Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Apr 23, 2013 12:58 AM

Riunite said:
Aku no Hana does a great job at being good for pretentious, hipster, and pseudo-intelligent people.

I hate it when people indiscriminately generalize other people just because someone likes what they don't.

Apr 23, 2013 4:05 AM

zetsuboSensei said:
Riunite said:
Aku no Hana does a great job at being good for pretentious, hipster, and pseudo-intelligent people.

I hate it when people indiscriminately generalize other people just because someone likes what they don't.

Tell that to the people who called most people that disliked Aku no Hana (for whatever reason) Moetards.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/

Apr 23, 2013 5:58 AM
Riunite said:

This post wins the Internet.

kaimax said:
zetsuboSensei said:
Riunite said:

Tell that to the people who called most people that disliked Aku no Hana (for whatever reason) Moetards.

I resemble that remark. Screw you ANH fanbase and bandwagonners.

Apr 23, 2013 9:54 AM

kaimax said:
zetsuboSensei said:
Riunite said:

When most of the hate comes from ignorant, uninformed people who look at the 'ugly pictures' and judge the show's merit solely on that, is it any surprise that they get called out for it? All they see is how ugly the characters look, and join the "this show sucks" bandwagon, without having seen a single episode.

The ironic thing is, a lot of them hate it when a show is more of the same old, same old, but when something different and highly experimental comes along, they do a full 180 and actually want what they claim to hate so much. As if they can't make up their minds.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 23, 2013 10:27 AM

AO968 said:
kaimax said:
zetsuboSensei said:
Riunite said:

When most of the hate comes from ignorant, uninformed people who look at the 'ugly pictures' and judge the show's merit solely on that, is it any surprise that they get called out for it? All they see is how ugly the characters look, and join the "this show sucks" bandwagon, without having seen a single episode.

The ironic thing is, a lot of them hate it when a show is more of the same old, same old, but when something different and highly experimental comes along, they do a full 180 and actually want what they claim to hate so much. As if they can't make up their minds.
As much as I think the art is ugly, cheap (which in fact, it is), and horribly done rotoscoping (which again, it is, in fact), that's not the main reason why I think it's bad, really.

Also, I like how Rebecca pretty much says "I didn't like it and you can't judge this anime by the first episode, but I'm still gonna call it a masterpiece!!"

Hahaha, okay then.

Apr 23, 2013 10:36 AM

Riunite said:
Also, I like how Rebecca pretty much says "I didn't like it and you can't judge this anime by the first episode, but I'm still gonna call it a masterpiece!!"

Hahaha, okay then.
It really isn't that strange among professional reviewers, and it isn't a dishonest position either. There are plenty of movies and books that I would consider to be masterpieces while at the same time not enjoying them.

Apr 23, 2013 10:57 AM

Gizaru said:
Riunite said:

Hahaha, okay then.
It really isn't that strange among professional reviewers, and it isn't a dishonest position either. There are plenty of movies and books that I would consider to be masterpieces while at the same time not enjoying them.
Aku no Hana, both anime and manga, are very far from being a masterpiece.

There are so many flaws, I wonder if they're being ignored on purpose (?)

Apr 23, 2013 12:24 PM
AO968 said:

I still don't understand how people can say the show looks ugly. The scenery is especially beautiful and the characters just look like regular people. So when people say the show is ugly, are they saying that the actors who are rotoscoped are ugly (because if so, that's really shallow and just plain rude). Or is it the coloring that people don't like? One thing I find especially amazing is how you can forget you're watching an animated show. And the closeups of the eyes are really well done. I don't think there is anything visually ugly about this show.
Modified by Disapparate, Apr 23, 2013 12:28 PM

Apr 23, 2013 12:26 PM
AO968 said:
kaimax said:
zetsuboSensei said:
Riunite said:

>implying legit reasons for disliking AnH come from ignorant, unintelligent people.

Riunite said:
AO968 said:
kaimax said:
zetsuboSensei said:
Riunite said:

As much as I think the art is ugly, cheap (which in fact, it is), and horribly done rotoscoping (which again, it is, in fact), that's not the main reason why I think it's bad, really.

Hahaha, okay then.

Yeah, tried that before. Too bad I got shrouded in petty rationalization after I said the plot and characters were the main reason why I dislike this anime so much.

