Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 20, 2008 4:57 PM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Follows the manga greatly. We learn more about Misaka original and the clones and her situation. The end is O_O So let's get into some details shall we?

Like HoaRy said, the Schrödinger equation was very well explained by Komoe sensei and the chocolate part. I particularly like Komoe sensei's voice so I enjoyed this scene once again because Komoe sensei once again does not have enough screen time although she should have it just for her cuteness and certain maturity. Index had great facial expressions in this part as well.

The whole scene of Misaka Mikoto made me T_T really. It was very emotional from the time she saw herself as a kid for the first time discovering her ability to the time those nasty researchers decided to convince her that her power would be needed and could further research development of Accelerator.
In any case very good music during this scene and during the whole bridge scene in general

This really got me into the mood. Touma confronting Misaka with the truth at first was not easy until he showed the papers containing the elements to understand the whole situation that he found in that teddy bear. Misaka was sure shocked about it from the looks of her eyes.

It amounts to that Misaka would like to put an end to this experiment.This is due to the severe trauma she had when she saw her MISAKA sisters being slaughtered like pigs by Accelerator. The numbers are very scary for the necessary number to have Accelerator change into a level 6.

Touma is incredibly resistant!------------->Proof--> Mikoto's electrical rail gun attacks on Touma in the following order:
a------------->The first missed by some mm it was that close.
b------------->The second one got Touma and made him rolly rolly on the ground in, which I found him in great pain but not as much as I would expect him to react. So he may have a certain natural resistance.
c------------->The third time Touma still stands up and resists the electical attack but he seems to be further weakened and further more you can see the electricity going along to the rails of the bridge's structure.
d------------->The fourth attack just made Mikoto more angrier and ultimately EMO over her limit. Thus she discharges a huge amount of energy! This in turn fried much around her during that time on the bridge, somehow the cat survives.

Needless to see that Touma is one heck of a strong resistance person. Me and my friend went as further as assume that his whole body may be able to use the imagine breaker more than he has been told about his ability. However those are just speculations, it is yet to be seen his full potential of the imagine breaker. So Touma resist all of the blast including the mega huge one as the last.

I noticed that both times Mikoto hit Touma with her rail gun attacks she had regret and shaking within her hands. Her crying made me also sad with her. Mikoto truly has a very very very sad past! Wish there was someone to help her during those times.

Next episode it looks like Touma will fight against Accelerator! Finally I will see how the imagine breakers fairs against the vector change of Accelerator!

1.Misaka Mikoto KAWAIIIIII when she a small kid.
2.Poor Misaka crying. T_T that sucks!
3.Misaka's result of going EMO and that was quite something in power display.

slayer545-samaDec 21, 2008 1:42 AM
please report all angel999 duplicate accounts to the mods asap
Dec 20, 2008 5:46 PM

Jan 2008
So unless that cat has some godly powers that last blast should have made some fried cat considering it was standing closer to the rail gun than Toma
Dec 20, 2008 10:48 PM
Jul 2018
The bridge looked more like a Faraday cage after the final blow (but electricity came from inside and Touma got hit)

The teacher explained Schrödingers cat well :D
Dec 21, 2008 8:25 PM

May 2008
The reason that the cat is still alive is that it

a) Is God~meow(congrats to those who get the reference)[to make it even more blatant the keyword is "bodyheat"
b)the cat is the true user of Imagine breaker
c)touma protected the cat
d)the author forgot about it till after that scene and remembered later so added in that line after to keep people from thinking he was cruel enough to kill off a kitten
Dec 22, 2008 1:55 PM

Feb 2008
Again such a one-location episode. But it was nice.
HoaRy said:
... and confused me...
Dec 22, 2008 2:43 PM

Oct 2008
The insert song was nice to listen to, though. It's "Ame" by Kawada Mami that came with her latest single "PSI-missing".
Dec 22, 2008 2:48 PM

Jul 2008
I think I'm going to be seeing that bridge in my dreams tonight, seeing how we spent the entire episode on it. Still a decent episode though, got a ton more background information on Misaka and the Level 6 project.

I liked the teacher's Esper lesson; had a nice twist at the end.
Dec 22, 2008 3:34 PM

Jul 2008
slayer545-sama said:

Follows the manga greatly.

