Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2013 5:38 PM

Mar 2011
I get a feeling that they only give good reviews for Aku no Hana, only because Aku no Hana is "different", not because it's actually good or has something worth to watch
You can't trust most of ANN's reviews
Apr 9, 2013 5:47 PM

Jul 2008
I usually like different and artsy type shows, so I thought I would give this a try based on ANN's reviews. Well, I don't quite see what they liked about it. The animation is a little off, which is I'm sure intentional but I'm not for sure the sketchiness adds to the maximum impact. I found myself appreciating the background art, writing, and music more. I really want to get more of a feel of the story/narrative though. It's too early to call it shit or a masterpiece in my opinion. I'll check out the next couple episodes and see what I think then.

I like the psychological vibes though. I don't know. I just don't get it yet. I'm just not getting those feelings I had with other shows like Suisei no Gargantia or Shingeki no Kyojin.
Apr 9, 2013 6:01 PM
Jan 2010
ANN being stuck-up bastards, what's different?
Apr 9, 2013 6:10 PM
Oct 2009
Doom1491 said:
i didnt read the manga and i am no Anime Hipster^^

I love the Art and the Start of this Story and i havent seen a Horror
Anime in a while which gave me this chills.

Yeah, it's not a horror though~

And sadly the director got his wish of controversy granted. *sigh* I feel betrayed as a viewer AND as a hater. lol.

But man that director guy sure loves to think he's all deep and misunderstood and stuff.
Apr 9, 2013 6:13 PM

Jan 2012
Suzie said:

Yeah, it's not a horror though~

And sadly the director got his wish of controversy granted. *sigh* I feel betrayed as a viewer AND as a hater. lol.

But man that director guy sure loves to think he's all deep and misunderstood and stuff.

I almost want to say 2deep4u... fuuu I couldn't help myself *_* It is hipster director of the century though. I can't help but forgive him for Mushishi though.
Apr 9, 2013 8:00 PM
Apr 2011
If Saeki gets a decent conclusion in the anime, I'll call Aku no Hana a masterpiece and give it a 5/5.
Apr 9, 2013 8:11 PM

Sep 2012
Wait I don't get it.

Do they get like some sort of prescreening or something? Isn't only one episode out? How can they call it a masterpiece with only seeing the first episode?
Apr 9, 2013 8:18 PM

Feb 2012
Based ANN: immune to Hate Hypes
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Apr 9, 2013 8:24 PM

Jun 2007
Nucksen said:

Immune to an education in writing and journalism too.
Apr 9, 2013 8:26 PM

May 2012
Red_Keys said:
Wait I don't get it.

Do they get like some sort of prescreening or something? Isn't only one episode out? How can they call it a masterpiece with only seeing the first episode?

Its probbaly the feeling, the vibes, either they are right or wrong, no big deal. Never trust any reviews thou, much less from "professionals", trust your instincts or better to get feedback and exchange opinions with fans.

As you get more experience you kind of "feel" it, you watch something and the whole experience you get is that it can become a masterpiece, of course, its too adventurous to call it with the first ep thou.

I can see where they are coming thou, I also feel that this could be very interesting, since the anime is trying to make its won totally different version who know, maybe a masterpiece, this definitely gives me the vibes, if they become true or not is another story, from the story alone I have my doubts about the masterpiece thing EXCEPT if they change the story somehow as the did the visual style.

That you have a capable director, acclaimed for the masterpiece Mushishi, it enhances the chances.
Apr 10, 2013 4:19 AM

Feb 2008
Red_Keys said:

Same like people calling it the biggest trainwreck and worst anime ever made.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 10, 2013 6:05 AM
Feb 2012
So many contradictions in Silverman's review. She seems lost. Those other two guys must have bribed her to write her opinions.
Apr 10, 2013 6:37 AM

Mar 2012
as if the ratings on this site are accurate

doubt this isn't the worst anime ever either
Apr 10, 2013 6:45 AM

Aug 2012
What the hell is anime news network and why do I care...
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 10, 2013 6:58 AM
Feb 2012
Ghostony said:
What the hell is anime news network and why do I care...

