Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Apr 18, 2013 9:41 AM
symbv said:
Hey hey hey, what are you talking about?? Clearly I am talking about Japan. All the productions you mentioned are American. Japanese production of robot and space opera genre has indeed been on decline. And if the works are popular in Japan, the main attraction is the exotic and special effect that draws in people. If anything games on epic fantasy are indeed popular but the flip side is it just reinforces the lack of social interaction in real life.

Have you seen the sales numbers for Gundam Unicorn? As well as Gundum Seed, Seed Destiny, 00, and Macross Frontier. More so than a decline, I just think that you are seeing a leveling off of a peak. Don't forget that between the first Gundam/Macross and Gundam Seed there was a long period where the robot franchises were weak. In looking back were there Robot series between the first Gundam and Seed that were overlooked?

Apr 18, 2013 9:44 AM

Koromo_Toshinou said:
@symbv: DateYutaka has no legitimate reason to back up why Kyoto Animation is "bad." It's not my fault people all around the world appreciate it in some way or another.
All he could say is "i know how things work" and his source is all private and undisclosed. Anyway, as I said bringing up KyoAni at every turn is just annoyingly irrelevant. Don't see any more need to entertain such trolling at all.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.

Apr 18, 2013 9:47 AM
otaking
Koromo_Toshinou said:
Takuan_Soho said:
symbv said:
^ Funny how they selectively pick the 10 or 20% or so of the comments that are positive while ignoring the remaining negative ones LOL.

Koromo_Toshinou said:
That so in Japan? In the US, SOL is almost never shown on TV.
Well, in the family anime category, slice of life is pretty major - we have long-running favorites like Sazae-san, Crayon Shin-chan, Chibi Maruko-chan. This is why, when faced with criticism of slice-of-life by westerners, I always tell them Japan has a long tradition of slice-of-life and the fact that slice-of-life does not have an overarching plot or show any big pain in life is never considered a problem.

SOL is a very good example of "change in taste". In the US, SOL was very popular in the 50's, indeed many if not an outright majority of shows were SOL. With the 60's those, taste did change. Normalcy was on the out, Novelty was on the rise. Being the very definition of "normalcy" SOL shows pretty much died out. You can see a similar change in taste with the Westerns, though those have made a comeback somewhat compared to SOL.

Eh, I was kind of referring to the stuff on AS but yeah, that sounds right other than that.

@symbv: DateYutaka has no legitimate reason to back up why Kyoto Animation is "bad." It's not my fault people all around the world appreciate it in some way or another.

this is me talking as a bissuness guy right i you are a Studio that as been around 29 years and have self procued under 100 anime [ thats TV OVA MOvie and SP] thats is bad out put ratio
Look at Toei first 20 years of exsistance for example

and also why have Kyo ani not pushed in to the Mainstream TV Slots when thay have the biggest genre as there mainstay hmm
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

symbv said:
meneliksempai said:
What is with the Wimp MC in Anime ? Is there an explanation for it ? :/
Same explanation - the herbivore male, the non-aggressive male. It all goes together with the social change.

Interesting, because in the US and in my country the most herbivore the men become the more they enjoy to watch "manly stuff".

The funniest side of this is to watch a couple of obese 40's years old men discussing how the Soccer player on TV is a moron for not doing a trick neither of them could ever do. Might be something different with the culture. But this in the US goes in weird ways also with "Power girls" movies were women beat up men and do impossible things, so maybe not so different after all.

DateYutaka said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
Takuan_Soho said:
symbv said:
^ Funny how they selectively pick the 10 or 20% or so of the comments that are positive while ignoring the remaining negative ones LOL.

Koromo_Toshinou said:
Well, in the family anime category, slice of life is pretty major - we have long-running favorites like Sazae-san, Crayon Shin-chan, Chibi Maruko-chan. This is why, when faced with criticism of slice-of-life by westerners, I always tell them Japan has a long tradition of slice-of-life and the fact that slice-of-life does not have an overarching plot or show any big pain in life is never considered a problem.

SOL is a very good example of "change in taste". In the US, SOL was very popular in the 50's, indeed many if not an outright majority of shows were SOL. With the 60's those, taste did change. Normalcy was on the out, Novelty was on the rise. Being the very definition of "normalcy" SOL shows pretty much died out. You can see a similar change in taste with the Westerns, though those have made a comeback somewhat compared to SOL.

