Forums

Apr 9, 2013 7:45 AM

>ANN

I don't care.

Apr 9, 2013 7:46 AM
1/ stop generalizing
2/ who gives a shit?

Apr 9, 2013 7:47 AM

ANN should stick with its Animenewsnetwork.

Only skimmed through a little of each because clearly tl;dr, but being different doesn't make it good.

/outb4bash

Apr 9, 2013 7:48 AM
As an anime, it's fine. It's unique. Call it whatever you want.

But as an adaptation... I think it's a little shameful.
I really hope Oshimi Shuuzou sends out a comment or something.

Apr 9, 2013 7:48 AM

They're just kidding I guess XD
Dear Shiina Mashiro! Best Wishes to us <3

Apr 9, 2013 7:51 AM

Advice: Ignore ANN, they should just stick with bringing out anime news, most of their reviews are terrible.

Apr 9, 2013 7:51 AM

So?, let it be

Apr 9, 2013 7:52 AM
I don't trust mainstream crony capitalist, overly biased, objective, conventional legions such as ANN.

I say it's shit and the worst anime of all time.

Apr 9, 2013 7:55 AM
they always review good anime with low score like they did with madoka, sao, guilty crown,,

Apr 9, 2013 7:58 AM

yunochi said:
they always review good anime with low score like they did with madoka, sao, guilty crown,,
IIRC they ended up giving Madoka a high score because of it's popularity haha

Apr 9, 2013 7:58 AM

Because it is a ''masterpiece'' 10/10
this thread though 1/10

Apr 9, 2013 7:59 AM

Good read. Really gave me another push towards loving it even more.

I am really excited about the show.
I showed it to my friends who are not much into anime (one even doesn't like it).

They all liked it a lot and the one who said he doesn't wanna watch anime even considered watching it.
It just tells you that this is not just your generic show you get every season and that'S why I like it.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXwerVFCY-50PTBnedey1PQ

Apr 9, 2013 8:12 AM
Just like there are people who showed their disdain for this first episode there will be people who voice their appreciation for it. The writers at ANN gave sound reasons for why they scored it like they did, so I don't see any problems.

Apr 9, 2013 8:16 AM

RyanSaotome said:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2013/the-spring-anime/zac
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2013/the-spring-anime/carl
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2013/the-spring-anime/rebecca

All gave it perfect scores.

How do you feel about this?
I never read much about ANN reviews because I find myself often not in agreement with their ratings, but anyway I took a look at the 3 previews and what I observe is that 1) all love the "realism" the art portrays 2) all appreciate the fact that it looks "different" 3) all compliment the mood and atmosphere and feel interested about the story (and the story is, oddly, the least controversial part for this anime, even given its fetish and bullying theme). And one even said he watched so much rotoscope animation that he now feels comfortable with it - I guess that takes away the most controversial part of the animation out of his equation of rating the anime. And the other one is interesting - she gave a top score even though she said "Not everyone will like this show. From a personal standpoint, I didn't. But it is one that should be given at least an episode before you form your opinion. Both uncomfortable and fascinating, Flowers of Evil is doing something different, and for that it deserves praise."
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.

Apr 9, 2013 9:23 AM

Bad publicity is good publicity.
>_> R.I.P Aku no Hana Anime.
I sure want to give them a good smacking.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 9, 2013 9:29 AM

I'm sorry, have you never BEEN an ANN? It's the anime equivalent of Fox News: FAIR AND BALANCED.

Everyone knew they would eat up Aku No Hana like the first mean in 10 days.

Apr 9, 2013 9:35 AM

DmonHiro said:
I'm sorry, have you never BEEN an ANN?

Well we've responded to eachother before ANN, so I think the answer to that question would be yes <_<

Apr 9, 2013 10:00 AM

DmonHiro said:
I'm sorry, have you never BEEN an ANN? It's the anime equivalent of Fox News: FAIR AND BALANCED.

I'm sorry but I hope this is a sarcastic statement xD

DmonHiro said:
Everyone knew they would eat up Aku No Hana like the first mean in 10 days.

