15th Anniversary
Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Apr 11, 2013 4:59 PM

har har har. that's funny. If it were April First this would make a great April fools joke

Apr 11, 2013 7:43 PM

Tbh I think giving the first ep a perfect score is a little.. over-the-top. There are some moments where the rotoscoping works against the show, making the atmosphere go from bleak and uneasy to awkward and forced.

But I don't get the hate for the show or the reviews. I haven't read the manga, but this show seems to have a lot of potential in my opinion; and I agree for the most part with ANN on this one. It does an excellent job of building a disturbing sense of tension even though the majority of the show takes place in a high school full of typical teenage chatter. It pulls off something unique, something most of the shows this season would struggle to do if they attempted it.
Modified by yella, Apr 11, 2013 7:49 PM

Apr 11, 2013 8:36 PM

Yella wrote:
It pulls off something ...

This is exactly the issue.

I think that they DID "pull it off". In other words, I think they were successful
in telling the story of Episode 1. Yes, there are lots of technical flaws. But did
they tell the story? I think that they did.

If some people were distracted by the poor quality and the disadvantages of
the rotoscope technique then that could make Episode 1 a failure for them.

My worry is whether they can "pull it off" for Episodes 2 and 3. My main
concern is whether the acting can be effective given (1) the casting and
(2) the limitations of the rotoscope technique to express drama. Also, I
wonder whether their basic technique really is suitable for telling any kind
of story. Yes, it is great for building the atmosphere of tension.

If anything, most anime series have an "animation bump" for episode 1. In
other words, the quality of the animation is extra HIGH for the first episode,
so as to attract viewers. If THIS was the "animation bump" then there
could be significant problems for the following episodes.

Apr 11, 2013 9:55 PM

Well at least they can look past an anime not meeting their expectations for art's sake unlike 80% of MAL.

Apr 11, 2013 10:20 PM

even if they don't think the art is a big problem, a full 5 just seems too..overrated.

Apr 11, 2013 10:24 PM
Takei_Hisa said:
even if they don't think the art is a big problem, a full 5 just seems too..overrated.

just as much as a 1, no?
"....i am the villain in this story"

Apr 12, 2013 5:14 AM
Kanade♥

They need a reality check.

Apr 12, 2013 3:37 PM

amginex said:
Takei_Hisa said:

just as much as a 1, no?

I admit I'm not rating it fairly but it's only been two episodes. The first episode didn't have much plot yet and the only thing I saw was art.

Apr 12, 2013 5:57 PM

ANN is full of elitists and retards, shouldn't be used to anything other than news.

Apr 12, 2013 7:23 PM

does ANN folks have terrible taste? lols i see good anime has low rate than shitty anime.. or maybe i just have a bad taste.. pfftt..

Apr 12, 2013 8:08 PM
Dark_Messiah said:
does ANN folks have terrible taste? lols i see good anime has low rate than shitty anime.. or maybe i just have a bad taste.. pfftt..

No, its not that they have terrible taste, rather they have no taste: if it is moe they hate it, if it has pretension they love it, that pretty much is the extent of their reviews.

They have no ability to figure out potential "hidden gems" (which is what you really want a reviewer to do), their preconceived notions get in the way. In short they are posers, not critics.

Apr 12, 2013 8:20 PM

ANN is right for once.

Apr 12, 2013 8:35 PM

ANN is a total crap, don't belive on ANN users since they are too dumb to understand what a good anime is.

Apr 12, 2013 8:38 PM

Not saying Aku no Hana is bad, but uh, ANN is pretty untrustworthy when it comes to reviews. After all, they gave Kashimashi of all things an "A".

Apr 12, 2013 8:39 PM

okanagan said:
Yella wrote:
It pulls off something ...

My worry is whether they can "pull it off" for Episodes 2 and 3. My main
concern is whether the acting can be effective given (1) the casting and
(2) the limitations of the rotoscope technique to express drama. Also, I
wonder whether their basic technique really is suitable for telling any kind
of story. Yes, it is great for building the atmosphere of tension.

See, I'm absolutely fine with criticism like this. It's the badly thought out "lol this anime looks bad and is pretentious and ANN is dumb for liking it" arguments that get to me.

And I actually agree with you, the potential of the first episode's storytelling could definitely be wasted if they can't adapt to the more... substantial parts of the story. About to watch Episode 2, so I guess I'll start to find out.

