Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 21, 2013 8:29 PM

Sep 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm a little bit disappointed by the lack of focus on Labors through the majority of this OVA, but I did enjoy this episode for its Twilight Zone-esque premise. Most supernatural elements in Patlabor end up having some sort of explanation, but this episode stays mysterious. We don't get much closure at the end, unfortunately.
Oct 8, 2013 5:07 PM
Dec 2010
Im pretty sure she was a ghost!
Jan 11, 2014 12:01 PM

Jul 2011
My understanding of it was that she was the spirit of the painting. Who knows why she came out of the painting and started following Shinohara, probably just random Oshii logic.

Overall this episode and even the whole OVA in general reminds me of Gosenzosama Banbanzai with the really bizarre and off the wall humor.
Jan 30, 2015 12:47 AM

Nov 2011
Very nice.

Episodes like this are good once in a while.
No. Actually, having it more than once in a while would be fantastic. The start of the episode was hauntingly beautiful.

Pre-2000 Sunrise directing, man.

They know their shit.
Mar 4, 2015 8:05 PM

Mar 2008
Another really fantastic episode. Lovely atmosphere and low-key supernatural. Wonderful directing.

Seems like it might be a reference/homage to some mystery film or novel - especiall with the mugs at the end there. Regardless of constantly missing out on the constant nods in this show, this episode really stands out for giving what might be a last acknowledgement of Asuma and Noa's relationship - and does it in such an unorthodox and interesting way. Quite lovely.

With the Gotou and Nagumo's episode, this one, Ota's amnesia, the Sakaki-Shige crack-down, and the onsen story with Kumagami and Kanuka - this OVA really has given everyone such a loving moment of their own before the end of the series.
Aug 3, 2015 7:45 AM

Sep 2011
Ok this is the only time in the series where the supernatural element worked. This was quite beautiful, felt like wattannabe directed this.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 18, 2017 5:14 AM

Jun 2015
This episode made me feel strangely melancholic. Also only 2 remaining Patlabor eps and the forgettable third movie, so there's that :(

Unlike OP I don't mind much the lack of focus in mecha. First half of the TV series seemed way too focused to have the obligatory mecha fight in every episode, no matter what the episode was about nor the characters being spotlighted. The later parts of the series and most particularly these OVAs seem to convey what I mostly like about Patlabor: all the variety of scenarios, being a largely character-driven series and yet having Oshii-esque episodes here and there.
Sep 30, 2018 8:46 PM
Oct 2017
that was beautiful
Sep 4, 2019 10:35 AM

Jun 2015
Oh! Am I sensing an Ultraman parody next episode?
Feb 27, 2020 10:06 PM

Feb 2017
Interesting episode, but it had so little to do with actual Patlabors.

Aug 27, 2020 12:32 PM

Jul 2008
So Shinohara's girlfriend is dead right?
Sep 12, 2021 12:52 PM

Dec 2010
That was quite a bittersweet episode. So his high school crush has died young as she had always been frail, but she visited him one last time as a goodbye, even wishing him well with Noa.
Whenever Kashima was talking about snow and seeing the stars, she was most likely referring to her days in Hokkaido, just before she passed away. Apparently the bell we heard a number of times in the episode is a famous one located in Sapporo. I keep wondering though, does any of this mean that she died only shortly before the class reunion or is there no connection?
I'm probably missing a number of things, like what was up with the painting? We saw a child version of Kashima for a few seconds in the art gallery and we also saw that the painting did not have a person in it. But later when Kashima supposedly moved on, the painting changed. Was that a painting of Kashima perhaps?
Amazing episode, though to be honest I'm not watching Patlabor to experience these kinds of emotions...
DarkDooM2Sep 12, 2021 1:29 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 16 Discussion

Fronzel - Feb 21, 2013

12 by FireRifle64 »»
Apr 16, 9:18 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 7 Discussion

Fronzel - Feb 15, 2013

8 by FireRifle64 »»
Apr 12, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 12 Discussion

zetsu_shoren - Jan 26, 2015

12 by divlyfein »»
Feb 8, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 10 Discussion

zetsu_shoren - Jan 26, 2015

6 by divlyfein »»
Feb 8, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 11 Discussion

Silent_Four-Eyes - Feb 14, 2017

4 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Dec 19, 2023 11:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.