Forum Settings
Forums

Should anime be allowed to deviate from it's respective manga? (If there is one.)

New
Apr 7, 2013 7:45 AM

Sep 2012
So I noticed there have been a lot of list topics currently, I myself am sort of guilty as well, so lets talk about something more opinion related.

Should anime be allowed to completely deviate from the manga, I.E. skipping arcs, telling the story differently than the manga, leaving out details that you consider important? Or should anime be allowed to deviate from it's point of origin, sort of like some sort of creative license? Keeping characters, setting, but changing the plot?

I myself do not mind this unless it is to the extreme, but I am curious to hear some (educated) opinions from everyone!
Hm, looks like I can't get my signature to work anymore.
Apr 7, 2013 7:47 AM

Oct 2012
Of course it should be allowed to, but in my opinion it should be as faithful to the original work as possible.

Apr 7, 2013 7:47 AM

Sep 2012
I believe that is the decision of the one who is paying for the anime to happen.
Apr 7, 2013 7:50 AM

Sep 2012
Shrabster said:
Of course it should be allowed to, but in my opinion it should be as faithful to the original work as possible.

How faithful are we talking about? Also, do you still consider something like... I think the anime Claymore does this, the anime following the manga to a certain point, then suddenly deviating from it, still 'faithful'?
Apr 7, 2013 7:52 AM

Jun 2012
No, it should be considered a crime to deviate from the manga.

Sep 2012
Red_Keys said:
I believe that is the decision of the one who is paying for the anime to happen.

But what about the person that spent all of their time writing the story for the manga? Do you think that they want the story to be told different? It's their's after all.

Aug 2008
Shrabster said:
I agree.

This is pretty simply answered by the above quote, IMO, but one thing that I think is much more of a problem is the matter of videogame anime adaptations. When you're adapting a media with multiple plots to a medium like anime, where there is conventionally only one plot line, how should that be handled?

I don't mean to derail your thread, however, so there's no pressure to discuss this now.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Apr 7, 2013 7:53 AM

Sep 2012
Shuhan said:

Could you tell me why you think that?
Apr 7, 2013 7:54 AM

Sep 2012
-_Haemokinetic_- said:
Red_Keys said:

But what about the person that spent all of their time writing the story for the manga? Do you think that they want the story to be told different? It's their's after all.
Well, the one who spent the time writing the manga.. wrote the manga. They got paid for the manga, and their story is the manga. If they didn't want it to be a manga, they wouldn't have written one.

And I'm not too keen on Japanese copyright laws, but I'm pretty sure the author would have to give consent to the creation of an anime adaption.
Apr 7, 2013 7:55 AM

Sep 2012
Deserada said:
Shrabster said:
I agree.

This is pretty simply answered by the above quote, IMO, but one thing that I think is much more of a problem is the matter of videogame anime adaptations. When you're adapting a media with multiple plots to a medium like anime, where there is conventionally only one plot line, how should that be handled?

I don't mean to derail your thread, however, so there's no pressure to discuss this now.

No, I think that point is very interesting in itself, could you give me an example? I'm interested... Then again this is the Anime Discussion board, so maybe just sending me a message would be better... Or you could start a topic about it!
Apr 7, 2013 7:55 AM

Apr 2013
-_Haemokinetic_- said:
Red_Keys said:

It is the director choice.
Apr 7, 2013 8:00 AM

Jun 2009
It's kind of a case by case basis, I think. Mostly I would prefer the material to be as faithfully adapted as possible, but sometimes when the source material isn't all that great maybe it's not so bad to make alterations.Also, it can be pretty cool to have different takes on the same basic story, like the FMA adaptations.

Generally speaking, though, I prefer an adaptation to be as faithful as possible. If a series catches up to an unfinished manga, I'd rather it just stop and leave it open for a sequel instead of making a crappy anime only ending like in Claymore. Not that every anime only ending is crap, though, it's just Claymore left a real bad taste in my mouth.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 7, 2013 8:03 AM

Sep 2012
insan3soldiern said:
It's kind of a case by case basis, I think. Mostly I would prefer the material to be as faithfully adapted as possible, but sometimes when the source material isn't all that great maybe it's not so bad to make alterations.Also, it can be pretty cool to have different takes on the same basic story, like the FMA adaptations.

