Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Is Aku No Hana watchable (art and/or story)?

Apr 21, 2013 4:49 AM

ZetaZaku said:

I'm not seeing how this is ugly.

Not a 10/10 babe, but if people consider this really ugly (okay, lack of nose is kinda ugly, but most modern shows lack that)... I wonder what's the borderline between beautiful and ugly for them. I feel like people treat women just like their anime. Either a 10/10 or 1/10 haha.

People have grown accustomed to ">" shape noses and large sparkling eyes. The problem with this art style is that it pushes the envelop on Anime vs. Reality. People are perplexed because they don't know whether to view it under an anime's lense or reality's.

The Nakamura's pic you posted is great. Those eyes have more soul in them than normal anime ones.

Apr 21, 2013 6:33 AM

Yes it is watchable I don't mind the art and character designs I actually think rapist-chan Nanako's character design to be pretty and cute and really realistic and her voice actor is great.

I find the movement outside of sloppy animation to be really realistic ( well it is rotoscoped) and I really think the voice acting is the best thing in the show by far it feels really realistic ( ex: The MC talk with his friends sounded really like what real highschool boys would sound like).
I am actually not gonna continue with this anime not because of the art ,etc but because I wasn't interested in the first place for an adaption of the manga regardless if it was done like this or normally.I am only interested in the manga.

Apr 21, 2013 7:43 AM

DeadEnd2013 said:
>No, continue to watch (I encourage you to share your reason) (your vote)

I dropped it after the first episode, and picked it up again today.

I'm only watching it because it's so bad that it turns into the funniest comedy. No other reason than that.

Everything is just wrong about this adaptation. Maybe I'll read the manga with actual pages of impact and with no bad pacing that feels like theyre adapting each page into 2 minutes in the anime, and with no terribly ugly Japanese women. If I wanted Japanese to sound and look realistic in my anime, I would have gone to a trip to Japan. But I don't want to at all, I just want to watch anime, that's all.

Well said, Hououinsan.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.

Apr 21, 2013 9:00 AM
Definitely liking it more with each episode.

Apr 21, 2013 9:01 AM

I made the mistake to read the manga to the latest chapter recently. After that I developed some kind of hate for the anime even though it isn't because of the art or anything. I'm totally for anime being different than their source materials. But somehow I can't enjoy the anime anymore...The MC is different in my head now after reading the manga etc...hard to explain.

Apr 21, 2013 9:05 AM

messedup said:
I made the mistake to read the manga to the latest chapter recently. After that I developed some kind of hate for the anime even though it isn't because of the art or anything. I'm totally for anime being different than their source materials. But somehow I can't enjoy the anime anymore...The MC is different in my head now after reading the manga etc...hard to explain.

Because of

Apr 21, 2013 9:09 AM

I haven't read the manga, but I liked the anime since the beginning! it is kind of slow paced and the art style is certainly different from the usual, but that's what makes aku no hana interesting and enjoyable. people who stop watching it because the character are ugly are missing out.
and i really like the soundtrack!! or the absent soundtrack, however you put it. the ending song scared me a bit in ep 1 but it's kind of catchy idk

Apr 21, 2013 9:14 AM

tsudecimo said:
messedup said:

Because of

Maybe that changed my percection somehow. Thinking back the mc of the manga never was that pathetic as the anime mc to begin with.

Apr 21, 2013 9:19 AM

messedup said:
tsudecimo said:
messedup said:

Because of

Maybe that changed my percection somehow. Thinking back the mc of the manga never was that pathetic as the anime mc to begin with.

Yes he was. It's just that the whines feel different in the animated form. Like, undressing scene feels longer in the show than in the manga.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

Apr 21, 2013 9:27 AM

ZetaZaku said:
messedup said:
tsudecimo said:
messedup said:

Because of

Yes he was. It's just that the whines feel different in the animated form. Like, undressing scene feels longer in the show than in the manga.

Yeah...you're probably right.

Apr 21, 2013 9:55 AM

messedup said:

He still has to reach that part in the show. No need to hate him for not being more developed at the beginning of the story.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

Apr 21, 2013 10:11 AM

In the manga, there is in fact no such "scene" in the library. You can
look at the pictures in the manga. You can read the text in the manga.

If you choose to imagine things that are neither in the manga pictures
nor in the text, that is up to you, of course.

