Forum Settings
Forums

Need a great Psychological that really makes me to think.

New
Apr 15, 2013 1:33 PM
Jul 2012
I want a show that has very good moments to cause my brain to think.(in a great way)Any genre is fine except fantasy and mecha.I also want it to be just like One outs. It has some great stuff to imagine what the characters are thinking about.Also I don't want it to be repetitive when the situations get repeated.
LegendGoldDarkApr 15, 2013 1:52 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 15, 2013 1:35 PM

Jun 2012
Serial Experiments Lain
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Apr 15, 2013 1:36 PM

Sep 2012
Kino no Tabi
Apr 15, 2013 1:43 PM

Oct 2012
Mind games? Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Apr 15, 2013 1:45 PM

Apr 2013
Holybaptiser said:
Serial Experiments Lain

I second this! Twisted, amazing, and at the end you'll think about it for weeks.
Apr 15, 2013 1:46 PM

Apr 2013
Death Note
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 15, 2013 1:53 PM
Jul 2012
mawaxid said:
Death Note

I saw it
Apr 15, 2013 1:53 PM
Jul 2012
Holybaptiser said:
Serial Experiments Lain

Don't know what this show is, but it is cool. In my ptw.
Apr 15, 2013 1:54 PM

Jun 2012
GoldenBRS said:
Holybaptiser said:
Serial Experiments Lain

Don't know what this show is, but it is cool. In my ptw.
Well, I kind of ignored the mind games part, because it's not a prevalent part of the show, but it really does have it. You'll have to watch it a couple of times to really notice and understand the psychological manipulation that is done on Lain the character.

Apr 15, 2013 1:54 PM
Apr 2013
Texhnolyze. It's quite difficult to comprehend though
Apr 15, 2013 1:58 PM

Jan 2013
Shinsekai yori
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Apr 15, 2013 2:00 PM

Oct 2012
Oh, and just keep watching Kaiji. If One Outs had identical twin, that would be it.
Apr 15, 2013 2:00 PM
Jul 2012
wukp said:
Shinsekai yori

in my ptw
Apr 15, 2013 2:01 PM
Jul 2012
Litrydow said:
Kino no Tabi

this show may be interesting. in my ptw.
Apr 15, 2013 2:09 PM

Oct 2012
Keep watching Mawaru Penguindrum, pick up Ergo Proxy from PTW, add Neon Genesis Evangelion(some things are repetitive, so never mind), do what Holy recommended, and
Rentas said:
Texhnolyze. It's quite difficult to comprehend though

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Apr 15, 2013 2:46 PM

Jul 2012
Holybaptiser said:
Serial Experiments Lain

No.
Don't do it.
This show is so awful.

I'm going to recomend Casshern Sins.
It's really good, isn't too weird, and makes sense. Yet it still may make you think. Also, it may not seem good at first, but stick with it to the end and you might like it.

EDIT: Nevermind. I noticed you dropped it.
But seriously, don't do Lain. The show is so awful....
How about Ghost Hound instead? It's coherent, thought provoking, and entertaining. It also has similarities to Serial Experiments Lain.
TrishaCatApr 15, 2013 2:50 PM
Apr 15, 2013 2:51 PM

Jun 2012
So we're shitting on recommendations now, huh? Okay, Mr Shit-For-Taste.

Apr 15, 2013 2:57 PM

Jan 2012
Serial Experiment Lain
Spiral
Hyouka
Apr 15, 2013 2:57 PM

Jul 2012
Holybaptiser said:

I'm sorry. I realize that these are reccomendations for GoldenBRS, not just to say my own individual taste. However please don't say I have bad taste. My favorite anime as you can see are highly regarded. As are yours. Please don't resort to insults just because I didn't like something you did.
GoldenBRS: Serial Experiments Lain is certainly thought provoking.

However, a warning: Serial Experiments Lain contains a lot of moments that one has to really think about in order to understand what's going on. It has a lot of seemingly incoherent events that take place as it progresses its story. While the storyline itself is coherent, its often difficult to understand what exactly is going on at times. Watch the first episode and you'll understand what I mean.
Apr 15, 2013 2:58 PM

Oct 2012
Battlechili1 said:

However, a warning: Serial Experiments Lain contains a lot of moments that one has to really think about in order to understand what's going on. It has a lot of seemingly incoherent events that take place as it progresses its story. While the storyline itself is coherent, its often difficult to understand what exactly is going on at times. Watch the first episode and you'll understand what I mean.