Eh, I was kind of referring to the stuff on AS but yeah, that sounds right other than that.

this is me talking as a bissuness guy right i you are a Studio that as been around 29 years and have self procued under 100 anime [ thats TV OVA MOvie and SP] thats is bad out put ratio

and also why have Kyo ani not pushed in to the Mainstream TV Slots when thay have the biggest genre as there mainstay hmm

I saw that reply 6 months ago, come up with a different argument.

Apr 18, 2013 9:48 AM

Takuan_Soho said:
Have you seen the sales numbers for Gundam Unicorn? As well as Gundum Seed, Seed Destiny, 00, and Macross Frontier. More so than a decline, I just think that you are seeing a leveling off of a peak. Don't forget that between the first Gundam/Macross and Gundam Seed there was a long period where the robot franchises were weak. In looking back were there Robot series between the first Gundam and Seed that were overlooked?
No, the talk is about how robot and mecha now needs to fall back onto franchise reboots. Gundam, Macross, Yamato are all reboots. This keeps the old-timers happy (and perhaps create some new fans too) but there is doubt about the creative and successful days for epic space opera may have gone for good.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.

Apr 18, 2013 9:49 AM
otaking
Koromo_Toshinou said:
DateYutaka said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
Takuan_Soho said:
symbv said:

Koromo_Toshinou said:

That is a Valid aguament that needs to be addressed
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Koromo_Toshinou said:
Actually ignoring him may be best, as he seems to only want to jab at KyoAni at every opportunity.

otaking
symbv said:
Takuan_Soho said:
No, the talk is about how robot and mecha now needs to fall back onto franchise reboots. Gundam, Macross, Yamato are all reboots. This keeps the old-timers happy (and perhaps create some new fans too) but there is doubt about the creative and successful days for epic space opera may have gone for good.

i Fullly Agree with you here

Apr 18, 2013 9:52 AM
DateYutaka said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
DateYutaka said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
Takuan_Soho said:
symbv said:

Koromo_Toshinou said:

"Needs to be addressed"

What control do you have over the anime industry anyways? You're just a petty watcher, and Kyoto Animation will make more and more anime as the years go by.

Oh no! That's terrible!

Apr 18, 2013 10:02 AM
otaking
Koromo_Toshinou said:
DateYutaka said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
DateYutaka said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
Takuan_Soho said:
symbv said:

Koromo_Toshinou said:

"Needs to be addressed"

What control do you have over the anime industry anyways? You're just a petty watcher, and Kyoto Animation will make more and more anime as the years go by.

Oh no! That's terrible!

petty watcher no
i work at one of the most respected anime magazines in Japan animage

im ont the only detractor that Kyo ANI has you know i want them to prove me wrong there the last big Boom era studio not to ever have a Tv anime air mianstrem Slot
Plus there the only indepent one founded in the 80's who are still that way

there has been over 30 years of Toei dominance over ratings [ in amount of show in the top 40 year on year i want it to not Stagante any longer it needs new blood who are a Prosige studio not just a caster [ yes im a toei fan Too ]

thay have the tools but do not use them that is that and my biggest isuues with them

Apr 18, 2013 10:05 AM

DateYutaka said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
DateYutaka said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
DateYutaka said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
Takuan_Soho said:
symbv said:

Koromo_Toshinou said:

"Needs to be addressed"

Oh no! That's terrible!

petty watcher no
i work at one of the most respected anime magazines in Japan animage

im ont the only detractor that Kyo ANI has you know i want them to prove me wrong there the last big Boom era studio not to ever have a Tv anime air mianstrem Slot

there has been over 30 years of Toei dominance over ratings [ in amount of show in the top 40 year on year i want it to not Stagante any longer it needs new blood who are a Prosige studio not just a caster [ yes im a toei fan Too ]

thay have the tools but do not use them that is that and my biggest isuues with them

This is the internet, everybody is a Special Forces Hero, hot female model and Nobel Peace Prize winner.

Also if you are in such position of influence how come you don't write English properly ? But if you do anyway, what have you done to break the situation besides complaining on an irrelevant Otaku Website ?