Don't care at all since it's based from the novel and not the manga.

Otherwise it was a good episode.
Dec 22, 2008 4:27 PM

Nov 2007
Pretty good episode, a little slow at times but still interesting enough. I'm surprised his right hand didn't nullify the 2nd shot though, but I guess in the end scene the fact that the cat is still alive is reason enough for her to believe that she held back?
Dec 22, 2008 4:34 PM

May 2007
I disagree. I thought this episode was stretched out entirely too long. Granted, all the episodes of this anime are stretched out more than needed, but it was the same freaking conversation for pretty much the entire second half of the show.

Well, either way. I want to see Touma and the white-haired dude in a fight.

Lol...isn't this show supposed to be about Index?
Dec 22, 2008 6:55 PM

Dec 2007
decent ep... though not quite as emotional as the manga. however, it might be different in the novel.

w00ts Touma vs Accelerator next week (hopefully)
Dec 22, 2008 7:01 PM

Jan 2007
vindemon64 said:
I disagree. I thought this episode was stretched out entirely too long. Granted, all the episodes of this anime are stretched out more than needed, but it was the same freaking conversation for pretty much the entire second half of the show.

Well, either way. I want to see Touma and the white-haired dude in a fight.

My thoughts exactly. The main reason why this show aint getting as high a score it should be from me.

The highlight of this episode for me was definitely the beginning when Komoe was explaining Schrödingers theory. As well as seeing loli Mikoto.
Dec 22, 2008 8:32 PM

Aug 2008
Huh, epic episode. If it were the first half of an episode. >.<

Touma 'died' too many times. The first time I though he had leveled up. Second time, meh. Third, it got old. But he was still gar.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Dec 22, 2008 8:48 PM

Nov 2007
Definitely follows the novel, and not the manga. Anyway, it's a good episode, but I do agree that it's been stretched way too long. Oh well, the fight between Touma and Accelerator will be happening anyway, so I hope it will be great.
Dec 22, 2008 9:10 PM

Nov 2008
Eternal_Blaze said:
Definitely follows the novel, and not the manga. Anyway, it's a good episode, but I do agree that it's been stretched way too long. Oh well, the fight between Touma and Accelerator will be happening anyway, so I hope it will be great.

Well of course it should follow the novel and that's great but the fact some of it follows also the manga is good too for those who read the manga. It follows some but not all.
Dec 23, 2008 12:49 AM

Aug 2007
Well Touma has definitely raised the flag this episode...now its time to walk through the path shonen! xD

Damn Mikoto is just too cute, great work with her character design JCStaff!
Dec 23, 2008 1:33 AM

Aug 2007
This anime is turning out to be like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece.

1 manga chapter= 1 anime episode

I'd rather read for 3-5 minutes than watch 20 minutes of the same information. I'm lowering my score for this anime.
Dec 23, 2008 2:13 AM

Dec 2007
I thought it was still a good episode, despite the fact that the scene with Mikoto took up the most part of the episode.
Dec 23, 2008 2:42 AM

Aug 2008
SaiaX777 said:
The reason that the cat is still alive is that it

a) Is God~meow(congrats to those who get the reference)[to make it even more blatant the keyword is "bodyheat"

Kami-sama desu ~nya.

Good episode, I like Mikoto a lot.
Dec 23, 2008 3:12 AM

Jul 2008
I feel like little was accomplished in this episode. The dude got shocked and is laying there on the bridge with hair that is straighter up then it was before.
Dec 23, 2008 4:07 AM

Mar 2008
If
SHInoSHIkamaru said:
This anime is turning out to be like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece.

1 manga chapter= 1 anime episode

I'd rather read for 3-5 minutes than watch 20 minutes of the same information. I'm lowering my score for this anime.

Lol what a closed minded person.

Anyways, if Touma fell for Misaka, that would be interesting ^_^
Dec 23, 2008 5:43 AM

Jul 2008
i think it was ok, the fight was awesome and they explain a lot of facts.

Dec 23, 2008 8:42 AM

Aug 2008
Really good episode, by now i'm already used to the stretching and slow phasing. Hooray for all that electricity!

*switching to high pitched voice* Next ep will be EPIC
Dec 23, 2008 10:10 AM
Mar 2008
De-JaY said:
HoaRy said:
... and confused me...

yeap ... the way Komoe sensei explained it is too complicated and confusing.

The point of Schrödinger's cat is just that the event (state) inside the box is unknown until someone took a peek to the inside of the box.

Of course this also can be related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle who tells that 'observation' changes the state of the object. So still we can't determine precisely what is the exact state of the object.

Still confused huh ... well, that's quantum mechanics. If someone tells you that he/she understand quantum mechanics, that means he/she does not understand quantum mechanics.

:-)
Dec 23, 2008 10:59 AM
Jul 2018
Richard Feynman said:
I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics.

Oh yeah and I will be writing my final exams in physics in a few weeks :D
Dec 23, 2008 11:33 AM

Aug 2008
Nonsense episode. Nonsense experiment, nonsense logic, nonsense fight.
Dec 23, 2008 12:14 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
leoneri said:
De-JaY said:
HoaRy said:
... and confused me...

The point of Schrödinger's cat is just that the event (state) inside the box is unknown until someone took a peek to the inside of the box.

Of course this also can be related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle who tells that 'observation' changes the state of the object. So still we can't determine precisely what is the exact state of the object.

Still confused huh ... well, that's quantum mechanics. If someone tells you that he/she understand quantum mechanics, that means he/she does not understand quantum mechanics.

The sensei is justifying the powers of the esper by saying that there are people who can influence the quantum states using their consciousness....which is not very probable according to modern physics because how do you make multiple observers agree? At one point, that "esper" theory must break down....unless you want to go to decoherence and many-world theory and other crazy stuffs like that....

People always think quantum physics is so "out there" but really it is not...Quantum physics is MUCH less "out there" compared to general relativity believe me....(that I've always had more trouble dealing with...because the math is somewhat more complicated)

It's messed up if you tie macroscopic phenomenon to quantum-scale phenomenon (that's exactly what the Schrodinger's thought experiment is trying to demontrate). Technically, quantum physics is really based on statistical physics...and linear algebra. If you are a math person, you will fully understand quantum mechanics in no time.

And yes, measurements do affect the state of the measured state. It's very nicely packaged with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle (which is really based on the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality principle from math applied on the inner product of two vectors (dot product) and then reexpressed in a simpler form using Hermitians) The inequality essentially comes from the probabilistic nature of measurements and states...

Anyway, Touma talks big, but doesn't even use his abilities decently. He's really pretty annoying...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 23, 2008 12:36 PM

Nov 2008
wakka9ca said:
leoneri said:
De-JaY said:
HoaRy said:
... and confused me...

The sensei is justifying the powers of the esper by saying that there are people who can influence the quantum states using their consciousness....which is not very probable according to modern physics because how do you make multiple observers agree? At one point, that "esper" theory must break down....unless you want to go to decoherence and many-world theory and other crazy stuffs like that....

People always think quantum physics is so "out there" but really it is not...Quantum physics is MUCH less "out there" compared to general relativity believe me....(that I've always had more trouble dealing with...because the math is somewhat more complicated)

It's messed up if you tie macroscopic phenomenon to quantum-scale phenomenon (that's exactly what the Schrodinger's thought experiment is trying to demontrate). Technically, quantum physics is really based on statistical physics...and linear algebra. If you are a math person, you will fully understand quantum mechanics in no time.

And yes, measurements do affect the state of the measured state. It's very nicely packaged with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle (which is really based on the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality principle from math applied on the inner product of two vectors (dot product) and then reexpressed in a simpler form using Hermitian) The inequality essentially comes from the probabilistic nature of measurements and states...

Anyway, Touma talks big, but doesn't even use his abilities decently. He's really pretty annoying...

Your stuff needed this for people who have time to understand it:

Interesting stuff some reference to it:

Quantum mechanics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_physics

Macrosopic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroscopic

Schroedinger:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrodinger

Heisenberg:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisenberg

Cauchy-Schwartz:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy-Schwartz

Origins of Hermitian:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Hermite
Dec 23, 2008 12:48 PM
Sep 2008
Needs moar Index. CANDY BALL VS. CHOCOLATE!

I think the episode could have been paced a little better, but, I guess I don't mind so much. It just builds up more to the inevitable Touma vs. Accelerator fight (can't wait).

I liked the way the B-side ("Ame") of the PSI-Missing single was put in.

By the way, did anyone notice that the animation when Biri-biri shot at Touma the third time (the second hit, where he's still standing) seems oddly familiar?

CatadioptricDec 23, 2008 12:53 PM
Dec 23, 2008 12:53 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
well, here's some wiki reference:

quantum state (physics):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_state

bra-ket notation (physics + lin.alg.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bra-ket_notation

linear operators (lin. alg.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_operator

If you want to try the math, this is a quick summary:
-ket are the states represented in vector forms (usually very special vectors are chosen for the job...)
-bra are the transposed complex conjugate vector of the bra
-bra-ket is a scalar function if combined with an operator (probability amplitude, which can give the probability density function when squared)
-ket-bra is a matrix operator
And have fun manipulating them and playing around :)
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 23, 2008 1:17 PM
Dec 2007
How slow, boring and talkative this episode could be? It was by far the worst of the series and one of the least logical and interesting in a long time. This episode alone made me want to drop the series, but I guess I'll watch the next ep just to be sure (and Mikoto was the last thing I thought could save this series... I was wrong).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Dec 23, 2008 1:30 PM

Nov 2008
wakka9ca said:
well, here's some wiki reference:

quantum state (physics):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_state

bra-ket notation (physics + lin.alg.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bra-ket_notation

linear operators (lin. alg.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_operator

If you want to try the math, this is a quick summary:
-ket are the states represented in vector forms (usually very special vectors are chosen for the job...)
-bra are the transposed complex conjugate vector of the bra
-bra-ket is a scalar function if combined with an operator (probability amplitude, which can give the probability density function when squared)
-ket-bra is a matrix operator
And have fun manipulating them and playing around :)

Cool! Cool!
Dec 23, 2008 1:40 PM

Aug 2008
Jacut said:
How slow, boring and talkative this episode could be? It was by far the worst of the series and one of the least logical and interesting in a long time. This episode alone made me want to drop the series, but I guess I'll watch the next ep just to be sure (and Mikoto was the last thing I thought could save this series... I was wrong).

Jacut...if only I could be as cutthroat as you...once I "commit" to a series, I can't seem to kick it to the curb no matter how badly it treats me...I guess I have the anime version of Battered Wives' Syndrome.
Dec 23, 2008 1:48 PM

Oct 2008
While i'm a pretty big fan of the series, it is indeed quite slow and it is a shame because (in my opinion) it wasn't like this earlier on to such a large degree. It does bring to mind the stereotypical vision of anime where the character takes an entire episode to pose himself for a kick and then you have to wait until the next episode to see the actual kick. It also seems to be getting worse, not better.

Also, why is this series even named index? She has pretty much disappeared from the anime other than a few seconds of her eating something each episode.
Dec 23, 2008 2:17 PM

Aug 2008
Just you wait, I'm sure that this experiment will somehow be tied to Index. Maybe the Board is after her. Maybe Accellerator is trying to be a level 6 because he wants to protect Index. Some corny banality will tie her in somehow.
Dec 23, 2008 7:00 PM

Oct 2007
Sigh this episode was waaaaay too expanded. Anyways I want to see Accelerator and Touma fight now. Touma was Gar though.

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." By Emiliano Zapata
Dec 23, 2008 7:24 PM

Jul 2008
mm when touma and accelerator fight,
does touma like, just dispell or actually fight back ? :O
*touma:haha you can't do **** to me i got the sexah hand,
*accelerator: you nab what else can you do?
*touma:ima ima...finger j00!

im serious guys o.o
Dec 23, 2008 9:28 PM

Jan 2008
Yay for going no where episode.
Dec 23, 2008 11:24 PM

Sep 2008
Too much talk and less action for this episode, sigh, the cat came unscratched, maybe Misaka went level 6 and didn't notice it IMO?
Dec 24, 2008 12:10 AM
Mar 2008
Lol nothing great but at least it had more Mikoto.
Dec 24, 2008 4:40 AM

May 2008
Episode reminded me of Dragon Ball z with the standing and talking.
Dec 24, 2008 10:52 AM

Mar 2008
Holy hell. Can we repeat the same bridge scene for 10 minutes? Please?
Dec 25, 2008 7:19 AM
Dec 2007
Celestz said:
Too much talk and less action for this episode, sigh, the cat came unscratched, maybe Misaka went level 6 and didn't notice it IMO?
If she even had the possibility of turning level 6 they wouldn't need more than a hundred Railguns like her to battle Accelerator (the reason they need 2000 sisters is because the Sisters are much weaker than the original). Though going from level 0 to level 5 must be quite a feat already.

Dec 25, 2008 9:15 PM

May 2008
opinion, they brought out the level 6 idea,
set up for touma to achieve level 6
amaze everyone
do it in a way non related to killing
typical anime
dont get me wrong though. i love this series :D
Dec 26, 2008 11:25 AM
Dec 2007
blizzarddog5 said:
opinion, they brought out the level 6 idea,
set up for touma to achieve level 6
amaze everyone
do it in a way non related to killing
typical anime
dont get me wrong though. i love this series :D
Even though they keep saying Touma is an Esper Level 0, Touma's ability is not Esper Related. It's actually likened more to The Creator's way of moderating the clash between all the different creatures (Magicians, Espers, Alchemists, etc).

Dec 27, 2008 7:39 AM

Jun 2008
What kind of ability is "vector change" ? Is it to change the direction of every moving object or what ?

BTW it doesn't look like Touma is going to get stronger - it seems to me that it will be something like "he'll beat bunch of guys just like the way he is now, with his right hand".
Dec 27, 2008 11:14 AM
Dec 2007
zerron said:
What kind of ability is "vector change" ? Is it to change the direction of every moving object or what ?

BTW it doesn't look like Touma is going to get stronger - it seems to me that it will be something like "he'll beat bunch of guys just like the way he is now, with his right hand".
I think by his explanation it sounds like he changes movement from one direction to exactly the opposite. Kinda like one of the laws of physics that states that for every force there's an equal opposite force. He basically replaces the original force with it's opposite. I don't exactly recall much of my Physics class, so forgive me if that's a very rough explanation.

As for Touma, for some reason I think he will eventually learn to manipulate his power beyond the extent of his arm. The hero always needs a power up, right? And that would be the most logical one.

Dec 27, 2008 3:36 PM

Sep 2007
wakka9ca said:

QFT. I'm tired of this guy always preaching about this and that and then comes up with "I have no alternate plan either".
Dec 27, 2008 3:44 PM

Jun 2008
Leon-Gun said:
zerron said:

I think by his explanation it sounds like he changes movement from one direction to exactly the opposite. Kinda like one of the laws of physics that states that for every force there's an equal opposite force. He basically replaces the original force with it's opposite. I don't exactly recall much of my Physics class, so forgive me if that's a very rough explanation.

As for Touma, for some reason I think he will eventually learn to manipulate his power beyond the extent of his arm. The hero always needs a power up, right? And that would be the most logical one.

That would mean that the changes in movement that he could do are limited - he can't move an object where he wants - only in direction of the opposite force, right ? For example, if there is a rock on the ground, he could only move it up in the air ...
Dec 27, 2008 9:27 PM
Dec 2007
zerron said:
Leon-Gun said:
zerron said:

That would mean that the changes in movement that he could do are limited - he can't move an object where he wants - only in direction of the opposite force, right ? For example, if there is a rock on the ground, he could only move it up in the air ...
Yes, that seems to be the case if you go by his explanation. Plus it needs to be in close range. He needed to touch her blood when he reversed the flow, for example. But if that's the case it explains why the default use is to reflect, since anything going in his direction basically gets sent back by his power. But I bet they will twist his power into doing things beyond what he says it can. Shonen is always like that after all, trying to make things seem flashy hoping it will make you forget the little details (like how the kitty should have been killed by the amount of energy Mikoto used to fry Touma).

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» So, Where is Index 4?

BerriesSan - Apr 14

2 by BerriesSan »»
Apr 15, 9:12 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cabaret - Mar 18, 2009

279 by R2Doucebag »»
Mar 27, 8:18 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

AkariChan - Feb 5, 2009

155 by 8iman »»
Jan 14, 3:53 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 29, 2008

205 by DebiPS »»
Jan 11, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Index - probably the most annoying character ever. ( 1 2 )

Rodaa - Jan 24, 2014

74 by Kayfee »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.