54.0%
Yaoi
19.1%
Neither
14.1%
I like both
12.8%
524 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 9, 2013 9:27 AM

Sep 2011
Kezone said:
I'm female and I prefer yaoi, but I don't really have a problem with yuri, it's just not really something I'd go and look for.

Honestly though, I dislike most of the hardcore stuff, so it's technically shonen-ai (and shoujo-ai) that I like.

For the record, I only ships things that I can see subtext for. Like say, I despise Shizaya because I love DRRR and have read all of the translated novels, watched the anime several times, and I, who is always on the lookout for yaoi-subtext, see absolutely nothing. And the entire DRRR fandom is filled with delusional Shizaya shippers--- I'll stop there, but I could rant over that fanmade-pairing forever.

If you wish to avoid the hardcore stuff then just avoid the ones tagged as "Smut" in Bakaupdates, there are only a handful, do try also to avoid the ones tagged "adult" or "mature", but those usually aren't really explicit and are fairly censored, and the pages with those content are so few that it wouldn't really bother you. just an advice for when you want to look something up to read :p

Well, i don't mean to offend anyone but most BL fangirls are delusional, and they look for the slightest clue of connection between two male characters and turn it into a shipfest, i'm sure many of you aren't like that, but that's the sad truth, however i do understand that there might be some subtext in a few anime, for example in Kuroshitsuji, the vibes are too strong that even someone who has no interest in Yaoi or Yuri can kind of notice it.
Mar 9, 2013 6:49 PM

Feb 2013
Shiveron said:
Man MAL's mods sure do like being dicktators. Wasn't even any nudity in my post. Fuckin killjoys...

I see what u did there...

I find Yaoi kinda disturbing, so if I really had to choose, I'd go with Yuri, though normally I'd say STRAIGHT FTW!

Mar 9, 2013 7:39 PM

Apr 2012
I'm a lesbian, so of course yuri. I tend to stay away from fans of yaoi because I don't appreciate homosexuality being fetishized, and I find this a lot more with yaoi fans than yuri fans, but I'll watch some boy-love if it's cute and the relationship has substance.
u gay
Mar 9, 2013 7:39 PM
Jul 2012
yuri
Mar 9, 2013 8:06 PM

Mar 2013
Am I the only one who's surprised that yuri is dominating this poll? I guess yaoi seems a lot more common..?
Mar 9, 2013 8:28 PM

Nov 2010
TwixstedPixies said:
Am I the only one who's surprised that yuri is dominating this poll? I guess yaoi seems a lot more common..?
Most of the users on this site are probably guys who don't really watch those genres. But if they had to pick then they would pick yuri. So no it's not really surprising to me.
Mar 9, 2013 8:28 PM

Jul 2012
Neither, but if I was forced to watch one, it'd be Yaoi.
Mar 11, 2013 6:41 AM

Mar 2013
I love me some Yaoi, but I can get into yuri if I like the characters
Mar 11, 2013 7:26 AM
Mar 11, 2013 8:58 AM

Sep 2012
TwixstedPixies said:

It seems like that because fujoshis are too loud.
Mar 11, 2013 9:04 AM

Sep 2008
I choose neither, but if i had to choose one, i go with both. Doesnt matter to me.
Mar 11, 2013 9:32 AM

Mar 2011
It'll be neither for me as well. But, if forced to pick one or the other, I'll be a little more accommodating to and a tad more comfortable with yuri than yaoi.
Mar 11, 2013 9:37 AM

Sep 2010
I'm fine with both, but prefer BL more.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 11, 2013 10:21 AM

Nov 2012
Hetero is boring, yuri all the way, disgusts yaoi tho.

Yuri > straight > anything > Yaoi

Buy hey thats just me :)
Mar 11, 2013 11:05 AM

Oct 2012
Well that is a way to ask people's sexuality, as a straight man I'd of course choose Yuri, though haven't seen any. But if people know good ones, I might check 'em out. New genres are always welcome.
Mar 11, 2013 11:16 AM

Jun 2012
I am not fan of any, but Yuri is better.
Mar 11, 2013 11:19 AM

Sep 2012
I prefer Yuru Yuri.
Mar 11, 2013 11:31 AM

Aug 2012
MysticJhn said:
I prefer Yuru Yuri.

"Cheer up".. weirdest thing. I just saw that episode a few minutes ago
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Mar 11, 2013 11:48 AM

Aug 2012
I prefer yaoi. I like shounen ai better though. I tried yuri once, but I hated it. I feel unconftorable and it annoys me. I'm female l _ l
LiaevesMar 11, 2013 1:14 PM
Mar 11, 2013 12:10 PM

Sep 2011
TwixstedPixies said:

as someone already mentioned before, Yaoi fans are "loud", and vocal about their hobbies, unlike Yuri fans, that and Yuri seems to be generally more acceptable than Yaoi, though most people who aren't a fan of neither would still go with Yuri if they had to pick one. thing is, somehow even in real life, Lesbians get more tolerance than Gay men, though for me it doesn't make a difference.

