Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 18, 2008 11:29 AM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wonderful ending. I truly love this series. I was thinking it might not live up to Crest of the Stars (as most sequels usually fall short), but it was well done in its own right. I can't wait to start the third chapter in this series (Banner of the Stars II or Seikai no Senki II).
Feb 9, 2009 1:23 PM

Sep 2008
Yesterday I spent a few hours with great show called Crest of the stars.
Today I spent a few hours with another great show called Banner of the stars...now moving onto the sequel...so far so great...
Feb 17, 2009 11:02 PM

Feb 2008
btw, the opening credits show images of various galaxies that were taken by the Hubble telescope. It is rather interesting because it is supose to be decomissioned within a couple years to four years. There are many people who do not know how much information that telescope has provided the scientific community and the world. including the making of a rather relevant opening credit to this show.
Aug 25, 2009 11:13 AM

May 2009
I felt like this anime is the very definition of average. There is absolutely nothing wrong in this show, there is nothing to criticize there are no faults, no flaws, nothing left to be desired but there is also nothing that makes this show stand out. There is almost nothing in this show that I could point out to someone and tell them to watch it because of it. Then, there is nothing that would make me tell someone to avoid it. I just dunno, it was entertaining I guess.

The ending made me feel like that the main characters were right back at square one. They get a new ship to replace the old one and head back out. Plot wise yeah stuff changed but it just didn't feel that way to me. You could almost skip this series and go to the second, just like you can skip Crest of Stars and watch this.

Don't recommend me something that is still publishing, unless its close to being finished. Don't recommend me anything that isn't licensed.
Sep 8, 2009 10:28 PM

Jun 2009
Creepazoid said:
I felt like this anime is the very definition of average. There is absolutely nothing wrong in this show, there is nothing to criticize there are no faults, no flaws, nothing left to be desired but there is also nothing that makes this show stand out. There is almost nothing in this show that I could point out to someone and tell them to watch it because of it. Then, there is nothing that would make me tell someone to avoid it. I just dunno, it was entertaining I guess.

The ending made me feel like that the main characters were right back at square one. They get a new ship to replace the old one and head back out. Plot wise yeah stuff changed but it just didn't feel that way to me. You could almost skip this series and go to the second, just like you can skip Crest of Stars and watch this.

Well, the main point of the show is Lafiel and Jinto's relationship. And, I think that that is exactly what stands out on this show. Their relationship isn't forced, and it feels very genuine imo. Especially when compared to most other anime.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 27, 2009 6:39 PM
May 2009
I enjoyed this series as well。 I can't wait to be able to read the novels, should be even better。 It's a shame that the seasons/series are so short though, watching through it in one day is somewhat depressing。

I also now have a strong desire to play Homeworld。。。
Apr 20, 2010 12:42 PM

Jul 2009
Best sci-fi anime so far. I don't care much for Jinto-Lafiele relationships (coz admiral Spoor is my favorite XD ) but there is no other cartoon that combine good plot and science fiction attributes with such brilliance. Love those series. =)
If I could fly...
Jun 30, 2010 5:54 PM

Jan 2010
Almost as wonderful as its prequel and so freaking underrated.
werrstonMay 13, 2011 7:37 AM
Oct 3, 2010 3:14 PM

May 2010
I don't understand why they focused so much on the admirals.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 10, 2011 9:22 AM

Jan 2011
I'm pretty pissed of not knowing if this series is ever going to end. The author hasn't written anything in 4-5 years =(... I would hate to see it end this after 3
Be humble or be humbled.
Apr 23, 2011 5:31 PM

Jul 2009
The thing I love most about this show is how Lafiel and Jinto's relationship feels so natural. It's an amazing thing, for me, since most of the animes I've watched recently always have those "tsundere childhood friend who kicks your ass all the time" or the "shy girl" and all the other stereotypes.
This is what I love most about Seikai no Senki.
Apr 24, 2011 2:18 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Great story and great saga. Cant wait to move on to Banner of the Stars II
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 30, 2011 11:39 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Rewatched Banner of the Stars and I cannot help but thinking that if this series had come out a decade earlier it would have been a massive hit. Incredibly underrated.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 22, 2011 12:02 PM

Feb 2009
Gesicht said:

My feelings exactly, there's nothing that really stands out in this series, but I still get drawn to its great atmosphere. Although I don't feel like you could skip it, there's a lot of character development in both and there's a plot that does move, albeit a bit confusing with all the parties and whatnot.
Jun 28, 2012 1:54 PM

Jul 2009
Jinto & Lafiel's relationship hasn't changed that much, I'll grant that. But sometimes, relationships are slow.

