Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2013 12:39 AM

Jun 2011
So many unexpected things going on. Most of which caught me off-guard.
Yet another space mech anime that i got to wait every week for
Apr 12, 2013 12:59 AM

Dec 2012
Nyron said:

N o one watched phi brain.
And don't get ME started on T&B. The show went from 10/10 to god awful in the last third. that show killed all the faith I had left Iin them

You rated T&B 9 in your review so I don't know why that 'god awful' that 'killed all the faith I left in them' come from?

In your other account, you rated Code Geass R2, Sunrise flagship Mecha of its time, a 3. So your beef with Sunrise has been going on for so long indeed.

No wonder why you go for such length to trash Valvrare. You wrote both in the episode thread and the review page just to make your view seen. You even get out of your way to praise Majestic Prince, a show riddles with even more cliques and has worse character designs than Valvrare, as something on par with Gargantia! Sorry, but that's where you lost me on your whole supposedly impartial and objective review. You whole goal of trashing the show and Sunrise, and trying to persuade people to not even give the show a chance really reveals here, no matter how many words you wrote to cover it. But actually, I do wonder if those are your honest opinions considering you praise some abysmal writings like Aquarion Evol so much. If that is the case, I seriously question your taste in Mecha anime

Valvrare is not something ground-breaking, but it's a solid Mecha show. From the animation, character design, to the overall plot all radiate Mecha feel. It's similar to other Sunrise shows, but that's a working and well received formula so I don't see why the studio has to make something different. Unless you are not into Sunrise's Mecha, I don't see why you can hate it. For newbie to the genre, it's certainly pretty and interesting enough to keep them watching.

All in all, I object to your views on Valvrare. Your mini review is well written. But it does not mean your opinion is impartial, or even correct
Apr 12, 2013 1:01 AM

Feb 2011
I do agree with those who think this anime has a Gundam Seed feeling. I'm shocked and surprised the same time that they didn't censored any of those violence scenes. Haruto got stabbed in the chest After that L-elf is shooting Haruto's body multiple times. And What!? Haruto is a vampire now ? A vampire in a mecha ? you can count me in :) And as expected the visuals and animations are awesome looking i love it.

The characters art reminds me of Sacred Seven + a little bit of Gundam Seed. Valvrave looks like Nirvash from Eureka Seven + Aquarion together. And it looks like this anime got a great budget just look at that cast list so many well known seiyuu up there.

I'm loving the Opening Music "Preserved Roses" by T.M.Revolution x Mizuki Nana. Definitely a 5/5 from me. can't wait till the next episode!!
srwgfanApr 12, 2013 1:04 AM
Apr 12, 2013 1:01 AM

Sep 2012
Well, somehow I think Sunrise is getting better, at least surely it is far from being worse than its past.

@ThangLong,
You save me from writing yet another long-ish post. Thanks ;-)
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 12, 2013 1:09 AM

Oct 2010
The beginning was average
-I'm glad there is killing
-If they keep up with this animation and mecha fights i will keep watching
-Main character is pretty much a coward i bet he breaks down next episode.
Apr 12, 2013 1:16 AM

Nov 2010
Am I like the only person who felt that him getting into the mecha was painfully forced? And actually being able to use it effectively? ... Because I found myself cringing at the poor writing. I also very much hope Ms. Heroine stays dead. She wasn't that bad a character, I just really don't want Mr. MC to complain about this throughout the whole show. Get over it. Go pilot your stolen(?) robot and kick some butt please. If she turns out to be alive and fall into enemy hands (I have a bad feeling)... Just shoot me. speaking of which my opinion of the show before the op; blehhh might continue to watch... My opinion after the op; 0___o Did he just?? ... *rewinds* .... *rewinds again* I am now very anxiously waiting an explanation.
Apr 12, 2013 1:27 AM

Aug 2012
Nyron said:
My expectations for mecha anime are very high
Also one does not simply mashup two pop song artists into an OP and have it be good

Scryed and 08th ms team were great
I was trying to make a point about how low sunrise has fallen since then

Also also Attack on Titan is totally mecha. You gotta read that manga

Your "point" was fairly abysmal.
You have high expectations for mecha anime, and yet.... MP. Seriously.

In regards to the OP, I just...??? You've said nothing but "it sucks" without continuing with anything respectfully critical. Your use of "mashup" is also incorrect, btw.
Again, I wonder if we were even listening to/watching the same thing.
Apr 12, 2013 1:31 AM

Jan 2013
Firixizu_Mint said:

...The animation was a bit lazy, but overall decent...

