Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2013 4:33 PM

Jun 2009
It's actually good though. Plebs don't understand.
Apr 7, 2013 4:34 PM

Jan 2013
It wont matter, once people realize the show revolves around the MC not being able to decide which girl he likes, it will be labeled as generic.

The only reason anyone is defending it is because none of the story has actually been shown yet, besides people walking down the street.
Apr 7, 2013 4:43 PM
Apr 2011
Solvite said:
It wont matter, once people realize the show revolves around the MC not being able to decide which girl he likes, it will be labeled as generic.

The only reason anyone is defending it is because none of the story has actually been shown yet, besides people walking down the street.

The worst part is: We won't have Saeki or Nakamura PVC figures because of the huge negative backlash
Apr 7, 2013 4:48 PM

Feb 2008
ravagestorm said:
Solvite said:

The worst part is: We won't have Saeki or Nakamura PVC figures because of the huge negative backlash

Nah, they'll probably make two versions of them, with manga and anime designs haha.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 7, 2013 4:52 PM
Apr 2011
ZetaZaku said:
ravagestorm said:
Solvite said:

Nah, they'll probably make two versions of them, with manga and anime designs haha.

Hot Toys and Medicom are probably the only companies capable of making the live action version. So no live action Beach Queens and Figmas.
Apr 7, 2013 4:52 PM

Jul 2012
I agree with most of what you're saying. The series is so negatively looked at in most because the art is just hard to look at. It's not your typical same-face type of anime. The characters look human. They went for, obviously, a rotoscope method.

But I feel like the directors made a mistake in this. No one is going to watch this because of the art. Everyone will end up missing out in the story it has to create and instead just drop it because it's just bad to look at.

But, what bothers me the most, are people who blame others for dropping it because of it's 'unconventional art style'. These people who make this assumptions honestly don't believe there are any other anime shows that differ from your typical anime style, big eyes and all. Look at anime like Detective Conan, which is a good example of a show with unconventional art style. I see tons of threads about people whom enjoy the show, and still watch it, despite not having your typical anime style.

Aku no Hana? No. The style is just, to say, bad. There are so many other routes it could've gone for. But instead, they chose rotoscope. And do you know how many people have called those for dropping the show based on the art style 'racist'? Maybe some of them didn't like the art style for making Japanese people look --- well --- Japanese, but its just plain unattractive. It reminds me too much of a western cartoon, rather than a Japanese animation.

So in all, I don't blame anyone for dropping it based on the looks. I mean, the manga looks SO much more different. The characters should've looked like what they looked like in the manga. I think then people who appreciate what the anime had to offer.

For the future episodes, I'm curious if they're going to continue the rotoscope-method or they might dice it up in a few episodes. That'd be funny.
Apr 7, 2013 4:53 PM

Apr 2012
I've read the manga all the way up to it's current chapter before seeing the anime adaption and it made my eyes bleed. I think most people who bash others for disliking the animation fail to understand that it's bad period. I've only seen one person say the animation is great, others say it's 'unique' why? Because that's the only way they can praise the horrible rotoscoping, by claiming it's uniqueness.

I don't mind rotoscoping when it's done properly. I don't mind a series being realistic if it fits with the atmosphere of the plot and it's not done poorly. The backgrounds are beautiful but the characters themselves make me cry inside. Especially at times when faces disappear or background characters are at a stand still in odd poses.

I also believe the 'hipster' hype will die down as the series goes on. I can tell you now it will be very slow paced and the action and thrill probably won't pick up until the last couple of episodes. I really love the plot of the manga so I'm going to deal with the animation to see how they execute the story. There are also some strange and sometimes controversial scenes, and I want to see how the director will handle them.
Apr 8, 2013 3:27 AM

May 2012
Solvite said:

We will see, the execution matters. So far its not going to the generic version which would have been the typical cookie cutter style.

I have loved and watched plenty "MC not being able to decide which girl he likes" but I am nauseated by its usual generic execution nowadays.

So you want to get our hopes down? Sorry to burst your bubble, the anime will do so and we will decide for ourselves not because you say it.

Unlike other fans, we are not going oh this is godly, awesome, best of the season, no, we keep our feet well placed on the ground in this case, so far this is only interesting and we are praising the effort to try something different. If it works or not we will find out soon.

Also you are very obsessed with letting us know that this is not a psychological thriller, fact is most of us dont know what the hell it is, and I have yet to see anyone stating having any expectations for being a psychological anime, let alone "psychological thriller". So far we are attracted by the animation, chara style primarily, ( creepy -atmosphere- too ), the very same thing you hate.

