Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 17, 2013 1:42 AM

Jan 2013
Im having troubles deciding what i want to watch next. Im so tired of watching a bunch of animes that end up sucking or just being predictable.
Also, I much prefer DUBBED.

Action, dubs, a bit of romance, a few funny parts wouldnt hurt, good animation (2005 and up preferably), character development, psychological aspects are a plus, & a dark vibe would be nice.

DISLIKES:
Mechs, ecchi, childish animes (naruto, one piece, etc), magic (a bit of seemingly magical powers doesnt hurt. No DBZs though. DTB did it right.)

The only 3 good animes ive found since joining this website have been Phantom, Durarara, & Steins;Gate. The better the action the better the anime. Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Darker Than Black, etc. They all had amazing action & left me at the edge of my seat. So the more of my likes involved in whatever suggestion the better.
Mar 17, 2013 1:48 AM

Sep 2012
Speed Grapher, which is on your PTW list, is AWESOME. I prefer subbed versions, but I watched Speed Grapher first on Netflix, which only really offers dubbed versions, and I thought it was really great. The description the myanimelist site gives you is kind of lame. It's misconstrued, but trust me... You will like it if you are looking for dark anime with action.
Mar 17, 2013 2:00 AM

Jan 2013
CLYDESDALE said:
Speed Grapher, which is on your PTW list, is AWESOME. I prefer subbed versions, but I watched Speed Grapher first on Netflix, which only really offers dubbed versions, and I thought it was really great. The description the myanimelist site gives you is kind of lame. It's misconstrued, but trust me... You will like it if you are looking for dark anime with action.

Ive seen two episodes of it & didnt like it. I may give it a few more episodes before completely dropping it but it just didnt catch my attention & Im already pretty sure im going to drop it. :/
Mar 17, 2013 2:05 AM

Sep 2012
acyanidesurprise said:
CLYDESDALE said:

Ive seen two episodes of it & didnt like it. I may give it a few more episodes before completely dropping it but it just didnt catch my attention & Im already pretty sure im going to drop it. :/

Edit: Oh, and you might want to update stuff like that to your list, so there aren't any misgivings when recommendations are concerned, good sir.

Wait... So, did you get to see the police chick yet? Well, let us know what you don't like about it, so we can give better recommendations. XD
There is definitely a bit of romance, a lot of action, it has good animation quality, great character development, dark vibes, and DEFINITELY psychological aspects. It's not childish, no mech... OK, so it's Ecchi(But why does that particularly bother you? Is it THAT bad??), and there is no "magic". I would say what they have are superpowers.
Mar 17, 2013 2:09 AM

Jan 2013
CLYDESDALE said:
acyanidesurprise said:
CLYDESDALE said:

Edit: Oh, and you might want to update stuff like that to your list, so there aren't any misgivings when recommendations are concerned, good sir.

Wait... So, did you get to see the police chick yet? Well, let us know what you don't like about it, so we can give better recommendations. XD
There is definitely a bit of romance, a lot of action, it has good animation quality, great character development, dark vibes, and DEFINITELY psychological aspects. It's not childish, no mech... OK, so it's Ecchi(But why does that particularly bother you? Is it THAT bad??), and there is no "magic". I would say what they have are superpowers.

Ecchi annoys me because it makes it seem like the story isnt attention-grabbing enough on its own. I can put up with it in small doses I guess. Anywho, the story just bored me. I didnt care to know what happened next or anything. Ill probably give it a few more episodes but yeah.
Mar 17, 2013 2:14 AM

Sep 2012
acyanidesurprise said:

Ecchi annoys me because it makes it seem like the story isnt attention-grabbing enough on its own. I can put up with it in small doses I guess. Anywho, the story just bored me. I didnt care to know what happened next or anything. Ill probably give it a few more episodes but yeah.

Understandable. Then, what's an example of an interesting story from you personal perspective?
Mar 17, 2013 2:15 AM

Oct 2012
Psycho pass but no dubs though... yet. It's officially subbed by Funimation, so who knows? It has a likely chance.