A number of people have used words to describe that scene in the
library, based on the manga. Don't put too much stock in them. The
best thing is for you to take your own careful look at the manga.
Modified by okanagan, Apr 21, 2013 10:26 AM

Apr 21, 2013 10:26 AM

ZetaZaku said:
messedup said:

He still has to reach that part in the show. No need to hate him for not being more developed at the beginning of the story.

Never said I hated him specifically. It's really only because I kinda forgot the way he was in the beginning.

Apr 21, 2013 10:35 AM

3 episodes in, and people still apparently wont accept that some people dislike Aku no Hana because it's boring.

Apr 21, 2013 12:30 PM

Solvite said:
3 episodes in, and people still apparently wont accept that some people dislike Aku no Hana because it's boring.

Lol, same goes the other way, 3 episodse in, and people still apparently wont accept that some people LOVE Aku no Hana because its very attractive and interesting..

No what we don't understand is why people like you that dislike still insist in bitching in this anime forum section after 3 episodes, drop it an be done already, its only natural to do is if one dislikes something this much, otherwise then you are simply in a revenge quest, which is perfectly fine to me, but if you still insist on bitching about it, I-we- will continue to argue about your opinion , deal with it, because you seem to want to bitch and that everyone agree with you and don't anyone to argue back your statements, keep dreaming.
Modified by 9988, Apr 21, 2013 1:57 PM

Apr 21, 2013 1:49 PM

9988 said:
Solvite said:

Lol, same goes the other way, 3 episodse in, and people still apparently wont accept that some people LOVE Aku no Hana because its very attractive and interesting..

No what we don't understand is why people like you that dislike still insist in bitching in this anime forum section after 3 episodes, drop it an be done already, its only natural to do is if one dislikes something this much, othwrwise then you are simply in a revenge quest. WHich is pretty fan to me, It does not affect me but if you still insist in bitching about it, we will continue to argue about your opinion, deal with it, because you seem to want to bitch and that everyone agree with you or don't argue back your statements, keep dreaming.
You don't have to get so mad, it's obviously bait, you seem to be the one wanting people to agree with you.

Apr 21, 2013 2:04 PM

Monde11 said:
You don't have to get so mad, it's obviously bait, you seem to be the one wanting people to agree with you.

Mad, nah, I dont get mad about random arguments on the net, I pretty much enjy the arguing usually.

Lol, everything you said its evidently the other way round, who is mad at Aku no Hana? Who are the ones that seem that will continue to say how shitty this is until the last ep? Surely not me.

Apr 21, 2013 2:10 PM
Just perfect, i fell like im going to die waiting for the episode 04, Damn, i just need watch it.

Apr 21, 2013 2:10 PM
dankickyou said:
Its the greatest anime ever made. Its more than an anime, its a way of life.

Damn! thats what i'm talking about, some people aren't able to understand how FUCKING great is Aku no Hana.

Apr 21, 2013 2:36 PM

No, but I'll continue watching just for the fun of it. It's kinda like Shin Sekai Yori. A lot of people dropped it after the homo scene but in the end it turned out to be quite an amazing anime. I'll just hope that Aku no Hana is the same.

Apr 21, 2013 3:07 PM

I'm continuing until the very end. From the start, tolerating the art was never an issue for me. Don't get me wrong, at first I was shocked and surprised about the rotoscoping, but I am now accustomed to it and I personally find merit in the rotoscoping animation, even in the 'quality' (or perhaps lack thereof) of it. Though, that's not to say that there aren't any bad frames, and believe me, there are plenty; intentional by the staff or not, there are some ugly-looking scenes.

I'm a reader of the manga, and I enjoy Aku no Hana primarily for the story. As a small example, I particularly find interest in how the story explores themes of morality and puberty through the interactions of Saeki/Kasuga/Nakamura versus the perceptions of the public and greater society (which is especially interesting for me since I have just recently read Frank Wedekind's Frühlings Erwachen). Even when I find the art in a show as 'bad' (whether on quality or the artistic style itself) on a personal basis, I'll watch it if the story is good. For example, while I never got accustomed (and secretly disliked) the round faces and pointy noses of the characters in Fantastic Children, as a whole, it is a beautiful and captivating anime and is one of the best anime I have ever seen.

