Forum Settings
Forums

Light Novel 'Kyoukai no Kanata' to be Animated

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 3, 2013 9:28 AM

Apr 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Yay for more KyoAni stuff that has nothing to do with Key. I hope it's good.

and lol @ 'Won't watch because of glasses.' I'm so glad I'll never be able to understand where that's coming from.

One would think people would actually watch because of glass wearing female MC.
Apr 3, 2013 9:30 AM

Aug 2009
-MgZ_ said:
I don't think the glasses girl was bad. I like the design quite a bit since its something new. Oh well, time will tell.

ssjokg said:
-MgZ_ said:
I wish Mio was more like her.

Do you mean you are reading the novel and she's the complete opposite of Mio?
I meant in appearance.She DOES look like Mio but she also looks more "mature".
Apr 3, 2013 9:33 AM

Apr 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
and lol @ 'Won't watch because of glasses.' I'm so glad I'll never be able to understand where that's coming from.

Just think of it as any other kind of fetish. I'm sure there are people here who wouldn't watch a show where a little girl is the main character or a chubby girl is the main character. Different strokes for different folks.

Apr 3, 2013 9:35 AM

Jul 2012
so this doesn't has moe girls? I think I'll pass

just kidding, definitely a must-watch to me, the plot sounds promising
Apr 3, 2013 9:36 AM

Nov 2008
Light Novels adaptations are taking over anime, and I don't like it.
Apr 3, 2013 9:37 AM

Sep 2012
Drizzy_Drake said:
At least it means that anime is still being made in numbers and you still do not need to pay for your anime (or only pay very little).
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 3, 2013 9:38 AM

Apr 2010
Drizzy_Drake said:

Whats wrong with light novels? Its just another format.

Apr 3, 2013 9:40 AM

Feb 2010
RyanSaotome said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Just think of it as any other kind of fetish. I'm sure there are people here who wouldn't watch a show where a little girl is the main character or a chubby girl is the main character. Different strokes for different folks.

I'd always find it weird to just drop a show for one outward feature of one character. Makes me think people don't care about the show itself but are just looking for specific features to observe no matter in what context or setting, which could as well be done in a still picture (yes I'm not entirely serious with this comparison). That was what I'll never understand. But the good thing is I don't need to, as you you said 'different strokes for different folks'.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 3, 2013 9:44 AM

Apr 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
RyanSaotome said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I'd always find it weird to just drop a show for one outward feature of one character. Makes me think people don't care about the show itself but are just looking for specific features to observe no matter in what context or setting, which could as well be done in a still picture (yes I'm not entirely serious with this comparison). That was what I'll never understand. But the good thing is I don't need to, as you you said 'different strokes for different folks'.

Well, I won't deny that the first thing that draws me to any anime is the character designs and artwork. Generally, if they are good, I'll try it... that doesn't guarantee I'll like it or even continue it, but it gives me a lot more motivation to try something then if I don't like how the character designs look. For example, this season a lot of people are hyped for that Attack on Titan show.. but the character designs and art look absolutely terrible to me, so I have no interest in checking it out.

Apr 3, 2013 9:48 AM

Jan 2011
Akihito - Fukuyama Jun
Mirai - Kana Hana
Mitsuki - Mikyuki Sawashiro
Hiromi - Hiroshi Kamiya

Probably
[center]
Apr 3, 2013 9:49 AM

Feb 2010
RyanSaotome said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
RyanSaotome said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Well, I won't deny that the first thing that draws me to any anime is the character designs and artwork. Generally, if they are good, I'll try it... that doesn't guarantee I'll like it or even continue it, but it gives me a lot more motivation to try something then if I don't like how the character designs look. For example, this season a lot of people are hyped for that Attack on Titan show.. but the character designs and art look absolutely terrible to me, so I have no interest in checking it out.