Riunite said:
Gizaru said:
Riunite said:

Hahaha, okay then.
Aku no Hana, both anime and manga, are very far from being a masterpiece.

There are so many flaws, I wonder if they're being ignored on purpose (?)

Right. Which is why we're also wrong for thinking there are flaws when our tastes are inferior. I love MAL, full of it's rival site's disciples in ANN. Sad.

Apr 23, 2013 12:30 PM

nerdsonfire1 said:
AO968 said:

I still don't understand how people can say the show looks ugly. The scenery is especially beautiful and the characters just look like regular people. So when people say the show is ugly, are they saying that the actors who are rotoscoped are ugly (because if so, that's really shallow and just plain rude). Or is it coloring that people don't like? One thing I find especially amazing is how you can forget you're watching an animated show. And the closeups of the eyes are really well done. I don't think there is anything visually ugly about this show.

"the characters just look like regular people. "
Please explain the older lady with facial hair, man with that weird girl hair during class, and all the middleschoolers looking like 100% adults.
Not even Evangelion or Minami-ke had such issue with drawing proper ages.

Apr 23, 2013 12:31 PM
HikikomoriGamer said:
nerdsonfire1 said:
AO968 said:

I still don't understand how people can say the show looks ugly. The scenery is especially beautiful and the characters just look like regular people. So when people say the show is ugly, are they saying that the actors who are rotoscoped are ugly (because if so, that's really shallow and just plain rude). Or is it coloring that people don't like? One thing I find especially amazing is how you can forget you're watching an animated show. And the closeups of the eyes are really well done. I don't think there is anything visually ugly about this show.

Please explain the older lady with facial hair, man with that weird girl hair during class, and all the middleschoolers looking like 100% adults.

Yeah, as if I have to like that.
Riunite said:

Apr 23, 2013 12:40 PM

HikikomoriGamer said:

To be fair they are minor characters who have been shown on screen collectively for probably less than 10 seconds. I personally did find both of them hilarious though, the cross-dressing classmate makes me giggle every time. The looking older thing is probably to soften the blow of the scenes to come plus the library scene in the last episode. I think they moved them up to high school for the anime also, probably because of how the models looked rotoscoped.

Koromo_Toshinou said:
Riunite said:

Rather than letting this degrade into an e-peen slapping contest lets at least try to keep things constructive. This is all based on opinions, so there is no right and wrong here.
Modified by ReasonDesu, Apr 23, 2013 12:43 PM

Apr 23, 2013 12:41 PM

ReasonDesu said:
HikikomoriGamer said:

To be fair they are minor characters who have been shown on screen collectively for probably less than 10 seconds. I personally did find both of them hilarious though, the cross-dressing classmate makes me giggle every time.

Koromo_Toshinou said:
Riunite said:

Rather than letting this degrade into an e-peen slapping contest lets at least try to keep things constructive. This is all based on opinions, so there is no right and wrong here.

"and all the middleschoolers looking like 100% adults."
That means the main character and his love triangle.

Apr 23, 2013 12:45 PM

HikikomoriGamer said:

Well it is a rotoscope and the models are adults what did you expect? I just edited that into my earlier post. They could easily pass as high school kids of like 16-18+ though

Apr 23, 2013 12:48 PM
HikikomoriGamer said:
ReasonDesu said:
HikikomoriGamer said:

To be fair they are minor characters who have been shown on screen collectively for probably less than 10 seconds. I personally did find both of them hilarious though, the cross-dressing classmate makes me giggle every time.

Koromo_Toshinou said:
Riunite said:

<ANN> this is so different omg we must enjoy it lolololololol
<ANN> we must tell every last anime fan in the west that this is THE anime of the 21st century lolololololololol
<People who are rightfully disturbed by what AnH has> Fuck this shit.
<People who take great offense to the previous people> YOURE MISSING OUT YOURE WRONG MOETARDS

Apr 23, 2013 12:52 PM

Koromo_Toshinou said:

<ANN> we must tell every last anime fan in the west that this is THE anime of the 21st century lolololololololol
<People who take great offense to the previous people> YOURE MISSING OUT YOURE WRONG MOETARDS

Way to ignore my request to be constructive. It's this kind of narrow minded attitude that stifles any decent discussion here.

