Forums

PM: Increase the inbox/sent messages limit [Approved]

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 21, 2015 12:04 PM

Oct 2009
Amidea said:
xbobx said:
You can always press "Home" on your keyboard to go back to the top.

Im using laptop, dont have that button

Same here
Nov 21, 2015 12:48 PM

Feb 2010
Serhiyko said:
Amidea said:
Im using laptop, dont have that button

Same here
It should be hidden behind Fn combination then (usually arrowkeys+Fn). It's kinda sad that such layout is no longer popular, but at least there's still this.
Also PgUp (and shift+space). Also clicking middle mouse button (wheel, emulated by touching touchpad with 2 fingers on most laptops) and moving cursor up.
Nov 21, 2015 12:58 PM

Oct 2009
vivan said:
It should be hidden behind Fn combination then (usually arrowkeys+Fn).

Well actually I have it, it's just broken

vivan said:
Also PgUp

Also broken

vivan said:
(and shift+space).

This one works, thanks. Although not when the cursor is inside the reply form

vivan said:
Also clicking middle mouse button (wheel, emulated by touching touchpad with 2 fingers on most laptops) and moving cursor up.

Rarely use mouse, and that emulation doesn't seem to work
Dec 1, 2015 6:39 PM

Aug 2012
I am seriously sick of MAL notifying me that my inbox is full of 100 messages. Especially when I wrote a really long message, clicked sent, inbox says it's full, click the back button, and everything is gone! I then have to start all over, trying my best to remember what I typed.

Can you guys please increase the storage space for our PM messages? I't's most likely impossible to keep conversing back and forth without having to delete a bunch of the messages when the inbox gets full.
Dec 1, 2015 7:06 PM

Apr 2014
Can't you just delete some message?
PM wasn't like email which is unlimited.
Even if it's increased it will be full again unless you delete some.
Haters always gonna hate.
Dec 1, 2015 10:14 PM

Aug 2012
Rayzer said:

It just fills up way too fast. I don't even keep track how much I have in my inbox. And when it gets full without me knowing and I try to send a message that was long and I couldn't get it back because it's all lost is so annoying.
Dec 1, 2015 11:47 PM

Oct 2009
Can't you just click F5 and resend?
Dec 2, 2015 4:00 AM

Apr 2014
M00ner said:

It just fills up way too fast.

We got Ms. Popularity in here. Can't you just do profile conversation if it's just chatting?
If it's not so private just do it on profiles. It's way better to converse there than using bland PM.

And for your problem on full inbox notification.
You can request that the notification should appear before you create a message instead of after trying to send it.
Dec 2, 2015 4:06 AM

Feb 2011
M00ner said:
Rayzer said:

It just fills up way too fast. I don't even keep track how much I have in my inbox. And when it gets full without me knowing and I try to send a message that was long and I couldn't get it back because it's all lost is so annoying.

it could also help if when the inboxoutbox is full it would auto-delete the oldest message, to make space for the new incoming one getting sent

but... doesn't it work on the opposite? messages you send go into the receiver inbox, and every user can only delete their inbox
or it blocks the sending when your own inbox is full too? i got it full only once and don't remember..
ZeandoDec 2, 2015 6:50 AM

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 2, 2015 4:08 AM

Dec 2011
Zeando said:

it could also help if when the inbox is full it would auto-delete the oldest message, to make space for the new incoming one

No thanks. I keep some of my old PMs for good reason - I don't want them getting automatically deleted whenever a mod gets round to dealing with database submissions I've made.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 2, 2015 4:52 AM

Feb 2011
kuuderes_shadow said:
No thanks. I keep some of my old PMs for good reason - I don't want them getting automatically deleted whenever a mod gets round to dealing with database submissions I've made.

i know, that would have worked if any user could delete their own outbox(=their own messages), instead of their inbox, but mal is special

it would have been an option anyway, like any feature should be
most of my messages are from mods so i wouldn't have minded as much

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 2, 2015 6:24 AM

Apr 2014
kuuderes_shadow said:

If some PM are valuable, I guess there should also be a PM backup/export. (xml or other format)
Zeando said:

i know, that would have worked if any user could delete their own outbox(=their own messages), instead of their inbox, but mal is special

What's this?
Dec 2, 2015 6:40 AM

Oct 2009
Rayzer said:
If some PM are valuable, I guess there should also be a PM backup/export. (xml or other format)

As an alternative in the meantime, you can just save the PM URLs and then delete them
Dec 2, 2015 6:48 AM

Feb 2011
Rayzer said:
What's this?
hadn't noticed it before (and i'm not sure that was always there, nor any multiselect delete feature is there yet, as in the inbox instead)
but wonder why the "box full" message seems to come up when your inbox is full, instead of coming up when the outbox gets full :/

i'm pretty sure i've never deleted any message from my outbox, but still got a "box full" message once
oh, and they should have increased the limit already, cause when i got my "box full" error i had only 50 messages into my inbox
ZeandoDec 2, 2015 6:54 AM

Dec 2, 2015 8:30 AM

Oct 2009
Zeando said:
(and i'm not sure that was always there,

And what were users supposed to do when they hit the limit? It was always there:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=296#msg10057

Zeando said:
nor any multiselect delete feature is there yet, as in the inbox instead)

You may use this userscript: http://greasyfork.org/scripts/562

Zeando said:
but wonder why the "box full" message seems to come up when your inbox is full, instead of coming up when the outbox gets full :/

It comes up in both cases

Zeando said:
i'm pretty sure i've never deleted any message from my outbox, but still got a "box full" message once

You probably have less than 100 sent messages then

Zeando said:
oh, and they should have increased the limit already, cause when i got my "box full" error i had only 50 messages into my inbox

