Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Aku no Hana Episode 1 Discussion

Apr 9, 2013 7:26 AM

Holy crap I'll just stick to the manga thank you

Apr 9, 2013 7:37 AM
I posted this on the manga discussion thread, but I'll post it here too.

I heard that the mangaka tweeted that he had not seen the character designs before it aired, but please to watch it. And after it aired, he deleted his twitter.
Could have the impression that the author was just getting harassed. But I'm getting the impression that the author was appalled and ashamed, not happy.

Also they only got through like a few pages of the first chapter... I feel that's taking away from the true point of the chapter... You could call it building up mood, but still...

Apr 9, 2013 8:01 AM
ScipioXII said:
Is it, or is it not completely changed from the manga design?

Enjoy your answer.

Pro Tip - Joined: Jan 2008

ScipioXII said:
It's not even up for discussion guys, it's a terrible adaption design wise.

Couldn't even spell the word adaptation right.

Work on your spelling before bragging about join dates lmao.

Apr 9, 2013 8:05 AM

Anime of the year, every year

Apr 9, 2013 8:48 AM

Solvite said:
No you dimwit Saeki has to be pretty because its part of her character.
She may be ugly, but compared to the other ugly rotoscoped girls, she was pretty.

Apr 9, 2013 9:32 AM
Anime Moderator
Well, my first impression of this anime was kinda terrible. Now that I rewatched it, I came to realise that the graphics isn't the main problem here. Sure, it may not look great, but it's definitely... unique, in some weird way.
But don't get me wrong, I still don't think it was a good episode. Mainly because, well, NOTHING ACTUALLY HAPPENED! The pacing was awful. What do I know about the characters after watching the first episode? MC is an old literature geek, he's in love with the best student in his class and... that's it. Oh, and there's another girl in his class who's acting like a bitch. That's all.
Well, it's not much, is it? 20 minutes and I know as much as other anime can show in a minute. Really!
I read the manga and I know that the plot will be bad (considering that anime will remain faithful to the original) and Aku no Hana definitely won't be the best anime of this season (Shingeki no Kyojin will probably get this title), but rating it 1 by that many people is insane. There are worse anime in this season, like Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge or, sadly, Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties.
But hey, it's the internet, haters gonna hate.

Apr 9, 2013 9:48 AM

Solvite said:
Anyone who dislikes this is a troll. We can leave it at that. I'm done arguing.

Solvite stop pls.

ALRIGHT KIDS LISTEN UP
I'M GONNA CHANGE MY OPINION OKAY
RIGHT NOW THIS COMMUNITY IS DIVIDED AS FUCK BUT I'M GONNA CLEAR THIS UP HERE AND NOW.
CLICK THAT SPOILER BUTTON AND LOOK AT THESE GUYS.

YEAH PRETTY NEAT RIGHT?
YEAH, WE'RE DEALING WITH ROTOSCOPING KIDS.
IT'S A COOL TECHNIQUE, BUT GUESS WHAT.
NOT EVERYONE HAS THE BUDGET TO MAKE ROTOSCOPING LOOK GREAT.
EVERYONE THAT'S A FAN OF THE MANGA AGREES THAT THE MANGA IS BETTER, RIGHT? (MANGAFAG HERE)
BUT LET'S TAKE A MOMENT OKAY
HAD THIS BEEN RELEASED AS A LIVE ACTION WOULD YOU REALLY TAKE TIME AWAY FROM OUR PRECIOUS MOE BLOBS AND WAIFUS TO VIEW 3DPD SHIT
YEAH, DIDN'T THINK SO
SO AFTER WATCHING THIS A SECOND TIME, OKAY. THEY DID THIS IN A UNIQUE STYLE. IT'S NOT HORRIBLE. SURE THE MANGA IS PRETTIER. BUT DIFFERENT IS GOOD EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, TOO.
AKU NO HANA DOES A GOOD JOB OF PORTRAYING REALISTIC ENVIRONMENTS AND YOU WOULD BE LYING IF YOU SAID THE MOTIONS WEREN'T MORE FLUID THAN ANY ANIME YOU'VE EVER SEEN.

