Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Post New Reply
Poll: Death Billiards Episode 1 Discussion

Dec 24, 2015 10:56 AM

That was really good. So excited to watch Death Parade.

5/5

Dec 30, 2015 5:05 PM
TragicRomance said:
That was so...bloody good.That smirk,.

danmari said:
I'm honestly a little confused here. The female bartender doesn't seem to know who went where, so were the faces above the elevator doors just meaningless decoration?

I was wondering about the same thing..

Ryugen said:
I believe the old man wanted to go to hell. He seemed like the kind of guy who would have fun there. Maybe he requested to go to hell?

What the younger guy said really touched me on how people aren't equal. I'm surprised to find such better values in a 24 minute episode than a 24 episode series.

I agree.

Mod Edit: Merged posts. Please do not double post.

i agree with u guys cause if u notice the old man came to the bar from the left elevator which means that people use the same elevator with which they came to the bar

Jan 12, 2016 1:41 PM

I just watched this after finishing Death Parade and didn't understand how Chiyuki couldn't know who went to the void and who got reincarnated. Wasn't the thing with the masks explained at some point? Or does it still make sense somewhere in the time line?

Also I'm guessing no one ever figured out what the old guy told Decim?

Jan 23, 2016 8:43 PM

That was so good.

But it was awkward when I thought that the younger guy's girlfriend was cheating on him with the woman in bed...I didn't notice that he didn't have pants on when his girlfriend slapped him.

Made that episode even better. I wonder who went to haven and who went to hell.

Jan 30, 2016 1:02 PM

It was good, but Idk why it's classed as a 'Movie' when it's more OVA length.

Feb 5, 2016 11:37 PM

Old man & that guy was faaar good than the shtty guests in Death Parade.
I rate 8/10

Feb 15, 2016 2:38 PM

This was pretty damn great, just as enjoyable as Death Parade. The old geezer was one helluva badass, and it's quite sad that he himself decided to go to hell ;~; But the words of the younger man was great, really hit me.

Solid 8/10 for me.

Apr 4, 2016 8:58 AM

Interesting... So having already seen death parade, perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way. The old man goes to the void, and the young man goes to be reincarnated. I don't remember if it was mentioned that that's what heaven and hell is in death billiards, so maybe in this case, it really is the typical heaven and hell that we think of here. So if the signs are correct that only one goes to hell, why would the old man go to hell? Either the signs aren't the indicator in this case, which is why chiyuki didn't know either, or perhaps the old man said that the young man could take the old man's place in heaven, so the explanation for chiyuki not knowing would be that she wasn't there at the elevators, and waited at the bar while decim took the guests to the elevators. But then that would never happen in Death Parade. The humans don't get to decide, and a simple request can't sway decim's judgement. It's not the old man's choice. In my opinion, they both deserved to go to the void. The old man showed some signs of being a bully in his life, and while he remained very reasonable here, his face at the end was a bit sinister, so maybe what he said to decim wasn't that he would take his place in hell at all. Of course, the other guy was a cheater and showed signs of being selfish and aggressive in the game. Now I think about it, I'm not sure who is worse - the old man or the young man.
Modified by Luke72, Apr 4, 2016 9:05 AM

Jun 29, 2016 2:14 PM

Shuhan said:
Damn that was surprisingly good, had me on the edge of my seat. Very thrilling.

9/10

Im assuming the young man went to "heaven" while the old went to "hell".
Really wonder what the old man said to the bartender.
the series answer the questions. the game itself is meaningless. is just a way to push the two persons to see what are they willing to do if they think their life is in danger. Depending on how they react they go to one place or another. based on the ova at that point the old man should have gone up and the young man down. The fact that in the end the old man goes to hell and the young to heaven means that the old man made the arbiter change the judgment and switch their places. note that the players are not fighting each other but their darkness inside. they both ca go to the same place.

Jun 29, 2016 2:16 PM

geearf said:
Just rewatched this today and still as awesome.