Apr 13, 2013 12:17 AM
I'm not really surprised. ANN seems to be run by a bunch of old people who pretty much hate anime or think the only anime worth watching is Cowboy Bebop and stuff. They're very anti otaku, fanservice, or really anything that isn't conservative values. Whoever compared them to FoxNews was right on the money

It doesn't help Zac pretty much broke down in a recent thread and admitted he wanted to be a film critic but pretty much couldn't find a job so he settle for reviewing anime and has been stuck in it for years now. Pretty obvious from his previews he pretty much doesn't care for anime much and is just a failed film critic so he thinks Aku no Hana is the closest thing to a 'artsy movie' he'll review.

Apr 13, 2013 12:23 AM

Oddjoke said:
It doesn't help Zac pretty much broke down in a recent thread and admitted he wanted to be a film critic but pretty much couldn't find a job so he settle for reviewing anime and has been stuck in it for years now.
Lol, what? Would never have guessed that could even happen.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh - Makes me sad to call myself Canadian.

Apr 13, 2013 4:43 AM

This is definitely a case of nerd baiting. Kotaku have done it, too.

It's a lowly rated and highly criticized show for a reason, not many people enjoy it. It doesn't cater to the manga audience. With such low reception, this is a perfect opportunity for them to get some hits and make some money.

Don't look any further into it.

Apr 13, 2013 4:48 AM
I shouldn't quote the stupidity of one of the critics but... f*** it.
"Not everyone will like this show. From a personal standpoint, I didn't. But it is one that should be given at least an episode before you form your opinion."
- Rebecca Silverman... who gave Aku no Hana 5/5
GREAT! THIS IS NOT EVEN A REVIEW, IT'S NOT EVEN YOUR OWN OPINION! WHY!? BECAUSE FROM THIS PERSON'S POINT OF VIEW OPINIONS OF OTHERS MATTER MORE THAN YOUR OWN!

WHY DOES ANN EXIST!?

Apr 13, 2013 6:17 AM

RyanSaotome is just upset that Zac doesn't share his viewpoints regarding anime, therefore he goes around various websites belittling him and ANN because he's butthurt. Nerd rage in full display.

Also, why do you care so much about someone else' rating(s)? It's their prerogative to rate to their liking - just as it is for anyone else - so such contempt isn't needed.
Modified by Pizzaholic, Apr 13, 2013 6:23 AM

Apr 13, 2013 6:19 AM
Jonny_Mhl said:
ANN is a total crap, don't belive on ANN users since they are too dumb to understand what a good anime is.

Wait, so you are judging a whole community based on vocal reviewers of a single episode?

Seriously? Comments never fail to impress.

Tyrel said:
They need a reality check.

For having a different opinion? I'm sorry, but here's a mirror. You need to use it.
Modified by TheUnknownOne, Apr 13, 2013 6:22 AM

Apr 13, 2013 6:27 AM

Monde11 said:
yunochi said:
they always review good anime with low score like they did with madoka, sao, guilty crown,,
IIRC they ended up giving Madoka a high score because of it's popularity haha

woah.. really??.. tsk tsk..

Apr 13, 2013 6:49 AM
akira25ysai said:
Monde11 said:
yunochi said:
they always review good anime with low score like they did with madoka, sao, guilty crown,,
IIRC they ended up giving Madoka a high score because of it's popularity haha

woah.. really??.. tsk tsk..

He posted no source or reliable link, so no.

Apr 13, 2013 12:43 PM
TheUnknownOne said:
He posted no source or reliable link, so no.

The preview guide gave Madoka a terrible score

Then after the series became the big hit of 2011 they suddenly heel-turned and said it was a masterpiece

Apr 13, 2013 12:48 PM

Okay, so what?
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

Apr 13, 2013 12:52 PM

It's not a single review. It's like 6 people or so all giving different impressions. Just picking the one you disagree with and complaining is so immature. I don't know about the Madoka stuff, but are you even certain that the same person who gave a negative first impression is the one who later praised it? I highly doubt all 6 of them disliked it, that was just one first impression. As for them getting money to hype anime....You really must have some warped sense of how things work if you think that's the case.

Apr 13, 2013 4:11 PM

Oddjoke said:
What is the point of this? They saw the first episode and didn't like it. After the show finished, their opinions changed...I don't see anything wrong with that. It wasn't what they thought it was going to be.

