Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2013 2:27 PM
Apr 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The anime is definitely becoming addictive, and the op has grown on me, too.

The third case was very good at creating a spooky atmosphere, although it was also maybe a bit too complicated and not as deeply motivated as the previous one. In particular the whole wax doll placement thing was very complex :-P.

So far excellent originality and looking forward to future cases.
Sep 16, 2014 6:02 AM

Sep 2013
This arc really highlighted the author's bad writing.

I didnt get really get the role of the blonde german police, though it was implied that she once lived in the castle and she was the girl in painting. Also how did the novel writer survived the attempted murder? it was conviniently explained as "I woke up in the hospital."
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Sep 17, 2014 12:14 PM

Jul 2012
Ahhh it was so obvious that the murderer was her ever since episode 7, where the anime focused on her shiny ring. That was the thing that made it obvious.

I did like the whole "trapped in a mansion" setting, which is my third favourite detective case setting right after cruise ship and airplane! :D It reminded me of the movie "Clue" which I also liked.
Apr 3, 2020 8:32 AM

Mar 2012
This is the first culprit which I felt kinda bad for. She was left for dead after being betrayed by her former comrades and had her lover murdered by them.
Feb 14, 2021 4:58 PM

Oct 2015
I had zero recollection of that case: I did not remember the trick, nor the identity of the culprit. Yet, watching through what felt like a very rushed conclusion, some things seemed to be missing. So I checked the original story, quickly read through it, and was glad to learn that I was definitely not too harsh on the anime adaptation: once again, the staff at Toei did not do justice to this quite good 'And There Were None' nod that was this case.

I know that I might appear a little too picky with the anime adaptation. Of course, to some, it would be trivial to expect a one-to-one recreation of this story. One may argue how unnecessary the whole thing would be. And I'm inclined to agree, or at least I would if this anime adaptation was not already a one-to-one recreation of the staging of the murders in the first place - even the staging of the whole case. A very rushed one mind you, but a one-to-one recreation all the same.

Consequently, I fail to see why some conversations between the suspects had to be left out. It is not like they were mindless conversations either, most of the things that were skipped were essential to this detective narrative. The conclusion is the same as in the manga, but the difference is that it does not feel as satisfying as in the manga: see the criticism mentioned above? The one that the writers did not provide an explanation on how the culprit survived the attempted-murder plot? That is totally explained in the original story, and it is not like it would have been too hard to fit that solution into the episode: in fact one line of dialogue would have been enough really.

A four-episode format would have been a very decent solution to that issue, and I am not sure why the anime staff did not think it would work at the time. Their biggest competitor was 'Detective Conan' - and this show was / is mostly about shorter cases. So, maybe they thought that the audience would lose interest over the mysteries if they were to run for four whole weeks? Sure, I can get behind this idea, but in that case wouldn't it have been better to - I don't know - rewrite the whole case in order for it into the three-episode format instead of only selecting a few passages from the original narrative, and calling it a day? Their solution to the problem really left much to be desired. Needless to say that this rewatching has been very disappointing so far.

Anyway, what about the case in and of itself? quite good albeit a bit flawed in the manga, barely decent in the anime I suppose. I have my fair share of issues with it:
-The 'Redrum' nickname was a bit too on the nose, thus jarring for my liking. I get it, making callbacks to 'The Shining' was certainly hip back in the days, but that nod did not add much to the narrative. There were already dozen 'not-so-subtle-references' to detective and horror figures, we did not need another one that was so obvious it hurt.

-I'm okay with the Akechi and Columbo ones, since 'legacy' is a recurring theme in 'Young Kindaichi's Case Files'. The confrontational aspect of the case was also interesting on paper, but boy did they do nothing with it. They barely scratched the surface of what a true clash between detectives could have been. I can at least commend them for writing in some disagreements between the characters on how to solve these murders (something that is clearly missing in many Detective Conan stories), but that was really the bare minimum they could do.

-The ring twist was a bit too obvious in the anime, and a bit too hidden in the manga. In both cases, the writers did not find the right balance on how to present a clue to the readers / viewers. I was not particularly content with it being one of the decisive evidence to corner the culprit.

-The killer's motive came too much from nowhere. Adding more and better context within the question part of the narrative would have been greatly appreciated. Alas, that is one thing that 'Young Kindaichi's Case Files' falls short most of the time.
BertKnotFeb 16, 2021 2:18 PM
Apr 1, 2021 12:22 PM
Jul 2018
The whole concept of this arc was pretty amusing but it fells a little bit dull in execution of the tricks set up by the murder. Also, the ring was shining too much since the first episode of the case.
Jan 17, 4:17 AM

Jun 2020
Hmm I didn’t like this case it just feels lğke a lot of things missing and everything happened way to fast in the end without explanation of some parts

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Episode 62 Discussion

ToG25thBaam - Sep 10, 2018

1 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 1, 9:32 AM

Poll: » Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Episode 61 Discussion

Etherius_ZS - Mar 30, 2022

1 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 1, 9:05 AM

Poll: » Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Episode 56 Discussion

Etherius_ZS - Mar 27, 2022

1 by kirA_-_ »»
Feb 29, 3:11 AM

Poll: » Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Episode 140 Discussion

Etherius_ZS - Mar 27, 2022

1 by Rayl1ght »»
Feb 26, 4:57 AM

Poll: » Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo (TV) Episode 148 Discussion

iamKetranLang - Jun 12, 2017

4 by Rayl1ght »»
Feb 26, 4:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.