You need to do better to demoralize us toward this when our expectation were low to none to begin with only to be pleasantly surprised and yours were evidently high and shattered.
9988Apr 8, 2013 3:35 AM
Apr 8, 2013 4:36 AM

Oct 2007
Jigglehpoof said:
I agree with most of what you're saying. The series is so negatively looked at in most because the art is just hard to look at. It's not your typical same-face type of anime. The characters look human. They went for, obviously, a rotoscope method.
Too bad they look like 40 year olds. It's worse than "same-face type of anime" because while it pretends to be realistic, it can't even display their age properly, not to mention having anything resembling details or natural animation (latter occurs because they can't rotoscope at all). The only thing that isn't absolutely terrible about visual part of AnH are backgrounds and even those are nothing special. About plot - there's none, that's the problem. First chapter had much more story than fist episode and if anything, it should be other way around.
Apr 8, 2013 9:35 AM
Feb 2012
Pffft, even SAO tops this. Flame me all you want but it's how I feel.

No I don't need hipsters telling me I'm missing out, OK? OK.
Apr 8, 2013 9:57 AM

Mar 2011
Progeusz said:
Too bad they look like 40 year olds.

Yes and every character looking like they're 12 years old in every anime ever is so much better.
Apr 12, 2013 4:12 PM

Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
But as is the case with the "art for art sake" crowd, it remains to be seen whether they are truly artists or are merely hacks seeking profit through manipulation. Should be fun .to find out. Should be more fun to watch to see if they continue to seek to manipulate the audience

I think that's exactly what the staff thought. Baudelaire (the author of the flowers of evil) was a supporter of the art for art's sake, so they probably wanted to remain faithful to his philosophy by making the art less attractive so that the show seems less commercially driven.
Apr 12, 2013 4:30 PM

Nov 2011
As someone who hates moe and generic anime art and really loves unique art, I have to say that I wasn't too happy with the chosen art. It felt like they just took live people, filmed them, and filtered it to make it look like animation- Which probably is what they did, considering the way they move. The framerate is inconsistent and choppy at times.

It just makes me wonder why they didn't just go ahead and make it live action. It probably would have been more successful in it's approach had they just gone with live action.

That being said, the atmosphere and backgrounds were fantastic and damn that ending theme. I kept lowering the volume and made sure not to full screen it just because I was afraid something was going to jump out at me.
Apr 12, 2013 5:34 PM

Dec 2012
^ I like the way you think Amberleh. I've asked that question myself. But come to think of it, Live Action and Anime are different animal. It's the producer of the manga who chose animation, so they have to roll with it.

If you read my little write-up for ep2, I believe that the director could have done better with the character design since he had the money to do so. However, I theorized that he must have done it in purpose to create a unique animation style.
Apr 12, 2013 6:11 PM

Oct 2012
According to this, Aku no Hana is the ONLY anime ever to have been made
using rotoscoping:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Rotoscoping

Apart from anime, they gives lots of examples of other things that WERE
made using rotoscoping.

Could it really be the case that there has not been a rotoscoped anime
prior to Aku no Hana?
Apr 12, 2013 6:44 PM

Jan 2008
okanagan said:
According to this, Aku no Hana is the ONLY anime ever to have been made
using rotoscoping:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Rotoscoping

Apart from anime, they gives lots of examples of other things that WERE
made using rotoscoping.

Could it really be the case that there has not been a rotoscoped anime
prior to Aku no Hana?

Japanese Wikipedia says that Aku no Hana is the first anime to be fully rotoscoped, but rotoscoping has been used for portions of anime before. Just recently I spotted a tiny bit of rotoscoping in the final episode of Marginal Prince (which sucks btw, don't watch it).
Apr 12, 2013 7:17 PM

Nov 2011
ThangLong said:
^ I like the way you think Amberleh. I've asked that question myself. But come to think of it, Live Action and Anime are different animal. It's the producer of the manga who chose animation, so they have to roll with it.

If you read my little write-up for ep2, I believe that the director could have done better with the character design since he had the money to do so. However, I theorized that he must have done it in purpose to create a unique animation style.

Thanks Thang =D

You know what they say, great minds think alike.

