Forum Settings
Forums

FUNimation to Announce 10 New Licenses in 10 Days

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

Dec 21, 2008 10:31 PM

Mario1-7 said:

Seto no Hanayome

Yakuza + dubs?

-shudder-

Dec 21, 2008 10:50 PM

Plate said:
Mario1-7 said:

Seto no Hanayome

Yakuza + dubs?

-shudder-

What????????? Speak since Man <(Simon Belmont Castlevania Judgment)
Go Watch Sumomo momo Its epic. It has not gotten much attention... Episode 1
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v83597095dreGdW#comments

Dec 21, 2008 11:44 PM

Let the games begin.

Anyone got an idea as to exactly what time their going to announce them? My guess would be around midnight, since it's a "countdown to New Years" thing, but who knows.

Dec 22, 2008 12:36 AM

Factor said:
Let the games begin.

Anyone got an idea as to exactly what time their going to announce them? My guess would be around midnight, since it's a "countdown to New Years" thing, but who knows.

I thought that to. I am use to staying up looking for updates. from Super Smash Bros Brawl the daily up date. ^_^ but they probly will wait too random times of the day.

Dec 22, 2008 12:52 AM

Most of the people posting in this really are pathetic. How can people whine about the series they rate highly coming out on DVD? Americans' have no right when they get anime FAR cheaper than in Japan and much cheaper than in England. It isn't even as if subbers will stop subbing completely - there will always be one group, even if the group has to use a new name.

In England, for example, we have Beez (Bandai's bitches) only ever selling DVDs for £14 each, and we don't get Anime Legends box sets. We have ADV selling Anime Legends style brick box sets for £25-40 (no thinpack box sets). We can't get 26 episode MVM box sets for less than £40ish new. And, of course, we get far less anime than yanks do, and the anime that does come out over here sometimes comes out years after it was released in the US. The only way to get decent deals in the UK is to bargain hunt on eBay or import (past tense now).

Americans' really don't know how lucky they are. I mean, you only have to look on the DVDtalk forum to see how cheap yanks can get anime for - I'd have a gigantic collection if I could get anime for the prices you lot can. But, as it stands, I'm forced to be ripped off for goods that come out years late or, now that the pound is so weak, get hit by customs charges when importing from America.

In short, the idiots moaning about getting a new anime in a country where they get anime cheaper than anywhere else need to grow up. Nothing in life is free and I really wish the people who refuse to buy anime, instead only downloading because they view it as their God given right, get took to court/forced to pay a large out of court settlement.

"Paul" said:
http://www.funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=news&id=507

Hello and Happy Holidays!
We are feeling quite festive here at FUNimation Entertainment headquarters and to celebrate the rockin' 2008 we've had and in anticipation of the awesome-ness that will be 2009, FUNimation will be counting down to the new year!

Join us online starting on Monday, December 22 as we begin New Show A-Go-Go: A Ten Day Countdown of New Anime for the New Year. We will be making one acquisition announcement each day for the ten days leading up to New Year's Eve. http://www.funimation.com/newshowagogo

From all of the hints collected so far, people have guessed that they may announce the following:

• Vandread
  • Soul Eater
  • Ikkitousen
  • Last Exile
  • Evangelion
  • Gankutsuou: the Count of Monte Cristo
  • Oh! Edo Rocket
  • Moyashimon

Some interesting anime on that list. Overjoyed to see that Gankutsuou could make a return, Soul Eater (one of the best shonen fighting anime ever) was inevitable but good news none the less, and things like Oh! Edo Rocket and Moyashimon are a little off-beat but highly regarded.
"Aion" said:
Great news about Gankutsuou. It's a good thing that people who haven't watched it will now be able to find the series on DVD far easier, and most likely far cheaper than Geneon sold the series for. The only bad thing about this is how the OOP Geneon set will lose its value, which is a bit annoying for people who spent £50-70+ to get the Geneon collection, such as myself.

As for the people whining about the lack of new anime licensed: shaddup if you ain't watched Gankutsuou. You should be kissing Funimations arse for making one of the best (if not THE) series ever available to buy new again.

As for the rest of the relicensed stuff, they aren't so interesting. I can't really see why Vandread was relicensed when it's hardly 10/10 material and it's 8 years old. There are far better series out there, and a lot more series that would stand a better chance of selling. And my thoughts are pretty much the same about Last Exile - an older show with some popularity that fails in the story and character departments.

I'm not very inerested in the 2 new licenses. I dropped Soul Eater, which I thought was no more than a generic and over the top shounen series in HD, after 4 episodes, and the first of the new Eva movies is near identical to the TV series until near the end. I'm not going to rush out to buy either.
Modified by AironicallyHuman, Dec 22, 2008 1:00 AM

Dec 22, 2008 1:40 AM

Aionic said:
Most of the people posting in this really are pathetic. How can people whine about the series they rate highly coming out on DVD? Americans' have no right when they get anime FAR cheaper than in Japan and much cheaper than in England. It isn't even as if subbers will stop subbing completely - there will always be one group, even if the group has to use a new name.