Apr 18, 2013 10:06 AM

DateYutaka said:

But isn't it the same for many studios which make late night anime? Not just KyoAni, Sunrise, A-1, JC Staff etc. The thing I see is evening and morning time slots, those for family anime, which get the best ratings and most valuable sponsors, usually go to those old-time studio like Toei. I wonder if there is actually some barrier by the established studio to prevent entry by those newer and smaller studios from KyoAni down to enter the mainstream slots.

Apr 18, 2013 10:18 AM

Everybody, please don't complain about mistakes in English writing here.

The most intelligent people I know are not able to write English properly.

MAL is worldwide, and that includes places outside English-speaking countries.

Apr 18, 2013 10:30 AM

This is the internet, everybody is a Special Forces Hero, hot female
model and Nobel Peace Prize winner.

Since he is from Edinburgh, why can't he punctuate correctly?

Not everybody on the Internet won the Nobel Prize for Literature, I guess.

Oops... didn't I just tell people not to criticize mistakes in English?

Apr 18, 2013 10:33 AM
symbv said:

We'll see. Personally I think what you have is merely the signs of a mature market, not a sign of any change in taste. The big "franchises" are thought of as money making cows by their studios, and they keep on "relaunching" them as long as the pay (which they do, very well it seems, which shows that this isn't taste since there is a market). This helps to intimidate new entries from entering into the market. This situation has been exasperated by the fact that these franchises have had some very good runs recently, particularly Gundam, but also Macross. For something new to emerge you either need a transformation talent (which are very rare) OR for the big boys to fail, opening up a little light in forest.

Every cour has a couple of robot animations, (Suisei being this cour's entry), the trouble is that to date there hasn't been a particularly good series for a long while. That is a talent issue, not a market issue.

Apr 18, 2013 10:42 AM

Takuan_Soho said:
We'll see. Personally I think what you have is merely the signs of a mature market, not a sign of any change in taste.
Well, to me the decline is something akin to the decline in westerns in Hollywood. We may see some resurgence from time to time, but the trend is it definitely is not as popular now as in the past and not as many are made now compared to the past. And this is not because of any mature market or talent issue, but a shift in taste. I do not see why such big trend cannot happen to anime.

Your "intimidating" theory also sounds odd, as if there is huge barrier of entry for original anime. The fact is there always are original anime but when it is made it is often not the space opera type. The one thing that got a lot of anime fans to take notice this season is how there are 3 original mecha anime this season, Suisei is just one of the three. We have yet to see how successful they are, although in terms of social message so far Suisei seems to be the one who wants the most to address the social trend and challenges in current Japanese society. On the other hand, far from having "a couple", last cour there is not really any space opera type of mecha show unless you count AKB0048 which is more about idol than mecha. The cour before that, none either.

And if there is a talent issue here, it could well be an indication that resource is shifted to making something other than space opera because of the shift in taste.
Modified by symbv, Apr 18, 2013 10:54 AM

Apr 18, 2013 10:55 AM

okanagan said:
Everybody, please don't complain about mistakes in English writing here.

The most intelligent people I know are not able to write English properly.

MAL is worldwide, and that includes places outside English-speaking countries.

That was rude from my part, but but he does raise some worrying flags.

symbv said:
Takuan_Soho said:
We'll see. Personally I think what you have is merely the signs of a mature market, not a sign of any change in taste.
Well, to me the decline is something akin to the decline in westerns in Hollywood. We may see some resurgence from time to time, but the trend is it definitely is not as popular now as in the past and not as many are made now compared to the past. And this is not because of any mature market or talent issue, but a shift in taste. I do not see why such big trend cannot happen to anime.

Talking of Western resurfacing, the last great western movies from Hollywood where actually other genre given a western flavor such has Scifi for "Aliens VS Cowboy", slaptick Johny Deep Comedy for the "Lone Ranger" which looks like "Pirate of the Caribean", and ultra-violent action for "Django Unchained" which looks like "Inglorious Bastards".

I watched the great classic "Good, Bad, and Evil" a few months ago and they don't make westerns like that anymore.

Apr 18, 2013 10:58 AM
symbv said:

Your "intimidating" theory also sounds odd, as if there is huge barrier of entry for original anime. The fact is there always are original anime but when it is made it is often not the space opera type.