It was always at 75. Maybe the number of your messages was miscalculated, click on "Fix Inbox" at the bottom of your messages
SerhiykoDec 2, 2015 8:34 AM
Dec 2, 2015 10:50 AM

Feb 2011
Serhiyko said:
Zeando said:
(and i'm not sure that was always there,

And what were users supposed to do when they hit the limit? It was always there:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=296#msg10057
i'm going by an hazy memory of the single time i saw it happen, guess i was wrong
so is there a limit for the outbox too? now i'm confused, what are the limits for both inbox and sent?

thanks for the script btw

Serhiyko said:
Zeando said:

It comes up in both cases
oh, that is good to know

but still wonder what use is there to make it pop out when you have an inbox full :/
i mean, the limit is there to limit the ammount of space each member uses, and you use space when you create a new message, meaning when you send a message, so shouldn't the notice of box full come out when you've sent too many things?

a limit on the inbox feels odd to me, unless it was made to allow mods to be able to always send any number of messages with no need to worry about limits, but mods could just not have any limit

Serhiyko said:
Zeando said:

It was always at 75. Maybe the number of your messages was miscalculated, click on "Fix Inbox" at the bottom of your messages
that should have been it

Dec 2, 2015 12:40 PM

Oct 2009
Zeando said:
now i'm confused, what are the limits for both inbox and sent?

I think I mentioned both of them in my post? In case I wasn't clear, it's 75 for inbox and 100 for sent

Zeando said:
but still wonder what use is there to make it pop out when you have an inbox full :/
i mean, the limit is there to limit the ammount of space each member uses, and you use space when you create a new message, meaning when you send a message, so shouldn't the notice of box full come out when you've sent too many things?

a limit on the inbox feels odd to me, unless it was made to allow mods to be able to always send any number of messages with no need to worry about limits, but mods could just not have any limit

Don't ask me. I wonder what use is there to have any limit at all, since when you delete any message, they are not even removed from the database: as I already said a couple posts above, you can view PMs even after you deleted them
Dec 2, 2015 12:58 PM

Feb 2011
Serhiyko said:
Zeando said:
now i'm confused, what are the limits for both inbox and sent?

I think I mentioned both of them in my post? In case I wasn't clear, it's 75 for inbox and 100 for sent
ok
i was confused cause apparently the op of this thread got confused too, since he said the notify of full inbox was about 100

Serhiyko said:
Don't ask me. I wonder what use is there to have any limit at all, since when you delete any message, they are not even removed from the database: as I already said a couple posts above, you can view PMs even after you deleted them
yep, very odd

anyway, what are the suggestions so far to deal with this?
-increase both inbox and sent limit
-notify about full boxes before sending a message
-keep the message cached if an error occurs, so it can be sent again once it's solved
-having inbox or outbox delete the oldest message once they get full, and give no more "full" notifies when active (option to enable or disable)

other related suggestions:
-option to export messages (xml or other format)
(if, there will be an update which erases deleted messages)(can't just a text copy-paste work too?)

Dec 3, 2015 5:08 AM

Apr 2014
Zeando said:

other related suggestions:
-option to export messages (xml or other format)
(if, there will be an update which erases deleted messages)(can't just a text copy-paste work too?)

A yeah, just as I said above.
At least quote me copy poster, damn it.
Jan 14, 2016 4:42 PM

Jan 2013
Duplicate Threads Merged

Both the inbox and sent box limits have been increased to 1000 messages, the performance of the boxes should also be improved.
_Ghost_Jan 14, 2016 4:56 PM
Jan 14, 2016 4:45 PM

Mar 2012
Now I don't need to delete PM any longer.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jan 14, 2016 4:48 PM

Jul 2012
Thank you, mal!!
Jan 14, 2016 6:49 PM
Jan 14, 2016 6:51 PM
Jul 2018
wow thats a huge increase. nice update!
Jan 14, 2016 7:35 PM

Nov 2014
Only took 8 years.

Jan 15, 2016 9:05 AM

Mar 2008
Great now I dont have to hassle as much. I was at my capacity for a long while and kept having to delete stuff.
Jan 15, 2016 10:33 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
ExTamplier said:
Only took 8 years.

Better late than never.
Jan 15, 2016 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
Increasing the maximum number of saved PMs shouldn't cause the site to lag, just some storage would've to be added to the server.
Jan 16, 2016 8:13 PM

Sep 2014
It's great improvement!
Jan 17, 2016 1:14 PM

Mar 2014
This is great news, and a great change for once.

Thanks MAL!
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 17, 2016 1:27 PM
Mar 2015
_Ghost_ said:
Duplicate Threads Merged

Both the inbox and sent box limits have been increased to 1000 messages, the performance of the boxes should also be improved.

This is simply awesome; thanks MAL!
Aug 3, 2022 6:49 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Are these amounts still the same?

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Dec 7, 2022 11:52 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I appreciate the inbox limit was increased to 1K from the original suggestion, however, I think it's time it is increased again. I am constantly fighting against the limit whenever I get new DB notifications. I don't mind deleting these, but I don't want to delete my conversations with people, and I've been running out of things to get rid of. I would love a limit up to 10,000 (or more), but I'll take anything at this point.
Apr 28, 2023 12:31 PM

Jun 2021
"You may only have 1000 messages in your inbox at a time. Please remove some before trying to send another message."

Why is there even a limit? I can't reply to a recent message I received. I'm not keen on deleting old messages received/sent. Can we have an option to archive some messages? I often check back on notifs for my submissions. I don't wanna delete those. Please consider increasing the inbox limit (1,000) as well as the watched topics limit (600) or just remove the limits. OR just separate the inbox or limit for personal messages from submission notifs. Submission notifs shouldn't really add to the limit.
IridescentJauneApr 28, 2023 12:41 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.