Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 15, 2013 9:45 AM

Mar 2011

That's the main point. If you re-read my first post in this topic, you'll see that everything started from my personal request to distinguish "Chaos;Head anime", because, whatever the reason, anime is much, much worse than the original work on which it's based. I just outlined how bad anime is and how good original work is and asked to stop consider them for one and the same.
There wasn't any subtext, covert attempt to interest someone in the VN or something of that kind.

And, sorry, but I don't really get your links.
I mean, I know all of that stuff already and don't quite understand what exactly it has to do with adaptation of a work (which is already has all of it's research, continuity and etc) into something hardly watchable, achieving this effect exactly by removing all the research and continuity from the "based-on" work? And there even was a reason for that. This reason is a strict frames of tv-shows in japan, which usually doesn't allow a tv-show to be outside of a 12,13,22,24,26,50... -episode format.
For such thing like adaptation of a game, at least.
FinjasMar 15, 2013 10:20 AM

Mar 15, 2013 10:47 AM

Jan 2013
Fair enough, Finjas.
I think for the most part we agree.
My impression was that our views on 'disparate'/'cohesive' works are different- even if (or especially if) the media formats are different (VN vs Anime). My secondary point on continuity is that 'stuff missing' from the anime (landing gear) is apparently actually in the VN (Thanks Kansokusha)
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=567637&show=140#msg20607803
but they overlooked including it in the anime, though it's kinda a little important. (one example of continuity)

I'm not saying the Chaos;Head anime isn't inferior to the original VN- but you did state "Really, at least say that you mean a Chaos;Head-anime, not the whole Chaos;Head title"- which is not something that really makes as much sense as 'Really, at least say that you mean a Chaos;Head-VN, not the Chaos;Head anime'- because like it or not, I think most people will be talking about the anime by default- inferior or otherwise. For R;N- it's almost a given since the VN is still japanese only. If I interpreted this as more than you meant, I apologize.
As for the links- In addition to making more solid initial projects, they can (if they wanted) strengthen their title by 'fleshing out'- or even retconnig their works in respect to 'found issues- instead of making more by sticking to their guns and bad editing.
As for episode format- this is a 'rushed' 22, where basically everything after about 17 gets squashed into 5 episodes of sudden plot twists, exposition and resolution. The robot speech and confessions taking as much time as each did aside, 30 hours of gameplay squished into 7 hours of anime- and apparently the final conflict (which we have no real clue what it'll really be or how it'll be handled) will fit into the last episode?

Things I expect have been dropped:
Gamer mind control resolution
Frau hacking/anything explanation
Frau's mom resolution
Monopole explanation
Mizuka (revenge/tribute)
Robotic device/control patch
Noah IV actual purpose explanation
Subaru family/anything explanation
etc.

I have no idea how much of this was covered (or not more likely) by the VN, but this could have easily been a 2 season anime- and would probably been even better as one, though clearly it is what it is for 'good reasons' I am unaware of.
If you aren't watching Zetsuen no Tempest (Civilization Blaster), you should be. Brilliant writing with legit plot twists.

Just finished blog entry 'Japanese Authors Take Heed' Series (JATH)! Entry 03: Proactive Villains, Reactionary Heroes'.
Mar 15, 2013 11:10 AM

Mar 2011
Such reason could be, for example, that even in one-season anime 16 episodes was a slice-of life with sci-fi inclusions, that seemed pretty off.
Two seasons would be a very unreasonable from producers' point of view. It would be unprofitable, I suppose. Especially after Steins;gate, with people waiting another thrilling story. I think, most of them would be disappointed even more if there would be nothing significant in the plot for the whole 22 episodes of first season.