I'd say Madoka Magica, but it has magic.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Mar 17, 2013 2:21 AM

Jan 2013
CLYDESDALE said:
acyanidesurprise said:

Understandable. Then, what's an example of an interesting story from you personal perspective?

Cowboy Bebop, Darker Than Black, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Durarara, Steins;Gate, Deadman Wonderland, anything by Miyazaki, & pretty much anything i rated 7 or higher. Preferable not the 7s though because those were just barely interesting enough to convince me to watch them without completely regretting it.
Mar 17, 2013 2:25 AM

Mar 2008
yeah I think you'd like psycho-pass, though I'm not that fond of the latter episodes now, the beginning till middle is awesome..

maybe also Zetsuen no Tempest
Mar 17, 2013 2:32 AM

Sep 2012
acyanidesurprise said:

Cowboy Bebop, Darker Than Black, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Durarara, Steins;Gate, Deadman Wonderland, anything by Miyazaki, & pretty much anything i rated 7 or higher. Preferable not the 7s though because those were just barely interesting enough to convince me to watch them without completely regretting it.

Well, yeah... I saw your list and I read the description in your first post. What I'm trying to ask is what exactly made those stories interesting? Otherwise I could just do this...

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1/Cowboy_Bebop/userrecs - A comprehensive list of user recommendations that relate to Cowboy Bebop.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/2025/Darker_than_Black:_Kuro_no_Keiyakusha/userrecs - A comprehensive list of user recommendations that relate to Darker than Black.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6880/Deadman_Wonderland/userrecs - A comprehensive list of user recommendations that related to Deadman Wonderland.

Etc, etc, etc...
Mar 17, 2013 2:50 AM

Jan 2013
CLYDESDALE said:
acyanidesurprise said:

Well, yeah... I saw your list and I read the description in your first post. What I'm trying to ask is what exactly made those stories interesting? Otherwise I could just do this...

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1/Cowboy_Bebop/userrecs - A comprehensive list of user recommendations that relate to Cowboy Bebop.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/2025/Darker_than_Black:_Kuro_no_Keiyakusha/userrecs - A comprehensive list of user recommendations that relate to Darker than Black.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6880/Deadman_Wonderland/userrecs - A comprehensive list of user recommendations that related to Deadman Wonderland.

Etc, etc, etc...

Ive already searched those & couldnt really find anything that interested me. Any suggestions that are dubbed, action, & a bit of romance that isnt on my PTW already?
Mar 17, 2013 3:10 AM

Oct 2012
Fate/Zero
Mar 17, 2013 3:18 AM

Aug 2009
acyanidesurprise said:
Action, dubs, a bit of romance, a few funny parts wouldnt hurt, good animation (2005 and up preferably), character development, psychological aspects are a plus, & a dark vibe would be nice.

DISLIKES:
Mechs, ecchi, childish animes (naruto, one piece, etc), magic (a bit of seemingly magical powers doesnt hurt. No DBZs though. DTB did it right.)

Fate/Zero has a few action scenes(for a 25ep series) but they are really well done,no romance,no funny parts(maybe some Rider & Waver scenes are funny)outstanding animation(2011-2012),char development, psychological aspects(depends on the viewer I guess),dark.

No mechs,ecchi,childish,the whole setting is basically about magic/supernatural but not the main thing about it.

It doesnt have a dub yet but it is on the way.
Writer is Urobuchi Gen the one behind Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom.
natssuu said:
Fate/Zero
Beat me to it
Mar 17, 2013 4:24 AM
Mar 2013
D.Gray-Man has an amazingly dark "vibe" although it does have a rather high amount of supernatural powers. Romance isn't one of it's strong points either. I would definitely recommend this, as it has a great overall concept

Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) has vibrant colours but don't let it fool you. It's one of the most distressing and ruthless anime I have watched. Generally about a timid boy who gets dragged into a death game.