Fox News Anime Edition.

It's been said before in this thread.
Apr 10, 2013 7:00 AM

Jul 2011
KuRiZenT said:
They're just kidding I guess XD

giving 9 to deathnote says aku no hana being good it's a joke.

seems legit no?

seriously,watch more or less anime doesn't give you the rights to rate an anime in a way or another and pretend to have said the absolute(this is a general people talk),even more for anime and mangas like aku no hana,kaiji,akagi,i'm a hero etc...
to be honest,i think it's more about psycology,phyilosophy and sense of art.

it's pretty much obviious then that someone who watches only k-on animes would rate something like these bad and give to shit like, i dunno,horizon, great scores,right?
Apr 10, 2013 10:20 AM

Jun 2008
yunochi said:
they always review good anime with low score like they did with madoka, sao, guilty crown,,

They gave Madoka (the full series) a very good score.

SAO and Guilty Crown are shit.
Apr 10, 2013 12:09 PM

Nov 2011
Orsonius said:
Good read. Really gave me another push towards loving it even more.

I am really excited about the show.
I showed it to my friends who are not much into anime (one even doesn't like it).

They all liked it a lot and the one who said he doesn't wanna watch anime even considered watching it.
It just tells you that this is not just your generic show you get every season and that'S why I like it.

You are not alone! Loved it and proud :)) And also got a friend to watch it, who doesn't ever watch anime. So as a production, itself, it's definitely good, it just hit bad on the pure anime fans, who are mainly troubled by the animation.
Apr 10, 2013 1:37 PM

Jan 2012
The ones who hate it just because of unusual animation style are quite pathetic.
Apr 10, 2013 1:38 PM

Jun 2007
TimeTravel_0 said:
The ones who hate it just because of unusual animation style are quite pathetic.

The ones who love it just because of unusual animation style are quite pathetic.
Apr 10, 2013 1:57 PM

Oct 2010
I love how that Rebecca Silverman reviewer in ANN is basically saying she didn't like the episode, but gives it a masterpiece rating for the sake of hipsterism.

Other than that, it's fine and all.
Apr 10, 2013 2:08 PM

Nov 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
TimeTravel_0 said:

The ones who love it just because of unusual animation style are quite pathetic.

I doubt there was anyone so silly as to imply he/she likes it ONLY because of the animation. But checking the qq thread it seems most arguments against it revolve solely around "animatin sucks"
Apr 10, 2013 2:16 PM

Nov 2011
jal90 said:
I love how that Rebecca Silverman reviewer in ANN is basically saying she didn't like the episode, but gives it a masterpiece rating for the sake of hipsterism.

And what is wrong with that? If everyone would give perfect scores only to the anime they LOVE, we wouldn't have any OBJECTIVE critique.

On the other hand, I don't have anything against you so I don't want you to think I'm picking on you or anything. But don't you just find it absolutely amazingly stupid how crowds cry over and over when the new seasons comes raining of cliche animes... "omganother tipical romance/shounen/shojo/harem"? An when FINALLY something good, that isn't in any way TIPICAL comes, they cry again because it's either "hiped" or just too different to stomach, like Aku no Hana.
Apr 10, 2013 2:21 PM

Jun 2007
Morridine said:
jal90 said:

And what is wrong with that? If everyone would give perfect scores only to the anime they LOVE, we wouldn't have any OBJECTIVE critique.

On the other hand, I don't have anything against you so I don't want you to think I'm picking on you or anything. But don't you just find it absolutely amazingly stupid how crowds cry over and over when the new seasons comes raining of cliche animes... "omganother tipical romance/shounen/shojo/harem"? An when FINALLY something good, that isn't in any way TIPICAL comes, they cry again because it's either "hiped" or just too different to stomach, like Aku no Hana.