About that list of dropped things, I know for sure that there was a monopole explanation (thanks to Kansokusha again, well) and Subaru family issues resolution (that's from VN itself).
It should be placed in 20th epsiode, right after Akiho's speech.
If iI understood everything correctly, Subaru's father was afraid that his son will become a successful... eeeh... robot-scientist? and leave him.
Subaru's love for robots was the result of his Father's gift, when Subaru was a child. Something like a toy-robot.
Again, not quite sure how much of this is true, since my Japanese skills are very unreliable.
FinjasMar 15, 2013 11:14 AM

Mar 15, 2013 11:23 AM

Sep 2012
Finjas said:
Again, not quite sure how much of this is true, since my Japanese skills are very unreliable.
Do you mean you know a Japanese link for the explanations about things in R;N ? Do you mind sharing it as I speak Japanese. I can translate if I find anything interesting there.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 15, 2013 11:50 AM

Mar 2011
symbv said:
Finjas said:
Do you mean you know a Japanese link for the explanations about things in R;N ? Do you mind sharing it as I speak Japanese. I can translate if I find anything interesting there.

No, that's from a video-walkthrough of main route of VN from Youtube. 40+ hours, so...
Still, there is a scene with Subaru and his father - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmMuaWW7wpk&feature=player_detailpage#t=2475s

Mar 15, 2013 1:11 PM

Jan 2013
Finjas said:

Ah- interesting! Thanks for that!
If you aren't watching Zetsuen no Tempest (Civilization Blaster), you should be. Brilliant writing with legit plot twists.

Just finished blog entry 'Japanese Authors Take Heed' Series (JATH)! Entry 03: Proactive Villains, Reactionary Heroes'.
Mar 15, 2013 10:47 PM

Jun 2011
Just rushed through the Airi part in the VN. Kimijima has the gun pointed at Airi from the very beginning. It seems that he's not trying to stop Kai and Co from returning to Tanegashima, he's trying to break them. And Kai and Akiho did actually closing in the position of Airi slowly. Following are some dialogues from Kimijima right after he revealed his original death and before Aki's speech.

Could anyone withstand the things Kimijima said? We are talking about the hot-blooded, genki Akiho here. Kimijima is such a bastard.

And what Kimijima did after Aki had her speech puts his anime counterpart to shame. Utterly sinister.

The anime adaptation is a mess. Hanada can go to hell. They have cut a great chuck of story in episode 21 too regarding Airi, Geji-nee and Kimijima. I'll talk about it later.
KansokushaMar 16, 2013 1:47 AM
Mar 15, 2013 11:13 PM
Feb 2013
Kansokusha said:
Just rushed through the Airi part in the VN. Kimijima has the gun pointed at Airi from the very beginning. It seems that he's not trying to stop Kai and Co from returning to Tanegashima, he's trying to break them. And Kai and Akiho did actually closing in the position of Airi slowly. Following are some dialogues from Kimijima right after he revealed his original death and before Aki's speech.

Could anyone withstand the things Kimijima said? We are talking about the hot-blooded, genki Akiho here. Kimijima is such a bastard.

And what Kimijima did after Aki had her speech puts his anime counterpart to shame. Utterly sinister.

The anime adaptation is a mess. Hanada can go to hell. They have cut a great chuck of story in episode 21 too regarding Airi, Geji-nee and Kimijima. I'll talk about it later.

Thanks for that.
So even the VN had the parrot saving Airi!
Reading this makes me want to read the VN so much more.
Mar 16, 2013 6:18 AM

Dec 2011
Airi's gun scene could've been better. Liked the episode.
This union.

何も期待するな//list//twitter//osu//
Mar 16, 2013 6:23 AM

Sep 2012
Finjas said:
symbv said:

No, that's from a video-walkthrough of main route of VN from Youtube. 40+ hours, so...
I see. So youtube actually has all these many hours of walkthrough of the VN !! I wonder if you know where the explanation of monopole may lie? Besides the Subaru and his dad, this is one I most want to find out more from the VN.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 16, 2013 6:32 AM

Mar 2011
symbv said:
Finjas said:
symbv said:

I see. So youtube actually has all these many hours of walkthrough of the VN !! I wonder if you know where the explanation of monopole may lie? Besides the Subaru and his dad, this is one I most want to find out more from the VN.