I'm always a horrible judge with animation.

but, the animation here was pretty good. Loved the eye designs.
Apr 12, 2013 1:37 AM

Dec 2012
hull1996 said:
Am I like the only person who felt that him getting into the mecha was painfully forced?

While watching RAW, I felt like it was being dragged a little. However, it got better in the subed version since I am more engaged in what's going on.

hull1996 said:
And actually being able to use it effectively?

The explantion maybe is in the next episode. It cetainly has something to do with 'not being human' I guess that the MC somehow synchronizes with the robot, and becoming 'two-in-one' Thus, he can drive it effectively without problem, and he will live as long as the robot survives.
Apr 12, 2013 1:54 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
bippo said:
So Kira is a vampire now huh. Fucking Sunrise. I'm in.

Haruto definitely reminded me of Kira with his kind and peaceful nature...even the revenge part, except this time, it's for a girl. Holy hell was I surprised at the end when that guy just stabbed Haruto like that, then proceeded to shoot Haruto o_O all that blood. I really wasn't expecting it, but there was a good amount of bloodshed in this episode. And that red hair guy who's voiced by KajiKaji seems pretty crazy...when he saw that one of the staff was still alive, he got excited and shot him repeatedly. Hm, seems like one of those unnecessary crazy antagonist that I've seen in Gundam Seed...we don't need any of those shallow annoying ass antagonists, thank you very much. Still, I like the character designs, but that's about it for this episode. Since it's 2 cour/seasons, it should get better. I won't judge too much since it's only the first episode. Besides, that last part was pretty creepy. Obviously Haruto wasn't dead but I definitely didn't predict that he would go and bite that silver hair guy.
Apr 12, 2013 1:58 AM

May 2012
Best mecha action since Gundam 00 and Gundam Unicorn.
Screw the childish crappy Gundam Age.

SUNRISE's still the king of mecha anime.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Apr 12, 2013 2:07 AM

Dec 2007
Jesus fuck I was surprised with that vampire thing!!
Apr 12, 2013 2:08 AM

Feb 2008
Plot is pretty much a standard Gundam story. Invasion of a neutral colony hiding a new prototype, boy meets Gundam, boy is Newtype etc. But overall the episode was more enjoyable than the first episodes of the other two /m/ shows. Hope that girl stays dead.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 12, 2013 2:27 AM
Aug 2011
lol this show and what is going on with that ending?

Idk what places this is going to go to...but I do want to find out.
I can feel lots of crazy radiating from these characters/universe already.
Apr 12, 2013 2:41 AM

Jan 2011
ThangLong said:
Nyron said:

And don't get ME started on T&B. The show went from 10/10 to god awful in the last third. that show killed all the faith I had left Iin them

You rated T&B 9 in your review so I don't know why that 'god awful' that 'killed all the faith I left in them' come from?

In your other account, you rated Code Geass R2, Sunrise flagship Mecha of its time, a 3. So your beef with Sunrise has been going on for so long indeed.

No wonder why you go for such length to trash Valvrare. You wrote both in the episode thread and the review page just to make your view seen. You even get out of your way to praise Majestic Prince, a show riddles with even more cliques and has worse character designs than Valvrare, as something on par with Gargantia! Sorry, but that's where you lost me on your whole supposedly impartial and objective review. You whole goal of trashing the show and Sunrise, and trying to persuade people to not even give the show a chance really reveals here, no matter how many words you wrote to cover it. But actually, I do wonder if those are your honest opinions considering you praise some abysmal writings like Aquarion Evol so much. If that is the case, I seriously question your taste in Mecha anime

Valvrare is not something ground-breaking, but it's a solid Mecha show. From the animation, character design, to the overall plot all radiate Mecha feel. It's similar to other Sunrise shows, but that's a working and well received formula so I don't see why the studio has to make something different. Unless you are not into Sunrise's Mecha, I don't see why you can hate it. For newbie to the genre, it's certainly pretty and interesting enough to keep them watching.

All in all, I object to your views on Valvrare. Your mini review is well written. But it does not mean your opinion is impartial, or even correct
Get bodied, +1 to you.
Apr 12, 2013 2:46 AM

Apr 2009
ThangLong said:
Nyron said:

Damn.lol.

Anyways. It felt really typical of Sunrise for the most part at first. But the the whole vampire like deal threw it off.lol. I didn't expect that. He got up and bit the other guy. So that suit turned him into a vampire? Its interesting and that suit was pretty badass. I like the Samurai theme of it.
Apr 12, 2013 2:50 AM

Mar 2010
I hate mecha anime but the end was creepy XD
Apr 12, 2013 2:54 AM

May 2012
Really good first episode in my opinion. The action was intense and the visuals look to be top notch. I see a lot of potential in this show since it seems to possess the right amount of seriousness and lightheartedness all at once. It sucks the MC's love interest had to die in the first episode, but for some reason I don't think she's really dead. I could be totally wrong but whatever, it's just a hunch. The rivalry between the MC and the white haired kid seems to have been set into motion, hopefully we'll get some good mecha action from those two in the future. The ending scene really threw me for a loop with the whole sudden zombie transformation and everything. I guess whoever pilots Valvrave has to become a zombie or something?! Anyway great first episode, and I really look forward to watching the rest of this series!
"No matter how much of a genius one is, in front of the Uchiha name, they're just ordinary people." - Sasuke Uchiha

Apr 12, 2013 2:58 AM

Apr 2010
So... a mobile suit that turns you into a vampire. That's new.
Apr 12, 2013 3:14 AM

Jun 2011
...gundam seed 2? Yep, gundam seed 2.

:DDDD

First impressions: 7/10
Apr 12, 2013 3:29 AM
Apr 2012
the surprise was vampires!
Apr 12, 2013 3:29 AM

Mar 2013
I hope Shouko is not dead.

5/5

Apr 12, 2013 3:30 AM

May 2010
Meh I'm not really impress with the MC and most of the character but the animation is great so I guess I'm giving it 7.5/10
MyAmyApr 12, 2013 3:42 AM
Apr 12, 2013 4:15 AM

Mar 2011
1st episode was good but that ending is killing.
Apr 12, 2013 4:22 AM

Feb 2012
Holy shit that ending. I'm hooked, I'll be looking forward to seeing each episode on a weekly basis.
Apr 12, 2013 4:23 AM

Oct 2008
Irenesharda said:
Pknoctis said:
Eh. So far, premise has been an exact mix of Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny.

Gundam Seed:
-Outsiders invade neutral colony, lots of innocents die
-Kid gets in a mech and does a lot of damage
-Tension between MC and another kid from opposing faction

Gundam Seed Destiny:
-Beloved dies (or did she? they didn't show her body)
-In response, MC screams into the air
-MC decides to pilot a mecha because of their beloved

This show is what you could call a Gundam clone, and believe me, not just Gundam Seed/Destiny and Gundam 00 have done this. All Gundams all the way back to Gundam 0079 have these elements in one way or another. After a while, you can probably just plot out the first episode of any given Gundam series in your sleep. they literally have a formula.

I don't really see your point when Mecha has been doing the exact same stuff since Go Nagai. 99% of mecha has a character "stumbling" into a mecha and magically learning how to control it. What type of mecha anime doesn't have 2 opposing sides fighting because of some type of war? I mean, yeah, you could say this is similar to Gundam in more ways then 1, but calling it a Gundam clone is just a bit ignorant. Just saying that I honestly think the reason people choose to compare every mecha to Gundam is because it's mainstream and it's usually the anime that people think about when Mecha comes to mind.
AvakianApr 12, 2013 4:28 AM
Apr 12, 2013 4:30 AM

Dec 2009
Never watched Gundam or much mecha, so I don't have much to compare it to. But at least this anime seems better than Majestic Prince >.<. Will watch for a few episodes. Wow, blood and deaths (not even drawn out deaths!) in an anime! Haven't seen that in a while; I'm pleasantly surprised.
Apr 12, 2013 4:38 AM
Oct 2010
Kirahito said:
Irenesharda said:
Pknoctis said:
Eh. So far, premise has been an exact mix of Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny.

Gundam Seed:
-Outsiders invade neutral colony, lots of innocents die

Gundam Seed Destiny:
-Beloved dies (or did she? they didn't show her body)
-In response, MC screams into the air
-MC decides to pilot a mecha because of their beloved

This show is what you could call a Gundam clone, and believe me, not just Gundam Seed/Destiny and Gundam 00 have done this. All Gundams all the way back to Gundam 0079 have these elements in one way or another. After a while, you can probably just plot out the first episode of any given Gundam series in your sleep. they literally have a formula.