So one could say that animation is of secondary importance to me. In fact, I did not even like the art style in the early chapters of the Aku no Hana manga, and I have only grown to accept it since the manga-ka's own skills improved towards the middle and more recently released chapters. So as it stands, if I were to compare the first 3 episodes to its equivalent in the manga, I think the artistic vision of the anime is much more befitting as the embodiment of the story that is Aku no Hana than the manga, which is part of the reason why I am greatly enjoying the adaptation so far. The minimalistic music, the slow, drawn-out pacing of the story, and so on, contribute to this, in my mind.

That being said, whether I think the manga or anime is better overall, and in a bigger sense what I think about the ultimate success of the show overall, is something I can only decide after seeing the final episode. But so far, I am enjoying it.
Modified by Kjeldoran, Apr 21, 2013 3:12 PM

Apr 21, 2013 3:23 PM

I'm still sticking around with the anime because the story is interesting to me. While hating the character animation, I find myself reading the manga now to see what the characters are supposed to look like, geez not even close. Despite all that, I'll still watch it to the end.

Also check my website for weekly anime rankings of the newly released episodes: http://roanapurblog.com

Apr 21, 2013 3:35 PM

Please everybody take note that, in some countries, written depictions of persons or
characters (fictional or non-fictional) under the age of 18 engaging in sexual activity
are illegal. I don't know, but that MIGHT apply to posts here on MAL. So I suggest
that people here be careful. Best to check the applicable laws in the country where
you live.

I think that most of you will know that cartoons and movies can be a legal problem,
but the purely written aspect is sometimes unknown.
Modified by okanagan, Apr 21, 2013 3:43 PM

Apr 21, 2013 3:53 PM

Kjeldoran said:
I'm continuing until the very end. From the start, tolerating the art was never an issue for me. Don't get me wrong, at first I was shocked and surprised about the rotoscoping, but I am now accustomed to it and I personally find merit in the rotoscoping animation, even in the 'quality' (or perhaps lack thereof) of it. Though, that's not to say that there aren't any bad frames, and believe me, there are plenty; intentional by the staff or not, there are some ugly-looking scenes.

I'm a reader of the manga, and I enjoy Aku no Hana primarily for the story. As a small example, I particularly find interest in how the story explores themes of morality and puberty through the interactions of Saeki/Kasuga/Nakamura versus the perceptions of the public and greater society (which is especially interesting for me since I have just recently read Frank Wedekind's Frühlings Erwachen). Even when I find the art in a show as 'bad' (whether on quality or the artistic style itself) on a personal basis, I'll watch it if the story is good. For example, while I never got accustomed (and secretly disliked) the round faces and pointy noses of the characters in Fantastic Children, as a whole, it is a beautiful and captivating anime and is one of the best anime I have ever seen.

So one could say that animation is of secondary importance to me. In fact, I did not even like the art style in the early chapters of the Aku no Hana manga, and I have only grown to accept it since the manga-ka's own skills improved towards the middle and more recently released chapters. So as it stands, if I were to compare the first 3 episodes to its equivalent in the manga, I think the artistic vision of the anime is much more befitting as the embodiment of the story that is Aku no Hana than the manga, which is part of the reason why I am greatly enjoying the adaptation so far. The minimalistic music, the slow, drawn-out pacing of the story, and so on, contribute to this, in my mind.

That being said, whether I think the manga or anime is better overall, and in a bigger sense what I think about the ultimate success of the show overall, is something I can only decide after seeing the final episode. But so far, I am enjoying it.

Thank you for you fantastic post. Sometimes, I wish I would be able to say as eloquently. MAL would benefit from more substantive discussions like yours

Apr 21, 2013 11:47 PM
yes(with the story),but a little irritate with the art..
it's almost like watch real japanese movie than watching anime lol,but it's still good i think

Apr 22, 2013 12:01 AM

Definitely going to keep watching this one. Pacing, animation, voice overs are all well suited to the material. I can understand why this wouldn't be for everyone, but very surprised by the negative reaction (the low rating for the show on MAL brought me to this topic). I personally think this could be the best anime thus far of 2013.

Unconventional, but it WORKS very well. Characters are genuinely creepy and a normal animation style wouldn't really be able to convey this as well.

Apr 22, 2013 3:06 AM

ElfinMint said:
Only Anti-Moe fag Hypocrite Hipster watch this shit.
So many things wrong with this.

Apr 22, 2013 4:38 AM

So many threads, I don't know where to post. Haha. I had never heard of Aku no Hana before until my friend randomly mentioned it, telling me a bunch of people were pissed off at it for being different from the manga. "Hmm." I thought. "Different as in story changes?" Not really, just the art.