The Western didn't just decline it disappeared for nearly a generation (from 1975-1995 roughly - from Blazing Saddles to Eastwood's Pale Rider). The few movies in between that attempted to revive the genre failed spectacularly, even if the movies in and of themselves were not that bad. That as I said is more a shift in tastes. Robot animation though is more still there, there are series that have some success, with the occasional break out hits (Evanglion, Code Geass) as well as moderate hits (Rinne I think would fall into that category) throughout this time period. So the market is still there, but it is dominated by Gundam.

"Intimidate" may not have been the best word. "Crowded out" might be better. But if you were contemplating doing an animated series, right now the one company I would not want to compete directly against would be Sunrise (again look at the top ten selling series since 2000, Sunrise and Gundam have been a beast). Most company's are risk adverse, they would prefer not tangling with the 900 lbs gorilla.

What you could say is that Gundam has been bad for the robot genre. That is a very true statement.

Apr 18, 2013 11:04 AM

Takuan_Soho said:
The Western didn't just decline it disappeared for nearly a generation (from 1975-1995 roughly - from Blazing Saddles to Eastwood's Pale Rider). The few movies in between that attempted to revive the genre failed spectacularly, even if the movies in and of themselves were not that bad. That as I said is more a shift in tastes. Robot animation though is more still there, there are series that have some success, with the occasional break out hits (Evanglion, Code Geass) as well as moderate hits (Rinne I think would fall into that category) throughout this time period. So the market is still there, but it is dominated by Gundam.
It does not need a total disappearance to indicate a shift in taste. Absence of annihilation does not mean the trend is steady. As I said the genre has become less popular compared to the old days (90s or before). Just to repeat what I said in my last post, far from having "a couple", last cour there is not really any space opera type of mecha show unless you count AKB0048 which is more about idol than mecha. The cour before that, none either. And seeing that you have to go back to Evangelion which was dated from late 90s to sustain your "cycle" theory only verifies my point. The thinking is that Evangelion is unlikely to thrive in the market condition, demography these days.

By the way, Rinne is considered a failure not a moderate hit (or even a hit).

meneliksempai said:
That was rude from my part, but but he does raise some worrying flags.
To be honest, his words can get really hard to read at times. It is not just the grammar or spelling but capitalization etc as well.

meneliksempai said:

Talking of Western resurfacing, the last great western movies from Hollywood where actually other genre given a western flavor such has Scifi for "Aliens VS Cowboy", slaptick Johny Deep Comedy for the "Lone Ranger" which looks like "Pirate of the Caribean", and ultra-violent action for "Django Unchained" which looks like "Inglorious Bastards".
I watched the great classic "Good, Bad, and Evil" a few months ago and they don't make westerns like that anymore.
Same with mecha anime. Space opera is clearly in decline, and even if we look hard all we have is slice-of-life as main dish "Rinne no Lagrange" or girls having fun "Moretsu Space Pirate". If we look really really hard perhaps we have to count "Eureka Seven AO" and even "Total Eclipse" as well even though we don't get much "space opera" or deep space travel there, same for Code Geass. But one thing to note is unlike those past days, we do not see much of a boost for mecha model sales for these mecha anime unlike Gundam or Macross, so one wonders if the main appeal of these anime lies somewhere else.
Modified by symbv, Apr 18, 2013 11:16 AM

Apr 18, 2013 11:17 AM

RyanSaotome said:
ANN is calling Aku No Hana a "Masterpiece" and "Best of the Season"

HA. HA HA. HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

[EDIT:] Heh. Ok, no seriously. I've read the thread now and I honestly think that the story does warrant some praise. I think it's ludicrous to call something "realistic" if it's source is in fact real people, and they've painted over them in the worst way possible. There's a reason why rotoscoping was basically replaced by cell-shading. Same concept, better presentation. The pacing of the story is honestly bad enough to mention as well. Certainly a good effort, a different effort. But not best of season, and including mistakes that perhaps make it worst of season from some perspectives.
Modified by Chaospan, Apr 18, 2013 11:28 AM

Apr 18, 2013 11:20 AM
symbv said:
It does not need a total disappearance to indicate a shift in taste. And seeing that you have to go back to Evangelion which was dated from late 90s to sustain your "cycle" theory only verifies my point.