Blood+ (Blood Plus) has great action and gore without too much "magic". Once again romance is not this animes strong point. Lots of monster hunting if you're up for it.

Shingeki No Kyojin (Attack On Titan) isn't airing yet but should be sometime this year. The manga was enjoyable with decent action. The thing I loved about the manga is the fact that many of the side characters were killed off, since if the anime were reality that would really happen.

I'm not too sure on the dubs of these (I'm a subber).
One day I will have an awesome signature. One day.
Mar 17, 2013 12:32 PM
Mar 2013
Code Breaker
Mar 17, 2013 1:05 PM

Sep 2012
kara no kyoukai
"Im feeling it tonight roflcopterskatesbbq"
Mar 17, 2013 1:29 PM

Mar 2011
AaobaChan said:
kara no kyoukai

^This. Although it may seem a bit boring at first, but it's definitely worth the watch, the plot is great, the animation is great, plus the 'philosophical debates/arguments' is really top notch.
Mar 17, 2013 2:11 PM
Oct 2012
CLYDESDALE said:
A comprehensive list of user recommendations that relate.

The funny thing about those "comprehensive list's" is that they always seem to lead back to the same group of animes. Of all the animes I've seen it always appears that the animes which are recommended are always the most popular. Perhaps half the time the recommended anime doesn't appear to have any resemblance to primary anime.

I say this because after watching 180 animes, I'm finding it very challenging to find new animes that I really like. Even more difficult to find new and excitedly unique animes, such as the anime "Read or Die". About 80% of the animes in my "Plan to Watch" and "On Hold" list are merely there because I can't find anything better. The other 20% are either still in development, waiting to be aired, or waiting to be dubbed.

Such as Fair Tail and Hellsing Ultimate.
Mar 18, 2013 1:25 AM

Jan 2013
wisetaner said:
CLYDESDALE said:
A comprehensive list of user recommendations that relate.

The funny thing about those "comprehensive list's" is that they always seem to lead back to the same group of animes. Of all the animes I've seen it always appears that the animes which are recommended are always the most popular. Perhaps half the time the recommended anime doesn't appear to have any resemblance to primary anime.

I say this because after watching 180 animes, I'm finding it very challenging to find new animes that I really like. Even more difficult to find new and excitedly unique animes, such as the anime "Read or Die". About 80% of the animes in my "Plan to Watch" and "On Hold" list are merely there because I can't find anything better. The other 20% are either still in development, waiting to be aired, or waiting to be dubbed.

Such as Fair Tail and Hellsing Ultimate.

Same here except I havent seen nearly as many animes as you have. Ive seen the ROD movie (or..Ovas?) & they were pretty cool. If you have any suggestions feel free to let me know.
Mar 18, 2013 1:57 AM

Apr 2011
acyanidesurprise said:
CLYDESDALE said:
acyanidesurprise said:

Agreed I hate ecchi too for the same reason, the only ecchi I've been tolerating is boku wa tomodachi anyway.
Hey give Blassreiter a try although I'm pretty sure you'll give it 7 below. Must say I just liked it probably because the MC kinda visually looks like Hei from DTB.
Mar 18, 2013 2:28 AM

Jan 2013
tormented210 said:

Agreed I hate ecchi too for the same reason, the only ecchi I've been tolerating is boku wa tomodachi anyway.
Hey give Blassreiter a try although I'm pretty sure you'll give it 7 below. Must say I just liked it probably because the MC kinda visually looks like Hei from DTB.

Ive considered giving it a try but theres a powerranger looking guy & a mech looking thing in the pictures which made me not want to give it a chance.
Mar 18, 2013 3:23 AM

Apr 2011
acyanidesurprise said:
tormented210 said:

Ive considered giving it a try but theres a powerranger looking guy & a mech looking thing in the pictures which made me not want to give it a chance.