There are different anime every season, the only people who complain about "omganother typical romance/shounen/shoujo/harem" every season are retards who don't know SHIT about anime.

Also, saying something is a masterpiece WITHOUT EXPLAINING WHY aside "t-the art is different?" which is all she did, is NOT an objective review, nor a review at all. Claiming something is a masterpiece for no reason aside 'i-i-i-it did something different' is not objectivity nor a review, and it's not right either. Actually, I wrote a whole post on my blog about this *here* - but to put the relevant point for what I'm saying

me said:
Doing something “different” does not mean it’s automatically good. If I smeared my turds all over my truck and claimed it’s a new paint job – does it suddenly become a masterpiece just because it’s unusual and unique? NO – IT’S A CAR COVERED IN FECES.
TallonKarrde23Apr 10, 2013 2:34 PM
Apr 10, 2013 2:30 PM

Oct 2010
Morridine said:
jal90 said:

Oh, objectivity again.

In case being different and risky equals being better at any time, which I think is something not even the blatant objectivity defenders dare to defend. Mostly because that association of ideas doesn't make sense to start with.

In addition to this, and I'm not referring to your specific case either, if one thinks that praising this show means anything in the bigger picture that being an overall anime fan is, then I can only pity them. How this damn show has become an alternative measure of taste or been tied with an overall current of thought is pretty damn funny. There would be less absurd discussions if people didn't automatically assume that disliking this show means disliking experimentation and originality.
Apr 10, 2013 3:47 PM
Oct 2012
Sorry I missed this topic. Just goes to show that calling people who don't get it "stupid" is a sure fire way of getting the hipsters to like something.

Now I would say that Aku no Hana has potential to be interesting and maybe very good, however there was nothing in that 1st episode which would support any judgment of "masterpiece" or "best of the season". Shingeki and Seisui had better opening episodes (in terms of providing background and stories that promises to be interesting). Now it may be true that Aku is starting slow and may surpass these two shows soon, even by the second episode, but we have no way of knowing that merely from the first episode. Anything more than "could be interesting, lets see what happens" is mere projecting, say more about the hipster aspirations of the reviewers than anything about the show. This is what you get from wannabe critics. They confuse "different" with "great".

As for those who hated it, their standards are lower, and can condemn after the first episode. Animation after all is a visual medium, and as such for those who care primarily about the visuals, and less about the story, a judgment can be made within the first five minutes. For those who like the story more, judgment is still pending.
Apr 10, 2013 4:28 PM
Dec 2012
Since just one of 13 episodes was aired so far, it's too early to call it a masterpiece. That said, I think it holds potential to be a masterpiece despite some issues. There is no absolute criteria of masterpieces. And it doesn't need support from a majority to be called a masterpiece. For example, Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker, live-action film, is regarded as a masterpiece though the majority of people find it boring and they fall asleep. Also some paintings are considered masterpieces though they are not appealing to general viewers. Thus it can be taken as a masterpiece by some reviewers who have different standards. To me, the anime is experimental rather than great or perfect because their use of rotoscope has room for improvement. I don't know if it turns out a masterpiece, but it's controversial enough to go down in anime history to say the least.
Apr 10, 2013 6:47 PM

Jul 2008
1 episode reviews are hard to do, it is often difficult to tell how good a show is by one episode, anyone who says it is terrible after the first episode is obviously judging by it art a little too much.... You are throwing out all the story and everything. ANN is simply saying, Hey look this style they do matches the mood of the actual show. Creepy feeling show with creepy animation good match yes? They are not saying it is unique. If you feel the anime has poor art can you tell me it is actually poor or just not what you wanted? Whats poor about it? they look creepy? oh wait they are suppose too....
Apr 10, 2013 7:28 PM
Oct 2012
Mow123 said:
1 episode reviews are hard to do, it is often difficult to tell how good a show is by one episode, anyone who says it is terrible after the first episode is obviously judging by it art a little too much.... You are throwing out all the story and everything. ANN is simply saying, Hey look this style they do matches the mood of the actual show. Creepy feeling show with creepy animation good match yes? They are not saying it is unique. If you feel the anime has poor art can you tell me it is actually poor or just not what you wanted? Whats poor about it? they look creepy? oh wait they are suppose too....

