Forum Settings
Forums

What's the most violently and emotionally disturbing anime/manga?

New
Apr 10, 2013 4:37 PM

Dec 2008
I mean i'm familiar with suehiro maruo, junji ito, katsuhiro otomo, berserk manga, serial experiments lain, but i'm searching for something even deeper and more experimental. can anyone elaborate? (not just mindless violence anime please but more psychological and engaging)
"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire."
Apr 10, 2013 4:43 PM

Apr 2011
You might like goodnight pun pun, or homunculus. Both are manga.
Apr 10, 2013 4:47 PM

Oct 2012
Texhnolyze has quite a few scenes that made me wince at, though I see you've already seen that.

However, your profile pic is quite disturbing there, OP :P

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Apr 10, 2013 4:47 PM

Jul 2012
shiki
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Apr 10, 2013 4:55 PM

Sep 2012
I'll second Shiki.
Apr 10, 2013 4:57 PM

Jan 2013
Berserk
Apr 10, 2013 5:02 PM
Jul 2018
violence jack
Apr 10, 2013 5:04 PM

Jun 2012
Emotionally disturbing, huh? Kono S had some serious NTR that got me infuriated, more than the Eclipse in Berserk.

The ending of Sundome was like being stabbed in the chest with a spear. It was just too much to take in all at once. I would need to write a couple of paragraphs of spoilers to get into it, but it was very psychological.

Texhnolyze was like being crushed by a hydraulic press. It certainly left me hollow for a few hours. It's a really hard feeling to describe.

Koe no Katachi is a one shot about bullying and that was more endearing than most of the stuff I've read. You couldn't help but be a little depressed and angry about what you're reading.

The ending of Bokurano (manga) was one of the grimmest things I've witnessed. It was certainly brutal and difficult to deal with. It had more shock value than any of the tragedies I've witnessed.

Eden: It's an Endless World had a couple of character deaths that made me really upset. It was just difficult to bear with, because as soon as you think things are going to be fine and dandy, a very important character gets killed and everything gets sent back into a state of chaos.
HolybaptiserApr 10, 2013 5:08 PM
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Apr 10, 2013 5:05 PM

Jun 2012
Corpse Party: Missing Footage

I'll just say the first minute or 2 are disturbing.
Apr 10, 2013 5:10 PM

Apr 2011
Notice you didn't watch Shin Sekai Yori, that fits what you're looking for well. It was pretty good too.
FintanApr 10, 2013 5:30 PM
Apr 10, 2013 5:21 PM
May 2010
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:
Notice you didn't watch Shin Seki Yori, that fits what you're looking for well. It was pretty good too.
Don't you mean Shinsekai Yori? I second that.
MEanimaniac1 said:
Corpse Party: Missing Footage

I'll just say the first minute or 2 are disturbing.
Corpse Party: Tortured Soul - This summer, could be something to look forward to.
Apr 10, 2013 5:25 PM

Dec 2008
Holybaptiser said:

The ending of Bokurano (manga) was one of the grimmest things I've witnessed. It was certainly brutal and difficult to deal with. It had more shock value than any of the tragedies I've witnessed.

yup, read that one, cold shit
Apr 10, 2013 5:27 PM

Dec 2008
thanks for the recs so far, i'm only put off by those with a more "modern and generic" design, i like original artwork too
Apr 10, 2013 5:31 PM

Jan 2012
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:
Notice you didn't watch Shin Seki Yori, that fits what you're looking for well. It was pretty good too.
I love this show, I really do, but I'd hardly call it "disturbing". Guess it kinda depends on what you consider disturbing, but in my opinion, SSY is about as disturbing as Madoka.

I'm looking forward to the replies in this thread, there are hardly any Anime I'd actually call disturbing. I haven't seen that many though, I know School days and Higurashi have a few disturbing scenes and I''m sure there are enough anime who are disturbing for the sake of being disturbing (Psycho pass had a lot of scenes that come to my mind), but something actually disturbing and still worthwile? I'm sure it'll look better in the Manga departmenet, so again, really looking forward to the replies here.

@LanaNi, who gives a fuck about romanization really?
Apr 10, 2013 5:33 PM

Apr 2011
You should really check out goodnight pun pun, I have a feeling you would like most of that mangakas work. Very psychological and a tad depressing, although one of his better manga is at least somewhat uplifting. I see that you already had Homunculus on your plan to read, it's finished now so read it! Those are some of the best psychological anime/manga i've come across. Not exactly violent, but both have their violent moments.
Apr 10, 2013 5:35 PM

Dec 2008
so far the the most disturbing for me were junji ito's Uzumaki (gave me anxiety and paranoia), suehiro maruo's works are like bad acid trips, berserk had some moments of pure anguish, akira and blame manga too, give a feeling of dystopia and depression, a bit disturbing too, evangelion's monologues, i'm looking for more stuff like this
Apr 10, 2013 5:37 PM

Dec 2008
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:
You should really check out goodnight pun pun, I have a feeling you would like most of that mangakas work. Very psychological and a tad depressing, although one of his better manga is at least somewhat uplifting. I see that you already had Homunculus on your plan to read, it's finished now so read it! Those are some of the best psychological anime/manga i've come across. Not exactly violent, but both have their violent moments.

have to start reading that one then
Apr 10, 2013 7:55 PM
Dec 2012
ef - a tale of melodies, specifically the scene where Yuuko unveils her dirty secret in Episode 6. It made me want to stab certain character in uneven and repeated fashion. Then I felt distraught after sobering up, realizing what I was about to do with my mattress.

If you're interested in trying that scene out on your psyche, it's a sequel, so it would take some time to get enough context to appreciate. Though by all means, check out memories, because it has its own share of chilling moments.
ZeroReq011Apr 10, 2013 7:59 PM
Apr 10, 2013 8:09 PM

Apr 2013
school days hands down, knew nothing going into it and the first few episodes were all happy go lucky then BOOM, fucker hits you outta no where.

Apr 10, 2013 9:04 PM

Apr 2013
Berserk
Shingeki No Kyojin
Apr 10, 2013 9:25 PM

Jun 2012
Shiki and School Days
Apr 10, 2013 9:27 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Thread moved.
Apr 10, 2013 11:33 PM

May 2009
Riiken said:
Shiki and School Days

Really?

Anyways, for rec try Brad Harley no Basha.
bergilApr 10, 2013 11:38 PM
Apr 11, 2013 4:16 AM
Jul 2011
Ichi The Killer
Arigatou
Apr 11, 2013 4:19 AM

Feb 2013
Berserk
Gantz at the end of the anime, but all throughout the manga.
Apr 11, 2013 4:22 AM

Oct 2012
Most fucked one up I'd say Blood - C .. that stuff is messed up, emotionally would be school days was a great show at the start, then like Xlypher said just hits you...
Apr 11, 2013 4:24 AM

Jul 2011
The most disturbing manga I've seen which I don't remember the name was the one who tells a true story of a young student who has been kidnapped by a gang of boys, she was raped and tortured for more than 2 months until the death.
Apr 11, 2013 5:05 AM

Oct 2012
ainky said:
The most disturbing manga I've seen which I don't remember the name was the one who tells a true story of a young student who has been kidnapped by a gang of boys, she was raped and tortured for more than 2 months until the death.

mhm I'm not sure of that one either, I read a manga that was sort of like the serbian film also, where some old lady would torture school girls with needles and barb wire in the genitalia ... man it makes me sick to even think about it.
StegzApr 11, 2013 5:30 AM
Apr 11, 2013 5:15 AM

May 2009
vbyo said:
ainky said:

mhm I'm not sure of that one either, I read a manga that was sort of like the Siberian film also, where some old lady would torture school girls with needles and barb wire in the genitalia ... man it makes me sick to even think about it.

What Siberian film? If you mean Srpski Film it's got nothing to do with Siberia at all.
Apr 11, 2013 5:28 AM

Oct 2012
bergil said:
vbyo said:
ainky said:

mhm I'm not sure of that one either, I read a manga that was sort of like the Siberian film also, where some old lady would torture school girls with needles and barb wire in the genitalia ... man it makes me sick to even think about it.

What Siberian film? If you mean Srpski Film it's got nothing to do with Siberia at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Serbian_Film -- EXPECT MESSED UP STUFF IF YOU WISH TO READ IT, IF NOT DO NOT OPEN IT / READ IT.

Don't tell me I didn't warn you, and bergil I was talking about an anime similiar to what happens in this (very F@$!ed up movie).
Apr 11, 2013 5:40 AM

May 2009
vbyo said:
bergil said:
vbyo said:
ainky said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Serbian_Film -- EXPECT MESSED UP STUFF IF YOU WISH TO READ IT, IF NOT DO NOT OPEN IT / READ IT.

Don't tell me I didn't warn you, and bergil I was talking about an anime similiar to what happens in this (very F@$!ed up movie).

So, it's got nothing to do with Siberia after all.
Apr 11, 2013 5:48 AM

Oct 2012
bergil said:
vbyo said:
bergil said:
vbyo said:
ainky said:

So, it's got nothing to do with Siberia after all.

I mean't serbian, all I was implying that there was a manga and I was agreeing with you that there was a manga off the top of my head that I cannot recall the name of that was very similar in plot to A Serbian film which is on topic of this thread as it's very messed up.

It's late and I wrote out Siberia by mistake instead of serbian.
Apr 11, 2013 6:00 AM

Jan 2013
Riiken said:
Shiki and School Days

Well I guess School Days is disturbing, it's disturbing because of how terrible it is.
'If people refuse to accept you, then I'll just accept you even more.'
Apr 11, 2013 6:31 AM

Oct 2012
ImprovedSupa said:
Riiken said:
Shiki and School Days

Well I guess School Days is disturbing, it's disturbing because of how terrible it is.

Precisely, nothing has made me so angry before lol.
Jul 14, 2013 12:11 AM
Apr 2013
Yes! School Days set up well and then became a tour de force of crappiness. Just when you thought it hit rock bottom it would continually go lower. It had none of what would compel you to keep reading Aku no Hana (manga, can't stand the way they animated it) and no redemptive qualities whatsoever.

I was infuriated and disgusted throughout--especially because I felt like I just wasted four hours of my life that I would never get back, lol.
Jul 14, 2013 1:02 AM

Apr 2013
ainky said:
17-sai?
Jul 14, 2013 1:17 AM

Jan 2013
Shingeki no Kyojin
Jul 14, 2013 1:31 AM

Nov 2012
Red_Keys said:
I'll second Shiki.

Thirding one of shiki ova is essence of violance.
Jul 14, 2013 1:35 AM

Apr 2013
Elfen Lied
Gunslinger Girl
Key the Metal Idol

Feb 22, 2020 3:57 PM

Dec 2008
hey guys, I had forgot about this. some time has passed.

Anyway I found that Oyasumi Punpun was what I was looking for, not a serbian movie/or chinese torture snuff films ahah. I also really enjoyed Haku no Hana manga, specially that open ending.

Anther interesting author I've been following more recently is Mochizuki, Minetao, check out his work. Chiikasobee manga is finally being translated.

to end this thread I'm leaving here the most disturbing OST song of all anime imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn0DUM3iWJE

Wish Tsuneo Imahori would do more stuff like this for new horror/psychological anime

Feb 23, 2020 8:37 AM

Jan 2020
I've read a manga or rather one shot about a girl who killed herself and well, it was a very graphical depiction of it. Can't remember the name though, sorry.

Guro isn't my thing at all so for me the majority of manga that fall under that category are what I consider really disturbing
Feb 23, 2020 10:29 AM

Dec 2019
Shiki,Shingeki No kyojin,Tokyo ghoul and Golden Kamuy there are others but they don't come to mind right now.
                                                         🖤   

Feb 23, 2020 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
gotta be 'ichi the killer' / 'koroshiya 1'. I don't even know what to say.
for one, it's gruesome. but it's not mindless violence, instead dealing with themes of psychoticism, organised crime, gangs, and other stuff, with a great plot set in the Mafia era. I wasn't sure I'd actually enjoy this sort of manga since I get bored easily, but goddamn this is a must read. I'm only up to volume 2, but if you can make it until this point then you'll be hooked for sure.
Feb 23, 2020 1:30 PM

Jul 2013
I recommend Gantz
Feb 21, 2021 9:17 PM

Dec 2008

Junko Furuta's story is deeply depressive and disturbing, jesus. Don't need to read that again for the rest of my life. RIP to her soul.

More topics from this board

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - Yesterday

25 by Donkunsan »»
18 minutes ago

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - Yesterday

6 by DMind »»
Today, 2:05 AM

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
Today, 1:02 AM

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

15 by r3v3l3v3l »»
Yesterday, 10:09 PM

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Yesterday

6 by Skuletor »»
Yesterday, 4:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.