Oh I completely forgot the mecha restriction! Its kinda a mecha thing yes, especially in the other half of the show. But It's more physical fighting than anything else but what I really liked in that show was the MC backstory and his cool looking "transformation", yes they transform due to a virus and also the fight scenes are all in CG if I remember well (it was 4 years ago).
There's some gore too but I have to say you may be disappointed with the ending, at least I was disappointed with the last fighting scene as for the remain episodes I would give it 8/10 the plot itself was really interesting in my opinion specially when the story gets finally focused on the true MC because he's just a mysterious character until there.
It's not really good but it's either really bad, I don't know just watch the first episode maybe? Can't remember if it is enough to resume pretty much the anime ambience.
EDIT: Just checked 1st episode and CG was bothering me a bit, maybe I were easily impressed 4 years ago don't know about you though.
EDIT2: But I still got goosebumps from the last fighting scene of the 1st episode.
TormentedMar 18, 2013 3:53 AM
Mar 18, 2013 4:30 AM

Oct 2012
acyanidesurprise said:
tormented210 said:

That isn't really opening yourself up just because of pictures, but w/e each to their own I suppose..
Mar 18, 2013 4:43 AM

Apr 2011
@ Vbyo
He just dislike mecha visuals I guess so he's supposing it will ruin his entertainment same way if I see obvious ecchi stamped in the show's images will cut all my interest.
Mar 18, 2013 4:53 AM

Oct 2012
tormented210 said:
@ Vbyo
He just dislike mecha visuals I guess so he's supposing it will ruin his entertainment same way if I see obvious ecchi stamped in the show's images will cut all my interest.

Fair enough, I understand that, I'm just a person that watches practically any genre, so someone looking at a picture and going mhm no thank you, is judging a book by its a cover.
Watched many shows with hidden genre'.
Mar 18, 2013 5:36 AM

Apr 2011
vbyo said:
tormented210 said:
@ Vbyo

Fair enough, I understand that, I'm just a person that watches practically any genre, so someone looking at a picture and going mhm no thank you, is judging a book by its a cover.

I lie, I still gave a chance to boku wa tomodachi and I liked it, but it's the only ecchi that I can say liked so far after dropping dozens of ecchi.
Shuffle! And ZnT went horrible for me for an example, High School of the Dead I could care less it's watchable but the remaining ecchi I saw I dropped them and didn't even bothered to add them in my list.
Mar 18, 2013 11:14 PM

Jan 2013
tormented210 said:
vbyo said:
tormented210 said:
@ Vbyo

I lie, I still gave a chance to boku wa tomodachi and I liked it, but it's the only ecchi that I can say liked so far after dropping dozens of ecchi.
Shuffle! And ZnT went horrible for me for an example, High School of the Dead I could care less it's watchable but the remaining ecchi I saw I dropped them and didn't even bothered to add them in my list.

Just to clarify ive seen a lot of animes with ecchi stuff & with mech stuff. Im almost never interested in mech fights & always annoyed by ecchi. When checking out a anime on here it sometimes doesnt tell you all of its genre so you sort of have to figure it out by reading the synopsis & viewing the pictures (or just going to wikipedia but that takes so much more effort). The pictures had a mech in it which makes me think it has a lot of mech battles which I dont care for. Not that that always effects the actual story so in some cases I would still give it a try but im more looking for good action which mech animes usually dont deliver (in my opinion).

Also, I hate when you remember an anime that you watched years ago to be real cool then rewatch it & end up disappointed. If Witch Hunter Robin is a anime you enjoyed as a child I suggest you leave it in your childhood. :/
Mar 19, 2013 8:01 PM

Apr 2011
acyanidesurprise said:
tormented210 said:
vbyo said:
tormented210 said:
@ Vbyo

Just to clarify ive seen a lot of animes with ecchi stuff & with mech stuff. Im almost never interested in mech fights & always annoyed by ecchi. When checking out a anime on here it sometimes doesnt tell you all of its genre so you sort of have to figure it out by reading the synopsis & viewing the pictures (or just going to wikipedia but that takes so much more effort). The pictures had a mech in it which makes me think it has a lot of mech battles which I dont care for. Not that that always effects the actual story so in some cases I would still give it a try but im more looking for good action which mech animes usually dont deliver (in my opinion).