I watched the first episode expecting it to be a train wreck as people claimed it to be, but instead I got hooked because it's different. Unusual. I'm drawn to such things. I'm probably a biased person, but I was a film/animation student who has dabbled in rotoscope, and lemme tell ya, it takes a loooong time to trace each frame. I can't even begin imagine how much longer it would take to go into coloring and shading, but that is what rotoscope is. It's a style that merely captures the form, you don't have to draw every single detail. It may look lazily done, but a lot of effort is put into it. I have respect for the animators who've worked on this. They could have easily chosen not to do rotoscope and go with the typical anime route, which is mostly based on static images/templates. Often you see scenes with still frames where only the mouth or eyes move. Another thing I like is being able to tell characters apart from each other.

For curiosity's sake, I decided to read the manga up to the latest chapter. The story I can take or leave. Kasuga is a character I always want to scream at. While the pacing of the anime may be slower, I think it's a good setup, letting us pick up the atmosphere of dread surrounding Kasuga. Once later events occur, I'm sure it'll pick up really fast.

People complain that Nakamura looks ugly, but she honestly creeps me out more in the anime than the manga. She seems human and realistic to me. 3 episodes in and she's still a mystery. Very casual and friendly when talking to Kasuga. I'm found wanting to know what's going on in her mind, what is she thinking… those eyes, that glare… A psychopath in the making. In the manga she just came off as a blatant sadist.

Maybe the characters aren't supposed to look beautiful for a reason. I get annoyed with dramas because the guys look too pretty. It throws me off. It's similar with movies today that hire attractive actors, people just watch them for the actor and not the story. Can't you relate more to the characters? I'm sure we're not all supermodels.

I guess the only gripes I have are how slow the lips look. It doesn't really match the voices/breathing. Also scenes where still frames are used may be jarring to the eye, like the hand sniffing scene. You can get away with it in normal animation, but in rotoscope it's awkward. Not enough to turn me away though, I'll keep watching.

For those who stop, I hope they get a (2015) or (2016) or just (20xx) adaptation.
(◕ᴥ◕し)むにゅ〜

Apr 22, 2013 5:44 AM

Just looked what manga looks like. Jeez, people, wtf are you all worked up about? It's not that original style is something particularly remarkable. This adaptation looks a lot more interesting if you ask me. Not that manga is bad, but anime is so much more.
OrangeHollow.png

Apr 22, 2013 6:47 AM

It got better from ep 1 to the third one.
The whole psychological thing started now and I am liking it so far, Nakamura is crazy, but I guess this show might have some surprises ahead.

Apr 23, 2013 6:37 PM

I just finished episode 3, and I have to say that I absolutely love Aku no Hana. I first noticed the odd-for-an-anime art on tumblr, and immediately ran off to go watch it.

In my opinion, the art is amazing. It represents actual people and seems so realistic. It gives the creepy impression of the uniformed high school student and the odd-but-true feeling that although we are different, we all look the same.

As far as the plot goes, I can't get enough of it. In combination with the art style, it's a psychological thrill ride for me. The feelings evoked from this anime make me want to find a little book of evil of my own. I find myself connecting with so many of the characters in some way, which is unusual for me in any other anime.

To summarize, it reminds me of Serial Experiment Lain. I view that anime as a masterpiece, combining artistic realism with the psychological torture of any given day--or lack thereof.

I'm itching for the next episode of Aku no Hana to come out!

Apr 23, 2013 7:48 PM

>art

This is not art this show looks like budget JPEGs slideshow. SO BAD, some characters don't even have faces. If that didn't convince you...when you see characters talk in this Anime you hardly see their mouth moving, they gave this Manga to the wrong studio. The animation in this Anime is far worse than I've ever seen from A-1 Pictures. This is not art, but hugely budget.

I haven't seen Anime this bad for awhile, I'm pretty optimistic when it comes to new Anime, but this is just horrible. I've never seen an Anime to the point where it becomes just unwatcheable, but this Anime trumps all.

Apr 23, 2013 7:49 PM

I just noticed the eyes changed color.

Hot damn I thought I was trippin out haha

Apr 24, 2013 9:19 PM

Ukkoclap said:
The animation in this Anime is far worse than I've ever seen from A-1 Pictures.

