Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 22, 2013 4:16 PM

Nov 2011
Someone needs to do a montage video of Akane doing her embarrassed laugh "eh he he." So perfectly done. I love little Seiyuu creative choices like that.
Mar 22, 2013 5:06 PM

Feb 2012
Lmao what the hell did I just watch?
Mar 22, 2013 5:50 PM

Jan 2011
Got to admit, I hadn't considered the corrupt middle management angle. Somewhat fitting for recent rw events.
On the evil troll scale.. I think that beats kyuubee, for not only deceiving the trustee but the masters too. (though how the alone take it remains to be seen)
However, the rat will remain the iconic troll, though eating Rei does score the crow big points.

Onyxthegreat said:
So we need water, air, light and friendship to survive eh?

Water, obvious.
Air, obvious.
Light.. just about everything is eventually dependant on the sun.
Friendship... humans are a social species, reliant on interaction for spreading of ideas and development. And it has been shown that isolation does affects us negatively. So in a round about way we do need it to be human.
You can biologically be human without it, but you'll lack some of the behaviours that have been suggested over the years as making us different to animals.
Mar 22, 2013 6:37 PM

Oct 2011
Oh god that ending... I don't even
Mar 22, 2013 8:05 PM

May 2012
Out of everything I thought was going to happen in this episode. Rei getting ate whole by the crow, was not one of them.
Mar 22, 2013 9:31 PM

Jan 2012
ElfinMint said:
bastek66 said:
Wait, what?

fixed`

this is the day when Rei was born.

LOLOLOLOL xD ... but seriously @@ that crow just ate rei... REI!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 22, 2013 9:33 PM

Apr 2010
I was really looking forward to an execution.

Every time Akane or one of the other girls says something like "I want to know more about you!", I can't help but replace the subs text with "I wanna be inside you."

Oh, and the part where the bird swallows up Rei, somebody REALLY needs to make that into a .gif
AkamitsuMar 22, 2013 9:40 PM

Mar 22, 2013 9:42 PM

Feb 2012
What in the actual fuck just happened at the end there?

I think I'm going to have nightmares.
Mar 23, 2013 12:17 AM

Mar 2012
I was really like wtf when that bird swallowed Rei.

Anyway, good episode.
Mar 23, 2013 12:28 AM

May 2010
bastek66 said:
Wait, what?

WTF that bird is creepy and crazy !!!
Mar 23, 2013 1:05 AM

Aug 2010
bloggbigg said:
I know anime has it's own style- but seriously, when something says

"I am the villain, the harbinger of doom, the thumb on the scale to decide your fate and I will insure your destruction."
(or some such- I'm paraphrasing)

Why doesn't everyone just look at each other, shrug their shoulders, and blast it away? I mean- even the execution happy general should say 'I can shoot a bird- Hell yeah- I got this...'

It's against the rules to attack during a villainous (or heroic, for that matter) speech. Also, attacking before the opponent has transformed into a suitable form never works, either.
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Mar 23, 2013 1:12 AM

Sep 2012
ElfinMint said:
this is the day when Rei was born.
You mean by crow throwing up? LOL

wailofthebanshee said:
MAKE IT END OH LORD ALMIGHTY
And start a second season. Boy it is such a guilty pleasure to watch. Ha ha !!
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 23, 2013 1:22 AM

Sep 2012
neontaster said:
1. I think that "Manifestor Engine" is a misleading translation. If I am correct (symbv? You out there), they say 次元エンジン (Jigen Enjin), which is more like "Dimensional Engine." Makes the point about Rei being from a "different world" (or maybe a different dimension) make more sense, I think. At least a little.
Actually the translation is more or less correct, because the actual Japanese word for the engine is 示現エンジン and the best translation for the word 示現 is manifestation (of a miracle, or a deity on present world). The trick is 示現 has the same pronunciation as 次元 so it is clear that the name carries certain connotation to the "dimension" 次元 idea.

neontaster said:
2. A question for Japanese speakers - so Akane - Aka (red). Aoi - Aoi (blue), Kuroki Rei - Kuro (black), and Momo - Momoiro (Pink). What about Wakaba and Himawari? I know green is Midori and Yellow is Kiiroi, but is there some kind of pun or something that I just don't know about?
Wakaba means green leaves, hence green. Himawari means sunflower, hence yellow.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 23, 2013 1:37 AM

Sep 2012
hiabara said:
"the next scene started with him saying "human require water, air, light and friendship in order to survive."
i guess someone has seen too many anime. goddamnit, old man!
Too many anime? You don't know shit what the old man read...
Onyxthegreat said:
You may want to ridicule this old man but what he said actually came from none other than the great Goethe !!!

Nur Luft und Licht und Freundeslieb!
Ermüde nicht, Wem dies noch blieb.

Only air, light and friends' love!
Weary not, if these should remain

which he wrote on a wooden panel when he visited a forestry near the village of Waldeck.

Of course he exaggerated the case to explicitly link it to survival, but his words stick close to the original words by Goethe: That friendship can be as critical and important as air and light.

Mar 23, 2013 5:34 AM

Nov 2009
Epic Episode!!!

I was wondering how the crow that size would get the bow back from Rei but didn't expect that to appear!!! She just ate her like that!?

Very interesting and I am looking forward to the next final episode with the Crow Alone as the final boss, wonder if we will see like a four way dock where the ultimate fusion is born!?

5/5

Mar 23, 2013 6:04 AM

Jun 2012
symbv said:
hiabara said:
"the next scene started with him saying "human require water, air, light and friendship in order to survive."
Onyxthegreat said:
You may want to ridicule this old man but what he said actually came from none other than the great Goethe !!!

which he wrote on a wooden panel when he visited a forestry near the village of Waldeck.

Of course he exaggerated the case to explicitly link it to survival, but his words stick close to the original words by Goethe: That friendship can be as critical and important as air and light.

I am highly doubting that he wanted to quote Goethe... a coincidence isn't unliklier.
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Mar 23, 2013 6:08 AM

Sep 2012
Kyube said:
symbv said:
hiabara said:
Onyxthegreat said:

I am highly doubting that he wanted to quote Goethe... a coincidence isn't unliklier.
You think it is a coincidence that Air, Light and Friendship can all come together in the old man's words purely by random?? Vividred may be a show that does not demand erudition or depth, but that does not mean its writer would never have read Goethe.

Mar 23, 2013 6:54 AM

Jun 2012
symbv said:
Kyube said:
symbv said:
hiabara said:
Onyxthegreat said:

You think it is a coincidence that Air, Light and Friendship can all come together in the old man's words purely by random?? Vividred may be a show that does not demand erudition or depth, but that does not mean its writer would never have read Goethe.

I think it is standard generic phrase to appeal to the strength of friendship.
You want to say that friendship is important, so you say humans need friendship and in order to make it clear and easier to understand for children, you use a comparsion, light, water and air are easy to understand for little children, so you use it and finish it with the complex and warm sounding word friendship and leaving a strong impact.
I wanted to make clear, that I am not impressed by that phrase and that is not that difficult to could come up with it.
Even if the phrase was used by geniuse, it doesn't make the phrase better.
I am highly distrusting people, so maybe I am doubting too much his hard knowledge of books or I am just biased because I am disliking most of Goethe's work I read.
I think both of our points are argueable.
ChepriMar 23, 2013 7:03 AM
Mar 23, 2013 7:08 AM

Sep 2012
Kyube said:
What is the chance that only Water and Light and nothing else are placed along with Friendship if you ask someone to come up with a "generic" phrase to describe friendship????

Kyube said:

I wanted to make clear, that I am not impressed by that phrase, that anyone could come up with it.
Maybe it is not better, but at least you know there is an origin of the phrase instead of something dreamed up by some brainless writer. At least I am sure the writer probably reads some other stuff by Goethe or other great writer as well.

Kyube said:
I am highly distrusting people, so maybe I am doubting too much his hard knowledge of books or I am just biased because I am disliking most of Goethe's work I read.
You disliking Goethe's work is one thing, whether this phrase is just a random concoction that so coincidentally matches with a phrase by Goethe almost exactly in its contents is another.

Kyube said:
I do not see how my point is arguable, but surely yours is very problematic.

Mar 23, 2013 7:10 AM

Nov 2011
symbv said:
Actually the translation is more or less correct, because the actual Japanese word for the engine is 示現エンジン and the best translation for the word 示現 is manifestation (of a miracle, or a deity on present world). The trick is 示現 has the same pronunciation as 次元 so it is clear that the name carries certain connotation to the "dimension" 次元 idea.

Oh wow. Interesting. A lot of puns and wordplay in Japanese. I like it.

symbv said:
Wakaba means green leaves, hence green. Himawari means sunflower, hence yellow.

Yeah I did some digging and found that out but thanks again for the info. And congrats on your MAL promotion hahaha.
Mar 23, 2013 7:42 AM

Jun 2012
symbv said:
Kyube said:
1. What is the chance that only Water and Light and nothing else are placed along with Friendship if you ask someone to come up with a "generic" phrase to describe friendship????

Kyube said:

I wanted to make clear, that I am not impressed by that phrase, that anyone could come up with it.
2. Maybe it is not better, but at least you know there is an origin of the phrase instead of something dreamed up by some brainless writer. At least I am sure the writer probably reads some other stuff by Goethe or other great writer as well.

Kyube said:
3. You disliking Goethe's work is one thing, whether this phrase is just a random concoction that so coincidentally matches with a phrase by Goethe almost exactly in its contents is another.

Kyube said:
4. I do not see how my point is arguable, but surely yours is very problematic.

1. I don't know the chance of only placing water and air along with friendship. I think the pool of words, that describe everything humans need isn't that big. And a comparsion using just one element out of that pool is also unlikely, because using several elements let the comparsion be stronger, so I think the chance becomes higher, that you use water, air and light along with friendship.

2. Did really Goethe inspire that phrase and not some greek philosoph? I think this is also possible. But of course it is nice to know, that something has an origin. The room is more coloured then.

3. -

4. Yeah, your point isn't argueable, because you simply stated a fact and said it is possible the writer was inspired by Goethe or whatever.
But I am not sure, why my point is problematic. Is the thought process leading how this phrase was created so intransparent, that it isn't possble?
Mar 23, 2013 7:43 AM

Sep 2009
When Akane was trying to break the glass.. i nearly cried while she was screaming and that she wants to know more about Rei. That was great! ^^

Damn at the end.. what will happen to Rei now?
Mar 23, 2013 8:32 AM

Mar 2013
What the heck!? What's the point if making a test if you can't even pass it? Wouldn't be faster and easier to just destroy them if that's the whole point?
I was actually a little scared. I was thinking, "OMG what's that bird gonna do to Rei!?" I was thinking something like capture her, torture till she falls unconscious, make her dissapear with his weird bird powers or something like that...
And then it eats her.... *facepalm* XD
Idk think there will be a vivid black or anything, I think everyone's goin to dock seperately so you get a vivid red, blue, green, and yellow at the same time
merumerumerumerumerumexinfinity
Mar 23, 2013 8:41 AM

Sep 2012
Kyube said:
1. I don't know the chance of only placing water and air along with friendship. I think the pool of words, that describe everything humans need isn't that big. And a comparsion using just one element out of that pool is also unlikely, because using several elements let the comparsion be stronger, so I think the chance becomes higher, that you use water, air and light along with friendship.
Still how big is the chance of those three exact words are used (and not more) in exactly the same order? Even the "Basic English Vocabulary", which is the pool of words some propose that should describe everything humans need, has close to a thousand words. What are the chance of picking 3 words out of it (not 1 not 2 not 4 not 5) and in exact order?

Kyube said:
2. Did really Goethe inspire that phrase and not some greek philosoph? I think this is also possible. But of course it is nice to know, that something has an origin. The room is more coloured then.
You are very distrustful of people, aren't you? I already quoted the exact German used by Goethe. If you can find other sources that dispute my finding, you are welcome to share it with us.

Kyube said:
But I am not sure, why my point is problematic. Is the thought process leading how this phrase was created so intransparent, that it isn't possble?
The way you keep saying it is more likely to be chance that has the old man saying the words in almost exact form as what Goethe said despite its chance is vastly slimmer than the writer knowing the Goethe quote and using it here.

Mar 23, 2013 9:04 AM
Nov 2012
Important fact that nobody noticed: There were no butt shots in this episode xD
Mar 23, 2013 10:43 AM

Oct 2011
WTH was that!! That crow ate Kuroki in 1 bite.
Next time, there better be a 4-way docking and show me what vividred looks like.
Signature
Mar 23, 2013 12:43 PM

Jan 2008
So... what the hell was that glass made of? Aklane can slice an unpowered Alone with that weapon... but that glass is too much?
Mar 23, 2013 1:31 PM

Jun 2012
Great episode!

Mar 23, 2013 1:36 PM

Sep 2012
We will finally see Vivid Red (i hope)

Man, this episode was so good! Finally, I knew the crow was gonna be final boss or something. I hope its gonna be a four way dock, otherwise I'll be pretty disapointed.

I wonder what will happen to Kuroki.

This anime has entertained so much!
Mar 23, 2013 3:20 PM

Oct 2009
OMG IT ATED HER...
Mar 23, 2013 4:35 PM
Feb 2012
what the fuck did i just watch

great episode overall, even if a bit cheezy

Sent with Mal Updater
Mar 23, 2013 6:41 PM

Aug 2011
Lost it when the crow ate Rei.

What the hell, man.
Mar 23, 2013 8:28 PM
Jul 2011
Miteshu said:
Aludile said:
bastek66 said:
Wait, what?

>mfw

It deserves to be quoted. Exactly what i was thinking watching this scene

Double quoted for being so fitting ^^ Maybe they shouldn't have done that scene when I was already detesting her since last week. I was actually starting to be happy about her being killed in such a pathetic way, when I realized she'll almost certainly be miraculously saved next week to be hugged and loved by the entire cast all over again.

The writers can't possibly let her be dead after desperately trying to make me feel sorry for her during this entire episode. Seriously, why am I supposed to care for her and cheer for the other girls fighting to meet her? She tried to destroy this world, infiltrated her "friends" to improve her chances by being closer to Kenjirou and stopped any self-reflection last episode. She spent most of her screen time this week making an angry face and was never even about to at least say "sorry". What a nice friend she is...

Why can't writers like these just do a very simple and solid story that won't make them embarrass themselves? Why do they try to do more than they can handle? It's not witchcraft to write a simple plot that makes sense :-(

Then again, I'm a hypocrite too for being annoyed -now-. I knew this show wasn't trying to make sense ever since Akane suddenly docked with a girl she barely knew, yet I stayed for the fanservice and now I'm making a fool of myself by complaining. I guess I got what I deserved.
Mar 23, 2013 9:39 PM

Jul 2008
Mikenzb said:
I better see a 4-way docking on the last episode.

I doubt it. They should keep that last resort power-up against the ultimate villain, not some kind of "general"-level enemy. I doubt there'll be a season 2 someday (but hey who knows, symphogear is getting one after all) but there's no reason to blow up possible future power-up, especially when it isn't necessary.

I bet they'll fight and be on the loosing end until they somehow manage to free Kuroki from the crow with the power of love. Kuroki will receive her own key and she will "dock" with Akane and they will defeat the crow.
Mar 24, 2013 7:27 AM

Mar 2011
I don't think this anime could be any more cheesy, cliche and predictable, but its fun all the same.

I like how Rei made them the bad guys. If they had lied, and had know her identity all along they would have just had her arrested from the start, so that whole issue was a bit stupid... But it did show that friendship is what matters most, even if said friend is trying to 'destroy' the world and you don't know why.

So next episode they will defeat the big bad boss, probably by doing a fusion of all of the girls, save Rei (or rei will be freed and she will dock) and live happily ever after with no consequences, until the alone appear again for season 2.

Reminds me of Nanoha, but I think this anime is to cheesy to even punish the one for trying to destroy the world's energy xD.

Best part was the crow eating Rei xD.
TehWhiteTigerMar 24, 2013 7:33 AM
"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Mar 24, 2013 8:18 AM

Dec 2007
Oh god that ending.. I can't stop laughing
Make it stop pfft
CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2013 8:19 AM

Sep 2012
Scheherazade1007 said:
Mikenzb said:

I doubt it. They should keep that last resort power-up against the ultimate villain, not some kind of "general"-level enemy. I doubt there'll be a season 2 someday (but hey who knows, symphogear is getting one after all) but there's no reason to blow up possible future power-up, especially when it isn't necessary.

I bet they'll fight and be on the loosing end until they somehow manage to free Kuroki from the crow with the power of love. Kuroki will receive her own key and she will "dock" with Akane and they will defeat the crow.

According to both the anime and the manga, only two way docking between Akane and one other girl is listed. Doesn't say other combinations are impossible but implies that only one girl with Akane can dock...

Now just a guess on my part that Vividred Operation is Akane x Rei... we'll see! Can't wait for the last one, and all the BDs to arrive!
hpulleyMar 24, 2013 8:24 AM
Mar 24, 2013 12:53 PM

Apr 2008
Haha, the crow ate Rei XD

Mar 24, 2013 12:59 PM

Jul 2008
hpulley said:
Scheherazade1007 said:
Mikenzb said:

According to both the anime and the manga, only two way docking between Akane and one other girl is listed. Doesn't say other combinations are impossible but implies that only one girl with Akane can dock...

Now just a guess on my part that Vividred Operation is Akane x Rei... we'll see! Can't wait for the last one, and all the BDs to arrive!

Yes but that own system is also said to evolve on it's own so it wouldn't be surprising if they manage to multi-docking because of the power of love and friendship.
It'd be bad, but it wouldn't be surprising.
Mar 24, 2013 1:19 PM

Sep 2012
It isn't exactly a logical show. I love it but it is a "check your brain at the door" kind of SF show so they can of course make it possible for all four of them to dock now for whatever reason they decide to make up; I don't think it would even be bad, this show just does that sort of thing, makes it up as it goes along. Will be fun to see what "Vividred Operation" turns out to be after looking at this title for all this time since the show was announced.

Not sure it has entirely lived up to its promise, what it showed in the first show especially and the first four shows. Feels like the middle was a bit more hit and miss but I hope an awesome finale makes up for that, otherwise I may feel silly about importing the show. The first volume should ship on the 26/27th, cleverly before the finale airs? Or not cleverly, we will see...
Mar 24, 2013 3:04 PM

May 2012
I was thinking that Akane's going to end up docking with all of them, one after the other, and that will somehow create a new form: Vividred. But, we'll see next week.

Man, I love this show~

Always a fun episode ~

Few shows can do that.
Mar 24, 2013 5:10 PM
Feb 2012
Once the crow swallowed Rei, the episode lost all its credibility (not like this show strives for something like credibility anyway).
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Mar 24, 2013 9:57 PM

Jan 2013
GuiltyKing said:
Once the crow swallowed Rei, the episode lost all its credibility (not like this show strives for something like credibility anyway).

It's nice to see something so unexpected every once in a awhile
Mar 25, 2013 1:11 AM

Sep 2012
RediceRyan said:
GuiltyKing said:

It's nice to see something so unexpected every once in a awhile

Agreed, I was shocked for a moment. With this show I wasn't sad as I just know she is OK but the crow changing from mere speaking animal to special final series boss was exciting.
Mar 25, 2013 10:58 AM
Jan 2013
did the crow just eat her .. ? what just happened LOL.
Mar 25, 2013 11:43 AM

Jul 2012
if rei was doing one of those cheesy speeches and suddenly got eaten by the crow before she ends it could be more hilarious LOL

i feel guilty for laughting at this...
Feer19Mar 25, 2013 1:34 PM
Mar 25, 2013 3:56 PM
Feb 2012
bastek66 said:
Wait, what?

Omg. That was so weird and unexpected XD wth
Mar 25, 2013 5:27 PM

Aug 2012
Mar 25, 2013 11:12 PM

Aug 2008
Well, that was unexpected and disturbing for Rei. Anyway, I'm expecting they will be able to get her back probably from that core of the winged beast.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Mar 26, 2013 6:37 AM

Oct 2009
This sound too familiar...
did anyone remember that Evangelion scene.. when Rei (Ayanami)
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vividred Operation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2013

207 by Azullion1 »»
Oct 30, 2022 11:11 AM

Poll: » Vividred Operation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

bippo - Mar 28, 2013

170 by Gendolfas »»
Mar 30, 2022 9:10 AM

Poll: » Vividred Operation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2013

84 by Gendolfas »»
Mar 30, 2022 7:34 AM

Poll: » Vividred Operation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2013

71 by Gendolfas »»
Mar 30, 2022 6:39 AM

Poll: » Vividred Operation Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2013

79 by Gendolfas »»
Mar 29, 2022 12:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.