Like anyone listens to ANN's reviews anyway, I didn't even know they did them.

Apr 23, 2013 1:08 PM

ReasonDesu said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:

Way to ignore my request to be constructive. It's this kind of narrow minded attitude that stifles any decent discussion here.

I did not know about them myself, untill last night. They are, as I thought, in Funimation's pocket and dislike anime as a whole. What a weird existance, but that's a whole different discussion.

I honestly dislike Aku no Hana's story, due to the manga, and the anime has even more issues on top of having the same story. While I am tired of writting out why I find Aku no Hana's adaption is repulsive not only artisticly, since all I usually get is "lol its meant to be deep" or "it improved the atmosphere, try to look at it from analytically point of view", I will stick around to make tiny jabs at it and have smaller, less "subjective" discussions on the show. Doubt alot of people defending this show will still defend it after the last episode airs, especially since the manga makes fun of 99% of the current Aku no Hana anime fan base.

Apr 23, 2013 1:20 PM

HikikomoriGamer said:

I did not know about them myself, untill last night. They are, as I thought, in Funimation's pocket and dislike anime as a whole. What a weird existance, but that's a whole different discussion.

I honestly dislike Aku no Hana's story, due to the manga, and the anime has even more issues on top of having the same story. While I am tired of writting out why I find Aku no Hana's adaption is repulsive not only artisticly, since all I usually get is "lol its meant to be deep" or "it improved the atmosphere, try to look at it from analytically point of view", I will stick around to make tiny jabs at it and have smaller, less "subjective" discussions on the show. Doubt alot of people defending this show will still defend it after the last episode airs, especially since the manga makes fun of 99% of the current Aku no Hana anime fan base.

Oh wow are they really under the FUNimation banner. Well I give them even less credibility if so :P

Yeah I can understand why a lot of people dislike this. A few of my friends were disgusted by the characters and story. Even I am not enjoying it in the normal way I enjoy shows, it's a rather masochistic pleasure as far as the story goes so far (I haven't read the manga). Very creepy, it's almost palpable, they did a good job with that IMO.

I do really like the art style though, it feels like watching live action kinda and I've never watched a rotoscoped series before so it's pretty sweet to have a change. The backgrounds and main characters have been done really well too, the emotion in the eyes and faces is amazing. The book store in episode 3 was absolutely beautiful too.

Apr 23, 2013 1:31 PM

ReasonDesu said:
HikikomoriGamer said:

Oh wow are they really under the FUNimation banner. Well I give them even less credibility if so :P

Yeah I can understand why a lot of people dislike this. A few of my friends were disgusted by the characters and story. Even I am not enjoying it in the normal way I enjoy shows, it's a rather masochistic pleasure as far as the story goes so far (I haven't read the manga). Very creepy, it's almost palpable, they did a good job with that IMO.

I do really like the art style though, it feels like watching live action kinda and I've never watched a rotoscoped series before so it's pretty sweet to have a change. The backgrounds and main characters have been done really well too, the emotion in the eyes and faces is amazing. The book store in episode 3 was absolutely beautiful too.

I don't mind the art style as much as I mind how lazily the whole thing is drawn, and how low the FPS is. The backrounds are weirdly nice, though I can't argue for main characters being well drawn after watching episodes 2 and 3. Doubt you'd get all this hatred and love for the show if it were live-action, probably just some people who either did or did not enjoy it calmly discussing it before everyone forgot about it. Though with the author's case, he did exactly what would cause a contraversy and make it memorable for a good amount of time to boost his manga sales, since even bad publicity is said to be a good publicity.

Well I won't spoil anything from the manga, but the story will get back on generic track despite initial appearances. Sorry to say this.

Apr 23, 2013 1:42 PM

HikikomoriGamer said:

I don't mind the art style as much as I mind how lazily the whole thing is drawn, and how low the FPS is. The backrounds are weirdly nice, though I can't argue for main characters being well drawn after watching episodes 2 and 3. Doubt you'd get all this hatred and love for the show if it were live-action, probably just some people who either did or did not enjoy it calmly discussing it before everyone forgot about it. Though with the author's case, he did exactly what would cause a contraversy and make it memorable for a good amount of time to boost his manga sales, since even bad publicity is said to be a good publicity.