Monopole explanation is in the very beginning of Phase 05.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWozSx7T3k8

Mar 16, 2013 8:02 AM

Sep 2012
Finjas said:
Wasted 6 min in listening to explanation of what is monopole, why monopole is not possible according to Maxwell's Equation, basics of magnetism and phase change due to Curie Temperature etc etc. But at least after that I got the explanation: Monopole can exist if the Maxwell Equation is rewritten in another form (but how it did not mention, presumably because Kai stopped Deji-ne from continuing) and the monopoles were created because of radiation sent by the EGI system to outer atmosphere which is an experiment by the "master" and is successful only very recently after almost 3000 failed attempts (apparently one key reason why it finally succeeded is because of Kai's doing the open-and-shut action of the antenna as part of the required tasks he needed to accomplish to get the Kimijima Report)

Mar 16, 2013 8:10 AM

Mar 2011
symbv said:
Finjas said:
Wasted 6 min in listening to explanation of what is monopole, why monopole is not possible according to Maxwell's Equation, basics of magnetism and phase change due to Curie Temperature etc etc. But at least after that I got the explanation: Monopole can exist if the Maxwell Equation is rewritten in another form (but how it did not mention, presumably because Kai stopped Deji-ne from continuing) and the monopoles were created because of radiation sent by the EGI system to outer atmosphere which is an experiment by the "master" and is successful only very recently after almost 3000 failed attempts (apparently one key reason why it finally succeeded is because of Kai's doing the open-and-shut action of the antenna as part of the required tasks he needed to accomplish to get the Kimijima Report)

Well, yeah. I know. This is what distinguishes science fiction from fantasy. Technobabble.

Mar 16, 2013 10:35 AM

Jan 2013
Kansokusha said:

Considering this, I have no idea why they made the changes they did. Time? Whatever...

Mar 16, 2013 10:47 AM

Jan 2013
Finjas said:

Well, yeah. I know. This is what distinguishes science fiction from fantasy. Technobabble.

In one sense you're right- but I'd specify that the 'babble' part is crucial to 'bad fantasy' more than 'fantasy'. A fantastic world can have solid, non-'earth science', but still 'scientific' rules- I also think in most cases, the better an effort at making these rules and sticking to them, the better the story can be. Setting limits- even in fantasy, and having to overcome them is always critical component of a good story. Not too many examples of really good 'alternate science' exist, but probably (mostly) S;G, Stargate, and some Outer Limits/X-Files I think come close. Even some fantasy can qualify if you don't enforce the 'magic isn't science' rule too strongly- so Harry Potter and Naruto I think both make fairly cohesive worlds- well, attempt it anyway.
Steins;Gate really impressed me with how much effort they put into 'normalizing' the 'science'- yes- it's introduction was random, but it was still handled (more or less) scientifically through experimentation, observation & refinement. R;N (anime) just unloaded crap in your lap- then ignored the pieces unless it needed them for a scene or two. I still can't believe Noah IV will just be a trauma inducer for Kai. Well- we'll see anyway.

Mar 16, 2013 12:11 PM

Jun 2011
bloggbigg said:
Kansokusha said:

Considering this, I have no idea why they made the changes they did. Time? Whatever...

Ohahahaha, time is surely one of the factors, but Hanada is handling the last few episodes. Ouch.

And I just heard some rumors about Kimijima, well, the human Kimijima that is. The content itself is not mentioned in the VN iirc, so I gotta verify if its from other supplementary materials. If it's true, oh god, Kimijima can rival even Okabe in terms of character depth.
Mar 16, 2013 2:21 PM

Mar 2011
Kansokusha said:
bloggbigg said:
Kansokusha said:

Ohahahaha, time is surely one of the factors, but Hanada is handling the last few episodes. Ouch.

And I just heard some rumors about Kimijima, well, the human Kimijima that is. The content itself is not mentioned in the VN iirc, so I gotta verify if its from other supplementary materials. If it's true, oh god, Kimijima can rival even Okabe in terms of character depth.

Hey, don't just stop talking after such an intriguing sentence!

Mar 16, 2013 4:52 PM

Jul 2008
This series lately also has 'hopefulness' besides just depressing parts I haven't seen in the other semicolon series. I like it.

Mar 16, 2013 10:13 PM

Jun 2011
Finjas said:
Kansokusha said:
bloggbigg said:
Kansokusha said:

Hey, don't just stop talking after such an intriguing sentence!

Just verified it. Rumor has that Kimijima was a good person and the AI is just a perverted version of his former self. But it's fake. The prelude novel "Senomiya Misaki's Unpublished Notes" piants Kimijima as a worse monster than his AI self. Thought that maybe he still has some redeem value. Guess not.
KansokushaMar 17, 2013 1:16 AM
Mar 17, 2013 5:28 AM

Dec 2010
My vision of Misa changes each episode -.- I guess that Misa didn't kill Mizuki, but Kimijima controlled her to her death.

Also the ending of this episode felt a bit cheesy with all the island inhabitants coming to help, but I guess it can't be helped. At least Subaru and Jun are back in the game, the show just didn't feel complete without them.

Frau's lines were priceless this episode xD "WTF"
MeritasMar 17, 2013 5:33 AM
Mar 17, 2013 9:40 AM

Sep 2011
i found aki's speech somewhat odd tbh that wasn't really the right moment to talk about robots

also are you kidding me? just when the tension was high that bird came and kicked that gun away? lol.
Mar 17, 2013 9:50 PM

Jan 2013
Thanks Finjas & Kansokusha for all the infos! I'm hoping for a R;N engsub I guess- or a pc ver w/lang patch. I may do the C;H that way if I can make the time.

Mar 22, 2013 12:11 PM

Jan 2013
poor Misaki ;(
Mar 23, 2013 7:09 PM

May 2011
Its good and bad to see Misaki like this. Good being that she's doing this not outta own will and bad as in seeing her struggle like this :/. This episode just flipped my opinion about her 180 degrees.

Lol Aki's speech was so random and cliche but it was still cool to watch. And it was great to see that triumphant scene of everybody gathering and coming coming to the rescue.
Mar 30, 2013 8:50 AM

Mar 2008
I have really mixed feelings about this ep. Regardless of what Aki-chan said during her speech, to me it feels like all the problems started to resolve by themselves. I want to see some hero. I want some impact! So far the only real impact for me was the death of Mizu-nee which was great for a side-story-impact but now main plot looks weak compared to that. And i don't feel like upcoming gantsuku1 fight can fill the gap...
Mar 31, 2013 5:40 PM

Jul 2008
How is Kimijimi in Misaki's head? Is she like crazy? I can understand him appearing on monitors and stuff but I don't get how he can actually force her to do things. What is he threatening her with? Revealing how she murdered him to everyone? IDK.
May 18, 2013 10:51 AM

May 2012
Oh boy how epic! The speech from Akiho was so epic and the backstory on her sister was actually quite tragic! The ending really made me smile, everyone helping them and even to my big surprise even the father from Subaru! I do hope Aki's sister will get released from his power in the end! Lets see what's next!!! LETS DO THIS!
Jul 21, 2013 10:32 PM

Feb 2008
He basically is the net, how the hell would they get that video out without his knowledge and permission? Also, why did he need them to release his reports? No one knew where they came from so there wouldn't have been any difference whatsoever if he had simply released them himself at the right time.

And how the hell would they ever get the GunPro-1 battle ready? It can barely move thanks to its frame and they don't have the time or resources to completely rebuild it, regardless of the amount of unskilled labour at their disposal.

And wouldn't this super flare they're trying to create destroy the very network that gives him his immortality?

My suspension of disbelief was completely destroyed in ep 16 and this episode couldn't possibly fly without it. There's just too much lazy writing.
Oct 8, 2013 4:13 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

Stake pleasant, maybe it's Aki to exaggerate the words in the dialogues and make us think that it's all nonsense, though we think the narrative to solve the problem Frau leave more space in the second half and make us smile! Plot all in all good, too bad there are some holes that I do not understand certain circumstances. Drawing a bit subdued, is worse than the last episode. Animations good, little splatter in the episode! XD
Oct 22, 2013 4:22 AM

Jan 2011
i guess we have no choice... to save the world, we must build a robot

still not sure how everyone on the island understand so much via the video streaming

but 1 thing I am certain, that parrot/bird is needed by police force^^
Apr 12, 2014 6:00 PM

Aug 2013
Frau... always makes the best entrance.
Aug 1, 2014 9:03 AM

Apr 2014
So I'm confused whether Misaki is evil or not, I'm still a bit meh on her.
Jul 2, 2015 8:04 PM

Jun 2014
lmao "my waifu, whom I only knew in 2D, became 3D and fell from the sky."

uh okay the plane crash landing added nothing to the plot. I couldve just landed normally.

-Kimijima Kou's mind living eternally inside the Iru-O system: okay, it works the same way as Airi.
-Kimijima Kou is able to manipulate and communicate through any electronic connected to the internet: um wut? That is way far-fetched. I thought he only had influence over Iru-O.
-Kimijima Kou has Misaki under mind control: okay... I understand he can control the exoskeleton (no matter how far-fetched), because it is electronic. But WHAT?? Mind control is not even possible given the parameters of Kou's ability.
m-i-c-h-a-e-lJul 2, 2015 8:16 PM
Aug 15, 2015 8:15 PM

Feb 2015
eh, sorry. didn't get to me. aki's speech was awful and cheezy, plus the music was beyond off when THERE WAS A GUN LOCKED AND LOADED AT POINT BLANK RANGE IN FRONT OF HER.

the unanswered question the audience is left with is....why didn't kou shoot her and her big mouth?

but that twist! kou was right under that guy's nose, posing as masa!
Sep 2, 2015 6:11 AM
Dec 2011
i love this episode so much aki's speech got me hyped also the question she asked is for to see whether misaki is still herself ,like she used to be and misaki is still herself after 10 years of suffering from kimijima !

good god kimijima was the reason behind anemone also he tried on purpose to use those people as his test subjects no wonder misaki was pissed and killed kimijima and that saved everyone on board including aki and kai ...

i get it every time misaki acted against kimijima she is punished by him like she telling kai stay away from kimijima pissed him also he knew that mizuha was tailing kai. kimijima acted on this and using "em waves from that EGI systems " kimijima took overcontrol of the powered suite. kimijima killed mizuha to punish misaki and for stopping mizuha from interfering kai !
Sep 2, 2015 6:17 AM
Dec 2011
ClaraLiteraria said:
I don't understand why everybody says this episode is bad. Aki's speech? Well, you know, she's a light-hearted, optimistic girl and she REALLY loves robots. Haven't you ever love something?
And it's the first time I see a character in science;adventures damning the Commitee of 300 (as far as I can remember, at least). This shows that she's really strong. Probably she's not the best character in the world, but hey, Aki's not that bad.

It seems that everybody has to die in a series to be good. I don't see it like that.
The problem is that you want another Steins;Gate-like series. And I don't want that, honestly. For me, another "Steins;Gate" with other setting would have been really boring and repetitive. And I like Robotics;Notes for what it is, no for what it is if we compare it to Steins;Gate, because I love both shows (and also Chaos;Head VN); I'm a "science adventure" fan, after all, and I'm loving all the conexions and references they're making in R;N.