In England, for example, we have Beez (Bandai's bitches) only ever selling DVDs for £14 each, and we don't get Anime Legends box sets. We have ADV selling Anime Legends style brick box sets for £25-40 (no thinpack box sets). We can't get 26 episode MVM box sets for less than £40ish new. And, of course, we get far less anime than yanks do, and the anime that does come out over here sometimes comes out years after it was released in the US. The only way to get decent deals in the UK is to bargain hunt on eBay or import (past tense now).

Americans' really don't know how lucky they are. I mean, you only have to look on the DVDtalk forum to see how cheap yanks can get anime for - I'd have a gigantic collection if I could get anime for the prices you lot can. But, as it stands, I'm forced to be ripped off for goods that come out years late or, now that the pound is so weak, get hit by customs charges when importing from America.

In short, the idiots moaning about getting a new anime in a country where they get anime cheaper than anywhere else need to grow up. Nothing in life is free and I really wish the people who refuse to buy anime, instead only downloading because they view it as their God given right, get took to court/forced to pay a large out of court settlement.

"Paul" said:
http://www.funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=news&id=507

Hello and Happy Holidays!
We are feeling quite festive here at FUNimation Entertainment headquarters and to celebrate the rockin' 2008 we've had and in anticipation of the awesome-ness that will be 2009, FUNimation will be counting down to the new year!

Join us online starting on Monday, December 22 as we begin New Show A-Go-Go: A Ten Day Countdown of New Anime for the New Year. We will be making one acquisition announcement each day for the ten days leading up to New Year's Eve. http://www.funimation.com/newshowagogo

From all of the hints collected so far, people have guessed that they may announce the following:

• Vandread
  • Soul Eater
  • Ikkitousen
  • Last Exile
  • Evangelion
  • Gankutsuou: the Count of Monte Cristo
  • Oh! Edo Rocket
  • Moyashimon

Some interesting anime on that list. Overjoyed to see that Gankutsuou could make a return, Soul Eater (one of the best shonen fighting anime ever) was inevitable but good news none the less, and things like Oh! Edo Rocket and Moyashimon are a little off-beat but highly regarded.
"Aion" said:
Great news about Gankutsuou. It's a good thing that people who haven't watched it will now be able to find the series on DVD far easier, and most likely far cheaper than Geneon sold the series for. The only bad thing about this is how the OOP Geneon set will lose its value, which is a bit annoying for people who spent £50-70+ to get the Geneon collection, such as myself.

As for the people whining about the lack of new anime licensed: shaddup if you ain't watched Gankutsuou. You should be kissing Funimations arse for making one of the best (if not THE) series ever available to buy new again.

As for the rest of the relicensed stuff, they aren't so interesting. I can't really see why Vandread was relicensed when it's hardly 10/10 material and it's 8 years old. There are far better series out there, and a lot more series that would stand a better chance of selling. And my thoughts are pretty much the same about Last Exile - an older show with some popularity that fails in the story and character departments.

I'm not very inerested in the 2 new licenses. I dropped Soul Eater, which I thought was no more than a generic and over the top shounen series in HD, after 4 episodes, and the first of the new Eva movies is near identical to the TV series until near the end. I'm not going to rush out to buy either.

............. Move to America ..............
And Vandread has been dubbed already stop guessing that cause it wrong >_>

Dec 22, 2008 1:43 AM

Mario1-7 said:

............. Move to America ..............
And Vandread has been dubbed already stop guessing that cause it wrong >_>

No shit. Guess who went under. Geneon. Guess who dubbed it. Geneon. Guess who has been buying up Geneon's stuff.

Funimation.

Dec 22, 2008 8:34 AM

Speaking of which, the first new license title announced is Ikkitousen.
You've come a long way, baby.

Dec 22, 2008 8:49 AM

Kimura said:
Speaking of which, the first new license title announced is Ikkitousen.

I, for one, cannot find it in myself to be enthused about this. Didn't want to see this the first time it was licensed, and still don't. Isn't it still kinda easy to watch this, anyway? Half of it's even on Hulu!

oh, these little earthquakes

Dec 22, 2008 8:52 AM

Well, hopefully this is just a teaser....I'm sure they'll wait until the last couple of days to announce the good stuff :)

Dec 22, 2008 8:54 AM

Ikki Tousen. BD wasn't that anime was on Hulu?

Dec 22, 2008 9:09 AM
Vermillion

Ikkitousen is the first license? I'll definitely pass.