Apr 13, 2013 7:30 PM
saxophone15 said:
What is the point of this? They saw the first episode and didn't like it. After the show finished, their opinions changed...I don't see anything wrong with that. It wasn't what they thought it was going to be.

Isn't that the point? They saw a mahou shoujo and couldn't wrap their heads around the possibility that this could be something different. That is what a critic is supposed to do, be able to spot things that could become good. Notice how much they fell into the "oh, this is moe" trap (who gives a rat's behind that Madoka's hair is pink, didn't the notice how bleak the rest of the artwork was, didn't that give them a clue?).

This animation is a prefect judge of a critic. The reviewer goes on about a "sanrio" type mascot, but completely overlooks the fact that the "struggling magical girl with long hair" is trying to kill it, while the other magical girl is threatening to kill the first magical girl for trying to kill it. In over 50% of the audience this set off warning signs that this wasn't your typical mahou shoujo anime, but the reviewer is completely oblivious to this, showing the inability to see beyond his own preconceptions.

ANN reviewers have a bad reputation and should have a bad reputation. Anyone can spot a classic after the fact, but a real critic can see potential from the beginning.

Apr 13, 2013 9:20 PM

Takuan_Soho said:
saxophone15 said:

Isn't that the point? They saw a mahou shoujo and couldn't wrap their heads around the possibility that this could be something different. That is what a critic is supposed to do, be able to spot things that could become good. Notice how much they fell into the "oh, this is moe" trap (who gives a rat's behind that Madoka's hair is pink, didn't the notice how bleak the rest of the artwork was, didn't that give them a clue?).

This animation is a prefect judge of a critic. The reviewer goes on about a "sanrio" type mascot, but completely overlooks the fact that the "struggling magical girl with long hair" is trying to kill it, while the other magical girl is threatening to kill the first magical girl for trying to kill it. In over 50% of the audience this set off warning signs that this wasn't your typical mahou shoujo anime, but the reviewer is completely oblivious to this, showing the inability to see beyond his own preconceptions.

ANN reviewers have a bad reputation and should have a bad reputation. Anyone can spot a classic after the fact, but a real critic can see potential from the beginning.
I get that. What I don't get is people saying (or implying) that they gave it a good rating because of it's popularity. I suppose it's possible that's the case, but there's no evidence to support that so why would anyone assume that?

Apr 13, 2013 9:30 PM
saxophone15 said:
I get that. What I don't get is people saying (or implying) that they gave it a good rating because of it's popularity. I suppose it's possible that's the case, but there's no evidence to support that so why would anyone assume that?

I don't think that anyone is saying that they gave it a good rating because it was popular. What they are saying is that they gave it a good rating because it was trying to be "artistic".

It gets back to the point that they are not reviewing, but rather acting like a bird bobbing their beak against the color red. Whether or not Hana no Aku is a masterpiece or not they were going to praise it because it was anti-moe, and that was exactly what they did. When critics become so predictable that you don't even need to read their critique, they have ceased to be critics and instead have been stereotypes. No one needs critics who state the obvious, we need critiques that help us to understand what could be good or not. ANN critics don't do that. They just state the obvious.

Apr 15, 2013 9:44 AM
"They just state the obvious"

Which is why their reviews of other anime are clearly the blatant examples of phony journalism. They believe that they must cater to the entire Western anime fandom and expect them to suck up to their guns because they know all.

Yuru Yuri is horrible? MAL rates in ~8.00/10.00 and they rate Aku no Hana the best possible when MAL rates it ~5.00/10.00. Arguably MAL prefers the art styles opposed to Aku no Hana, but you gotta admit, how is stating the obvious going to be a decisive factor in who is going to determine what's really quality anime and what's not? As I've said before, it's the WATCHER who determines if it's good or not, and not some objectively-thinking reviewer.

I bet Japanese anime critics give this positive regard and I appreciate the fact they would, but they also give positive regard to "moe" as well. ANN and their hipster followers aren't afraid to denounce all examples of "moe" possible. Hence, the Western anime fandom, especially in the journalism aspect is full of corruption and blatant bias.