Well I won't spoil anything from the manga, but the story will get back on generic track despite initial appearances. Sorry to say this.

Yeah I doubt 90% of the people would have watched it as a live action either. At least it got attention, a lot of people who hate the different art/animation choices will read the manga instead. I hear at this pace they are not going to anywhere near cover the source material, so I'm probably a rare case that is begging for a second season, I can't see this selling well though.

I hope the story doesn't die down too much, I really enjoyed that last episode.

Apr 23, 2013 4:07 PM
HikikomoriGamer said:

I think those characters are meant to bring some humor to the show (and I definitely laughed). But on a serious note, Japan does like to challenge gender roles and cross dressing seems a bit more accepted there than it is in Western cultures.

Does the manga say how old the characters are supposed to be? Because I know that students are 14-15 years old in their last year of middle school in Japan (their school grade system is different to how it is in the US). Obviously having child actors who are 13 or something for such a mature theme show was not going to work, which is probably why they went with older actors. To me they appear to be highschoolers.

ReasonDesu said:

That's how I feel too. It's not a show that I would say, "Oh I absolutely love this, it's one of my favorites!" Masochistic pleasure pretty much does sum it up lol. I keep watching because it's messed up and creepy. Plus I find it a visually appealing show with cinematic qualities to it. Definitely, the emotion in their faces and voices are great and the detailed backgrounds are stunning.

Apr 24, 2013 6:41 AM
ReasonDesu said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:

u2deep4me its k.

I've already explained my reasons as to why I dislike it and I need not to repeat myself. I don't have to fucking like it, damn it.

Apr 30, 2013 6:09 AM

At the very least its best of the Season for 4-chan memes.

Apr 30, 2013 7:01 AM
RedArmyShogun said:
At the very least its best of the Season for 4-chan memes.

Now that's right on.

May 4, 2013 11:49 PM

the manga of "Aku no Hana" is so great...but the anime......... why nakamura sawa is very different in animeTT^TT
i don't agree "aku no hana anime" is a masterpiece...the plot is great but not the art >.<

May 6, 2013 2:06 PM

Koromo_Toshinou said:
I don't trust mainstream crony capitalist, overly biased, objective, conventional legions such as ANN.

I say it's shit and the worst anime of all time.

criticizing for mainstream, and yet you can't stand the non mainstream art style

also
HikikomoriGamer said:

what do you want explained? there are women/girls with facial hair in real life. middleschoolers may look like adults to you, but you can say the same about many other anime, and this anime is not evangelion or miname-ke but you can look at kuroko no basket for recent examples.
Modified by Eltrik, May 6, 2013 2:16 PM

May 9, 2013 2:38 PM

People are hating on this anime for its art style, yet Mononoke's MAL rating is 5196/10? What about Kaiba or Bakemonogatari? Let's not forget Mahou Shoujo Madoka's witch realm, which pales in comparison to even South Park. Art style isn't significant compared to great story-telling, but if I was to comment on it, I'd give more praise to Aku no Hana for its unique aesthetic than I would to any of those anime. Haters will always hate though. :/
Modified by Setzuen, May 10, 2013 5:02 AM

Jul 23, 2013 6:41 PM

Aku no Hana is amazing, you guys should read reviews more carefully, specially this line:

"This is not a show for those with a short attention span."

Jul 27, 2013 8:12 AM
I agree with the guys at ANN. Best anime of the season bar none; probably the best of the year.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.

Jul 28, 2013 11:25 AM

Just started re-watching this (I stopped at episode 3 and just finished 4), its very interesting, i wouldn't have called it the best anime of that season, but its not bad either.

After seeing how the animation is for this show, I can't see it having the same creepy factor if it was animated like a general anime series.

Jul 28, 2013 12:45 PM
I don't know if was the best, but it was compulsive, and I love a really dark story, so I gave it 10.

And it's up to you, not ANN to decide what you think!

So who cares?

Jul 28, 2013 12:52 PM

Lol at people ripping into ANN. I haven't watched Aku no Hana yet, but a few of my friends (who happen to be critics at heart) only had praise for it. You kids shouldn't get your panties in a twist just because the art is different.

Jul 28, 2013 12:54 PM
Lol, okay

Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

Preview MangaManga Store