Generally speaking, though, I prefer an adaptation to be as faithful as possible. If a series catches up to an unfinished manga, I'd rather it just stop and leave it open for a sequel instead of making a crappy anime only ending like in Claymore. Not that every anime only ending is crap, though, it's just Claymore left a real bad taste in my mouth.

You and me both....
Apr 7, 2013 8:12 AM

Aug 2008
-_Haemokinetic_- said:
Deserada said:
Shrabster said:
I agree.

No, I think that point is very interesting in itself, could you give me an example? I'm interested... Then again this is the Anime Discussion board, so maybe just sending me a message would be better... Or you could start a topic about it!
Any anime based on a visual novel has this problem, but one of the best solutions I've seen was in the case of Amagami SS. Amagami SS managed to jump between routes, make them fulfilling, tie the sporadic jumps in the story up at the end gracefully (with an awesome plot device that is also quite a spoiler), and avoid any major plot holes in doing so. Steins;Gate also did this to an extent, but they made it clear that it was in fact one plot being followed (with the illusion of many plots, in the parallel universes).
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Apr 7, 2013 8:33 AM
Jun 2012
when anime deviate from the manga we get cliffhanger endings.
Apr 7, 2013 8:37 AM

May 2012
Yes.
Apr 7, 2013 8:39 AM

May 2009
Yes, of course.

Caveat lector - I'm not a big manga reader at all. I watch anime with little or no knowledge of its manga roots. Some endings are rushed/confusing but not to the extent that I feel cheated - no prior knowledge = nothing to compare with.

But lately, I've dipped into some manga or two. My method to ensure enjoyment on both mediums? Watch the anime first then afterwards, the manga. Works most of the time.
Apr 7, 2013 8:47 AM

Jun 2011
If the studio can come up with a better path or story, then go ahead. Otherwise, leave the writing to the author.
Apr 7, 2013 9:06 AM

Apr 2011
Of course they should be allowed to deviate from the manga. But removing entire arcs and leaving out important details? Fuck no. No matter how good the script writer is, nobody knows the story better than the author, so don't try to outdo him by "smartly" creating something new and putting it in and mixing it up with the original storyline. That, more often than not, ends up a disaster. But quite obviously, Japanese anime production studios is as oblivious to that fact as Hollywood movie production studios are to the fact that they can't make a good movie adaption of an anime.
Apr 7, 2013 1:23 PM

Dec 2012
Sure, but almost every time that happens, the plot gets screwed up and the whole thing goes down the crapper. If you're gonna make it different, do it right.
Apr 7, 2013 1:31 PM
May 2007
Just imagine an anime of Akira that 100% faithfully follows a manga.

Or an on-going Hajime no Ippo New Challenger instead of 25 or so episodes that it was when it had countless material to continue off of.
Apr 7, 2013 1:40 PM

Aug 2012
100% Yes.
~Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve
Apr 7, 2013 1:56 PM

Feb 2008
Yes. People seem to forget that manga has it's own flaws, so making a panel to panel adaptation only carries those flaws over. Example: Jojo's Phantom Blood part was the weakest. Instead of expanding it in the show, they went for a faithful adaptation and all flaws carried over, making it still really weak. Just imagine if we saw more development between JoJo and Dio. Just because Naruto fillers suck, doesn't mean that adding extra content is necessarily bad. Heck, I like Rose of Versailles anime more than the manga because it expanded on the parts the manga was lacking.

I have nothing against loosely adaptations. If anything, I'd rather see a loosely adaptation than a panel to panel adaptation. What's the point in watching the exact same thing I just read? Okay, I can understand if it's an action series with lots of movement. But after reading, let's say Aku no Hana, I see no point in making the exact same thing once again. The author had a point, and I'm glad Aku no Hana is the way it is. That's what the author wanted (not that it's necessarily good, but they aren't disrespecting his work).