IntroverTurtle said:
Most of the users on this site are probably guys who don't really watch those genres. But if they had to pick then they would pick yuri. So no it's not really surprising to me.

That's far from being the case, the number of each gender seems balanced to me, infact at some point i thought there were more female members on this site than male members, and it could be. it's just that Yuri's fandom consists of both male and female, Yaoi's fandom consists of mostly female, it's rare to find a male yaoi fan, and that explains why Yuri is dominating the poll, of the people who would choose between Yuri and Yaoi (that includes non-Yaoi/Yuri fans), Yuri would lead the numbers by a large gap.

Hope i cleared up somethings for people who're confused lol
Downgrade355Mar 11, 2013 12:16 PM
Mar 11, 2013 12:42 PM

Mar 2013
Downgrade355 said:
TwixstedPixies said:

as someone already mentioned before, Yaoi fans are "loud", and vocal about their hobbies, unlike Yuri fans, that and Yuri seems to be generally more acceptable than Yaoi, though most people who aren't a fan of neither would still go with Yuri if they had to pick one. thing is, somehow even in real life, Lesbians get more tolerance than Gay men, though for me it doesn't make a difference.

IntroverTurtle said:

That's far from being the case, the number of each gender seems balanced to me, infact at some point i thought there were more female members on this site than male members, and it could be. it's just that Yuri's fandom consists of both male and female, Yaoi's fandom consists of mostly female, it's rare to find a male yaoi fan, and that explains why Yuri is dominating the poll, of the people who would choose between Yuri and Yaoi (that includes non-Yaoi/Yuri fans), Yuri would lead the numbers by a large gap.

Hope i cleared up somethings for people who're confused lol

Also you gotta take into consideration the "both" column. I am a male and a die hard yaoi fan, but I do love the stories of yuri too. From the fan girls I chat with online, their is a nice segment of them who likes yuri too, they are just more vocal about yaoi. So votes that would of gone to yaoi instead went to the both column

most men though, including gay men, do not like yaoi cause, too quote my friend

"its just...too gay..."

So the majority of the male vote is going to go yuri or nothing, especially since Bara isn't in the list.

I am fine with being a minority in this though, I know what I like and I am not going to hide it.
Mar 11, 2013 12:55 PM

Sep 2011
@Robbase231
Though Yuri still has more than the Yaoi and Both column combined.
Yaoi fangirls are generally vocal, but like i said, the general number of people who'd pick Yuri is far higher than Yaoi.

Bara doesn't really have to be on the list though since there is very few of those.
Mar 11, 2013 1:01 PM
Feb 2013
danmari said:
That said, MAL forums are predominantly male, and yaoi fans tend to have much less of a problem with yuri than some yuri fans have with yaoi, so they're more likely to vote "both". I'll be surprised if yuri won't lead the poll by a clear margin.

Oh, I was very surprised to see that yuri leads the poll, but this explains it!! On all other forums/communities I've seen, yaoi has been far more popular, and yes, I was aware that it was because I was talking to mostly straight girls.

I voted "both" because I am currently watching my first ever yuri anime so I don't have a lot to build an opinion on. But I have seen a few yaoi that I enjoyed... And also some that I thoroughly disliked, but that's because the plots were based on the "rape is love" storyline (you know, when Character A says "stop, it hurts" and Character B takes it to mean "omg yes!"... this annoys and upsets me), not because I have a problem with male homosexuality. I am a lesbian, though. And it wasn't until I found MAL that I also found recommendations for good yuri. :)
Mar 11, 2013 1:03 PM

Jun 2008
Why not both?
Mar 11, 2013 1:11 PM

Mar 2013
I like them both, but since I'm a girl im more into yaoi but i gotta love that shounen-ai more :p
Mar 11, 2013 1:11 PM

Sep 2012
I prefer Cholera!
Mar 11, 2013 1:19 PM

Sep 2011
lily_b said:

Oh, I was very surprised to see that yuri leads the poll, but this explains it!! On all other forums/communities I've seen, yaoi has been far more popular, and yes, I was aware that it was because I was talking to mostly straight girls.