Also, I hate when you remember an anime that you watched years ago to be real cool then rewatch it & end up disappointed. If Witch Hunter Robin is a anime you enjoyed as a child I suggest you leave it in your childhood. :/

I didn't said that I was disappointed with Blassreiter, I said I was disappointed with the last fighting scene ± ending, and I said the CG was bothering me a bit when I rewatched it, was a minor thing though. I still recommend it for the action, it has no mecha, it's only mecha looking so the mecha feeling is lost because you know that's a virus outbreak from the very beginning. The fight scenes are all mostly melee, what can ruin you enjoyment is the CG action. I was almost 19 when I watched blassreiter and liked it so no childhood issue there. Don't know if you gave Witch Hunter Robin as a example because I didn't even knew what that was until I checked Wiki.
Anyway just give Blassreiter 1st episode a try if you still searching for such anime genre.
TormentedMar 19, 2013 8:09 PM
Mar 19, 2013 8:26 PM
Mar 20, 2013 1:39 AM

Jan 2013
tormented210 said:
acyanidesurprise said:
tormented210 said:
vbyo said:
tormented210 said:
@ Vbyo

I didn't said that I was disappointed with Blassreiter, I said I was disappointed with the last fighting scene ± ending, and I said the CG was bothering me a bit when I rewatched it, was a minor thing though. I still recommend it for the action, it has no mecha, it's only mecha looking so the mecha feeling is lost because you know that's a virus outbreak from the very beginning. The fight scenes are all mostly melee, what can ruin you enjoyment is the CG action. I was almost 19 when I watched blassreiter and liked it so no childhood issue there. Don't know if you gave Witch Hunter Robin as a example because I didn't even knew what that was until I checked Wiki.
Anyway just give Blassreiter 1st episode a try if you still searching for such anime genre.

Alright will do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Seen it. Weak. :/
Mar 20, 2013 1:47 AM

Oct 2012
Fate zero / Fate stay Night are also good, I don't know if they have been suggested or not.

I'd watch them if you decide to Stay night > Fate zero.
Mar 20, 2013 3:17 AM

Aug 2009
vbyo said:
Fate zero / Fate stay Night are also good, I don't know if they have been suggested or not.

I'd watch them if you decide to Stay night > Fate zero.

Dont watch Fate/Stay night,just Fate/Zero.
I would suggest reading the VN of FSN like usual but I highly doubt that OP will give it a try.
Mar 20, 2013 5:04 AM

May 2011
D.Gray-Man? http://www.dubhappy.eu/anime/d-gray-man/
Rave Master? http://www.dubhappy.eu/anime/rave-master/
Samurai Champloo? http://www.dubhappy.eu/anime/samurai-champloo/

Favorite Anime: Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Gundam 00, Fate/Stay Night, Death Note.
Favorite Manga: Naruto, Fairy Tail, Hunter x Hunter
Mar 21, 2013 12:19 AM

Jan 2013

Ive heard they rushed the ending of D Gray Man making it disappointing, Rave Master doesnt look like what im looking for, & ive seen Champloo.

More topics from this board

» I have read and watched so many reincarnated OP MC and 99.99% of them are focus on magic and non-magic is pretty much useless, but is plot with latter actually exist?

aLotQuestion_ - Apr 10

14 by nishant0 »»
1 hour ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

9 by Chisuku »»
2 hours ago

» Recommendations for manga with very close relationships

kamui_susanoo - Yesterday

3 by JKKH »»
3 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - 7 hours ago

1 by Jonas-K »»
3 hours ago

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

9 by iamnottesslol »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.