Forum Settings
Forums
Mar 22, 2013 5:41 PM

What is the difference between the two and which position has more influence in the quality of an anime? Obviously the director's interpretation has the final say, but I've been wondering about this, especially in regards to Okada Mari.

Mar 22, 2013 5:44 PM

Script is most important. As with everything, whether it be a movie, a theater play, a TV series or an anime, the script is the most important part.

Other thing hod merit and are important too, yes. However, the script is what makes or breaks the show at the end.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.

Mar 22, 2013 6:55 PM

The series composition is its lighting, framing, scene arrangement, and soundtrack. The script only refers to what the actors do or say for the character(s) they're playing. The script doesn't necessarily reflect the overall quality of the writing because it also includes characterization and story development.

To the thread's other question, it depends. While composition needs to be present in all audiovisual stories at a serviceable level, some series are more reliant on composition than others.

Mar 22, 2013 7:15 PM
Script:
Sena: I love you.
Cue Kodaka's wtf face
Kodaka: What was that?
Kodaka leaves room
Cue Sena facing backwards with wtf look.

Series composition:
Episode 1 is beach episode
Episode 2 - 9 is random episode
Episode 10 is srs episode
Episode 11 is where shit gets real
Episode 12 is where shit gets flushed in the toliet
and/or
Episode 1-9 will have happy soundtrack
Episode 11-12 will have whiz khalifa singing the ED

Mar 22, 2013 7:28 PM
Actually, the person in charge of series composition mainly provides the flow and layout of the series' narrative. He gets to decide how the the story will go and what to put in each episode, but the the actual writing of the screenplay (which includes the lines) goes to the scriptwriter. Since it is impossible for one person to cover so much material and make it in time for broadcasting, the job of writing the script goes to a handful of people which usually include the guy in charge of series composition. The most a scriptwriter does is expand on what is given in the series composition but they may be given more freedom depending on how connected each episode of a series is. Of course, their work is still subject to the director's approval.

At any rate, series composition only refers to the written content of the show. The episode directors and storyboarders (usually the same person for each episode) are in charge of how a scene will look after reading the script although there have been times when animators deviate from the storyboard they are given. The sound director chooses when a particular track will be played in the show, although I'm not sure how much this job is involved with sound effects and voice acting. Digital photography is left to the digital team who usually add in effects such as bloom, lens flare, blur and camera shakes in the final stage of the visual process. They don't have much creative input aside from making the product prettier.

Mar 22, 2013 7:50 PM
bippo said:

Im pissing myself omg lol

Mar 22, 2013 8:44 PM

bippo said:
Script:
Sena: I love you.
Cue Kodaka's wtf face
Kodaka: What was that?
Kodaka leaves room
Cue Sena facing backwards with wtf look.

Series composition:
Episode 2 - 9 is random episode
Episode 10 is srs episode
Episode 11 is where shit gets real
Episode 12 is where shit gets flushed in the toliet
and/or
Episode 1-9 will have happy soundtrack
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!

Mar 22, 2013 8:48 PM

bippo said:

Series composition:

Good start.

Apr 22, 2016 4:26 AM

In LN,manga adaption, the original author is credited to be the creator but for original anime like Hanasaku Iroha and Tari Tari, who is credited to be the creator? Series composition or script. Hanasaku Iroha has multiple script writers.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.

Apr 22, 2016 5:51 AM

I think script is the most important part of any piece of play.
Excellent script writing along with shitty series composition makes for cheap thrills but compelling viewing.
Good Series composition marred with terrible script would probably suck all the way through..

It's like if your pop-tart isn't really heated well enough but yet you liked the flavor it really isn't that bad but I'd definitely prefer it over shitty filling along with decent crust..