And about the admirals? They might've focused on Spoor, because I find her to be quite the skilled admiral. The Bebaus twins because , even though they're part of the clan/family of 'Spectacular Insanity', they didn't do a lot of crazy stuff, and they were Lafiel's commander at the battlefront. Or they could've just focused to take a break from the direct battle, and show how people not at the front were handling things.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Feb 26, 2013 11:44 PM

Aug 2010
Overall ok, biggest grips are the tons of pointless repetitive chats between the higher ranked, and the hundreds of random copy-pasted fighting scenes that take the half the whole show.
Apr 25, 2013 6:04 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah its a slow moving show, but that is part of its appeal. Its what sets it apart from the other sci-fi/mecha series.

I give it a solid 7/10.
Nov 20, 2013 7:33 AM

Nov 2009
Hahaha the words he was looking to respond to were "I would be saddened if you died"? I thought she confessed to him or something, but all she did was say, I would be sad if my friend died . . .
Feb 17, 2014 3:30 AM

Aug 2013
Oh just hook up already lol >__< Oh and it took me 12 episodes to realize Sobaash is female. So that's why Samson blushed during their drinking session.

I can't help but like the Abhs. The supreme commander kept trolling his chief of staff, Admiral Spoor gets bored even in the middle of combat and Admiral Bebous took a bath in the middle of a battle his fleet almost lost. Talk about characters :p
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 2, 2015 9:11 AM

Sep 2013
What did Lafiel tell Jinto that he cannot respond/answer to her yet?
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Feb 18, 2016 1:30 PM

Nov 2011
I feel like what Lafiel said was a really obvious thing to say, so building up to it that much was a bit misleading. If she had worded it more strongly it might have been better, but as is I don't think that was noteworthy enough to highlight so much.

It was still a good ending, and overall I felt that this sequel did the first season justice even though the first season seemed slightly better. Thematically speaking we got a lot more exploration of the individuals that make up the Abh rather than the Abh as a whole, which made for a good alternative viewpoint. I'm not sure if we could say Jinto and Lafiel's relationship changed any; if anything, they've only reinforced the bonds they have formed by then end of the last season. Even so, I think it's clear that they're edging toward the bigger issues.

Hopefully season three will live up to the first two seasons.
Aug 5, 2016 10:17 AM

Nov 2015
Overall this was weaker than Crest. I agree with Gesicht in that this show is totally average. I didn't like the focus on spacebattle. Half the time I have no idea what the fuck is going on and seeing lasers shot and mines explode gets really repetitive. Lafiels and Jintos relationship never gets any deeper. Jinto especially seems to be stuck as a supportive good friend character. I find nothing interesting in him.

Nevertheless it was entertaining and I dont regret spending my time watching this. On the other hand I wished there was more to stand out for this show.
Nov 13, 2017 3:17 PM

Feb 2013
4/10 (below average) I thought the first season was better... probably because it was more character centered. This one had more action, but I wouldn't say it was all that great.
Dec 3, 2017 9:18 PM

May 2016
...Are you guys serious? Do you actually not understand how special this is, and what makes it so? Can you not see how deceptively tough and resilient Lafiel and Jinto are? Can you not understand that what just happened WAS a love confession?

The Seikai series affected me more than any other anime, I was basically knocked out at the end. It saddens me to see people taking a quick look and dismissing it.

And this is one of the most "character centered" series I've ever seen, every scene involving Lafiel or Jinto is carefully placed so we can better understand the two of them and their relationship. Just because there isn't shitty exposition about how the characters are evolving (I am looking at you, Nadia...) it doesn't mean they aren't.

EDIT: Of course, not everyone will be equally affected by all anime. You can recognize something’s quality without being floored by it. But handwaving Seikai as some generic show is absurd.
Lease_of_LifeOct 19, 2023 3:48 PM
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Mar 20, 2018 12:20 PM

Aug 2014
The focus and banter between the Admirals and Commanders, particularly between the twins, were too long and was unnecessary imo. Beneej and her Chief of Staff were the only interesting ones.

Jinto did nothing worthwhile in this season, as well. He was just there to offer cringy lines while the other officers actually did the work.

Overall, first season was a lot better.
Apr 1, 2019 2:17 PM

Jul 2014
Oh, it seems I was wrong about the triple-alliance's battle plan.