@ Okanagan and Thang- In general rotoscoping always looks a bit odd to me, but Aku no Hana's just feels particularly lazy. As others were saying, the issue is that they don't bother to use shading. In addition, the backgrounds are SO GORGEOUS that the characters just stick out like sore thumbs in comparison. Then again many other anime are guilty of this *Cough KEY works cough*

@ Umeko- AHHAH Oh God, the epitome of using hair color to differentiate characters. It's like a throwback to the 90's.
Apr 12, 2013 11:38 PM
Apr 2011
Rotoscoping could be a decent style for anime version of Jisatsu Circle(Suicide Club) or Forbidden Siren.
Apr 13, 2013 12:24 AM
Mar 2009
I had a great day at my job, which is uncommon.

Then, since it's Friday, there's a new episode of Aku no Hana, which makes this a great day.

After my episode, I had the good idea to discuss it on MAL. Now I regret it so much.

What I like the most here, is how some persons INSIST that the art is bad, and that people are wrong for liking it. Cause it's bad. They can't legitimately like this, it's so bad! "I must prove them that they are WRONG!"
Closest thing in my mind when I saw this, is like the catholic church saying that gay people shouldn't marry. Cause gay is wrong. Like, you know, disgusting. Naaa, that can't be right.
The more you say it won't make it more true. (About Aku no Hana quality or your position on gay mariage.)

There will still be persons who like it, and actually, it's almost like we are being persecuted. Oh, that's an exaggeration, I know. But on this forum, it's like the persons who legitimately like this anime can't say their opinion without being shamed, when they only want to talk about it. And in the end, they end up being called hipsters. Cause no one liked what hipsters liked before the trend came. Fucking no one. Half of the world's art community was STARVING before they came.
Yeah, totally plausible.

I also find it strange that for people (on this site I assume mostly americans) who are so open on another culture, they are so closed to the way it express itself. They like it, but only when it comes seasoned in a particular way.

You have to broaden your horizon, guys.
Apr 13, 2013 1:19 AM

Jan 2011
Tonyy55 said:
I also find it strange that for people (on this site I assume mostly americans) who are so open on another culture, they are so closed to the way it express itself. They like it, but only when it comes seasoned in a particular way.

HA it's not an American thing. As if this is the only stubborn culture. Joke. You lost all respect and credibility in your comment bc of that fyi.

But on topic, is your idea of broadening your horizons in the sub culture of anime? You do this by watching something you normally wouldn't watch ie genre. Stomaching this shit "art" (it's not even art) coupled with a slow story is torture to the majority. I'll enjoy the story through the manga. You keep broadening your horizons with the rotoscoping fail that is the anime.
Apr 13, 2013 1:21 AM

Feb 2012
IZEROII said:
Tonyy55 said:

HA it's not an American thing. As if this is the only stubborn culture. Joke. You lost all respect and credibility in your comment bc of that fyi.

But on topic, if this is your idea of broadening your horizons in the sub culture of anime? You do this by watching something you normally wouldn't watch ie genre. Stomaching this shit "art" (it's not even art) coupled with a slow story is torture to the majority. I'll enjoy the story through the manga. You keep broadening your horizons with the rotoscoping fail that is the anime.

I like, how you prove his point
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Apr 13, 2013 1:29 AM

Jan 2011
Nucksen said:

Ohhh you zinged me there. Pff. Whatever works for you Aku no Hana's #1 supporter.
Apr 13, 2013 1:35 AM

Feb 2012
IZEROII said:
Nucksen said:

Ohhh you zinged me there. Pff. Whatever works for you Aku no Hana's #1 supporter.

sorry for not being an anime graphics whore
Apr 13, 2013 1:46 AM

Jan 2011
Nucksen said:
IZEROII said:
Nucksen said:

sorry for not being an anime graphics whore

sorry for liking "quality" art and design in 2013.

Apr 13, 2013 1:52 AM

Feb 2012
IZEROII said:

I really like, how you guys always take the same 3-4 still frames from episode one, because the other thousands wouldn't prove your point
Apr 13, 2013 1:58 AM

Sep 2012
Nucksen said:
IZEROII said:

I really like, how you guys always take the same 3-4 still frames from episode one, because the other thousands wouldn't prove your point

Well, thanks to their spamming of the same image, I got used to the art and animation faster, and I don't find it disturbing anymore.
Apr 13, 2013 2:11 AM

Jan 2011
Nucksen said:
IZEROII said:

Are you serious...

Any panel from the manga is more detailed than any screen cap from the anime. If you can disprove that then go ahead and use one the "thousands" of other frames that miraculously show off the wonder and beauty of this rotoscoping job.
Apr 13, 2013 2:25 AM

Feb 2012
IZEROII said:
Nucksen said:
IZEROII said:

Are you serious...