TL;DR AKU NO HANA IS WORTH A WATCH SO SUCK IT UP AND DEAL WITH IT
Formerly gutsyGumshoe

Apr 9, 2013 9:50 AM

ecoute said:
Well, my first impression of this anime was kinda terrible. Now that I rewatched it, I came to realise that the graphics isn't the main problem here. Sure, it may not look great, but it's definitely... unique, in some weird way.
But don't get me wrong, I still don't think it was a good episode. Mainly because, well, NOTHING ACTUALLY HAPPENED! The pacing was awful. What do I know about the characters after watching the first episode? MC is an old literature geek, he's in love with the best student in his class and... that's it. Oh, and there's another girl in his class who's acting like a bitch. That's all.
Well, it's not much, is it? 20 minutes and I know as much as other anime can show in a minute. Really!
I read the manga and I know that the plot will be bad (considering that anime will remain faithful to the original) and Aku no Hana definitely won't be the best anime of this season (Shingeki no Kyojin will probably get this title), but rating it 1 by that many people is insane. There are worse anime in this season, like Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge or, sadly, Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties.
But hey, it's the internet, haters gonna hate.

The pace is perfectly fine. We get to see the MCs everyday-life. We get introduced to his character and his feelings towards that one girl, to his friends, to the fact that he thinks he's better than his friends. And of course that red-haired girl who doesn't take school seriously and acts in a very edgy manner. It just didn't try to rush the story so much to not destroy the atmosphere. Bad pacing would be something like the first episode of Shingeki (I'm not saying the anime itself is bad). I couldn't care one bit for characters being killed 10 minutes after their introduction.

Apr 9, 2013 11:04 AM

It would be a wonderful feature if MAL gave us the ability to individually block
out all of the posts from certain users. Everyone has the right to express their
ideas. But after seeing certain people repeat the same point ten times I would
enjoy having a way to personally silence them. At the same time, the rest of
you would be freely able to keep reading what they have to say. This would
make everybody happy.

Apr 9, 2013 11:04 AM

Goddamn, this is as ugly as everyone says it is. Doesn't help that this was the most unbelievably boring first episode I've seen in a while. Due to the spoilers everywhere, I just went ahead and read chap 26 of the manga... wtf is going on there. I'm going to give it two more episodes before I gouge my eyes out and drop it.

Apr 9, 2013 11:08 AM

spectralMagician said:
Solvite said:
Anyone who dislikes this is a troll. We can leave it at that. I'm done arguing.

Solvite stop pls.

ALRIGHT KIDS LISTEN UP
I'M GONNA CHANGE MY OPINION OKAY
RIGHT NOW THIS COMMUNITY IS DIVIDED AS FUCK BUT I'M GONNA CLEAR THIS UP HERE AND NOW.
CLICK THAT SPOILER BUTTON AND LOOK AT THESE GUYS.

YEAH PRETTY NEAT RIGHT?
EVERYONE THAT'S A FAN OF THE MANGA AGREES THAT THE MANGA IS BETTER, RIGHT? (MANGAFAG HERE)
BUT LET'S TAKE A MOMENT OKAY
HAD THIS BEEN RELEASED AS A LIVE ACTION WOULD YOU REALLY TAKE TIME AWAY FROM OUR PRECIOUS MOE BLOBS AND WAIFUS TO VIEW 3DPD SHIT
YEAH, DIDN'T THINK SO
SO AFTER WATCHING THIS A SECOND TIME, OKAY. THEY DID THIS IN A UNIQUE STYLE. IT'S NOT HORRIBLE. SURE THE MANGA IS PRETTIER. BUT DIFFERENT IS GOOD EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, TOO.
AKU NO HANA DOES A GOOD JOB OF PORTRAYING REALISTIC ENVIRONMENTS AND YOU WOULD BE LYING IF YOU SAID THE MOTIONS WEREN'T MORE FLUID THAN ANY ANIME YOU'VE EVER SEEN.

TL;DR AKU NO HANA IS WORTH A WATCH SO SUCK IT UP AND DEAL WITH IT

My hero ( ¬‿¬) Nice post.

Apr 9, 2013 11:18 AM

ReasonDesu said:

My hero ( ¬‿¬) Nice post.

Thank.
Formerly gutsyGumshoe

Apr 9, 2013 11:28 AM

Tyrel said:
bastek66 said:
Kill it with fire

Yep, dropped. I can't stand that. Thank you for shining such hope onto us.

OMNG i havent even watched one ep but looked to the forums after seeing the 5.0 rating and all i have to say after seeing those comparison pics is SOOOO TROLLLEDD im gona watch it just becuz i cant beleive how TROLLED THIOS GOT.

