Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (27) « First ... « 24 25 [26] 27 »
Oct 22, 2018 4:06 AM

Nov 2017
This series tackled some interesting concepts about racial discrimination and how far one can go to justify their actions as well as the formation of a society and how it can change while still retaining some elements from the ones before it, the perception of a human being is limited due to the society he was raised in therefore what the majority of the society thinks to be inherently good or bad will be what the individual thinks as well, once an individual is exposed to a foreign society he will form his own interpretation of what is good or bad, chances are if two people are raised in the same place they will more or less have the same interpretation and they will be able to see the flaws in their society.

For a story of such a grand scale it really should have been a little bit longer for it to properly communicate those themes since it tries to tackle a lot, the pacing itself was uneven at some places but fine overall, it reminded me of Legend of the Galactic Heroes where the history of the world is slowly shown to us and once we know how everything ties together it resolves all that it was trying to say, LoGH is quite long and the story isn't needlessly stretched out either, it was given a sufficient run time to properly conclude everything it had to say, for this anime they could've added a lot more to the story and made sure everything added is meaningful therefore either increasing the runtime of each episode or the number of episodes would've been an easier solution. This way everything it tried to say could've been a lot more nuanced which unfortunately is not the case.

The character designs were pretty boring on top of that and if they wanted to favor movement over details then they should have given the designs more unique distinguishable features that were easier to draw which many anime do if they don't have the budget, the characters weren't bad I liked their growth but their personalities weren't all that unique and while they aren't the worst cast ever made they are nothing great either.

For me the last 6 episodes felt somewhat rushed and they could've left a bigger impact if given more time the ending however makes up for that and resolves everything in a way that is somewhat satisfactory yet the build up was so terrible that the whole show fails to have as much of an impact as it could've had, all I see in this story is a very well thought out world with some interesting visuals here and there that could've been executed a lot better. 6/10
RapidShadowOct 23, 2018 8:07 AM
Nov 10, 2018 6:57 AM

Oct 2012
Squealer woke as fuck tbh, Squealer was the hero of the series.

I thought the ending was really dark, this show has the classic sci fi premise of like rich/beautiful/special people living luxurious lives in a segregated area while the poor/ugly/natural people are forced to live in squalor/slavery and living in caves and shit but the oppressors win in the end. How brutal, poor queerats.

Fucking awesome show and ending
Dec 21, 2018 7:15 PM

May 2013
Okay, what I don't get is why Yakomaru insisted he was named Squealer when he first got to the court-- meaning he threw away his human name... and then moments later, claimed that he's human too. I don't get it???? Lol xD If you wanna say you're human too, why do you detest the name Yakomaru? .-. Confused. Anyways. Moving on, haha.

Why was Satoru the only one blushing? SMH @ SAKI LOL. Oh well. I guess it's alright for a change hahaha xD

8/10 for this series. The plot was very well thought out and executed, it was unique, there were thrills and feels all over (: Well done. It deserves the good rating that it has ^^ best boi still Shun <3 but I'm not mad about SatoruXSaki. He's been good to her too ^-^ as long as our bby guh is in good hands, no complaints :D

I've never seen an anime with so many fucking timeskips either LOLOLOLLLLL
Kokoro_KotashimaDec 21, 2018 7:19 PM
Jan 15, 2019 11:00 AM
Jan 2019
i'am very happy with the ending this anime...lot of emotional happen but sadly i still couldn't understand why the emotional episode show in last 5 episode.. back in 10 episode at beginning this anime really get the point how to make people feel sad and emotional but as you know when we started feeling emotional with story of ancient civillation it just cut.. but still this is great anime 😗😂😂
Jan 26, 2019 6:58 PM
Sep 2018
This series is a reflection of humanity as an whole. I love how they never really made one character truly evil, and I have thought a lot about how we humans judge reality based on what can only be viewed from the outside. The PK humans truly judged Rat-humans on how they looked. Even though the R-humans (I will not call them Rat Monsters due to the dehumanisation of it.) portrayed empathy, fear, communication and a high intellect throughout the series. Even though that, the PK-humans still killed them pretty ruthlessly.

I remember feeling really unwell in the first episodes of the series on how group 5 (Saki, Satoru, Shun, Maria and Mamoru) treated the R-Humans and other living species around them. They showed a side of themselves where they used the animals as tools and found enjoyment in killing eggs. The even tortured and death threatened the library horse creature without much of empathy the creature.
Though you do realise that this sadistic side is not knowingly performed, the kids were somewhat blindfolded with what they believed what right and where unaware of the damage they created due to the adults showing the same kind of behaviour. It is really remarkable at the ending when Satoru tells Saki that the R- "monsters" are actually Genetically Modified Humans and how suddenly they become overwhelmed by guilt of brutally killing their own species.