*looks at thread title*
*looks at bold*
*raises an eyebrow....*

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Apr 15, 2013 2:58 PM

Dec 2012
Finally someone asking for something different, rather than hentai, echi and SoL rom coms.

Battlechili1 said:
Holybaptiser said:
Serial Experiments Lain

No.
Don't do it.
This show is so awful.

It's really good, isn't too weird, and makes sense. Yet it still may make you think. Also, it may not seem good at first, but stick with it to the end and you might like it.

How about Ghost Hound instead? It's coherent, thought provoking, and entertaining. It also has similarities to Serial Experiments Lain.

Go back to Toonami bro.

I third Lain, that show I beyond brilliant, watch that shit as soon as possible.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Apr 15, 2013 3:00 PM

Jun 2012
Battlechili1 said:
Holybaptiser said:

I'm sorry. I realize that these are reccomendations for GoldenBRS, not just to say my own individual taste. However please don't say I have bad taste. My favorite anime as you can see are highly regarded. As are yours. Please don't resort to insults just because I didn't like something you did.
You know, I thought it was blatantly obvious that I was asking you a rhetorical question, but I should have known someone like you wouldn't be able to pick up on that.

Apr 15, 2013 3:04 PM

May 2008
Holybaptiser said:
Battlechili1 said:
Holybaptiser said:

You know, I thought it was blatantly obvious that I was asking you a rhetorical question, but I should have known someone like you wouldn't be able to pick up on that.

Come on guys, don't pick on him. That used to be me when I was 13 too =(
Apr 15, 2013 3:07 PM

Dec 2012
FauxAzn said:
Holybaptiser said:
Battlechili1 said:
Holybaptiser said:

We picked on you when you were 13 too didn't we?

Either way, watch Lain, I will also second Texhnolyze, cuz I got it on good authority that it's good at what it does.
Apr 15, 2013 3:18 PM
Jul 2012
Jovoo said:
FauxAzn said:
Holybaptiser said:
Battlechili1 said:
Holybaptiser said:

Either way, watch Lain, I will also second Texhnolyze, cuz I got it on good authority that it's good at what it does.

Lol picking on him. already haha. Heh that's funny.
Will watch Texhnolyze seems awesome. Still will watch Lain.
Apr 15, 2013 3:20 PM

Dec 2012
GoldenBRS said:
Jovoo said:
FauxAzn said:
Holybaptiser said:
Battlechili1 said:
Holybaptiser said:

Lol picking on him. already haha. Heh that's funny.
Will watch Texhnolyze seems awesome. Still will watch Lain.

Good boy *throws cookie*.
Apr 15, 2013 3:23 PM

Jan 2012
On second thought I kinda agree that lain was kinda boring...in fact I didn't even understood everything that happened until I did a little research and I was like...that's it?meh
also since it hasn't been mentioned I sugest Zetsuen no Tempest
Apr 15, 2013 3:25 PM

Oct 2012
shinsekai yori

Apr 15, 2013 3:26 PM

Dec 2012
BTBAM said:
shinsekai yori

Go home unit 1, you're drunk.
Apr 15, 2013 4:07 PM

Nov 2012
Lain & texhnolyze may be a bit too dry for you
I ended up dropping Texh

Try Shinsekai Yori, NGE and Ergo proxy first and if you can handle those then you can handle lain & tex

Since you want battle of wits
Then try LoGh
Something like one outs
Akagi
RX-782Apr 15, 2013 4:12 PM
Apr 15, 2013 4:17 PM
Mar 2013
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.
It's not overly complicated, but it does have some complex crossings of emotion between characters and it's good nevertheless. It's short too, only about 4 hours.
Apr 15, 2013 4:20 PM
Jul 2012
Alexx_ said:
Lain & texhnolyze may be a bit too dry for you
I ended up dropping Texh

Try Shinsekai Yori, NGE and Ergo proxy first and if you can handle those then you can handle lain & tex

Since you want battle of wits
Then try LoGh
Something like one outs
Akagi

Hmm well I will remove Lain on my ptw first to see if i may like either shinsekai yori and ergo proxy. meh logh not really interested not of the art, but it is not interesting. And Akagi I heard lot's a bad things about it, and it some game they playing that I will not understand about it.
Apr 15, 2013 4:24 PM

Nov 2011
Revolutionary Girl Utena

It's pretty much METAPHORS: THE ANIME SERIES.