A few things I don't get with people's comments here:

1) The elevators/masks: They are meaningless.
- The two use the same elevators to get in and to leave...
- If they had a meaning, the girl wouldn't ask...
2) That the old man was a bully: we have no clue what that fight was about, all we know is he fought some kid while a kid himself... but why? We cannot say...

In the whole place, only the young one was 'bad'... He only fought or care about fairness for him...
No one said that winning the game would send people to heaven.
I agree that winning the game probably sends people to hell, and so the young one changed his destiny by going to hell instead of heaven as he could have done.
the masks change depending on the result. they are mobile. the girl asks because she does not know. she is just an assistant not an arbiter.

Jun 29, 2016 2:17 PM

tamayamawuv said:
Nobody's talking about the room with the corpses, so do we all just assume those are the dead bodies of people who refused to play the game?

I can't wait for the TV series. I give this about a 9.5/10, but will round up to 10 in my rating.
sorta. after they play their bodies are transformed into manequins which contain their memories.

Jun 29, 2016 2:19 PM

EarlCiel said:
Well, that was very interesting. Seeing as how I actually watched the first episode of Death Parade before watching this, I have an idea of what their fates are.

This is what I think happened from my point of view:

In a game of billards, both have that connection in that at some point in their life this game holds great memories for them.
Yet, the old man is far more experienced, and as the bartender has said he "was probably predicted to win".

And in the end, the young man wins. He fights so desperately for his life, and this is a game with their lives at stake after all.
So, in my eyes, what happened at the end was that the outcome of the game did not determine their fate.
The game of billards, is much like an analogy for life. One is far more experienced. One has some experienced.
The point of the game was to watch who valued life the most, and the person who does gets a second chance to be reborn or reincarnated.

Not entirely sure what the old man said at the end, but I'm pretty sure that smile was not an innocent smile haha.
I think that if I was in the old man's position I'd maybe laugh at the irony of the situation but smile looked a bit more malicious
if you watched death parade you should know the old man was supposed to go to heaven and the young man to hell. But the old man asked for them to switch.

Jun 29, 2016 2:21 PM

kitten320 said:
Still don't get why old man went to hell...

he asked the arbiter change their places.

Jun 29, 2016 2:23 PM

kuiglii said:
I just watched this after finishing Death Parade and didn't understand how Chiyuki couldn't know who went to the void and who got reincarnated. Wasn't the thing with the masks explained at some point? Or does it still make sense somewhere in the time line?

Also I'm guessing no one ever figured out what the old guy told Decim?
deth billiard was written before death parade. I wondered the same thing. I think is just a plothole. They forgot that she should not have known the mask meaning when the two were to Decim's

Jun 29, 2016 2:27 PM

Luke72 said:
Interesting... So having already seen death parade, perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way. The old man goes to the void, and the young man goes to be reincarnated. I don't remember if it was mentioned that that's what heaven and hell is in death billiards, so maybe in this case, it really is the typical heaven and hell that we think of here. So if the signs are correct that only one goes to hell, why would the old man go to hell? Either the signs aren't the indicator in this case, which is why chiyuki didn't know either, or perhaps the old man said that the young man could take the old man's place in heaven, so the explanation for chiyuki not knowing would be that she wasn't there at the elevators, and waited at the bar while decim took the guests to the elevators. But then that would never happen in Death Parade. The humans don't get to decide, and a simple request can't sway decim's judgement. It's not the old man's choice. In my opinion, they both deserved to go to the void. The old man showed some signs of being a bully in his life, and while he remained very reasonable here, his face at the end was a bit sinister, so maybe what he said to decim wasn't that he would take his place in hell at all. Of course, the other guy was a cheater and showed signs of being selfish and aggressive in the game. Now I think about it, I'm not sure who is worse - the old man or the young man.
you are correct. the results of the test would have sent the old man to reincarnation and the young to the void. but the old man asked for their places reversed. About their life, that does not matter. All that matters is their reactions during the game. Decim himself said when they came they stood equal chances. About why it was allowed for the old man's request to switch places I have no idea.