While I will grant you that writing a one episode review is a bit difficult, what I and others are complaining about with the reviews for this episode is that it did not show anything that leads an impartial viewer to declare this a masterpiece. Its chief virtue is that it set the stage for what we hope will be a great story, however this story hasn't even started. Everything that everyone is praising is what they HOPE will be true, not what we have seen to be true. That is what I criticized earlier: their review reveals more about them then it does about the episode.

As for the art, to rehash several thousand postings: this art is not unique, it utilizes a technique called rotoscoping that has been used in other animations sometimes successfully (Disney's "Lady and the Tramp" in the US and "Apollo on the Slope" in Japan), more often unsuccessfully (the original Lord of the Rings). As a technique it is a style many people hate, some on principle (live action sketched over isn't animation) and others on results (far less fluid than pure animation, giving that herky-jerky movement).

I am somewhat willing to give the technique a pass now. If the story is strong enough I will be satisfied, but even saying this, rotoscoping does annoy me. I find it disruptive, and contemplating 13 episodes of it makes me a bit nauseous. If the story pans out, I can overcome my annoyance, but it is like starting with 2 outs and 2 strikes and hoping to score a run: possible, but you have needlessly boxed yourself into a corner. If the show becomes a masterpiece it will be in spite of, not because of, the rotoscoping.
Apr 10, 2013 7:32 PM

Dec 2009
It makes no sense to me how people are both calling it a masterpiece and the worst anime in existence considering only one episode has been aired thus far.
Apr 10, 2013 7:41 PM

Mar 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
While I will grant you that writing a one episode review is a bit difficult, what I and others are complaining about with the reviews for this episode is that it did not show anything that leads an impartial viewer to declare this a masterpiece.
Your complaint isn't grounded in reality. What is your definition of an "impartial" viewer?

TallonKarrde23 said:
Nucksen said:
Immune to an education in writing and journalism too.
I've never read anything on ANN other than news, but this made me laugh anyway.
JoshApr 10, 2013 7:45 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 10, 2013 7:43 PM

Jan 2012
ANN is shit, big surprise.
Apr 10, 2013 7:57 PM
Oct 2012
Araby said:
Takuan_Soho said:
While I will grant you that writing a one episode review is a bit difficult, what I and others are complaining about with the reviews for this episode is that it did not show anything that leads an impartial viewer to declare this a masterpiece.
Your complaint isn't grounded in reality. What is your definition of an "impartial" viewer?

Someone who just sat down and watched this episode with no expectations, who hadn't even known the manga existed, and who had no pre-existing opinions about what to expect.

Show me that person (he said jumping up and down with his hand raised), and that would be an impartial person for this animation.

So those who hate the character designs because the manga was different, not impartial. Those who are looking forward to the story because they know what to expect, not impartial. Those whose entire opinion is based solely on what they have seen: impartial.

Now that said, what exactly in this episode would lead an impartial viewer to declare this a masterpiece? Were the characters well defined? Hardly, the protagonist is the stereotypical, no one understands me as a sensitive person, male lead, the two female characters appears to be the "pretty girl", the other the "bad girl", and we already know that he likes the cute one , but will be pulled in by the other one. That theme has been done to death.

Likewise with the art. It is interesting and does suit the first episode, but it is a gimmick and gimmicks without substance die out very quickly.

What was good about the episode was the mood it created, but the Japanese are extremely good at creating creepy moods: other horror movies have done better, so again what makes this special?

Now I am keeping an open mind, the first episode will get me to watch the second episode, but half the animations every cour manage that feat. Because good first episodes aren't that hard, its the second and third episodes that are hard. So again, why is this special?