I don't really see your point when Mecha has been doing the exact same stuff since Go Nagai. 99% of mecha has a character "stumbling" into a mecha and magically learning how to control it. What type of mecha anime doesn't have 2 opposing sides fighting because of some type of war? I mean, yeah, you could say this is similar to Gundam in more ways then 1, but calling it a Gundam clone is just a bit ignorant. Just saying that I honestly think the reason people choose to compare every mecha to Gundam is because it's mainstream and it's usually the anime that people think about when Mecha comes to mind.

It's not a straight up gundam clone, but it's extremely and I mean extremely close to 00's and Wing's setup + some code geass madness involved.

EDIT: I also disagree about another thing, this is the first time in a while sunrise has done a mecha series where the MC stumbles upon a mech and can mysteriously pilot it in a while. Even gundam unicorn puts this in place to avoid that trope. Last one was seed.
GD1551Apr 12, 2013 4:51 AM
Apr 12, 2013 5:03 AM

May 2011
SquChan said:
Wow this opening was fantastic. T.M. Revolution + Mizuki Nana had to be double awesome, no doubt. But ofc I also liked the episode. I guess if the girl you love dies, you couldn't care less about resigning as human being lol But dat end! Hadn't a WTF?!-moment like this in ages. He turned into a friggin' vampire (without fangs)?!
So far I like none of the characters..................... but I guess that is too soon to say anyways.

However.. I want THIS OPENING! In full! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This pretty sum up my thoughts.
Apr 12, 2013 5:08 AM

Feb 2013
the first episode is great...mecha along with supernatural...wait can i consider it supernatural?well great episode, uncensored violence as well as the color in the battle scene is outstanding...

anyway...is it really a vampire?i thought it's a zombie...
Apr 12, 2013 5:13 AM

Nov 2012
It's ok. Pretty cliched random person with 0 mech or piloting skills, somehow able to fight in a giant robot through the power of love. Meh. Although the ending after the credits was pretty cool, and somehow I don't think Shoko is dead.

Will keep watching to see how it goes on.
niaxatoApr 12, 2013 5:29 AM
Apr 12, 2013 5:23 AM
Sep 2011
The 1st half of the episode was pretty typical, I think...if not for the 2nd part I wouldn't watch the next episode...
and because of the ending...I DEFINITELY watch the next episode...

I think it's possible that this anime is different from others, at least due to the ending scene...

I can't wait for next week!!!
Apr 12, 2013 5:40 AM

Mar 2011
mg021 said:
Elite60 said:
These reminded me of the TIE Fighter in Star Wars. The basic structure looks similar but these are thicker.

lol that's what I thought too. my reaction: "wait, we've got space nazis piloting tie fighters?"

And then they start fighting and you realise they're actually decepticons.
Apr 12, 2013 5:52 AM

Jan 2013
jepong003 said:
I hope Shouko is not dead.

I'm with you! Seems just a few are left wondering about her fate. I was sticking by it just for her but now she might be dead?
C'mon no not again... SHIRLEY! ....Sorry flashback damn Code Geass..

I liked the ending scene, surprised me but man is Shoko still alive? C'mon stop killing the cute girls. I hope so but I don't like where her lineup is on cast member. Regulated to a supporting cast 〜( ̄△ ̄〜)
Apr 12, 2013 6:01 AM

Jul 2010
he seems too acquainted with using the machine, suddenly pulling off moves like that ._. the hell

anyway, decent ep
Apr 12, 2013 6:02 AM

Sep 2008
Why isn't this called Gundam? Everything is a classic repeat of past Gundam episode 1!

The mecha design and interface does look interesting though. Gundams used a traditional cockpit, Evangelion used sensory links, I wonder what this vampire thing is about?

They've tweaked with the sound balance on the OP as usual and the vocals seemed suppressed. It sounds quite muffled, much like TMR's INVOKE. I cannot wait for the standalone version in a month's time and hoping it's spammy in Audiosurf.
Hyouka and real-life Takayama comparison blog: Completed 31/10/2015
http://hyoukaorigination.blogspot.com/

Aria the Animation and real-life Venice comparision blog:
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Apr 12, 2013 6:05 AM

Mar 2011
Uchihafan25 said:
It sucks the MC's love interest had to die in the first episode, but for some reason I don't think she's really dead. I could be totally wrong but whatever, it's just a hunch.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say “for some reason” = because this is not the first anime you watch in your life. ;-)
Apr 12, 2013 6:16 AM

Mar 2011
I have to agree with everyone saying it's a Gundam show in everything but the name. My guess is they decided not to call it Gundam so they can get a little experimental with the excess violence and the... well either supernatural or pseudo-supernatural elements.

As a Gundam clone, I'd have kept watching it and then rate it in the 4-6 area when it's over. Heck, I didn't drop EVOL. But then they surprised me with the gritty violence. That's quite nice and I haven't seen enough of that in mecha shows. That made it a keeper for me.

And then the ED came and I was quite happy with the show, and I let it play because I wanted to see if like the song and because I just a couple of weeks ago warned a friend about how many animes are having post-credits scenes. And then the post-credits scene came and despite my warning, I was slightly surprised there was one. “Oh well, it's basically fluff. He meets the antagonist again and they're going to set the tone for their relationship. Let's see how it... OMG WHAT... he's dead now? That's cool! What does that mean? Is the antagonist going to take Valvrave? That's an awesome twist and WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA OMGWTFBBQ he is... he did... WHAT???”

Verdict: even if they completely screw it up on ep #2 and then the show goes on to be crap, #1 remains interesting as a stand-alone short featurette. If they don't screw it up, this is going to be a show to remember. No, not ground-breaking, but thoroughly enjoyable.

--

p.s.: I wish MAL had a blacklist kind of feature, so I could put everyone in this topic saying Majestic Prince is better than Valvrave into a “don't know if trolling or no taste whatsoever” list and forever ignore their ratings and reviews, because seriously, wth, are you even watching the same shows I did?
Apr 12, 2013 6:19 AM

Apr 2009
THE SURPRISE WAS VAMPIRES!

wryyyyy

NilviusApr 12, 2013 7:14 AM
Apr 12, 2013 6:25 AM

Feb 2008
So this was pretty much Gundam SEED minus the Gundams, and the fact the MC is now a zombie like thing. It was still a nice start though, and I especially liked the animation.
Apr 12, 2013 6:32 AM

May 2009
This will be glorious trainwreck.
Apr 12, 2013 6:38 AM

Feb 2008
Kirahito said:

Funny that you mentioned Go Nagai, since Kabuto Kouji had issues with the controls. And it is a Gundam clone because the story is entirely the same so far. Gundam did it first as far as I know, so it's natural to compare it to Gundam instead of something else.

Pknoctis said:
-Outsiders invade neutral colony, lots of innocents die (add neutral colony hiding uber weapon)

That's like a plot six Gundams already did. 79, Zeta, F91, Seed, 80 (minus kid part), Unicorn etc.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 12, 2013 6:39 AM

Jun 2008
Kayro said:
So this was pretty much Gundam SEED minus the Gundams, and the fact the MC is now a zombie like thing. It was still a nice start though, and I especially liked the animation.

Agreed, plus you have to have TM Revolution on the ending track (nice touch including Nana Mizuki), otherwise it wouldn't be a Sunrise big robot production.
Apr 12, 2013 6:47 AM

Dec 2009
The plot has been overly used several times on Gundam Series, + Code Geass + Jojo Bizzare Adventures?

Code Gundam Adventures?
Gundam Geass Adventures?

Pretty hilarious

Apr 12, 2013 6:53 AM

Apr 2009
no one expects the vampiric zombie inquisition
Apr 12, 2013 7:00 AM

Dec 2009
They just change the idea instead of using their eyes to control and manipulate, why not use biting power!
Apr 12, 2013 7:03 AM

Apr 2009
The protagonist doesn't pilot a white mecha.

I'm impressed.
Apr 12, 2013 7:05 AM

Dec 2009
Nilvius said:

I'm impressed.

LOL
Apr 12, 2013 7:11 AM

Dec 2009
It was good till the actual sci-fi started. Then I threw my hands up and stopped caring. Hopefully this was just a poor excuse to get it started.

But hey, at least we got a glorious opening!

I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Apr 12, 2013 7:14 AM

Apr 2009
gendouhydeist said:
Nilvius said:

I'm impressed.

LOL
Also, what is it with Sunrise and their love for "youths infiltrating base to hijack secret weapon" as a first episode. It's like the mecha equivalent of "running out with a piece of toast in the mouth".
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» is it good?

me_good - Mar 24, 2016

2 by RudeRedis »»
Jan 20, 9:37 AM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2013

432 by neeJay »»
Mar 17, 2023 7:27 AM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2013

677 by Catalano »»
Nov 13, 2021 12:09 PM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 16, 2013

270 by Catalano »»
Oct 6, 2021 11:55 PM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 9, 2013

342 by Catalano »»
Sep 29, 2021 9:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.