LOL i saw one pic i was like dam then i scrolled down nd i was lIKE WUT THE F** IS THAT that dude that posted those pics mustv got sum random anime dude paste next to the manga girl

i See there trying to be realistic, it just got outta hand with the manga girl/ anime dude with red hair
Modified by kUshPandA_ENJOi, Apr 9, 2013 11:33 AM
Feels like losing all five senses &
Maybe not able to have thoughts,

Enjoi...

Apr 9, 2013 11:30 AM

spectralMagician said:

Why do people still bring that? If you don't have the budget to make rotoscoping look great, the solution is, don't make rotoscoping. Do what you are allowed to do with your resources. I don't know why the hell is this seen as something worth of praise.

Apr 9, 2013 11:36 AM

jal90 said:
spectralMagician said:

Why do people still bring that? If you don't have the budget to make rotoscoping look great, the solution is, don't make rotoscoping. Do what you are allowed to do with your resources. I don't know why the hell is this seen as something worth of praise.

It isn't something worth praise, it's far from it and I'm not trying to say it is, I'm just throwing it out as a possibility.
From what I've heard, the author hadn't seen what the anime adaptation was going to look like, period.
He deleted his twitter account soon after the release. So the rotoscoping thing most likely has none of the creator's intentions.
Why'd they do it? Who knows.
Formerly gutsyGumshoe

Apr 9, 2013 11:42 AM
spectralMagician said:
jal90 said:
spectralMagician said:

It isn't something worth praise, it's far from it and I'm not trying to say it is, I'm just throwing it out as a possibility.
From what I've heard, the author hadn't seen what the anime adaptation was going to look like, period.
He deleted his twitter account soon after the release. So the rotoscoping thing most likely has none of the creator's intentions.

"From what I've heard, the author hadn't seen what the anime adaptation was going to look like, period."

you are so wrong on this one by the way. the author himself was part of the production, did some rotoscoping on himself and approved the animation. there are multiple threads in here that has the link that proves it.
"....i am the villain in this story"

Apr 9, 2013 11:45 AM

amginex said:
spectralMagician said:
jal90 said:
spectralMagician said:

"From what I've heard, the author hadn't seen what the anime adaptation was going to look like, period."

you are so wrong on this one by the way. the author himself was part of the production, did some rotoscoping on himself and approved the animation. there are multiple threads in here that has the link that proves it.

My bad then. Thanks for more information, in fact. Hopping between forums and the like. Disregard.
I am literally at the point of note taking Aku no Hana is going to kill me.
Formerly gutsyGumshoe

Apr 9, 2013 11:49 AM

Monde11 said:
http://ternalnodorei.tumblr.com/post/47253390024/at-first-nagahama-the-director-refused-the

"Oshimi: He guarantees that those who feel very strongly about Aku no hana will enjoy the anime. However, chara-moe types, those who go “Nakamura-san, unf unf” will probably feel betrayed"

That pretty much sums this entire discussion up.
Formerly gutsyGumshoe

Apr 9, 2013 11:51 AM
Monde11 said:
http://ternalnodorei.tumblr.com/post/47253390024/at-first-nagahama-the-director-refused-the

part of that interview that makes me wonder is, who keeps asking nagahama to adapt it into anime? when he refused, they couldnt go with a different director?

too much going on behind the scenes
"....i am the villain in this story"

Apr 9, 2013 11:51 AM

amginex said:
Monde11 said:

part of that interview that makes me wonder is, who keeps asking nagahama to adapt it into anime? when he refused, they couldnt go with a different director?

too much going on behind the scenes

Maybe this is all actually a conspiracy.
Formerly gutsyGumshoe

Apr 9, 2013 12:46 PM

@ReasonDesu I don't know why but I get anxious every time I look at your avatar

Apr 9, 2013 1:05 PM

Monde11 said:

"The interviewer asks about the impact the visuals would have on viewers, and Nagahama says he’s well aware that a lot of people will go “what the fuck” and “this is gross,” “I hate this, I’m not watching this.” But he’s pretty much okay with that, too, because he thinks it’s fine as long as it leaves an impact on people. Viewers may dismiss it right away, but some may check it out later and find it interesting, or they may come across the manga, recognize the title, and read that."

Have to say he just won a lot of respect from me, he's got balls.

Apr 9, 2013 1:16 PM

News flash: The trend of rotoscoped animes is clearly here to stay !