The list Aionic posted looks intersting but there's nothing there that strikes me as a must buy. I already own Vandread and Last Exile so those are out. Maybe Gankutsuou but that would be something I'd get only if I had extra cash lying around. If the list turns out to be 100% accurate there's still 2 remaining unknown licenses so I still have a some hope.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.

Dec 22, 2008 9:49 AM

Day 1: SAFE~!

Dec 22, 2008 9:51 AM

Momo-Hime said:

Dec 22, 2008 10:38 AM

Kimura said:
the first new license title announced is Ikkitousen.
Ikkitousen DD would have been better

does it mean that it will be re-dubbed?

Dec 22, 2008 10:47 AM

I know this is a long time coming, but I have a response to how America affects the anime industry. In 2000, The Big O was a major flop in Japan. After 13 episodes of a planned 26-episode run, the show was canceled despite a super cliffhanger ending. A year or two later, Bandai licenses it for America and airs it on Toonami. Another few years, and it's moved to Adult Swim. Somewhere in there, something happened. The Big O got a major fanbase in America. Sunrise, The Big O's animation studio, saw the potential for a conclusion and finally made The Big O II, four years after The Big O was taken off the air. Why? Because of American fans who watched it on TV.

Yes, America can affect the anime industry because it has. IGPX was made for Americans. Oban: Star-Racers debuted in America before Japan. Yu-Gi-Oh: The Movie was made because of American popularity. Not all of those titles are good, but what matters is that America made them happen.

And don't forget about anime based off of American properties like Witchblade, Batman: Gotham Knight and The Animatrix.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 22, 2008 10:48 AM

Kvakond said:
Ikkitousen DD would have been better

does it mean that it will be re-dubbed?

Dragon Destiny is already licensed by Media Blasters.

Dec 22, 2008 11:23 AM

well its official, 12/22 is ikkitousen
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures

Dec 22, 2008 11:42 AM

It's a simple fact that we need foreign crusaders in Japan to bring us quality, quickly, at a price. If someone would finally stop talking about and venture into the business, they would be met with open arms.

Imagine the advertising available for a site that streams animation aired within the same day. Imagine the raw profit generated by higher quality episodes ready for download, supported by a dedicated server for distribution. Imagine the quality subs that could be produced by a solid business with a set style and set standards. The success of that company would have to come from the Japanese industry though, supported by them making available the episodes for international distribution via the internet. It could even be region controlled to exclude Japan from the page much like the BBC, not effecting their "home ground" business.

Subs would come faster and people would be paid for what they love, being able to provide it to fans for free via the streaming episodes, but allowing the company to generate revenue from advertisements and those higher quality episodes made available through download.

What would come after? DvDs and box sets with dubs/subs. There is still a niche to be filled by those animation viewers that prefer not to read (or whatever their reason may be) and would prefer to purchase shows in a solid format.

tl:dr Who wants to learn Japanese and do business rather than bitch about a lame, outdated company like Funi who doesn't know what to do with themselves?

Dec 22, 2008 3:19 PM

Defiance said:
Momo-Hime said:

Dec 22, 2008 3:22 PM

Momo-Hime said:

Dec 22, 2008 4:52 PM

They probably got all 3 seasons..... of Ikkitousen.?
Soul eater is tomorrow Fact! (Soul eater sucks >_>) when it gets announced ill be pissed.

Dec 22, 2008 5:08 PM

Mario1-7 said:
They probably got all 3 seasons..... of Ikkitousen.?

Nope, just the first one from 2003. The first sequel, Dragon Destiny, is already licensed by Media Blasters.

Dec 22, 2008 5:30 PM

Come on Funi. I want to see Soul Eater, Gintama and Reborn get a dub.>.<

Dec 22, 2008 5:32 PM
Where's mah Slayers Revolution?!

Dec 22, 2008 6:00 PM

Gunbladewarrior said:

i want all of them on AS or IFC.

Dec 22, 2008 6:31 PM

Maora said:
Gunbladewarrior said:

Well AS for me since I don't get IFC anymore.-_- I still want AS to pick up Claymore, D.Gray-man, and others too. :|

Dec 22, 2008 6:57 PM

Maora said:
Gunbladewarrior said:

...why would you want Gintama on AS?

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? I'D CRY

Dec 22, 2008 10:33 PM

Plate said:
Maora said:
Gunbladewarrior said:

this is where people beg funi to keep it in subs.

