Forums
New
Are you racist?
Yes
37.6%
No
62.4%
237 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 24, 2008 6:25 AM

May 2007
I was so sure there's already a thread like this. I think there were 2 or 3 even....
Dec 24, 2008 6:30 AM

Oct 2008
asandari said:

For starters, profiling. "The suspect is described as a 32 year old Caucasian male..."
And I never said anything about judging. Though I'll admit that my judgements may be unconsciously effected by my recognition that there are other races, I'm confident that this is human nature, and that everybody is the same. Whether they like it, or will admit it, or not. Admitting to it does not imply acceptance.

Though, sometimes these generalisations are important, they are used quite frequently in public speaking based on demographics. Demographics take more than race into account... but they do factor it in from time to time, and you have to admit that they can be effective (If for no other reason than highlighting some ironies, or as aarana also mentioned, irish drinking jokes to an audience of irish people for effect at the start of a speech... stuff like that.)

It seems like you are falling back on a less racist position. Recognizing that there are different races is not racism, nor is using it as a descriptor such as "that person has white skin and is caucasian". If you or your environment has trained your brain to automatically judge someone as being superior or inferior based on their race, that is not innate in humans. Even if it were, that would not justify it(human nature dictates many things, we use our intellect to recognize and counteract them to live in society).

So your comment does no address my comment that you are acting as an enabler by trying to justify the tendency people have to judge based on irrelevant characteristics(like race).
finyDec 24, 2008 7:05 AM
Dec 24, 2008 6:51 AM

Dec 2007
I have nearly every race in my family tree. Thanks to my Portuguese great-great-great-to-cube-great-father, who raped an indian, whose oldest child engaged with a black, whose second daughter married a Dutch, and so on. I think my family is missing Eskimo and Mongolians.

Therefore, really, I have a never-ending acceptance for any race, social group or whatever. Enough to say that a black person is black, a white person is white and an asian is asian. I never thought this would be racism. If it is, ok then, I'm a racist.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Dec 24, 2008 6:53 AM

Oct 2008
ladyxzeus said:
I have nearly every race in my family tree. Thanks to my Portuguese great-great-great-to-cube-great-father, who raped an indian, whose oldest child engaged with a black, whose second daughter married a Dutch, and so on. I think my family is missing Eskimo and Mongolians.

Therefore, really, I have a never-ending acceptance for any race, social group or whatever. Enough to say that a black person is black, a white person is white and an asian is asian. I never thought this would be racism. If it is, ok then, I'm a racist.

You see a black person as a BLACK person? OMG. Racist! :P.
Dec 24, 2008 6:57 AM
Oct 2008
No, racism is one of the things I detest most. Simple as that.
Dec 24, 2008 7:06 AM

Dec 2007
Zange said:
ladyxzeus said:

You see a black person as a BLACK person? OMG. Racist! :P.

Applies to anyone that ranges from "tinted black" (we actually have this expression) to light brown. xD

Personally, I am around #E6C077.
Dec 24, 2008 7:18 AM

Aug 2008
i have a thing against japanese people or some of them though I just can't understand them they are just cold and harsh Example on why im racist of japanese people or some its Yuji Naka's fault

I like their culture though but that don't mean i half to like those people
Dec 24, 2008 7:33 AM

Jul 2007
finy said:

It seems like you are falling back on a less racist position. Recognizing that there are different races is not racism, nor is using it as a descriptor such as "that person has white skin and is caucasian". If you or your environment has trained your brain to automatically judge someone as being superior or inferior based on their race, that is not innate in humans. Even if it were, that would not justify it(human nature dictates many things, we use our intellect to recognize and counteract them to live in society).

So your comment does no address my comment that you are acting as an enabler by trying to justify the tendency people have to judge based on irrelevant characteristics(like race).

Actually, it is natural, and innate. That's how the brain works. When we see something we recognise our first instinct is to apply the connections we have to that concept. Look at the article I linked earlier, the new study says that the 'race fear' defensive mechanism is weakened when one thinks of the other as an individual, or not part of a group.