When was this golden age of robots/space opera? Which shows are you thinking of? I do know that since 2000 a sizable number of the best selling Blue rays have been Robot animations. So how can they be in decline if they are so popular.

Your answer requires you to discount the two main franchises. But looking back, if you discounted these two franchise from the golden age, you are reduced to a handful of series spaced years apart, and of these several of them were by a mere 2 writers (Leiji Matsumoto and Yoshiki Tanaka). That my friend is a talent cycle, not a popularity cycle. To demonstrate a change in taste you would have to be able to point to something neglected that is comparable to those great writers.

Apr 18, 2013 11:32 AM

Takuan_Soho said:
When was this golden age of robots/space opera? Which shows are you thinking of? I do know that since 2000 a sizable number of the best selling Blue rays have been Robot animations. So how can they be in decline if they are so popular.
As I said the days before 2000. Gundam, Macross, Yamato, Evangelion, Legend of Galaxy Heroes all dated from those days. If we look even earlier, we had even more mecha anime in family hours time slots. As for bestselling blu-rays of robot animations, let me know what you have in mind that is not reboot.

Takuan_Soho said:
That my friend is a talent cycle, not a popularity cycle. To demonstrate a change in taste you would have to be able to point to something neglected that is comparable to those great writers.
You put way too much stress on talent as if only space opera mecha needs a genius to create good works and not the case for other genres. Besides as I said if there are fewer talents working on space opera genre, it may just be the result of fewer works being made for the genre, and we have already seen that contrary to what you said there are not that many space mecha anime these days.

And you still keep using the word "cycle" (talent cycle, popularity cycle). It seems that you just cannot accept the idea of a trend unless you see total disappearance first.
Modified by symbv, Apr 18, 2013 11:40 AM

Apr 18, 2013 11:33 AM

Chaospan said:
RyanSaotome said:
ANN is calling Aku No Hana a "Masterpiece" and "Best of the Season"

HA. HA HA. HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

[EDIT:] Heh. Ok, no seriously. I've read the thread now and I honestly think that the story does warrant some praise.

The story is your average Brazilian Soap Opera for teens, and that is not a particularly intelligent form of entertainment.

Apr 18, 2013 12:43 PM
symbv said:
DateYutaka said:

But isn't it the same for many studios which make late night anime? Not just KyoAni, Sunrise, A-1, JC Staff etc. The thing I see is evening and morning time slots, those for family anime, which get the best ratings and most valuable sponsors, usually go to those old-time studio like Toei. I wonder if there is actually some barrier by the established studio to prevent entry by those newer and smaller studios from KyoAni down to enter the mainstream slots.

Which is why it's stupid enough for him to think that KyoAni is the only studio guilty of what he doesn't like.

Apr 18, 2013 1:26 PM

symbv said:

Lets hope those 10-20% go and buy the BD when it's done because I want more like this. I'd literally pay them my hard earned money to rotoscope a small K-On series. It would be epic troll material.

Apr 18, 2013 1:38 PM
otaking
Koromo_Toshinou said:
symbv said:
DateYutaka said:

Which is why it's stupid enough for him to think that KyoAni is the only studio guilty of what he doesn't like.

But thay also make main stream stuff not only Late night thre has to be a Ballance

Apr 18, 2013 1:51 PM

meneliksempai said:
Chaospan said:
(...)I honestly think that the story does warrant some praise.

The story is your average Brazilian Soap Opera for teens, and that is not a particularly intelligent form of entertainment.

I've never seen a Brazilian soap opera and generally ignore teen shows, but if Aku no Hana's story is unoriginal because of that I'm not surprised. I suppose that means (imo) that they got everything wrong. I still think the story as-is could get more mileage in animated form if it was presented properly though.

Apr 18, 2013 2:03 PM

meneliksempai said:
The story is your average Brazilian Soap Opera for teens

In that case, I want to watch some Brazilian teen soap operas !

Can anybody provide one or two YouTube links? (With subs please)

I know that there are some people actually living in Brazil who post here on MAL.

Apr 18, 2013 2:21 PM

Chaospan said:
meneliksempai said:
Chaospan said:
(...)I honestly think that the story does warrant some praise.

