Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 5, 2013 9:06 PM

Aug 2012
I want something dark, really dark. something like gantz, where it's so dark it's messed up. I thought about Boogiepop Phantom, but i'm not sure how dark that is, and i haven't looked to deeply cause I don't wanna spoil anything, so if someone could give me a little non-spoiling info about it that'd be great.
"Reality can really bum you out" - Ash Ketchum
Mar 5, 2013 9:10 PM

Oct 2011
Looks like you're searching for something......... DARKER THAN BLACK
Mar 5, 2013 9:17 PM

Aug 2012
DEMOLITION_D said:

lol i've seen it, quite honestly didn't find it that dark... found things like requiem for the phantom, gantz, even mirai nikki darker
Mar 5, 2013 9:17 PM

Oct 2011
Evangelion then.
Mar 5, 2013 9:22 PM

Mar 2012
Denpa teki na Kanojo (this is a dark tale of two individuals possibly forming a romance solving disturbing murders that get deeper and deeper as they discover more and more info.)

Pet shop of horrors (a pet shop that doesn't sell your normal pets. It sells exactly what you're looking for and those pets somehow teach the buyer some sort of life lesson in a brutal way)

Cossette no Shouzou (a tale of love that went sour and now she is trying to get out of the hell she lives in, but someone has to take on that hell for her to get out)

Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi (immortals and things they call angels. These two cannot even be in the same room or terrible things happen. Two immortals continue to try and live on without being caught that they are immortal)

Gankutsuou (betrayal, and terrible deeds done in high society to maintain social class status.)

(just some of the darker anime out there)
lovelydeathMar 5, 2013 9:26 PM
"People die if they get killed" who knew.
Mar 5, 2013 9:38 PM
Dec 2012
O.O...maybe afro samurai...
hey you..that middle finger is looking at you
Mar 5, 2013 9:56 PM
Jul 2012
Blood-C

Trust me.
Mar 5, 2013 9:57 PM

Dec 2012
Kara No Kyoukai
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Mar 5, 2013 9:57 PM

Aug 2012
Jovoo said:
Kara No Kyoukai

Seconded.
Mar 5, 2013 10:17 PM
Jul 2018
Boogiepop Phantom:

Dark music, dark colors, dark sound, dark content, dark emotion, dark voices, dark everything.

It's a classic and should be seen by everyone, even if they aren't anime fans and is pretty much the best psychological thriller in the realm of anime and there's drug abuse and insanity overflowing out of it.

If you want the Darkest and Grimmest Anime ever made, watch Texhnolyze. It's pure awesome.

Another great Dark Anime is Shigurui: Death Frenzy (This is da REAL STUFF! This is how the samurai era was (OK, maybe it has its little unrealistic parts). It's violent, it's dark, it's gory, and it's awesome! *__*)

Also going to second Evangelion and Kara No Kyoukai because they are sooooo good.
removed-userMar 5, 2013 10:49 PM
Mar 5, 2013 10:31 PM

Aug 2012
thanks guys, i'm gonna watch boobiepop phantom, then probably check out Texhnolyze. I've tried to watch Kara No Kyoukai before, and i watched the first one, but it confused me so much...
Mar 5, 2013 10:33 PM

Mar 2012
w7y7a7t7t said:
thanks guys, i'm gonna watch boobiepop phantom, then probably check out Texhnolyze. I've tried to watch Kara No Kyoukai before, and i watched the first one, but it confused me so much...

What! if you want something dark I would start with denpa, the one i recommended above. It's two Ova's and it will def. leave an impression. Then watch texhnolyze..
Mar 5, 2013 10:37 PM
Jan 2013
In terms of being dark and quality Evangelion is the best choice. It's not the darkest, but yeah... quality.
Mar 6, 2013 5:55 AM

Dec 2012
w7y7a7t7t said:
DEMOLITION_D said:

lol i've seen it, quite honestly didn't find it that dark... found things like requiem for the phantom, gantz, even mirai nikki darker
Have you seen Death Note yet? i would have recommended phantom, darker than black and mirai nikki, but it seems like you allready got those :/
Mar 6, 2013 6:44 AM

Dec 2012
My Little Pony

Shiki maybe? It's quite dark from the few episodes I've watched.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Mar 6, 2013 7:11 AM

Aug 2009
Neane1993 said:

If you want the Darkest and Grimmest Anime ever made, watch Texhnolyze. It's pure awesome.

I simply have to second this.

Other than that, you could take a look at this club's anime relations list:
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=413
Mar 6, 2013 7:33 AM

Apr 2011
Bondage Game
.hack//Sign
Blood+
Mononoke
Cossette No Shouzou
Angel's Egg
Ergo Proxy
Inaka Isha
Kurozuka
Monster
Mar 6, 2013 5:07 PM

Jan 2012
Serial Experiments Lain
Mar 6, 2013 5:29 PM

Jan 2013
Battle Royal
I think by Dark you mean Gore
Mar 6, 2013 5:38 PM
EDM ❤

May 2012
Try Another, its dark but not gore lol
Mar 6, 2013 9:20 PM

Aug 2012
bushidohaki said:
Serial Experiments Lain

been meaning to watch it, i actually have it sitting on my hard drive. just always decide not to for some reason.

OParadise said:
Try Another, its dark but not gore lol

seen it, and it has a ton of gore...

lovelydeath said:
What! if you want something dark I would start with denpa, the one i recommended above. It's two Ova's and it will def. leave an impression. Then watch texhnolyze..

denpa, Cossette no Shouzou, and Pet shop of horrors are all really short, so it kinda turned me off. Gankutsuou didin't seem to up my alley (however, I thought the same about anohana and tokyo maginitude 8.0 and absolutely loved them).

FoH said:
In terms of being dark and quality Evangelion is the best choice. It's not the darkest, but yeah... quality.

everyone recommends this for everything... and one day i'll watch it. but for now, I just see it as a "one size fits all" type of thing. not looking for that.

anders160196 said:
Have you seen Death Note yet? i would have recommended phantom, darker than black and mirai nikki, but it seems like you allready got those :/

everyone has seen death note.

Peten00b said:
My Little Pony

Shiki maybe? It's quite dark from the few episodes I've watched.

I'll watch this in the future, already started boogiepop, and have things planned for after that. but i'll get to it for sure.

Nidstang said:
Bondage Game
.hack//Sign
Blood+
Mononoke
Cossette No Shouzou
Angel's Egg
Ergo Proxy
Inaka Isha
Kurozuka
Monster

You started with Bondage Game, So I didn't even bother reading the rest.

kano95 said:
O.O...maybe afro samurai...

not quite what I was after.

stanklem28 said:
Blood-C

Trust me.

seems more like just gore, not actually dark.
Mar 7, 2013 8:35 AM

Mar 2012
I know that shorter anime or a few OVAs can seem disheartening, but the ones I gave you are amazing and can really capture your attention with just the few ovas they have. With Gankutsuou, I thought the same thing, but it's really dark. I loved how dark it was behind the scenes as well. The betrayal, the heartbreak, the very need to put yourself above others to get ahead and karma coming back. IT's good. Anyway. Hope you enjoy.
Mar 7, 2013 10:13 AM

Jun 2010
Blue Gender, since i'm watching it right now, I should know.
Mar 7, 2013 10:36 AM

Jan 2013
Mirai Nikki you will not get darker than that, and also Deadman Wonderland, Elfen Lied, Another, 11 Eyes and Shingetsutan Tsukihime
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Mar 7, 2013 12:47 PM

Jan 2011
Gilgamesh, really dark and psychotic stuff. Don't let the low rating fool you.
Mar 7, 2013 1:57 PM

Dec 2012
>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mousou Dairinin<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Ergo Proxy
Texhnolyze
Aoi Bungaku Series

More topics from this board

» Can someone please put me on to some sad anime

Fischer77 - 1 hour ago

3 by duchessliz87 »»
16 minutes ago

» Non-hentai anime with traumatizing rape?

stanklem28 - Feb 7, 2014

40 by Omega90 »»
5 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - Yesterday

26 by PostMahouShoujo »»
6 hours ago

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - Yesterday

6 by DMind »»
Today, 2:05 AM

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
Today, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.