I voted "both" because I am currently watching my first ever yuri anime so I don't have a lot to build an opinion on. But I have seen a few yaoi that I enjoyed... And also some that I thoroughly disliked, but that's because the plots were based on the "rape is love" storyline (you know, when Character A says "stop, it hurts" and Character B takes it to mean "omg yes!"... this annoys and upsets me), not because I have a problem with male homosexuality. I am a lesbian, though. And it wasn't until I found MAL that I also found recommendations for good yuri. :)

I explained this over and over again, The forums are not predominantly male, they are balanced, and there is no need to be surprised because Yuri is leading the poll, i explained it in one of my recents posts but i'll explain it again, Yaoi fangirls are "vocal", meaning they make it known, unlike Yuri fans, Yuri is generally more acceptable so if the general audience had to choose they'd go with Yuri.
Mar 11, 2013 1:43 PM

Dec 2012
Yaoi.
Insert wise quote here
Mar 11, 2013 3:16 PM

Jan 2013
I am fan of all kind of forbiden romance animes so i gues i like bout but i never realy watched any Yaoi anime and i watched few good yuri animes and as a strait man i surly prefer yuri.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Mar 11, 2013 3:27 PM

Jun 2007
I picked both, though for the yaoi I would only go for traps.
Mar 11, 2013 3:53 PM

Sep 2011
Leondre said:
I picked both, though for the yaoi I would only go for traps.

Then that's not Yaoi, cuz traps are...well traps lol
Mar 11, 2013 4:29 PM

Jun 2011
Not a fan of either, but if I had to choose I would go with yuri. 'Cause you know, boobs are great.
Mar 11, 2013 4:37 PM
Feb 2013
i'm also not a big fan of either. but i would prefer yuri over yaoi (i'm a male).
Mar 16, 2013 6:14 PM

May 2012
Yuri for sure!! It's adorabletastic~

(guy here)
Mar 16, 2013 6:33 PM

Apr 2010
Yuri for me. I never watched nor will ever watch yaoi. (yup guy here :3 )
Mar 16, 2013 8:20 PM

Feb 2010
Yes.
Mar 16, 2013 10:12 PM
Feb 2013
I'm female and I like both, but I find Yaoi is normally better made.
Mar 16, 2013 10:15 PM

Mar 2013
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Yes.

No
Someday soon the novelty of your personality will wear off and people will see you for the bore that you really are
Mar 16, 2013 10:22 PM

Feb 2012
Yaoi, although generally i cut back on it after a while to read a bunch of Shounen-ai before heading back into it again.
I can only handle so much male dick. /female

Nothing against Yuri, but as a straight female i have no interest in looking at boobs.
I get enough of that forbidden love aspect between females from regular manga.
Mar 16, 2013 10:33 PM

Jul 2012
Can't stand Yaoi (not that there's anything wrong with 'that') but can somewhat tolerate Yuri so my vote goes Yuri.
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

Mar 16, 2013 10:48 PM

Sep 2012
I have no complaints about yuri. As for yaoi, it can make me laugh in a sort of hipsterish way. But I don't usually watch it as it doesn't exactly match my tastes.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
May 8, 2013 9:38 PM
Feb 2012
I like yuri =] its sweet, affectionate its shows that the little details count.. like the touch of hands, and all that.. Kannazuki no Miko, Sasameki Koto, Aoi Hana, etc are really cute, funny, sweet and awesome XD I can also relate more to the characters, cuz girls think too much sometimes and lol I can definitely relate to that haha

I havent watched many yaoi.. I don't really like them, I find them somewhat boring and too sexual most of the time.. and the relationships aren't very monogamic... like gakuen heaven for example.. but I kinda liked gravitation..

I voted yuri, I am female
May 8, 2013 9:38 PM

Sep 2011
Normal romance! But if I had to choose, yuri obviously.
May 8, 2013 9:44 PM

Jun 2012
As a slightly heterosexual man, I'll go ahead and admit Yaoi does tickle my fancy a little more, well way more.
May 8, 2013 9:49 PM

Dec 2010
Yaoi all the way man.

May 8, 2013 9:52 PM

Nov 2010
I like both, but lately I've been liking yaoi more.
May 8, 2013 9:52 PM

Dec 2012
Well this is a quality thread. In response to your question: NO.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 8, 2013 10:02 PM

May 2013
May 8, 2013 10:06 PM

Dec 2012
On an off topic note: what's my avatar? I'm trying to change it, but I don't think it's working. I figure it might just be my computer/account/internet fucking up and it looks different for other people.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 8, 2013 10:07 PM

Jun 2012
Aeliana said:

We do have both

Yaoi is just better.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 12 seconds ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
12 seconds ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

52 by Dumb »»
18 seconds ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

87 by Shirayukin »»
47 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 11 minutes ago

2 by Dumb »»
4 minutes ago

» Have you tried to rewatch your old childhood anime shows as a more conscious anime fan?

RobertBobert - 10 hours ago

17 by ColourWheel »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.