I've never seen a Brazilian soap opera and generally ignore teen shows, but if Aku no Hana's story is unoriginal because of that I'm not surprised. I suppose that means (imo) that they got everything wrong. I still think the story as-is could get more mileage in animated form if it was presented properly though.

I was told that the story is serious and as such required a realistic rendition, but after watching 2 episodes it is all deja vu for me.

okanagan said:
meneliksempai said:

I know that there are some people actually living in Brazil who post here on MAL.

Aku no Hana reminds of the show "Malhacao" the most, as for subtittle try to use youtube automatic translated subs, they work fairly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eot5W5B6cTg

Apr 18, 2013 2:22 PM
okanagan said:
meneliksempai said:

You could read Vargas Llosa's "Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter" to give you a taste of what South American soaps are like, and he is a Nobel Laureate as well. Great funny brilliant novel.

Apr 18, 2013 3:24 PM

I've just started watching Kemonozume and it reminds me so much of this show but is much higher rated. I hope maybe AnH will turn out the same way.

Apr 18, 2013 6:38 PM

ReasonDesu said:
I've just started watching Kemonozume and it reminds me so much of this show but is much higher rated. I hope maybe AnH will turn out the same way.

Without doubt, the best comparison is with Kemonozume. Krmonozume is lucky to be from a different time, different trends back then, so there was still the "ugly" but not to the ridiculous levels seen at this moment with Aku no Hana.
Modified by 9988, Apr 18, 2013 6:43 PM

Apr 18, 2013 6:49 PM

ReasonDesu said:
I've just started watching Kemonozume and it reminds me so much of this
show but is much higher rated.

Thank you for pointing this out. Just now I have been watching a bunch of episodes.
I don't know how to summarize it except to say that it is very much worth taking a
long and careful look. Details are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemonozume

meneliksempai said:
Aku no Hana reminds of the show "Malhacao" the most

Thank you. I watched a couple of episodes. This is a huge, huge cultural
phenomenon in Brazil. They have made 4000 episodes and tens of millions of
people watch it. As a result, it is economically possible to have extremely high
production values. Malhação is a "slice-of-life" show, with every single episode
having a different pair of protagonists facing a new situation.
More details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malha%C3%A7%C3%A3o
Modified by okanagan, Apr 18, 2013 7:02 PM

Apr 19, 2013 1:31 AM

okanagan said:
meneliksempai said:
Aku no Hana reminds of the show "Malhacao" the most

Thank you. I watched a couple of episodes. This is a huge, huge cultural
phenomenon in Brazil. They have made 4000 episodes and tens of millions of
people watch it. As a result, it is economically possible to have extremely high
production values. Malhação is a "slice-of-life" show, with every single episode
having a different pair of protagonists facing a new situation.
More details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malha%C3%A7%C3%A3o

Yes it is a big thing, I used to watch it around 1999 and 2002, it is also big in my country and people really like to watch these Brazilian soap operas.

Apr 19, 2013 3:49 AM
9988 said:
ReasonDesu said:

Without doubt, the best comparison is with Kemonozume. Krmonozume is lucky to be from a different time, different trends back then, so there was still the "ugly" but not to the ridiculous levels seen at this moment with Aku no Hana.

Kemonozume came out in 2006 and the style can only be attributed to Yuasa, it has nothing to do with trends. Kick Heart is the closest thing in terms of visuals and that's coming out in a few months. The extreme stylization in his works is very different from the more realistic looking rotoscope of Aku no Hana.

Apr 19, 2013 12:14 PM

Trisection said:
9988 said:
ReasonDesu said:

Kemonozume came out in 2006 and the style can only be attributed to Yuasa, it has nothing to do with trends. Kick Heart is the closest thing in terms of visuals and that's coming out in a few months. The extreme stylization in his works is very different from the more realistic looking rotoscope of Aku no Hana.

You did not understand what I meant. I meant that todays dominant trends (moe-desporportionate fanservice) were just starting back then ( the huge boom that is), the moe boom happened around 2006, so Kemonozume did not had it as hard as Ano Hana has it today, the dominant trends and hardcore fans that now expect certain "standards" are trashing Aku no Hana now, so I simply said the back in 2006 people were more open to such drastic style, like the one in Kemonozume and there was no drama over it unlike now.

