Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (27) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Mar 23, 2013 4:09 PM

May 2012
Great ending to a great show. I enjoyed it almost all the time, giving it a 9/10. I hope the sales get better D:
That twist at the end with the Chromosomes, I actually did not see the coming. That made what the bakumezani [bad speller] do seem not pointless, they had a cause to stand up for their race.
Overall, I'm going to miss watching this every weekend. Hope to get my hands on the novels in the next coming weeks
Mar 23, 2013 4:13 PM

Nov 2011
A show with an actual conclusion, do you know how long it's been since i've seen one.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 23, 2013 4:27 PM

Jun 2009
Zee530 said:
A show with an actual conclusion, do you know how long it's been since i've seen one.

What have you been watching lately?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2013 4:42 PM

Nov 2012
I think at the end of it, after all that time of hating Squealer and still- even now- knowing that the way he was going about some of the stuff was wrong yet so familiar, we all knew he was human. That queerats were humans. And seeing Squealer on the stand, shouting "We're human" and seeing those literally ignorant (not used as an insult) 'humans' laugh at him like it was some kind of joke, it made me tear up. Because I can see countless leaders, even countless citizens and everyday people, standing up on some pillar, stripped bare of pride, honor, and dignity, standing there in all their filth of sins and small glory of morality they retained while bound in the robes of defiant hope, screaming at the top of their lungs with the tears in their eyes, "We may have done wrong, but we are not wrong. We may do right, but we are not all right. We're just as important, we're equal too, we are worth something. We matter". And the most direct way that Squealer could possibly have directed this message towards the council was literally to say, "We're human too", because being human grants you so many rights that animals nowadays don't receive- just like the queerats...

In the end, the whole war was just humans killing humans. But I'm glad Saki and Satoru finally got married, and are raising tainted cats, and decided to change and help change. Really the whole thing just revolved around imagination, of what you think, dream, suppose, and wonder. Wherever thoughts lead, beings follow. And that is how all souls connect- even if we may have different bodies.
SpiraiMar 23, 2013 5:21 PM
Mar 23, 2013 4:48 PM

Jun 2012
Well the last episode wasn't anything epic with a battle or much fighting (besides the opening scene), but it was a great resolution.

It's true, though, that the queerats were pretty much subject to the humans. I'm a little surprised that even Tomiko wanted such punishment, it seems now that she would be the first to figure out the reason behind Yakomaru's revolt.

This series was amazing, considering it as another favorite. Not sure on the rating as of now.

Mar 23, 2013 4:50 PM

Aug 2011
I loved the whole show...

I find it fascinating. It's the only show that I felt each episode like 5 minutes long.

I loved the human identity crisis that grew up inside me week by week. Right now I can't think clearly...

There were controversial ethical issues such as the human sacrifices for the survival of a human society, which, for me, was the most I liked. And talking about controversials, I find the pansexual episodes pretty suitable for the whole story.

I think the solution to kill the 'demon' was brilliant, Satoru remembered Shun c:, and that solution to kill the 'demon' was Shun's.
Saki is a good person, she killed Yakoumaru to not suffer any more... :')

This episode had a very pleasant ending, 10/10 for this episode.

And a solid 10 out of 10 for the whole show. I loved the OST/OP/ED and the quality animation (including those 2 episodes that had a wierd animation, kinda creative).

This show is epic, it goes for my top5 now...
Mar 23, 2013 4:52 PM

Jun 2011
excellent series, great plot. i would like to read the novels if they were translated.
9.5/10
9/10 on MAL
Mar 23, 2013 4:55 PM
Aug 2010
we will not find any anime with a story complex like that, great show with great anime I real enjoyed it ever minutes of it.

I will give this show 9\10
Mar 23, 2013 5:01 PM
Mar 2013
I hate Yakomaru for transforming Maria’s child into a queerat. But Cantus users did the same to all non Cantus humans. That’s why the ending was for me rather bitter than sweet even with Saki and Satoru building new (better) world for next generations.

I wonder if the villagers were killing kids without Cantus because they were afraid that death feedback wouldn’t be activated or just that non Cantus users could some day dominate over the „gods”?

Anyway, I love this anime and I will buy it for sure.
I wish I could read the novel.

10/10
Mar 23, 2013 5:05 PM
Jun 2012
Sorry guys, but I can't quite see where's this happy or even bittersweet ending people talk about.

Humanity learned nothing. The status quo returned. Yakomaru, hero of the revolution, was taught the fate that awaits those who defy the gods. And Saki "hopes" her child will live in a better world. Laughable.

Let's go through this by bits, starting at the end. The queerats were human. So what? All of a sudden we've got all these people (a couple in the anime, a lot here in the forum) in shock that they were human. What difference does it matter? Is it ok to enslave sentient and intelligent creatures as long as they are not human, subjecting their lives and deaths to a whim of your humor? And then do a couple of lines about genetics change any of the previous facts? Boy, no wonder it took so long for black people to have their rights recognised.

(Surprising how no one has pointed out yet how ridiculous is the implication that the PK users of the past did genetic modifications to pretty much everyone who was not one of them to create the queerats. That's some industrial scale genetics going on there.)

So, we've got these enslaved people, who must subject both to the arbitrarities of both the humans and their queens. They find a hope in Yakomaru, a leader who helps to depose the queens and is now looking to liberate them from the humans. They wage war and fail, narrowly escaping absolute extermination. All in all, today was a sad day for those who believe in freedom and equal rights. It should be noted that even the "loyal" Kiroumaru had previously tried to find the psychobuster. Have no doubt, had he found it, it would have been him to lead the revolution. But what did the humans learn from this? Nothing. They just laugh at the queerat pretensions from the height of their stands, now that they won and have nothing to fear. They see nothing wrong with the previous status quo and are keen to return to it. Kind of reminds me of the German Peasant's War and how the aristocracy solved it by butchering the peasants.