PS: I'm a journalism major, so I'm well-aware that most dominant media sources, especially those in the West, HAVE to be biased to get a stronger reputation. I arguably am against that fact, though I can openly state my opinion based on what I'm seeing. I don't appreciate this corruption, even if it means making a big name for yourself. Call me crazy, but even my professor agrees with this.
Modified by Slatrix, Apr 15, 2013 9:53 AM

Apr 15, 2013 9:51 AM

Why did they judged/Rated an anime so fast ?
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told

Apr 15, 2013 10:51 AM
Koromo_Toshinou said:
They believe that they must cater to the entire Western anime fandom and expect them to suck up to their guns because they know all.

Despite my low opinion of ANN reviewers, I can honestly say that I do not believe they are changing their opinion to cater to western anime fandom, indeed they would probably go out of their way not to do this.

Why did they knock Yuri Yuri? Because it is moe, and they are too "enlightened" to like moe. Whey did they praise Aku no Hana? Because it was different, and everyone knows that "different" is "artistic".

Am I saying that they aren't biased? Of course not, everyone has some biases due to culture (one of the reasons they hate Moe is because of Political Correctness), but I do not believe this has anything to do with "catering".

Apr 15, 2013 11:07 AM

Koromo_Toshinou said:
I don't appreciate this corruption, even if it means making a big name for yourself. Call me crazy, but even my professor agrees with this.
I know this is beside the point, but I'd be scared if your professor wasn't against corruption.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh - Makes me sad to call myself Canadian.

Apr 15, 2013 11:53 AM
Takuan_Soho said:
Koromo_Toshinou said:
They believe that they must cater to the entire Western anime fandom and expect them to suck up to their guns because they know all.

Despite my low opinion of ANN reviewers, I can honestly say that I do not believe they are changing their opinion to cater to western anime fandom, indeed they would probably go out of their way not to do this.

Why did they knock Yuri Yuri? Because it is moe, and they are too "enlightened" to like moe. Whey did they praise Aku no Hana? Because it was different, and everyone knows that "different" is "artistic".

Am I saying that they aren't biased? Of course not, everyone has some biases due to culture (one of the reasons they hate Moe is because of Political Correctness), but I do not believe this has anything to do with "catering".

You're clearly missing the point. What I was saying was that they endorse "The Western Opinion" and expect those outside of that realm to agree with literally everything they say because they know anime. In other words, they're elitists just the same way Fox News reporters and the Wall Street Journal feel the constant need to spoonfeed the general population that reads their articles.

Furthermore, you didn't have to answer my question by stating the obvious as to why Anime X and Y are both bad and good respectively. That is what I find incorrect about Western Anime Journalism. Basically, that's the point I'm trying to compose; they're just going to look at one aspect of an anime whether it be art or whether it be plot, and they'll immediately make it seem as that the sole aspect is the entire anime, despite the fact that they do divide categories. Hence, they aren't even living up to the standards of knowing that anime is indeed multidimensional.

Yeah, they're biased all right. And I'm aware everyone has to be biased in some regard. But what irks me is that ANN's Review Team has the need to be conventionally correct based on either a). Their opinions, or b). Their "society's" opinions. Then they have to preach it to the entire anime community and claim that only their opinions are right, and that there is no other possible way to see Anime X and Y. Like I said, I'm not sure if catering is the right word for what I'm describing, but perhaps it's spoonfeeding unneeded words to create conformists to their reviews and beliefs. That to me, creates conventionalist corruption on their part. Nothing else but that. You can't rationalize on the fact that this practice alone can't be biased and narcissistic enough.

Apr 15, 2013 12:09 PM

Just now I have been re-watching Episode 1 of Yuru Yuri.

There is no question that it is a masterpiece. Everything has been done right. I could
go on and on. It is a notable example of excellence in its genre.

On the other hand, I live in The West. If I am writing a review for ANN and if I think
that people can guess who I really am, there is NO WAY that I am going to write a
positive review for Yuru Yuri. It just is not an option.

Here in The West, it is very easy for us to admire Aku no Hana, given our cultural
values. I don't want to use the phrase "political correctness" but ... oops, too late!
If you look closely at Aku no Hana, there is nothing in it that goes against the sense
of right and wrong of typical people here. Yes, there is this Grade 8 boy that is
acting like a pervert. Then he is immediately racked by guilt and punished from all
sides. Also, Aku no Hana looks very "arty" and "deep". In addition, it refers to a
book of poetry by Baudelaire, and of course 99% of people are running for
Wikipedia to figure out who he is. So that is enough to tip the scales to make us
conclude that Aku no Hana is a masterpiece, and obviously the best of this season.