I don't think it's much about corporate interest since they've put a lot of their credibility on the line here. This maybe is the result from year-after-year of watching generic anime. They just grab on to anything that is 'different'. Or maybe they have seen more episodes then we did and come to that conclusion. Either way, I'm even more interest to watch the next episode now.

Apr 9, 2013 10:04 AM

ThangLong said:
Or maybe they have seen more episodes then we did and come to that conclusion. Either way, I'm even more interest to watch the next episode now.
From what I read I don't get any feel that they are watching more than 1 episodes. But grabbing on anything that is "different" seems to be indeed one reason for their acclaim.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.

Apr 9, 2013 10:51 AM
I don't mind if they honestly, honestly enjoyed Aku no Hana anime... but it does piss me off if they call it the best of the season. That's rude to all those other anime of which some seem to give a LOT of effort towards quality.

Apr 9, 2013 11:11 AM

Suzie wrote:
but it does piss me off if they call it the best of the season.

Agreed. It is baseless and insulting. It is never appropriate to use the word
"best" when speaking about a broad category of art. So I agree with your
reaction.

I really liked Episode 1 of Aku no Hana. That is a fact that I can fairly state.
Modified by okanagan, Apr 9, 2013 11:59 AM

Apr 9, 2013 11:44 AM
so many butthurt fans quick to pounce on an "approving" thread.

while i respect that not everyone likes the 1st episode because of the animation, i just want to point out that i doubt the animation is going to change. so unless you finally accept that it is what it is. then you'll get butthurt week after week. (unless of course you secretly enjoy that)
"....i am the villain in this story"

Apr 9, 2013 11:53 AM

yunochi said:

But all those shows suck besides madoka.
The Art of Eight

Apr 9, 2013 12:28 PM

This anime so far really does remind me of the work of Richard Linklater or Pen-Ek Ratanaruang. I watched the first episode and I feel like I really need to watch it again to spot out its constitution, its allusions to hidden secrets lurking behind the pages read, its outside secrets hidden with the narrowest crooks down which the protagonist treads - I really need to watch this epiosde again, I so, so do. Best show of the season by far.
"Truth can always be found deep in the dungeon."
~ Balmung of the Azure Sky

Apr 9, 2013 12:29 PM
DmonHiro said:
I'm sorry, have you never BEEN an ANN? It's the anime equivalent of Fox News

You bet.

Apr 9, 2013 12:34 PM
Lily Gardener

2nd best of the season so far. Shingeki no Kyojin is the best of the season so far.

Apr 9, 2013 12:51 PM

>ANN
Don't care.
Also, calling something a masterpiece after one episode is just idiotic.

Apr 9, 2013 1:02 PM

OK... it was a rhetorical question. I meant that like if you had been there, and read their reviews and stuff, you would know that they would love Aku No Hana. I don't think it has anything to do with being corporate.

Apr 9, 2013 1:05 PM

RisingCascade said:
I don't trust mainstream crony capitalist, overly biased, objective, conventional legions such as ANN.

I say it's shit and the worst anime of all time.

this. if You think it's shit. It's shit.
Why worry what anyone else thinks.

Apr 9, 2013 1:11 PM
bitch please art is shit. Not the best.

Apr 9, 2013 1:13 PM

It's not surprising that ANN loves it. I expected it, but I don't care. If you like it, good for you. I can't stand ANN though especially certain members of the staff *cough* Zac *cough*

DmonHiro said:

Exactly. I like that comparison a lot actually.