Sep 16, 2016 10:48 PM

This was better than the series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Sep 17, 2016 4:15 PM

So lucky I got to watch Death Parade before Death Billiards (never watched this when it first came out in 2013). It makes so much more sense!
As long as there's more good anime, I'll keep watching or just stick with my favorites

Oct 16, 2016 6:13 AM
Great start, which then resulted in an excellent series - "Death Parade"

Nov 16, 2016 11:53 AM

I've seen this so many times before. The same exaggerated screams, the same kinds of characters, the same angles, the same unrealistic behavior (Why didn't they threaten the hostesses?), the same slick, generic designs, the same shallow setting... It's the same old mediocre shit by an industry that's inbred.

Totally unrelated, but two days before, I watched The Hustler, a pretty good black and white movie whose pool matches had much more energy.
Modified by Ezekiel, Nov 16, 2016 11:58 AM

Nov 21, 2016 9:53 PM

That was a good movie. Dunno why that old man had that creepy smile in the elevator o.O

Dec 15, 2016 3:27 PM

That hug was nice, dunno why was that old man smiling at the end.

Jan 4, 1:36 PM

My thought about Death Billiard vs Death Parade
So after watching Death Parade, I watched Death Billiards.
I guess it doesn't really matter in which order you watch the 2.

Watching Billiards, I felt as though I was just watching another episode of Death Parade.
The game itself meaningless,
a major portion of interest being the social experiment to see how the guinea pigs will behave,
then feels and animations thrown into it.

What made Death Billiards stand out was that one powerful speech of the youngster near the end, where he argues that he and his contestant could not possibly have entered the room with equal chances due to the life they lived which had shaped them into what they were the moment they entered through those elevators.
To be honest, it was another boring, ethically obvious point that a lot of people have probably already been taught in any sort of ethics class or similar. So in a sense both Death Parade and Death Billiard were equally pretentious and regurgitating as Psycho-Pass.
However, aside from that, Death Billiard had pretty much everything. It was a great watch and didn't drag things out. The message was staged in a spectacular way that caught you up in empathy. And needless to say, the animations and sound were pretty good too.
Overall, this was actually better than Death Parade.

The old man - Interpretation of the Ending
I noticed that the old man was pictured on one of the (poker) cards from episode 10 of Death Parade.
The picture of him and his wife is also seen again.
Which means he was the husband of the granny you see in Death Parade ep.10.

As for the punishment, I can only think of 2 outcomes that makes sense if you consider this as part of Death Parade and not just as a standalone.

Billiards makes it seem like the old man was free of guilt and the youngster guilty at the moment the grandpa whispered to Decim. You'd therefore interpret his whisper to Decim as a request to exchange places, so that he - who was supposed to go to heaven - would switch places with the youngster.
Something from Death Parade that supports this thesis is that according to Death Parade the participants of this game get their inner darkness pulled out and are then judged based on that.
But the old man didn't give decim any base for judging him at first. He played the game as he was forced to, then defended himself against the assault from the youngster. But afterwards he showed no signs of remorse towards the youngster and instead expressed his gratitude.
I would have therefore interpreted the old man's evil smirk at the end as the brave face of a man facing the fearful unknown that he burdened himself with, with a smile.