Anyways, to come to a clear conclusion, I love both equally.

Apr 15, 2013 12:11 PM

Late April Fools? I guess some people might call this anime like some type of abstract art in it's way that it chose to handle that manga. I don't know what it really is. It isn't for me though...

PLOT: Main character sees his crushes uniform on the floor, picks it up and takes it home. Does God knows what with it at home and cries about not doing it one purpose. Big headed girl wants to go to a mountain. One eyed flower appears.

"Ohhh, it's so good!" is what some people might say. It's all opinion. Maybe some people who love it so much, also sniffed their crush's gym uniform and suffered a lifetime of guilt from it. Who knows?
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."

Apr 15, 2013 9:55 PM

Koromo_Toshinou said:
I bet Japanese anime critics give this positive regard and I appreciate the fact they would, but they also give positive regard to "moe" as well. ANN and their hipster followers aren't afraid to denounce all examples of "moe" possible. Hence, the Western anime fandom, especially in the journalism aspect is full of corruption and blatant bias.
Not sure about the corruption part (corruption means they are getting material benefits to write what they write, I guess?) but I can totally agree with "blatant bias" part for western anime fandom. The willful dislike of "moe" with the accompanying half-baked theories about how moe destroys anime or how anime can sell just by putting moe in is just one very prominent example, and it is clearly spreading bias and mistaken view about Japanese anime and its consumers in Japan. The fact that they pose themselves as proper critics coming from a major site and that they know anime well is aggravating the problem even more.

Koromo_Toshinou said:
What I was saying was that they endorse "The Western Opinion" and expect those outside of that realm to agree with literally everything they say because they know anime. In other words, they're elitists just the same way Fox News reporters and the Wall Street Journal feel the constant need to spoonfeed the general population that reads their articles.
I can agree that they sound "elitist" and clearly try to influence the opinion of the vast western anime fandom. "The Western Opinion" you said they endorse may not be really the western opinion but it is an opinion that they want to be looked at as THE western opinion. I believe they are proud that this opinion is so different from the popular view in Japan, even though oftentimes they do not understand why a certain anime is made the way it is because the target is the consumers in Japan and the premise is based solely on the anime/manga/game/LN culture established over time in Japan.

Koromo_Toshinou said:
Basically, that's the point I'm trying to compose; they're just going to look at one aspect of an anime whether it be art or whether it be plot, and they'll immediately make it seem as that the sole aspect is the entire anime, despite the fact that they do divide categories. Hence, they aren't even living up to the standards of knowing that anime is indeed multidimensional.
I think this is one VERY BIG problem with how western fans view anime. And it is a problem in places ranging from those self-declared critics in those anime sties or blogs to casually written comments or reviews often seen in this forum - the failure to see or appreciate anime in multiple angles, levels and dimensions. So if the plot somehow does not make sense to them (even though some may be due to cultural differences) they would declare the anime as worthless and people who love it or buy its discs to be just fanboys who do not use their brains, while the fact is they got over obsessed with the idea that an overarching plot has to be there for an anime to be "worthy" which is probably never something that the anime production nor its fans in Japan are going after after all.

Koromo_Toshinou said:
what irks me is that ANN's Review Team has the need to be conventionally correct based on either a). Their opinions, or b). Their "society's" opinions. Then they have to preach it to the entire anime community and claim that only their opinions are right, and that there is no other possible way to see Anime X and Y.
The key words of the problem is how they claim "that only their opinions are right, and that there is no other possible way to see Anime X and Y." and this is not just the issue with ANN. A lot of anime blogs or forums in western anime fandom holds this kind of self-centric and elitist views. But in ANN's case it is a lot more regrettable because of ANN's highly visible position within the western fandom. Such bias for such sites is truly a bane and a huge disservice to the anime industry and fandom as a whole.

Anyway, just for disclosure: I love Yuru Yuri myself. I bought the manga before it was animated. I bought all the BDs of both seasons. I think Yuru Yuri is one of the best works coming out of its genre. For Aku no Hana, I can only say that the production is dragged down by the animation of the characters, and it is a price paid by the compromise decision made by the director for taking this project (since he really wanted to adapt it in a live action drama not an animation). I do not think it makes sense to compare the two because their approaches and target audience are entirely different. The expectation and the angles I would take to approach the two anime would be entirely different too, and I think it is only fair and commonsense to be so.
Modified by symbv, Apr 15, 2013 11:31 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.

