Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 18, 2013 8:04 AM

Jan 2013
Getting BRS to protect my system, much better than anti-virus software!
http://imgur.com/TjQV1eT
Apr 18, 2013 8:13 AM
Jun 2012
is it difficult to build your own rig?
Apr 18, 2013 8:15 AM

Jan 2013
drinkbeer said:

Depends, i've been doing it for literally years, theirs tuts/videos out there. its more about getting compatible parts than it is the building of the system.
Apr 18, 2013 8:35 AM

Mar 2013
It's incredibly easy, as was said getting the right parts is the hardest part

drinkbeer said:
Apr 18, 2013 8:46 AM

Feb 2013
Sanjur0 said:

drinkbeer said:

I wouldn't call it incredibly easy, there are certainly a few little things you have to keep in mind while building your own system.
Apr 18, 2013 9:11 AM

Mar 2013
I suppose, guess I am jaded since I have built so many.

sippychao said:
Sanjur0 said:

drinkbeer said:

I wouldn't call it incredibly easy, there are certainly a few little things you have to keep in mind while building your own system.
Apr 18, 2013 2:53 PM

Oct 2010
I did my first build last year. Using half new parts, and half parts from my old PC in a new case. It was much easier than I expected. Hardest part was plugging in the front panel stuff into the correct spots on a generic motherboard with no labels. Bit of trial and error.
Apr 18, 2013 6:26 PM

Jan 2013
Shot an update of my system on CPU-z
http://valid.canardpc.com/2766350
Apr 18, 2013 6:30 PM

Feb 2013
I use the 27 in iMac and the 12 core Mac pro
"Currently playing the Game of of Life"
Poppin Pills is All We Know - Antidote
Apr 19, 2013 11:35 AM

Sep 2010

NZXT H2 case
Corsair HX650 PSU
Asus Sabertooth P67 RevB3
Intel 2600K@4,5Ghz
Corsair H80 Scythe Gentle typhoon PnP
16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3
Asus DCuII 6970
Various drives for storage
Corsair F120 SSD OS drive
Apr 19, 2013 12:42 PM

Feb 2013
MY EYES!!! IT'S SO BRIGHT!!

Pretty sweet rig non the less :)
Also I'm a big fan of those huge Imacs!
Apr 19, 2013 3:14 PM
Jan 2013
Im planning on getting this rig. Please tell me if there's anything wrong with it.

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3 GHz
MOBO: ASRock B75M-DGS
RAM: G.Skill Value 4GB 1x4 DDR3 1333 CL9
HDD: Any 500GB SATA3
ODD: Any DVDRW
PSU: FSP HEXA 500W
ATX: EMAXX Rebel
GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 1GB DDR5

It's not the best but it's fine for me. Buying things like this is so hard when you're only 16, not bragging just saying. Plus its not even worth bragging for. LOL
Apr 19, 2013 4:15 PM

Apr 2013
MB: Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
CPU: Intel C2Q Q9400 @3.2GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2 1066 @5-5-5-15
GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX560Ti HAWK
SSD: Corsair Force F60
HDD: 2x2TB Internal+1.5TB Ext.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
Display: Samsung T220
Display 2: Sony KDL-52W5800 (Main, atm)
KB: Logitech K350
Mouse: Logitech M570

Not exactly an up-to-date system as you can see but i'm happy about it. What I want most is a 21:9 monitor and a 256GB SSD right now. Then I plan a change to ITX form factor, when it's absolutely neccesary for more power.
Open to chat about any storytelling related subject as long as it's clever and respectful.
Myanimelist
Apr 20, 2013 1:23 AM

Jun 2011
Prequel said:
MB: Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
CPU: Intel C2Q Q9400 @3.2GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2 1066 @5-5-5-15
GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX560Ti HAWK
SSD: Corsair Force F60
HDD: 2x2TB Internal+1.5TB Ext.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
Display: Samsung T220
Display 2: Sony KDL-52W5800 (Main, atm)
KB: Logitech K350
Mouse: Logitech M570

Not exactly an up-to-date system as you can see but i'm happy about it. What I want most is a 21:9 monitor and a 256GB SSD right now. Then I plan a change to ITX form factor, when it's absolutely neccesary for more power.

You want more power...so you switch to an ITX case? lol.
Apr 20, 2013 10:36 AM

Sep 2012
There.

One day I'm going to discover who I am. I'm not looking forward to that day.
Apr 22, 2013 12:03 AM

Jul 2007
I would post a pic of my rig but you guys probably would not like it. How the hell do manage wires so easily mine has wires just everywhere and it gets dusty almost every day. I use zip ties to tie them down, but they are still bukly and block off area's to the fan, etc. I can't keep that damn thing clean ever. This room gets really dusty through especially since i have pets which makes it a bad environment for the computer.

No matter what i do do this computer, now matter what kind of upgrades i give it, it always seems to run slow for some damn reason. I checked temps and they are fine.

