Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Aku no Hana Episode 1 Discussion

Mar 11, 2016 9:21 PM

I liked it. I get most people want something familiar. I haven't seen the manga. This had a lot of atmosphere. I like the way its scored too. That distorted static playing over kids walking to school is really effective. Took me a bit to get past the rotoscoped look. But once I accepted it, I was enjoying it. I'm going to keep watching.
I bet you guys hate Ralph Bakshi that hate this.

Apr 30, 2016 8:16 AM

I don't understand the shocked comments about the animation. If we compare the manga drawings with the anime adaption, of course they are different. So what? I find the characterisation very realistic. Anyway, this first chapter had a creepy atmosphere and looks promising.
Rely on nothing under heaven

Jul 17, 2016 9:18 AM

I think I saw a weird Mario as graffiti on a gate.
"She's like a jungle down there" ... bro ...

The ED is amazing, was a favourite already before I started watching this show.

One of the most realistic animation I've seen, facial expressions

Interested to see where this is going, no clue so far.

Aug 3, 2016 10:45 PM

This forum proves this site is full of over critical weaboos who want all of there anime characters to look like kawaii moe jailbaits. However this first episode was pretty fuciking weird
BISH IM IN NARNIA <3

Aug 10, 2016 2:24 PM

35 sites of comments?! After reading the first page it seems like the major part is all about the hate towards the looks of this anime lol.
Modified by SilentSword114, Aug 10, 2016 3:51 PM

Aug 14, 2016 4:13 PM
Absolutely love the art style and the way its animated.
Can't even begin to understand all the negative comments on the first few pages.
Especially some people saying "this should not get subbed" ... wow just wow...

Nov 20, 2016 2:56 AM

wow, that ED was really amazing :O ...also like the animation style so far.

Nov 24, 2016 3:54 PM

I really enjoyed this episode ~ And the animation is really cool! Just sets the pace for the series! I cannot wait to watch more! :D

Nov 24, 2016 6:54 PM

Weird episode.

Well the characters look very..... Japanese!?
One Piece is the Best Selling Manga in History.

Jan 18, 2017 2:27 AM

Wow, never seen so much hate. People really can't handle rotoscope animation. Aside from that, which I didn't mind at all, I just came to comment on the great art and eerie atmosphere. Curious to see where this is going

Jul 13, 2017 3:10 AM

First episode and it's already unnerving -- nice. I actually don't dislike this style of animation. At least it's not as horrible as Ajin, IMO.
Smh that Kasuga is prettier than me. :(
Loving this ED song, though.

"ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴡᴇʀᴇ sᴇᴇɴ ᴅᴀɴᴄɪɴɢ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ɪɴsᴀɴᴇ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ɴᴏᴛ ʜᴇᴀʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ."

Jul 13, 2017 3:11 AM

Sh4de said:
Wow, never seen so much hate. People really can't handle rotoscope animation. Aside from that, which I didn't mind at all, I just came to comment on the great art and eerie atmosphere. Curious to see where this is going

I agree; the atmosphere is impeccably established here.

"ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴡᴇʀᴇ sᴇᴇɴ ᴅᴀɴᴄɪɴɢ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ɪɴsᴀɴᴇ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ɴᴏᴛ ʜᴇᴀʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ."

Sep 10, 2017 7:19 AM

the ED placement is genius

genuine chills

Oct 30, 2017 5:03 AM
Haven't read the manga but I think I understand why people find the designs creepy. Thanx to my great iem's I can experience the sound to its fullest and did not feel any pacing issues. The characters move a bit too slow than you'd expect them to though. I wonder why, is it a drawback of rotoscoping or is it actually intended ?
Faces might appear creepy to some, I imagine so going by everyone else's comments. Especially when the characters talk or smile, but I don't have much issue with the designs and animation. It all adds up to the realism the show is supposed to relay I think.

Nov 27, 2017 1:40 PM

I know this show gets a lot of hate, and I put it off forever because of it, but nothing has captivated me as much as this in quite some time

Jan 15, 2018 3:41 AM
Just looking at the protagonist's picture makes me want to punch him in the face. After reading TV Trope, I want to into my computer just so I can punch in the face. I am not like most nerds who seem to hate, whine, get annoyed, and make a big deal out of every little shit so there are few characters that I get annoyed with but boy is this guy's face just asking for it.

