Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Apr 6, 2013 2:39 PM

Oct 2012
Another average harem. But animation is good and character design also. It's shame I cannot say the same about main premise.

Well, let's see where this will go further.
Apr 6, 2013 2:50 PM

Jul 2010
I kinda had the feeling that his little sister was putting up an act. Turns out I was right.

So he has to let them fall for him in order to stop their chaos, oh boy. Kinda on the fence on this one so far. Let's see where it goes.

Apr 6, 2013 3:29 PM

Jan 2013
I liked it, it's interesting. Will definitely stick if it gets better
shido and kannazuki reminds me of shu and gai
Apr 7, 2013 4:27 AM

Feb 2011
This was amazing, loved this episode and the quality of the animation is insane if you download it.
I'm gonna guess the horrible quality was because of it being pre aired. Hopefully next weeks episode has better quality.
Apr 7, 2013 5:33 AM

Jun 2012
Mich666 said:
Another average harem.

Yeah, another.
What did you expect actually? It's like a dating sim. There won't be ONE girl.

Actually who cares if it's a harem if the harem's interesting?
Apr 7, 2013 6:16 AM

Jul 2012
First Impression:

Lol wtf

Content

Fanservice ? [...] Check!
Imouto? [...] Check!
Parody? [...] Check!
Everything else that is cliche? [...] Check!

Really funny, but silly. I think I enjoy this one.

Characters

Imouto instant love.
Rei Clone instant love.
Fuck the rest.

Animation

Colorful and well done. Nothing amazing but good enough.
CG looks fine too.

Sound

Quirky, pop, fitting

Enjoyment 5/5

Good stupid show. Looking forward to next ep.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Apr 7, 2013 7:20 AM

May 2012
Mr Shisukon.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Apr 7, 2013 9:16 AM

Sep 2011
The idea sounds so stupid I might end up liking this.Yeah,I'll keep watching
Apr 7, 2013 12:40 PM

Sep 2009
waaaaaaaa!! KOTORI IS SO CUTE >< but somewhere near the end, the real kotori showed up. i want that fake fotori who is so cute saying "onii-chan"..

I don't like the voice of Shidou. Not fit for his face. Maybe the voice that would fit in him.. like Haru's voice (Accel World).

i laughed so hard when murasame became the Physics teacher and then suddenly fainted in front of the class :D
Apr 7, 2013 2:46 PM

Feb 2011
loves it o:
Apr 7, 2013 3:19 PM
Oct 2012
I really like the art!
the episode started great, the scene about getting up and this illness was pretty funny but i think the second half of the episode was not so good :/ well, it was nice though

shidos sister reminds me too much of Yuniko Kouzuki from accel world and i'm kind of annoyed about her (i think kotori was her name?) i liked her better in the beginning <<

but i hope the main chara doesn't turn out to be helpless and pushed around by the girls, the preview for the next episode kind of looks like that
Apr 7, 2013 4:43 PM

Dec 2008
How can there be so many 5's? This anime is so cliche, generic and garbage. I'm dropping out before my brain cells commit seppuku.
Apr 7, 2013 5:59 PM

Dec 2011
This might be at least an average decent watch.
But I might drop this for the time being and continue watching later when I find more time to continue.
Apr 7, 2013 7:33 PM
Mar 2013
Dat pantyshot while midair. YAY!
Apr 7, 2013 7:57 PM

Feb 2010
I hope it ends with incest.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2013 9:18 PM

Nov 2012
Thank god for animes like this, this season. I was starting to lose all hope after the shitfest we had last season.

Gonna call it from now, but definitely a major contender for anime of the season.

Episode Naxcore: 4.44 out of 5
Apr 7, 2013 10:38 PM

Jul 2008
Oh, Infinite Stratos with aliens.

Or Busou Shinki upsized.
Apr 7, 2013 11:21 PM

Feb 2013
I found it very entertaining, seems like there will be a good mix of comedy and action, I cant wait to see more, this season has me so excited.
[/url]
Apr 7, 2013 11:30 PM

Jan 2008
I sure hope there's some kinda explanation to a middle schooler being a commander of a top level of confidentiality national organization.
Apr 8, 2013 5:15 AM
Apr 2013
Sooo, opening had this amazing imouto, but turns tsun afterwards. Major diappointment and reminds me too much of Kirino in OreImo, whom I hate with passion. Shame, really.