And lastly a few words for the humans, in particular Saki. First she didn't want to kill the girl because she was not sure she was a fiend. Then she busted Satoru's chance of killing her because she didn't want him to go down. And when she finally concludes that she really isn't a fiend she is totally ok with killing her at the expense of Kiroumaru. Oh, that heartache seeing her dying, repeating to yourself you didn't kill her! No more than any of the education board killed any of those children with the tainted cats, that's for sure. So, they win and return to the village with Yakomaru prisoner. From Satoru's talk with him we can understand that this whole rebellion thing went over his head. WHY WOULD THE RATS REBEL AGAINST THE GODS!? As for Saki's legendary strength, she couldn't even stand behind the reasons she had to put an end to Yakomaru's suffering. No, she went on to lead the village with her reasons buried in lies, what a leader she'll be. And then the whole "hoping" that her child will live in a better world. How exactly will that happen? She's the leader. She did nothing to rehabilitate the rats' image. She did nothing to make the others see how wrong they had been. She just hopes. Wishful thinking won't get you anywhere, kid! Honestly, why did Tomiko choose her as her successor? I feel it was less due to her "strength" and much more due to her complete inability to challenge the established rules, despite being fully aware that they were bad.

But, please, don't get me wrong. I did enjoy watching this anime in a weekly basis and it was indeed thought provoking. I also understand that not all stories have happy endingds. I'm just not sure if it provoked the right thoughts on the viewers. Ah well, rip Yakomaru. Your kind was not completely eradicated, there might still be hope for a future uprising.

EDIT: Btw, I forgot. Yakomaru's coat was damn cool. Guy looked like a serious gangster there! xD
llefvoidMar 23, 2013 5:08 PM
Mar 23, 2013 5:06 PM

Apr 2012
Complete and absolute masterpiece. My first 10/10 since 2006.

I almost got the queerat origins right, thought they might be the non-PK humans mutated by Cantus leakage. But it was actually deliberate.

Squealer taking back his native name was perfect symbolism. They can strip him naked all they like, but he still has more dignity than every "human" in that trial room put together. The story is completely honest about what happens when the slave classes try to stand up to the ruling classes. They profess themselves better, claim not to treat you badly, but then treat one of their own as more valuable than all of yours put together, and show not the tiniest trace of mercy. And since they have all the power, they generally win.

There's no happy ending here. A happy ending would have to see "human" power over queerats smashed. But this is a realistic show, the continuation of oppression we see here is a quite appropriate way for it to end.

It's been a brilliant success as an intellectual story, a brilliant success as a tense thriller, and a brilliant success as an emotional rollercoaster. This anime ranks amongst the greatest works of television ever made.
Mar 23, 2013 5:06 PM
Aug 2008
zulli2 said:
I hate Yakomaru for transforming Maria’s child into a queerat. But Cantus users did the same to all non Cantus humans. That’s why the ending was for me rather bitter than sweet even with Saki and Satoru building new (better) world for next generations.

I wonder if the villagers were killing kids without Cantus because they were afraid that death feedback wouldn’t be activated or just that non Cantus users could some day dominate over the „gods”?

Anyway, I love this anime and I will buy it for sure.
I wish I could read the novel.

10/10

You have humans killing PK users after studying them because they realize the threat to society.

1,000 years later, these humans realize that gene insertion was necessary to prevent the auto-destruction of its society.

If any of them are even remotely threatened by a human without Cantus, it would spell trouble for them. They would be immune to Cantus users and could hurt them with any weapon or tool for all they like, they'd be equivalent to a fiend, but more rational. Anyhow, even if they were to survive, they would be rejects of the society because the majority of the village are PK users.
Mar 23, 2013 5:09 PM

Jan 2011
A lot can be said about this anime. All I'm going to say is I'm glad it was adapted and I'm glad I watched it. I had a few strange parts in it but now that it is completed, nothing is out of place. It is a very cerebral work. I think it deserves a slightly higher score than it has right now. It's unfortunate that a lot of people dropped this during the role transition phase of the anime.

Kiroumaru...you are not only the man, but you embody many of the topics this work has come to expose.
Mar 23, 2013 5:11 PM
Jun 2012
logopolis said:

I almost got the queerat origins right, thought they might be the non-PK humans mutated by Cantus leakage. But it was actually deliberate.

Squealer taking back his native name was perfect symbolism. They can strip him naked all they like, but he still has more dignity than every "human" in that trial room put together. The story is completely honest about what happens when the slave classes try to stand up to the ruling classes. They profess themselves better, claim not to treat you badly, but then treat one of their own as more valuable than all of yours put together, and show not the tiniest trace of mercy. And since they have all the power, they generally win.

There's no happy ending here. A happy ending would have to see "human" power over queerats smashed. But this is a realistic show, the continuation of oppression we see here is a quite appropriate way for it to end.

It's been a brilliant success as an intellectual story, a brilliant success as a tense thriller, and a brilliant success as an emotional rollercoaster. This anime ranks amongst the greatest works of television ever made.

Yeah, basically you nailed it in half of my post length. It saddens me to see that most people here think this was a good ending, or maybe half good because Saki lost some friends. No one gives a shit about the rats.
Mar 23, 2013 5:14 PM
Aug 2008
llefvoid said:
logopolis said:

Yeah, basically you nailed it in half of my post length. It saddens me to see that most people here think this was a good ending, or maybe half good because Saki lost some friends. No one gives a shit about the rats.

People probably see this as a good ending in terms of err, liking Saki and Satoru and somehow having them marry together while having this business of rats overthrowing being no more of an issue.

I was somewhat irked by the display of the trial though. I mean that white-haired woman with her vengeance... and Satoru's anger.. it didn't fair well with me. This community remains to be a dystopia anyhow.
Mar 23, 2013 5:16 PM
Jun 2012
Nequam said:
llefvoid said:
logopolis said:

People probably see this as a good ending in terms of err, liking Saki and Satoru and somehow having them marry together while having this business of rats overthrowing being no more of an issue.

I was somewhat irked by the display of the trial though. I mean that white-haired woman with her vengeance... and Satoru's anger.. it didn't fair well with me. This community remains to be a dystopia anyhow.

No more of an issue. Like I said, the gods crushed the insolent humans and now they can go back to their godly lives. And we all breathe in relief because the gods look like we do.
Mar 23, 2013 5:20 PM

Nov 2012
Ncrdrg said:

When they had this meeting over what happened to the Giant Hornet colony, they proposed the hypothesis that it was a fiend that crushed their armies. So then, the next question was, where did it come from? Saki, I think, raised the possibility, could it be Maria and Mamoru, maybe they really did survive after all?! And the next words that came out of the female leader (I forget her name) crushed her. She said it was impossible because they matched the bones of both skeletons using DNA to determine without a shred of doubt it was Maria and Mamoru.

I have two questions. But first, some background info to set them up: Satoru in this last episode explained how queerats are actually related to humans by telling Saki he looked at their number of chromosomes and DNA. Satoru couldn't just do this during his 'free time' without having a lab and permission from the council. That means he worked there (I forgot the name of it) and he had been analyzing this stuff from the start. So....

1.) That means Satoru could have known the bones were really Mamoru and Maria's. Why didnt' he tell Saki?

2.) When Satoru already knew about the queerats being like humans before the battle with the 'fiend', why didn't he receive death feedback from killing all those queerats? (And also for attempting to kill the 'fiend' which was clearly human?)
Mar 23, 2013 5:24 PM
Aug 2008
Spirai said:
Ncrdrg said:

When they had this meeting over what happened to the Giant Hornet colony, they proposed the hypothesis that it was a fiend that crushed their armies. So then, the next question was, where did it come from? Saki, I think, raised the possibility, could it be Maria and Mamoru, maybe they really did survive after all?! And the next words that came out of the female leader (I forget her name) crushed her. She said it was impossible because they matched the bones of both skeletons using DNA to determine without a shred of doubt it was Maria and Mamoru.

I have two questions. But first, some background info to set them up: Satoru in this last episode explained how queerats are actually related to humans by telling Saki he looked at their number of chromosomes and DNA. Satoru couldn't just do this during his 'free time' without having a lab and permission from the council. That means he worked there (I forgot the name of it) and he had been analyzing this stuff from the start. So....

1.) That means Satoru could have known the bones were really Mamoru and Maria's. Why didnt' he tell Saki?

2.) When Satoru already knew about the queerats being like humans before the battle with the 'fiend', why didn't he receive death feedback from killing all those queerats? (And also for attempting to kill the 'fiend' which was clearly human?)

In the anime, they only showed Saki seeing her in pain, as far as I'm concerned Satoru came afterwards. Also, in the last part they mentioned that enough genes were inserted so that no matter what they did, killing them did not trigger feedback.

A combination of relative difference in genotypes and shown phenotype is what prevents death feedback.
Mar 23, 2013 5:28 PM
Jun 2012
Nequam said:
Spirai said:
Ncrdrg said:

In the anime, they only showed Saki seeing her in pain, as far as I'm concerned Satoru came afterwards. Also, in the last part they mentioned that enough genes were inserted so that no matter what they did, killing them did not trigger feedback.

A combination of relative difference in genotypes and shown phenotype is what prevents death feedback.

Wasn't it supposed to be a psychological thing? After all, the girl succumbed to death feedback after killing Kiroumaru. It's not a matter of what the others are in reality, it's a matter of how you perceive them.

But regarding Satoru, I think you're overanalysing it, Spirai. It's a plot hole, if you will. Satoru looked at it in his free time after the war. End of story.
Mar 23, 2013 5:32 PM
Aug 2008
llefvoid said:
Nequam said:
Spirai said:
Ncrdrg said:

Wasn't it supposed to be a psychological thing? After all, the girl succumbed to death feedback after killing Kiroumaru. It's not a matter of what the others are in reality, it's a matter of how you perceive them.

But regarding Satoru, I think you're overanalysing it, Spirai. It's a plot hole, if you will. Satoru looked at it in his free time after the war. End of story.

Let me refine this.

There's a critical period (period where you're imprinted).
You have the genes to be fixed or affixated to whatever species you were raised with (as in you perceive yourself to be that species).

At age X, the girl got affixed to the queerats.
So its a combination of difference in genotypes, shown phenotype and the imprinting with the perceived fault of causing said harm to said species (actively observing). (as mentioned in earlier episodes about suggestions and Saki's "if she was raised in the village, all would be fine")

3:00-3:03 in episode, Satoru footsteps (he's not observing).
NequamMar 23, 2013 5:44 PM
Mar 23, 2013 5:34 PM

Oct 2011
in the end 8/10 - great series but bit too depressing for my taste. For sure will be buying novel if it will be translated, it might be great piece of writing I think.

So in the end it turned out that fiend, queerats and tainted cats (btw those at the end were adorable) are nice beings compared to ordinary humans.
Good I didn't eat anything around Squealer's punishment as this was really sick part.
Mar 23, 2013 5:40 PM

Aug 2012
Fantastic ending, this series really delivered beautifully with its creativity, social mindfulness, wonderful OST, entrancing setting, and great writing. A-1 really lucked out by getting to adapt such a great story.
Mar 23, 2013 5:50 PM
Aug 2008
Now that I think about it, there's still one big plothole.

If scientists (with PK genes) had the ability to implement genes that inhibit one's gland upon the killing of one's imprinted species and the ability to morph humans into moles, why didn't they just remove PK genes from all subsequent generations?

To think they could insert inhibition genes for every single PK user that copulates, even with a population of 2% or 100,000...

Then again, if only a subset of that population lived (err 60,000) now but 300 descendants earlier, it wouldn't be that hard to do, thus having the copies inherited in each generation.

Although PK appearances are rare, as seen with the killings of the children who didn't have PK powers...

Then again, isn't PK inherited? A Maria X Mamoru cross yielded 100% PK rate, so with such advanced gene tech, they could've..

But PK develops with age.. 10 and onwards..

That would mean PK is inherited, but its expression is random.

Nevertheless, with such advanced tech, they could of technically removed themselves as the PK generation.

But that would still cause random appearances of PK users without inhibition, which is dangerous.

If a PK mutation took over 300,000 years until the modern world 2,000 to appear..

It still doesn't explain how 1 user of PK discovered turns into 300,000 users. I mean, if the population was 1,000 and they reproduced together, sure.

So I guess it boils down to, how did the rate of PK appearances went from 1 in 300,000 years to exponential in less than 100 years.

The rate of acceleration of weird species is due to the leaking of PK aura...

So does having 1 PK user exist accelerate the rate of mutations in other humans inheriting PK?

Although ancient civilization was ignorant of PK users..

If the population of PK users was low, they could of wiped them out quickly before it became an evolutionary pressure to accelerate the PK's abilities and avoid PK aura leaking, causing a huge spike in PK users.
NequamMar 23, 2013 6:09 PM
Mar 23, 2013 5:51 PM
Jul 2011
wait then why didn't the fiend experience death feedback when she destroyed kiromarus entire army?
Mar 23, 2013 5:53 PM
Aug 2008
KanPaTo said:
wait then why didn't the fiend experience death feedback when she destroyed kiromarus entire army?

The girl disarmed the entire army.

However, if she were to observe the army being killed, it would initiate some of the feedback mechanisms. But she did not directly kill them, rather the queerats killed eachother.
Mar 23, 2013 5:57 PM

Feb 2008
Ncrdrg said:
symbv said:
ghostphace said:
Did they ever explain what happened to Maria and Mamoru? We know they lived long enough to conceive a child. Since that child believed that she was a queerat, we know that she never had contact with her parents, Saki deduces this herself in the beginning of the episode. If that's the case, then we can assume that Squealer killed Maria and Mamoru soon after the baby was born to raise it as his own.
Maria and Mamoru's fate is never explained so it is left to you imagination what they went through. Indeed one terrifying speculation is whether they might have been drugged by the squeerats and then compromised so that Maria got pregnant... Or they could have perished by some natural reasons or accident. It is hard to tell. One thing is clear is that they were indeed dead when Squealer returned the bones to the village.

It was actually explained pretty well. Although we don't know how Squealer killed them, it's 100% sure that's what he did. Do you remember Squealer telling Saki they could provide them shelter and make fake human skeletons by using bones of several queerats to make it look like they were human remains? But then he added that 'it would require some time to prepare'. So Saki and Satoru left them in their care, and the implications of his words and his huge lie didn't click in Saki's head until later in the story. The bones were 'found' or 'prepared' around a year after that. Then came the 2nd time skip.

I don't remember them ever saying when the bones returned to the village. Was it said in the books? For me that's the missing piece to this puzzle.
Mar 23, 2013 6:05 PM

May 2012
wait so what happened to the fiend?
Mar 23, 2013 6:07 PM

Feb 2012
10/10 no questions asked.
This Anime is brilliant. The ending blew my mind with that revelation about the queer rats, and the realism to the 'end' of the conflict balanced out any bias i had with a preferred ending. I like how even though Squealer was the enemy throughout that entire war, he was not a complete bad guy in the end. I sympathized with him because of how his ancestry was basically created. He did deserve some form of retribution for what the Cantus users did to him and his ancestors (which was a great plot twist because i was curious as to what happened to those who did not have Cantus at the time of its discovery).
And on the other hand, our main characters did not completely stray to one side. Saki understood the unfairness and tried to keep herself from doing the same mistakes.
Also those tainted cats were REALLY cute.
Plus their marriage- yay.

All in all, this Anime was a great roller coaster ride.
VyudaliMar 23, 2013 6:11 PM
Mar 23, 2013 6:08 PM

Feb 2012
athetosis said:
wait so what happened to the fiend?
It died due to death feedback. I'm assuming they just buried the corpse somewhere.
Mar 23, 2013 6:09 PM

Jun 2010
10 / 10 Amazing. I also believe there is no happy ending but a way for Saki and Satoru to move forward. Kiromaru was an awesome character and to find out that the Queer rats had human genes was a really twist. It Makes sense about what happen to the humans who did not have Cantus. I loved this anime plot, ending song Wareta Ringo is awesome and will miss watching this. Saki was a great character
Mar 23, 2013 6:14 PM

Nov 2012
llefvoid said:
Humanity learned nothing. The status quo returned. Yakomaru, hero of the revolution, was taught the fate that awaits those who defy the gods. And Saki "hopes" her child will live in a better world. Laughable.