People who declare "what do you know everything is subjective" are idiots. Objective arguments are not only possible but relatively easy: it just requires a little knowledge, tolerance, and imagination.

So let's discuss this objectively. What scene, what line, what anything in this episode would lead to think that this is a masterpiece?
Takuan_SohoApr 10, 2013 8:45 PM
Apr 10, 2013 8:00 PM

Sep 2009
What kind of idiot claims something so definite out with just one aired episode?
Apr 10, 2013 8:13 PM

May 2012
LordLagann said:
What kind of idiot claims something so definite out with just one aired episode?

I have a very good idea who.... .... ....
Apr 10, 2013 8:17 PM

Oct 2012
In Post #86 Takuan_soho wrote:
Now that said, what exactly in this episode would lead an impartial
viewer to declare this a masterpiece?

Aku no Hana has resulted in nearly 2000 MAL posts based on Episode 1 alone.

As far as I know, that is far more than for Episode 1 of any other anime. I did
ask people to find some other examples, and nobody found any.

This is an objective, quantified fact.

When you have a work that is so, so, so controversial, there is a good chance
that, at some point in the future, people are going to look back on it as an
example of something praiseworthy.

Look at Baudelaire's book "Les Fleurs du Mal". It was a similar thing. The
majority of literary critics in Paris condemned it as the worst garbage. It
had just a few fans. Now, nobody will question that it is a classic.

One year, two years, three years from now, people are still going to
remember AnH. Perhaps they will remember it as a failed experiment.
Perhaps they will view it as a pretentious attempt to attract attention by
insulting people. However, a lot of people (including me) are watching
this episode multiple times and noticing things and not getting bored.

I can see potential in this technique even if they are doing it in a clearly
imperfect way. There is something lively and engaging about it.

I see this as the cutting edge of "anime noire". Japan is suddenly changing.
Look at their news in the past two years. Look at their news in the
past month. Their artistic aesthetic is likely to be evolving too. I am just
guessing that their mood is going to be altering and that they are no
longer going to be so excited to see a brand-new anime series that is
pretty much along the lines of the (great) stuff that they have been seeing
since techniques improved in about 2006.
okanaganApr 10, 2013 8:23 PM
Apr 10, 2013 8:28 PM

Apr 2011
I love how angry some of you have gotten about this show. It's hilarious how close minded some people are, but without you the internet would be a boring place.
Apr 10, 2013 8:31 PM

Apr 2008
So... other than the "eccentric" visuals (subjective, btw), what's else is bad about it?
Apr 10, 2013 8:35 PM

Apr 2011
Nakamura all ugly and shit brah, in the manga she was all moe' moe'. It's totally all slow and shit too, and they don't even show close up of the vajayjay when they're playing volleyball. Complete an utter shit.
Apr 10, 2013 8:36 PM

May 2012
okanagan said:

Look at their news in the past two years. Look at their news in the
past month. Their artistic aesthetic is likely to be evolving too. I am just
guessing that their mood is going to be altering and that they are no
longer going to be so excited to see a brand-new anime series that is
pretty much along the lines of the (great) stuff that they have been seeing
since techniques improved in about 2006.

I agree tot that we are starting to see some changes in anime, iff little yet, seems like like its still on the "testing waters" stage, I pretty much want to see new art style standards (I would love to revet back to more realistic style) and more varied stories (more mature, psychological would be much welcomed by me) and interesting executions.
Apr 10, 2013 8:45 PM

Jun 2007
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:
I love how angry some of you have gotten about this show. It's hilarious how close minded some people are, but without you the internet would be a boring place.

Being close minded has nothing to do with the fact that ANN has an objectively piss poor writing team who, whether you agree with their views or not, did a horrible job of previewing this show.

Journalism is not saying "I like dis , iz reallll good :))))" - it's giving your view along with explaining in detail why that is how you feel. "They used rotoscoping" is not an explanation for why they believe this is a masterpiece, yet it's literally the only thing they said. You could put all 3 posts into one line: "This is a masterpiece because it used rotoscoping instead of more common techniques." That isn't a review, a preview, or even a fucking opinion - it's just a line saying ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I love how angry you've gotten over liking this show that you had to make a very uninteresting, poorly written, half-assed sarcastic jab at people who don't like it. I also love how not liking something makes you close minded, in your ironically closed mind.

