Are you racist?
Yes
37.6%
No
62.4%
237 votes
Dec 23, 2008 11:05 PM

Jun 2008
The title should read, "Are you ready to admit that you're racist?".

Everybody is racist to a certain degree. Prove me wrong. Some more than others. There is no such thing as a person who has absolutely no prejudice.

Me? I'm probably more prejudice than the average person, but is there anything wrong with that? The only person I'm hurting is myself - I don't see how that is such a big problem to other people.

I don't understand how people can be so blind to think that racism is such a terrible thing, and a thing that only terrible people do, when in reality, everybody is racist, and it is completely normal.

Oh, and if anybody gets offended by this topic, LEAVE.
I'm back.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 23, 2008 11:19 PM

May 2008
Nothing wrong with racism. Just don't go out and burn some crosses.
Dec 23, 2008 11:24 PM
Jul 2008
This reminds me of one of Avenue Q's songs. As you said, everyone is racist to a certain degree.

You grow up learning from your peers, your family, your whole environment. I don't know... it's just difficult to not be racist. I guess the best thing to do is to keep it to yourself and not take things overboard.
Dec 23, 2008 11:31 PM

Sep 2007
well, the general demographic of my school kind of did rub off on me
Dec 24, 2008 12:19 AM

Jan 2008
Quick reminder of defenitions here, people. To be racist is
" a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others".

That's the primary defenition. It also includes actions based on that prejudice, of course.

So, no, I highly doubt everyone is "racist", which is an inherently negative form of discrimination (everyone discriminates, but that's a much broader term). The ability to notice differences is not racist.
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!
Dec 24, 2008 12:21 AM

Oct 2007
I'm dutch..

My best friend is German, i hang out with Chinese people almost every weekend have a few polish and Spanish friends..

so yeah!!
Dec 24, 2008 12:35 AM

Aug 2007
Yes.

Simple.
Dec 24, 2008 12:36 AM

Apr 2008
nope i might dislike some countries but that has nothing to do with their race.also here in Australia I've have so much shit in school and out cos parents migrants so they don't really speak English, only when have to like to some who doesn't know their language.
I've have stuff like "this is Australia speak English", "go back where you came from" and just plain harassment cos of it

oko za oko, zub za zub - eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth
Dec 24, 2008 12:36 AM

Oct 2006
Of course.
Dec 24, 2008 12:38 AM

Oct 2007
to a point where i remember to lock my doors when a black guy walks past me car.

na if anything just racist jokes but im cool with everyone. not sure about white people tho.

Dreamt Of You Again
Under The Sakura Tree
Just Like We Promised

CLICK HERE TO SEE ME NAKED
Dec 24, 2008 12:39 AM

Jul 2007
No.
Dec 24, 2008 12:50 AM

Oct 2008
I am racist, yes. I say a lot of racial slurs and very rude and uncouth things which are directed at races other than mine, but the level of seriousness that I actually feel behind said words isn't to a very high degree at all. But I am still quite racist, yes.
Dec 24, 2008 12:56 AM

Sep 2007
Screw all you white people. (Make note, I'm a white guy.)
Dec 24, 2008 1:07 AM

Sep 2008
Eh.

I wouldn't really call it racist (okay maybe I will), but I am to the stereotypical black person that gives the actual good ones a bad name. Meaning I don't act like them with how they talk, walk, ect. (Referring to the ghetto ones)

If anything, I'm an oreo.
Dec 24, 2008 1:08 AM

Oct 2008
Everyone is racist. Those who deny it are liars. There is a thing as tolerance, but no such thing as not being racist... /thread.
Dec 24, 2008 1:11 AM

Dec 2008
Sick-Bastard said:

*ahum*

Sick-Bastard said:
Everybody is racist to a certain degree. Prove me wrong. Some more than others. There is no such thing as a person who has absolutely no prejudice.

Answer given.
★♥ マイケル ♥★
"If you obey the rules - You miss all the fun" [Kumashiro Maya]
Dec 24, 2008 1:13 AM

Jul 2007
Sick-Bastard said:
There is no such thing as a person who has absolutely no prejudice.
I suppose you've spoken to everyone then?
Dec 24, 2008 1:14 AM

Aug 2008
yeah, yeah i am, very much so

i can't help it, i live in an isolated area where the only people from other races fit the stereotypes perfectly so i go by what i have seen.

plus it's kinda fun =\
Dec 24, 2008 1:19 AM

Jul 2006

I have black people in my family tree. If I recall, they're still hanging there.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 24, 2008 1:23 AM
Dec 24, 2008 1:25 AM

Oct 2007
Black people scare me.
Dec 24, 2008 1:28 AM

Jun 2008
Sick-Bastard said:

Me? I'm probably more prejudice than the average person, but is there anything wrong with that? The only person I'm hurting is myself - I don't see how that is such a big problem to other people.

I don't understand how people can be so blind to think that racism is such a terrible thing, and a thing that only terrible people do, when in reality, everybody is racist, and it is completely normal.

What to you mean everyone is a racist? I am not. I don't have even one racist cell in my whole body. I love all people.

Why would you say such terrible things?
You must be a horrible person. I know you must be black or a Jew. That's why you are so terrible.
Dec 24, 2008 1:46 AM

Apr 2007
Aji said:
You grow up learning from your peers, your family, your whole environment
Well, I grew up watching nothing but Archie Bunker reruns, so I know I'm in the clear in all them matters of racing and religosity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDMQPfGYTwU
Dec 24, 2008 1:50 AM

Nov 2006
itainteazy said:
Of course.
Dec 24, 2008 1:58 AM

Sep 2008
windy said:
itainteazy said:
Of course.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2ai58h1.gif
Lol >>
Dec 24, 2008 2:12 AM

Nov 2007
There's a vast difference between having prejudices and being a racist. -.-

"Sanity is overrated."
Dec 24, 2008 2:21 AM

Jul 2008
Personally, I'm a racist towards every race, including my own.

Azamat said:

Not that I can tell. A quick look at a dictionary even shows prejudice based on race as a definition.
Dec 24, 2008 2:24 AM

Dec 2008
No... just a simple american boy... :D
Dec 24, 2008 2:43 AM

Oct 2008
in real life... yes. over the internet, not quite.
Dec 24, 2008 3:23 AM

Oct 2008
To anyone who thinks everyone is racist and that logically everyone has a bias towards their own race and feels theirs is superior, I have one word for you. Evolution.

A difference in melanin and the recent branching of Homo sapiens does not give any reason to believe anyone is superior. Being racist is illogical. If you have a problem with how someone acts, it is due to certain experiences they have had after being born, and has no connection to their race. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you will realize that attributing things to someone's race is wrong.

Either you just don't comprehend that, are misusing the word "racist", or are trying to find a way to justify yourself and the way you have been taught by your upbringing to think.
finyDec 24, 2008 4:06 AM
Dec 24, 2008 3:23 AM

Nov 2007
Vagabond said:

Azamat said:

Not that I can tell. A quick look at a dictionary even shows prejudice based on race as a definition.

There's a difference between:

"All black people love KFC."

And

"All black people are worth less than White people."

"Sanity is overrated."
Dec 24, 2008 3:24 AM

Oct 2008
Azamat said:

racism |ˈrāˌsizəm|
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
• prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief : a program to combat racism.

prejudice |ˈprejədəs|
noun
1 preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience : English prejudice against foreigners | anti-Jewish prejudices. See note at bias .
• dislike, hostility, or unjust behavior formed on such a basis : accusations of racial prejudice.
2 chiefly Law harm or injury that results or may result from some action or judgment : prejudice resulting from delay in the institution of the proceedings.
verb [ trans. ]
1 give rise to prejudice in (someone); make biased : the statement might prejudice the jury.
2 chiefly Law cause harm to (a state of affairs) : delay is likely to prejudice the child's welfare.

You sir. have lost.
Dec 24, 2008 3:28 AM

Oct 2008
Azamat said:
Vagabond said:

Azamat said:

There's a difference between:

"All black people love KFC."

And

"All black people are worth less than White people."

The first statement was generated as a humors joke none the less. The second is personal opinion, I fail to see how that has to do with what you said earlier. The latter certainly is being racist, but the first statement isn't more so prejudiced than a smile joke. To have a bias against someone is prejudice, not the aforementioned "joke"
Dec 24, 2008 3:33 AM

Nov 2007
" Prejudices are abstract-general preconceptions or abstract-general attitudes towards any type of situation object or person."

Sure, there are racial prejudices which makes that specific prejudice "Racist".

But the definition of a prejudice is unrelated to ethnic differences.

*Edited: ==> " You sir. have lost."
AzamatDec 24, 2008 4:29 AM

"Sanity is overrated."
Dec 24, 2008 3:57 AM

Dec 2008
Immigrants.
Dec 24, 2008 4:12 AM

Dec 2007
Sick-Bastard said:

No. Fuck that. You essentially told me to "admit I was a racist". I'm going nowhere until I've said my peace.

NO, I'm not a racist. I don't like black people enough to think they're superior to another race. In fact, one look at people in general and it's hard to say (or even think) that any WHOLE race can be superior to another whole race. Its a fucking retarded way of thinking.

If you'd asked, do I dislike certain people, then you might've gotten a yes out of me. Honestly, while I'll help even people I dislike, the fact is that I dislike a large portion of the human population. (USUALLY, because they ask stupid fucking questions like this.) But even THAT is a bit different from most people, as I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong (if I think I am...sometimes I don't and people get half-assed apologies so I can get rid of them) and that I've misjudged a person.

Am I racist? I've bared my heart and soul and some of my innermost thoughts, no matter how embarassing, to a few women over the course of my life, and NONE of them were of the same race as me. (Why is this important? Well, because I only date women that I honestly feel are my equal, or my better.) Of course, this might draw thoughts that I'm racist against my own race, which is equally untrue--I've just never met a woman of my own race with whom I have anything in common. (Sad or annoying or whatever, fact: The only black women I've ever met that like anime OR video games are within my own family. As I only date women that like anime and video games...)

Now, do people feel more comfortable around people of their own race? Depends. Sometimes its a case of having more in common with them, in which case yeah--we all feel more comfortable around people we have more in common with. But that's not racism. It MAY count as discrimination though.

You'd have been better off asking this, since we all discriminate. For instance, I discriminate against stupid people. Not actually mentally disabled people, just plain stupid people. But you didn't ask that. You asked if I was racist, then went on to pull one of those, "Have you stopped beating your wife questions". Well, screw that.

If you're racist? Fine, whatever, I could give a fuck. Go cry in a corner about it and cut yourself or something. But don't throw that shit on me and everyone else so you can feel better; its not appreciated.

Hm. That may've been a bit much. I need to go cool off. I got a little too "serious business!!" about this recent bit of internet idiocy.

Done with the thread now though.
SageShinigamiDec 24, 2008 5:03 AM
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Dec 24, 2008 4:26 AM

Oct 2008
Yes, against muslims. I won`t bother to explain, because I don`t think everybody will really understand why.
Dec 24, 2008 4:49 AM
Sep 2008
Zange said:
Everyone is racist. Those who deny it are liars. There is a thing as tolerance, but no such thing as not being racist... /thread.
Dec 24, 2008 5:19 AM

Aug 2007
Zange said:

This.

Everyone can justify the reason why they are not racist by listing every little excuse they can remember. A few short moments in their widely expanding life.

However, one chooses not to remember those moments where a random comment popped into their head when seeing a person who seemed to fit that certain stereo-type that was oh-so-funny or oh-so-scary.

I like to think of myself as a very accepting, tolerant, well mannered and behaved person. I accept people of all races shapes and sizes to my life, and I don't discriminate based on that, but I am comfortable enough to admit that there are those thoughts. Everyone has them. You can't control your thinking, sometimes they are just there. Pre-conditions and all that. That KFC picture on the first page? I laughed my ass off at that.

The point here is actions. Things may go on in my head without thinking, but its the actions that really matter.

Dec 24, 2008 5:20 AM

Jul 2008
Racist pricks. Fuck you all.
Dec 24, 2008 5:22 AM

Oct 2008
QFT!. I agree with everything you said Aarana
Dec 24, 2008 5:28 AM

Dec 2007
Aarana said:
Zange said:

This.

Everyone can justify the reason why they are not racist by listing every little excuse they can remember. A few short moments in their widely expanding life.

However, one chooses not to remember those moments where a random comment popped into their head when seeing a person who seemed to fit that certain stereo-type that was oh-so-funny or oh-so-scary.

I like to think of myself as a very accepting, tolerant, well mannered and behaved person. I accept people of all races shapes and sizes to my life, and I don't discriminate based on that, but I am comfortable enough to admit that there are those thoughts. Everyone has them. You can't control your thinking, sometimes they are just there. Pre-conditions and all that. That KFC picture on the first page? I laughed my ass off at that.

The point here is actions. Things may go on in my head without thinking, but its the actions that really matter.

^ There you go. The word 'stereotype' didn't pop up out of nowhere you know.

Jul 2007
Aww, Azamat has already covered my semantic bickerings. D:
Nonetheless, yes, I am racist.
I believe that Jamacans are generally more athletic than Caucasians. I believe that the Chinese are generally smaller than Africans. (With very limited statistical support on either side). Yes, I can classify people by race, and use it to describe people. Hell, even if I had statistical backings, I'd still be differentiating by race, and assigning attributes to classes, which is racist.

Though I will do my best to treat these people the same, because I realise that they are slightly different, I'll always waver unconsciously. (I do the same for Female vs. Male, they want to be the exact same as men, so I treat them the exact same as men. Yeah, I'm just bitter towards femi-nazis.)

Furthermore, I'll bring another psychological concept unrelated to the above admission. I'm freaking afraid of people of a different race. Why?
1) I do not want to offend them
Note: "Now a provocative new study from Northwestern University suggests that whites who are particularly worried about appearing racist seem to suffer from anxiety that instinctively may cause them to avoid interaction with blacks in the first place."
2) This concept. It's not that I will avoid people of other races altogether, but it's harder for me to recognize their faces because I just haven't seen as many. (In fact, there was like 4 black people and 2 asians in my school when I went there, and I didn't even look at the white people.) It doesn't help that I already spend most of my time looking at people's feet (no matter the race) because of an irrational fear that they will start kicking me and spitting on me (not literally) if I show them any form of disrespect.

See why I hate myself in this obnoxious statment(s):

So yes, taking out the negative connotations of the word 'racism', I damn well do realise there are other races, and I do make connections based on them. (As all humans do naturally by learning). And it does lead to some of the episodes too, which aarana explained whilst I was writing this post. And as the extreme idealist that I am, I feel fucking guilty about it. The only reason I'm able to admit this is because I live a double standard, I am actually very self conscious about it.

Jul 2007
Aarana said:
That KFC picture on the first page? I laughed my ass off at that.

Let's say you replace KFC with Starbucks and the black kid with a white kid. Is it still as funny?
Dec 24, 2008 5:44 AM

Aug 2007
Scud said:
Aarana said:
That KFC picture on the first page? I laughed my ass off at that.

Let's say you replace KFC with Starbucks and the black kid with a white kid. Is it still as funny?

Depends. If its a white kid wearing all black holding a poety book, definitely. Ever hear white people can't play basketball? It works all ways. Every race has something that defines them. Every race has something that people grasp onto for humor purposes (just watch any movie out there...stereotypes abound!). I laugh at the white ones as well as the other jokes that are made. Im irish. Do you know how many drunk jokes I have to hear? Tons! (most of the time Im saying them myself!)....but I don't drink. I dare you to say that you haven't laughed at a single stereotype your whole entire life.

Do I actually believe all black people are obsessed with KFC? Absolutely Not

Dec 24, 2008 5:49 AM

May 2008
French people.
Dec 24, 2008 6:01 AM

Oct 2008
asandari said:
Yes, I can classify people by race, and use it to describe people.

Sure you can, but what's the point? It is extremely illogical to judge an individual based on the race they happen to be. By doing so and attempting to justify it you are acting as enablers for strong racists like the KKK or *insert a race here* pride.

And n00batanime... For fuck sake. Muslim(Islam) is a religion not a race. If you are going to be racist or bigoted against something at least figure out what it is.
Dec 24, 2008 6:04 AM

Jun 2008
A bit.

I do engage in racial jokes from time to time and laugh a bit at all those 4chan pictures.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Dec 24, 2008 6:08 AM

Jul 2007
finy said:
asandari said:
Yes, I can classify people by race, and use it to describe people.

Sure you can, but what's the point? It is extremely illogical to judge an individual based on the race they happen to be. By doing so and attempting to justify it you are acting as enablers for strong racists like the KKK or *insert a race here* pride.

And n00batanime... For fuck sake. Muslim(Islam) is a religion not a race. If you are going to be racist or bigoted against something at least figure out what it is.

For starters, profiling. "The suspect is described as a 32 year old Caucasian male..."
And I never said anything about judging. Though I'll admit that my judgements may be unconsciously effected by my recognition that there are other races, I'm confident that this is human nature, and that everybody is the same. Whether they like it, or will admit it, or not. Admitting to it does not imply acceptance.

Though, sometimes these generalisations are important, they are used quite frequently in public speaking based on demographics. Demographics take more than race into account... but they do factor it in from time to time, and you have to admit that they can be effective (If for no other reason than highlighting some ironies, or as aarana also mentioned, irish drinking jokes to an audience of irish people for effect at the start of a speech... stuff like that.)
Dec 24, 2008 6:22 AM

Jan 2008
No (your vote)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.