Humanity, as a whole, did not learn much. Such as the council and the masses, they were laughing at Squealer and prepared to annihilate all queer rats. However, Saki- like all parents who are about to have a child, or any living being who thinks of having a child- will want their child to live in a better world. That's not laughable, that's normal.
llefvoid said:

Let's go through this by bits, starting at the end. The queerats were human. So what? All of a sudden we've got all these people (a couple in the anime, a lot here in the forum) in shock that they were human. What difference does it matter? Is it ok to enslave sentient and intelligent creatures as long as they are not human, subjecting their lives and deaths to a whim of your humor? And then do a couple of lines about genetics change any of the previous facts? Boy, no wonder it took so long for black people to have their rights recognised.

The fact that the queer rats were human was surprising in the sense that they didn't look like humans. A part of the mystery of the anime was figuring out what exactly the queer rats were. We knew, halfway through or so, that they were humans, or at the very least, a branched section of Homo Sapiens. However, how did they come to look like that? How did this whole hierarchy of queer rats and humans start? Are they really humans? If so, why is the society treating them like that? Does the society know? Does the council know? Why wouldn't there be any information on that? That's what the viewers were thinking (well, most of them). Not, "Omg ew! They're HUMAN? I feel SO bad!".

As for enslaving, it's not okay to enslave anything. Even if the being isn't intelligent or sentient, it should be illogical and against all morals to treat living beings as things below us or for entertainment. But that's the real world isn't it? We see animals locked in zoos (even those with self-made habitats span out for a few meters or so), we hear the opinion of children disregarded by adults, we know how it feels to be looked down upon. And thus, we struggle for power. To be greater, wiser, prettier, healthier, smarter. We're always struggling, it's always for power and recognition, and having our senses constantly Sensurround by this unspoken treatment against other living beings causes most of us to take it as a norm. Beings form connections through trust. It's easier to trust an environment you've grown up in. It's easier to trust those who look like you (which is why, for example, Alexander the Great adopted the dress of those whom he conquered so they'd feel less wary of him in his foreign attire). It's all in our psychology. And though we may be aware and rebel against that, it'll take a lot of time to change our way of thinking and perceiving.

llefvoid said:

(Surprising how no one has pointed out yet how ridiculous is the implication that the PK users of the past did genetic modifications to pretty much everyone who was not one of them to create the queerats. That's some industrial scale genetics going on there.)

I think they killed a lot of the non-PK users, then modified the genetics of the ones they had left (perhaps by modifying the genetics in the DNA so the children came out different and then killing the parents?).

llefvoid said:

So, we've got these enslaved people, who must subject both to the arbitrarities of both the humans and their queens. They find a hope in Yakomaru, a leader who helps to depose the queens and is now looking to liberate them from the humans. They wage war and fail, narrowly escaping absolute extermination. All in all, today was a sad day for those who believe in freedom and equal rights. It should be noted that even the "loyal" Kiroumaru had previously tried to find the psychobuster. Have no doubt, had he found it, it would have been him to lead the revolution. But what did the humans learn from this? Nothing. They just laugh at the queerat pretensions from the height of their stands, now that they won and have nothing to fear. They see nothing wrong with the previous status quo and are keen to return to it. Kind of reminds me of the German Peasant's War and how the aristocracy solved it by butchering the peasants.

Yep, goes to show that the masses are usually not informed and that huge crowds often feed upon whatever that united them, causing overall ignorance and stupidity to prevail (sometimes). But that's the reality of it all, isn't it? Just because the masses and the council don't know, doesn't mean they won't ever. And just because they don't now, doesn't mean no one else does.

llefvoid said:

And lastly a few words for the humans, in particular Saki. First she didn't want to kill the girl because she was not sure she was a fiend. Then she busted Satoru's chance of killing her because she didn't want him to go down. And when she finally concludes that she really isn't a fiend she is totally ok with killing her at the expense of Kiroumaru. Oh, that heartache seeing her dying, repeating to yourself you didn't kill her! No more than any of the education board killed any of those children with the tainted cats, that's for sure. So, they win and return to the village with Yakomaru prisoner. From Satoru's talk with him we can understand that this whole rebellion thing went over his head. WHY WOULD THE RATS REBEL AGAINST THE GODS!? As for Saki's legendary strength, she couldn't even stand behind the reasons she had to put an end to Yakomaru's suffering. No, she went on to lead the village with her reasons buried in lies, what a leader she'll be. And then the whole "hoping" that her child will live in a better world. How exactly will that happen? She's the leader. She did nothing to rehabilitate the rats' image. She did nothing to make the others see how wrong they had been. She just hopes. Wishful thinking won't get you anywhere, kid! Honestly, why did Tomiko choose her as her successor? I feel it was less due to her "strength" and much more due to her complete inability to challenge the established rules, despite being fully aware that they were bad.

When Saki was supposing the girl wasn't a fiend, she still thought there was a chance to perhaps make the girl realize she was human. They tried with the mirror thing, didn't work out. Seeing the time limit they had, the danger they were in, and how it would be inevitable at that rate to risk life in order to kill her, they decided then to kill her. Then Saki unconsciously stopped the attack because her mind went haywire at the possibility of losing Satoru. Then, at the end, after discussing out another plan (by this point Kiromaru probably realized he'd have to be the one to die, and he was prepared from the start, as he said), they decided to carry out the plan which would probably be the only one with a 90% success rate: activating the death feedback. Finally, in order to suppress her death feedback (there are rules to the death feedback, by the way), she repeats she didn't kill her. However, we all know she did, just like the school with the tainted cats. You're right about that. But she wanted to and felt as if she needed to live. Overall, anyone at their last moments, close to death, would try anything to live.

As for Satoru, what he didn't understand was why the rats didn't try some other form of rebellion. At least, that's what I think. I want to believe that he worded what he felt incorrectly because of the sheer anger he felt of what happened as a whole and why.

And Saki didn't explain her real reasons to the council because then there would be little chance she'd become head of the Ethics Council then. Just like Squealer, she's embraced those lies you have to tell to 'do the better good for all'. While I can't say I agree with what she did and I certainly do understand where you're coming from, it all comes down to this: Would you stick by your beliefs, preaching your morality, calling out the wrong and revealing what is right to a group of people- most of whom are just sheep (like Tomiko-san said) who can't and won't understand what you just said OR would you wait it out, keep your real thoughts hidden, gain steady ground, and then slowly begin to reveal the truth among the general public? Yes, the second option is tainted with lies. But you can never be truly wholesome or purely moralistic about these sort of things. It's like trying to explain death to five year old kids. It's a true concept but you have to take your time.

As for Saki, she is doing what she can. She asked the council to approve a list of colonies of queer rats that wouldn't be destroyed. She also made a list of villages that they should connect and communicate with. And by writing her story, she's slowly starting to attempt to change the view the humans have about the queer rats- the other humans. Wishful thinking, in itself, isn't bad. Saki's doing what she can- though we didn't see all of it. And hope is a concept that will always repeat itself. It's probably the one thing living beings put faith in unanimously.
Mar 23, 2013 6:21 PM

Feb 2009
Fine example of survival of the fittest. This is the reason why I believe that men will kill anything more intelligent than they are so they can always be number one.
Mar 23, 2013 6:23 PM

Oct 2012
Squealer had some good lines in this episode. When he siad "My name is Squealer" and "we are human". Powerful lines, he kept his pride till the end even when he was stripped and ridiculed in front of that council room who seem to have learned nothing after 1 pk user killed so many of them.
Mar 23, 2013 6:23 PM
Mar 2013
Nequam said:

You have humans killing PK users after studying them because they realize the threat to society.

1,000 years later, these humans realize that gene insertion was necessary to prevent the auto-destruction of its society.

If any of them are even remotely threatened by a human without Cantus, it would spell trouble for them. They would be immune to Cantus users and could hurt them with any weapon or tool for all they like, they'd be equivalent to a fiend, but more rational. Anyhow, even if they were to survive, they would be rejects of the society because the majority of the village are PK users.

But, but...I thought death feedback was an effect of gene manipulation they made in their own population. So even if there is a child without Cantus, there is still a death feedback gene...

And about who is right and who is wrong in the queerats vs humans war. I can't tell, because it all started from killing Cantus users, then Cantus users killed human apperance in non Cantus users, then queerats killed Cantus users by changing Cantus user into a queerat, then Cantus useres dispose of the threat (non Cantus useres - not all of them!)...I don't think Saki and Satoru could stop this wheel of madness because this madness is inherent part in human nature. I wish Saki could stop it. In the real life, there is small chance she could, but it's fantasy after all.

After all I said here (sorry for my English) I would like to explain why I can see this ending bitter-sweet like. It's just because the whole story is showed from Saki's point of view. I can identify with her. I'm happy she survied. The bitter part is about question who is the real monster in this anime...

Uhh, I hope someone will understand what I wanted to say ;)
Mar 23, 2013 6:30 PM
Aug 2008

In TL;DR terms for the time-pressed reader (Spirai):

Yes, humanity learned nothing such as the masses/council remaining ignorant.
Hoping that a child lives in a better world, is by parental nature, innate and not laughable.

We knew that queer rats were humans, but the mystery was in figuring out what they were, why they
were treated that way, and what does everyone know, and why they are hiding it.

It's not A-OK to enslave. We have zoos and such. We always want power to influence other people.

We are humanist and we trust those who most resemble us, over what looks least like us. It's a
bias that takes time for us to get over with.

They modified the genetics of the few remaining non-PK users.

I agree, the masses are generally stupid, but it's reality. However, just because they don't know
doesn't mean they won't ever know. People will learn the truth with time.

Saki tried everything she could, at the last moments she realized the most rational plan given
that time was running out. And since that choice had the highest success rate, she followed through it.

She felt like she wanted to live, anyone who tried to suicide (most people who jump off the bridge
and survive) regret it at the last moment.

Satoru didn't understand why the rats didn't try an alternative method rather than killing humans, but in
the fit of rage he said that.

Saki can't explain to the ignorant masses that easily, or she would lose her credibility.
Like Tomoko-chan said, she has to do it slowly overtime and reveal the truth overtime.
Lies must be handed out at the end of the day, for the sake of the good.

Saki is doing the best she can by approving villages that they can connect, saving the remaining
colonies and hope is a concept that is to be cherished and repeated.
Mar 23, 2013 6:32 PM

Nov 2012
Nequam said:

In TL;DR terms for the time-pressed reader (Spirai):

Yes, humanity learned nothing such as the masses/council remaining ignorant.
Hoping that a child lives in a better world, is by parental nature, innate and not laughable.

We knew that queer rats were humans, but the mystery was in figuring out what they were, why they
were treated that way, and what does everyone know, and why they are hiding it.

It's not A-OK to enslave. We have zoos and such. We always want power to influence other people.

We are humanist and we trust those who most resemble us, over what looks least like us. It's a
bias that takes time for us to get over with.

They modified the genetics of the few remaining non-PK users.

I agree, the masses are generally stupid, but it's reality. However, just because they don't know
doesn't mean they won't ever know. People will learn the truth with time.

Saki tried everything she could, at the last moments she realized the most rational plan given
that time was running out. And since that choice had the highest success rate, she followed through it.

She felt like she wanted to live, anyone who tried to suicide (most people who jump off the bridge
and survive) regret it at the last moment.

Satoru didn't understand why the rats tried an alternative method rather than killing humans, but in
the fit of rage he said that.

Saki can't explain to the ignorant masses that easily, or she would lose her credibility.
Like Tomoko-chan said, she has to do it slowly overtime and reveal the truth overtime.
Lies must be handed out at the end of the day, for the sake of the good.

Saki is doing the best she can by approving villages that they can connect, saving the remaining
colonies and hope is a concept that is to be cherished and repeated.

Thank you! =) But man do I need to learn to be more concise :P
Mar 23, 2013 6:38 PM
Aug 2008
zulli2 said:
Nequam said:

But, but...I thought death feedback was an effect of gene manipulation they made in their own population. So even if there is a child without Cantus, there is still a death feedback gene...

And about who is right and who is wrong in the queerats vs humans war. I can't tell, because it all started from killing Cantus users, then Cantus users killed human apperance in non Cantus users, then queerats killed Cantus users by changing Cantus user into a queerat, then Cantus useres dispose of the threat (non Cantus useres - not all of them!)...I don't think Saki and Satoru could stop this wheel of madness because this madness is inherent part in human nature. I wish Saki could stop it. In the real life, there is small chance she could, but it's fantasy after all.

After all I said here (sorry for my English) I would like to explain why I can see this ending bitter-sweet like. It's just because the whole story is showed from Saki's point of view. I can identify with her. I'm happy she survied. The bitter part is about question who is the real monster in this anime...

There are three conditions
(a) The genotype difference must not be sufficiently difference
(b) The phenotype difference must be relatively minimal
(c) The user using PK only undergoes the symptoms of PK of when the person perceives themselves to be killing a member of its own species or harming it in any way (relative to the imprinting/critical period of believing they're species X) AND harming it via the method of PK

Although that presents a loophole
(d) PK users use bombs to kill other PKs, or guns while the girl isn't looking

So
(c) can't include AND harming it via the method of PK, since just seeing from Saki, we can tell she's feeling it. Same with Satoru in the past

So this leaves us with
(e) Non-PK users (not expressing PK genes, although having them) are rejects, and are not allowed to live in society
Mar 23, 2013 6:40 PM
Aug 2008
zulli2 said:
Nequam said:

Oh and it started from
Cantus killing non-Cantus (Mr. Fiend)
Non-Cantus killing Cantus
Cantus getting evolutionary more fit
Cantus killing non-Cantus

Now that I think about it, there's still one big plothole.

If scientists (with PK genes) had the ability to implement genes that inhibit one's gland upon the killing of one's imprinted species and the ability to morph humans into moles, why didn't they just remove PK genes from all subsequent generations?

To think they could insert inhibition genes for every single PK user that copulates, even with a population of 2% or 100,000...

Then again, if only a subset of that population lived (err 60,000) now but 300 descendants earlier, it wouldn't be that hard to do, thus having the copies inherited in each generation.

Although PK appearances are rare, as seen with the killings of the children who didn't have PK powers...

Then again, isn't PK inherited? A Maria X Mamoru cross yielded 100% PK rate, so with such advanced gene tech, they could've..

But PK develops with age.. 10 and onwards..

That would mean PK is inherited, but its expression is random.

Nevertheless, with such advanced tech, they could of technically removed themselves as the PK generation.

But that would still cause random appearances of PK users without inhibition, which is dangerous.

If a PK mutation took over 300,000 years until the modern world 2,000 to appear..

It still doesn't explain how 1 user of PK discovered turns into 300,000 users. I mean, if the population was 1,000 and they reproduced together, sure.

So I guess it boils down to, how did the rate of PK appearances went from 1 in 300,000 years to exponential in less than 100 years.

The rate of acceleration of weird species is due to the leaking of PK aura...

So does having 1 PK user exist accelerate the rate of mutations in other humans inheriting PK?

Although ancient civilization was ignorant of PK users..

If the population of PK users was low, they could of wiped them out quickly before it became an evolutionary pressure to accelerate the PK's abilities and avoid PK aura leaking, causing a huge spike in PK users.
Mar 23, 2013 6:40 PM

Aug 2009
10/10. Thanks for the great series.

But honestly, their ancestors were so blinded with pride they had to do that to those without PK. They could have just inserted attack inhibition and death feedback to them as well instead of changing them into beasts. That was just so evil...

However, one question of mine that I'm still unaware of the answer is that why do they kill people who do not have Cantus or people who could not control their Cantus well? Is it to prevent a Karma Demon?
Mar 23, 2013 6:49 PM
Aug 2008
VerneJules said:

But honestly, their ancestors were so blinded with pride they had to do that to those without PK. They could have just inserted attack inhibition and death feedback to them as well instead of changing them into beasts. That was just so evil...

However, one question of mine that I'm still unaware of the answer is that why do they kill people who do not have Cantus or people who could not control their Cantus well? Is it to prevent a Karma Demon?

People who do not have cantus must have cantus genes, but can't express them, however this subset of the population must of inherited the death feedback genes, and we saw that independent of using PK's powers, this mechanism still operates.

Those who can't control their cantus are people who leak too much aura. They are already Karma Demons or in the progress of being one. Those who are weak-hearted are correlated with producing children that are Karma Demons.

Those who do not have cantus, er-- the only possible explanation is that they're outcasts of society.
Mar 23, 2013 6:51 PM
Jan 2013
Truly an an amazing show ill definitely buy the books if it comes in English
Mar 23, 2013 7:01 PM

Sep 2012
Ncrdrg said:
It was actually explained pretty well. Although we don't know how Squealer killed them, it's 100% sure that's what he did. Do you remember Squealer telling Saki they could provide them shelter and make fake human skeletons by using bones of several queerats to make it look like they were human remains? But then he added that 'it would require some time to prepare'. So Saki and Satoru left them in their care, and the implications of his words and his huge lie didn't click in Saki's head until later in the story. The bones were 'found' or 'prepared' around a year after that. Then came the 2nd time skip.