The rest of the show seems interesting with fun characters. Reine looks really cool so far.
Apr 8, 2013 7:36 AM
Jun 2009
At first I was like.. meh, not again... this "onii-chan" thing. But then the twist. It was a twist that made it seem interesting, but not entirely epic. So it is an 4/5 for now.
Apr 8, 2013 7:39 AM

Nov 2011
Welil said:
I sure hope there's some kinda explanation to a middle schooler being a commander of a top level of confidentiality national organization.

Maybe she's a member of MITHRIL?
Apr 8, 2013 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
Ok, Kotori turned out to be a total bitch. I could even drop this thing because of her.
Will give this a few more episodes and see if that bitch gets more screen time than I can handle.
That abomination of a little sister aside, this seems like an interesting watch.
Apr 8, 2013 7:12 PM
Jul 2018
My stages on this anime:

First scene, oh damn! looks interesting, a freaking big explosion? coooool!
The imouto shows up and some silly sh*t, okay, NO, NOT ANOTHER SISCON ANIME!!!, ore no imouto is enough!
Continue to progress since the art and character design is top notch! Then the Princess appears with freaking LOTR-like bgm, HOLY FREAKING SAUCES! I opened my mouth wide, glued my eyes to the screen to enjoy the awesome combat scenes that followed. When the Princess threw her big-purple-particle-lighting-cross-slash, I almost fell out of my chair. DAMN! I almost reached orgasm.
Surprise one after another, this cute little sister turn out to be some big general of a high-technology organization fighting against this alien thing and she is a freaking sadistic!?
The ending, damn, another weird ending yet again, really resembles the ending from Aku no Hana in the way the talk instead of sing.

All in all, superb in art, character design and a good amount of everything: mecha, comedy, sister, gay!?, no emotion girl and many more girls to come and a game-like feeling. DAMN, this, my fellow friends, is what most of us (may be only me) expect from watching an anime, no thinking, no questioning, just pure enjoyment.

Am I the only one think this is just too short? Just when thing is about to get good, it is over. *sight, pull up pants.
Apr 8, 2013 7:12 PM

Dec 2011
There were numerous turnoffs from this first episode. If like the next two don't really improve, then I'm likely giving up on this.
Apr 8, 2013 7:15 PM

Mar 2012
neontaster said:
Welil said:

Maybe she's a member of MITHRIL?
This won't get an explaination if they only adapt till vol 3.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 8, 2013 8:00 PM

Apr 2010
That first scene with Kotori was hilarious. Though, I find it quite mediocre.
Apr 8, 2013 9:13 PM

May 2010
yup yup, lot's of these kinds of anime this season. which is good for me because i love these types. this one seems good too. damn though, kotori really fooled me lol.. thought she was just going to be a regular imouto. oh well, can't wait til next ep
Apr 9, 2013 12:17 AM

Nov 2008
yayy another good one this season!
http://www.youtube.com/swiftstylez - My AMV's. I would really appreciate any comments and ratings :]

Apr 9, 2013 5:35 AM

Jun 2011
I don't even know why I was expecting something from this.

First impressions: 4/10
Apr 9, 2013 11:15 AM

Aug 2010
At first I was kinda hoping this would be a role of Taketatsu Ayana that I wouldn't loath with my whole soul, then she does the 180 and now I could beat her to death with her lollipop.

Apart from this not a bad episode, some fanservice, some action, delicious Inoue Marina, will keep watching 3/5.
Apr 9, 2013 12:38 PM

Jun 2010
I am confused.

What? I thought this is an anticipated show this season?

Well, I actually had a high hopes for this considering the hype it made.

Quite disappointed but gonna keep watching it.
Apr 9, 2013 3:58 PM

Dec 2010
At first I thought this show was so generic I was wtf'ing how it could come out this day and age then the loli sister turned commander sadist made it so much better and interesting.

Oh yes! Keep those verbal and physical abuse coming please! Talk down on me please!
Apr 9, 2013 9:10 PM
May 2012
When i saw the dating sim, i was like, "Kami Nomi?" so i'm gonna keep watching if this looks like it, but then i think this is gonna get interesting.
Apr 10, 2013 11:20 PM

Oct 2009
My impression of first episode:

I feel like watching Chaos;Head with less ecchi...
Please tell me this is not Chaos;Head with less ecchi.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 11, 2013 3:19 AM

Jun 2012
azzuRe said:
My impression of first episode:

I feel like watching Chaos;Head with less ecchi...
Please tell me this is not Chaos;Head with less ecchi.

I haven't watched chaos head but I have read a lot of reviews about it.

Chaos Head is a show that has a lot of suspense and drama. It is a show, despite the ecchi, that is fairly serious. Chaos Head is apparently similar to 11 eyes, a show I have watched and didn't enjoy all that much.

Date A Live is shaping up to be a fun show that doesn't take itself too seriously but does have serious moments. It is a complete different experience. Think infinite stratos or Kore Wa Zombie in regards to the mood.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Apr 11, 2013 12:39 PM

Mar 2013
Only watched this cause it was so hyped. Don't think i could handle any more. Can someone give me good reasons why this isn't a terrible anime?

Not trying to be confrontational but i just read a page or two on here and everyone loved it and the poll is positive too. Which makes me think everyone that already was going to like this, commented and voted positively and everyone else stayed away... far... far... away.

Now I'm a huuuge fan of RomCom, and they can get pretty generic with using the same plot devices and character archetypes. So i can tolerate other anime that sometimes is cliche (the Japanese are not fans of change, that is for sure) but this episode was just ripped from the Cliche Handbook. Even with the assumption that this anime is aware that it is cliche and is trying to use it for comedic value (not too sure on that) it sure didnt feel like a parody to me. examples...

1. I mean you have the bro-living turned tsundere sister who wakes her brother up with a kick. (who knows how many times i've seen that)
2. Constant underage panty shots not meant for comedy, just to arose the viewer and turn him into a closet pedo.
3. Giving to bust and body sizes of every female character. LOL its like this anime was created for the numerous hentai doujins that will pop up in the months to come.
4. And even though this changes near the end, why does the 14 girl act like shes 7 in front of her bro?
5. A main lead that is ignorant of the truth while everyone around him is in the loop.
6. The main has to date the spirits now? wtf? Only in Anime lol!
7. The masochistic right hand man of the commander who takes joy from being beaten by his superior. (Normally this is funny, but with too many cliches it just felt like another overused anime device)
8. The maybe gay/bi best friend so the yaoi crowd can be happy.

There were much more I could list but I want to keep my bitching to a minimum. Again my point is not to 'attack' people who like this.

My most bias disdain for this anime took the form of girls in the mini mecha flying armors. IMO I cannot stand any anime like strike witches or infinite stratos. All anime of this type just seems to be for the niche anime viewer that wants to collect the half nude figurines of the girls while waiting for the newest one with even less clothes to come out.

Visually this is mediocre animation at best, but i am willing to admit the battle scenes were decent. Character designs are very unoriginal too.

All in all this anime isn't meant to get new viewers but targeted solely at a particular group that people, most likely the visual novel crowd. I will try to watch one more episode to give it a decent chance to redeem itself, in the meantime if anyone would like to counter my claims here I always enjoy a goodhearted debate.
Apr 11, 2013 5:06 PM

Jun 2012
@ Dazedonthemoon

I am huge fan of the ecchi and harem genres. Let me tell you why I am excited about this show, perhaps more than any other show this season.

First off, calling a show like this cliche isn't exactly useful. People throw around that word like it's a synonym for bad or unenjoyable and it really isn't. The real question to ask would be is how does Date A Live stack up against other harems? The answer is that so far, it stacks up pretty well.

Art: This show has amazing art and lovely character designs. The harem genre became more popular in 2006, partly inspired by Haruhi, a show that changed anime forever, even though it wasn't a true harem. From 2006 to 2013, anime art has improved drastically. The way that Date A Live art and animation overshadows shows like Inukami and Kanokon is truly impressive and a sign that art and animation are getting better. Simply being made in 2013, puts this show and shows like it at a huge advantage, especially for harem-lovers, who generally care about art more than most anime fans.

Comedy: This show has some funny moments and I found myself laughing out loud during some parts. Comedy is not ubiquitous in the ecchi harem. Just look at shows like 11 eyes. The first episode of this show was definitely funnier than the average harem show.

And that's really all I can say right now. Gorgeous art, above-average comedy, voice actors that I like, a likeable MC, a cool fantasy concept. There are a lot of reasons why I am excited about this show.

I have no interest in trying to convince you that Date A Live is worth continuing to watch, and even if I did, doing so is probably beyond my faculty. My point is that Date A Live stacks up well against the competition, which would be other harem animes, and if it executes properly, it could be a very special show.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Apr 11, 2013 10:32 PM

Mar 2013
Thanks for responding Shigeru! I guess i wasn't viewing this show directly as a harem when i watched it, since most animes nowadays have harem aspects in it. I was viewing it more as an ecchi action comedy. And I am not against those types of shows if they are done smartly.

I totally agree with your cliche comment, its just the word that popped up most in my mind when watching this. Like every past anime device was blended together to create Date A Live. But when you say stacking up against other harems that seems to vague since every type of anime can and often does have harems. Most of the time I associate harems with romcoms but for some reason i can't put it in that category even though i see that dating the spirits will be a big part of the story.

The T-virus tickle joke did make me laugh, the comedy doesn't fall flat for me either. But it didn't sit well with me how seriously she believed him. I was like, "Oh jeeeeeeeeez." I know that you can't look at anime like real life but overall it just seemed too over the top. Perhaps that is why I didn't enjoy this episode. That and the drama seemed forced to me, which hurts any show for me.

The art is nice i also agree. It is 2013 and it shows, colors are vivid and action was smooth. Character designs are very bland to me and ecchi harems suffer from that problem too often. I realize there have been tons of anime and its super hard to have original character designs but all the girls seem so uninspired. The MC is also blandly designed but that doesnt bother most people including me. Not every MC can look like Haganai's or Bakemonogatari's.

Everyone has different taste and that what makes anime great. It can encompass anything and everything. Thanks for responding civilly, and giving good supporting arguments!
Apr 11, 2013 10:32 PM

Sep 2012
@ Dazedonthemoon

If you say you do not like IS then it is more likely you won't love Date A Live. Among all the comparisons with other anime, the one that bears closest resemblance to me for this anime is IS for its mix of harem and girls fighting. There are also a bit of Kami Nomi there for the element of dating a girl like playing a dating simulation game. And I can tell you that I am a fan of harem genre myself. I do not mind tons of cliches there as long as they are executed well, and we watch this kind of show more for art and character designs (like shigeru212 said above) as well as character interactions. We accept mediocre story that is played out in the genre convention with all the cliches and tropes instead. And we do not really care about drama or realism in this kind of genre - at the end a harem show works like a male fantasy and in a fantasy realism is usually not an element to be welcomed ;-) At the end if what you seek in the show are not what we seek then most likely you will only find mediocrity and terrible quality in it.
symbvApr 11, 2013 10:45 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 11, 2013 10:40 PM

Sep 2012
Dazedonthemoon said:
But when you say stacking up against other harems that seems to vague since every type of anime can and often does have harems. Most of the time I associate harems with romcoms but for some reason i can't put it in that category even though i see that dating the spirits will be a big part of the story.
I have one thing to comment here: It may be true that many shows contain harem, but a harem show places its main focus on the building and functioning of the harem. So there is harem in from Ranma1/2 to MaoYuu but the main focus of those shows is not really about the harem. At most it is just a side element that enriches the show. On the other hand, harem shows like IS and Date A Live is about THE HAREM first and foremost. Elements like fighting and adventure are the side elements instead. And this basically puts quite a few limitations to the story and characters so there are likely to have more cliches that jar viewers who do not care much about the harem.

Haganai and Bakemonogatari are the more subliminally executed harem works as both strive to place heavy focus on something other than the harem element at its center but never losing sight of the main focus of the harem theme. You don't always get this kind of harem shows. For me, if I see these kind of harem shows it would be just great but personally I do not need those extra central focus to entertain me in a harem show.

As for uninspiring character designs, I guess for a fan like me, I can tell apart different character designs and I clearly find more appeal for some designs, some animation style of the characters or some kind of voice-acting, so I would find myself more attracted to certain harem show than another. They may all look uninspiring, but the hormones inside me react differently to different character designs, and I guess this is what counts ;-)
symbvApr 11, 2013 10:50 PM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 11, 2013 11:24 PM

May 2012
What a turnoff after the spirit girl arrived, I thought this was going to be a serious show. Oh well will keep watching since it looks fun.
Apr 12, 2013 1:01 AM

Mar 2013
Haha your hormone comment made me laugh symbv. Yea i soon as i saw it was like IS, i knew it wasn't my thing. Just curious as to what fans get out of a series like this. I tend to look for story and character development over anything else, with art and voice acting a close second. I absolutely love when the voices sound like real people. Since I don't fully understand japanese enough to watch without subtitles, japan 'character' voices don't bother me as much as cartoony dubbed voices. Which is why i loved Aku no Hana's first episode so voice. VAing was top notch.

But thats way off topic! Thanks you guys.
Apr 12, 2013 1:14 AM

Sep 2012
Well, I have to admit that I also did not like the Japanese "character voices" at first, and their way of speaking is clearly not how actual people speak in real life (all those high tones and exaggerated intonation and questionable phrasing) but I have to say the more I hear it and the more I learn Japanese the more I grew fond of it. So now my opinion of a show can also be affected by the voicing acting, who does it and how it is done.

The complaints about poor story for certain genres are not new. And they are particularly common in genres that western fans are not familiar - slice of life and harem are just two examples. Usually this means they find the story not appealing and if they watch anime mainly for story (which to me is not quite the best way to appreciate an anime because it means too much of the sound and visual elements are being downplayed by the viewers) and if they are not attuned to the current art style and voice acting style of anime, then there is little they would find attractive. Hence the bashing. But for a fan of the genre, he may think that this is missing the point and asking for things that are not to be expected in the show while criticizing things that fans are pleased to have.

Apr 12, 2013 1:19 AM

Mar 2012
I like this and I still read the LN but the more I read LN something grow in me. While I like the character and setting the fact that it use dating sim is make me imposible to not compare it to my favorite harem show Kami Nomi. If I compare this certaintly it will be pale in comparison from the MC and heroine side. But that aside it still entertaining and one other thing bother me is that sine I have read LN I already know that this adaptation was to rushed.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 13, 2013 7:59 AM

Oct 2012
That pantsu! That ass! XD
Well, I don't expect split personality too
I nvr read LN/manga so yeah, I know nothing...

NeoAnkara said:
But that aside it still entertaining and one other thing bother me is that sine I have read LN I already know that this adaptation was to rushed.

Too early adaptation?
Or fast pace ep?

My thought said that this will be too fast pace, because it's only 12 ep
"Signature removed"
Apr 13, 2013 8:43 AM

Sep 2011
What the hell? Everything happened within an instant. Seems this is going to be similar to TWGOK based on the conversation before the ED. I guess I'm gonna look forward to this! :D

Apr 13, 2013 2:14 PM

Mar 2012
Ray_Light said:
NeoAnkara said:
But that aside it still entertaining and one other thing bother me is that sine I have read LN I already know that this adaptation was to rushed.

Too early adaptation?
Or fast pace ep?

My thought said that this will be too fast pace, because it's only 12 ep
To fast. They seem want to craming 4 volume to 12 episode.
Apr 13, 2013 2:23 PM

Sep 2012
Wow...okay. That was pretty good...a nice first episode, I guess the plot is already on. Is...is this a harem anime? I don't know...so the guy has to make the spirit fall in love with (or is that another anime...) anyway, this looks like something I'll watch...gonna see episode 2.
Apr 13, 2013 3:43 PM

Sep 2011
The main MC needs to start making his own choices because when he doesn't, he gets blasted.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Female (only) anime viewers Reviews on Tokisaki Kurumi.

Zark_42 - Apr 20

3 by IceCreamScene »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

284 by lordben69 »»
Apr 18, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2013

150 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 11, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2013

272 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 11, 4:00 PM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

321 by BreakfastBowl »»
Mar 22, 6:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.