Apr 9, 2013 1:13 PM

ANN is a place that's - at best - on par with Kotaku in terms of journalistic quality, so anything they say is just a fucking massive laugh fest because they are a bunch of morons (especially a certain Zac, who writes on a quality lower than sankaku and kotaku combined, I'm surprised he hasn't started bitching about how anime is sexist and feminism needs to overtake the evil Japanese empire...oh wait, he did that when he had a fucking aneurysm over loli while claiming everyone in Japan is a pedophile and a child rapist). This applies even when I agree with them - they are terrible at writing, getting a point across, 'saying' something, and they just say whatever will get them more views using click bait material, traffic directing words, and a bunch of fluff. They only gave this high ratings because it's different, so if we give it top scores we can be treated like artistic intellectual individuals, and anyone who hates it will still take the click bait and give them views, thus ad revenue, and thus more higher level ads from higher level companies like Funimation. Whether you like the show or not, what they wrote has 0 basis in the show's actual quality and all to do with it being something they can say they like to grab that niche fanbase while making those who dislike it post more and get the site more traffic. It's just a cheap journalistic ploy and, sadly, also one to get themselves more attention (again, especially in a certain one person's case - I'd say writer, but come on, the guy's a fucking joke. Really, just by mentioning him even in a negative way, I guess he succeeded in his goal of getting attention).

I tried reading all three, or even just a single one, but having paragraphs full of empty rhetoric made it just way too difficult to sit through. A perfect showcase of how NOT to right a review, not to mention it makes it clear they don't genuinely like the show at all - or else they'd have more good to say about it than paragraphs of literally entirely empty words followed by B-B-B-BUT THE ART IS DIFFERENT!
Modified by TallonKarrde23, Apr 9, 2013 1:26 PM

Apr 9, 2013 1:29 PM

In short, MAL hates ANN.
Both parties agree to dislike each other and will actively go against eachother.

So in regards to opinions on ANN's high review of a highly under-rated anime barraged by legions of 1/10's, good on them for getting more people to watch it and have their own opinions on the style or so called "lack of style."

Apr 9, 2013 1:39 PM

Discoun7 said:
In short, MAL hates ANN.
Both parties agree to dislike each other and will actively go against eachother.

So in regards to opinions on ANN's high review of a highly under-rated anime barraged by legions of 1/10's, good on them for getting more people to watch it and have their own opinions on the style or so called "lack of style."

The problem is they claim their "opinion" on a style is a preview of a show. It's not, it's an opinion on one aspect of a show. Not to mention they don't actually say anything about why it's their opinion. All three pretty much just summarized the events of the episode and threw in OH THE ART IS DIFFERENT SO THAT MAKES IT GREAT at the end with nothing backing it up and no reasoning given - while also ignoring every other aspect of the show entirely. It's just click bait, attention whoring, and trying to go against the grain to pretend to feel something "controversial" (although they can't explain why it is or why they feel it's good) in a medium where thinking anything is controversial is just hilarious. Whether you like the show or not, you shouldn't defend their awful writing on it. As stated below this shit isn't even their personal actual opinion, it's forced bullshit. Not to mention they all clearly state the idea of "it's different so it deserves praise" which is just entirely objectively bullshit.
Modified by TallonKarrde23, Apr 9, 2013 2:29 PM

Apr 9, 2013 2:25 PM

Rebecca Silverman's preview makes no sense. It almost seems like she felt obligated to give it a high score. She even says that she didn't like it!

"Not everyone will like this show. From a personal standpoint, I didn't. But it is one that should be given at least an episode before you form your opinion. Both uncomfortable and fascinating, Flowers of Evil is doing something different, and for that it deserves praise."

WHAT.

Edit: symbv mentioned her review too on the first page.

Apr 9, 2013 2:27 PM

PlumJuice said:

He did. He supports the anime.

Apr 9, 2013 2:51 PM
Mormegil said:
Rebecca Silverman's preview makes no sense. It almost seems like she felt obligated to give it a high score. She even says that she didn't like it!

"Not everyone will like this show. From a personal standpoint, I didn't. But it is one that should be given at least an episode before you form your opinion. Both uncomfortable and fascinating, Flowers of Evil is doing something different, and for that it deserves praise."

Yeah that's just pathetic! As if just doing random things that are different than the norm EQUALS, without exception, a masterpiece. Get it together, sucky reviewers! I do agree that one's preferences towards a series can be put aside for the sake of an objective review, but at least provide explanation as to why the series should be called good!

