Forum Settings
Forums

Do you for the most part agree with the rankings on MAL?

Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Mar 28, 2013 5:47 PM

Lang said:
SaekoBusu said:
Propu said:
Counter-counter-argument: if a minority told you to jump off a bridge saying you won't die, would you do it? With the majority trying to keep you from doing it?

Well it depends on the height of the bridge of course, I don't consider my self as part of the minority or the majority I consider myself an individual so I'd look through all the variables and come to a conclusion myself as to whether or not I would jump off said bridge based on the risk vs reward factor.

*pushes you off the bridge*

I feel as though if the minority would attempt to push me off, the majority would do just as much to make sure that I didn't fall off. Both sides would be looking to win you over regardless of where you stand because hey, they're both right and if you don't agree with either of them at the end of the day you must be the one who's wrong.

Mar 28, 2013 5:49 PM

That's the "neutrality" zone, the one which prepares pop-corns for this kind of topics :D
I'm a self-taught composer, and here you can find the tracks I've composed so far:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kiusdexra

https://soundcloud.com/marko-poskurica

A single click on each one of them would make me really happy!

If you want to make any comment or critic, do it on my profile or as a comment on youtube / soundcloud!

Mar 28, 2013 5:50 PM

Propu said:
SaekoBusu said:
Propu said:
Counter-counter-argument: if a minority told you to jump off a bridge saying you won't die, would you do it? With the majority trying to keep you from doing it?

Well it depends on the height of the bridge of course, I don't consider my self as part of the minority or the majority I consider myself an individual so I'd look through all the variables and come to a conclusion myself as to whether or not I would jump off said bridge based on the risk vs reward factor.

That's it, you just answered the topic lol

Why does the minority think that they are the only ones who think with their own mind?

So to answer the first counter-argument: no, I wouldn't jump because it's stupid.
I have my own ideas about the anime I watch, I simply happen to agree with what the majority thinks.

Deal with it.

Yet you're representing what the majority as a whole thinks, making you a part of the majority in this particular argument, you could state as to why you agree with the titles. For instance "I've seen this and it should be here for this reason" as opposed to "this is the majority consensus deal with it" I never once stated that the majority is wrong or that the minority is right I stated my personal opinion.

If you'd like I can go in-depth as to why I believe certain titles should/shouldn't be in the top 10/20/50/100 as in relations to what I've seen. I really wouldn't mind.

Edit: If anything I wouldn't be preparing the popcorn, I'd be the one enjoying the popcorn made by the majority/minority. Whom of which are still battling to win me over.

Mar 28, 2013 5:51 PM

Did I post in here before?

Yes, I agree.

Except for a few cases, like Yosuga no Sora.

...Okay I disagree with quite a few, but that's just cause they're my favorites...

Mar 28, 2013 6:08 PM

SaekoBusu said:
Propu said:
SaekoBusu said:
Propu said:

Why does the minority think that they are the only ones who think with their own mind?

So to answer the first counter-argument: no, I wouldn't jump because it's stupid.
I have my own ideas about the anime I watch, I simply happen to agree with what the majority thinks.

Deal with it.

Yet you're representing what the majority as a whole thinks, making you a part of the majority in this particular argument, you could state as to why you agree with the titles. For instance "I've seen this and it should be here for this reason" as opposed to "this is the majority consensus deal with it" I never once stated that the majority is wrong or that the minority is right I stated my personal opinion.

If you'd like I can go in-depth as to why I believe certain titles should/shouldn't be in the top 10/20/50/100 as in relations to what I've seen. I really wouldn't mind.

Edit: If anything I wouldn't be preparing the popcorn, I'd be the one enjoying the popcorn made by the majority/minority. Whom of which are still battling to win me over.

In this topic I've seen too many people saying that *random Top 10 show* is too much overrated / too much shitty / blabla, and I am personally wondering HOW MUCH of such dislike is caused by the show being so highly ranked, and how much of it is genuine dislike towards that show. And I'm not denying that there are people who tend to "overlove" a show only because it's highly ranked...

So I'm not questioning anyone's opinions about anime, I'm questioning their coherence (not yours in particular, I'm generally speaking). In the end the biggest division we need to mark is the one which separates the idiots from the normal people ;)

And btw: I actually think that in those cases, racism is what moves the people. The majority of minority wouldn't try to bring you at their side, but they would only notice that you're not one of them, so they don't care about you.
That's why it's you who makes the pop-corn :D
I'm a self-taught composer, and here you can find the tracks I've composed so far:

If you want to make any comment or critic, do it on my profile or as a comment on youtube / soundcloud!

Mar 28, 2013 6:18 PM

Propu said:
SaekoBusu said:
Propu said:
SaekoBusu said:
Propu said:

Deal with it.

In this topic I've seen too many people saying that *random Top 10 show* is too much overrated / too much shitty / blabla, and I am personally wondering HOW MUCH of such dislike is caused by the show being so highly ranked, and how much of it is genuine dislike towards that show. And I'm not denying that there are people who tend to "overlove" a show only because it's highly ranked...

So I'm not questioning anyone's opinions about anime, I'm questioning their coherence (not yours in particular, I'm generally speaking). In the end the biggest division we need to mark is the one which separates the idiots from the normal people ;)

And btw: I actually think that in those cases, racism is what moves the people. The majority of minority wouldn't try to bring you at their side, but they would only notice that you're not one of them, so they don't care about you.
That's why it's you who makes the pop-corn :D

In that case I'll state that it's not because they're so highly rated that I dislike them It's because I dislike them that I believe they shouldn't be so highly rated.

I tend to try to be as unbiased as possible when it comes to an anime and although at times It's difficult to do because some anime's have the 'walk' and the 'talk' but I feel as though I do a decently good job. This is why I have my disagreements when it comes to the rankings that some people have given certain titles.

I also note that as I look at anime as a work of art as opposed to a form of enjoyment (don't get me wrong I do enjoy anime, that's just not how I rank them veto few titles) That's where most of my disagreements come from, as certain titles have their rank because people who haven't watch as many titles as me, or many titles in any case rate "highly recommended" anime because of the title alone and not the work behind it. This drags them into the majority and with little knowledge will blow the ranking up for this reason.

Fine, I'll make the pop corn but I won't be sharing it; I'll eat it in the solitude that society has created for me.

Mar 28, 2013 6:53 PM

Yeah so we're saying the same thing, that disliking a show because it's highly rated is for retards.

Well, you kinda changed the argument into "Enjoyment vs Effective Quality", and some times I've been on the Enjoyment side, other times on the Effective Quality one and now I can say I consider Enjoyment part of Art's Quality. To be honest, I say this since I've always dealt with it in Music, an Art Discipline of which I know much more than Anime, but I feel that the basis are the same. IF, and only IF, people are able to distinguish Enjoyment from the other aspects of a given show.

And most of the people actually like to be isolated.

Mar 28, 2013 6:55 PM

i don't really care about the ratings...

Mar 28, 2013 7:07 PM

Propu said:

Yeah so we're saying the same thing, that disliking a show because it's highly rated is for retards.

Well, you kinda changed the argument into "Enjoyment vs Effective Quality", and some times I've been on the Enjoyment side, other times on the Effective Quality one and now I can say I consider Enjoyment part of Art's Quality. To be honest, I say this since I've always dealt with it in Music, an Art Discipline of which I know much more than Anime, but I feel that the basis are the same. IF, and only IF, people are able to distinguish Enjoyment from the other aspects of a given show.

And most of the people actually like to be isolated.

Yeah there are some titles where I can't help but be overtaken by the enjoyment side and of course people prefer to be isolated.. we're on MAL :3

Mar 28, 2013 7:51 PM

I don't mind too much about the ratings

but yeah.. sometimes I have to agree that some of the good animes that I watch should be around Top 100-300 on MAL

Mar 28, 2013 8:07 PM

Shirube said:
Lang said:
Shirube said:
Lang said:
this one makes me worry. Ranked too high
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1604/Katekyo_Hitman_Reborn!

A lot of people may have dropped it during the first arc (which really did nothing but introduce the main characters), so that probably has something to do with it.

I'm sure Fairy Tail's score will shoot up when it finishes airing too.

PLEASE NO!

Magic + Nakama power-ups + boobs = top 100 material
Propu said:

Deal with it.
Im pretty sure it's gonna drop instead of go up. Like SAO. Mark my words.

Mar 28, 2013 8:12 PM

I take MAL ratings with a grain of salt. If I watch something in the top 100 I'll more than likely enjoy at least one aspect of the anime, but not saying that I would necessarily rate it as high as its rating. But anime that receive less than, say 7.3, usually I won't enjoy as much, not to say there aren't any exceptions.

Mar 30, 2013 9:34 AM

not really
OTP: Kid x Law | Katsuki x Izuku | Erwin x Levi | Hide x Kaneki | Sanada x Yukimura | Guren x Shinya | See more!

» My doujinshi collection
» Favorite Boku no Hero Academia doujinshi

Mar 30, 2013 8:00 PM

I don't care about the ratings, I draw my own conclusions. I search based on genre and sometimes the studio

Mar 30, 2013 9:32 PM

Yes, I do. Except Madoka and Fate/Zero should be top 10. And Clannad isn't that good. And FMA:B should be #1. And Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo is better than Ookami Kodomo. And Hikaru no Go should be at least 8.5. But I said I agreed with the scores so I should shut up now.

Mar 30, 2013 9:36 PM

As long as I have my own list that I can modify to my desire, that is all that matters.
The Top Anime page can do whatever the heck it wants.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.

Mar 30, 2013 9:42 PM

The only real problem in the ratings is the fact Queen's Blade isn't in the top 4,750
the progeny of a dropped colony

Apr 26, 2013 5:07 PM

I really don't care actually. Although it's kinda fun trying to guess which anime will become the new #1

Apr 26, 2013 5:10 PM

Nope guys, because of people like him made me lose faith in MAL ratings. '

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Arararraragi-kun

Troll acounts :( destroys ratings. Oh look, he rated Free a 1 before its aired.

Fcking arabs.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told

Apr 26, 2013 5:17 PM
The ratings on this site don't mean anything because they use incorrect algorithms to judge the overall score.

Apr 26, 2013 5:20 PM

Tommk said:
Nope guys, because of people like him made me lose faith in MAL ratings. '

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Arararraragi-kun

Troll acounts :( destroys ratings. Oh look, he rated Free a 1 before its aired.

Fcking arabs.

Okay putting everything aside what do ''arabs'' have to do with anything ? you are just being racist right now stalker-san.

Apr 26, 2013 5:22 PM

For anime.... not really theres some good stuff there, but some I would just consider decent. Berserk for example deserves to be much higher IMO, but thats just me.

yeah... discriminating against a whole region of people based on the actions of one guy doesn't exactly shed you in a great light >_>

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Apr 26, 2013 6:03 PM
Let's see ...

Some of the top anime as of posting

-Gintama: Never watched, but doesn't seem like something I'd rate very high
-FMAB: I gave the manga a 10, so I think I'd probably like it.
-Steins;Gate: My favourite anime ever.
-Clannad AS: I liked it, but it's still way overrated.
-Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu: Best of the anime adaptions, but still I only gave a 8.
-Code Geass: First season was better.

In conclusion ...I don't really care XD

Obviously, my tastes aren't supposed to match up perfectly with the community averages. Rankings can be fun to look at, but they really shouldn't matter.
I like pie.

Apr 26, 2013 6:17 PM
no

Apr 26, 2013 6:44 PM

Not all of them, like Gintama.

Apr 26, 2013 6:46 PM

Let's not forget, these are the overall ratings users submit on MAL so of course it won't match up with your personal thought. It's the same with websites like ign or rotten tomatoes, the scores are there to give a general idea on how good or bad a product is.

Apr 28, 2013 10:23 PM

BlackSabotage said:
I don't myself I mean Ashita no Joe isn't even in the top 200 that's just blasphemy. Also Code Geass is pretty high up but I saw one episode and hated it so much I don't even know if I can pull myself to watch episode 2. Steins; Gate was good but don't know about top 5 good.

I don't like code geass, but judging it after one episode is stupid. That said, fuck the MAL rankings.
UwU

Apr 28, 2013 10:46 PM

Bleh, I don't pay much mind to the MAL rankings since they are subjective and everyone has their own particular tastes.

Apr 28, 2013 10:59 PM

Not this shit again...

Apr 28, 2013 11:08 PM

The way I take it, almost everything above 500 is very good, (or at least enjoyable even if it isn't all that great), between 501-1000 is mostly good, between 1001-2000 is okay and virtually everything below that is shit. There's exceptions, of course.

Apr 28, 2013 11:08 PM

MellowJello said:
Not this shit again...

You don't love opinionated flame wars with no actual substance? Freak...
UwU

Apr 29, 2013 1:45 AM

It shows what majority think, usually something with a low rank is not really good, there are exepctions but ... I think is good to measure if is good or not, later depend the generes you like the most, and sometimes you can hate some kind of shit that people who watch that anime love.

For example: Mononoke, xxxholic and natsume ( this one is better for me ).. i found them slow and boring, but most people love them. Maybe I'm wrong, but I find in them are top rated and I don't enjoy it, but they are similar temathic...

Anyway people likes to value animes in different ways; quality is not the same than enjoyment, for me enjoyment is the most important thing, later I can value other things to finish the mark, but if I don't enjoy who cares that the anime is good.

This remember me the critics of movies that nobody watch because they are made in India for example and are filosophical but are a completely shit, but cinema critics say are masterpieces, when nobody can watch them because are boring and strange as hell. Here people values enjoyment overall and if quality or sound or something is special they can put it higher or lower. Those are my thoughts :/

Apr 29, 2013 1:57 AM

LOL there are some pathetic people on this thread. *clicks watching button*

Apr 29, 2013 2:01 AM

No. MAL rankings are shit and proves that MALers have shit taste, unlike me.
The Art of Eight

Apr 29, 2013 11:38 AM
Whoever bumped a BlackSabotage thread:

God damn you and burn in hell, now.

Apr 29, 2013 11:45 AM

dankickyou said:

Apr 29, 2013 11:47 AM
dankickyou said:

This, unless you're an LOGH elitist or Not_Biased disciple. Those kinds make my terminal cancer widespread as I approach my death phase.

Apr 29, 2013 12:08 PM

Depends, sometimes the scoring is fine and sometimes it's off by far according to my own preferences. Anyway, I don't really get ahead of myself stating my taste as being better than anyone else's. To each they're own.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.

Apr 29, 2013 10:11 PM

Nope not really.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin

Apr 30, 2013 3:06 AM

dankickyou said:
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!

May 1, 2013 3:55 PM

I do not agree with the ratings. Somehow, Clannad After Story is in the top 5 and that show is one of the worst animes that I have watched. I hope someone would destroy all records of it and delete all recorded episodes of it and so forth.
To the clueless people: my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire

Join if hate Clannad: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=12806&time=1389088639
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=41313

May 1, 2013 4:01 PM

monster7foot6 said:
I do not agree with the ratings. Somehow, Clannad After Story is in the top 5 and that show is one of the worst animes that I have watched. I hope someone would destroy all records of it and delete all recorded episodes of it and so forth.
LOL go watch more than 28 anime before you spout that shit.

May 1, 2013 4:43 PM

monster7foot6 said:

You gave a 10 to everything in your list except for Clannad and Lucky Star...which you gave a 1.

ok...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

May 1, 2013 4:47 PM

BlackSabotage said:
I don't myself I mean Ashita no Joe isn't even in the top 200 that's just blasphemy. Also Code Geass is pretty high up but I saw one episode and hated it so much I don't even know if I can pull myself to watch episode 2. Steins; Gate was good but don't know about top 5 good.

I could care less, heck I dont invlove myself in ranking either, even more when most of MAL users are pretty new to anime, too little exposure to anime from user to consider it seriously, user ranks are extremely biased too.

As you say, what are the chances for them watching anything pre-2000's? Heck, All I see are anime post 2005.

As you say, let alone Ashita no Joe ranking, do you think MAL users know it? Only very few people do.

I see that you and me belong to the same boat, those like us ae very few, having both been exposed to older anime I mean, evidently it shows in our favs, no way in hell knowing the big classics we could put anything else in our favs.

Indeed Steins;Gate was awesome, for people like us, again, those of us exposed to wider range of anime from all or several eras, no way in hell it can be in our favs, does not mean we don't or cant love it of course, I watched in one sitting myself, it was that good.

I loved dennoiu coil, Mushishi, Monster, Gurren Lagann, along many, yet the classics and masterpieces of the past have not been be beaten and or surpassed by anything new anime yet.

What do you see in people favs? Its Clannad, Lucky Star, Haruhi, Madoka, K-ON!, Code Geass (I actually quite liked this one) usually, I mean, Heavens!

johnyjohny said:
monster7foot6 said:

How about someone that has watched anime from 60s-till now? Exageratted but like I said, too little exposure, (l as you hint as well to disagree), that Clannad is in so many peoples top 5, its not that good.

Koromo_Toshinou said:
dankickyou said:

This, unless you're an LOGH elitist or Not_Biased disciple. Those kinds make my terminal cancer widespread as I approach my death phase.

Maybe so, But the other way around as well. Good taste and bad taste exist, that's undeniable.

What can be criticized of the taste of someone having LOGH, Ashita no Joe, Yamato, Bebop, Evagelion, Macross, etc in their favs...I think nothing, history speaks for those series.

I don't have LOGH in my fav, do I escape the "elitist" remark wonder :)

But favs are favs, I have no big issue there, only when the "best" and "top" in anime are the topic at hand, its sad how those are dominated by contemporary anime and mainly moe pandering anime to make things worst.

Modified by 9988, May 1, 2013 5:11 PM

May 1, 2013 5:00 PM

Koromo_Toshinou said:
Whoever bumped a BlackSabotage thread:

God damn you and burn in hell, now.

Jeez, a little much? I think you guys scared him away from the forums, I haven't seen him post anything in awhile. On topic, no I do not agree with the MAL ratings in the least. The fact that a person who has only seen one show can vote throws the whole thing out of whack.
Modified by Shrabster, May 1, 2013 8:31 PM

May 1, 2013 5:11 PM

9988 said:

johnyjohny said:
monster7foot6 said:

How about someone that has watched anime from 60s-till now? Exageratted but like I said, too little exposure, (l as you hint as well to disagree), that Clannad is in so many peoples top 5, its not that good.
To bad you got a bad taste that long. I mean c'mon i really liked DBZ as well. But it certainly wasn't a masterpiece.

May 1, 2013 6:47 PM

johnyjohny said:
9988 said:

johnyjohny said:
monster7foot6 said:

To bad you got a bad taste that long. I mean c'mon i really liked DBZ as well. But it certainly wasn't a masterpiece.

Are we talking masterpieces?

Indeed, I fully agree with you, DBZ is no masterpiece, once time has passed you see its flaws, however this classic of its time, can never shame on anyones favs. History speaks for it. I would actually give it the same 8 you gave it :)

What you say its equal to looking down on the original Yamato because it was the basically the first of its kind or one of the first ones, it has flaws.

Talking masterpices are bigger words, from my favs the masterpieces are Touch, Rose of Versailles and Top wo nerae.

Like you said to the guy, watch more anime and the first of your favs to be downgraded its most likely Clannad, make no mistake, I am not trashing it but tried to imply it was highly overrated, and not THAT-LEVEL good, its no classic and no masterpiece either.

Your favs are very awesome series! I could not say you have bad taste IMO, likewise I could only argue the overrated status of Clannad thus I am not looking down on you or favs at all, I take it almost as a compliment that my from my bad taste you were only able to single out DBZ :)

Modified by 9988, May 1, 2013 7:08 PM

May 1, 2013 6:54 PM

Not at all.
I would have thought the big three would be in the top 10 (Bare minimum) but it looks like that is not the case. I really don't see how Romance and comedy animes could even get into the top 50 not to mention the top 10.
Clannad in at #4....are you serious....no....just....no.

May 1, 2013 6:55 PM

Now that FMA:B is number 1, i believe everything is now settled prim and proper.
I love naruto~kun he's my husbando~~~~

May 1, 2013 7:11 PM
Still nope. Wait till steins gate hits 1 then yes I agree.

Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »