Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 14, 2013 6:29 PM
Sep 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Very good movie. I liked the fact that AIC added some original scenes. That shrine totally surprised me. I did not, for the life of me, imagined it to be like that. Story should not be a problem for movie-only watchers. LN readers will be satisfied with the ending scene that is for some reason reminds me of some pixiv entry about the novel a while ago. Chuunibyou? NO NO NO. This is reality!

9/10

If you watched NHK, boy this movie is for you *grins*
Sep 13, 2013 5:12 PM

Nov 2007
Wow, this is more serious than Chuunibyou. It involves with bullying those who are "different". lol @ that teacher at the end.

It lists as ED: "Bokura no Sekai (僕らのセカイ)" by CooRie and Image Song: "Blue Moon Dream" by Arisa Noto. Should it be changed?
tsubasaloverSep 26, 2013 8:09 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 26, 2013 9:33 PM

Jan 2011
I was expecting it just to be happy chuuni antics but it actually turned out to be serious, I even got angry a few times. It took me until it was happening to realize she was talking about suicide (or something like). I'm glad MC finally manned up in the end and saved her with his own Chuuni style.

http://i.imgur.com/bvE8BWo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2M1s9g8.png
http://i.imgur.com/s6hRnMk.jpg
KanaHana + Dat body = all of my yes
VioLinkSep 27, 2013 12:37 AM
[center]
Sep 27, 2013 7:17 AM

Feb 2012
Way better than i expected. 9/10.
Sep 27, 2013 11:53 AM

Sep 2009
I like this movie. 83 minutes is not enough for such a story but still it was good. To bad the budget was quite low as for the movie. But I just hope some other Romeo Tanaka's works would be animated sometime.
Nachtwandler_21Sep 28, 2013 4:26 AM
Sep 27, 2013 12:31 PM

Jun 2011
The whole movie felt quite rushed, I mean the timing between some scenes was simply awkward and I believe most of this was due to the lack of a first person narrator from Ichirou's viewpoint. It's clear how often it was needed for a better understanding of the character or the situation itself.

Anyway, putting aside some corny lines the movie was wonderful. The good ol' social criticism always strikes with me.
Sep 27, 2013 3:29 PM

Apr 2011
Pretty good, as expected of Romeo. It definitely felt like a "collection of scenes" with the pacing, time restraint, and whatnot. Would have been nice to see what important subplots the story had, but that's what the LN is for.

Oh yeah, it definitely got me to buy the LN. Before I even watched it...
"I may be liberal arts to the core, but I am capable of thinking logically."
Sep 28, 2013 12:57 AM
Apr 2013
Very good movie , the story was touching but its too bad that they couldn't make it into an anime adaptation , cause it felt a bit rushed.

Compared to Chuunibyou , this looked more serious , closer to reality so imo this is better.

Its unfair that its score is only 6.99 because with a lil' budget the art and music was pretty good.I personally gave it a 9 / 10.
Sep 28, 2013 6:04 AM

Jun 2012
How does she make that maze of desks
you can't get like 100k desks and just stack them in less than a day
Was that just the author trying to tell us that there is magic or something in this world

way better than I expected; if i would rate it like 7.5/10

that teacher is so inept tho
"child going to commit suicide brb let me ask a student to resolve it"

Nothing particularly off putting or like particularly good tho I think that the mc is a badass
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Sep 28, 2013 10:01 AM

Aug 2008
Regicide said:
Was that just the author trying to tell us that there is magic or something in this world
Same thought! I liked how the anime is down to earth until that desks scene...
Sep 28, 2013 12:18 PM

Jan 2009
Wow that was awesome movie, loved it more than Chuuni.
I may even pick up Jinrui back since I dropped it back there.
Sep 28, 2013 10:09 PM

Nov 2012
wow, really good anime, surpass my expectation. I think it's much better than Chuu2koi,
Sep 29, 2013 2:00 PM

Mar 2012
Regicide said:

Hahah, yeah. It would be at least 2 weeks or so to stack all that, holy crap. Would they even hold up in the first place?

Aside that though, it was a pretty good movie. I was expecting to watch this through a chore and a snore for some reason, since the director's known for that in serious shows. Surprisingly I ended up watching it without a break (... which is extremely rare considering how procrastinatey I am). Romeo is a good writer.

The realism and social commentary of Chuunis (whatever you call them) made me think for quite a bit during the course of the show, though with the bullying and social reject aspects it made me a little frustrated at heart. They're not bad aspects, in fact without them this movie wouldn't be what it is. It's much better than Chuu2koi, addressing the issues of abandoning the past and running away from current society that doesn't accept you in a more mature way. Satou (girl) was a mysterious character, and her actions were more understandable as the movie went on.

It wasn't anything 'so' special though. The animation very subpar considering it's a movie, and scenes plus directing can be a little non-diverse and conventional, making the flow a little rough and the transitions, often, abrupt. Could be more memorable, but I'm glad this topic has been tackled, and in a plausible manner too.
Sep 29, 2013 10:31 PM

Aug 2009
The desk temple was pretty frikin ridiculous, but overall this was still a decent movie. Much more tolerable than chuu2. Nice to see this concept done some justice. 6/10
LoneWolfSep 30, 2013 12:28 PM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 30, 2013 9:02 AM

Apr 2012
I really enjoyed this movie. The seriousness of the subject really surprised me. Yes, there were some timing and pacing issues. I really would have liked to see this get a single cour. Overall, a really solid movie. 8/10.
Sep 30, 2013 5:29 PM
Jul 2011
Anyone competent enough to comment on the quality of the subs?

One of the torrent comments said the translator was making stuff up.
Sep 30, 2013 7:09 PM

May 2011
@Cadavera

My nihon is extremely limited but I could tell the subtitles weren't incredibly accurate. Nothing too major though but not a solid translation
Sep 30, 2013 11:27 PM
Jan 2009
@cadavera yeah... some of the expletives were taken liberty with... not good enough to know if the meat of the story was played with or not, but I think it was fairly accurate. you can get the gist of the story from the visual and it seemed to match.

great movie. really sweet.

15 years of watching anime and the first real time I wanted to scream "kawaii" at Ryouko...
Oct 3, 2013 5:45 PM

Mar 2010
This movie really surprised me, being honest I really thought this was going to be another chuunibyou but I was gladly surprised.
It's a really enjoyable movie.

Kurini said:
Regicide said:
Same thought! I liked how the anime is down to earth until that desks scene...

Same here, for a moment when I saw that desk temple I thought to myself, WTF? was there really a fantasy world?

Anyway, really nice movie, totally recommendable to watch.
Currently watching everything that comes out to avoid missing something good...

Oct 4, 2013 2:14 AM

Jan 2013
8/10
Great movie, liked the darker take on the Chuunibyou story.
That last kiss scene was fantastic.
Oct 4, 2013 10:51 AM

May 2010
I like Chuunibyouu better but this one is not bad

But I still don't anything about Ryouko like for example why does she do all this thing ? Family issue ?

Oct 4, 2013 1:24 PM

Jul 2012
Cheap rip off of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! This castle made from chairs and tables, and "please teach me how to be normal" at the end? Lame... only bullying parts were interesting.
Oct 4, 2013 2:38 PM

Apr 2011
Misiakk said:
Cheap rip off of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

I was wondering when this would come up in this thread, if ever. Took quite a while.
Oct 5, 2013 4:30 AM

Jul 2012
I don't really care about it being a rip off, i got problems with Aura looking cheap, both in animation and story.
Oct 5, 2013 9:47 AM

Jun 2011
But it's not a rip off. The original novel came 3 years before the Chuunibyou one.
Oct 9, 2013 2:03 PM

Apr 2012
Funny how the comments started off as loving it then when someone dislikes it others jump on the bandwagon! I personally thought it was very well done. And like the comment above Aura came out before Chuunibyou. Have to say though Dark Flame Master would have Light Fang for breakfast! ^_^

8/10
Oct 11, 2013 3:54 AM

Sep 2011
Well, I couldn't help but making point by point comparison to Chuuni whenever I watched this. There were many similarities plot-wise but the execution was different.

This is definitely a much more serious take and I felt it was closer to reality and somehow better than Chuuni in that sense. That mystery factor kept me all the way through.

Loved the words used to express the social message and how to adapt to reality.

If anything, I wanted to know more about the characters, and the sudden "coming out of the closet" of the other Chuuni's made the pacing go off and of course the almighty desk scene stack up at the finale.

I was worried that she might have not actually "tried" to change, but the post-credit scene put my worries to rest.

8/10 for me.
DKNer0Oct 11, 2013 4:08 AM
Oct 15, 2013 10:25 AM

Aug 2010
Tch, Rikka will be always the best !

Actually, the movie is not bad, but this is the same scenario and the same setting as Chuunibyou. I waited a big thing on the whole show but it never happened.

I think the movie can be better, now it is like a copy and paste of Chuu2 with other characters.
Oct 20, 2013 2:46 AM

Mar 2013
lol tbh i enjoyed watching this and it gave off a nice fluffy feeling in the end

but holy shit just HOW THE FUCK DID SHE MANAGE TO BUILD THAT HUGE TEMPLE USING THOSE DESKS????????
Oct 20, 2013 8:04 PM

Jan 2011
I love how the original (setting aside that you will *always* find something that came before, except maybe if you look at some cave paintings..and then there is still oral tradition..someone must have had a story to tell before painting that after all) is a copy. In this case a copy of something that doesn't even exist yet even? Just like WoW invented MMOs, right?

Anyways, i loved it. There are some things that could have been done better maybe, like, that "temple". It did look awesome though.

I also wonder why the teachers did nothing. The one teacher ordered Satou to become her friend, he blackmailed him into doing so actually, but besides that..nothing. Okay, the one who hit Satou was suspended, but only because he was caught in the act. I'm sure they would have suspended both Satou if they would have seen them hitting that guy.

And none of the students did. Kobato tried at first, but after being rebuked by that girl bully, she never tried anything again. Not even telling the teachers - or the teachers ignored it, like they ignored the signs. And the dream soldiers where always like "you are our leader", but didn't even go and get that paint thiner (which is actually one thing Kobato did, but she still never tried to actually stop the bullying again).

I also am still waiting for the day where someone deals with that blackmail the bullies did the offensive way. Kobato did understand and actually cheer on him, and she hung around him and Satou (the girl) all the time, why would she suddenly break off all contact simply because Satou (boy) had a difficult past (of course he couldn't be sure, but still..). Go talk to her, explain what happend, explain what the bullies are trying to do and let the bullies blunder on when they go to Kobato to tell her about Satou.

Of course, it isn't easy to deal with this this way, but it never is, and defintively would make an interesting story, instead of the usual dragging it out until it can no longer be hid.

Also, his sister is badass. Going all out right away "Give me their names and adresses", aswell as defending him against their parents, even calling them out on it - "you're his damn parents".
NwAurionOct 20, 2013 8:19 PM
Oct 26, 2013 3:30 AM

Apr 2009
5/10

I found the movie to be very average and a lot of the chuuni stuff franework didn't really click with me. The entire conflict should not play out like this as 50% of the class were chuuni as well...

Anyway, I was expecting more from the author of Jinrui. But then again, this was written before Jinrui afaik.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 27, 2013 5:21 PM

Apr 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
But then again, this was written before Jinrui afaik.

Irrelevant as his magnum opi were released in 2003 and 2005.
Nov 5, 2013 8:34 PM

Aug 2012
Amazing movie .. I liked this better than chuunibyou cuz of the darker approach.
Nov 7, 2013 5:45 PM

May 2012
Cute ending and quite lovely movie! Really liked the concept of this actually and loved the resolve in the end! They should make more animes with this theme as it sure is once hell of a nice concept they can play with!

Either way this sure was a hell of a great movie!
Nov 10, 2013 6:26 PM

Jun 2012
That was pretty dark. Loved it though, that ending was perfect. Im surprised that girl who did all bullying seemed to receive no repercussions.

9/10
Dec 14, 2013 3:35 AM

Jan 2013
ShinAtsuki said:
like a copy and paste of Chuu2 with other characters.

not really

p.s. don't mind me just being late
Please check my music out on SoundCloud! There's something for everyone.

Dec 15, 2013 10:00 AM

Nov 2011
i liked the movie its great actually i didn't expect that it will be like that .
To desire some results, one must take actions
Dec 17, 2013 12:49 PM

May 2009
Good movie, but does anyone understood the word "verisimilian"? Can you explain to me please?
Dec 27, 2013 10:36 PM

Apr 2013
This movie is great, holy cow
Jan 3, 2014 6:03 PM
Jul 2013
Demo Koi ga Shitai Chuunibyou! But this was more real and with an exciting finish.
Jan 6, 2014 11:24 AM

Mar 2012
I was half-asleep during the movie, the story was boring, the soundtrack didn't fit at all, the character were crap, and the ending : wtf with those chair ?
The main female pissed me off, I wanted to hit her on the face. I liked the mc and his sister tough, they were cool.

Expected more, since my friend told me that the ending was great.

4/10
Jan 13, 2014 10:35 AM

Aug 2013
First thought it reminds me of Chuunibyou (that ending with the chairs hit the jackpot).. but actually it's very different in many aspects.
Those who call it a rip off or the like.. mind you the adaption was later but the novel for Aura is 3 years before.

That said.. I enjoyed Chuunibyou for the comedy and cute characters.
But in Aura the plot is what I'd call a worthwhile piece of work.. how they showcase the story is really captivating.
Their seiyu especially caught my interest the way they express the characters.. Kobato just kept me thinking so cuteee.
If I had to choose.. this is actually better in my opinion.
8/10
Jan 22, 2014 7:49 AM

Oct 2009
Holy shit that was fucking awful -- and I don't usually say shit like that about anything.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2014 10:09 PM

Nov 2013
So I finally got around to watch this movie, and I'm glad I did. Definitely like it better than Chuunibyou demo just because of the seriousness.

But god, what was with the execution and plot holes...
Feb 8, 2014 5:47 PM

May 2013
Just finished it and yeah, it did look a lot like Chuunibyou. It was decent enough and involved a little bit of Slice of Life.

Needs a little more improvement with the story progressing though.
Feb 12, 2014 7:21 AM

Jan 2013
It was a fine movie in it's own without needing to be compared to Chuunibyou. Also, don't forget to watch during and after the credits, it's worth sticking around for.
Blaster-- said:
Good movie, but does anyone understood the word "verisimilian"? Can you explain to me please?
Blaster-- said:

vērisimilis m, f (neuter vērisimile); third declension Adjective org. latin
meaning: apparently true
So as I see it a verisimilian would be someone who can look beyond the evident to see the truth of the matter, the reality behind the reality. Too bad in this instance their reality is illusion, but it's still fun to watch. :p
Mar 3, 2014 12:39 AM

Jan 2012
lame, predictable, annoying

and wtf at the random ass table castle

5/10
Mar 16, 2014 7:39 PM

Mar 2013
Great movie , it's better than i expected.
Mar 24, 2014 2:01 AM

Dec 2012
didn't expect this movie to be this good, it has quite a simple plot, but then they somehow managed to make it really interesting...this is like Chuunibyou but more on the serious and darker side...

and is bullying really that bad in Japan?

don't worry, i know IMG tags are turned off...i'm just lazy to change my sig... xD
Mar 27, 2014 12:40 AM

Sep 2012
The drama in this movie was so... misguided.

It was set up perfectly to have potential to be really serious, with implications of suicide and domestic child abuse. But instead they completely breezed past that (seriously, was I the only one who was WTFing at the fact that his parents beat him, and then it was just never mentioned again or resolved except for the very end when you hear his sister screaming at her parents?) and made it incredibly melodramatic, focusing on unrealistic bullying that made little sense.

Like, what the fuck was the deal with the bullies? Why were they so irrationally angry? And then the issues with the bullies wasn't even resolved! It was just kind of swept under the rug at the end and ignored.

His abusive family is still fucked up at the end, so that was really unpleasant. I really liked his older sister though, all 30 seconds of screen time she had.

It just really rubbed me off the wrong way how this guy was abused by his parents for acting a certain way, and then when he represses that behavior, the film paints it as a fault of his and some sort of flaw that he has (oh look at him be a jerk!), because it made whatsherface sad. Like.. just what the hell...

And then that desk castle. Uh... was that real? Was that.. his imagination? I don't even...

However I liked the very last scene. "Teach me how to be normal". That line alone is what's keeping this a 5/10 for me instead of a 4/10. That's where Chuunibyou went wrong, because those characters didn't develop, they regressed.

The soundtrack on its own was nice, but actually being played with the scenes.. it just made it that much more melodramatic. I didn't like it.

All in all, I have to say I'm disappointed. I found it unintentionally funny at its climax, which is especially bad because it was a scene revolving around a suicide attempt. But it was just that.. wtf inducing. I found myself giggling and face palming at the same time.

The movie wasn't completely devoid of entertainment though. Like I said, 5/10.
Red_KeysMar 27, 2014 12:43 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Ending was a bit disappointment?

Anurag469 - Jul 18, 2021

7 by frodberserk »»
Sep 18, 2023 5:26 PM

» Did I waste my time?

0oWaiFuuuo0 - Mar 25, 2022

4 by Rixardinho77 »»
Mar 14, 2023 7:28 PM

» Will this movie have an Ova?It would be great to discover what the main couple will do after they accept who they are

Loren34 - Aug 9, 2022

2 by DzaurenJ »»
Aug 10, 2022 12:24 AM

» Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita and Aura: Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai (Movie)

Falcomster - Mar 12, 2013

1 by removed-user »»
Jan 2, 2020 5:39 AM

» Film Description unreviled

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2012

4 by nDroae »»
Oct 3, 2017 7:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.