Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 20, 2008 1:35 PM

Jan 2008
Is the English dub for this series any good, or should I definitely just watch it original Japanese?

I usually give dubs a chance since I know quite a few English ones that I enjoy, but I thought I'd check to see what people here had to say. Thanks!
Dec 20, 2008 1:50 PM

Aug 2007
Go with the dub, it's definitely good enough. I'm about 8 episodes through Mushishi on english voices and it sounds just fine.

Also, if you don't know where to find them, just go to hulu.com and search for the show. They've got all the dubbed episodes of Mushishi up there legally and free, in pretty good quality.
JG_WezzDec 20, 2008 1:57 PM
Dec 20, 2008 4:01 PM

Jul 2008
I watch both and find them of equal quality. So really it just depends on if you want to read subs or not.
Dec 20, 2008 4:21 PM

Jan 2008
Okay, awesome. :) Glad to know it's a good dub.

I think I'll watch the original first and then re-watch it in English with my boyfriend who's lazy and doesn't like to read. xD
Dec 24, 2008 12:49 AM

Aug 2008
Hahaha... I feel that the voices doesn't play that much into the anime... it's more like translations has a lot more of weight in the anime understanding and enjoyment than the voice acting... the sounds in this anime, at least for me play such a little role that you kinda leave them aside for a moment and just enjoy the philosophical meaning of each episode mushi and rejoice yourself with the nice view the anime has...

I personally watch it in a Spanish dub and I really like it... as I mentioned before... I like it due to the philosophy it supports and the nice view... Ginko is a plus undoubtedly... :P Watch and tell us what is better... Dubbed or Subbed?

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 24, 2008 6:40 AM

Jan 2008
Actually I totally understand what you mean rebwaters, the same thought hit me as I was getting farther into the series.

Unlike some anime where the characters need a strong voice to support the emotional spectrum, I find that in Mushishi the mood is always pretty laid back and peaceful, and I don't think you could really 'mess up' the voicework. None of the characters really call for strong acting, if you know what I mean. There's some intense situations to be sure, but not on the level of more multifaceted shows.

Due to that, it's exactly as you said in the fact that the philosophy, and background music, and artwork that are the true strengths of the show. The voices are just something to get the messages across, so I'm a little excited to rewatch it in English since I can pay more attention to the animation and details that time around. ^^
Dec 24, 2008 10:42 PM

Aug 2008
Yay you understood me :P... Yeah I totally agree with you... Now I'll watch later in the original seiyuu work.. What surprises does the anime have for me if I decide to watch in the original audio...

Oh Yesterday I watched episode 8 taking a lil' bit more attention into the sounds and I was mesmerized to hear the wave sounds... they were so lively.. so nice.. I was so impressed that I enjoyed a lot more the episode...

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2018 8:07 PM
Jun 2016
I've seen the dub, and the later seasons subbed (because they don't have a dub). I have to say, that the dub is definitely the better version. Mushishi is a slow and pensive series and because of that, a dub suits that viewing experience better. Subtitles add a barrier between the viewer and the anime that makes it harder to relax while watching it and that's opposite to the purpose of the work.

The only demerit against the dub is the fact that the new seasons are not dubbed. But with that said, if given the choice between watching only the first season dubbed, and watching all of it subbed, I'd gladly chose the former.

I'd understand if people watch the sub for this, but the dub is DEFINITELY better and probably worth sacrificing the chance to watch the sequels.
Sep 6, 2020 11:57 PM
Aug 2020
NEVER watch dubbed . It's the same as listening to 'cover' bands
Feb 28, 2021 4:27 AM
May 2018
and dont read the subs, learn the japanese language because most of it is lost in translation

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

174 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 13, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 4, 2008

132 by GeneraalKV2 »»
Mar 13, 1:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.