Please note that yes, it has a fantasy tag but it is not fantasy in the traditional sense of the term. The entire thing takes place in a high school set in our world. The 'fantasy' tag comes from the fact that it deconstructs fairy tales and has some magic, but not the traditional kind of magic. Just you know, swords appearing out of peoples' bodies and castles floating upside down in the sky, but no one shoots fire from their eyes or anything like that.
AmberlehApr 15, 2013 4:28 PM
Apr 15, 2013 4:25 PM

Jul 2012
Tavor said:
Battlechili1 said:

*looks at thread title*
*looks at bold*
*raises an eyebrow....*

There are thought provoking anime that are still coherent throughout each episode and just leave things to think about afterwards. Lain requires more than that. I feel it requires and asks too much of others.
Holybaptiser said:
Battlechili1 said:
Holybaptiser said:

I did understand it was a rhetorical question. I said what I said to apologize for complaining about Lain. It wasn't my right to complain.
FauxAzn said:

I'm older than 13. :/
Amberleh said:
Revolutionary Girl Utena

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.
Now this is a good psychological and thought provoking anime. I love it. I recently started watching it and it has become one of my favorites very quickly. It reminds me a lot of Evangelion. Though I do warn you: It has a very poor English dub, in case for some reason you would choose to watch that one. And admittedly there is some reused animation for the series that may make it feel a bit repetitive in some ways. However, if you can look past it, you might have just found you a pretty sweet anime.
TrishaCatApr 15, 2013 4:58 PM
Apr 15, 2013 5:01 PM
Jun 2011
If I may add a suggestion, while it is not exactly on point with most of the other recommendations I believe you may like Aoi Bungaku as it deals with many different emotional whirlwinds and psychological struggles. It is comprised of many different short stories and the show itself is actually quite short as well but nonetheless it is still one of the most thought provoking animes I have watched to this day ^^. The psychological factors are very well displayed and the characters can be easily associated with oneself.

Warning: it is quite depressing BUT I will add that in the facade of depression presented to the viewer there is hope.

Also I have to thank the others in this thread. I was on a dry spell of sorts of solid anime choices and I now have quite the list of upcoming shows to watch!
Apr 15, 2013 5:04 PM
Jul 2012
Insideinfo11 said:
If I may add a suggestion, while it is not exactly on point with most of the other recommendations I believe you may like Aoi Bungaku as it deals with many different emotional whirlwinds and psychological struggles. It is comprised of many different short stories and the show itself is actually quite short as well but nonetheless it is still one of the most thought provoking animes I have watched to this day ^^. The psychological factors are very well displayed and the characters can be easily associated with oneself.

Warning: it is quite depressing BUT I will add that in the facade of depression presented to the viewer there is hope.

Also I have to thank the others in this thread. I was on a dry spell of sorts of solid anime choices and I now have quite the list of upcoming shows to watch!

in my ptw already. But thanks for provide the expectation for that show.
Apr 15, 2013 5:06 PM

Dec 2012
Chaos;Head
Apr 15, 2013 5:18 PM

Nov 2011
Shebadi said:
Chaos;Head

True, it makes you think.

It makes you think "Why the hell am I watching this?"
Apr 15, 2013 5:27 PM
Jul 2012
Amberleh said:
Shebadi said:
Chaos;Head

ain't watching dat.
Apr 15, 2013 5:30 PM

Nov 2012
One word: Paprika.
Apr 15, 2013 5:44 PM

Dec 2012
GoldenBRS said:
Amberleh said:
Shebadi said:
Chaos;Head

ain't watching dat.

Fair enough. Lain is also pretty good.
Apr 15, 2013 5:49 PM

Apr 2013
Amberleh said:
Shebadi said:
Chaos;Head

Aha, couldn't agree more.
Well if you don't mind a show not revolving totally around psychological, FML Brotherhood has a large psychological aspect to it.
And although not for everyone, Gantz does make you think.
Apr 15, 2013 6:29 PM

Oct 2012
Zetsuen no tempest made me think.. A lot I don't think psychological is really the word, although mirai nikki is up there for those 2 categories, also I wouldn't say zetsuen is like Mirai Nikki, it just made me think a lot.
Apr 15, 2013 7:49 PM

Feb 2010
Something like One Outs? Read Liar Game.