Have a look at the opening credit sequence of the brand-new anime Aiura.

In that case, the rotoscope actor is a crab. It looks great, in fact.

Apr 9, 2013 1:43 PM

spectralMagician said:
Monde11 said:

"Oshimi: He guarantees that those who feel very strongly about Aku no hana will enjoy the anime. However, chara-moe types, those who go “Nakamura-san, unf unf” will probably feel betrayed"

That pretty much sums this entire discussion up.

Finally,. Yes, this is pretty much the REAL issue, its not pretty, clean looking (by todays trends standards): """ turning this manga into a pretty, clean-looking anime would be pointless. """

Words form the director himself the author agreed and envied some anime features.

And I fully agree, it would have been just one anime more, simply one of tons that are basically mass produced.

For good or bad this one will be remembered for years to come and will be a reference, again FOR GOOD OR BAD. (own creatosr words: they welcome all negativity towards this and embrace it).

jal90 said:
spectralMagician said:

And me at least, poor rotoscoping or not I find it not bad as many of you say and more appealing and with better fluidity that your usual anime.

Like I said in a post before, I would like people on rage because Oreimo S2 Ep1"should" be as "bad" technically, backgrounds are lifeless below average, too much super closeups which undeniably means laziness and to save on budget, all the fantastic animation we see is lips moving with eventually minor head and eyebrows movement for a good percentage of the entire first episode.

Now, I am not saying that that something being bad should justify something else being bad too (as someone pointed it to me before), but if people rage toward Aku no hana is mainly do to technicalities here, why not judge as harshly other anime?.

I will tell you why, because the others follow ("pretty") standards that are to be expected.

This one is just too different and there is much resistance toward this, its not likeable that for sure, it will turn off many, but the technicalities some insist to regard as trash the technique used, and actually some of its visual traits and technique of animation do better than the standard, as bad as it could look for many.

I find it pretty nice that my backgrounds are ALIVE, that background characters are ALIVE, and that characters have such rich complex body movements which otherwise are impossible for 95% of anime series' budget, thanks for the rotoscoping.

That said, I would not like to see this distinctive style time and time again (the rotoscoping technique is welcome), it works for this series and thats it.

Also if we take what you said literally jal90, then small anime studios should just disappear and we should have only those that have the money to make anime with high production values, again, why dont you judge as harshly other anime on the low spectrum? Those make about 90% of the bulk of anime and many do a great job at compensating with other features, just as entire anime actually does as the anime industry does not make millions to invest in super high animation.

I'm glad I am not superficial, the most important aspect is story and characters for me in the same level of importance, visuals come later, they are not everything unless they are absolutely-totally atrociously (I have yet to find and anime that cannot forgive or skip for this SOLE reason), fortunately, I find Aku no hana quite appealing, I dont expect anyone to fell like I do of course, but many of you are being too harsh and judging unfairly.

You dont like it, you are welcome, no problem, but its not the atrocity and worst anime ever some of you say it is, you are exaggerating.
Modified by 9988, Apr 9, 2013 2:01 PM

Apr 9, 2013 2:00 PM

okanagan said:

Steve Jobs 0:48?

Apr 9, 2013 2:05 PM

Discoun7 said:
okanagan said:

Steve Jobs 0:48?

The rotoscoping itself is not the issue. It will be fine if it ever gets used more as long as the overall designs are more clean and pretty looking.

Apr 9, 2013 2:34 PM

Monde11 said:

"Oshimi: He guarantees that those who feel very strongly about Aku no hana will enjoy the anime. However, chara-moe types, those who go “Nakamura-san, unf unf” will probably feel betrayed. (lol #2)"

Maximum trolling, 10/10, would bang.

ainky said:
@ReasonDesu I don't know why but I get anxious every time I look at your avatar

Actually looking at it now it does make me kinda nauseous. I used to think it was cute when I made it, had to distort it a lot to get the file size down *_*
Modified by ReasonDesu, Apr 9, 2013 2:43 PM

Apr 9, 2013 2:35 PM

Even putting the artwork issue aside, nothing happens in this episode. NOTHING AT ALL.

Throughout the episode they set up this creepy and oppressive atmosphere, but it's just middle school students being middle school students. Mundane lives.

Oooohhhhh some kid talks about a hairy vagina. That's fucking terrifying.

Will something actually happen in the next episode?

Apr 9, 2013 2:36 PM

Watched in 1080p last night, looked a bit better.

Still a trainwreck though, but the scene with the flower opening its eye was top knotch.

Apr 9, 2013 2:36 PM

9988 said:
jal90 said:
spectralMagician said:

And me at least, poor rotoscoping or not I find it not bad as many of you say and more appealing and with better fluidity that your usual anime.

That was completely irrelevant to my comment, but yep, I find the rotoscoping in this show poor. I am not one to notice animation flaws and technical sloppiness, but this pretty much hit my face. And well, I do expect rotoscoping to be more fluid than the usual anime, because the characteristics of rotoscoping say so. There is nothing that special at it.

9988 said:
Now, I am not saying that that something being bad should justify something else being bad too (as someone pointed it to me before), but if people rage toward Aku no hana is mainly do to technicalities here, why not judge as harshly other anime?.

There are several reasons that I could list here, but there's a very easy one. Because Aku no Hana's focus, specially in this episode in which very little stuff actually happens, is in the art and animation. It is used to build the atmosphere, which is supposed to be creepy. And it becomes its seal, for better or for worse.

Why don't people complain about such things in other shows? Well, maybe because the focus changes.

9988 said:
I will tell you why, because the others follow ("pretty") standards that are to be expected.

Oh well okay, more or less the same.

9988 said:
I find it pretty nice that my backgrounds are ALIVE, that background characters are ALIVE, and that characters have such rich complex body movements which otherwise are impossible for 95% of anime series' budget, thanks for the rotoscoping.

Yes. And that's the issue with rotoscoping. It copies human gestures and therefore it is able to be fluid. But that doesn't make it better than stop motion alone, or does it? Like any style, it needs work to look well. Just because it is more fluid by definition doesn't make it automatically better than other styles and excuses any flaw this series has. There are aspects that Aku no Hana clearly doesn't do well, I don't know if on purpose or just due to laziness.

The backgrounds are not alive. They are still photos, pretty still photos, but the characters moving through them, in my opinion, don't mix well. Because in contrast with the richness and detail of the world, the background characters are drawn as blobs who only happen to gain a face when they reach a certain distance, with a very simple color pattern and no shading.

9988 said:
That said, I would not like to see this distinctive style time and time again (the rotoscoping technique is welcome), it works for this series and thats it.

Yeah, the problem is, you know, that rotoscoping is not exclusive for Aku no Hana, and I've seen it done better... I have to admit though that it is not my favorite style; I prefer the animation to either be cartoonishly fluid or more abrupt, the problem with rotoscoping is that it tends to drag down the movements, it definitely shows them with detail though. Anyway, I haven't seen as many as I'd like and my opinion could change.

9988 said:
Also if we take what you said literally jal90, then small anime studios should just disappear and we should have only those that have the money to make anime with high production values, again, why dont you judge as harshly other anime on the low spectrum? Those make about 90% of the bulk of anime and many do a great job at compensating with other features, just as entire anime actually does as the anime industry does not make millions to invest in super high animation.

Well, of course if you take it literally, but since I was quoting somebody else this assumption doesn't make much sense. I am not talking about whatever the studio does. They are free to do what they want or like. I am talking about giving them merits for accepting a challenge they can't cover (it's what people tend to call pretentious, but whatever). Adjusting your qualities to the budget and being creative with the stuff you have is actually better than failing at what you try because of your attempt to cover more than you can handle.

9988 said:
I'm glad I am not superficial, the most important aspect is story and characters for me in the same level of importance, visuals come later, they are not everything unless they are absolutely-totally atrociously (I have yet to find and anime that cannot forgive or skip for this SOLE reason), fortunately, I find Aku no hana quite appealing, I dont expect anyone to fell like I do of course, but many of you are being too harsh and judging unfairly.

I would agree with you as I'm more into characters and story, because I prefer feeling attached to characters instead of an overall feeling that yeah, can be satisfying but not as much as how I'd feel if I find a character I like, understand and care for.

But definitely not on visuals being superficial... In a medium like animation, the visual qualities become fully noticeable as a mean to express and convey emotions, and there are shows/films completely devoted to exploring the possibilities of this kind of visual communication. Mind Game, for example.

9988 said:
You dont like it, you are welcome, no problem, but its not the atrocity and worst anime ever some of you say it is, you are exaggerating.

