Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 22, 2013 3:14 PM
Mar 2011
out of the games pre 3d Erai find II is very underrated why is this while yes it wont ever beat IV [or no FF wil never beat in difficulty ] and VI in Story or V in System but why is it so under rated while II has my Fave Enhancement system i know its its not on Technical levels bit Better tha V

the reason i like it more i like the Leveling System is SaGa Game more than More than MOst Other RPGs

but why all the general distain for this game

If it was III id understand when i first Played III on the Famicom i found it a bore while not as bad as VIII or X III is bad Just bad

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 22, 2013 3:25 PM

Sep 2011
I agree that II is very underrated. Never played III.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Mar 22, 2013 3:28 PM

Jan 2008
Maybe it's just me, but I'd say every Final Fantasy under 7 is underrated.
Mar 22, 2013 10:00 PM

Feb 2005
Eh Idunno. Maybe the LETS PLAY STARWARS plot. Or the bloody awful stats increase/decrease system that amounted to nothing but frustration and intense anal ache. Some of the remakes (GBA at least I think) fixed the latter though, and then it was all ok.

And it's just like you say, it's easily beat in story by stuff like IV and VI and in battle system by V. So there's not that much to remember it for.
Mar 23, 2013 5:49 AM
Nov 2009
Played I till III and they are too generic to be underrated, in my opinion.
Mar 23, 2013 7:51 AM
Mar 2011
Baman said:
Eh Idunno. Maybe the LETS PLAY STARWARS plot. Or the bloody awful stats increase/decrease system that amounted to nothing but frustration and intense anal ache. Some of the remakes (GBA at least I think) fixed the latter though, and then it was all ok.

And it's just like you say, it's easily beat in story by stuff like IV and VI and in battle system by V. So there's not that much to remember it for.

i take it you dislike the SaGa Leving system too cause its desgain by the same guy Kawazu Akitoshi and just like romancing SaGa were every one hates the system i love it

home come it seams theres alot of love for the junction system from VIII around here and that is the worse system ever in any rpg
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Mar 23, 2013 10:09 AM

Feb 2013
Paul said:
I completely disagree, I think that III and V are underrated, but the rest not so much in fact I would say that I and II are overrated, yes 1 had a huge impact on the industry back in the day, but at their core I and II are just grind fests and are only tolerable for the most patient of hardcore RPG players. Then IV and VI pretty much get just as much attention as VII-XIII, so I feel that they get the credit they deserve.
Mar 23, 2013 10:18 AM

Feb 2012
Baman said:
Eh Idunno. Maybe the LETS PLAY STARWARS plot. Or the bloody awful stats increase/decrease system that amounted to nothing but frustration and intense anal ache.

You're talking about FFXII now, right?

The more things change....
Mar 23, 2013 12:09 PM
Mar 2011
deadjames said:
Paul said:
I completely disagree, I think that III and V are underrated, but the rest not so much in fact I would say that I and II are overrated, yes 1 had a huge impact on the industry back in the day, but at their core I and II are just grind fests and are only tolerable for the most patient of hardcore RPG players. Then IV and VI pretty much get just as much attention as VII-XIII, so I feel that they get the credit they deserve.

III yes that is a Gride fest but i can get though both FF I and FF II at not even LV 20

Mar 23, 2013 2:26 PM

Feb 2013
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
Paul said:

III yes that is a Gride fest but i can get though both FF I and FF II at not even LV 20
First of all II doesn't even have levels, and I highly doubt anyone could get past even the third dungeon on I under level 20, I struggled with the second one in the teens, but still managed to beat it, and III is not at all a grindfest, you have to do minimal grinding at the beginning, but once you leave the Floating Continent there's never really any other times that you need to grind for the rest of the game, but I do remember a few times when I had to farm for gil, but on III the fact that you could change classes on the fly without having to stay committed to one like the first game is what kept the grinding and farming from getting boring.
Mar 23, 2013 5:04 PM
Mar 2011
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
Paul said:

First of all II doesn't even have levels, and I highly doubt anyone could get past even the third dungeon on I under level 20, I struggled with the second one in the teens, but still managed to beat it, and III is not at all a grindfest, you have to do minimal grinding at the beginning, but once you leave the Floating Continent there's never really any other times that you need to grind for the rest of the game, but I do remember a few times when I had to farm for gil, but on III the fact that you could change classes on the fly without having to stay committed to one like the first game is what kept the grinding and farming from getting boring.

when i say lvells i mean s when Stats get boosted up not Ture levels iv never eacivce more than 15 or 20 Stat boosts on any one Charcter on II
when i First Play it III i fFound Labaours
FF1 is Lest Grindy then DQ 1 and i played that First Like Most did and that that game is the biggest Grind fest going i ad amot that IN FF as long as you have spell Chagers you can do any thing imo my most Common part yin FF 1 is Black mage Red mage Black Belt and Fighter and in my Latest playtough on the Famicom version my end game LVs read Black mage 19 Black belt 17 Red mage 15 [ he died alot ] Fighter 21 [ he was al ways the last one alive if a my party died

Mar 23, 2013 8:04 PM

Feb 2013
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
Paul said:

when i say lvells i mean s when Stats get boosted up not Ture levels iv never eacivce more than 15 or 20 Stat boosts on any one Charcter on II
when i First Play it III i fFound Labaours
FF1 is Lest Grindy then DQ 1 and i played that First Like Most did and that that game is the biggest Grind fest going i ad amot that IN FF as long as you have spell Chagers you can do any thing imo my most Common part yin FF 1 is Black mage Red mage Black Belt and Fighter and in my Latest playtough on the Famicom version my end game LVs read Black mage 19 Black belt 17 Red mage 15 [ he died alot ] Fighter 21 [ he was al ways the last one alive if a my party died
I don't mean to be rude, and I'd really like to continue this discussion, but I really can't make any sense of your post.
Mar 23, 2013 8:19 PM

Feb 2005
Hakuromatsu said:
You're talking about FFXII now, right?

The more things change....
Well, XII at least had the graphics to make AWESOME SPESS..uh, AIRSHIP BATTLES and a badass DEATH ST...uh, BAHAMUT. Also, DARTH...uh, GABRANTH was pretty awesome.
Mar 25, 2013 7:08 AM

Nov 2007
DateYutaka said:

home come it seams theres alot of love for the junction system from VIII around here and that is the worse system ever in any rpg

I hate FF8 personally, and its junction system. And most of the people I know feel the same way. Rather than 8, 7 and 10 are probably the most popular FF games in the west. Though 8 is up there for some reason or another.
Mar 25, 2013 5:48 PM

Feb 2013
feder said:
DateYutaka said:

I hate FF8 personally, and its junction system. And most of the people I know feel the same way. Rather than 8, 7 and 10 are probably the most popular FF games in the west. Though 8 is up there for some reason or another.
The only thing wrong with the junction system is that it works too well, once you know how to abuse it you can break the game within the first couple hours and have no challenge for the rest of it, I still love FF VIII a lot for the story, art direction, and music though.
Mar 26, 2013 3:57 AM
Mar 2011
deadjames said:
feder said:
DateYutaka said:

The only thing wrong with the junction system is that it works too well, once you know how to abuse it you can break the game within the first couple hours and have no challenge for the rest of it, I still love FF VIII a lot for the story, art direction, and music though.

if you play the game like its supsposed to be played and dont look to exploit the system FF VIII is the worse system in any RPG
for the same reason that if you look of exploitng thw System the it becomes the worst

Hark i miss OLd scchool RPG were you could not explpit the system

Mar 26, 2013 10:12 AM

Feb 2005
DateYutaka said:
Well, it's usually possible to exploit the system in one way or another. Grinding a lot so you're stupidly over-levelled and kill bosses in a couple of hits is a way of exploiting the system too.
Mar 26, 2013 10:49 AM
Mar 2011
Baman said:
DateYutaka said:
Well, it's usually possible to exploit the system in one way or another. Grinding a lot so you're stupidly over-levelled and kill bosses in a couple of hits is a way of exploiting the system too.

its was not as easy was it as it is today

Mar 26, 2013 11:43 AM

Feb 2012
Whoa whoa whoa -- this topic is about the old-school RPG Final Fantasy II. The game that let you cancel your command inputs ad nauseum to raise your stats.
Mar 26, 2013 11:44 AM
Mar 2011
Hakuromatsu said:
Whoa whoa whoa -- this topic is about the old-school RPG Final Fantasy II. The game that let you cancel your command inputs ad nauseum to raise your stats.

i never did that trick
i only found out about it 15 years later lol

Mar 26, 2013 11:46 AM

Feb 2012
Okay. But you still can't say that exploiting old-school RPGs was harder than exploiting RPGs today when games like FFII were broken by tricks like that.

FFII also had non-bug exploits like attacking your party members in otherwise easy battles.
Mar 26, 2013 11:52 AM
Mar 2011
Hakuromatsu said:
Okay. But you still can't say that exploiting old-school RPGs was harder than exploiting RPGs today when games like FFII were broken by tricks like that.

FFII also had non-bug exploits like attacking your party members in otherwise easy battles.

side note the ONly system i ever exploted to big sucees WAS FF X im a good g RPG PLayer who Plays games lagit who does not look for explouts in games
i only look for the FF ten ones cuase i Filled uo my Grid ad had no 255 Stats on Party member

Mar 26, 2013 12:05 PM

Jun 2011
DateYutaka said:
if you play the game like its supsposed to be played and dont look to exploit the system FF VIII is the worse system in any RPG
for the same reason that if you look of exploitng thw System the it becomes the worst

Like it's supposed to be played? You mean wasting time grinding?

I don't find grinding to be fun or rewarding, so I like the junction system because it's a lot more flexible way of getting stronger if you know what you're doing. (and apparently a source of frustration if you don't, as evidenced by the common complaint about needing to draw magic)
Mar 26, 2013 12:36 PM

Nov 2007
deadjames said:
feder said:
DateYutaka said:

I never said there was anything wrong with it; I just said I hated it.

I had a really hard time liking the characters, and the battle system and modern fantasy aspect turned me off. I prefer more traditional style RPGs like FF4 and FF9 when it comes to Final Fantasy.

I've seen the ending and various clips of the middle of the game, and none of it really excited me enough to keep playing. I'd rather spend my time on other games instead, or get around to actually beating some of the other FF games.
Mar 26, 2013 2:15 PM
Mar 2011
Narmy said:
DateYutaka said:

Like it's supposed to be played? You mean wasting time grinding?

I don't find grinding to be fun or rewarding, so I like the junction system because it's a lot more flexible way of getting stronger if you know what you're doing. (and apparently a source of frustration if you don't, as evidenced by the common complaint about needing to draw magic)

whie chopping your mages off a nd the knees
i like my mages to attacks to the best of there abitlly thats why for the most part i like my Party to be mage heavy
eg Last time i playe though X
my Party as i was ready to face Final Boss after dooing every thing in the game
was
Yuna
Lulu
the Ronso
Rikku
Auron

to assasin old classes too X my Class chry would read

White
Blue
Black
Alchmest
Samurai

you see i like a Magic center party and Junctioning cit me off at the Knees so badly Having Limted spell chages was OK in FF I but having it in a new RPG LIke VIII kind new is like Suddenly having to keep track of you food supply IN rpgs again

Mar 26, 2013 2:21 PM

Feb 2013
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
feder said:
DateYutaka said:

What are you talking about RPGs today are much harder to break, and FF VIII is considered old, the PS1, N64, and Sega Saturn are considered to be the last of the retro consoles. Seriously, I dare you to try to break a newer RPG like Ni No Kuni or Paper Mario Sticker Star, it simply can't be done.
Mar 26, 2013 2:25 PM
Mar 2011
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
feder said:
DateYutaka said:

What are you talking about RPGs today are much harder to break, and FF VIII is considered old, the PS1, N64, and Sega Saturn are considered to be the last of the retro consoles. Seriously, I dare you to try to break a newer RPG like Ni No Kuni or Paper Mario Sticker Star, it simply can't be done.

i never try to Brake them

bt calling The Saturn old you must be calling me really old i was 10 when it came out lol

i say i call it old once im 40 45 maybe but not now

Mar 26, 2013 2:26 PM

Feb 2013
feder said:
deadjames said:
feder said:
DateYutaka said:

I never said there was anything wrong with it; I just said I hated it.

I had a really hard time liking the characters, and the battle system and modern fantasy aspect turned me off. I prefer more traditional style RPGs like FF4 and FF9 when it comes to Final Fantasy.

I've seen the ending and various clips of the middle of the game, and none of it really excited me enough to keep playing. I'd rather spend my time on other games instead, or get around to actually beating some of the other FF games.
Well that's just a matter of preference, personally I prefer the steam punk setting of VI and VII, but IX is definitely my favorite gameplay wise, I love almost all of the FF games excluding some of the prequels, sequels, and spin-offs, the only game in the main series I don't like is XI because I can't really get into MMOs and I haven't played XIV and probably never will for that same reason.
Mar 26, 2013 2:32 PM

Feb 2013
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
feder said:
DateYutaka said:

i never try to Brake them

bt calling The Saturn old you must be calling me really old i was 10 when it came out lol

i say i call it old once im 40 45 maybe but not now
You have to look at the age of consoles in the context of technology, the Saturn came out in 1994, that's 19 years ago, that's an incredibly long time in terms of technology because it ages and progresses much faster than we as humans do, and I can't believe that I have to explain this in a discussion about video games, it should be a given.
Mar 26, 2013 2:34 PM
Mar 2011
XI is my second fave 3d one behind IX

VII - Overated

X Even more So But good Lyrical Music Though
i Hate Tidus Its not His story its Yuna's story and also its a poor love story as well

X2- Yay a Jobsystem Again That is all

XII - Sakaguchi and Tokita left we got this

XIII- i Hate many reasons

Tactics - would be best game in the Franchsie but i hate the Universe it created cuae i hate the other games in it

Type 0 top Class game

Side note i was always a Enix Chunsoft NCS and Falcom above a squre Soft Guy so
That why i see Most FF games as Easy

the only two that have the same sort of diff cerve are DQ I and FF II
DateYutakaMar 26, 2013 2:39 PM

Mar 26, 2013 2:48 PM

Nov 2009
I can't help but laugh at the idiots who think that FFVIII is nothing but a grinding drawfest.

Apart from Drawing GF's from set bosses or enemies throughout the game. I don't draw at all. There is simply no need. Getting magic from converting items via GF abilities is a much more viable way.

People who complain about the junction system in that game just have a boner for spending 30+ hours on the game clock grinding for their stats. Personally I find that a real chore and have better things to do with my time.

I think it's because of that that VIII is my favourite FF by quite a long way.
Mar 26, 2013 3:00 PM

Feb 2013
DateYutaka said:

VII - Overated

i Hate Tidus Its not His story its Yuna's story and also its a poor love story as well

Tactics - would be best game in the Franchsie but i hate the Universe it created cuae i hate the other games in it

Type 0 top Class game

Why exactly is VII overrated? I hear that a lot, no one has been able to back it up, the fact that is was the most commercially successful in the series doesn't detract from the fact that has what is objectively one of the most well-designed battle systems in any RPG. With XIII what exactly do you hate about it? I'm just wondering because I'm one of the few people who thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tactics is terrible, the story is great, but the game itself is so broken and buggy, and the presentation is just awful, that game turned me off of turn-based strategy games for so many years because I thought they were all that bad until I got into Fire Emblem and realized that there actually are some pretty awesome ones. And while I agree that the universe is lame on the other Tactics games, the gameplay is much, much better, mainly because everything actually works the way it's supposed to.

Also Dragon Quest was Enix, not Squaresoft and I personally find their games to be generally much easier than Squaresoft ones, but the only ones I've played are Dragon Quest 1 and 8, and Star Ocean 2, as for Falcom I've only played the Ys 1 and 2 remakes on PSP neither of which are all that challenging unless you play on the nightmare difficulty setting.
Mar 26, 2013 3:06 PM

Feb 2013
Riptos said:
I can't help but laugh at the idiots who think that FFVIII is nothing but a grinding drawfest.

Apart from Drawing GF's from set bosses or enemies throughout the game. I don't draw at all. There is simply no need. Getting magic from converting items via GF abilities is a much more viable way.

People who complain about the junction system in that game just have a boner for spending 30+ hours on the game clock grinding for their stats. Personally I find that a real chore and have better things to do with my time.

That's pretty much what I meant by it works too well, once you realize that you can get spells from items, you get ridiculously overpowered and nothing in the game really presents you with a challenge, that being said I feel like that is the games only major flaw and it is still very enjoyable.
Mar 26, 2013 3:11 PM
Mar 2011
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:

VII - Overated

Type 0 top Class game

Why exactly is VII overrated? I hear that a lot, no one has been able to back it up, the fact that is was the most commercially successful in the series doesn't detract from the fact that has what is objectively one of the most well-designed battle systems in any RPG. With XIII what exactly do you hate about it? I'm just wondering because I'm one of the few people who thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tactics is terrible, the story is great, but the game itself is so broken and buggy, and the presentation is just awful, that game turned me off of turn-based strategy games for so many years because I thought they were all that bad until I got into Fire Emblem and realized that there actually are some pretty awesome ones. And while I agree that the universe is lame on the other Tactics games, the gameplay is much, much better, mainly because everything actually works the way it's supposed to.

Also Dragon Quest was Enix, not Squaresoft and I personally find their games to be generally much easier than Squaresoft ones, but the only ones I've played are Dragon Quest 1 and 8, and Star Ocean 2, as for Falcom I've only played the Ys 1 and 2 remakes on PSP neither of which are all that challenging unless you play on the nightmare difficulty setting.

Remakes were they Added setting that made the game more Easy YS 5 Expert thats is Falcom FF IX in my eyes an opus if ever i saw one and Ys has been up and down ever since IMO
but when i bring up Falcom i bing up Falcom not For YS

Mar 26, 2013 3:19 PM

Feb 2013
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:

VII - Overated

Type 0 top Class game

Remakes were they Added setting that made the game more Easy YS 5 Expert thats is Falcom FF IX in my eyes an opus if ever i saw one and Ys has been up and down ever since IMO
No, I agree FF IX is definitely the best in the series, and I was making the point that I haven't played many Falcom and Enix games, but the ones I have weren't particularly challenging, but you failed to answer any of my questions.
Mar 26, 2013 3:30 PM
Mar 2011
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:

VII - Overated

Type 0 top Class game

No, I agree FF IX is definitely the best in the series, and I was making the point that I haven't played many Falcom and Enix games, but the ones I have weren't particularly challenging, but you failed to answer any of my questions.

Cloud is over rated as a lead the Villain is even more so The Music is nothing comparing to Dragon quest VII the Story is nothing to Xenogears need i go on and i not big Xenogears fan but i has 20 times the story of FF VII

Mar 26, 2013 3:31 PM

Feb 2013
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:

VII - Overated

Type 0 top Class game

Cloud is over rated as a lead the Villain is even more so The Music is nothing comparing to Dragon quest VII the Story is nothing to Xenogears need i go on and i not big Xenogears fan but i has 20 times the story of FF VII
I was looking more for specific faults, not your personal preferences.
Mar 26, 2013 3:34 PM
Mar 2011
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:

VII - Overated

Type 0 top Class game

Its far too easy the Hardest Boss is still very easy lucky 7777 anyone

Mar 26, 2013 3:45 PM

Jun 2011
Riptos said:

Exactly. You can get through the game just fine without drawing, but that's still the one criticism I always see.

I don't really understand it though... if you play the game for long enough to check your GF status, it's pretty obvious that you can learn abilities to refine magic. How do some people not realize this?
Mar 26, 2013 3:45 PM

Feb 2013
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:

VII - Overated

Type 0 top Class game

Lucky 7s are very difficult to engineer, it mostly only occurs coincidentally because it was put into the game as an Easter egg since it was the seventh installment, also by nature most RPGs are only as easy as you make them, as your characters grow the game generally gets easier, of course there exceptions I can think of such as FF VIII, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls because the enemie's levels scale with you, Dark Souls because any mistake in combat can get you killed, or Paper Mario Sticker Star because you are only as good as the stickers you have in your arsenal, but FF VII is a very traditional RPG for the most part.
Mar 26, 2013 3:50 PM
Mar 2011
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:

VII - Overated

Type 0 top Class game

Lucky 7s are very difficult to engineer, it mostly only occurs coincidentally because it was put into the game as an Easter egg since it was the seventh installment, also by nature most RPGs are only as easy as you make them, as your characters grow the game generally gets easier, of course there exceptions I can think of such as FF VIII, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls because the enemie's levels scale with you, Dark Souls because any mistake in combat can get you killed, or Paper Mario Sticker Star because you are only as good as the stickers you have in your arsenal, but FF VII is a very traditional RPG for the most part.

very traditional RPG rpg my foot

the first 5 RPG i ever played were
U 4
Wizardry
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Quest
Xanadu
try to even drop othe Idea that VII is very traditional RPG to me and i relsresve my right to Laugh at you

FF has not Been a very traditional RPG since VI IX came close

Mar 26, 2013 8:34 PM

Feb 2013
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:

VII - Overated

Type 0 top Class game

U 4
Wizardry
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Quest
Xanadu
try to even drop othe Idea that VII is very traditional RPG to me and i relsresve my right to Laugh at you

I think you're getting story and setting confused with gameplay, because yes gameplay wise VII is very much a traditional RPG, and my point still stands that the difficulty of RPGs with traditional leveling systems is mostly dictated by the level of your characters at any given time, of course there are lots of variables involved, but that is generally the case.
Mar 27, 2013 4:26 AM
Mar 2011
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:
deadjames said:
DateYutaka said:

VII - Overated

Type 0 top Class game

U 4
Wizardry
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Quest
Xanadu

I think you're getting story and setting confused with gameplay, because yes gameplay wise VII is very much a traditional RPG, and my point still stands that the difficulty of RPGs with traditional leveling systems is mostly dictated by the level of your characters at any given time, of course there are lots of variables involved, but that is generally the case.

while yes in some ways
im a traditional kindA guy and cause of this is VII never was my sort of game
cause its setting never wet well with me and plus as i said the system in V was wll always be the best yes i love a Proper Job System i also love abitly Learning in VI

Mar 27, 2013 10:54 PM

Feb 2008
DateYutaka said:

VII - Overated

Type 0 top Class game

Wait, you don't love Tactics just because of other games in it's universe? With that logic, you should dislike the whole FF series because you don't like 1/3 of it. I mean yeah, I'm not fan of XII either, neither of Tactics Advance, but that doesn't make Tactics less enjoyable. It's still my favorite Final Fantasy title.

XIII got way too many hate. It's sure isn't the best, but I can't really call it bad. I've only beaten the first DVD and I really enjoyed it. Sure it doesn't feel like your classic Final Fantasy, but neither did XII and I don't see much hate for that one. "Too linear" is the worst argument ever. FFX was also linear, yet people love it. I feel like people haven't played bad games if they call XIII the worst.

Also FFIV and FFVI master race.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Mar 28, 2013 7:13 AM

Feb 2005
ZetaZaku said:
I feel like people haven't played bad games if they call XIII the worst.
Well I sure haven't played any worse FF games.

And come on, there's obviously different grades of linearity. In FFX you could waltz around on your own pace and fly back and forth between pretty much all areas, doing sidequest stuff as you liked, even if the actual map progression was pretty much a straight line.
In XIII on the other hand, you walk through this single corridor for the entire game apart from that big empty field towards the end.

The biggest problem of course is the atrocious story and character writing, but I've ranted enough about that already.
Mar 28, 2013 8:57 AM
Mar 2011
ZetaZaku said:
DateYutaka said:

VII - Overated

Type 0 top Class game

Wait, you don't love Tactics just because of other games in it's universe? With that logic, you should dislike the whole FF series because you don't like 1/3 of it. I mean yeah, I'm not fan of XII either, neither of Tactics Advance, but that doesn't make Tactics less enjoyable. It's still my favorite Final Fantasy title.

XIII got way too many hate. It's sure isn't the best, but I can't really call it bad. I've only beaten the first DVD and I really enjoyed it. Sure it doesn't feel like your classic Final Fantasy, but neither did XII and I don't see much hate for that one. "Too linear" is the worst argument ever. FFX was also linear, yet people love it. I feel like people haven't played bad games if they call XIII the worst.

Also FFIV and FFVI master race.

there is differant between me saying somthing is the best and somthing being my fave
Overall V is my 2md Fave RPG on the Super Famicom Just beten out by Dragon Quest V

Mar 28, 2013 6:44 PM

Feb 2013
Baman said:
ZetaZaku said:

And come on, there's obviously different grades of linearity. In FFX you could waltz around on your own pace and fly back and forth between pretty much all areas, doing sidequest stuff as you liked, even if the actual map progression was pretty much a straight line.
In XIII on the other hand, you walk through this single corridor for the entire game apart from that big empty field towards the end.

The biggest problem of course is the atrocious story and character writing, but I've ranted enough about that already.
The thing about XIII that a lot of people don't know because they neglected to finish the game is that it's actually not linear, the first half of the game is, but once you get to Gran Pulse it really opens up, and while there are only a few optional areas to explore, it has more sidequests than any other game in the series except for XII, I know this because I'm somewhat of an FF collector and I have the guides for almost every game and XII is the only one with a bigger sidequest section than XIII.

Also looking at it objectively the story and characters on XIII are much more well-written than X, it's my opinion that X is a better game, but in terms of writing fundamentals XIII is much more well put together.
Mar 28, 2013 7:11 PM

Feb 2012
Baman said:
ZetaZaku said:

I know I've debated this with you, but I still can't justify calling XIII worse than I or II. Although once again that's more a difference in principle than opinion on the game itself.
Mar 28, 2013 7:14 PM
Mar 2011
Hakuromatsu said:
Baman said:
ZetaZaku said:

I know I've debated this with you, but I still can't justify calling XIII worse than I or II. Although once again that's more a difference in principle than opinion on the game itself.

since the merger FF has suffered badly imo so has DQ to a Lesser extent

Mar 28, 2013 7:19 PM

Feb 2013
Hakuromatsu said:
Baman said:
ZetaZaku said:

I'd have to agree with you there, I and II are definitely the weakest entries in the main series, but if you factor spin-offs, and direct prequels/sequels into the equation then I'd have to say Mystic Quest is probably the worst.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What's your favorite video game that you've never actually beaten? ( 1 2 )

TheBlockernator - Apr 15, 2022

50 by Firwik_Howlo »»
1 hour ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

138 by Kajiuran »»
3 hours ago

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

18 by tectacles »»
3 hours ago

» How to play Sports Video Games?

TheSunLife - Apr 3

10 by Jensenessy »»
10 hours ago

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - Apr 17

29 by loligoth666 »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.