Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2007 9:08 PM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
WOW! Anyone seen this yet? I fell in love with the animation. I looked like a manga came to life. Apparently this started off as a Cup O Noodle commercial? If anyone knows more about it I would love to know.
May 28, 2008 6:39 PM

Jan 2008
I found out about this OVA just now~ and I'm really interested. I looked for it ... but I can't find it anywhere. Do you know where I can watch it? ^__^
May 31, 2008 7:17 AM

Jan 2008
Gonna repeat my blog episode reaction ('cause its ever-changing whereas this thread will remain):

Its been a while since I saw some ambitious sci-fi. Its such a blast seeing Katsuhiro Otomo's designs animated again! The facial expressions were great, although the characters themselves felt a bit too CGI-ish and not very interesting either. The backgrounds however are very impressive.

This is also the first anime where I've already known the OP music (yes I'm a Utada Hikaru fan...) Actually I also recognised the soundtrack composer without even checking them up too, it sounded very similar to Ergo Proxy which was scored by Yoshihiro Ike.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 13, 2008 3:28 AM
Apr 2008
Interesting start to a series. I enjoyed the story and the scope but i'm not sure about the computer animation style. Feels like a cross between Speed Racer and Cowboy Bebop maybe....

To the first two posts: Yoroshiku fansubs have subbed and released it :)

Apr 23, 2009 10:00 PM

Nov 2007
I, uh...really didn't like the animation style. Not the designs themselves, but the CG seemed awkward. Other than that, good start and looking forward to the plot.

Needs more Cup Noodle.
Sep 19, 2011 1:38 PM

Aug 2010
Ending really had me hooked!
Jan 9, 2013 4:40 PM

Jul 2008
Okay, obviously there's some sort of political angle/cover up going on here from what i can gather. CG was a little awkward, but I got past it. I am interested to see what develops out of the picture.
Jan 12, 2013 1:26 PM

May 2012
Damn just amazing, I really loved this first episode especially that ending made me really wonder what's up with earth and than the racing was just amazing!

Really nice start I wonder what's next! Even though this is 3D they did a great job still getting in that 2D look and feel! Really amazing!
Oct 3, 2013 10:52 PM

Apr 2009
Looks like Nissin cup noodles, did Nissin sponsor this? LOL

Surprised the photograph/postcard survived the impact with not a bit of scratch, burn, or tear. After Kazuma's little sister, we got the new girl in the photograph whom Takeru takes interest now. XD Oh
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 1, 2014 1:46 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Real good looking animation and art. Not to impressed at the story so far but it can get better.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 10, 2014 3:42 AM

Feb 2012
Apollo 11, a true legend.
I am really keen to find out what happens next.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Sep 12, 2015 1:45 AM
Jul 2014
Been looking whole year for this Anime and couldn't find it anywhere. But I just had a hunch it's worth to persevere the quest for it. Now that I've seen first episode it turns out my intuition was dead on. Amazing art,a bit different from what we're used to and for all Space genre fans this sure is a must-see! I know it isn't just about racing and that the story will develop even more interestingly... For now I give it 8/10.
Oct 25, 2018 1:11 PM

Jan 2014
first impression: this mc isnt mature enough to get the message

second impression: his lifelong goal is to find a girl XD

well this is interesting enough for me
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Dec 31, 2018 4:58 PM
Oct 2018
The 3d isn't great, but its not that bad either, and as a fan of Otomo, and old Apollo-era space exploration, overall I'm pretty impressed.

Otomo's backgrounds and mechanical design are on point as usual, but to be supet-nitpicky, for some reason that goofy bowling-ball steering dealy on all the vehicles really irks me. You'd think the guy who designed the Akira bikes could come up with something better than that.

First impression- looks like a decent 8, maybe even 9 if the story is good. Easily the best instant noodle commercial I've seen.

[And to the guy 5 years ago saying "the postcard would be burnt up after the crash"- moon = no atmosphere = no friction, no heat, no possibility of fire. It might get torn up, though.]
Dec 25, 2023 10:38 PM

Jul 2020
Really awesome first episode. Loved the focus on racing, the connection to the moon landing and the tease at the end. Feels like just the type of sci-fi that is all too hard to find within the realm of anime. Only real negative is the animation, which isn't exactly awful but at the same time 2006 era TV CGI isn't exactly ideal.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Freedom Episode 7 Discussion

Jacut - Jul 11, 2008

22 by SlammyHammy »»
Jun 5, 2023 7:21 PM

Poll: » Freedom Episode 6 Discussion

Jacut - May 28, 2008

11 by jakov »»
Sep 13, 2015 4:10 AM

Poll: » Freedom Episode 5 Discussion

8GaugeBrett - Mar 19, 2008

10 by jakov »»
Sep 12, 2015 5:24 AM

Poll: » Freedom Episode 4 Discussion

Dima - Oct 17, 2007

14 by jakov »»
Sep 12, 2015 4:32 AM

Poll: » Freedom Episode 3 Discussion

Harout - Dec 6, 2008

10 by jakov »»
Sep 12, 2015 3:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.