Dec 22, 2008 10:48 PM

Maora said:
Plate said:
Maora said:
Gunbladewarrior said:

The DVDs will have subs *wink*.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection
Discord ID: Ryan (RyRy)#1987 | Telegram ID: KidBoruto

Dec 22, 2008 10:50 PM

Baby_Naruto said:
Maora said:
Plate said:
Maora said:
Gunbladewarrior said:

you know what, somethings on tv should have subs. :P

EDIT: other than that. Isn't Funi is fighting with Viz for the Shounen Jump titles? If that's that, i do really see Gintama in the future.
Modified by Maora, Dec 22, 2008 10:53 PM

Dec 22, 2008 10:55 PM

Maora said:
Baby_Naruto said:
Maora said:
Plate said:
Maora said:
Gunbladewarrior said:

EDIT: other than that. Isn't Funi is fighting with Viz for the Shounen Jump titles? If that's that, i do really see Gintama in the future.

is late to the party
I'm with Plate on this T__T

Gintama is something that I can imagine with a horrible dub and I am sure even the sub by FUNi wouldn't even do too good of a job with the sub. How would they explain all the japanese puns? Okay I'm stopping there >_>

Dec 22, 2008 11:22 PM

Momo-Hime said:
Maora said:
Baby_Naruto said:
Maora said:
Plate said:
Maora said:
Gunbladewarrior said:

is late to the party
I'm with Plate on this T__T

Gintama is something that I can imagine with a horrible dub and I am sure even the sub by FUNi wouldn't even do too good of a job with the sub. How would they explain all the japanese puns? Okay I'm stopping there >_>

This is why if ever goes to america, the manga might have notes at the back of the book. >.>

Dec 22, 2008 11:28 PM

Maora said:

This is why if ever goes to america, the manga might have notes at the back of the book. >.>

Nah, the manga IS in America, and they just localized the hell out of it instead.

For example, "Odd Jobs Gin" not Yorozuya Gin-chan. Gintoki is always referred to as ODD JOBS GIN

ODD JOBS

Dec 22, 2008 11:29 PM

Plate said:
Maora said:

Nah, the manga IS in America, and they just localized the hell out of it instead.

For example, "Odd Jobs Gin" not Yorozuya Gin-chan. Gintoki is always referred to as ODD JOBS GIN

ODD JOBS
i laughed/cried when i saw that
AUGH
ODD JOBS

Dec 22, 2008 11:34 PM

windy said:
Plate said:
Maora said:

ODD JOBS
AUGH
ODD JOBS

Heh and don't forget about Katsura's new nickname; Casserole >_>

Dec 22, 2008 11:34 PM

windy said:
Plate said:
Maora said:

ODD JOBS
AUGH
ODD JOBS

They also call the Shinsengumi something stupid that I blocked out of my memory.

But

ODD JOBS GIN

Dec 22, 2008 11:41 PM

I read the U.S. Gin Tama Manga volume books and LOVE THEM :D. I wonder if volume 9 is out yet, hmm *scratches forechin*.

Dec 23, 2008 2:06 AM

Soul Eater is next i can feel it >_>..

Damn i hate it so much >_>

Dec 23, 2008 2:46 AM

Maora said:
Baby_Naruto said:
Maora said:
Plate said:
Maora said:
Gunbladewarrior said:

Why wait for the future? Do eet nows Funi. :|

I'm wanting Soul Eater more and more now.-_-

Dec 23, 2008 2:57 AM

I want FUNi to english dub Soul Eater as much as you do, then I will finally be able to watch this series.

Dec 23, 2008 3:21 AM

Baby_Naruto said:
I want FUNi to english dub Soul Eater as much as you do, then I will finally be able to watch this series.

We're in the minority here though. lol

Dec 23, 2008 3:25 AM

I'd say people who can't read are certainly in the minority here, yes.

Dec 23, 2008 3:34 AM

Eh? What does reading have to do with anything? :|

Dec 23, 2008 4:27 AM

Plate said:

Liking or preferring dubs =/= Not being able to read.

Unless you're five years old. :/

oh, these little earthquakes

Dec 23, 2008 7:56 AM

Plate said:
windy said:
Plate said:
Maora said:

ODD JOBS
AUGH
ODD JOBS

They also call the Shinsengumi something stupid that I blocked out of my memory.

But

ODD JOBS GIN

what the fuck are you reading?

and 'Odd Jobs Gin' is used in the subs to iirc

Dec 23, 2008 8:35 AM

Anomalous said:
Plate said:

Eh. Do hafta remember that some people are slower readers, have dyslexia etc. and I can imagine the frustration of having to rewind over and over due to that.

But I imagine for most people who prefer dubs, then yes, it is just lazyness. ;;>_>

Dec 23, 2008 8:46 AM

Ellechan said:
Anomalous said:
Plate said:

Eh. Do hafta remember that some people are slower readers, have dyslexia etc. and I can imagine the frustration of having to rewind over and over due to that.

But I imagine for most people who prefer dubs, then yes, it is just lazyness. ;;>_>

Or it could just be that they actually like the dubs better.-_-

Dec 23, 2008 9:00 AM

WTF is Gad Guard..???? FUNimation is pissing me off >_>

Dec 23, 2008 9:15 AM

Info

Slightly more than 1k members.

In other words : SAFE

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »