Forum Settings
Forums

Do you for the most part agree with the rankings on MAL?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
May 6, 2013 11:47 AM
Jul 2011
I honestly wish you couldn't rank a show until you have seen the whole series when it comes to the standard 13/26 episode shows but when it comes to longer series I think the 1/5 rule is the lowest amount of episodes you should have to watch for your ranking to be counted. I personally don't rank a show till I've completed it no matter how bad because that last episode could turn the whole anime around for all I know, though very doubtful. For the most part the rankings seem right for each show but just like anybody else on the site their is some placing of shows I would love to switch up. Theirs always going to be something you like that everyone hates and vice verse.
May 6, 2013 11:59 AM

Nov 2010
n10sity said:
Actually, I started watching One Piece when it first aired. Not having read the manga, I had no idea what I was getting into at the time. But that doesn't really matter. I've already stated that I have no problems with a minimum criteria, so there isn't any real point in addressing that again.
Fine then, well it still doesn't change my point.

n10sity said:
We should just focus on where our opinions truly differ: having to watch a show in its entirety in order to count against the top anime rankings. It's such a fundamental difference in opinion that any further discussion will probably prove futile. There is a real problem if I have to watch 100 episodes before I can have an opinion that counts against the ranking. By the time I have seen 13 or so episodes. I should have a good grasp on the story and the characters, not to mention the artwork, music, etc.
I don't think you should have to watch it in it's entirety, I would like that. But I know it's not possible, people drop anime early and they should still get a tiny say. I just think that the 1/5 they give us is fine. I don't see it as a problem that you have to watch 100 episodes, like I said the ranking does not affect your list. It is more like a privilege rather than a right.
No 13 episodes isn't nearly enough, especially for a longer anime. Characters change, grow, the story changes or renews, most longer anime have many arcs. Just seeing the first ain't enough to know about the whole anime. Artwork changes, especially for the longer anime as does artstyle. The only thing you can really get down is the setting, as that is usually established at the beginning, but even that changes as new parts of the world are explored, etc. And part of the music is how it goes with the anime, how it enhances scenes. For one, One Piece doesn't really have one of those powerful scenes with the music in the first 13 episodes.

n10sity said:
You say that the 1/5 rule only counts towards completed shows. I don't know where on this site it says that. But if that is true, then I have no problems with the ranking system. And no further discussion is needed. I take issue with your opinion that "the top list should be about rating the whole anime." But that is neither here nor there. A discussion I'd rather not have.
It kind of implies that here through the word choice. For one it says if an anime has 26 episodes or whatever then it's 1/5, but they don't keep track of the current amount of episodes of an airing anime. And it is true, anime usually jump a little whenever they end. Fine with me.

n10sity said:
You can substitute "people like me" with "some". It doesn't really change the point I was trying to make and it's not relevant enough to go into.
I was just checking, I was expecting you to come up with something about a certain type of user that might help me gain insight into what people are looking for in the ratings.

n10sity said:
Edit: Then again, the series has to end one day. So I guess I still do have a problem with the ranking system. But I can see now that we will just talk in circles about whether or not one needs to see all a series in order for that person's rating to count against the rank. Furthermore, maybe it all corrects itself in time. I imagine InuYasha would be ranked higher if it wasn't already completed.
Yes in about 10 years. I don't think someone needs to see all of it, but all of it would be best. I wouldn't have a problem with lowering that number(1/5) for longer anime if then there was a weight attached to each score to better find the score. Like your score won't count until you've seen 1/8 or 1/10 but then after that, your score increases in weight the closer you get to completed(when you've only watched, say 2/8, your score doesn't count much. But at 6/8 it almost counts the same as someone who's watched the whole thing), though maybe with a little gap near the end.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which season of Vinland Saga do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 2 hours ago

12 by TRC_Randy »»
3 minutes ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 9 hours ago

47 by billybub »»
9 minutes ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

124 by H_Erifu »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think you could fall in love with a fairy?

Shizuna - Yesterday

42 by WatchTillTandava »»
12 minutes ago

» Blackmail netorare hentais are really dumb

Kingdom-ya - Yesterday

9 by Piromysl »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.