Forum Settings
Forums

If your house is being robbed and you hurt the robber severely(cut them with a kitchen knife or something) will you get in trouble as well?

New
Mar 26, 2013 6:59 PM
Oct 2012
My house just got robbed, and frankly i don't feel too safe now. So i want to know, if the robbers come again at night or something and I defend myself but in the process hurt them, will I also get in trouble or do I not have to worry.

EDIT: This is a serious question that I want to know the answer to. I want to be able to sleep at night thinking at least I can protect myself if this happens again.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 26, 2013 7:01 PM

Sep 2012
I don't think you have to worry.

Self defense or something of the sort. I don't know trespassing laws off the top of my head though..

Sorry to hear you were robbed :( Did you contact the police?
Mar 26, 2013 7:02 PM

Mar 2012
At least you won't get punishment to great since it was act of self defense.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 26, 2013 7:05 PM

Sep 2012
It should come under self defence, so I wouldn't worry about it too much,
Sorry to hear that you got robbed
Mar 26, 2013 7:06 PM

Oct 2012
The above 2 responses are correct only if you acted reasonably in response to the threat. If someone breaks into your house unarmed and is about to escape with a couple hundred dollars, and then you break out your shotgun and shoot him in the back, and double tap one in the brain, then that's cold murder. (It might also depend on the state. Some states have strict trespass laws.)
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 26, 2013 7:07 PM

Sep 2012
Forgetfulness said:
What if you take a random stab and it happens to hit their heart and kill them?

Would you still get away lightly because it was self-defense?

Well the robber was armed with a weapon and had the intent to kill, then I guess it would come under self defence.
Mar 26, 2013 7:08 PM

Oct 2009
It depends on your law system, but in most cases if you killed the burglar by accident (or not) you can get jailed for that, even if it's on the basis of self defense. So, it is better to leave that to the cops.

I know, it sucks.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Mar 26, 2013 7:09 PM

Oct 2012
Forgetfulness said:
What if you take a random stab and it happens to hit their heart and kill them?

Would you still get away lightly because it was self-defense?
If you had reasonable belief that you were under potential harm on the scale of your actions, then you could get away with self-defense. If it was some unarmed kid in broad daylight and it looks to the investigators that you obviously wanted to mete out some vigilante justice, then probably no.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 26, 2013 7:14 PM
Oct 2011
It depends on where you live. For instance in NY defense of property is not a defense for murder, if you had the opportunity to escape but chose confrontation instead you could be prosecuted, of course this is open to wide interpretation since where one person sees and opportunity to run another sees fighting as their only option.

If you're in a place like Texas though, with the castle doctrine, it's open season on anyone entering your building uninvited.
Mar 26, 2013 7:20 PM

Jan 2013
Dude, are you seriously asking if it's ok to not let them kill you?

Worry about staying alive first, then get a lawyer. Just make absolutely sure that it's a trespasser, and not like your dad or something. Also you can't kill them if they are unarmed, but if they are bigger than you then you can pretty much do anything..
Mar 26, 2013 7:21 PM

Sep 2011
nekotenma said:

If you're in a place like Texas though, with the castle doctrine, it's open season on anyone entering your building uninvited.
Dude texas treats murder like hello, theres one time a guy went into a bank, pulled out a gun and told everyone to get on the floor....borderline every person in the bank then preceded to pull out a gun and shoot the robber 42 times . They all got self defense pardons

TEXAS!!!!

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 26, 2013 7:21 PM
Oct 2012
katsucats said:
The above 2 responses are correct only if you acted reasonably in response to the threat. If someone breaks into your house unarmed and is about to escape with a couple hundred dollars, and then you break out your shotgun and shoot him in the back, and double tap one in the brain, then that's cold murder. (It might also depend on the state. Some states have strict trespass laws.)

Well, when you say reasonably, what do you mean because(im not gonna kill anyone or anything) if he is seriously wounded when he only like scared me would i be in trouble
Mar 26, 2013 7:28 PM

Oct 2012
Kolle said:
katsucats said:
Well, when you say reasonably, what do you mean because(im not gonna kill anyone or anything) if he is seriously wounded when he only like scared me would i be in trouble
That's up to interpretation. Like another poster said, do whatever you need to feel safe, but don't think that that gives you an open license to go all SAW on the robber. (If you rig boobie traps and stuff that are designed to injure the assailant regardless of circumstances, you probably will get prosecuted.) It depends on the situation. If you feel your life is in danger, then by all means fight back. If you feel you could have got away, but choose to fight anyways, then we're straddling a thin line. Get a good lawyer.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 26, 2013 7:28 PM

May 2011
If you do it under self defense it's okay, but if you take it further you could get in serious trouble. For instance, if you disarm them and they give up and you decide "LEL GONNA STAB HIS ASS N-EWAYS" then yep, that's attempted murder.
Mar 26, 2013 7:34 PM

Aug 2008
I took a course on law and the justice system all the way back in high school. If I recall correctly, it's very hard to deal with a burglar. The law states that life is greater than property, so between defending your property and the burglar defending his health, the burglar wins. I definitely feel like the law is trying to defend burglary here, which is ridiculous.

The ONLY exception is if the burglar actually tries to hurt you. Then you can kill him. Because in that situation, it's no longer about defending your property, but yourself. But if the burglar grabs something of yours, there is literally nothing you can do to get that property back.

Also, I feel bad for the OP. I live alone, and every night when I go to bed, I always wonder if someone were to break into my house and kill me in my sleep, how long would it take before someone realizes that I've died.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Mar 26, 2013 7:36 PM

Jul 2007
Personally I'd just let them take my stuff and then inform the police once it's over. My valuables are not worth risking somebody's life over.
Mar 26, 2013 7:38 PM

Mar 2013
Depends where you're from? In England and probably most countries it'll count as self defense? So no you probably won't get into trouble.
Mar 26, 2013 7:42 PM

Jun 2011
If you injure him in self defense, no. If you attack him just because he's in your house, it depends on the laws where you live.
Mar 26, 2013 7:45 PM

Nov 2009
In America I doubt you would get in trouble however in order to pull off the whole "self defense" claim you have to prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that not only was the damage inflicted reasonable but also that you were truly in physical danger ... It isn't that it is hard in that type of situation (I actually believe there is another law about harming an "invader") however self defense isn't some magic cloak that makes you impervious to the law, if someone punches you and you punch them back you both with get taken in for fighting in public...

As for fighting back against a burglar, why? There is a damn good chance that they are carrying a weapon of some kind, and a pretty good chance they are also more physically fit (if you aren't, it's most likely they are), is it worth risking your life (you honestly have no idea what they are carrying) for a few thousand dollars worth of stolen stuff ... If anything just get one of those systems that alerts police should the house sense a break in (and remember to lock doors/windows)
Mar 26, 2013 7:48 PM

Sep 2012
I think is more inteligent to buy a taser gun or pepper spray.
If you are strong enought you can inmovilize the burglar and call the cops without take the robber life.
Mar 26, 2013 7:49 PM

Feb 2012
Like everyone else said if they attack you then you can defend yourself. Otherwise, I think the only thing you can legally do is make a citizens arrest and ask them kindly to wait there for the police to come.
Mar 26, 2013 7:58 PM

Sep 2011
They also most likely will not come back to the same house again.

Ask the police to increase patrols in your area and buy some lights and a good alarm system. Also dogs are a good deterent.
Mar 26, 2013 7:59 PM

Jul 2012
If you're in the states you'll be fine if you shoot them.
Mar 26, 2013 8:00 PM

Sep 2012
We need RandomChampion to come up in here.

I feel like he'd know the exact answer.
Mar 26, 2013 8:03 PM

Nov 2009
CodeEisAMAZING said:
If you're in the states you'll be fine if you shoot them.

This might actually be right, I'm not positive but trespassing in the United States is very illegal and one of the main arguments of people severely against gun control laws ... why would they use that as an argument if you couldn't use a gun against trespassers?
Mar 26, 2013 8:25 PM

Mar 2013
Kolle said:
My house just got robbed, and frankly i don't feel too safe now. So i want to know, if the robbers come again at night or something and I defend myself but in the process hurt them, will I also get in trouble or do I not have to worry.

EDIT: This is a serious question that I want to know the answer to. I want to be able to sleep at night thinking at least I can protect myself if this happens again.

easy anwser .... depends where your living , check your laws , i doubt asking it on MAL will help you , where i live if you hurt anyone either or not your in your house you can get in trouble , if you have a guard dog you need to have a sign in every door and ground level windows "beware of guard dog" or they can sue your ass and win , so the only way to really deal with stuff like that is to take the necessary precautions , that said and done once you follow the right steps , example - after calling the cops if someone is inside your house , you have to inform the intruder that you armed yourself and you will be using the amount of force needed to defend yourself , but that doesn't mean you can , shoot them , stab them , or anything that is beyond the strict basic to do so , meaning you can basically only disarm them or wound them enough to give the cops enough time to respond , but anything more then that could be considered excessive force could get you sued ... yes its pretty dumb around here but if needed be i would still prefer to get a use of excessive force charge then get raped or something , as for stealing , fuck it they can take whatever they want as long as they don't intend to hurt me , i'd gift wrap it for them even , that all being said , depending on where you live you have totally different laws on the matter , so check your local laws , i know in the U.S , some places you would be allowed to shoot the person for them breaking into your home , in some countrys , it would be from them walking on your property , while in others , your may not have the right to even defend yourself , laws aren't universal and can be stupid like that , but that depends on where your born or choose to live , hell in some parts of the world your not even allowed to think for yourself or they would shoot you ... that all being said , have fun getting all the info from your local law agency , around here when you ask shit like that you mostly get treated like your the criminal and they go on about all sort of crazy shit , your not eevn allowed to walk around with a pocket knife , its considered an arme blanche , which is basically a bladed weapon , no matter the length of the blade or the style of the knife , i even know people that got charge for walking around with a utility knife after being done work , as it was in their pockets ... anyways enough said , i usually writer too much and this is another one of these times
Mar 26, 2013 8:38 PM

Mar 2012
Study the definitions of self-defense and robbery, OP, because you don't know what either of them are.

guyklc said:
I live alone, and every night when I go to bed, I always wonder if someone were to break into my house and kill me in my sleep, how long would it take before someone realizes that I've died.
Get a grip, mate.
JoshMar 26, 2013 8:42 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 26, 2013 8:49 PM

Jun 2012
Condolescence to OP. :(

You're f**ked now regardless, either by the robber or the law.
Mar 26, 2013 10:24 PM
Oct 2012
OK, first of all I understand the answer to my question now. Second, some of you guys are getting the wrong idea. I am not going to massacre this guy who broke into my house, but all I wanted was to like have a kitchen knife close by while I sleep, just for a few days until I feel better and will be able to sleep fine at night. But again, I now have my answer so no more help needed. Thanks guys.
Mar 26, 2013 10:26 PM

Apr 2011
I think this could come into the "self-defense" area, so most countries will pardon you. However, you're not gonna get the self-defence pardon if you kill everyone that enters your house without permission. Like Pirating_Ninja said, there's a high chance he's armed or him being physically strong, so it's best to get yourself a gun or not try at all, unless you can take him by surprise.
Mar 26, 2013 10:29 PM

Mar 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
nekotenma said:

Dude texas treats murder like hello, theres one time a guy went into a bank, pulled out a gun and told everyone to get on the floor....borderline every person in the bank then preceded to pull out a gun and shoot the robber 42 times . They all got self defense pardons

TEXAS!!!!
I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, so I'll just say that Texas knows how to get shit done.

Anyone who isn't already familiar should read up on their execution policy.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Mar 26, 2013 10:35 PM

Oct 2012
Put a home made bomb next to your valuables and wait....
Mar 26, 2013 10:43 PM

Mar 2013
Here in Texas, you have the right to shoot and kill anyone trespassing on your property. Whether it's a robber or just some one wondering around for no reason in your back yard, you are within the law to shoot them.
Mar 26, 2013 10:49 PM

Jun 2012
I love how you are asking this in MAL.
But for my answer, no. It really depends on where you are in the vast world. But in most places, if they were to break into your house; they can be charged with trespassing and that such. If you do inflict damage onto the guy, you will not be charged with anything, and they will say it is as simple as self defense.
Mar 26, 2013 11:24 PM

Oct 2009
Kolle said:
OK, first of all I understand the answer to my question now. Second, some of you guys are getting the wrong idea. I am not going to massacre this guy who broke into my house, but all I wanted was to like have a kitchen knife close by while I sleep, just for a few days until I feel better and will be able to sleep fine at night. But again, I now have my answer so no more help needed. Thanks guys.

I suggest a crowbar as a better defensive measure.
azzuReMar 26, 2013 11:28 PM
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Mar 26, 2013 11:41 PM

Oct 2010
Well Its Self Defense. If I Were In That Position, i Dont Think I'd Regret Harming The Robber.
Mar 27, 2013 12:31 AM

Mar 2013
Hide the corpse.
Mar 27, 2013 12:32 AM

Jan 2013
Red_Keys said:
I don't think you have to worry.

Self defense or something of the sort. I don't know trespassing laws off the top of my head though..

Sorry to hear you were robbed :( Did you contact the police?

Not how it works.

It depends on how/where you cut them, and if they were armed.

If you cut their knees or something and they cant walk they can sue you.
Mar 27, 2013 4:43 AM
May 2009
Depends on the country.

Personally I would take my chances and Try to kill the burglar, just out of principal.
And take my chances in court.
Mar 27, 2013 5:20 AM

Apr 2008
Here in Britain you have the right to defend yourself with reasonable force, what constitutes reasonable force depends on what the robber was doing, in general though unless you outright murder the guy you'll be safe because public policy wouldn't want to punish people defending their homes.

The Criminal Law is intended to punish criminals, not victims - so don't sweat it.

Source - Law Student
Mar 27, 2013 5:26 AM

Dec 2012
Go yandere mode, it counts as self defence as well.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Mar 27, 2013 5:58 AM

Dec 2011
If they initiate the attack, it would self-defense. In this instance, mostly any way you harm them is justifiable, especially if they attack you with a weapon, or even just have one hidden.
If you initiate the attack, it would be considered protecting your property. In which case, an excessive use of force could dictate assault (if not attempted murder).
You should really check up on the laws for property defense in your state; wouldn't be the first time someone got screwed for doing the right thing. Also, I'm sure the jury would support you in at least 90% of instances, in the odd event you find yourself in court.
Mar 27, 2013 6:10 AM

Apr 2011
Solvite said:
Not how it works.

It depends on how/where you cut them, and if they were armed.

If you cut their knees or something and they cant walk they can sue you.

That seriously sounds really dumb. A robber suing the person he was trying to rob for trying to stop the robber from robbing him. I don't think any court or law in which that robber successfully wins the case should be trusted in.
Mar 27, 2013 6:25 AM

Sep 2012
depends on who has the better lawyer.
Mar 27, 2013 6:31 AM

Aug 2012
My instinctive response to a stranger breaking into my house would be to kill him O_O
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Mar 27, 2013 7:15 AM

Feb 2005
Uh come on OP. Go check your laws, how the fuck are we supposed to know, we don't even know where you live.
Mar 27, 2013 8:14 AM

Dec 2011
m_c093 said:
depends on who has the better lawyer.

This.
Mar 27, 2013 8:33 AM

Mar 2012
Just don't do anything, you're far more likely for something extremely violent to happen if you try to confront someone with a weapon.

This is why stuff like guns (for "home protection"), don't actually increase your safety, it actually does the opposite, if someone was to burglar my home, I'd just stand back and let them take whatever they wanted, since my own safety (and my families) is far more important than some stuff.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Mar 27, 2013 8:40 AM

Jan 2013
Always keep plastic wrap under the rugs. So if you kill someone you can wrap them up. Throw them where no one will ever find them. Remember the only crimes that show up on statistics are the ones reported.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

33 by deg »»
20 minutes ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

44 by Smugdear »»
41 minutes ago

» Planning a Spain Trip

redlockhigh - Apr 8

19 by redlockhigh »»
1 hour ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

40 by Smugdear »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

670 by SynthwaveCrusade »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.