Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2013 11:33 PM

Oct 2012
Response to ravagestorm:

Apr 12, 2013 11:34 PM

Dec 2012
ravagestorm said:
okanagan said:
In response to ravagestorm:

It is kinda annoying that she doesn't have a sob story to explain her behavior she is just
Apr 12, 2013 11:35 PM

Aug 2012
Oh... that was surprisingly good plot. Rotoscoping not so much.
Apr 12, 2013 11:35 PM

Apr 2012
So, Nakamura sets up Kasuga and Saeki in the library. I am interested in what people believe would have happened if Kasuga confessed that he stole her gym clothes. Though sparks would fly, I think the two of them could reach an understanding. One could also argue that Kasuga would have humiliated himself as well as Saeki. Other alternatives? Remember Nakamura is watching them.
Apr 12, 2013 11:55 PM

May 2010
This anime makes me feel like I'm being tested. Torn between the hate for animation and curiosity about the plot
Apr 13, 2013 12:11 AM

Apr 2010
Atleast it was better than the first episode. I actually really enjoy the ED now.
Apr 13, 2013 12:13 AM

Jan 2013
s2012k1993 said:
So, Nakamura sets up Kasuga and Saeki in the library. I am interested in what people believe would have happened if Kasuga confessed that he stole her gym clothes. Though sparks would fly, I think the two of them could reach an understanding. One could also argue that Kasuga would have humiliated himself as well as Saeki. Other alternatives? Remember Nakamura is watching them.

You know nothing about Saeki.
Apr 13, 2013 12:21 AM

Mar 2012
Maybe he's only watched the anime? Because I too am under the impression that Saeki is nice enough to have taken it lightly. In the first episode it seemed to be suggested that she was fond of Kasuga, even.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 13, 2013 12:34 AM

Jan 2013
Araby said:
Maybe he's only watched the anime? Because I too am under the impression that Saeki is nice enough to have taken it lightly. In the first episode it seemed to be suggested that she was fond of Kasuga, even.

Keep watching.
Apr 13, 2013 12:43 AM

Mar 2012
I plan on it :P.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 13, 2013 12:54 AM

Mar 2012
This episode was better than the first, I think. I'm actually more interested in Nakamura than Kasuga after watching this episode.
Apr 13, 2013 1:00 AM

Jan 2013
For some weird reason I'm enjoying this, is something wrong with me?
Apr 13, 2013 1:04 AM

May 2012
Nark0Punk said:
No. People just can't accept that some of us are actually ok with this.
Apr 13, 2013 1:08 AM

Jan 2011
After spending hours arguing last week with people about this shit I just had to drop in and read some of these comments and screen caps. You all did not disappoint. Funny as shit some of these posts.

Enjoy this crap and keep standing by that "it's going for realism rather than generic" or "it's taking a leap and it's refreshing" bs. I swear some of the blog post's I've read flaming that logic have been a delight to read.

But hey if you like it for what it is then no harm no foul to you.
Apr 13, 2013 1:09 AM

Jun 2012
i'll be honest. This grew on me, so my feelings from the end of episode 1 to now are different. I appreciate the unique and realistic artwork (although it's still pretty badly done). It's also still really creepy, but that's just the nature of it. must admit that I even looked forward to the next episode, although much due to the popularity (good or bad) of episode 1, and partly because it's unique.

One thing that my opinion for sure hasn't changed on- it's slow-paced. Like really, really slow. It could be intended for a build-up, but it's so drawn out..

Anyway, I'll keep watching not because I don't like to drop series (as it was earlier), but now because I found some interest in it.

Apr 13, 2013 1:44 AM

Sep 2012
Umeko said:
SetsukoHara said:
It's a good thing Nakamura is ugly as fuck in the anime. The chances that a hot girl like in the manga would have this kind of personality is actually pretty low.

Are you trolling, or are you seriously suggesting that there's a direct correlation between personality and an individual's physical appearance?

Not necessarilly, but physical appearance can affect the personality of a character, yes. And you have to be very naïve if you think the contrary.

You are a girl, you should know better, don't tell me you don't have any friend that put an important emphasis on her physical appearance.
Apr 13, 2013 1:45 AM

Oct 2009
Damn it was a good second episode.

Can't wait for the damn next episode.

That ED is the best.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2013 2:02 AM

Nov 2010
There is nothing more terrifying than someone discovering your most darkest and dirtiest secrets.