Son, I've seen almost 3 times as much anime as you - and from every single style and genre you can fucking imagine. That wouldn't be the case if I was close minded, but judging from your favorites, you actually fall into that category - everything is pretentious, grimdark, "DEEP" stuff. Your avatar, your hipster-esque name, and every image in your bio also lends to that possibility.

Ignoring even all of that, the fact you think someone not liking what you like is close-minded is pretty heavy evidence showing that YOU are close minded in thinking that everyone should like what you like - showing you're unwilling to accept that your opinions are not something everyone agrees with, because if they don't you somehow view them as lesser men for it.

You can't really claim people are close minded for not liking this, especially not when your entire existence makes you look ten times worse in that area, let alone your post even all by itself. I don't like cocks because I'm not gay, it's got nothing to do with being close minded and all to do with my tastes, you're basically saying NOT being gay means you're a close minded fool. The same thing applies here. People don't like the rotoscoped art because it simply doesn't look good to them - this doesn't make them close-minded. However, saying they must be close minded for not liking what you like is extremely so.

If you want to keep acting like a jackass, at least stop shooting yourself in the foot.
TallonKarrde23Apr 10, 2013 8:50 PM
Apr 10, 2013 8:48 PM

Nov 2010
The widespread controversy, well, who knows, the show could very well break into mainstream reportage and invite commentary from all corners, asking why would a show with its first episode has provoked debate and vitriol from an audience whose complacency has been shattered with merely the character designs.

The last time this kind of phenomenon happened, it was more than two years ago when Madoka's third episode suddenly caused a stir.
I play, the haters lose.
Apr 10, 2013 8:58 PM

Apr 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:

Being close minded has nothing to do with the fact that ANN has an objectively piss poor writing team who, whether you agree with their views or not, did a horrible job of previewing this show.

Journalism is not saying "I like dis , iz reallll good :))))" - it's giving your view along with explaining in detail why that is how you feel. "They used rotoscoping" is not an explanation for why they believe this is a masterpiece, yet it's literally the only thing they said. You could put all 3 posts into one line: "This is a masterpiece because it used rotoscoping instead of more common techniques." That isn't a review, a preview, or even a fucking opinion - it's just a line saying ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I love how angry you've gotten over liking this show that you had to make a very uninteresting, poorly written, half-assed sarcastic jab at people who don't like it. I also love how not liking something makes you close minded, in your ironically closed mind.

Son, I've seen almost 3 times as much anime as you - and from every single style and genre you can fucking imagine. That wouldn't be the case if I was close minded, but judging from your favorites, you actually fall into that category - everything is pretentious, grimdark, "DEEP" stuff. Your avatar, your hipster-esque name, and every image in your bio also lends to that possibility.

Ignoring even all of that, the fact you think someone not liking what you like is close-minded is pretty heavy evidence showing that YOU are close minded in thinking that everyone should like what you like - showing you're unwilling to accept that your opinions are not something everyone agrees with, because if they don't you somehow view them as lesser men for it.

You can't really claim people are close minded for not liking this, especially not when your entire existence makes you look ten times worse in that area, let alone your post even all by itself. I don't like cocks because I'm not gay, it's got nothing to do with being close minded and all to do with my tastes, you're basically saying NOT being gay means you're a close minded fool. The same thing applies here. People don't like the rotoscoped art because it simply doesn't look good to them - this doesn't make them close-minded. However, saying they must be close minded for not liking what you like is extremely so.

If you want to keep acting like a jackass, at least stop shooting yourself in the foot.

You need to relax, being so pissed off all the time can't be good for your heart. I'm not even going to bother trying to reason with you, cause you're clearly one of those people who only hears what they want to.
Apr 10, 2013 9:00 PM

Jun 2007
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:
You need to relax, being so pissed off all the time can't be good for your heart. I'm not even going to bother trying to reason with you, cause you're clearly one of those people who only hears what they want to.

It's okay that you can't actually counter anything I said, don't worry, I won't call you out for-oh wait. You assume anyone who doesn't like your opinion is close minded and now you think anyone who posts an actual reply to you is pissed off...sounds like someone is projecting doubly!
Apr 10, 2013 9:01 PM

Oct 2012
See Post 95 from soulassassin547

Here is lots of specific information about Madoka Episode 3:

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Madoka_Magica_Episode_3:_I%27m_Not_Afraid_of_Anything_Anymore

Yes, there was a bit of fan controversy. But it seems that it was based pretty
much on a minor animation continuity error. There were 490 posts on
Episode 3 of Madoka on MAL, which was more than for typical episodes.
So clearly the mistakes generated some discussion among fans. It also
inspired some interesting fan-art, which you can find via the link that I
mentioned just above.
okanaganApr 10, 2013 9:07 PM
Apr 10, 2013 9:10 PM

Apr 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:

It's okay that you can't actually counter anything I said, don't worry, I won't call you out for-oh wait. You assume anyone who doesn't like your opinion is close minded and now you think anyone who posts an actual reply to you is pissed off...sounds like someone is projecting doubly!

It's not that I can't it's that I really don't care enough to try and argue with another dime a dozen hot head on the internet. You can't win in an argument with someone who has some twisted logic and refuses to ever back down. I never said that there was anything wrong with not liking the adaptation of Aku no Hana, people are allowed to think whatever they want. What I meant by close minded is the people here who were attacking the opinions of the ANN writers just because they don't agree with them(something you accused me of oddly enough). You were right about one thing though. "I don't like cocks because I'm not gay, it's got nothing to do with being close minded and all to do with my tastes, you're basically saying NOT being gay means you're a close minded fool.". That is EXACTLY what I was trying to say, at least we can agree on something :P
Apr 10, 2013 9:10 PM

Jan 2012
soulassassin547 said:
The last time this kind of phenomenon happened, it was more than two years ago when Madoka's third episode suddenly caused a stir.
Are the japs reacting as strongly to this as "we" are? Because there were multiple episodes of minor events which caused a similiar shitstorm in the west (Shinsekai yori's attempt at yaoi for a recent example) but haven't been gaining a similar amount of attention in japan. I could very much imagine this to be another case like that, I definitely wouldn't compare it to the reactions Madoka got out of people (so far).

Also, okanagan, I hate you a bit for linking that page. I just finished rewatching Madoka not even 48hours ago, the wounds are still fresh, I actually teared up while reading the article ;_;
Apr 10, 2013 9:13 PM

Oct 2012
Also, okanagan, I hate you a bit for linking that page.

My apologies for pouring salt on your wounds ! :)

Just now I see that Madoka is #1 on your list of favorite anime !

The good news is that they fixed up the errors when they released the Blu-ray.
Apr 10, 2013 9:19 PM
Oct 2012
okanagan said:
Aku no Hana has resulted in nearly 2000 MAL posts based on Episode 1 alone. As far as I know, that is far more than for Episode 1 of any other anime. I did ask people to find some other examples, and nobody found any. This is an objective, quantified fact.

And Kim Kardashian is the most popular star in the US. Fame, notoriety or controversy does not signify anything other than fame, notoriety or controversy. Based on this criteria you might as well claim that Liberace was the greatest pianist of all time.

okanagan said:
When you have a work that is so, so, so controversial, there is a good chance
that, at some point in the future, people are going to look back on it as an example of something praiseworthy. Look at Baudelaire's book "Les Fleurs du Mal". It was a similar thing. The majority of literary critics in Paris condemned it as the worst garbage. It had just a few fans. Now, nobody will question that it is a classic.

Not really, there have been plenty of controversial works that have died out, just as there have been ridiculously popular works that have died out. You don't know of those things unless you have studied the popular culture of a particular era because, well they have died out. Controversy doesn't make something good, otherwise Madonna (remember her?) would be the greatest artist of all time. Indeed, I would suggest taking anything declared to be controversial from the late 19th/ early 20th century with a grain of salt: the romantic movement thrived on pretending their art was controversial (the producer for "Rite of Spring" is suspected with good evidence at having staged that infamous "riot"). You see a similar habit today: every scientific discovery is hawked as "revolutionary" or "rewrites everything we knew about everything," but most of those discoveries fade out over time.

okanagan said:
One year, two years, three years from now, people are still going to remember AnH. Perhaps they will remember it as a failed experiment. Perhaps they will view it as a pretentious attempt to attract attention by insulting people. However, a lot of people (including me) are watching
this episode multiple times and noticing things and not getting bored.

Why? As I pointed out above "rotoscoping" is not revolutionary. It was invented in 1915 and is one of the original methods of animation. If you want to claim that AnH is revolutionary based solely on its art style, then the original 1978 Lord of the Rings is a classic. As for the story, I never claimed it was boring. But did you really find it riveting. I found it interesting enough to watch the second episode when it came out, but that is about it. Tell me what you are finding so fascinating about the episode.

okanagan said:
I can see potential in this technique even if they are doing it in a clearly

Sure, the potential has been realized. It's called live action.

okanagan said:
imperfect way. There is something lively and engaging about it.

We will see if you feel the same way after 4 episodes. If this was a miniseries or a movie, I have no issues with rotoscoping, but lets see if you think the same after the novelty wears off.

okanagan said:
Look at their news in the past two years. Look at their news in the past month. Their artistic aesthetic is likely to be evolving too. I am just guessing that their mood is going to be altering and that they are no longer going to be so excited to see a brand-new anime series that is pretty much along the lines of the (great) stuff that they have been seeing since techniques improved in about 2006.

What in the first episode leads you to think that this is "noire"? This technique is not new, its as old as dirt. Hell even DISNEY used it (though to its credit this was back when disney was good). It was used better in a series just 6 months ago (to critical acclaim). It has become a mantra on this thread but "different" doesn't make something good. Particularly when it isn't even that different.
Apr 10, 2013 9:32 PM

Sep 2012
@Takuan_Soho,

I have had a great time reading all the posts by you in this thread. I find myself agreeing with you in every way, particularly that the episode is ok, where there is nothing that points to it being a masterpiece, and if it succeeds it would be despite the rotoscoping not because of it.

bNq said:
soulassassin547 said:
Are the japs reacting as strongly to this as "we" are? Because there were multiple episodes of minor events which caused a similiar shitstorm in the west (Shinsekai yori's attempt at yaoi for a recent example) but haven't been gaining a similar amount of attention in japan. I could very much imagine this to be another case like that, I definitely wouldn't compare it to the reactions Madoka got out of people (so far).
I hope you are not trying to act like a racist here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

Anyway, the case with Madoka's ep.3 is VERY DIFFERENT from what happens here. In terms of surprise and shattering complacency, yes, but in terms of vitriol or rage Madoka was never like Aku no Hana. The Madoka's case is more like astonishment at the revelation of the true theme of the show and very soon most people got adjusted to it and found it a very creative move. In Aku no Hana's case rejection, disillusionment and disappointment reign and the vitriol level much much higher (although even at this level, it is still not as ugly as real scandals like in Kokoro Connect or Sakuraso). So I don't agree with soulassassin547 that they are comparable. As for Shinseaki Yori, the reactions in the west were much worse than in Japan, which I find intriguing: Even though many fans in the west said they want mature contents and they don't like anime for having so little of it, but when they actually faced real mature contents they freak out because of their own prejudices (and some of them even denied harboring such prejudices when they trashed the episode).
symbvApr 10, 2013 9:57 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

324 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

118 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.