Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 21, 2013 9:35 AM
Jun 2009
Other than anime, do you like any animated TV series?

Not counting the compilations of old theatrical shorts such as Looney Tunes, my own favourites are all relatively new-ish American shows, like the 90s Simpsons, Futurama, Duckman, Avatar, Samurai Jack, and Invader Zim.

I still need to watch things like Batman TAS, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Tartakovsky's Clone Wars, Sym-Bionic Titan, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Little Lulu, Ducktales, and the French series Once Upon a Time...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 21, 2013 9:46 AM

Sep 2012
Eon kid and bekkom
Apr 21, 2013 9:47 AM

Jun 2010
I am a big fan of Adventure Time but I also like a lot of classic Nickelodeon cartoons like Doug
Apr 21, 2013 9:49 AM

Jul 2012
The Legend of Korra is the greatest piece of animation that isn't anime ever, I believe. Animaniacs is also a brilliant cartoon that is high up there.
Honorable mention should go to Sym-Bionic Titan, Code Lyoko, Looney Tunes, Gravity Falls, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
But really, I suppose objectively the greatest is Looney Tunes.
Apr 21, 2013 9:50 AM

Feb 2013
Samurai Jack
Apr 21, 2013 10:17 AM

Mar 2013
missyukari said:
Duckman

Duckman was alright, but the best bits were the bits where they played Frank Zappa's music.

I often feel like my fondness for certain cartoons is only as strong as it is because I remember it from a time when my only responsibility was wiping my own arse, and that even hadn't been my task for long, but Powdered Toast Man takes some beating, to be honest.
Apr 21, 2013 10:38 AM
Jun 2009
PachucoCadaver said:
missyukari said:
Duckman

Duckman was alright, but the best bits were the bits where they played Frank Zappa's music.

I don't even remember the music!

It's just a hilarious show. Around season 3 it rivaled The Simpsons in quality.
Apr 21, 2013 10:47 AM

Apr 2013
My top three would be The grim adventures, Courage the cowardly dog and PPG. I'm not sure how the last two have aged and I'd prefer not to find out.

I adore FiM, though with recent developments we may need to wait a few moths before seeing the damage, the comics (main arc is amazing, the micros not so much) might just surpass the show. I follow Adventure Time but I can't bring myself to be all that keen about it, a lot of their episodes seem to just be weird for the sake of it. They push out some great episodes and I do find it's worth taking the good with the bad, the ice kings story-line being a stroke of genius. It does seem to be getting better, would love to see a film in production from this one. Gravity Falls has been a hard one to follow with their breaks and what not, but it seems decent enough. For the past few episodes nothings really stood out.

I've yet to see Legends of Korra, the genre doesn't interest me all that much so it's a fair bit back on my list. The more adult orientated cartoons I've been growing tired of, the only I can really watch now is American Dad.
Apr 21, 2013 10:55 AM

Apr 2011
There's tons of great American animation. Too much to list really. A lot of it is aimed at young kids, but not all of it. It's kind of too bad that Disney in America has focused so much on the Pixar 3d type animation, nothing wrong with that but c'mon hand drawn is best. Some I like, "some".

Futurama
Adventure Time With Finn and Jake
King of the Hill
Super Jail
X-Men: The Animated Series
Rocko's Modern Life
Ren & Stimpy
The Venture Bros.
South Park
Batman: Animated Series
Batman Beyond
Spawn: Animated Series
Angry Beavers
Pinky and the Brain

I'm leaving a ton out, but there's quality animated shows outside of Japan. Most of them tend to be comedy though.
Apr 21, 2013 11:20 AM

Oct 2008
I never completed most of them, but these are probably my favorites:

Ed, Edd & Eddy
Jackie Chan Adventures (kinda animeish)
Courage the cowardly dog
Rocko's Mordern Life
TMNT (1987 & 2003)
Gargoyles
Pinky and the Brain
Batman/Beyond
The Simpsons (duh, for the most part)
Apr 21, 2013 4:18 PM

Feb 2005
Definitely Archer.
Don't watch a lot non-anime animation, but, but I doubt there's much as awesome as Archer.
Apr 21, 2013 4:27 PM

Jul 2007
There's a ton of great non-Japanese TV animation. Narrowing it down to the highest tier, I'd say...