The PK-society is driven by fear of their own telekinesis and of the R-humans. The R-society are afraid of the PK-Humans and even their own species like for example their queens or stronger R-humans. Everyone is so afraid of suffering and violence that they use what they are the most afraid of against others to protect themselves first. just like a shield. Although they don’t realise by actually inflicting the act of violence in the first place, will eventually be mirrored back at them.

The whole series is based on the fear of violence of being conquered by a stronger or scarier "human/species". Both PK-humans and R-humans kill their own "species" because they are afraid of themselves. A good example of this is how the PK-humans would kill their "unstable" children in the act of fear that one child would become the "orge". Though the fun fact is that there doesn't actually exist an "ogre", because everyone has the potential power of free will and can kill everyone around them if they felt like it even if they would die shortly after by the the Death of Shame.

The “ogre” is more of an fascinating concept of "ethical thinking". Basically doing what you believe is or just feels right individually. That is what basically creates an "ogre", but everyone has a different concept of right and wrong, and that concept can REALLY be blurry if you are not capable of emotion or empathy. Which draws a direct connection to our world where as we would call such a person a psychopath or maybe more suitable approach, a sociopath. The difference is that a psychopath and a sociopath is that a psychopath is born without the capability of feeling empathy/emotions. While at the other hand a sociopath is someone who is born normally with empathy and emotions, although their surroundings and environment is so toxic and harmful that the person eventually becomes unable to feel anything. And thus shares the exact same nature as a psychopath, except with the difference of background.

Although honestly you can argue if it really is the individual's fault for not being born with empathy/emotion, or being driven by society into a corner where they don’t have another choice than to shut down. And you wonder if the extensive killing is a form of a mechanism created by the individual to challenge the psyche. If you can’t feel emotions and is constantly surrounded by emptiness, the act of killing someone may trigger an sensation that could be compared to a strong emotion for the individual. I mean Maria and Mamoru’s child is an perfect example of such a person.

I love how this series shows that no one is truly only evil or only good. Everyone has a little bit of both, and depending on which you perspective you chose, you will soon realise that the line between good intention and evil intention becomes more and more blurred. The ending was spectacular at showing both sides of the story and how cruel humans can be to one at another.

I truthfully believe that Shinsekai Yori is just a reflection of our own world. We have in some senses done everything the humans did to each other. Just think of World War 2, the Nazi’s, North Korea or the slavery and discrimination of people of black people. (The PK-society reminds me a lot of North Korea in the way they are brainwashing and execute their own species who question the system. But they also remind me of the slavery of the industrial revolution in how the way they treat the R-humans. ) I can go on for ages making parallels between our own world and the series, but when it all comes down to it the biggest message in this anime series is: We have already done and are already doing what the world of Shinsekai Yori did for centuries.
Feb 26, 2019 5:36 PM

May 2017
Holy shit this anime was fucking amazing, didn't expect this at all and almost dropped it after the boring ass first 3 episodes, glad I haven't.

Man I never saw that twist coming that all the Queerats were the the original non Cantus Humans. Kinda makes sense tho, I always wondered in the back of mind where the hell all the normal humans were.

Cant believe im saying this but I do feel sorry for Squeler. He had the same justified reason like Kiroumaru, he just happend to find his weapon of mass destruction (Marias Kid) unlike Kiroumaru (His first Tokyo search) and could act sooner. Still glad hes dead tho for all his lying bullshit lol

Man I expexted 100% that Saki and Satou marry but I atleast hoped that they had a child together and name it Shun, rip
Apr 10, 2019 7:03 PM
Apr 2019
I don't think i liked this ending.
Having taken a day to reflect, i've decided it doesn't make sense.

Saki throws away her entire career - that would have eventually put her in a position of ruling society from which she could change it.

Instead, she settles down to have kids with Satoru. Even though she knows fine well what the life of a child in Kamisu is like.
She's lived through the mind control, the random executions, the memory wiping, the constant surveillance, the sheer horror and paranoia of that is not something you'd want to bring a child into.

There's no indication that the education committee's policies of controlling children and executing abnormals have changed, and with the destruction wreaked by an ogre, are likely to become even more authoritarian if anything.
With one careless act of mercy - and the even sillier refusal to lie about it afterwards, she's lost all power she had to drag her society out of the dark age its fallen into, and has apparently decided to raise children in this hell

I don't think her emotional actions near the end reflect her character well. Saki's strongest personality trait was supposed to be her ability to remain calm and stable under pressure, to make rational decisions when everyone else succumbs to their emotions.
Her actions aren't rational

None of the internal societal problems that season 1 was all about, have been resolved at the end. Kamisu is still a dystopia,
The whole second season felt like a tangent to deal with the rats, kamisu still has more than enough problems to deal with in a third season. But there isn't one, that's it. It feels like an unfinished story
Apr 27, 2019 11:03 AM

Sep 2014
And thus ends my first rewatch in 5 years. That I could remember most key moments shows how much impact this anime had.
Plot wise some questions popped up - Tomoko was 267 years old but the date was year 237. So the time reset when she was 30? Maybe she was 30 when the fiend K showed up? might fit, but I cant guess her age at all.
Also, death feedback. As seen by Saki burning Marias child it doesnt activate when you only hurt someone and you dont kill her directly. Why not just let the caves collapse on her to begin with? Why not just bury her alive like Shisei sort of did, if she suffocates thats not really your problem. But who cares.- I certainly dont.