Apr 19, 2013 12:21 PM

^ Not sure how you got this idea that moe boom started in 2006. There is no consensus about exactly which year Moe took a leading role and the word Moe dated quite some time before 2006.

Apr 19, 2013 12:32 PM

symbv said:
^ Not sure how you got this idea that moe boom started in 2006. There is no consensus about exactly which year Moe took a leading role and the word Moe dated quite some time before 2006.
}

Dont begin with that game of yours over again symbv, who is saying anything about the "birth of moe", of course there are moe series pre-2006, and who know when "moe" or the slang fr that matter when into existance, I am specifically referring about the BOOM, and the general consensus -among fans at the least- is that the booom started in 2006, to be more specific thanks to Kyoani's Hauruhi.

The boom is 2006, with 2007-2009 being its peak.

Modified by 9988, Apr 19, 2013 12:45 PM

Apr 19, 2013 12:42 PM

9988 said:
Dont begin with that game of yours over again symbv, who is saying anything about the "birth of moe", I am specifically referring about the BOOM, and the general consensus -among fans at the least- is that the booom started in 2006, to be more specific thanks to Kyoani's Hauruhi.
I didn't start any game. I think you started it by writing as if it is a universally accepted fact that the "moe boom" (whatever that means) started in 2006 when there is never any consensus about this. Did Haruhi start a boom? Or Clannad? Or before KyoAni? If anything, in fact the general consensus mostly traced the rise of moe to Evangelion and the start of late night anime in the late 90s.

As for your graph, you'd better explain what it is as just the graph does not mean much.

Apr 19, 2013 12:45 PM

symbv said:
9988 said:
Dont begin with that game of yours over again symbv, who is saying anything about the "birth of moe", I am specifically referring about the BOOM, and the general consensus -among fans at the least- is that the booom started in 2006, to be more specific thanks to Kyoani's Hauruhi.
I didn't start any game. I think you started it by writing as if it is a universally accepted fact that the "moe boom" (whatever that means) started in 2006 when there is never any consensus about this. Did Haruhi start a boom? Or Clannad? Or before KyoAni? If anything, in fact the general consensus mostly traced the rise of moe to Evangelion and the start of late night anime in the late 90s.

Sure I know your games. If you don't want to acknowledge it its fine by me.

I will say it again, the boom happened in 2006, and yea, the one responsible for it was Kyoani and Haruhi , this is the superhit that defined anime in the 2000s.

EDIT: Just now doing a simply googleseartch it brought up a nice chart, hard cold numbers don't lie :

I took them from this nice blog post form 2010 titled: Moe Invasion - True or Fantasy, boy, how right that moe was an invasion, the numbers clearly shows us when it all began:

http://aquabluesweater.wordpress.com/2010/12/31/genre-over-time-moe/

Modified by 9988, Apr 19, 2013 12:55 PM

Apr 19, 2013 12:49 PM

9988 said:
Sure I know your games. If you dont want to acknowledge it its fine by me.
I will say it again, the boom happened in 2006, and yea, the one responsible for it was Kyoani and Haiurhi, this is the superhit that defined anime in the 2000s.
Haruhi is a superhit, but how does it mean that it started the so-called "moe boom"?? People can look at superhit like Evangelion and argue that Moe concept and style stared there too. At the end it all depends on how you define "moe boom", and given "moe" is such a fluid and ill-defined concept I am not sure you can easily draw a line unless you come up with some definition you create.

9988 said:
EDIT: Just now doing a simply googleseartch it brought up a nice chart, hard cold numbers don't lie :
Perhaps you should explain what this graph means before claiming "hard cold numbers". For example, what does the number on the Y-axis mean?
Modified by symbv, Apr 19, 2013 12:52 PM

Apr 19, 2013 12:51 PM

symbv said:
9988 said:
Sure I know your games. If you dont want to acknowledge it its fine by me.
I will say it again, the boom happened in 2006, and yea, the one responsible for it was Kyoani and Haiurhi, this is the superhit that defined anime in the 2000s.
Haruhi is a superhit, but how does it mean that it started the so-called "moe boom"??

9988 said:
Perhaps you should explain what this graph means before claiming "hard cold numbers". For example, what does the number on the Y-axis mean?