That Sawa has the power of blackmail for which to manipulate Takao at will.

*insert 30 Seconds to Mars song*
I play, the haters lose.
Apr 13, 2013 2:12 AM

Dec 2009
My only problem with the first episode was the slow pacing, and a whole lot more happened this episode so I'm good. The part where Kasuga jumps off his bike and runs off was hilarious.
Ara ara.
Apr 13, 2013 2:40 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Another good episode. I hate waiting a whole week for this. This series keeps you feeling uneasy and I love it. Great atmosphere and creepy build-up.
Apr 13, 2013 2:40 AM

Apr 2010
JustALEX said:
Oh, it's going to be so much fun coming to these episode discussions every week...

BTW...

Endless Eight > This

Oh.
Shit.
Gauntlets have been thrown.
Apr 13, 2013 3:06 AM

Feb 2008

Liking it so far. Nakamura looked cuter in this episode. And of course creepy as hell. Her look looks like she'll murder your family. Improvement over the manga where she was too adorable to be scary or creepy.

My only issues are the disappearing faces. Overall good episode. Looking forward to the ''shit hits the fan'' part.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 13, 2013 3:07 AM

Apr 2011
What the heck?
I can't say I hate it. It is just so different from all I have watched so far, sure it is strange as shit and I am not really a fan of the art. But the story is kind of intersting, because it is just so creepy.
The main chracter sure is strange. He acts like he did something that can never be forgiven in a hundred years. Also, I couldn't stop laughing when he ran away screeming from the girl and left his bike.
The ending song...just no comment. Also, why did they put no effort at all in the opening??
Still, I'll keep watching, because I want to know what will happen next.
Apr 13, 2013 3:17 AM

May 2012
Ohhhhh!! So we are at more than 70% approval now!! GREAT.,

See! Like many of us told you, the totality different style was preventing you from really appreciating Akuna no Hana virtues.

Finally got the time to watch it, LOVED IT. I am loving the OP, now I am loving the ED.

I am taking a liking to Nakamura. I can imagine how Kasuga feels, he wants -literally- the earth to swallow him whole.

Certainly as some have noted, the disappearing faces are noticeable, I take it as a part of the whole style, thou, I reckon it would have been better to have the faces at all moments, but what can I say, I am really, totally loving the visual style.

-Atomsk- said:
Nark0Punk said:

And worst, mad that many of us are not only ok but LOVING IT.

Chaospan said:

I still officially dislike this series, but I will admit that it's because I am a shallow visual-driven person when it comes to animation. I have minor issues with the pacing, but I do find the story to be engaging. I just can't get over the visuals to continue watching this. I suppose the overall experience is not what I'd call "immersive."

A very honest person here. Respect for being honest.
9988Apr 13, 2013 3:28 AM
Apr 13, 2013 3:24 AM

Mar 2011
This anime will be great if it had a better chara design seriously....
Decent episode btw
Apr 13, 2013 3:32 AM

Oct 2012
The OST is good
Apr 13, 2013 3:37 AM

Feb 2008
9988 said:

-Atomsk- said:
Nark0Punk said:

True, this is probably the show I'm enjoying the most out of all the Spring titles.
Apr 13, 2013 3:46 AM

May 2008
Man the story is so great why the heck did they have to screw up the animation so badly.

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 13, 2013 3:47 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Kayro said:
9988 said:

-Atomsk- said:
Nark0Punk said:

True, this is probably the show I'm enjoying the most out of all the Spring titles.

Yeah, its just barely behind AoT for me.
Apr 13, 2013 3:56 AM

Oct 2011
I like how it's going so far. I liked the manga and I hope the anime doesn't disappoint. Of course some scenes were badly made. Nakamura's meant to be more dark and mean but here she doesn't seem like it that much :(
Apr 13, 2013 4:08 AM

Aug 2010
After having read the manga (up until ch43), I now fear more than ever for this anime.

I wonder up until which point it will go.
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Apr 13, 2013 4:15 AM

Jul 2012
I really didn't like the art, but i have to admit, it suits the show very well IMO.

Despite all the hate, i'm actually enjoying the series and looking foward to the next ones.

PS: Last Scene made me remember why i think Nakamura is just awesome.
Apr 13, 2013 4:33 AM

Nov 2010
Perfect animation does't mean the story will be just as perfect.

There are shows which were very magnificent in terms of artwork, but falls flat when it comes to storytelling.
I play, the haters lose.
Apr 13, 2013 4:36 AM

Nov 2011
I fucking love LOVE love this anime xD Episode 2 was greaaattt. It made me realize something: I also LOVE Nakamura. She's resourceful, pervy and blunt! And it was her character in the anime that made me realize what the fuck is going on with this animation. People say it makes characters ugly, but seriously? How can it be ugly when it faithfully represents REAL PEOPLE? Aside of that, what is pure genious about the way they used this kind of animation is exactly this: characters DO look ugly in some scenes that NEED them to look ugly, like when Nakamura is in scary mode, giving the stinky eye. How awesome is that? Aren't you tired of fucking beautiful moe faces that even tired or evil characters have in normal anime?

Real people aren't always beautiful. But they are beautiful when they smile :P And OMIGOSH I nearly fell of my chair when I saw Nakamura smiling, even if it was a semi devilish smile.

I also don't really think she is evil. Didn't get too far on the manga yet, but she just seem lonely and just different and tired of all the crap and shallowness around her. She maybe MEAN, but that doesn't mean she's necessarily evi or bad.

I mean the freak here is rather Takao. It's annoying how he's so scared of confessing, how he cannot man up and how he can't even be true to himself about the feelings he has towards Saeki. I mean really, "pure love"? I do hope Nakamura will "help" him in this direction.
Apr 13, 2013 5:10 AM

Oct 2009
I just read the available chapters from the manga.

Fack.

It's so stupid. Stupidly good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2013 6:24 AM
Feb 2012
I'm interested in the story, I really am, but the visuals and character voices just annoy the living hell out of me. Aku no Hana is going on my 'plan to read' list but I'm done with the adaption.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Apr 13, 2013 6:40 AM

Apr 2012
Blah, blah, blah, bad animation, but that's not the real problem. It's the snail like pacing that's killing this for me. During the first episode I like the minimalist feel to every scene but now it's starting to grate on me a bit. I appreciate they are trying to build an atmosphere for the anime, but they are going about it the wrong way. There's no natural flow to any of it, instead they are trying to force it trying to make even mundane actions seem creepy or off putting. There were plenty of off putting scenes here, but when the anime tries to make absolutely everything off putting it weakens the effect.

For example the scene where he's kneeling over the clothes in a sexual position all while lamenting his decision to steal them, that was a pretty strong scene, showing his conflicting impulses. That scene worked, but it loses impact because the anime tried to make every scene feel just like that. Then there is his decision to steal the gym clothes in the first place, that could have been another strong scene, but they let it play out for so long it's like they were screaming at the top of their lungs THIS IS IMPORTANT to the point where it got distracting.

I still don't think the show is terrible but this is another 6/10 episode for me.
Apr 13, 2013 7:17 AM

Jun 2011
So...they went for a more realistic art direction and instead of big boobed almost perfect girls we got normal looking japanese girls...and a lot of people go ape-shit about it?

I could understand if you didn´t like the art style itself, afterall if you didn´t grew up with seeing something like this you might never understand what the hell they are trying to do or why they would do something like this.
Lord of the Rings 1978 version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjBtphrXgxQ

Or the slow pace, which in itself, is nothing more than a directing device to build up tension and atmosphere, though it can be daunting for some to try to match oneself to the flow of this series.

But really...whining about not having your typical shoujo style beauties?
Do you want to fall in love with 2D sprites so badly?

Well, a lot of people didn´t like Okami on the PS2 for it´s visual style, slow gameflow and easy fights, while I and a lot of others who understand to appreaciate something that tries to be different, treasure it among PS2 pearls like Shadow of the Colossus and Odin´s Sphere.

Though, I have to admit, the hatred a lot of people harbour for this series is amazing. It´s stunning how humans behave when they think they are entitled to discredit something someone else likes, just because their sense of self evaluation in context to their sense of right and wrong/black and white is supperior to those that are of another opinion.
Truly marvelous and a nice showing of how our modern soceity thinks and works, since most of humanity is nowadays a lot like that and since the masses are the ruling class of ratings, studies, polls, etc this might bad critics and reviews everywhere, but still reach something that happens often if a lot of people deem something as bad: Public propaganda and everlasting fame as something that is considered so bad, that a lot of those who hear about it, want to experience itself, thus making a name for itself for a long time.

So if you don´t like it, you should stop spreading the word about it, as otherwise, you´re just pouring oil into the fire and fuel it with your own passion of hating on it.