Archer
Adventure Time
Animaniacs!
Batman: The Animated Series
The Boondocks
Daria
Moral Orel
Rocko's Modern Life
The Simpsons (1990s)
South Park

Gravity Falls could also be one of the best TV animated series of all time, but it is far too early to tell.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Apr 21, 2013 4:33 PM
Mar 2011
over all
stuff from France and UK from what iv sceen
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 21, 2013 5:35 PM

Mar 2013
Battlechili1 said:
Code Lyoko
Okay, real talk? I liked it as a kid but that show was kinda garbage.
Apr 21, 2013 5:38 PM

Jul 2012
Spongebob
T.U.F.F. Puppy
The Penguins of Madagascar
Simpsons
American Dad
Futurama
Jackie Chan Adventures
הלב שלי כבר מת
Apr 21, 2013 5:57 PM

Mar 2013
missyukari said:
It's just a hilarious show. Around season 3 it rivaled The Simpsons in quality.

It was definitely good stuff. The dry monotony of the Ben Stein character was great. The lead character himself was good in that he was actually probably one of the weakest in terms of direct comedic potential - you actually felt sympathy with whoever was dealing with his daft shit, because you knew he was a knob.
Apr 21, 2013 8:04 PM

Jul 2012
StrictlyStupid said:
Battlechili1 said:
Code Lyoko
Okay, real talk? I liked it as a kid but that show was kinda garbage.

I watched it recently and it still seems pretty good. The first two season do kinda have WAY too much filler, with the same basic "XANA causes some problem and the kids must deactivate a tower and turn back time before bad things really start to occur" thing way too much, but as time passed it developed a storyline and stopped doing that. There was also quite a bit of character development, with Sissy not being such a bad girl after all, one of the friends
, and the relationship between Aelita and Jeremy and Jeremy working so hard to bring Aelita into the real world, as well as learning Aelita's backstory.
Apr 21, 2013 8:11 PM

Jul 2011
I'm going with happy tree friends, see cute things dying in horrible ways is satisfying.

Then Family guy, Samurai Jack and South Park.
Apr 21, 2013 8:34 PM
Jun 2009
DateYutaka said:
over all

Any specific titles? I'm not very familiar with animation outside Japan and USA.
Apr 21, 2013 8:38 PM

Sep 2012
Spongebob back when it was still funny.
Family Guy back when it was still funny.
Futurama.
Apr 22, 2013 3:56 AM

Jul 2012
Red_Keys said:
Futurama.

I think Family Guy and Spongebob are both still funny.
Apr 22, 2013 10:07 AM

Mar 2010
I really like Loren Bouchard stuff:

Not so much Bob's Burgers, but Home Movies and Dr. Katz are great.

I'm also pretty found of Adventure Time
Apr 22, 2013 10:58 AM

Jun 2008
Spongebob and Adventure Time
Apr 22, 2013 1:49 PM
Mar 2011
missyukari said:
DateYutaka said:
over all

Any specific titles? I'm not very familiar with animation outside Japan and USA.

Best Uk tv animation i i have seen
Animals of farthing wood
Nogin the Nog
Dangermouse
Monkey Dust
The Three Friends and Jerry
SuperTed
best freanch iv seen
The Amazing Spiez!
Rayman: The Animated Series
Insektors
Dr. Globule
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 22, 2013 1:57 PM

Mar 2013
DateYutaka said:
Monkey Dust

Monkey Dust is absolutely fantastic. The Meat Safe Murderer and the depressed dad are probably two of the funniest sketches I've ever seen.
Apr 22, 2013 1:58 PM

Apr 2013
DateYutaka said:

Animals of farthing wood

Watership Down: The TV series

I forgot all about that cartoon, when I was little I used to watch it first thing in the morning getting ready for school.
Apr 22, 2013 7:32 PM

Feb 2013
Adventure time
Regular show
Family guy
American dad
Futurama
The Simpsons
South park
King of the hill
Edd ed and eddy
Spongebob

Thats it
Apr 22, 2013 7:36 PM

Dec 2009
Apr 22, 2013 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
Adventure Time
Teen Titans
Old Nickelodeon cartoons
Apr 22, 2013 10:05 PM

Dec 2011
Am I the only one who loves Regular Show?
Apr 22, 2013 10:22 PM

Sep 2011
Bravest Warriors - It's a web cartoon from the guy who made Adventure Time, which I also like.
Futurama
Venture Bros.
Archer
Gravity Falls
EeyoreApr 22, 2013 10:36 PM
Apr 22, 2013 10:39 PM

Apr 2010
DarChronicle said:
Am I the only one who loves Regular Show?

Apparently not. I'm pretty sure it has a pretty decent fanbase.
Apr 22, 2013 10:48 PM
Apr 2013
Simpsons (upto ~s15)
South Park
Also, I would like to try out Adventure time. (Is it worth it?)
about me
Apr 23, 2013 3:10 PM

Apr 2013
Avatar: The Last Airbender is my favorite cartoon ever. Legend of Korra,the follow up series to ALTA, isn't as good as the original, but I still think Korra is kick-ass. However, the music from both series is amazing.

Besides those cartoons, I'm also a huge Teen Titans fan too.
BlerdGirlApr 23, 2013 3:15 PM
Apr 24, 2013 12:19 PM
Jan 2013
The Avatar franchise is better than just about any anime out there and better than any American cartoon ive seen bar none.
Apr 24, 2013 12:27 PM

Feb 2012
Family Guy
South Park
Futurama
Simpsons
Teen Titans
Samurai Jack
And some other childhood ones that I can't think of right now.
Apr 25, 2013 6:21 PM

Apr 2011
Of course it'll be Rugrats!

But how about Avatar?
Apr 25, 2013 6:39 PM

Feb 2013
Swat Kats, son.

Edit: And Batman, the 1993 series and up. The hell is wrong with me, forgetting that?
NTADApr 25, 2013 6:42 PM
Apr 28, 2013 6:15 AM

Aug 2012
Nick : The old Spongebob

CN : Courage the cowardly dog

Disney : FUCK YOU DISNEY

sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 28, 2013 6:29 AM

Apr 2011
The Lion King
Thundercats
Swat Kats
Tom and Jerry
Spongebob Squarepants
Aladdin
Captain Planet
Rocket Power
The Fairly Odd Parents (is it "odd" or "god"?)
Phineas and Ferb
Apr 28, 2013 7:13 AM

Aug 2012
Battlechili1 said:
Red_Keys said:
Futurama.

I think Family Guy and Spongebob are both still funny.

I feel like spongebob is too narrow/1-dimensional these days. In the past they were full of variety of things happening in each scene.
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 28, 2013 7:14 AM

Sep 2011
Archer

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 28, 2013 7:18 AM

Apr 2013
South Park
Futurama
Boondocks
Apr 28, 2013 7:36 AM

Apr 2013
I'm going to be one of the only people in this thread to mention it, but My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
I'm probably also going to get quite a bit of flak.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is basically a high quality, magical girl shoujo anime. Just with "kemono" instead of people. People who like shoujo Magical Girl anime and manga and are open minded to animal characters should give My Little Pony a go. Fun fact, My Little Pony used to be animated by Toei and G1 isn't as bad as a lot of people say it is.

Adventure Time isn't bad, either. Though it obviously panders to the tastes of nostalgic boys. Regardless of any of that, it is pretty objectively one of the best pieces of animation out of the West in years.

The Amazing World of Gumball is also a pretty good non-Japanese animated series more on the recent side. You hear a lot people mention My Little Pony and Adventure Time in the animation fandom today. Not enough people mention Gumball. It is a pretty great show.
Apr 28, 2013 8:02 AM

Apr 2013
Archer
Adventure time
Ren & Stimpy
Spongebob
Family guy
Courgae the cowardly dog
American dad
South park
Samurai jack
foster home for imaginary friends
Apr 28, 2013 8:45 AM

Apr 2013
AnnieoftheStars said:
G1 isn't as bad as a lot of people say it is.

I've heard it said G1 was decent, but I've also heard a lot of praise for transformers G1. Never really understood transformers, I had a few ladybird books of it when I was little but the show never interested me. I glanced at some MLP G1 stuff and that's pretty much exactly what it reminded me of. If I'm in need of another horse cartoon I'll probably check out the fantastic adventures of Unico long before I give G1 a proper shot.
Apr 28, 2013 9:24 AM

Oct 2012
AnnieoftheStars said:
I'm going to be one of the only people in this thread to mention it, but My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
I'm probably also going to get quite a bit of flak.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is basically a high quality, magical girl shoujo anime. Just with "kemono" instead of people. People who like shoujo Magical Girl anime and manga and are open minded to animal characters should give My Little Pony a go. Fun fact, My Little Pony used to be animated by Toei and G1 isn't as bad as a lot of people say it is.

Adventure Time isn't bad, either. Though it obviously panders to the tastes of nostalgic boys. Regardless of any of that, it is pretty objectively one of the best pieces of animation out of the West in years.

The Amazing World of Gumball is also a pretty good non-Japanese animated series more on the recent side. You hear a lot people mention My Little Pony and Adventure Time in the animation fandom today. Not enough people mention Gumball. It is a pretty great show.

I completely agree with everything you said. I am SOOO gald that someone else notices just how good The Amazing World of Gumball is. It lives in the shadow of Adventure Time and Regular Show, which is understandable because those shows have a ginormous audience.

I will have to say that Adventure Time has a huge female fanbase even if it panders to boys. I don't know if this is because of the recent Fionna and Cake episodes or what, but they are definitely out there.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Apr 28, 2013 9:37 AM

Apr 2013
NickyCharisma said:
It lives in the shadow of Adventure Time and Regular Show, which is understandable because those shows have a ginormous audience.

Does Regular Show have that large of a following? I see it around but it's still not talked about that much.

NickyCharisma said:
I will have to say that Adventure Time has a huge female fanbase even if it panders to boys. I don't know if this is because of the recent Fionna and Cake episodes or what, but they are definitely out there.

Adventure Time has a lot of romance in it. It kind of plays out like a harem with Finn and the princesses much the time.
Apr 28, 2013 1:00 PM

Sep 2012
first thing that comes to my mind is The Secret of Kells
私の力はあなたの理解を超えています
Apr 28, 2013 9:14 PM

Oct 2012
Secondviennese said:
NickyCharisma said:
It lives in the shadow of Adventure Time and Regular Show, which is understandable because those shows have a ginormous audience.

Does Regular Show have that large of a following? I see it around but it's still not talked about that much.

NickyCharisma said:

Adventure Time has a lot of romance in it. It kind of plays out like a harem with Finn and the princesses much the time.

Maybe it's because Regular Show plays second banana to Adventure Time so it doesn't get talked about as much, but Cartoon Network still pushes the show like crazy glue and its still a ratings juggernaut. I can't say I agree with your "Adveture Time's a harem" comment though. Princess Bubblegum isn't interested in Jake at all. Neither is Marlene for that matter, just Flame Princess.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» About The Crow Remake (2024)

Vargnatt - Today

4 by Theo1899 »»
9 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7591 by SilentAssassin88 »»
1 hour ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3376 by SilentAssassin88 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » share your latest song/album purchases

DreamingBeats - Nov 3, 2023

38 by DreamingBeats »»
5 hours ago

» anyone enjoy reality tv?

removed-user - Sep 6, 2020

39 by Sorachin »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.