Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2013 10:44 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Overall, a pretty good series imo although that OP song and animation isn't as consistent as I thought it'd be.

Oh and some of the team members missed out on their spotlights. Otherwise, this is actually a pretty decent show with basketball as the main focus and the team's dreams to achieve success. One thing though is that the 'romance' part is a bit weak. Well, it doesn't matter to me much anyways since I wasn't watching this show for any sort of love story.

The OST of this show is also pretty good along with some of the intensity in the matches.

7/10.
Jul 10, 2013 7:41 PM

Jan 2012
I really loved this anime. Wish they would of won that last match but I think it was better the way it turned out they all got stronger because of it and got closer as a team. Wish there was a little more development on the romance between Aika and Mai. Wish they would do another season. The manga is pretty long. So they have more story they could do it if they wanted too and do better animation.
MALoween 2022 Candies: Bonus :

MALoween 2023 Candies: Bonus :
Oct 3, 2013 4:41 PM

Aug 2012
There is Dear Boys II for Manga (about the Nationals) and after watching this i feel like reading it. Honestly for an Anime that lacks on some technical details (and with a weird animation) i wasn't expecting to get so involved in the plot by the end of it. Really liked it.
Apr 2, 2014 9:08 PM

Jul 2011
pokecenter said:
There is Dear Boys II for Manga (about the Nationals) and after watching this i feel like reading it. Honestly for an Anime that lacks on some technical details (and with a weird animation) i wasn't expecting to get so involved in the plot by the end of it. Really liked it.

Yeah, I doubt it will get a season 2 at this point.

I was thoroughly surprised by this series. I started without much expectation, but the character and develop managed to catch my attention. I can definitely say that I enjoyed it.

I'm happy that they lost the last game; it leaves it as a good cut off point, and will allow the team to develop and improve themselves even more. A 5 man team wouldn't be able to win the nationals. I like the characters, though its true some of them didn't get the chance to shine as much. I especially like that the MC is a powerhouse from the start, yet still has characterization, just like Fujiwara and the rival teams.

I definitely didn't appreciate the lack of consistency in the animation and the romance (ugh, Mutsumi...). But I enjoyed the games and the "training" periods. As well, I'm glad they didn't get power-ups and had to work to get stronger and improve their skills. Overall, this turned out to be one of my favorite basketball series and I would love to see more of it.
Can't find the complete manga though. :(
Sep 28, 2014 5:56 PM

Jul 2012
Fuuuck. I may have watched a lot of sports anime to know where it was going, but I still didn't expect that last minute loss in the finals. I didn't know it was that easy to get fouls in basketball. I wish Fuji would have been less reckless in that match.

Anyway, I'm pretty lazy so I'll just list stuff.

Things I liked:
- Addition of romance; I don't think it was that well written but seeing a sports anime pull it off is a nice treat.
- Honmoku was a realistic team with likable characters that weren't overpowered or anything. I liked that they were pretty much equal with Mizuno, not like how Kuroko no Basuke's GOM teams like Touo or Kaijo were written like those teams were superior and how Seirin was the underdog. Here, Mizuno was seen as a strong team which I liked
- Aikawa's plays! Wow, I loved watching him play. I like a variety of sports MCs but it's rare to see the protag stronger than everyone else

Things I didn't like:
- Animation and art. Ohmigod so baddddd. Ohmiigoddddd
- The fact that the other three (not Fuji or Aikawa) had noticable weaknesses and their personalities/characterization weren't fleshed out enough.
- Yuito's pushiness on Satomi. I love Yuito but that just made him seem like a douchebag
- It was hard to get into this show because the first 8 or so episodes were super cheesy. Cut out the bullying and angst please
- Too much basketball; I love sports anime having sports but I feel like there wasn't much in this show. For example, Kurobas had moments when the team bonded at various locations and Major had the whole Gibson subplot as well as non-sports episodes. Free! is a better example, having SOL and friendship in the show.

6/10 - Decent, but not quite good especially for its length. I liked it. I wish the manga was properly scanlated because I want to watch the rematch.

My next basketball series will either be "Real" or "Slam Dunk"...hmm.
MayukaSep 28, 2014 6:00 PM
Oct 27, 2014 12:25 PM
Oct 2014
mayukachan said:
Fuuuck. I may have watched a lot of sports anime to know where it was going, but I still didn't expect that last minute loss in the finals. I didn't know it was that easy to get fouls in basketball. I wish Fuji would have been less reckless in that match.

Hehe, I used to play basketball for a long time and I can tell you this: It is really easy to foul out of the game (experience..?)
But, it was and still is one of the most fun sports to do :-)

In general, I liked the anime. The animation was indeed a bit strange though it didn't stop me from watching (guess I got used to it by watching all of the Initial D as well)
The romance part.. I don't think it was necessary to be developped more because it actually goes about 5 boys who really love playing basketball and every other character are 'just' side characters.
The OST, it was okay, the powermusic when the games were progressing really managed to fire me up and made me want to go shoot some hoops.
The thing that I liked the most of this serie, is that Kazuya still made mistakes or 'got stuck' which made it all seem a lot more realistic. (compared to other bbal anime)

Well, overall, I'm happy I finally got to watch this! This serie definitly gets a 7/10!
Jun 24, 2020 8:47 PM

Aug 2016
Not the best, not the worst, but still a decent sports anime. Underrated because of the poor animation, wish the manga was translated or only a raw scan... really liked the characters. Remembers me of the inconcluse ending of slam dunk

7/10

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dear Boys Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2013

5 by teboxscl »»
Jan 8, 2021 10:21 AM

Poll: » Dear Boys Episode 7 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - May 23, 2010

4 by Meranwise »»
Aug 8, 2019 3:42 AM

Poll: » Dear Boys Episode 6 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - May 23, 2010

4 by Meranwise »»
Aug 8, 2019 3:03 AM

Poll: » Dear Boys Episode 5 Discussion

karmicphobias - Nov 30, 2012

2 by Meranwise »»
Aug 8, 2019 2:30 AM

Poll: » Dear Boys Episode 19 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - May 24, 2010

3 by lalabella »»
Nov 24, 2015 1:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.