I was certain they had a clever plan in mind, as when the war began. Back then they attacked one system and when the Abh's fleet came to reclaim it, their main force was already attacking another system.
Aug 27, 2019 3:50 AM

Jan 2018
Lease_of_Life said:
...Are you guys serious? Do you actually not understand how special this is, and what makes it so? Can you not see how deceptively tough and resilient Lafiel and Jinto are? Can you not understand that what just happened WAS a love confession?

The Seikai series affected me more than any other anime, I was basically knocked out at the end. It saddens me to see people taking a quick look and dismissing it.

And this is one of the most "character centered" series I've ever seen, every scene involving Lafiel or Jinto is carefully placed so we can better understand the two of them and their relationship. Just because there isn't shitty exposition about how the characters are evolving (I am looking at you, Nadia...) it doesn't mean they aren't.

It affected you so much cause you have barely seen anime, as a starter it would be cool. I share the opinion that there is nothing bad with this anime yet nothing that really makes it stand out, and the first season was more entertaining
Feb 24, 2020 2:56 PM

May 2016
abyss_will said:
Lease_of_Life said:

It affected you so much cause you have barely seen anime, as a starter it would be cool. I share the opinion that there is nothing bad with this anime yet nothing that really makes it stand out, and the first season was more entertaining

And yet you rated Ano Hana as very good and Ergo Proxy as a masterpiece. If you can’t understand how shallow those are in comparison to Seikai maybe you should watch less anime and really, really think about what you’re watching. Even Violet Evergarden, a show that reminds watchers of how average it is so often that it becomes aggressive is apparently a masterpiece in the eyes of many people in this website, which is perhaps one of the reasons I stopped visiting it months ago.

You’ve watched 150 days of anime up to today, and yet your list lack every essential Takahata movie. That alone should make me lose hope that you will ever understand what you’re watching, but I think that you’re just manifesting the symptoms of not being prepared to do so.

You can get out of that mindset, but your next step now will have to be leaving anime for a while and watching Ikiru and Seven Samurai. Watch them until you like them, as not liking one of those just meant you haven’t understood them yet. If you’re having trouble read Kurosawa’s autobiography, it is sure to help. Get to Tokyo Story. Get used to things left unsaid and pillow shots. Go back to anime, watch Takahata’s stuff as he might be the most important name in the industry.

I got into anime because at its best it embraces art and truly rejects mediocrity. The medium has limitless potential, which sometimes manifests itself in the most unexpected series. Who could imagine that Silver Spoon, 22 episodes of gross farm work, would make us realize so many things?

Anyway, when you’ve started appreciating the subtlety that is almost omnipresent in good anime (not that you have to leave the garish and exaggerated behind, From the New World was as subtle and gentle as the symphony that gave it its name, and yet the show would be perfect if not for its inconsistent animation) come back to Seikai. Maybe you’ll find out you missed something.

And Wandering Son is the best manga ever written. This doesn’t have anything to do with the rest of my post, but it seems like a waste to write a wall of text about anime and not say it even once.
Lease_of_LifeFeb 24, 2020 3:08 PM
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Aug 6, 2021 4:58 AM

Jul 2011
I did expect that the United Empire was trying to attack the other side and this attack was a distraction but seems like I overestimated them.

I wonder if they will still keep the cat next season. They keep saying they have to drop it off but it's never dropped off so...

It's somewhat slow paced but I never found it boring.

Aug 14, 2023 3:53 PM

Dec 2022
I thought Abriel would get himself slapped there, haha. "Both of them?" "Perhaps you don't know which one it was?" This guy is something else.

BotS had a notable focus on combat this time, and also gave more focus and personality to some of the previously overlooked admirals. Fortunately, like everything this anime does, these aspects were handled brilliantly.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seikai no Senki Episode 8 Discussion

kisami - Feb 17, 2009

16 by Rastrelly »»
Aug 17, 2023 7:03 AM

Poll: » Seikai no Senki Episode 4 Discussion

gohdan - Oct 15, 2010

14 by Rastrelly »»
Aug 17, 2023 6:59 AM

Poll: » Seikai no Senki Episode 12 Discussion

gohdan - Oct 22, 2010

10 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 14, 2023 3:13 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Senki Episode 11 Discussion

difenderu - Feb 19, 2010

6 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 14, 2023 2:46 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Senki Episode 10 Discussion

difenderu - Sep 7, 2009

11 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 14, 2023 2:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.