Seeing Marias child suffer like that due to death feedback was cruel. Neither Maria nor her child deserved this. Also the flashback, why show her again, why? It always makes me incredibly sad.
Squealer standing next to their dead "messiah" looking completely broken was a powerfull scene as well. Other scenes would need long build ups and lots of added drama to be this impactfull.
And then the trial.
We are human!
As Saki and Satouru find out shortly after, he was right. This was strongly hinted at from the beginning, but after everything which happened its easy to forget these hints.

Because of this its also hard to completely hate Squealer for me, as Shinsekai Yori easily could have been the story of the cunning Squealer trying to free his people from opression. Just that this time we are the oppressors. I cant come around thinking about their situation and what I would have done. Also, were the scientists who created this kind of world right? In the end it was never clearly explained what cantus was or how it came into existence, as said earlier in the show, its a truly terrifying power. And we saw how the world was before they did something.
Satouru rational as always somehow manages to calm my and Sakis mind. "They arent humans after all. Do you consider them your kind?" Maybe this was also a hint about our society and how we abuse those without power today, its always easier to think of others as something lesser.

"I vow to subject him to agony no living being has ever suffered before." And she was right, one of the scariest punishments in anime.
Atleast this grim final ends on a somewhat happy note with Saki and Satouro living as a family about to get a child, hoping for a better future for it.

"The power of imagination is what changes everything."

I have to say it took me way longer than anticipated to finish this rewatch, it became more bingeable around the middle, even though I liked the beginng even more than I remembered.
The quality of animation isnt the best and the OST is also limited, though it always manages to fit the mood - eery, noctalgic and magical and the EDs made it on my playlist all those years ago.
But those were never the selling points of Shinsekai Yori. It was the story, the characters and the world. I consider it a truly unique setting of dystopia. Most either devolve into some scavenger societies or evolve into high tech sci fi societies. Shinsekai Yori is different. There arent some gangs fighting over control of the desert, there arent some megacorporations ruling the planet. I really like that.
Shinsekai Yori remains one of my favourite shows ever, I think Im even going to read the LNs at some point.

9/10

@NanakoAC Where was it ever stated that Saki lost her position? I think you took this final the completely wrong way, lol. In fact, it seems like you didnt understand the entire show. It was stated over and over again that Sakis "strength" wasnt to always remain calm, it was to recover and learn from it. The one with the rational decisions was always Satouru. Also you somehow managed to not understand the terror of cantus. How. You saw what a single fiend did. Of course they are scared as fuck. Tomoko explained it, its a weapon of mass destruction with unlimited energy.
Your utterly nonsensical comment completely ruined my mood after this great final. Good job.
Comander-07Apr 27, 2019 11:08 AM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 3, 2019 10:06 PM
Apr 2019
Comander-07 said:

@NanakoAC Where was it ever stated that Saki lost her position?

Right at the end, where she (as the narrator) remarked that she could have easily claimed a temporary emotional outburst and kept her position, but chose instead to be honest

She killed squeara not only as an act of mercy, but also an act of rebellion. A rather visceral form of two weeks notice, she had no intention of continuing her career after that point, and immediately retired to raise a family instead

Comander-07 said:
The one with the rational decisions was always Satouru.

Satoru was never rational, at all, in any sense of the word. He was a man of action and aggression
In normal life, he was an ordinary teenager, overly exciteable and emotional

In times of crisis, he became a hardened soldier, revelling in bloodlust and frequently forgetting the main goal in his pursuit of more killing. Satoru was a perfect and seemingly inevitable candidate to become an ogre. The fact that that never happened - and nor was there any major defining event to change his personality - is something i'd consider a flaw on the part of the writers

A significant part of the first season was spent on demonstrating this flaw in his personality, as he greedily gravitated towards slaughtering more and more of the rat people even when it wasn't necessary for survival or escape. His bloodlust at that point also helped to establish saki's character as an antithesis of that, trying to seek non violent ways to solve problems

Comander-07 said:

Also you somehow managed to not understand the terror of cantus. How. You saw what a single fiend did. Of course they are scared as fuck.

Sure, the violent reality of ogres and karmic demons helped establish reasoning - but not justification - for why the society of kamisu ended up the way it did. The barely-discriminate executions of children were presented as the only means to prevent such tragedies, but there was always an undercurrent of "we can do better" and the whole story heavily foreshadowed saki as a saviour who would find a better way

By the second season, she hasn't, and it seems has even given up on trying. Despite being the only one of three children to survive til adulthood, due to secret executions by the state, she has apparently decided that This is fine, and that its even a fine environment to have and raise her own children in. she has done nothing to change the horrible society she grew up in, and has tossed her career to the kerb - the primary tool she had for affecting change

She's stopped fighting and forgotten all the horrors of her youth, content to file them away in a memory hole and maybe hope that her own children aren't found to be abnormal

As saki the deluded idiot, and satoru the bloodthirsty future ogre settle down to have kids together, we're supposed to believe this is a happy ending. So many plot threads remain unfulfilled or unanswered. I can't buy it

After a first season of complex intrigue and espionage, the latter season ditched it all in favor of open warfare and pointless adventures, while forgetting the complex ethical questions that made it interesting to begin with
May 21, 2019 8:39 PM
Jan 2019
I can't say that I don't enjoy this series. I enjoy it, but I don't love it.

If only they spent more time on characterization and tried to answer a lot of unanswered questions, this series would have been a masterpiece.

The idea is very thought-provoking but it was dragged down by the lack of good characters and explanations. Not to mention inconsistent art quality and bad directing.

The EDs fit the theme very well and I love them. The OP, even though only used once, is also great.

In the end, the originality and atmosphere alone already makes this show very unique and worth watching. I'd need a lot of time to digest everything in this show.

7/10
Jun 10, 2019 8:21 PM
Sep 2017
I thought it was good. But what really got me was the ending. I'm glad we got a conclusion about the Monster Rats and how there's gonna be a new society and stuff, but what I like the most in this anime was the characters.
And the fact at the end when we don't get any conclusion on how Maria and Mamoru died? What happened to them? Why'd they have a kid? Why did Maria have a kid when she was in a relationship with Saki? (Maria said she hopes she'll see Saki again so I would assume that she would want to keep the relationship.) They was so much build up on how Saki loved Maria and she had flashbacks about her and then there's no conclusion to that. It's like "Oh ok, I love my childhood friend who've I've experienced so much with and loved her my whole life (Expect for the bit with Shun) and I miss her and have constant flashbacks about her and I don't want to kill her child, oh wait nevermind gotta go bang Satoru"
Like ????? I'm just salty because there was a good lesbian relationship in a non-yuri anime with all this buildup, and it all just vanishes near the end. Not to mention Shun and Satoru's relationship. I mean, what was the point of it? Did they just want the shock-factor of a gay relationship? And then cut it off 5 minutes later?
I know it's an anime that was made in 2013 and in Japan obviously where those kind of relationships are uncommon. I'm just really salty. Good anime though. Liked it a lot.

Edit: I know the anime is not focused on romance but at least have a relationships that actually go somewhere in the story? Shun and Satoru was for 5 minutes, Shun and Saki was a thing until he disappeared, and the relationship that lasted the longest (Saki having flashbacks about her girlfriend 12 years after she left), Saki and Maria, just vanished. There was no moment when Saki said "I should move on". It was one moment she was having flashbacks about Maria and the next moment she's having a kid with Satoru.
hanezeve23Jun 10, 2019 8:34 PM
Jul 23, 2019 2:45 PM

Oct 2016
That was a good anime.
After all of the messed up stuff that happened to the people in the show, I couldn't wait for Squealer to suffer, but I ended up somewhat sympathizing with him.
It should be known that the Monster Rats really aren't humans anymore. Satoru was right about that. I think it's a "Super Mutant" type of situation. Most of them are more monstrous than anything, and are shown to be not nearly as intelligent as humans, even though Squealer would have you believe otherwise. A lot of them definitely show human levels of intelligence, but the majority are more monster than anything. It makes sense that to some degree, they need to be kept in check by the humans. You wouldn't want to live in a town with Chimpanzees or Orangutans, right?
Now I do think the humans in this show's case were too cruel in general. They should have never created these monsters in the first place. The Monster Rats will definitely be genocided, but maybe it's for the best. I sympathize with Saki's decision to put Squealer out of his misery.
Overall, Shinsekai Yori was a good show.
EDIT:
Updated signature because Tinypic is shutting down.

PikslapJul 28, 2019 6:24 PM
Jul 28, 2019 12:55 AM

Apr 2015
(10 years and 2000 sexual intercourses later...)

Think: Lookism.

8/10
Aug 8, 2019 4:16 AM

Sep 2017
They gave the problem with sakis sister a good ep and mentioned her quite a few times just to never expand on it,shun was supposed to be such an important character but his death didn’t phase me because it almost seemed like he was “coming back” or that he was alive,i wish they could’ve made his death for impactful rather than a “he might be dead he might not be”

Well,it was a journey (even if i finished it in 2 days,it was still quite something). It started off really strong around ep 4 that I literally could not stop my self from wanting to watch another ep and its been a hot minute since ive felt that way but after ep 17 when the time lap happens it kinda went down imo. How did marias child get killed? Was i not paying attention? I don’t understand. Why did the queerat that looked like a lion have to sacrifice him self?
Either way the ending was still very good compared to average and especially since i thought it was gonna end sad,im happy they got married,that they are happy! I liked the museum part where they showed what it was like rather than trying to hide it like the past generations,hopefully if they are more open they will prevent such things from happening again.

A good 8/10,the ost wasnt that good nor was the animation at certain points i thought it was a gag but it was just the way it was animated-
The story though? 10/10,i wonder if this is how the novel ended up too otherwise id pick it up.

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Aug 15, 2019 10:41 PM

Aug 2018
The final twist was predictable, but it was a very enjoyable watch. 10/10
Sep 26, 2019 1:15 PM

May 2017
I definitely predicted the twist, but how Saki brings it up to Satoru, and begins to explain the meaning of the kanji used, was really cool. I really enjoyed the whole thing with Squealer attempting to argue that they're just as human. Very thought provoking.

Still confused about how Squealer gave Mamoru's and Maria's bones and teeth to the council to prove their deaths. Were they real teeth and bones? Because I would assume that the humans have advanced enough technology to figure out whether teeth truly do match records... or were they real bones that the monster rats had after the two died... but in that time, when was Maria impregnated? Just a confusing point.
Oct 3, 2019 1:08 AM

Apr 2017
Squealer did nothing wrong.
cunnysseur
Oct 5, 2019 11:53 PM
Aug 2018
i have just finished this series but am confused a part..
who was that lady appears from false minoshiro and shisei after his death
[url]https://myanimelist.net/profile/Okmaido[/url]
bakayarou konoyarou
Nov 10, 2019 11:29 AM

May 2019
I came with the theory that even MARIA helped Squealer to burn down that opressive society.

Maria was not killed, she sacrifice herself in order to let her daughter put an end in everything she and Mimoru thought was wrong in that society. She strongly pointed this in her final message in the anime.

Also, i realised that the rats were humans since the camping episodes. That was pretty much obvious after listen the history from the Library Creature, with the question open about what happened to the not psychic humans.

If that society was better built, they could deal with Ogres (psycho personality) with the help of the rat humans, without need to kill children for any minor reason. A lack of imagination that Saki could fix.

The number of children killed along the centuries was much worse than the random rare appear of ogres.
Nov 23, 2019 3:54 PM

Feb 2017
I watched Digibro's video right after the final episode, and I agree with everything he says, lol. I was going to give it a 1/10 anyway before seeing his thoughts, but now it feels so much more justified haha.

And I feel bad for anyone who projects themselves more onto the queerats than the humans in this show.
Dec 8, 2019 11:30 AM
May 2019
antonnn said:
Had quite high hopes for this show. Ended up being a solid 8/10 and very enjoyable though not reaching the heights I was hoping.
I’m really not sure what more you could have expected.
Dec 31, 2019 7:25 PM
Jan 2013
Tasel said:
Squealer did nothing wrong.

Squealer did (nearly) nothing wrong. As how i see it, he did some mistakes. But in the end i think that he has the least wrong beliefs.
Atleast he is better than that bitch, Tomiko
Dec 31, 2019 11:33 PM
Aug 2019
Just finished re-watching to comfort the loneliness of new year's eve and to refresh memories from 2013.

This anime is in my top 5 since 2013 and remain at it. Great anime till date.

Hope we can have some good anime like this in this year too.
LolitaryDec 31, 2019 11:44 PM
Jan 20, 2020 7:51 AM

May 2016
This was really good but it pissed me off so much about the whole romance thing. They gave Maria to that fucking loser Mamoru instead? I hated Mamoru from the beginning of the show and he even steals the girl from Saki which pissed me off even more. I give it a 8 but would be a 9 if not for that bullshit.
Feb 11, 2020 7:56 AM

Aug 2016
I liked this ending all things considered, but I expected to like this show a whole lot more than I did overall.
Feb 17, 2020 4:39 AM

Dec 2018
They actually don't have to sacrifice Kiroumaru. Just order him to charge swiftly at the fiend and kill it. Maybe Saki silently wants to clear the chance of a rebellion by queerat, as Kiroumaru has mentioned that he intended to rebel to human in the past.

Just as I expected the queerat is actually a human.

They didn't explain just what a Minoshiro is. I mean, so far they only show the False Minoshiro. Maybe there's nothing special about that animal, it's just that the human randomly choose Minoshiro as a model for the mobile library out of the blue.

Well they all have their own definiton of Human.

The mystery is why the scientist implant a Death Feedback in their own genes if they want to remain superior to the other tribes.

This whole massascre happened becuase of Tomiko's experiment to give people a freedom of thought, though it's not a full freedom, maybe if Tomiko give a full freedom of thought this wouldn't happen.

That ending with an echo of children laughing in a silent and empty corridor, gives a bad future vibe. But as the last quote said "The power of imagination is what changes everything.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Feb 24, 2020 6:57 PM

Sep 2017
Bravo. I don't know why I waited so long to watch this. Sensational.
Mar 8, 2020 7:32 PM
Apr 2019
the ending song was dope, I listen it everyday now

the ending of the show was quite excellent....

excellent plot, excellent animation..... my only problem was characters,,, otherwise I would have rated it 10.....

8.5/10 for me.
Apr 28, 2020 3:15 PM

Sep 2011
After finishing this slightly long journey of 25 episodes, I could see why this was rated pretty high. This is definitely a good show. While it's not exactly my preference, I would not hesitate to recommend this.

7/10.
May 5, 2020 9:13 AM

Aug 2019
A brilliant final episode with a bittersweet ending. Though the fight with the fiend was over pretty quickly, Kiroumaru's death with the slow-motion sequence was great. Saki and Satoru's conversation with Squealer and the courtroom scene were very powerful. Even though I'd wanted Squealer to die, seeing him being a just a lump of mass was horrible. Glad Saki decided to end his suffering. And the reveal about the Queerats being non-Cantus users was and especially the fact that the Cantus users deliberately made them into this is shocking and horrifying.

Loved that Saki and Satoru got married and their scenes after the timeskip. The flashbacks wth Saki's parents and the other Group One members was quite sad when you remember how much has been lost, but seeing them moving on was sweet and also with the quote at the end.

I absolutely loved this series. The story and world building were just so enthralling and intriguing. In the end, nobody was right or wrong. Everyone had their own reasons and motives for doing the horrible thing they did. It's a show that just makes you think so much. It was perfect at building the exact atmosphere needed to keep me at the edge of my seat everytime. The character designs are simple but I really like them. Yes, it had quite some problems, but it still remains one of the best I've seen.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
May 12, 2020 12:37 PM
Oct 2018
all the PKs unironically deserve it and they should have died, squealer was a true fucking hero.
he didnt do a single thing wrong, it is the right of anyone to fight and kill as many as their slave masters
May 15, 2020 2:19 PM
Jan 2018
Why Maria's daughter didn't die when she killed Kinoumaru's colony?
May 15, 2020 2:37 PM
Oct 2018
LHashDe said:
Why Maria's daughter didn't die when she killed Kinoumaru's colony?

she didnt because she only paralyzed them and took their weapons, the other monster rats killed them
Jun 10, 2020 12:08 PM
Apr 2012
darkj25 said:
After finishing this slightly long journey of 25 episodes, I could see why this was rated pretty high. This is definitely a good show. While it's not exactly my preference, I would not hesitate to recommend this.

7/10.

Pretty much agree with this.

This civilization still has several more problems to deal with. Also didn't like the pairing.

It's indeed a work of art, that I enjoyed enough. Just not my cup of tea.
Jun 15, 2020 6:42 AM

Jun 2019
Party positive ending. I was hoping to see a sad ending. But it was not bad at all. Saki and Sataru get end up together. I feel sorry Yaokimaru his motive is bit bad. He shows us the true nature of human. Starting of the anime was way stronger than the ending. But it was not bad at all.
Jun 15, 2020 6:55 AM

Jun 2019
Xaelath said:
It could be an awesome drama if they pushed it abit without dragging too much..

I dont have any comment about the animation the first few episodes 1-4 is quite amazing, it fells on 5 and return to normal again on 6.

I expect the kid was Maria, but it seems they make it the Fiend their Kids instead.
Theres some stuff i would question too, what exactly happen to w Maria and Mamoru when their bone discovered with the exact same DNA.
Shouldnt they live to make the baby first? or right after the "Search and Retrieve" they had sex . Later they were killed by the Squeerats and taken their baby.

Well i would say the best twist are Squeerats are Human, I thought kidnapped/missing children turned into one but i guess they just disposed/killed.
They basically inject the mammals dna and turning them(human) to weird or mutated monster.. Scientist did it right..? The people who doesnt had the Power.. they're turned into one.
Such fate, but its necessary to maintain peace... or is it?
In exchange of turning them into one, the one who had the power also given a "Death feedback" so none of them kill each other.

The terms of Fiend basically a human who doesnt think himself as one and his enemy, basically negating the death feedback effect, but it will also applied if the person think he/she killed one of his/her kin.
The real Fiend wouldnt think had that issue ( i think), thus making the fiend heselfr/himself could kill anyone without Death Feedback issue.

In the end no one is right and no one is wrong.

Finished it in 2 Days

I actually like Saki and Maria relationship, that also includes Saki and Shun relationship.
Sadly both killed too soon.. At least Maria get alots of development.
I was expecting Maria to be a fiend isntead of her kid, it would make alot of drama and question her friendship and choice.
Seems the story only applied to Japan country, theres alot of animation that also shows the school from different country but i guess thats not necessary.
The anime get darkers every episode isnt it..?

Also the Shin what person that could split the earth in to two is laughable..

So we saw in the end that Saki get her memory back. And she remember about Shun. But she didn't say a word to Sataru. So my point is will Sataru gonna remember almost Shin in future? Until unless Saki will bring this up.
Jun 22, 2020 12:31 PM
Mar 2019
after all, who is the monster? the squealer's motivations were understandable.
Great ending!
Jul 6, 2020 4:42 AM

Nov 2016
Damn people are really tugging this series ballsack it was just aight 6/10 plot-wise for me. 8.5/10 enjoyability wise tho a very interesting watch
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Jul 12, 2020 5:04 AM
Oct 2019
Squealer my man, you'll live on in history.... This anime was the worst still worth watching... I don't know why but my emotions toward this anime is just as complex as the story line of this anime.... I loved it as a psychological genre. Maybe, it deserve as one of the best psychological anime (just maybe).... The undisputed truth it has showed us is beyond telling... sayonara
Jul 22, 2020 4:49 PM

Mar 2014
So in the end it was really just about the queerats vs humans, when all I cared about was the mysteries of this society and Saki's group of friends and their fates etc. The show definitely went in the wrong direction imo.
Jul 22, 2020 4:51 PM

Mar 2014
Momono said:
Very nice, I would rate this 10/10 but -1 because of the controversial episodes (9/10)

You deducted a point because you're homophobic? Lmaooooooo
Jul 26, 2020 9:31 AM

Aug 2018
When I thought dropping the shows in half first episodes of the series, it just turned out to be masterpiece till the end. Excellent!
Aug 9, 2020 1:56 AM

Apr 2015
jesus. this anime was absolutely madness from the beginning to end. i picked this up without reading the horror label and...i really have no words to describe what I just watched. honestly, my heart is still racing and my head and heart hurts.

the beginning was really disorienting but i think the way the story was told really encapsulates the horrors and confusion of what it means to be human. i love all of the mains and my heart was so scared that satouru was going to be killed off lmao (he is the best)

watching this anime in a pandemic and our current world, i think a lot about the ending and the bigger meaning and how the creators decided to resolve the end. i think the message is in line to what humanity is really. squealer wasn't wrong, he was human. and the way they even mocked him in the trial says it all about how we (as humans) treat others to be subhumans, or who deserves to live etc...

it was hard to find the perfect ending no doubt, but i think in this situation the whole getting married and having a kid for the greater good of humanity or whatever was kinda cheesy, but, they needed some hope at the end and to slow down the momentum of the story, so im not too terribly upset. i kinda like the romance hehe.

i still think about the death of shun, the disposal of the children, and how squealer probably killed maria and mamouru which still grips me. definately an unforgettable anime.

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Aug 25, 2020 6:43 PM

Jun 2020
This has grown to become one of my all-time favorites. A dark, psychological thriller that really portrays the themes of gray morality. A fucking masterpiece in my opinion.
Oct 17, 2020 4:32 AM
Jul 2020
> Akki killed the Giant Hornets,
No, she only disarmed them, but I agree it's very confusing since because it's said they turned into lump of meat but not caused by bombs. My theory is that the squealer army killed the giant hornet first and the child turned the corpses into mush to erase any evidence, so the child didn't technically kill them and no death feedback,

> why humanity decided to make sentient libraries,
I agree, it's weird, maybe it's a better way to preserve books that are inside a biological robot that can evade attackers/canctus users?, I guess...
but I wonder why don't they hunt down these false minoshiros since they already know that knowledge is considered dangerous?

> why keep queerats alive and waste resources on managing them when you have loyal murdercats
Because queerats are cheap labors, and murdercats are murdercats, can't do manual work.
I think an interesting question would be... why didn't the ancestors kill all non-canctus human so that there are only canctus users remain on earth, it would be easier...

> how did the bones left have Maria and Mamoru's DNAs when there wasn't enough time for Maria to give birth before the bones were found
Yeah the timing is a bit difficult.
Squealer lied to the humans that they both fell off a cliff, so he had to wait until the snow thawed and dug their bones. But in order to kill Maria and steal her baby, Squealer had to wait for 9 months or so, too long. Another theory is that they extract the bones while they're still alive...

> how none of the village chiefs notice that Akki doesn't show fiend symptoms especially when they recently had Shun which they noticed immediately,
Because Shun is a karma demon and the child is just a normal child, she isn't even a fiend.
Karma demon isn't the same as fiend. What's bothering me is that the animators add some black fog surrounding her, maybe to add some mysterious aura.

> why nobody thought to take the fall and kill Akki while taking death-feedback instead of dying pointlessly,
Because of "attack inhibition"

> how a 10 year who's taught how to use cantus by rats that can't use it mop the floor with the strongest cantus user,
Because of "attack inhibition"
Oct 19, 2020 8:38 AM

Jul 2013
Contrary to what many people think, I think the characters here are well written for a very plot driven show. There really isn't much to grow when almost everybody is an established character since the beginning. They've been consistent all throughout and their development is explained when they do change.
Oct 20, 2020 9:13 PM

Apr 2020
Great series. I thoug I was going to deslike it judging by the events on the first episodes without any clear explanations, the death feedback shit, the cat, the rats and the fiend/karma demon, not much explanations at all, but everything got clear by the end.

The OST, despite of being short, it was very well used on the right moments, specially the girls's choir, very beautiful and yet mysterious.

9/10.
I neither agree nor disagree, on the contrary.
Nov 10, 2020 3:08 AM

Jul 2017
Despite losing its way towards the end for me, and the pacing of this episode, I felt that this was a pretty strong end towards resolving everything and even showing a little epilogue with Saki and Satoru married with a kid coming soon. They've sure been through a hell of a lot in their lives from when they were really young, but at least the hope they still have for society is still nice, to say the least.

6/10 overall for me. It had its moments where I wanted to give it a 5, and moments where I wanted to increase the score too but I feel this is just about right for my personal feelings. A fine show that could have been great with more consistency and better writing, especially character writing for some of the cast members here. Saki at least improved a lot and grew to be a good character by the end which is nice.
Nov 25, 2020 9:36 PM

Apr 2015
Just finished binging through the 25 episodes in three days and wow, this anime totally went in a different direction than I thought. I'm slightly annoyed at how readily Saki was wiling to sacrifice Kiroumaru when she selfishly destroyed the psychobuster cause she didn't want Satoru to die. It makes sense and it cements the idea of how selfish humans are, but still. The big reveal of queerats technically being humans was chilling, although I've always suspected it. I could empathize with Squealer, although of course his way of doing things wasn't morally right. But I'd say his actions were pretty justified and he's honestly the best character in this show for me.

Overall I'd say I liked it. It definitely had a slow start like many people say, but it really started to kick off at episode 12 for me when the backstory of fiends was explained. My main problems were in the characters and the limited use of cantus. I did not like any of the main characters, including Saki. She didn't have a very interesting personality and it felt like she didn't do much, considering how we were always following her POV. She rarely uses her cantus well, isn't very intelligent, often listens to other people's plans without much thought/skepticism, and always has to count on someone else to save her (Satoru, Kiroumaru, Tomiko, Inui, etc.). Seriously, why was she chosen to succeed Tomiko? Yeah sure, she's brave and her mental stability is great but other than that...eh. I liked her decision to finally let Squealer die at least. The other characters weren't really fleshed out well either; there were too many time skips and I couldn't care less when Shun, Maria, Mamoru died.

But otherwise, I really liked the story; the worldbuilding and portrayal of gray morality were particularly brilliant. The utopia/dystopia setting and Squealer definitely carried this whole show for me. Pretty similar to Psycho Pass with Makishima, although I liked the main characters in that show at least. Ultimately I'd give it a 8/10, might slightly increase or decrease as time goes on as I let what I just watched fully sink in.
Edit: So it's been several days and I've decided to bump the score up to a 8.5/10 and rate the anime a 9 overall, cause the setting/world-building and portrayal of gray human morality is truly phenomenal and one of the best imo. If anyone has bothered to read this far, please feel free to recommend me any more anime with those qualities cause I'm dying to know.
XiaoNov 28, 2020 6:05 PM

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Dec 14, 2020 7:20 AM

Dec 2017
7/10, mainly because of how stupid and annoying all the humans were. Overall though it was pretty good, especially the ending. Its worth enough to give this series a try. Kinda sad Kiroumaru didn't get enough screen time, they even forgot about the guy who saved saki in previous episode :(

Also those who are complaining about the non-existent plot holes in this show really needs to rewatch it properly. Every question about those "plot holes" gets answered in the show itself. Otherwise please don't bother rating or commenting about it.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Pages (27) « First ... « 24 25 [26] 27 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.