Mar 7, 2018 6:19 PM

Okay so yeah, anime looks super different and weird. The process of rotoscoping an entire series is a weird decision and definitely does contain benefits, namely the more realistic and natural motion displayed throughout the entire episodes. Still, the lack of detail present in the character models, especially when compared to highly detailed background art, is incredibly jarring and off-putting. I don't really blame anyone for having serious issue with how the show looks though I admittedly still have a soft spot for it. Outside of the movement bonus I wouldn't really go out of my way to defend it, but monotony is one of my least favorite favorite things and anime is a medium a choice for me because of the high levels of variety, not just in story but in visual styling as well. That said, so many anime still blend in together design wise that I find myself often bored with the visual component, and while I don't love this, I certainly don't hate it and definitely don't find it boring.

But how about the actually content of the episode. 90% of this was this very natural slice of life series about a quiet read-y boy who crushes on ms. popularity/brains and while I enjoyed that fine, it was the other 10% that made things interesting. Like Nakamura, she is such a clash with the rest of the show, I actively sat-up from my side lie when she called the teacher a "Shit face". From her evil stare, red hair, and personality, everything about her stands out from the other quiet or friendly bullying that we seen. And the constant foreboding flower raising in the corner helped build intrigue in the current events, leading to a pretty great conclusion. The ED song, especially the fact that it started before the credits, role did such a great job of providing the ending with an eeriness that makes me eager to continue the series.
Modified by Terrestrious, Mar 23, 2018 7:10 PM

Mar 21, 2018 1:41 PM

I can't stand the animation of charaters, obviously, the way they unnaturaly move hurts my eyes >_< Such a shame, the backgrounds, soundtrack, ending song - all of that stuff was captured perfectly (although the pacing was too slow for my liking). Hope I can get used to the rotoscope animation, because the creepy pycho atmosphere is totally my thing.

Oct 5, 2018 6:29 AM

While I love the rotoscope animation that reminds me of my favorite animated movie (Waking Life) and the trippiness, I think the facial expressions are a bit too bland and don't convey emotions that much. I'm not a big fan of the OST either, which can be described as a constant, irritating loud noise.

That said, I still liked the first episode and am looking forward to see where this goes! I might drop it if it stays slow like that, but it's certainly unique and different, so I feel like I should give it a chance.

Nov 8, 2018 8:53 PM

Watched some clips to see how "ugly" the anime looks but i found the art and animation to be decent

Feb 4, 6:06 PM
Psyche_Izaya said:
I know that symbv have already given a quick summary for the interview between Director & Author.
but for people who wants to read more about it :

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4622098&postcount=169

I'm definitely sticking to this anime~

Thanks for this, I have only watched 3 episodes, not read the manga (but I want to) and Kasuga's reactions remind me of myself at that age. Insofar as how he blows everything out of proportion and is nervous around people he finds attractive. This anime makes me think of how there are some really fu ked up people in this world (nakamura) and also people who are seriously unaware of it (saeki).

I also like how it pointed me towards the poems (also, a online lingerie shop with some super attractive models).

I gotta say, as disturbing as it is, I'm still grateful to the people who spent time to put it together for giving us something unique and evocative.

Feb 23, 1:30 AM

Smh why are so many ppl hating it? I felt it was decent, the animation is a bit strange though it's not [i]bad[/b]. Also really liked the music.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 26, 7:27 PM
Ok this was sooo weird... I really don't like the character artstyle, like come ON what's the point of trying to make the characters look realistic, it's supposed to be unrealistic, IT'S ANIME. Well, so far it looks good actually, the story

Sep 1, 5:31 PM
animation is Good, And Art syle Is quite different but Its Fine, Looks More Realistic and Movements too.

Sep 20, 10:08 AM
Rotoscopy has a good quality, I don't know why there are people who say it's bad ...
I will try to watch all this anime, I already saw the spoiler of the anime practically, but I will try to see

Episode 1 7/10

Oct 13, 2:39 AM

Interesting art style. The episode was so calm until that Nakamura girl came up. She disturbed the peace. That's a one creepy ending song if it really can be called a song.

Pages (35) « First ... « 33 34 [35]

Preview MangaManga Store