Surprisingly many (surprising to me) choose what to watch like you, especially in anime I think. I'm the polar opposite, I usually just take a glimpse at the synopsis and the MAL picture and then decide if there's a chance for me to end up liking it. I don't watch PVs, don't look at character designs or anything.
People are different ^^.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 3, 2013 9:57 AM

Sep 2012
Actually I would say that most fans in Japan care a lot about the character designs and artwork, which is why many fans are able to get some inklings about how popular a show will be based on the key visuals and character design. Of course animation seen in PV and the names of key staff and seiyuu, as well as the setting and the story summary, are also important factors for pre-season estimation of show popularity, but character design is considered a key factor too. And I always imagine how I would like a show if the character design looks different and I just have to say that if the art style is changed to those commonly seen in western cartoon most likely I would watch a lot less anime. At the end enjoyment of an anime is a combination of a lot of things including story, artwork, animation, music, voice dubbing performance, directing etc and so one part going seriously deficient (to me personally) can just take most of the fun out. I would say that this is why many fans in Japan would be drawn to certain anime even if it does not have the best story. To them it is the balance of the combination of all the factors that is appealing. That said, losing interest of a show purely due to the presence of an eyeglasses-wearing main character goes beyond the general character design art style -- it indeed sounds like a kind of fetish.
symbvApr 3, 2013 10:00 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 3, 2013 10:00 AM

Sep 2009
Hell yeah. I really liked the PV they made so it would be good to see a full anime
Apr 3, 2013 10:12 AM

Jun 2009
Yay! I really wanted this to be made into anime when the CM appeared and now it's coming true! ^^ It seems that KyoAni are very active lately. :D
Apr 3, 2013 10:22 AM

Jun 2008
FUCKYEAH : D
Apr 3, 2013 10:47 AM

Jul 2012
Oooh

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Apr 3, 2013 10:50 AM

Oct 2012
hmm...seems interesting. I'll look forward to watching this.

Apr 3, 2013 11:28 AM

Nov 2009
Well I'm really, really happy! I remember seeing the CM when it first came out and then getting really disappointed when I found out that it wasn't for an actual anime. Seeing Kyoani do something more actiony is pretty cool. Also, glasses girl is ultra cute!

What "Adolescence" do you have?
Do you remember "Childhood"?
The irreplaceable one existed there.

Apr 3, 2013 11:36 AM

Jun 2011
GET HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE
Apr 3, 2013 11:46 AM

Jan 2008
I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS!!
Apr 3, 2013 11:59 AM

Jul 2008
It will be nice to see something different.
Apr 3, 2013 12:09 PM

Sep 2010
Ejc said:

symbv, how are the male KyoAni fans reacting in Japan? I recall some of them were not happy at KyoAni for releasing that "swimming" CM.

EDIT: Someone has already made a queued DB entry for Kyoukai no Kanata.

If KyoAni makes Swimming Anime there will be two females in the main cast along with the guys so that will please both the otaku and the fujoshi lol. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 3, 2013 12:15 PM

Aug 2011
hope it's not as awful as Hyouka
Apr 3, 2013 12:30 PM
Oct 2011
What. You skip Swimming Anime to do this?!
What
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/darkdoll25&sclick=1">
Apr 3, 2013 12:37 PM

Oct 2007
RyanSaotome said:
Drizzy_Drake said:

Well this is just my pov but I find they tend to have more drawbacks than other sources for anime. For starters the degree to which they tend to be steeped in otaku culture with lots of references and in a school settings cam sometimes be a bit of a bore for some and downright obtuse for others. There's also a tendency towards adding more and more cute girls by the volume which can lead to bogging down of ongoing plot. Writing wise they tend to have rather simplistic dialogue and prose on average and because they are a very dialogue driven medium with images limited to the cover and some key pages they often lead to talking head syndrome in anime when the director lacks the imagination to think up their own visual cues for scenes when few specifics are given which is sadly often these days. By comparison at least manga and Visual novels can give inexperienced directors those visual cues to go on to make scenes more dynamic.

They also just kind of lack a strong source of inspiration for aspiring authors like a Tezuka Osamu who helped inspire and usher in a generation of manga and even anime artists, writers and producers in the 60s.
Apr 3, 2013 12:39 PM

Aug 2009
DOES THIS MEAN SWIMMING ANIME CAN HAPPEN TOOO!?!!?!?!!?
Apr 3, 2013 12:46 PM

Aug 2011
Woah sounds awesome, I saw this CM a while back and I thought it would be great if KyoAni made the LN into a full series. It'd be nice if they did the Swimming Anime thing too though XD although that may be too much to ask.
Apr 3, 2013 12:47 PM

Nov 2010
Lulexiaa said:
DOES THIS MEAN SWIMMING ANIME CAN HAPPEN TOOO!?!!?!?!!?
This was originally a LN, afaik the swimming one was just a commercial with no original material. So it would be way less likely.