@ symbv

I put the srouce above, just someone that took its time to gather the data by year, you love data so much so theres some nice moe data from 2000-2010.

Haruhi is a moe and pandering fest, its superhit status made so many jump into the bandwagon that continues to dominate till now.
Modified by 9988, Apr 19, 2013 12:54 PM

Apr 19, 2013 12:55 PM

^ Ha ha ha the percentage of "moe show", huh? What a subjective criteria to use, and the author even admits hugely moe shows like Railgun and Shana are not counted. So what is "moe show"? And of course he uses the list from ANN - how great to see ANN again in none other than this thread when we discuss how knee-jerk anti-moe and how bad the reviews in ANN are.

9988 said:
Haruhi is a moe and pandering fest, its superhit status made so many jump into the bandwagon that continues to dominate till now.
This is one of the most cliched things I heard from moe-haters. If anything I would say that the super-super-hit status of Evangelion did a lot more to drive the idea to sell by skilfully using moe concept in anime/manga/game/LN than Haruhi.
Modified by symbv, Apr 19, 2013 1:00 PM

Apr 19, 2013 12:56 PM

Seeing these graphs and the associated reference is fantastic. I am also appreciating the
comments from the various participants in the discussion. How about a Kyon card ???

Apr 19, 2013 1:02 PM

symbv said:
^ Ha ha ha the percentage of "moe show", huh? What a subjective criteria to use, and the author even admits hugely moe shows like Railgun and Shana are not counted. So what is "moe show"? And of course he uses the list from ANN - how great to see ANN again in none other than this thread when we discuss how knee-jerk anti-moe and how bad the reviews in ANN are.

9988 said:
This is one of the most cliched things I heard from moe-haters. If anything I would say that the super-super-hit status of Evangelion did a lot more to drive the idea to sell by skilfully using moe concept in anime/manga/game/LN than Haruhi.

From your love for moe and my(our) "hate" I wonder who has the bigger bias.

Ah, love, LOVE IS BLIND, wonderful love that hides flaws from our eyes and converts them into virtues! Wonderful love.
Modified by 9988, Apr 19, 2013 1:06 PM

Apr 19, 2013 1:05 PM

9988 said:
From your love and my(our) "hate" I wonder who has the bigger bias.
Well, given that you used common haters words like "moe and pandering fest" I don't see why you should not be called a moe hater. You are showing your bias and I am just stating who you are. In fact I would guess that you take pride in being called one, no?
Modified by symbv, Apr 19, 2013 1:12 PM

Apr 19, 2013 1:16 PM
9988 said:
]I took them from this nice blog post form 2010 titled: Moe Invasion - True or Fantasy, boy, how right that moe was an invasion, the numbers clearly shows us when it all began:

http://aquabluesweater.wordpress.com/2010/12/31/genre-over-time-moe/

In 2006 "moe" was 3% of the releases, in 2009 it was 6% of the releases. You have one season of one year over 10%, but the average is closer to 6%. I have never heard of such a small minority being considered an "invasion" before. Wake me up if it goes over 20%

Apr 19, 2013 1:16 PM

symbv said:
9988 said:
From your love and my(our) "hate" I wonder who has the bigger bias.
Well, given that you used common haters words like "moe and pandering fest" I don't see why you should not be called a moe hater. In fact I would guess that you take pride in being called one, no?

I was not even arguing me being called hater to begin with. I don't care and it does not fully (at least) fits me, I enjoy a fair number of anime with moe and pandering, but better hater than blind moe lover, at least I don't take shame in admitting what i don't like, unlike others that for some reason dont admit what they love...

Ah, love is wonderful.

Apr 19, 2013 1:20 PM

9988 said:
I was not even arguing me being called hater! I don't care honestly, heck iot dont even fully fits, me, so I dont take any kind of offense, I enjoy a fair number of anime with moe and pandering. But better hater than a blind moe lover thou.
But love is wonderful aint it symbv.
As if loving Haruhi and K-On necessarily means loving moe blindly. The fact that a term "moe show" is used with some arbitrary criteria and with the term being used like its has no other appeal except "moe" is already showing a deep bias about how moe is used in anime and what role moe plays.

Oh yes, love is indeed wonderful but how says love must mean blind love. Otherwise, we might as well say hatred is blind.

Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

Preview MangaManga Store