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 7, 2013 1:58 PM

Oct 2012
Yes. Absolutely yes. The manga and the anime should be different so you have a reason to watch/read them both.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Apr 7, 2013 1:59 PM

Sep 2012
Totally yes, see the masterpiece Fullmetal Alchemist (2002) turned out to be.
Apr 7, 2013 2:04 PM

Aug 2012
Absolutely. Why force someone to make a carbon copy of something people already saw/read? Granted, if they're gonna do it, they should put some real effort into it. Some of the worst deviations I have seen removed the plot/drama and put mindless ecchi in their places instead.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 7, 2013 2:05 PM

Oct 2011
Of course they should be allowed to do so, there's nothing wrong with perfecting the manga ( e.g. covering possible flaws ) when adapting it, but for example ... twisting the whole plot is ridiculous to say the least.

*points at Magi and A-1*
PolychromeApr 7, 2013 2:10 PM
Apr 7, 2013 2:30 PM

Jan 2013
Yes

Some things can be better done in AV medium than in comics medium and vice versa.

Also they can improve and rectify the flaws of the manga. Or give an alternate experience that is good but not a 100% copy of the manga.
Apr 7, 2013 2:32 PM

Aug 2011
If they can do it right and not make a huge mess out of it, why not.

Sometimes it just shouldn't happen.

Apr 7, 2013 2:33 PM

Sep 2011
yah, in some cases it makes the anime version better,one of my favorite animes ever rahXephon completely deviates from the manga, the manga was horrible, full of plotholes, unfinished plot points, fanservice, lack of any character development and bad pacing, the anime is a masterpiece with well developed characters and relationships, clever plot twists, complete resolution and emotionally powerful scenes not present in the manga

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 7, 2013 2:36 PM

Jan 2012
Honestly, I'd like to feel as if I'm not watching the same thing twice if I've already read the manga. As long as it's good, who cares? Also, deviation =/= omission.

... Then again... Aku no Hana anime adaptation. I'd like to pretend it doesn't exist.
"Hello, Mr. Wind up Bird."
Apr 7, 2013 2:40 PM

Apr 2013
Yes if it makes sense and blend well with the actual plot. Let's take Naruto for example, for me it would be impossible to watch the anime if it wasn't similar/identical to the manga because Kishi's work is great.

Now if we take Magi for example, the manga is awesome, but the anime tried to add different elements than the actual story. I normally don't have anything against that but in this case it was a complete fail. What made it even worse is that they added a plot twist in the season 1 finale (that covers the first few chapters) but this twist actually happens in the chapters 100+..
Jul 14, 2013 4:26 PM

Dec 2012
This thread is old, but it's interesting so I'm going to input

Shuhan said:

This. Absolutely. No exceptions.

Look at Rosario Vampire as an example, the anime was decent by itself. But I'm 2000% certain it would have been better if it had tried following the manga, and you know... have a plot.

On a similar note, I think it should be illegal to not finish an adaptation once the manga's finished if the series has already been started in anime format (Bleach etc).

It should also be illegal to skip elements of a story that might be in a differing format but still hold important information (One Piece cover stories... seriously why fillers when they have those?).

Lastly, censorship. This should be heavily regulated. Anything that is changed or removed, even slightly for TV release should have to be changed back or inserted for BD/DVD releases (stuff like Whitebeard's face, Fairy Tail's blood etc).
Jul 14, 2013 4:30 PM

Jan 2009
Yeah. Any type of medium has it's own story-telling method and needs to be molded into that, and any type of medium is it's own art work. So even though someone is using someone else's platform it's still their creation. Peter Jackson did not right Lord of the Rings but I feel he did an amazing job at creating his own version of LoTR. The key is to create your own way to tell the story but to have the end result be the same.
Jul 14, 2013 4:33 PM
Apr 2013
Depends, the original fullmetal
Alchemist made the story way more than your average battle shonen when incorporated things called good writing and execution.
Jul 14, 2013 4:39 PM

Sep 2012
Dolan-chan said:
Alchemist made the story way more than your average battle shonen when incorporated things called good writing and execution.

If plot holes and melodrama is what you call good writing and execution, I can only feel bad for you.
Jul 14, 2013 4:56 PM
Apr 2013
Litrydow said:
Dolan-chan said:

If plot holes and melodrama is what you call good writing and execution, I can only feel bad for you.
I already feel bad for you for siding with a kid's show, unless you are still under 14 so im fine with it.
Melodrama is the defining aspect of BH btw.
"Am I really... Falling for him... All this time"
Omg have some subtlety.
Anyways, the fact that most villains turn into grotesque goant super saiyan monsters (even the stealthy ones) says a lot.
The well written moments of the original manha which are all in the first half are destroyed completely in Bh
The original has more emotional impact; thanks to good writing
Jul 14, 2013 5:02 PM

May 2011
It doesn't have to be 100% faithful. An adapation(manga->anime, novel->Manga, etc.) should capture the essence of the story and enhance it in the medium.

Core1019 said:
This thread is old, but it's interesting so I'm going to input

Shuhan said:

This. Absolutely. No exceptions.

Look at Rosario Vampire as an example, the anime was decent by itself. But I'm 2000% certain it would have been better if it had tried following the manga, and you know... have a plot.

On a similar note, I think it should be illegal to not finish an adaptation once the manga's finished if the series has already been started in anime format (Bleach etc).

It should also be illegal to skip elements of a story that might be in a differing format but still hold important information (One Piece cover stories... seriously why fillers when they have those?).

Lastly, censorship. This should be heavily regulated. Anything that is changed or removed, even slightly for TV release should have to be changed back or inserted for BD/DVD releases (stuff like Whitebeard's face, Fairy Tail's blood etc).

You should read how ridiculous your post is. It doesn't have to be a 100% faithful adaption to be good. Clannad and others similar didn't follow the source 100%, but was able to deliver a much better experience.
RockerXDJul 14, 2013 5:07 PM
Jul 14, 2013 5:04 PM
Apr 2013
On the other hand,
Crappy deviation to rush things is bad, like Magi.
Jul 14, 2013 5:09 PM

Jul 2012
I think so.

Anime don't need to follow the manga. If the manga is dumb but has a few good ideas the anime can be made based around those ideas and the creaters of the anime can come up with things themselves.
Not only that, but by following the manga, anyone who's read the manga might not find the show so interesting. If it deviates and goes in a different direction or does something different from the manga, it can be interesting and new even to the manga readers, allowing one to experience more new content and keep things interesting.
Jul 14, 2013 5:44 PM

Feb 2010
If you think most of your sales for an anime adaptation are going to come from the readers, keep what attracted its fans in the first place. If you're banking on having a larger audience, you'd do well to change things as you see fit since source material isn't infallible.

The ideal solution is to change parts of the story to make it better while simultaneously keeping what made the manga so good but ideals never happen.
Jul 14, 2013 5:51 PM

Sep 2012
Dolan-chan said:
I already feel bad for you for siding with a kid's show, unless you are still under 14 so im fine with it.

It's a shounen, there's nothing wrong with being on its own demographic. One Piece is also very shounen-y but it's as great. If Fullmetal AIDSlchemist 2003 is what you think a "mature" show is, you seriously have some growing up to do.

Dolan-chan said:
Melodrama is the defining aspect of BH btw.
"Am I really... Falling for him... All this time"
Omg have some subtlety.

You don't even know what melodrama is. Just look at the amount of forced crying, the ridiculous attempt of characterization of the Homunculus and at Hohenheim's character and purpose in the 2003 version.

Dolan-chan said:
Anyways, the fact that most villains turn into grotesque goant super saiyan monsters (even the stealthy ones) says a lot.

No, it doesn't. Your way of judging anime is childish and not objective in the slightest.

Dolan-chan said:
The well written moments of the original manha which are all in the first half are destroyed completely in Bh
The original has more emotional impact; thanks to good writing

Brotherhood rushed through what the first version had already covered, it was meant for who had already watched that one or read the manga.
Emotional impact? Yeah, right. You can't even define what writing is, you probably just read some posts around here and try pretending you know anything.
Jul 14, 2013 5:57 PM

Feb 2012
No but some effort should be made to improve whatever they can.
Jul 14, 2013 11:09 PM
Aug 2011
Why not? There are examples of great adaptations and terrible ones.

Also do you know that most American movies that are based on a book have plenty of changes made to them. Because you have less time to tell the story and sometimes to tell the story properly you need to be able to adjust and change things.
Jul 14, 2013 11:10 PM
Jul 2013
who know

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

65 by Ratris_Decision »»
4 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

88 by RobertBobert »»
6 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
8 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

19 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

11 by Spunkert »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.