OT: Yes, a great looking meganekko. I am definitely watching this.
Apr 3, 2013 12:47 PM
Dec 2011
Cant wait for this !!!
Apr 3, 2013 12:50 PM

Aug 2011
DraconisMarch said:
KyoAni is completely dependent on source material for writing. God knows they can't write anything themselves. So it all depends on how shitty the LN is and how closely they follow it.

I think a good example of this is the most recent Tamako Market.
Apr 3, 2013 1:09 PM

Apr 2011
Seems good. I going to check this out!

UtsukushiiYume said:
DraconisMarch said:
KyoAni is completely dependent on source material for writing. God knows they can't write anything themselves. So it all depends on how shitty the LN is and how closely they follow it.

I think a good example of this is the most recent Tamako Market.

Yes, I thought Tamako Market was going to be good, but it was just decent.
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Apr 3, 2013 1:29 PM
Mar 2010
Now that is something bring it!!
Apr 3, 2013 1:32 PM

Sep 2011
symbv said:
Dalek-baka said:
symbv said:
Kitsu-nee said:
Wow, KyoAni is making anime without K-On! moe girls clones?! I won't believe it until I see it :O
And you see all the girls in KyoAni shows after K-On! as clones of girls in K-ON? I wonder what you have been watching....

In. terms of character design there is something clone-ish in their series.
That's precisely my point. If you just say "K-On moe girls clones" without specifying more you are talking not just the character designs but also personality, behavior, talking style, their interaction with other characters or the surrounding. This is what you'd call "clone", just looking similar in character design does not a "clone" make. Besides, even just the character design, where is the K-On clone in Nichijou?

RyanSaotome said:
Well, the reaction isn't too positive on Yaraon, which is a very otaku oriented site.
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-15468.html
People who infest the Yaraon comment section is notorious for their hostility to KyoAni (among a bunch of things). Other otaku sites I check is more neutral in their feedback.

The design does appeal to Otaku, most are "neutral" to it, there is no reason for them to be negative about this anime.
Apr 3, 2013 1:35 PM

Sep 2011
darkdoll25 said:
What. You skip Swimming Anime to do this?!
What

It was never an anime, this is adapted from a LN, the "swimming anime" is a CM to demonstrate their animations, and it was animated by KyoAni's sub-studio.
Apr 3, 2013 1:38 PM

Sep 2011
I'll check this out for sure, seems interesting!!
But all the clocks in the city
Began to whirr and chime:
'O let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time.
Apr 3, 2013 1:48 PM

May 2012
I remember back when the video came out and everyone screamed "Why doesn't KyoAni make a show like this isn't of Moeshit!". Well, so much for that.
Apr 3, 2013 2:15 PM

Apr 2010
Damn, more new and new anime adaptions from KyoAni and we're not getting any sequels GOSHDAMMIT!!!

"Can you feel that hybrid rainbow?"
Apr 3, 2013 2:22 PM

Jun 2010
waiting for the swinming anime to be next ~
Apr 3, 2013 2:25 PM

Jan 2008
giusex27 said:
Damn, more new and new anime adaptions from KyoAni and we're not getting any sequels GOSHDAMMIT!!!

Chuu2 may be getting a sequel.
Apr 3, 2013 3:29 PM

Jul 2011
I'm so for it!

Reminds me of RDG though. Hopefully it doesn't turn out the same.

Also reminds me of some other series I've watched, but I can't remember.
Apr 3, 2013 4:40 PM
Jun 2012
This looks so good~
Can't wait for it
:)
Apr 3, 2013 6:28 PM

Apr 2012
I hope its not lying to us and it turns out to be another moe show.
Apr 3, 2013 7:36 PM

Sep 2011
jmal said:
And the swimming thing was like the 6th or 8th or whatever CM. It's just the first one that anime news sites/blogs made a really frickin' big deal out of - and confused the hell out of a lot of people in the process, unfortunately.

Western anime sites, to be precise.
Apr 3, 2013 7:44 PM

May 2011
Was hoping KyoAni would do something like this eventually. Actually happened a lot sooner than I expected.
Apr 3, 2013 7:46 PM

Nov 2012
Will watch.
Apr 3, 2013 7:48 PM

Sep 2012
Ejc said:
symbv, how are the male KyoAni fans reacting in Japan? I recall some of them were not happy at KyoAni for releasing that "swimming" CM.
From what I could see, those who were not happy about the "swimming" CM are not KyoAni fans. They are more like the anti's. And the reactions about this news in Japan is pretty calm if you look away from the stubborn and vicious attacks by the KyoAni haters or opportunistic trolls there.