Any panel from the manga is more detailed than any screen cap from the anime. If you can disprove that then go ahead and use one the "thousands" of other frames that miraculously show off the wonder and beauty of this rotoscoping job.

"more details=better"

are YOU serious?

You don't have to answer, i know you are...and that's really sad.
Apr 13, 2013 4:39 AM

Jul 2009
Someone calling this art?

What I'm seeing is basically JUST tracing, sometimes very lazily too.

If there was a reason for people missing faces (The futility of face) or something along those lines, maybe. Same with the tracing, what's the reason beyond just trying to leave an impression?

Problem is, the impression it leaves is negative to fans of the manga. The impression it leaves is actually highest with people who dislike moe and will try and find any escape from that possible. Problem is, in the highly unrealistic world of (moe) anime (Even slice of life is bullshit compared to reality for the most part and we all know it), moe is a complementary for the most part. Is this show deep? Is the manga a masterpiece of nitty-gritty storytelling that calls out for traced human beings instead of stylized character?
Apr 13, 2013 5:43 AM

Mar 2008
Blá blá blá.... I will not repeat myself here, explaining one more time that actually, Aku no Hana's visuals and animation quality are better than expected.

Just want to make a commentary to denounce the bad faith of some here.

Just one perfect exemple:
Amarrez said:
I really do feel sorry for people who are doing their best to take this story seriously when you're presented with visuals such as:

I recommend anyone who is actually interested in the story or themes of the series to just read the manga. The source material isn't a masterpiece but it's many times better than this.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=584867&show=0#msg21374299

Now I ask, how long is this scene?
ZERO POINT THREE SECONDS, AT MAXIMUM.

Note the strategic pause... facepalm.

Zero point three is me being optimistic, the exact duration of the Sawa's movement must be zero point one five seconds (0.015). It's imperceptible if don't you pause the video.

Most images showing deformed characters are carefully chosen frames between animation frames. And ALL anime has it.

Don't fall for this idiot and ridiculous trick of people who want attention.
I fell into the trap, and I'll not let happen again.

Good exemples:

And much more.

greenmush said:
Man the story is so great why the heck did they have to screw up the animation so badly.

No, is not.
It's just a different style.
PaninaManinaApr 13, 2013 5:46 AM
Apr 13, 2013 5:55 AM

Mar 2008
NeoAnkara said:
So your point?

Credulous people are believing the anime is all deformed, when it is not.
After watching two episodes I realized that the twisted frames I saw here were frames within frames, which are not noticeable while watching.

Aku no Hana have bad animation? = Myth
Apr 13, 2013 6:00 AM

Apr 2010
If those are the good examples, I'd hate to see the bad ones.
Apr 13, 2013 6:02 AM

Mar 2012
I don't really have the art as the problem. What bother me the most is the pacing. It was slow and boring as hell and literaly in that 4 minutes before OP nothing happened.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 13, 2013 6:03 AM

Apr 2011

this made me laugh..

well, I wouldn't say that the animation is a masterpiece..
I would say it's unique..
Apr 13, 2013 6:11 AM

Nov 2012

Apr 13, 2013 6:12 AM

Feb 2008
Aside from faceless moments, it looks good. I'd rather watch more stuff like this than stuff like this:

Apr 13, 2013 6:14 AM

Jun 2009
This won't stop the trolls. They are trolls for a reason.
Apr 13, 2013 6:15 AM

Nov 2012
ZetaZaku said:

Is this one for real?!

Apr 13, 2013 6:19 AM

Feb 2008
Ellamenopea said:
ZetaZaku said:

Is this one for real?!

Sadly yes. Death Note looks bad. Does that mean it's the worst thing? I mean, Code Geass and Mirai Nikki look worse than Aku no Hana and people love it for some reason. On the other hand Guilty Crown looks good and...it's not good.

Apr 13, 2013 6:29 AM

Apr 2012
The thing is the characters fail to express the proper emotions and they sound track tries to make up for it which makes the atmosphere it's trying to build up seem heavy handed. It's trying too hard to make up for the lack of emotion in the characters. Combine that with terrible pacing and the complaints about the anime are quite legit.