Just a little advice on the sideroad.
Apr 13, 2013 7:31 AM
Sep 2012
symbv said:
A guy or a girl?

The fuck is this guys? the fuck is this? ^
Apr 13, 2013 7:44 AM

Jan 2011
Okay, Aku no Hana...I don't have anything against your general artstyle and I'm one of the guys who thinks that the anime doesn't have to be exactly like the manga, but are you really trying to sell this thing as a girl?
Apr 13, 2013 7:44 AM

Jun 2010
Its a cross-breed...
Apr 13, 2013 8:11 AM

Dec 2007
Just how is she ugly?

I don't see it.
Apr 13, 2013 8:16 AM

Oct 2008
one_eyed_dragon said:
So...they went for a more realistic art direction and instead of big boobed almost perfect girls we got normal looking japanese girls...and a lot of people go ape-shit about it?

Fanservice T&A and upskirt animes keep constantly being made for a reason.
There's demand for it. As unfortunate as it is.

I'm liking this anime so far (the unsettling atmosphere is pretty well done), but I'm pretty sure they knew this anime would be polarizing.
If you look at how detailed the background is and step back from the character models and look at the animation and facial expressions, you can see that the character models are INTENTIONAL. They were made to further unsettle the viewer.

Also...

I can't be the only one to have gotten a chuckle out of that.
OmniknightApr 13, 2013 8:37 AM
Apr 13, 2013 8:17 AM
Apr 2013
messedup said:
are you really trying to sell this thing as a girl?

Do you know Matsuko マツコ in JP?
Apr 13, 2013 8:35 AM

Feb 2008
Earwen said:
Just how is she ugly?

I don't see it.

Ugly. Small eyes, big mouth and not hand drawn. 3DPD.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 13, 2013 8:39 AM

Dec 2009
Oh dear.

The first episode was fine, rather good in fact. It created a great atmosphere, even if certain scenes lacked impact.

This episode... was a mess. It looked worse (the classroom scene in particular and it felt like everything was moving in slow-motion.

After having checked out the manga, I think the biggest issue with the anime is that, despite doing its own thing with rotoscoping, it is TOO TRUE to the manga. It follows it panel by panel, which leads to scenes coming off as awkard in the anime. The bicycle scream and the screaming was a notable example.

In a sense, all of these mistakes could be argued to build up a creepy atmosphere, but I just get annoyed by them.

Hopefully they will get back on track with the third episode.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Apr 13, 2013 9:04 AM

Aug 2010
Earwen said:
Just how is she ugly?

I don't see it.

Agreed. I found her cute in ep1 already, though she (and everyone else) is prone to deliver mugshots for screencaps.

I like that threating "Don't fuck with me, shit eaters!" look of hers XD
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Apr 13, 2013 9:07 AM
Oct 2012
Earwen said:
Just how is she ugly? I don't see it.

Hang over from first episode. Both Nakamura and Saeki were improved in this episode, not much but there were subtle differences, including a bit more detail to their faces making them cuter and softer around the edges.

It's only the second episode, but I have a feeling that the director purposely made the first episode to piss people off and is now slowly adding detail to the characters as the story defines them more. I am going to predict that in the upcoming episodes the characters design will continue to develop.

I think the author could be making a statement. About how we really don't "see" people until we get to know them better. So what better way to show this than to start with ill defined blobs that become increasingly more focused as we get to know them better.

To use Nakamura for an example, in the first episode she had a stupid menacing cow-like look to her when introduced, which is probably the way the protagonist viewed her, but now that she is forcing herself into his vision, his perception and tastes are beginning to change.

If this is deliberate, as opposed to me reading too much into 2 episodes and some relatively minor changes, then one does have to salute the director for choosing this route. But we need more data points before figuring out if that is his intent.

Episode 1 Namamura for comparison.
Apr 13, 2013 9:07 AM

Oct 2010
Another excellent episode, I love the style and so far everything about this show.

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Apr 13, 2013 9:09 AM

Feb 2013
DoomCraft said:
My only problem with the first episode was the slow pacing, and a whole lot more happened this episode so I'm good. The part where Kasuga jumps off his bike and runs off was hilarious.

We're at chapter 3, so there's nothing wrong with pacing. It's just very traditional movie pacing sort of like in the Japanese Shogun movie I watched a while back...
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

324 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

118 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.