Apr 3, 2013 8:31 PM
Dec 2012
Looks--
good & cool. Will watch~
Apr 3, 2013 8:54 PM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
RyanSaotome said:
Drizzy_Drake said:
Well this is just my pov but I find they tend to have more drawbacks than other sources for anime. For starters the degree to which they tend to be steeped in otaku culture with lots of references and in a school settings cam sometimes be a bit of a bore for some and downright obtuse for others. There's also a tendency towards adding more and more cute girls by the volume which can lead to bogging down of ongoing plot. Writing wise they tend to have rather simplistic dialogue and prose on average and because they are a very dialogue driven medium with images limited to the cover and some key pages they often lead to talking head syndrome in anime when the director lacks the imagination to think up their own visual cues for scenes when few specifics are given which is sadly often these days. By comparison at least manga and Visual novels can give inexperienced directors those visual cues to go on to make scenes more dynamic.
I think this is putting the argument in reverse. What you said about the "drawbacks" are not the issue of LNs in general, but the LNs that get adapted into anime. And yet it is precisely because of the certain elements in those LNs which you described as "drawbacks", like school setting, pop or internet culture reference (mind you, it is not necessarily equal to otaku culture), cute girls etc in those LNs that they are picked to be animated. The world of LN is large and expanding very fast (it is the fastest growing segment of books in terms of sales in Japan) and so contains quite a variety of genres - some cater to female readers or mainstream taste (Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou), some actually used to belong to conventional novel category (Hyouka) or can easily be re-categorized as a conventional novel (Bakemonogatari, Another), and some cater to even more obscure taste (railroad hobby for example). That said, I don't deny that because more anime are now adapted from LN, there are now more LNs that seem to be written specifically as preparation for being adapted to anime. Those LNs are dismissed as "half-baked screenplay of anime" by more discerning LN readers -- but at least for those there is no "talking heads syndrome" you mentioned above.

And from what I read, many people in the industry find LN to have LESS drawbacks than other sources for anime - for example I have read accounts of how character designers and animators found it difficult to design characters and animate scenes for anime adapted from manga because cool-looking drawing for characters and action scenes in manga can be difficult to replicate in an anime, but fans of the original manga would get unhappy when the look is changed or simplified in the anime. No such problem for LN adaptation. Compared to manga or VN, LN offers more room for the animators to imagine the setting and scenes -- one thing that I often read in fans feedback in Japanese forums is how they like to see text they read in the LN being animated and how the animation matches or goes beyond what they imagine from reading the text. That kind of jump from text to image would be much less drastic in manga/VN adaptation.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
They also just kind of lack a strong source of inspiration for aspiring authors like a Tezuka Osamu who helped inspire and usher in a generation of manga and even anime artists, writers and producers in the 60s.
Well, from the interview of the author of Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou, he credited the rise of Light Novel for opening the door and lowering the hurdle for aspiring authors like him, who tried many times to get his work to be published as a novel but failed, but managed to get it published as a LN when he decided to drop his high-minded bias against the format. And then there are authors who used to write only on internet or small circulation publication but got famous by writing LNs. And even though the LN market has expanded very fast, the competition is still tense because the number of aspiring authors has increased even faster than the number of new titles. This is reflected in the increase of new entries for various LN awards and the fierce competition faced by LN authors (quick turnover is quite common). I can also see publishers wanting to keep a standard even in such fast expanding market -- there are times when a grand prize was skipped because no entry work was deemed to be worth it. One thing that is different from Osamu's days is that whereas in those days anime was in its infancy and manga was still quickly growing and still far away from its peak, the current manga market is mature and in unquestionable decline (in terms of copies published, almost all manga magazines have registered drop, some substantially) whereas publishers credit LNs for rejuvenating the juvenile fiction market and getting them to read more and now they see it grabbing more and more of the young adult market as those LN readers grow up and keep the reading hobby.
symbvApr 3, 2013 9:04 PM

Apr 3, 2013 9:46 PM
Mar 2010
So happy about this. Remember seeing the cm and wishing it was a full series.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Apr 3, 2013 10:30 PM

Apr 2011
This looks interesting
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 39 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
39 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 2 hours ago

3 by trinitroglycerin »»
48 minutes ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 2 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

3 by Etherius_ZS »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.