There's a lot the show does right, but the choppy, jerky animation and art style are completely wrong. And while those things can be overcome, in this case it's obscuring the visual cues to such an extent that a ton of impact is lost. Your examples don't do anything to disprove that. Just look at those faces, there's no readable emotion there, they are all blandly the same. It's a failed attempt at realism.
Apr 13, 2013 7:00 AM
Sep 2011
Itoukaiji said:
The thing is the characters fail to express the proper emotions and they sound track tries to make up for it which makes the atmosphere it's trying to build up seem heavy handed. It's trying too hard to make up for the lack of emotion in the characters. Combine that with terrible pacing and the complaints about the anime are quite legit.

There's a lot the show does right, but the choppy, jerky animation and art style are completely wrong. And while those things can be overcome, in this case it's obscuring the visual cues to such an extent that a ton of impact is lost. Your examples don't do anything to disprove that. Just look at those faces, there's no readable emotion there, they are all blandly the same. It's a failed attempt at realism.

I suppose this is a point where everyone has to decide for themselves, how they judge the points you mentioned. I for one, and as it seems lots of other people, are able to read a lot of emotions from the characters in this anime. The screencaps above for example show a wide range of feelings such as anxiety, sorrow, smugness and confusion.

The fact that this artstyle doesn't rely on blushing faces, oversized sweatdrops or the likes found in more common anime actually gives the show subtlety, something I don't demand every anime to have, but it is quite refreshing in fact once in a while.
One advantage of rotoscoping is the amount of little, detailed movements that makes the characters more lifelike and well, animated, instead of heaps of stillframes with only mouth or eye movements made use of in a lot of other (low budget) tv anime.

Same goes for the pacing. Some people will be bored to death, other people will like it because they are captured by the atmosphere among other things.
In the end there are no definite facts beside the technical aspects and whether those are perceived as good or bad will depend on each viewer individually.
EudaimoniaApr 13, 2013 8:18 AM
Apr 13, 2013 7:17 AM

Mar 2008
Itoukaiji said:

The pacing is not "terrible", is only slow.
If you don't have cojones to watch something like this, gtf, serious.
Not all histories are ever how we want it to be.

About "fail to express the proper emotions"... you can say for sure that you know which emotions they're feeling? Not, you can't. And even in case you can, each one express differently.
The characters express themselves by body language and eyes. Just because animes are by default expressive, Aku no Hana has no obligation to be. Especially at this point of the story where the characters are suppressing their emotions. Did you know that many of the situations revolves exactly around extracting the feelings that they really feel? Yeah ...
Apr 13, 2013 7:23 AM

Mar 2008
antonn said:

Production I.G
Apr 13, 2013 7:39 AM

Apr 2011
mapodoufu said:
Why do people care so much about opposing opinions? Can you not comprehend the simple fact of life that humans are OPINIONATED; so your efforts to change them are just reduced to derpy anger filled posts.

Stop repeating what has been said 100 times already. You must really want people to think exactly the same as you seeing the effort you put into that post. If you hate this show so much, stop watching; and if you feel like it, post something objective and non threatening.

I admit it was pissing me off how those people were taking frames that are hard to even spot while watching and being like "OMG! i'm going blind hurr hurr". When the above examples show you can do that same thing with even some of the biggest budget anime.

I agree though, really no point in arguing about it. If you like something you like it, no need to try to convince others to do so as well. It just can be annoying to see people not even give the show a chance because of those still frames. Oh well, like I said I agree with you.
Apr 13, 2013 7:41 AM

Dec 2012
Just a friendly reminder that the people who don't like it aren't trolls.
Apr 13, 2013 7:42 AM
Apr 2012
Monde11 said:

Same for those who like it
Apr 13, 2013 7:43 AM

Dec 2012
Zeloft said:
Monde11 said:

Same for those who like it
Indeed.
Apr 13, 2013 7:47 AM

Mar 2008
mapodoufu said:
Why do people care so much about opposing opinions? Can you not comprehend the simple fact of life that humans are OPINIONATED; so your efforts to change them are just reduced to derpy anger filled posts.

Stop repeating what has been said 100 times already. You must really want people to think exactly the same as you seeing the effort you put into that post. If you hate this show so much, stop watching; and if you feel like it, post something objective and non threatening.

I understand your point but... trolls never rest ... trolls never forget.
I'm just remembering this, because I have seen many people saying they will not even look because at these images irresponsible.They are only tarnish the series because of these images, while the script is equally neglected or criticized in the wake of hate.
My first reaction when I saw the anime was of surprise, but honestly no big deal, and it will be pitiful to see Aku no Hana fail for the wrong reasons.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

324 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

118 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.