Apr 15, 2013 10:36 PM
Well after seeing 2 episodes, I think it's amazing! I'm glad it's getting positive reviews since so many fans on here seem to dislike it just because it uses rotoscoping. The style is what makes the show good and sets it apart. Do this in a moe style and it would be extremely average. But with the rotoscoping, you're essentially watching real people act out these roles and that makes it powerful.

Apr 15, 2013 11:05 PM

Here is a recent article about the animation in Aku no Hana:

http://altairandvega.wordpress.com/2013/04/13/aku_no_hana_animation/

I really enjoyed reading this article. It seems fair and informative, including quite a lot
of interesting technical detail. One thing that they make clear is that it is not JUST the
employment of rotoscoping that characterizes their animation method. There is a
lot more to the story. They made certain choices in their procedures for a combination
of artistic and economic reasons.

My own point of view is that, together, the manga artist, producers and director have
come together with the correct decisions about how to make the show:

1. There was a major price to be paid in terms of irritating a lot of viewers with some
features of the animation. Some people will call it "poor animation" or "rotoscoping",
but I encourage people to try to understand that article.

2. There was a major gain to be realized in terms of the dramatic potential of the
method that they used. After just two episodes I don't feel confident to speak with
great confidence. However, a lot of people have commented positively on how the
characters seem real and alive. Let's see if this will be skillfully exploited in the
episodes to follow.

3. They were taking a big gamble by using a completely different method than
anything that had been done before in anime. So all of the "rules of thumb" that
would apply to the production of an anime series could not be trusted.

4. They took another gamble by making a lot of noise in order to attract interest
and create controversy. My impression is that they pushed very far in this
direction.

5. I don't know what the production costs were and I don't know how much money
will come in, including Blu-ray sales. However, I am getting a very strong impression
that these people are highly competent. So my guess is that the business decisions
that they have made are correct, and this will be a success.
Modified by okanagan, Apr 15, 2013 11:18 PM

Apr 15, 2013 11:24 PM

okanagan said:
Here is a recent article about the animation in Aku no Hana:

http://altairandvega.wordpress.com/2013/04/13/aku_no_hana_animation/

I really enjoyed reading this article. It seems fair and informative, including quite a lot
of interesting technical detail. One thing that they make clear is that it is not JUST the
employment of rotoscoping that characterizes their animation method. There is a
lot more to the story. They made certain choices in their procedures for a combination of artistic and economic reasons.
The key premise of the article is stated at the beginning and it reflects my most major concern and criticism about this series, so let me quote it here:
"I stand by the artistic decision to rotoscope. What I do not support, however, is how poorly the rotoscoping was executed. It shows a distinct lack of experience and laziness in the use of the technique. This post hopes to explain exactly where and why the show’s animation fails on a technical level. "

At the end, for an anime fan an anime fails and succeeds on a very big extent on the animation quality. And I believe it is fair for someone to drop an anime on the merit of its animation even if its other aspects (story, music or directing) excel (and there is no consensus about whether Aku no Hana indeed excels at those other aspects).

The anime BD/DVD sales ranking is now at the bottom of a deep pit and it is unclear whether it will sell even 1k copies. However, it is clear that this anime is a "success" in terms of grabbing attention. And for this season where the competition has been extremely fierce it is quite a great achievement. It succeeds in getting the general fandom to be aware of the manga. At the end its success (or failure) will be judged on how this stunt reflects on the sale of the manga (I don't think anything good would come out of any merchandising). And if it wins the director or the studio some anime awards, all the better. But in terms of sales, it will be miserable. That's for certain.
Modified by symbv, Apr 16, 2013 12:25 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.

Apr 15, 2013 11:37 PM

Great article there. I have said it before, what's bad is not rotoscope technique, what's make this anime bad is the shitty animation studio. They are lazy. They are incompetent.

I like the the 3rd conclusion the most : Don't lie.
Don't lie, dammit.
Even if somehow it's good at other aspect, the lazy and shitty animation makes it doesn't worth more than 5/10.

Apr 16, 2013 8:12 AM

Seriously, this show is unique it's not that typical short-airing anime, we should give it some time 'til it finished airing then judge it !!

Apr 16, 2013 9:06 AM
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2011-01-04/zac

The image posted above excluded the part where he actually praises the show.