You automatically do things, they are your habits. However, those are developed through repetitive use, you never automatically apply a connection, you only 'don't think about it' enough that you don't realise you are applying the connection (aka, subconscious thought).

This is my armchair philosophy. And, unless you produce to me a degree in psychology or some studies that refute some of my key axioms here, I won't believe that you should be punished for having had a racist thought. The only way that these thoughts are any kind of 'enabler' is that they desensitizes the individual to the guilt because they feel so much of it. In other words, I believe if we at least recognise that we have racist thoughts, and accept them, that we will be able to keep up a moral vigilance against true acts of hatred. (Such as not hiring someone because of their race.)

Not only that, it will prevent a taboo area of thought from developing that could prevent people from even beginning to realise when they apply racist logic. It's important to explore when we have these ideas so that we know when we are saying something with a less likely chance of having any truth than this arm chair philosophy that most users practice when discussing things like these on internet forums.

In essence, I'm arguing that if you recognise that there are other races, you will make weakly founded connections naturally from that (As your brain does its job). And I am saying that this is not your fault (as a human). However, I am not condoning blind application of racist logic either.

The point of this thread? Advocating self-awareness. As far as I'm concerned, and I think that accepting that you have racist thoughts is an important step in not accidentally committing racist actions.
(insert more rambling about thought crime here)
asandariDec 24, 2008 7:37 AM
Dec 24, 2008 7:45 AM

Aug 2007
asandari said:
finy said:

Actually, it is natural, and innate. That's how the brain works. When we see something we recognise our first instinct is to apply the connections we have to that concept. Look at the article I linked earlier, the new study says that the 'race fear' defensive mechanism is weakened when one thinks of the other as an individual, or not part of a group.

You automatically do things, they are your habits. However, those are developed through repetitive use, you never automatically apply a connection, you only 'don't think about it' enough that you don't realise you are applying the connection (aka, subconscious thought).

This is my armchair philosophy. And, unless you produce to me a degree in psychology or some studies that refute some of my key axioms here, I won't believe that you should be punished for having had a racist thought. The only way that these thoughts are any kind of 'enabler' is that they desensitizes the individual to the guilt because they feel so much of it. In other words, I believe if we at least recognise that we have racist thoughts, and accept them, that we will be able to keep up a moral vigilance against true acts of hatred. (Such as not hiring someone because of their race.)

Not only that, it will prevent a taboo area of thought from developing that could prevent people from even beginning to realise when they apply racist logic. It's important to explore when we have these ideas so that we know when we are saying something with a less likely chance of having any truth than this arm chair philosophy that most users practice when discussing things like these on internet forums.

In essence, I'm arguing that if you recognise that there are other races, you will make weakly founded connections naturally from that (As your brain does its job). And I am saying that this is not your fault (as a human). However, I am not condoning blind application of racist logic either.

The point of this thread? Advocating self-awareness. As far as I'm concerned.

I want your children. Please?

I don't think I could have said this better myself.

It reminds me of an addiction. You can't recognize addictions unless you become aware of them and admit them to yourselfs. A person has to identify the area's for improvement. racism has so many negative conotations (for good reasons in most cases) that people think that unless they are doing something negative to a person, that they are clean. I have never been mean to a person over race, I have never approved of someone over other people because of race. I have never not talked to a person because of race, So I don't think my admission makes myself a bad person by any means. I just realize and understand that there are some thoughts that I have, that I overcome.

Dec 24, 2008 8:06 AM

May 2008
Yeah. The evidence is there, the proof is there, it's not hard to see. The races are not equal. It's plain, simple, and obvious, people deny it with claims like "melanin doesn't effect your ability!" not realizing that it has nothing to do with melanin because they think everyone is racist just because of something stupid like skin color. People become so stupid that they can't tell the difference between "The races are not equal" and "Sieg Hail!".