Apr 25, 2013 4:01 PM

simplechild said:
Ukkoclap said:

...is that a "you don't say" face? lol

Apr 25, 2013 6:50 PM

Ukkoclap said:

>A-1 Pictures

Apr 25, 2013 9:51 PM

I read that not as Ukkoclap claiming that Aku no Hana is produced by A-1, but that A-1 is crap and even compared to it Aku no Hana is more crap.

(Note that these are not necessarily my feelings on the studios/anime in question, I'm just translating what I got out of the statement.)

Apr 26, 2013 11:39 PM
After Episode 3, there's no sign of Pigtails McSideburns. I miss her. ;_;

Apr 27, 2013 8:21 PM

Still okay. I might watch till the end.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Apr 28, 2013 4:36 AM
As someone who lives and teaches in Asia, I found the realism really refreshing, actually. Like...it's not beautiful art, but it strikes me as very true to atmosphere. I think that'll yield some interesting results as the series progresses.

Let's be honest, though. This is...arthouse anime. And it's not for everyone.

I could be biased by how much I loved A Scanner Darkly and Philip K. Dick in general. And I squealed with delight when I saw that he was reading _The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch_, which is a Dick novel. Makes me think this is actually a homage to PKD's work as well.
Modified by thomtinuviel, Apr 28, 2013 5:47 AM

Apr 28, 2013 5:47 AM
It is painfully disturbing. I dislike every single character in this anime, but I just want to see how it ends. To be honest if it wasn't for the art style adding to the sheer awkwardness of it, I wouldn't think twice about dropping it. However, if the story becomes boring rather than 100% creep fest I'll be sure to throw it in the trash.

Apr 28, 2013 7:55 AM

Honestly I don't really get why it is so polarizing... I like the cerebral atmosphere of this show and I like that the art is something different and interesting. I am interested to see where it goes and what gets brought out of the characters. :)

Apr 28, 2013 8:37 AM

Well, now that I've watched all the episodes that have aired so far, I can say I will continue watching, because I genuinely feel that Aku no Hana has what it takes to become a masterpiece. Only time will tell, of course...

To start off, I wasn't really bothered by the rotoscoping. It might take some time to get used to, but the animation isn't bad, not by a long shot. I can't say I don't why people are put off by the animation, how the characters move and such. It's how people actually move, but in animation, this ultra-realistic movement looks unnatural when compared to your average animation. It's a daring move from the production company, but I think their gamble has paid off. It gives the anime kind of a unique look. It's not a conventional story, after all.

People have also complained about Nakamura's looks, that she's not as attractive as she is in the manga. While I usually prefer that the style is retained as closely as possible, in this case I don't think it matters. What do Nakamura's looks actually contribute to the story? Nothing. So she's not a beauty, so what? I wouldn't call her ugly, either, because she isn't. I've heard that some people complained about Kubrick's decision to cast Shelley Duvall as Wendy in The Shining, because she was described as a real beauty in the novel. And yet, Duvall gave a great performance and I couldn't imagine anyone else as Wendy.

Let's get to the series in general, then. The first episode's slow pace didn't stop me from getting interested in the show. Don't know if I can say I enjoyed the episode, but I sure wanted to see where it'll lead. The atmosphere started to get a little unsettling already, but in episode two it got intense. We learn more of Nakamura, who's already piqued our interest with her behavior toward the teacher in ep 1. That is, that she might be a total psycho. The strangling hold she gets of Takao leaves us wanting to see what she'll come up with next and how Takao reacts and what he ends up doing. When Nakamura screams from the bottom of her lungs, it's actually scary. At episode four, her true motivations are still a mystery and that, if anything, keeps me hooked.

It's wrong to say that nothing happens in Aku no Hana. Plenty has already happened and more will happen, if you just have the patience and don't judge the show on how it looks. Unorthodox, thought-provoking works like this are just as valuable as the mainstream stuff needed for relaxing and enjoyment. Going on its leisurely pace with its darkly humorous tone, Aku no Hana leads us spiraling down and all I can do at this moment is go along.

Aug 5, 2013 10:59 AM

GoldenBoy55 said:
Well, now that I've watched all the episodes that have aired so far, I can say I will continue watching, because I genuinely feel that Aku no Hana has what it takes to become a masterpiece. Only time will tell, of course...
I like what you're thinking.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

Preview MangaManga Store