Apr 16, 2013 9:14 AM
Trisection said:

Which is why he'll never be satisfied with anything we'll get. Wonder what his MAL account is on here, seems like someone easy to troll.

Apr 16, 2013 9:20 AM

symbv said:

"I stand by the artistic decision to rotoscope. What I do not support, however, is how poorly the rotoscoping was executed. It shows a distinct lack of experience and laziness in the use of the technique. This post hopes to explain exactly where and why the show’s animation fails on a technical level. "

Quoted for Truth.

Trisection said:

OOT, I think I laughed a bit at seeing (Again) his review of Madoka.

Story: whaaaaatever
Visuals: 5

In terms of plot, this is no different from your standard “late night magical girl show” where there's obnoxious loli fanservice in the opening credits (although surprisingly none in the episode itself) and the characters are mostly pasted-together moe archetypes. The story here is predictable, and it seems like they're taking a lot of cues from the last big “serious business” magical-girl-show-aimed-at-otaku, Nanoha. Normally I don't like this kind of thing.

I have to assume that it's the hand of director Akiyuki Shinbo, whose stuff I also don't usually like, but the man is known for trying some crazy things visually and whatever he's doing here, it works. It's exciting to see someone try something different. It's a little jarring to see the extremely generic character designs wandering around through all this artistic madness; I can't say I care one bit about the story or what's going on, and I can't say I'd watch more of the series unless I were fast-forwarding until all these elements start popping up again, but I'm more than happy to applaud even a glimmer of visual inventiveness.

That basically reconfirms the prime reasoning behind ANN reviews. Different = good. Loli/Moe in the show = Bad.

And one funny reminder of "DON'T REVIEW THE SERIES BY FIRST EPISODE ALONE"

Apr 16, 2013 9:28 AM

^ When a reviewer said he would fast-reward things for a work he reviews, it should set high alert to you as to what kind of reviewer he is like. Review by fast-forwarding and not caring a bit about things happening in it is not real reviewing as it is clear the person's heart is not there for the work he watches. And this is before we even talk about how abused the term "generic" is being thrown around to indicate negativeness and dismissiveness.

Apr 16, 2013 10:55 AM
zeroyuki92 said:
symbv said:

Quoted for Truth.

Trisection said:

OOT, I think I laughed a bit at seeing (Again) his review of Madoka.

Story: whaaaaatever
Visuals: 5

In terms of plot, this is no different from your standard “late night magical girl show” where there's obnoxious loli fanservice in the opening credits (although surprisingly none in the episode itself) and the characters are mostly pasted-together moe archetypes. The story here is predictable, and it seems like they're taking a lot of cues from the last big “serious business” magical-girl-show-aimed-at-otaku, Nanoha. Normally I don't like this kind of thing.

I have to assume that it's the hand of director Akiyuki Shinbo, whose stuff I also don't usually like, but the man is known for trying some crazy things visually and whatever he's doing here, it works. It's exciting to see someone try something different. It's a little jarring to see the extremely generic character designs wandering around through all this artistic madness; I can't say I care one bit about the story or what's going on, and I can't say I'd watch more of the series unless I were fast-forwarding until all these elements start popping up again, but I'm more than happy to applaud even a glimmer of visual inventiveness.

That basically reconfirms the prime reasoning behind ANN reviews. Different = good. Loli/Moe in the show = Bad.

And one funny reminder of "DON'T REVIEW THE SERIES BY FIRST EPISODE ALONE"

Hypocrisy and corruption are the two best words to describe ANN's reviewing policy. They want to reap the positive regard from all of their disciples without any altering opinion. Otherwise you're chided by them and their disciples.

symbv said:
^ When a reviewer said he would fast-reward things for a work he reviews, it should set high alert to you as to what kind of reviewer he is like. Review by fast-forwarding and not caring a bit about things happening in it is not real reviewing as it is clear the person's heart is not there for the work he watches. And this is before we even talk about how abused the term "generic" is being thrown around to indicate negativeness and dismissiveness.

Half of the time they even misuse words other than just "generic." I can't even point out the number of examples because there are so many.

Apr 16, 2013 10:57 AM

Wow they must have very very bad taste very bad
"Currently playing the Game of of Life"
Poppin Pills is All We Know - Antidote

Apr 16, 2013 11:21 AM

some one tell ANN April first was 2 weeks ago
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

Preview MangaManga Store