Also keep watching Kaiji.
Apr 15, 2013 8:32 PM
Feb 2013
Second Liar Game if you don't mind manga. Its worth it. There is a live action drama as well if you would rather not read it.
The first arc isn't that thought provoking but its just a prelude. Decide after the 2nd arc.

Monster on your ptw
BlytheApr 15, 2013 8:35 PM
Apr 15, 2013 10:54 PM

Oct 2012
Adding Madoka Magica, Mirai Nikki, Welcome to the NHK!, Perfect Blue. All of those are great.

+1 to Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ergo Proxy

You might as well plan on watching Monster and Serial Experiments Lain since most people seem to be obsessed with them here on MAL. Not a fan personally, but you'll probably like them.

Also might want to check out Satoshi's stuff - Paprika, Paranoia Agent
FLCL is another big one
Not a fan of these either, but they're well known, so yeah.

Sorry if these shows I mentioned aren't exactly like One Outs; I haven't seen it. Hope it helped though.
Amberleh said:
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Please note that yes, it has a fantasy tag but it is not fantasy in the traditional sense of the term. The entire thing takes place in a high school set in our world. The 'fantasy' tag comes from the fact that it deconstructs fairy tales and has some magic, but not the traditional kind of magic. Just you know, swords appearing out of peoples' bodies and castles floating upside down in the sky, but no one shoots fire from their eyes or anything like that.

I would say Utena wasn't a bad choice if it wasn't the definition of repetition. Not trying to kick you in the balls, just saying.

Battlechili1 said:
Holybaptiser said:
Serial Experiments Lain

No.
Don't do it.
This show is so awful.

Bro, your avatar is TTGL lmao. Nuff said.
Jovoo said:
BTBAM said:
shinsekai yori

how rude
BTBAMApr 15, 2013 11:03 PM

Apr 15, 2013 11:31 PM

Oct 2012
BTBAM said:
Adding Madoka Magica, Mirai Nikki, Welcome to the NHK!, Perfect Blue. All of those are great.

+1 to Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ergo Proxy

You might as well plan on watching Monster and Serial Experiments Lain since most people seem to be obsessed with them here on MAL. Not a fan personally, but you'll probably like them.

Also might want to check out Satoshi's stuff - Paprika, Paranoia Agent
FLCL is another big one
Not a fan of these either, but they're well known, so yeah.

Sorry if these shows I mentioned aren't exactly like One Outs; I haven't seen it. Hope it helped though.
Amberleh said:
Revolutionary Girl Utena

I would say Utena wasn't a bad choice if it wasn't the definition of repetition. Not trying to kick you in the balls, just saying.

Battlechili1 said:
Holybaptiser said:
Serial Experiments Lain

No.
Don't do it.
This show is so awful.

Bro, your avatar is TTGL lmao. Nuff said.
Jovoo said:
BTBAM said:
shinsekai yori

how rude

Nice, have fun :D you will like them.
Apr 16, 2013 5:18 AM

Dec 2011
Erm that dude needs to choose another anime to shit on aside from Serial Experiments Lain. Not only is it great but it's unique and those type of anime have their merits even if one person happens to not like 'em.

Anyways I'll go with Texhnolyze. That anime made me think about how disgusting and wretched humanities future could be. As crazy as it might seem there is really only one or two things in the anime that are far-fetched and probably not possible... Which means everything else sort of is possible.. Which means... well fuck. :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2013 7:39 AM

Jan 2012
Vanisher said:
Something like One Outs? Read Liar Game.

Also keep watching Kaiji.

How could I forget about Kaiji.That show is probably one of the best psychological shows I've seen
Apr 17, 2013 12:26 AM

Aug 2011
If you're fine with manga, you cannot go wrong with Liar Game. Same author as One Outs.

If you're fine with Light Novels, Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria. This novel is extremely good and can be found on baka tsuki.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

2 by ST63LTH »»
36 minutes ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - 10 hours ago

3 by Toha »»
2 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

67 by Natedog22 »»
4 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

10 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
6 hours ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - Apr 19

21 by radrocket »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.