Meh, I voted 2 out of 5 and said it had some qualities, what's the big deal :3?
Modified by jal90, Apr 9, 2013 2:53 PM

Apr 9, 2013 2:47 PM

okanagan said:

Haha anime is saved, finally!

Apr 9, 2013 2:48 PM

Anime Noire

Great comments by 9988 which do a great job of pointing out what Aku no Hana offers.
Indeed there are lots of things that can be done using this technique. It combines the
reality of live action with the possibilities of animation.

1. Aku no Hana is a business venture. The only reason that any of the people involved
are doing it is because they need to earn money to live. It is only rational to create Aku
no Hana in the way that they did if their intelligent guess is that, in the end, it is likely to
make a lot of money. Only the profits matter.

2. For Aku no Hana to make a lot of money, lots of people in Japan have to want to
watch it and buy the Blu-rays and related merchandise. Take special note that it is the
people in JAPAN who will spend almost all of the money that will be taken in.

3. Aku no Hana:
(a) shows a meaningless, empty, completely decayed world
(b) the mangaka directly abuses the viewers in the three-second still frame
at the end, after the credits, calling all of us "kusomushi".
(c) they did lots of other things outside the show to intentionally get people
upset and hate it
(d) totally disrespects the teacher
(e) has a hero (Kasuga) who seems to like evil
(f) is very ugly, either because they needed to save money or because they
wanted it to be ugly
(g) has lots of obvious (possibly intentional) technical flaws that make it a
great target for people to hate it

Now, logically, combine 1, 2 and 3. That says something.

Is anybody here old enough to remember the sudden transition from "Disco" music to
"Punk" music that happened in about 1980? It was a similiar kind of thing where there
was an instant change from super-beautiful to super-ugly.

Also, in about 1945 there was a similar sudden transition in the kind of movies that
were made in Hollywood. Just after the war ended, people in the USA wanted to watch
a lot of really dark, pessimistic, cynical movies called "cinema noire". "Noire" is the
French word meaning "black". This went on for about a half-dozen years.

I predict a trend towards more "anime noire".
Modified by okanagan, Apr 9, 2013 2:57 PM

Apr 9, 2013 2:54 PM
Anime Moderator
Mormegil said:
Even putting the artwork issue aside, nothing happens in this episode. NOTHING AT ALL.

Throughout the episode they set up this creepy and oppressive atmosphere, but it's just middle school students being middle school students. Mundane lives.

Yeah, something WILL happen. Finally. And that'll be surprising for those who haven't read the original.
I just don't know why we have to wait for the second episode to see something that happened on the 19th page of manga.
I'll repeat - the pace of 1st episode was awful.

Apr 9, 2013 2:56 PM

ecoute said:
Mormegil said:

Yeah, something WILL happen. Finally. And that'll be surprising for those who haven't read the original.
I just don't know why we have to wait for the second episode to see something that happened on the 19th page of manga.
Hold up, how many pages did the episode cover?

Apr 9, 2013 3:01 PM

Oooohhhhh some kid talks about a hairy v*****. That's f***ing terrifying.

People who are not virgins know that the hair doesn't grow there.

For those people for whom non-virginity is not possible, try looking closely at some photos.

Apr 9, 2013 3:01 PM
Anime Moderator
Monde11 said:
ecoute said:
Mormegil said:

15 pages. I couldn't believe it myself.

Apr 9, 2013 3:14 PM

okanagan said:

For those people for whom non-virginity is not possible, try looking closely at some photos.

This post, wow.

Apr 9, 2013 3:28 PM
Mormegil said:

Yeah, in case you didn't notice, that was the entire point of the episode. In this episode we see he lives an average boring life, reads for a hobby, has a crush on the popular girl, nothing interesting happens. Next episode, shit happens and his "mundane" life gets fucked up.

Apr 9, 2013 3:32 PM

introverte said:
Mormegil said:

Yeah, in case you didn't notice, that was the entire point of the episode. In this episode we see he lives an average boring life, reads for a hobby, has a crush on the popular girl, nothing interesting happens. Next episode, shit happens and his "mundane" life gets fucked up.

This is another typical pacing issue, I would hazard a guess a lot of the people saying this haven't watched slow paced psychological shows like Lain, Texhnolyze etc, that's probably why it feels off to them. If not idk, I like slow shows sometimes.
Modified by ReasonDesu, Apr 9, 2013 3:50 PM

Apr 9, 2013 3:41 PM

okanagan said:

Wanna know something? We just watched a video today on childbirth. Full view, no censorship.