For me, this was a good episode. I'm really enjoying R;N.

i completely agree with everything you said and i think the same way!
well they say great minds think alike ..! i loved everything about this episode ! it was so exciting ,funny dramatic and shocking wow i had so many feelings rushing through my heart also i felt the helplessness in misaki and the flame of courage in aki ! :3
Sep 2, 2015 6:18 AM
Dec 2011
i loved everything about this episode ! it was so exciting ,funny dramatic and shocking wow! i had so many feelings rushing through my heart also i felt the helplessness in misaki and the flame of courage in aki ! :3
Sep 2, 2015 6:19 AM
Dec 2011
i love aki's speech ! go to hell kimijima ..this is awesome :3
Jul 21, 2016 5:23 PM

Nov 2015

Damn! Another cliffhanger! Report 0!

Commenting about another matter, Airi (real) is so not worried at all of anything. She doesn't wonder what happened to her, what happened with her family, where she is, how much time has passed, nor who are all those people that are with her and took her in a plane and all xD We don't even know what happened with her illness!

PD: Uh, next episode Aki seems like she's gonna make a move on Kai!
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:

uh okay the plane crash landing added nothing to the plot. I couldve just landed normally.

-Kimijima Kou's mind living eternally inside the Iru-O system: okay, it works the same way as Airi.
-Kimijima Kou is able to manipulate and communicate through any electronic connected to the internet: um wut? That is way far-fetched. I thought he only had influence over Iru-O.
-Kimijima Kou has Misaki under mind control: okay... I understand he can control the exoskeleton (no matter how far-fetched), because it is electronic. But WHAT?? Mind control is not even possible given the parameters of Kou's ability.

I KNOW RIGHT?
Why did they land like that?
And, that mind control thing was too much. I don't know how he can do that.
Controlling more that IRU-O is still possible if you assume he only resides in it but can access other services through internet and reach other devices as SmartTVs, PCs, and that exoskeleton... but people? wtf.
HumbertoZeroJul 21, 2016 5:28 PM
Dec 12, 2016 11:12 PM

Sep 2013
I liked the part where everyone showed up at the airport runway. Not sure why the plane's landing gear didn't work though.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 22, 2017 12:19 PM

Jan 2013
Just imagine if Kimijima Kou shot Aki when she was making a speech ...
I gotta say, it felt really great seeing all those people come out to help the Robo club, despite never seen any of their classmates though.
Also why the hell did they have to crash land, I dont remember them mentioning that the wheels wouldnt work.
Sep 2, 2017 11:00 AM

Sep 2015
I really don't get the hate and disappointment surrounding this episode in particular. My biggest gripe with the R;N anime is I think it has a poor pacing. An unfortunate but understandable side effect of adapting a Visual Novel. I also think there are a few plot points like how Kimijima is controlling Misa that the series has kind of glossed over. Though that may change in the last two. That said I still really liked this episode. Including Aki's ridiculous speech.

I think an important thing in managing your expectations of this show is the tone. While the series has dark themes and ideas. And even dabbles in horror every now and again. At its core it's a feel good love letter to giant robots. It's a very simple conflict of love and friendship vs cold and uncaring progress. I've been really liking this show and its characters. Maybe I'm the weird one and have shit taste but they've really done it for me. And as the beginning of the build up towards the end. Complete with the long awaited revelation that Misa's not in control and longs to help Aki and Kai. I was sort of moved by this. I also liked the Parrot saving the day with Airi. As dumb as that was.
SubscriberSunSep 2, 2017 11:45 AM
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 11, 2012

266 by Rinkitori31 »»
Apr 14, 10:14 AM

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

symbv - Mar 21, 2013

339 by SciADV_Maniac »»
Jan 22, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2013

216 by HagePotPotato »»
Jan 18, 10:05 PM

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

303 by HagePotPotato »»
Jan 18, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2012

156 by HagePotPotato »»
Jan 18, 4:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.