When they had this meeting over what happened to the Giant Hornet colony, they proposed the hypothesis that it was a fiend that crushed their armies. So then, the next question was, where did it come from? Saki, I think, raised the possibility, could it be Maria and Mamoru, maybe they really did survive after all?! And the next words that came out of the female leader (I forget her name) crushed her. She said it was impossible because they matched the bones of both skeletons using DNA to determine without a shred of doubt it was Maria and Mamoru. It's only at that point that she realized the implications of the lie Yakomaru told her 12 years earlier. Yakomaru told her he would need some time to prepare fake skeletons. What he was actually doing is waiting for them to conceive a child so he could murder them. How he killed them is left to the imagination (sleep, weakened by pregnancy, surprise attack, w/e). But it was clearly implied that Yakomaru had planned to use Saki's desire to protect them to his advantage back then. So while Saki lied about them being dead so they could live peaceful lives outside the village, Yakomaru was only using them to get his hands on a human child he could manipulate/brainwash from childhood. The parents had to be killed so the village would never come looking for them.
I remember everything you said above, and I agree with you that it is quite a good guess, but on the other hand, as much as we think there is a certain likelihood that Squealer murdered them, we could only go as far as some circumstantial evidence. My point is that you cannot conclusively prove Yakomaru is the murderer of Maria and Mamoru with those circumstantial evidence. It is still possible that they died from other causes, illness, accident, other animals, other queerats etc.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 23, 2013 7:04 PM

Sep 2012
Morridine said:
This show left me with a feeling beyond words. It was a deeply thought through novel, the author expressed some existential questions through a probably best chosen kind of story. But above all the existential, ethical and philosophical take, the story has a highly original, rich setting, a true new world that is both futuristic and archaic, beautiful and scary. I just can't possibly praise this concept more, and i say concept since i'm talking about everything related to shinsekai yori.

I'm just HAPPY that i lived to see this.

Just want to say that this novel winning the TOP SCIENCE FICTION AWARD in Japan in 2008 (Nihon SF Taisho http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon_SF_Taisho_Award ) is NO FLUKE. It really deserves it.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 23, 2013 7:05 PM
Mar 2013
Nequam said:
VerneJules said:

People who do not have cantus must have cantus genes, but can't express them, however this subset
of the population must of inherited the death feedback genes, and we saw that independent of using PK's powers, this mechanism still operates.

Those who can't control their cantus are people who leak too much aura. They are already Karma Demons or in the progress of being one. Those who are weak-hearted are correlated with producing children that are Karma Demons.

Those who do not have cantus, er-- the only possible explanation is that they're outcasts of society.

That's less than not enough to kill kids.
Mar 23, 2013 7:09 PM
Aug 2007
See, now that is how you do a final episode.

Kiromaru's sacrifice was amazing, didn't see it coming tbh. Such a great character. Loyalty at its best.

Squealer saying that they are also humans made a real impact... it was like a species desperatly screaming out for equality. It had vibes of the blacks slave trade...

And then finding out that the queerats were actually humans was another great reveal. And the explanation made sense. In the end, you couldn't tell who were the good guys and who were the bad guys.

Overall, an amazing anime, one of the best second halves I've ever seen. 9/10 only because of the few slow episodes near the start.
Mar 23, 2013 7:10 PM

Jul 2009
10/10 and a spot among my favorites. Definitely gonna buy this when Sentai releases it.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Mar 23, 2013 7:12 PM
Aug 2008
zulli2 said:
Nequam said:
VerneJules said:

People who do not have cantus must have cantus genes, but can't express them, however this subset
of the population must of inherited the death feedback genes, and we saw that independent of using PK's powers, this mechanism still operates.

That's less than not enough to kill kids.

But I don't recall the kids ever not having Cantus, just that they were filtered. (Saki being the last one from the academy)

Just that they were simply too "unstable" in handling their Cantus, or showing conditions leading to such a possibility. I think the inheritability hypothesis still stands (Maria x Mamoru) and the genes are activated at a 100% success rate. I haven't seen any evidence of non-cantus kids being born from cantus parents in a post-ancient civilization society, other than the separate lineage of non-cantus humans being warped into moles.
Mar 23, 2013 7:14 PM

Sep 2012
AnimageNeby said:

**,549 - Shinsekai Yori (Fall, 9 vols) DVD (0%) / 549 BD (100%)

Does that mean it's only the manga?

In that case, the manga deserved it; it was completely inferior to the anime, more yuri than anything else. but as we all know, the anime was NOT based on the manga, but on the novel, and did a far, far better job at it.
Perhaps you are just asking a rhetorical question but that is for the BD/DVD unfortunately. To be honest, I love the manga as it is, but then I am a yuri fan LOL. Since I do not expect it to follow the novel, I just treat it as a technically well-accomplished (meaning the characters etc are drawn very well) take on an alternative look at SSY's world and its characters. And I plan to buy the manga ;-) At the end, buying the novel or buying the manga still count as supporting the anime, and a cheaper way too, because they are all statistics Kodansha (the publisher of the novel which initiated the anime project) would look at to gauge the success of the anime.

Mar 23, 2013 7:24 PM

Jan 2010
This is one splendid plot and story...I regret nothing..
BTW..squeerle is a human?!...0,o I never thought it that way.

Mar 23, 2013 7:24 PM

Jan 2011
Most underrated anime this year. Great freaking story I loved the suspenseful parts.
[center]
Pages (27) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.