Apr 9, 2013 3:16 PM

PlumJuice said:

It's not. Mind Game did the whole rotoscoping much better with fitting backgrounds, and it's old as hell.

Apr 9, 2013 3:18 PM

Solvite said:
PlumJuice said:

I believe he wanted to make the Manga more like the Anime's style.
the progeny of a dropped colony

Apr 9, 2013 3:19 PM

YorozuyaGinSan said:
Solvite said:
PlumJuice said:

I believe he wanted to make the Manga more like the Anime's style.

Here is a very shortened summary of the interview again for you guys. It's pretty hard to find amongst this shitstorm :P

http://ternalnodorei.tumblr.com/post/47253390024/at-first-nagahama-the-director-refused-the

Apr 9, 2013 3:40 PM

RyanSaotome said:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2013/the-spring-anime/zac
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2013/the-spring-anime/carl
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2013/the-spring-anime/rebecca

All gave it perfect scores.

How do you feel about this?

Let me ask?

"You're are surprise by this? For real?"

Bitch, please. Don't aid to polemicize this whole shit even more.

Apr 9, 2013 4:06 PM

Its nice, objective unbiased people can appreciate it more.

I dont give a dam abut rating anyway. Hence I dont even waste my time rating anime here ion MAL. Pointless.

Stuartxtr7 said:
>ANN
Don't care.
Also, calling something a masterpiece after one episode is just idiotic.

Wish this kind of thinking would apply to any and all anime and all and any fan.

Apr 9, 2013 4:15 PM

Paul said:
ANN should stick with its Animenewsnetwork.

Only skimmed through a little of each because clearly tl;dr, but being different doesn't make it good.

/outb4bash

Monde11 said:
Advice: Ignore ANN, they should just stick with bringing out anime news, most of their reviews are terrible.

symbv said:
ThangLong said:
Or maybe they have seen more episodes then we did and come to that conclusion. Either way, I'm even more interest to watch the next episode now.
From what I read I don't get any feel that they are watching more than 1 episodes. But grabbing on anything that is "different" seems to be indeed one reason for their acclaim.

/thread
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told

Apr 9, 2013 4:33 PM

"Oshimi: He guarantees that those who feel very strongly about Aku no hana will enjoy the anime. However, chara-moe types, those who go “Nakamura-san, unf unf” will probably feel betrayed. "

XD

Apr 9, 2013 4:34 PM

well i agree

i didnt read the manga and i am no Anime Hipster^^

I love the Art and the Start of this Story and i havent seen a Horror
Anime in a while which gave me this chills.

I'm looking forward for the next episode and excuse my english^^

PS: I dont think Ratings of short Animes before they are finished are good so maybe the people who dont give a shit about this Ratings by ANN shouldnt rate themself here on MAL^^

Apr 9, 2013 4:42 PM

Haha, look at all the hate in this thread.

For the first time, I absolutely agree with ANN. Really strong reviews.

Apr 9, 2013 4:57 PM

Kiku-chan said:

You say "really strong reviews" but where is the strength or the review? None of the three posts linked actually explain their feelings - they just say some basic empty statements without giving any meat to it. This is objectively bad writing.

Apr 9, 2013 5:06 PM

TallonKarrde23 said:

You say "really strong reviews" but where is the strength or the review? None of the three posts linked actually explain their feelings - they just say some basic empty statements without giving any meat to it. This is objectively bad writing.

I agree that it's bad writing. However, I share their sentiment, and I believe you don't ;)

Your analysis about their writing in the last page is pretty thorough. I don't think there is more to be said is it? ^_^

Apr 9, 2013 5:06 PM

TallonKarrde23 said:
Kiku-chan said:

Before I get started I want to say I like Aku no Hana.

These reviews are so empty though it's almost laughable, it feels like they almost went against the hate to try and draw the minority crowd in. They are not doing well so it would probably be a good marketing ploy. That's just my assumption though.

Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

Preview MangaManga Store