However, having all the background info from Death Parade, another scenario seems even more likely.
For one, because the game they play is supposed to be a way for the arbiter to pass a judgement.
If the old man was the one who pleaded for the youngster's soul in exchange for his, it would likely not have changed the outcome for the youngster, but only the old man's. The arbiter isn't able to pass judgement on the youngster based on the grandpa's actions, only the youngster's.
Furthermore, there are "hints"(the camera viewing decim as he widens his eyes) in the episode just like they occur in every death parade episode whenever decim passes or changes judgement on someone (usually when someone shows that they lived their life to the fullest, no matter if they're punished or not afterwards), which you could see occuring directly after the speech of the youngster.
Meaning that decim had only passed his judgement on him at that moment and not before.
Meaning, the old man's request to switch places would have resulted in a different ending than what was seen at the end, since at the very least it was hinted at that the youngster was judged as not guilty.
The elder, if you hadn't noticed, was neither senile or physically weak. Yet he remained awfully calm and indifferent at the sight of the youngster yelling and crying as he was forcefully dragged into what was made out to be the elevator's door to hell.
The elder most likely talked to decim about the outcome of the test and wanted to get reassured that he had won the game and can now go to heaven. I'd imagine decim replying straightforward with something like "Yes, you undoubtedly won." Referring to the game, of course. And not the judgement, which he had lost when he asked that question after showing indifference towards the suffering soul besides him.
That's why the camera angle hides decim's eye during that scene, to hide his judgement-indicative reaction to the grandpa's unexpected words.
Modified by Flevalt, Jan 4, 1:52 PM

Jan 14, 11:05 AM

holy shit that old guy know kung fu
"Mountains, beings, and nature's laws are bound by an arrangement, and within it, we live." -Mushishi Zoku Shou Suzu No Shizuku

Jan 25, 5:18 AM

lustinNthrustin said:
It was good, but Idk why it's classed as a 'Movie' when it's more OVA length.

Because OVA vs Movie is about the way it's originally released and not about its length.

Flevalt said:
My thought about Death Billiard vs Death Parade
So after watching Death Parade, I watched Death Billiards.
I guess it doesn't really matter in which order you watch the 2.

Watching Billiards, I felt as though I was just watching another episode of Death Parade.
The game itself meaningless,
a major portion of interest being the social experiment to see how the guinea pigs will behave,
then feels and animations thrown into it.

What made Death Billiards stand out was that one powerful speech of the youngster near the end, where he argues that he and his contestant could not possibly have entered the room with equal chances due to the life they lived which had shaped them into what they were the moment they entered through those elevators.
To be honest, it was another boring, ethically obvious point that a lot of people have probably already been taught in any sort of ethics class or similar. So in a sense both Death Parade and Death Billiard were equally pretentious and regurgitating as Psycho-Pass.
However, aside from that, Death Billiard had pretty much everything. It was a great watch and didn't drag things out. The message was staged in a spectacular way that caught you up in empathy. And needless to say, the animations and sound were pretty good too.
Overall, this was actually better than Death Parade.

The old man - Interpretation of the Ending
I noticed that the old man was pictured on one of the (poker) cards from episode 10 of Death Parade.
The picture of him and his wife is also seen again.
Which means he was the husband of the granny you see in Death Parade ep.10.

As for the punishment, I can only think of 2 outcomes that makes sense if you consider this as part of Death Parade and not just as a standalone.

Billiards makes it seem like the old man was free of guilt and the youngster guilty at the moment the grandpa whispered to Decim. You'd therefore interpret his whisper to Decim as a request to exchange places, so that he - who was supposed to go to heaven - would switch places with the youngster.
Something from Death Parade that supports this thesis is that according to Death Parade the participants of this game get their inner darkness pulled out and are then judged based on that.
But the old man didn't give decim any base for judging him at first. He played the game as he was forced to, then defended himself against the assault from the youngster. But afterwards he showed no signs of remorse towards the youngster and instead expressed his gratitude.
I would have therefore interpreted the old man's evil smirk at the end as the brave face of a man facing the fearful unknown that he burdened himself with, with a smile.

However, having all the background info from Death Parade, another scenario seems even more likely.
For one, because the game they play is supposed to be a way for the arbiter to pass a judgement.
If the old man was the one who pleaded for the youngster's soul in exchange for his, it would likely not have changed the outcome for the youngster, but only the old man's. The arbiter isn't able to pass judgement on the youngster based on the grandpa's actions, only the youngster's.
Furthermore, there are "hints"(the camera viewing decim as he widens his eyes) in the episode just like they occur in every death parade episode whenever decim passes or changes judgement on someone (usually when someone shows that they lived their life to the fullest, no matter if they're punished or not afterwards), which you could see occuring directly after the speech of the youngster.
Meaning that decim had only passed his judgement on him at that moment and not before.
Meaning, the old man's request to switch places would have resulted in a different ending than what was seen at the end, since at the very least it was hinted at that the youngster was judged as not guilty.
The elder, if you hadn't noticed, was neither senile or physically weak. Yet he remained awfully calm and indifferent at the sight of the youngster yelling and crying as he was forcefully dragged into what was made out to be the elevator's door to hell.
The elder most likely talked to decim about the outcome of the test and wanted to get reassured that he had won the game and can now go to heaven. I'd imagine decim replying straightforward with something like "Yes, you undoubtedly won." Referring to the game, of course. And not the judgement, which he had lost when he asked that question after showing indifference towards the suffering soul besides him.
That's why the camera angle hides decim's eye during that scene, to hide his judgement-indicative reaction to the grandpa's unexpected words.

Good point. The old man lost the game btw. I think it could still be possible that he asked Decim whether Decim thinks that he would have won if he hadn't been interupted.

Feb 15, 1:57 PM

As I watched the episode after finishing Death Parade a few years back, it still felt as intriguing as the series did. Despite being limited to a single episode, the story was well-depicted (and most importantly, well-concluded). The unique setting of the show ages well.

On a related note, that was one dark old man...

Feb 22, 11:45 PM

I'm going to watch Death Parade after this for sure...

but is it ever mentioned outright that one must go to hell, and one must go to heaven?
Is it not possible that both the old man and the younger guy went to hell/heaven?

Feb 27, 8:44 AM

I think the old man deceived the judje as usual ,
Everyone who saw the Movie will think 100% that Grandpa would go to the Hell , but the opposite will happen
Explicit provision is not in the level

Apr 5, 10:01 PM
Great episode! Thanks goodness I watch Death parade before this xD

May 7, 2:31 PM

This episode aired before Death Parade. Guess the old man went to hell/void and the man went to heaven/reincarnation. I wonder what that smirk meant.

May 7, 2:33 PM

EusTass-Amino said:
I think the old man deceived the judje as usual ,
Everyone who saw the Movie will think 100% that Grandpa would go to the Hell , but the opposite will happen
Explicit provision is not in the level

But the old man went in the elevator with the red/angry noh mask...

May 20, 6:08 PM

Welp, that old dude just saved this fella. Guess he was satisfied with how his life turned out so thought the guy should get a second chance or something along those lines. I'm assuming it's because he had fun playing pool and fighting.

May 23, 6:08 AM
xochandaox said:
Zheng1991 said:
Any idea of which one going to hell or heaven?

well, the old man said he would give the young guy his spot for heaven.. but he had that smirk on his face.. soo.. Im not 100% sure.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of a deleted post.

same..its so confusing ://

May 23, 6:10 AM
BFbooklover said:
EGOIST- said:

same there , only got the raw on Nyaa , but still wondering about subbed ver.

It's on pinoyanime.com and new anime.com

I watched it from kissanime

May 23, 6:34 AM
I feel conflicted about this show. The art and animation were done beautifully and they were put a lot effort into them. Even the characters backstories were shown well.
The show made me feel intense emotions,which is probably a good thing. However, since the show is quite dark and shows about desperate humans forced into a specific situation the intense emotions I experienced werent happy at all,the opposite. So the art,characters,storytelling and animation were done well but if you arent fan of dark anime,like I you probably wouldnt enjoy this show as much as some who has a liking towards dark anime, So I didnt score it since I appreciate the art but didnt like how the anime made me feel (:"D)

Jun 5, 9:53 PM

I think it's cool how they have a budget to train animators.

Anyways, I think the younger man was the man who got "saved". =/ Even though the young man did some terrible things to his gf, he still wants to live...

Jun 8, 11:52 PM

It would had been more awesome if this there was atleast 5 to 10 more minutes before the end to explain what happened, and what that old man said to the bartender.

It was good. 6/10

Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]