So I'm going to make my case and let it be, because people who don't want to accept something this simple are not worth arguing with. It's a waste of time, like arguing with the religious.. it's willful ignorance. Accepting the truth doesn't mean you have to hate people, nor does it mean you have to think your own race is superior. It just means you adopt an accurate view of the world that matches with all the evidence. Anyway:

Income per household by race in America, 2006:
White people: $50,673
Hispanic people: $37,781 or .74 of white income
Black people: $31,969 or .63 of white income

In 1975:
White: $39,463
Hispanic: $28,350 .71 of white income
Black: $23,691 or .60 of white income

While so many things have changed in the last 33 years, with minorities currently being given preferential college admissions, more scholarship opportunities, and just simply less acceptance of racism due to modern political correctness.. the income gap remains almost exactly the same. I should point out that hispanics did not come here as slaves like black people did, and still demonstrate this lowered salary.

Is it any surprise that IQ data reflects this order as well?

This is also reflected in prison data [Taken from Bureau of Justice statistics]

"• An estimated 12% of black males,
3.7% of Hispanic males, and 1.7% of
white males in their late twenties were
in prison or jail."

Some people claim prison data is off because of drugs. However, according to Bureau of Justice statistics, between 1976 and 2005, black people, while 13 percent of the population, committed over 52 percent of the nation’s homicides and were 46 percent of the homicide victims. Ninety-four percent of black homicide victims had a black person as their murderer.

These differences are present in history though, as well, even before we were all living together in one society. Black people never invented a written language, and had few or no technological advancements for thousands of years. In fact, there are still black and amazon tribes that live like that to this day. There are no white tribes of this sort. Black people have gone all over the world, and yet almost every country populated by a majority of black people is in poverty compared to the first world.

However, we all know black people do better in many athletic competitions, such as basketball or sprinting, etc. Their bodies are built a bit differently, and I would attribute that to them living in the harsh environment of Africa, full of predators, where intelligence would take a backseat to the ability to run fast and have fast reflexes and whatnot.

I could go on and on about this. The differences are so plainly clear. The evidence is there and has always been there. It is not hard to understand. These are just the facts, no matter what we want them to be.

Does that mean I judge people by their race over their individual actions? No. It just means I'm more or less likely to like people of some races than I am likely to like people of other races. Their race has nothing to do with whether I like them or not, there just happens to be a higher or lower occurrence of certain types of people in different races. I still treat black people just like I would treat white people, I just accept that the races are not the same. I do not think my race makes me better than anyone, and I understand that "better" is a subjective definition anyway.
Dec 24, 2008 8:13 AM

Nov 2007
I was raised in a home where racism wasn't centerfold, but it definitely was there, so I struggle with it a bit. I've managed to overcome it to some degree, though. I've made friends with a lot of people who are a different color, including one of my best friends.
Dec 24, 2008 8:14 AM

Jan 2008
It's a waste of time, like arguing with the religious.. it's willful ignorance.

As a seasoned debater, I would assert this statement disqualifies you. :p As it takes just as much unscientific belief to assert there "is no God" as there "is a God".

In any case, that there is a gap in perceived races (at least in the U.S.) is not in debate, unless I missed something.

However, we all know black people do better in many athletic competitions, such as basketball or sprinting, etc. Their bodies are built a bit differently, and I would attribute that to them living in the harsh environment of Africa, full of predators, where intelligence would take a backseat to the ability to run fast and have fast reflexes and whatnot.

This, my friend, is a racist statement that holds NO factual base whatsoever. It has been disproved by geneticists the world-over. Humans have some of the lowest genetic diversity of any species on the planet. If you were to try to tout this idea in a profesional paper these days you could kiss your career goodbye. The idea of a genetic race based on the classical model no longer has any place in genetics or anthropology.
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!
Dec 24, 2008 8:17 AM

Jan 2008
Hehe Funny Quest
I Dont Think Im A Racist
Even Though I Joke About Different Race
Does That Make Me A Racist?Or Is Judging Others A Different Kind Of Racism!
You Know You Want My Muffin!

I Know U Do!
Dec 24, 2008 8:22 AM

May 2008

As a seasoned debater, I would assert this statement disqualifies you. :p As it takes just as much unscientific belief to assert there "is no God" as there "is a God".

In any case, that there is a gap in perceived races (at least in the U.S.) is not in debate, unless I missed something.

Yawn. It also takes a big assumption to turn "has debated with the religious" into "asserts that there is no god". All that debating with the religious infers is that you have argued that religious assertions are false.

No, the gap is not in debate, the obvious cause of it is. I'm sorry, but "Hurr durr the Apartheid and slavery" doesn't cut it and it doesn't string together a working explanation.

Mr_Panda said:
This, my friend, is a racist statement that holds NO factual base whatsoever. It has been disproved by geneticists the world-over. Humans have some of the lowest genetic diversity of any species on the planet. If you were to try to tout this idea in a profesional paper these days you could kiss your career goodbye. The idea of a genetic race based on the classical model no longer has any place in genetics or anthropology.

Your rebuttal holds no factual basis, does it now? Saying "geneticists blah blah" doesn't mean much in the face of reality. What race always wins the gold in olympic sprinting?

And sprinting is not necessarily even all that big among black people.. I've known plenty of black people, never any black sprinters..

Humans DO have genetic diversity. Just because it's lower than other species doesn't mean we're all exactly the same.

And the reason you would lose your job has nothing to do with what you were saying, you would lose your job because people don't care about whether you have evidence to back up what you're saying, if it's racist, people grab the torches and pitchforks.
hikkyDec 24, 2008 8:26 AM
Dec 24, 2008 8:29 AM

Aug 2008
Mr_Panda said:
If you were to try to tout this idea in a profesional paper these days you could kiss your career goodbye.
This is somewhat true, but not necessarily for the reason you stated. People just don't even want to discuss it. Remember what happened to Dr. James Watson last year? Lots of organizations cut ties with him over his latest comments. He's a notorious pot-stirrer and made a ton of questionable comments in the past, so this was hardly new. He found a new job though, so hardly a career killer.

Now I'm curious about how funding would be granted for such studies. How do you write the grant without sounding racist? I wouldn't know. I work in a completely different field with inanimate things.
Dec 24, 2008 9:00 AM

Dec 2007
The fact is that while humans have diversity there is not enough to have "races", in the meaning of "breeds", as far as studies go.

Dogs have them, cows have them. Cats somewhat do. If we're to compare with animals, we are like horses. Mustangs are way different than Lusitans, yet if you match up their genes there is not such a difference. Breeds are the step before a new species. Humans are not that far, and I doubt they ever will. Maybe we were, but we mixed.

Scientifically there is not genetic logical to "human breeds". For now, at least, who knows what we will discover tomorrow?

Note that there was never a study, at least that I knew of, trying to say "we're all the same". All the studies were to proof we are different and ended up with "we're all the same". How sad. xD

Still, a study on how certain "races" could be better task doers than others could be fund granted. It is scienfic and science does not meet with such things as "moral concepts" like "racism". Objectivity.
Dec 24, 2008 9:07 AM

May 2008
I remember in High School somebody asked me exactly the same question (the person who asked me was Algerian), and I answered quite honestly that yes, I am a racist.

I would never let my racism guide my judgements, meaning that I will deal with people according to their actions and not their race. However, I would certainly be lying if I told you that I am not racist. Though racist is not very precise: I am more of a nationalist - not so much the colour of the skin as the nationality of a person, that gives me some prejudices. It's just so much easier to put people into categories, no matter how wrong they are.
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Dec 24, 2008 9:09 AM

May 2008
ladyxzeus said:
The fact is that while humans have diversity there is not enough to have "races", in the meaning of "breeds", as far as studies go.

The problem is that it's a false conclusion to say "because humans do not have as much genetic diversity as most animals do, we all perform the same".

There's enough genetic diversity to affect the height of humans by 10+%, to affect things like bone density and structure, radically affect skin color, hair color, eye color, and so forth.

Why is it so hard for people to imagine that intelligence could also change by 10+%? Intelligence is just a question of brain size and efficiency. Sizes of everything else on the body change with race, why is it so strange that brain size might change as well?

It's not strange, people just don't like it.
Dec 24, 2008 9:11 AM

Jun 2008
Scud said:
Sick-Bastard said:
There is no such thing as a person who has absolutely no prejudice.
I suppose you've spoken to everyone then?

If anybody says they are 100% not racist, they are a complete and utter liar. This is fact. You don't have to talk to everybody to figure this out.
I'm back.
Dec 24, 2008 9:19 AM

Aug 2007
Sick-Bastard said:
Scud said:
Sick-Bastard said:
There is no such thing as a person who has absolutely no prejudice.
I suppose you've spoken to everyone then?

If anybody says they are 100% not racist, they are a complete and utter liar. This is fact. You don't have to talk to everybody to figure this out.

You also have to take into account what people think is racism. Your definition of racism is probably different than another person.

And Im not just talking about the text-book definition, that indisputable. Its like the old virgin vs non virgin debate. Are you only not a virgin once you have "oral sex" or are you not a virgin once you have out and out intercourse? People have been debating that as long as I can remember. Its the same with racism. Is a person a racist even if they haven't acted upon their instincts, or are thoughts enough?

Dec 24, 2008 9:23 AM

Mar 2005
itainteazy said:
Of course.

eazy haet teh black ppl :D *gives eazy some fried chicken*
Dec 24, 2008 9:23 AM

Dec 2007
hikky said:
ladyxzeus said:

The problem is that it's a false conclusion to say "because humans do not have as much genetic diversity as most animals do, we all perform the same".

There's enough genetic diversity to affect the height of humans by 10+%, to affect things like bone density and structure, radically affect skin color, hair color, eye color, and so forth.

Why is it so hard for people to imagine that intelligence could also change by 10+%? Intelligence is just a question of brain size and efficiency. Sizes of everything else on the body change with race, why is it so strange that brain size might change as well?

It's not strange, people just don't like it.

That difference is not significative.

Maybe it is not significative because we're humans and not other animals, but the fact is that it's labeled with those big red letters (in caps).

Still, a study in the moulds I suggested could clarify many things about this. I don't know why nobody ever does comparative studies between human "races". Maybe it's because of all the "black" thing. So do it between Chinese and Danish.

Socially, "races" don't affect me that much. Except for the fuckers from the "African Help Project", that give idiots that never studied, scholarships for faculty studies. I pay almost 800€ per month and my classmate pays 200€ because she's black. Now that is racism. But, ignoring this fact, I like this classmate, she is nice and wakes me up when I fall asleep in class. ^_^
Dec 24, 2008 9:24 AM

Oct 2008
as someone said to me about the difference between islam and muslims...
I don`t hate the religion and so on. I just hate the muslims that lives around in my country.
Dec 24, 2008 9:27 AM

Mar 2005
ladyxzeus said:

Still, a study in the moulds I suggested could clarify many things about this. I don't know why nobody ever does comparative studies between human "races". Maybe it's because of all the "black" thing. So do it between Chinese and Danish.

ah, but there has!

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=8088

of course, when I brought this up back then, everyone completely shot down the results of those numerous studies as bunk
Dec 24, 2008 9:29 AM

Jun 2008
Aarana said:
Are you only not a virgin once you have "oral sex" or are you not a virgin once you have out and out intercourse? People have been debating that as long as I can remember.

What, since the Clinton Administration? XD

I see what you're saying though. I still believe that whatever your definition of racist is, everybody has it a little bit.
I'm back.
Dec 24, 2008 9:34 AM

Dec 2007
kei-clone said:
ladyxzeus said:

ah, but there has!

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=8088

of course, when I brought this up back then, everyone completely shot down the results of those numerous studies as bunk

The more I read it the less that article looks scientifical. I remember there was a big commotion some time ago about this, but only regular magazines focused on it. The scientific ones kept with their useless articles about citokines and wall receivers... =(
Dec 24, 2008 9:36 AM

Mar 2005
ladyxzeus said:

The more I read it the less that article looks scientifical. I remember there was a big commotion some time ago about this, but only regular magazines focused on it. The scientific ones kept with their useless articles about citokines and wall receivers... =(

well...the article itself is an editorial on Slate.com, not exactly a science magazine lol. Within that article contain numerous links to real scientific articles though. Those science articles are also 60page pdfs, so the main Slate article breaks everything down to summary, which perhaps could be easier for some to attack.
Dec 24, 2008 9:38 AM

Feb 2008
I am not racist. Bitch.
Dec 24, 2008 9:38 AM

Aug 2008
i'm intolerant towards intolerant people. is that wrong?
Dec 24, 2008 9:41 AM

Dec 2007
kei-clone said:
ladyxzeus said:

well...the article itself is an editorial on Slate.com, not exactly a science magazine lol. Within that article contain numerous links to real scientific articles though. Those science articles are also 60page pdfs, so the main Slate article breaks everything down to summary, which perhaps could be easier for some to attack.

Still, I think the approach "one may be better than another" is what makes all the articles of the sort so disgusting.

We should approach as "one may have better developed skills", so everyone is happy. Plus, comparing older communities (Africa) with Europe and America (very recent) does not make much sense in my head. It would be more intelligent to compare ancient communities and smile at the results.
Dec 24, 2008 9:43 AM

Aug 2007
gswelcome said:

HAHA. That describes alot right in a nutshell.

Dec 24, 2008 9:45 AM

Mar 2005
ladyxzeus said:
Still, I think the approach "one may be better than another" is what makes all the articles of the sort so disgusting.

We should approach as "one may have better developed skills", so everyone is happy. Plus, comparing older communities (Africa) with Europe and America (very recent) does not make much sense in my head. It would be more intelligent to compare ancient communities and smile at the results.

yea the results of these studies could easily be exaggerated by extremists for their own purposes, but science is science. We just have to be careful and take these studies for what they are. However, the article clearly states that in no way do those studies conclude that one race is "better" than another.

The studies (this is plural now, numerous studies not just one errant biased study) claim that there are intellectual advantages among Asians and Jews while those of African descent suffer disadvantages. It's a give/take situation, because Africans also enjoy physical and sexual advantages that Asians seem to lack in. This is comforting to know because that eliminates the conclusion that any race can be considered outright "superior". Also the studies are careful to emphasize that these are averages and do not apply universally to all individuals, and thus judging that an African is dumb based on his skin color makes you dumber than he is.
Dec 24, 2008 9:48 AM

Aug 2007
I never was racist. but there were times my parents only wanted me around hispanics. ;.;
Dec 24, 2008 9:49 AM

Feb 2008
There is such thing as not being racist, TS is just an idiot who has never heard of a GOOD person. Very rare in this world, BUT THERE ARE SOME.
Dec 24, 2008 9:54 AM

Aug 2008
Aarana said:
gswelcome said:

when i lose control on my opinions of people who voted for Prop 8 in California for instance.... not pretty ;)

Dec 24, 2008 9:59 AM

May 2008
gswelcome said:
Aarana said:
gswelcome said:

when i lose control on my opinions of people who voted for Prop 8 in California for instance.... not pretty ;)

You're just a different breed of intolerant. Doesn't make you any less pathetic. Being intolerant of intolerant people isn't just a cute saying, it's blatant hypocrisy, it means you can't live up to your own standards. Tolerant means you accept things you don't like, and it turns out most people, including you, are intolerant.
Dec 24, 2008 10:00 AM

May 2008
I read your post (kei-clone) and some info on Watson. Didn't bother to read the article since it isn't in a scientific journal or written by an expert. I am lenient to accept what Watson is saying. It also agree that it is quite absurd to assume all men are created equal. If that were the case there would be no need for evaluations.

Now, what I am about to say is not necessarily very scientific. I like to believe in the existence of human free will. Claims that genetics can affect the personality of individuals do not sink in well with me. I mean, unless a person has some genetic abnormality that causes unnatural growth I don't think fat people are fat because of genetics - sure, they may be more predisposed, but it's all in their hands how fat they will become, depending on how much they eat.

Sure, there are a a lot of differences between individuals. As a sum total, black populations may indeed be less intelligent than white populations. Saying it's due to genetics is pushing it too far - for me, no matter how you look at it, intelligence depends on training, just like muscle mass depends on how often you lift weights. Sure, if you are "less intelligent" it will be more difficult for you to study, but it's by studying that you become "more intelligent". Even if genetics play a role, it's only a minor role.
Dec 24, 2008 10:11 AM

Mar 2005
georgi said:
I read your post (kei-clone) and some info on Watson. Didn't bother to read the article since it isn't in a scientific journal or written by an expert.

*facepalm* like I just said, the article contains links to multiple articles written in scientific journals, but the article I linked to is a good summary since those scientific journals are TL;DR 60page pdfs
Dec 24, 2008 10:16 AM

Dec 2007
The fact is that depending on the place of the world where you live you may have a different type of intelligence.

For example, France is a rich country. It has great cultive lands and good environment. You get food without much work and therefore you have more time to do nothing. You develop what we nowadays call "intelligence", which is more like "culture". Angola is also a rich country. However, the heat of the place is not very work inspiring. Therefore the ancient Africans found better ways to find food, which probably took longer. The rest of the time they probably spent having sex and sleeping, two very enjoyable activities. Therefore they developed practical intelligence, understandment of the surroundings etc. This "development" ends up being imprinted genetically. For example, my city has a statue of a king on a horse that is stomping snakes. Pidgeons do not dare to approach that statue, because they have an imprinted genetical knowledge that snakes shall not be approached.

Still with Angola, most people that go there to work come back exhasperated because "the Angolans can't seem to get organized, to have any kind of common sense that is not related to possessions or vanity. All of them are corrupt and they can't understand simple tasks". I don't call this "lack of intelligence" (forgive the stereotype. My Angolan friend enjoys an undeserved scholarship but she is not corrupt). I call this "different intelligence". While we trained ourselves over generations to be able to write these mini essays online, they trained themselves over generations to be prettier, healthier and fucking richer than anyone else around. Ancient tribes were like that. Descriptions of the first Portuguese sailors to set a foot on Africa say "all the women were richly decorated even though we could see their breasts and the men showed unvulnerable pride". For people living in stray houses that's pretty much amazing.

Intelligence is indeed attached to genetics but in a different way than what explained in high school. In the beggining genes knew to eat, sleep and reproduce. Then, inspired by the environment, they learned new things. The most repeated stayed there forever. They can be taken and renewed thanks to the environment, but it's so hard that, even nowadays, we have hints of our primitive habits.
Dec 24, 2008 10:17 AM

May 2008
kei-clone said:
georgi said:
I read your post (kei-clone) and some info on Watson. Didn't bother to read the article since it isn't in a scientific journal or written by an expert.

*facepalm* like I just said, the article contains links to multiple articles written in scientific journals, but the article I linked to is a good summary since those scientific journals are TL;DR 60page pdfs

I am sorry if you took it as a criticism. It was more of an apology, because of my own laziness that would not allow me to take the time and read it through.
Dec 24, 2008 11:24 AM

May 2007
No. And I think it's irrational to assume that everybody is. Yes, I have prejudices, but it never has to do with something that someone can't control.

itainteazy said:
Of course.

HAHAHAHAHA
Dec 24, 2008 11:59 AM

Aug 2008
hikky said:
gswelcome said:
Aarana said:
gswelcome said:

You're just a different breed of intolerant. Doesn't make you any less pathetic. Being intolerant of intolerant people isn't just a cute saying, it's blatant hypocrisy, it means you can't live up to your own standards. Tolerant means you accept things you don't like, and it turns out most people, including you, are intolerant.

yes i'm exactly the same, i should respect people who hate others and cover it up in the name of "religion" or "decency' or what is "normal". right. i'm sorry but i will have nothing but contempt for those who try to make other people second class citizens and i will not keep quiet about it. and it is even worse when it not only becomes their own private opinion but then try and force their backwards beliefs on others. just shrugging it off is not something any decent person should do. following your way would be cowardly, just letting injustices go by because to do otherwise would be to go against THEIR beliefs? no. if this makes you look down at me than i think it is you who needs to evaluate themself.
Dec 24, 2008 12:31 PM

Feb 2008
Damn them Replicators

L2 Search - http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/3/9/L2_Search_by_Siya_Akuma.jpg
We're all getting trolled by Mayans. They probably thought "Fuck this shit, let's end the calendar and say shit's gonna go down."
Dec 24, 2008 12:43 PM

May 2008
gswelcome said:

yes i'm exactly the same, i should respect people who hate others and cover it up in the name of "religion" or "decency' or what is "normal". right. i'm sorry but i will have nothing but contempt for those who try to make other people second class citizens and i will not keep quiet about it. and it is even worse when it not only becomes their own private opinion but then try and force their backwards beliefs on others. just shrugging it off is not something any decent person should do. following your way would be cowardly, just letting injustices go by because to do otherwise would be to go against THEIR beliefs? no. if this makes you look down at me than i think it is you who needs to evaluate themself.

If I look down on you for anything, it's because you're 24 years old and have the English of a child in grade school.

But that's aside from the point. If you claim intolerance is wrong, you have no excuse for being intolerant yourself. I'm not cowardly, I just don't care. People will do what they want to do, and you're not perfect, and nobody else is perfect, because perfection doesn't exist. Before you criticize everyone else for what they're doing, stop doing it yourself. People with this "holier than thou" attitude get really annoying.

So gay people can't get married in the state of their choosing. Do I care? No. 12 year old children also can't drive or get a job, no matter how much they might want to. Chemo patients can't keep their hair, even if they're fond of it. Quadriplegics can't wipe themselves after they take a dump. Shit happens, life is not fair, get over it.
Dec 24, 2008 12:49 PM

Jun 2008
Drybananna said:
There is such thing as not being racist, TS is just an idiot who has never heard of a GOOD person. Very rare in this world, BUT THERE ARE SOME.

Being racist has nothing to do with whether you are a good person or not. There are plenty of "good people" who are just a bit racist. Being racist doesn't automatically make you such a terrible person.

So, these 'good' people that you speak of, who are they?
I'm back.
Dec 24, 2008 12:54 PM

Feb 2007
I don't make judgements based on skin colour, thanks.

I make judgements based on personality, and if you are a dumbass, then you are a dumbass. :)
Dec 24, 2008 12:57 PM

Apr 2007
Sick-Bastard said:
I'm guessing Helen Keller probably wasn't racist. Or, if she was, I'd rather not think of why.
Dec 24, 2008 1:04 PM

May 2008
Iri said:
Sick-Bastard said:
I'm guessing Helen Keller probably wasn't racist. Or, if she was, I'd rather not think of why.

She made judgements depending the way one feels to the touch?
Dec 24, 2008 1:12 PM

Aug 2007
Iri said:
Sick-Bastard said:

One thing you learn about when working on the phones is tone of voice. I don't see people when I talk to them, but you better believe i know exactly what ethnic background they come from. Not only from tone of voice, but from mannerisms as well. You don't need to see color to profile....trust me :) So while she can't hear, Im assuming that the way people talked to her (through the hand obviously) was an indication of who people were.

Now Im not saying she was racist, but it is possible.

Dec 24, 2008 1:19 PM

Jan 2008
I'd like to think of myself as not racist (at least when compared to some of the racist fanatics out there).

Sick-Bastard said:
The title should read, "Are you ready to admit that you're racist?".
What's the point of making a poll out of a rhetorical question? :P
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.