That girl was hairy. Very hairy.

Plus you learn about pubic hair in health class, and I'm pretty sure dicks ain't the only thing that grow hair.

You know why am I even fucking bothering?

Apr 9, 2013 3:42 PM

ecoute said:
Monde11 said:
ecoute said:
Mormegil said:

15 pages. I couldn't believe it myself.
AOTD right here.

Apr 9, 2013 3:53 PM

okanagan said:

Wait, what? That was sarcasm on my part, to illustrate how the episode was boring.
And did you just say hair doesn't grow down there? And why are we debating this in the first place?

ReasonDesu said:
introverte said:
Mormegil said:

This is another typical pasing issue, I would hazard a guess a lot of the people saying this haven't watched slow paced psychological shows like Lain, Texhnolyze etc, that's probably why it feels off to them. If not idk, I like slow shows sometimes.

Nah. I've seen both Lain and Texhnolyze, and loved them. Point is, stuff actually happened in their first episodes. In Lain especially, you knew there was something going on.

In Aku no Hana, however, the pacing was just far too slow. Had they not included shots of the flower blooming, no one(except for the manga readers) would have tuned in to the next episode. There'd be no hook.

Apr 9, 2013 3:55 PM

okanagan said:

I predict a trend towards more "anime noire".

That's an interesting prediction. I don't believe the trend will come soon enough. It depends on the sale of Aku no Hana, and based on fan's reaction alone, I think it's less likely to sell well. If that is the case, other producers will not so eager to jump in the trend.

In addition, moe anime is still dominant in the industry, and still bringing big cash. Japan seems to be a more stable market than the US due to cultural reasons. The country is more resistant to change while the US gets bored too quickly.

However, I agree that the current form of anime will not stay the same forever. Either Noire, or perhaps more realism anime, will take the majority in the future.

Apr 9, 2013 3:56 PM

Mormegil said:

Nah. I've seen both Lain and Texhnolyze, and loved them. Point is, stuff actually happened in their first episodes. In Lain especially, you knew there was something going on.

In Aku no Hana, however, the pacing was just far too slow. Had they not included shots of the flower blooming, no one(except for the manga readers) would have tuned in to the next episode. There'd be no hook.

I can see where you are coming from, it's been so long since I watched both shows I mentioned I can hardly remember the first ep, but I remember them being slow shows.

I didn't even think the flower blooming shots were that good, I dug the awkward atmosphere it built and the realistic animation/movement and as someone who has not read the manga I can tell you I'm compelled to watch the next episode, so I wouldn't make assumptions so quickly. I bet I'm not alone.

Apr 9, 2013 3:59 PM

ReasonDesu said:

I dug the awkward atmosphere it built and the realistic animation/movement and as someone who has not read the manga I can tell you I'm compelled to watch the next episode, so I wouldn't make assumptions so quickly. I bet I'm not alone.

True dat ;)

Apr 9, 2013 4:03 PM

Wow, I was pretty excited for this, but after reading the first couple of posts...
I guess I'll have to pass on this as well.

Apr 9, 2013 4:05 PM

Nitro_Eurobeatz said:
Wow, I was pretty excited for this, but after reading the first couple of posts...

Don't succumb to the flame. At least try the first episode and join it. You should never take MAL seriously ( ¬‿¬)
Modified by ReasonDesu, Apr 9, 2013 4:09 PM

Apr 9, 2013 4:06 PM

The first episode of Lain is actually very intense as it introduces the main character's twisted view of reality quite clearly.

But anyway I don't have an issue with slow pacing. I do if I don't see progress, which is a very different thing and what happens at Aku no Hana. In the way it is told, it seems the story anticipates things before they are actually developed (as if it was aware of having a finished manga story behind and instead of creating those feelings they were trying to bring them back from somewhere, I guess so because this is probably mainly directed at the manga fans/readers), and that attempt at creating an atmosphere before I can even start to notice the events that make it grow in that way is what I can't enjoy about this first episode.

Apr 9, 2013 4:06 PM

ReasonDesu said:
Nitro_Eurobeatz said:

Done succumb to the flame. At least try the first episode and join it. You should never take MAL seriously ( ¬‿¬)

Don't
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told

Pages (35) « First ... « 27 28 [29] 30 31 » ... Last »

Preview MangaManga Store