Specs are:
ANTEC Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel Mid tower ATX. One of the best towers on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

I5 CPU 2.67 ghz
8GB of ram
The mobo is a EVGA P55 SLI.
The graphics card is a GTX 460 512MB.
The PSU is a Corsair 650 WATT

These parts are really not that old, i just upgraded it recently. I do alot of high intensive CPU and video tasks though, like running sony vegas, playing video games on the computer, lots of encoding, video capturing, photoshop, etc. Every time i try and do these tasks, i always have a damn problem with shut downs, computer turning off unsuspectingly, freezes, BSOD screens, even video output issues, etc. The whole reason why i decided to completely upgrade my pc was because of all these previous issues and the inability to run sony vegas and other high intensive software.

I can just never manage to build a pc that can handle my tasks and operations. I actually created a topic here very recently about assistance on what to buy to build a pc and this is what i got, but apparently its still not strong enough to handle my needs lol.

Sorry if this went a little off topic
ArtimesGamerApr 22, 2013 12:14 AM

Apr 22, 2013 6:29 AM

Jan 2013
elevenletters said:
GnomeChompski said:

Have you had any problems with microstuttering? If so, how often? Just curious as I've been thinking of going the SLI route. Probably not anytime soon but still...

----------
Lowered the voltage in my CPU.

The micro stuttering happens when you hit the TDP limit. I've not had any on my system, although ive got the voltages on dynamic so then system can take/use what ever it needs
Apr 22, 2013 6:35 AM

Jan 2013
ArtemisX said:
I would post a pic of my rig but you guys probably would not like it. How the hell do manage wires so easily mine has wires just everywhere and it gets dusty almost every day. I use zip ties to tie them down, but they are still bukly and block off area's to the fan, etc. I can't keep that damn thing clean ever. This room gets really dusty through especially since i have pets which makes it a bad environment for the computer.

No matter what i do do this computer, now matter what kind of upgrades i give it, it always seems to run slow for some damn reason. I checked temps and they are fine.

Specs are:
ANTEC Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel Mid tower ATX. One of the best towers on newegg.

I5 CPU 2.67 ghz
8GB of ram

These parts are really not that old, i just upgraded it recently. I do alot of high intensive CPU and video tasks though, like running sony vegas, playing video games on the computer, lots of encoding, video capturing, photoshop, etc. Every time i try and do these tasks, i always have a damn problem with shut downs, computer turning off unsuspectingly, freezes, BSOD screens, even video output issues, etc. The whole reason why i decided to completely upgrade my pc was because of all these previous issues and the inability to run sony vegas and other high intensive software.

I can just never manage to build a pc that can handle my tasks and operations. I actually created a topic here very recently about assistance on what to buy to build a pc and this is what i got, but apparently its still not strong enough to handle my needs lol.

That case you linked to is well rubbish tbh. It has practically no cable management, all the cables in my system are hidden behind the motherboard via the hole.
http://i.imgur.com/WE7Ecuv.jpg - see how all my cables (except for GPU) all go through to the right, for the cable management.
Apr 22, 2013 12:05 PM

Jul 2007
GnomeChompski said:
ArtemisX said:

Specs are:

I5 CPU 2.67 ghz
8GB of ram

That case you linked to is well rubbish tbh. It has practically no cable management, all the cables in my system are hidden behind the motherboard via the hole.
http://i.imgur.com/WE7Ecuv.jpg - see how all my cables (except for GPU) all go through to the right, for the cable management.

Yeah i see that, what bout the mobo, pretty decent i guess? Its not to outdated? Also i was thinking bout just taking everything out and putting it in another case, like maybe this one. I just recently build a computer for my family and this is the one they got, i love this case to death, you don't even need screws for the hard drives they just slip right via these clips and the wiremanaging you can put actually behind motherboard like you said.

It also has a temp reading gauge on it, so yeah i might consider it and its a cheap case. Maybe thats my whole problem, you think?

anyways here is the case i was taking bout

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144275

Its actually a slightly new one. I want a case looking like "s043uf" that thing is squeaky clean, he must like buffer and blow the hell out of it like every day.

Ahh hell ill take a pic of my case and show you, it will take me a min.

Apr 22, 2013 2:34 PM

Jan 2013
ArtemisX said:

Yeah i see that, what bout the mobo, pretty decent i guess? Its not to outdated? Also i was thinking bout just taking everything out and putting it in another case, like maybe this one. I just recently build a computer for my family and this is the one they got, i love this case to death, you don't even need screws for the hard drives they just slip right via these clips and the wiremanaging you can put actually behind motherboard like you said.

It also has a temp reading gauge on it, so yeah i might consider it and its a cheap case. Maybe thats my whole problem, you think?

anyways here is the case i was taking bout

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144275

Its actually a slightly new one. I want a case looking like "s043uf" that thing is squeaky clean, he must like buffer and blow the hell out of it like every day.

Ahh hell ill take a pic of my case and show you, it will take me a min.

Now that case is more like it. Although me personally, that blue is a bit over powering on the side panel :P
Apr 27, 2013 5:16 AM
Aug 2010
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.02GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 6GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 (3x2GB)
Graphics card: Gigabyte ATI Radeon 5850 1GB
Soundcard: Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Hard Drives: 2x 1TB, 1 x 1.5TB, 5 x 3TB
Optical Drives: Generic DVD-ROM, Pionner DVR-111D, LG BH10LS30 Bluray Burner
PSU: Corsair HX-750W
Monitor: 2 x ASUS VW222U, Acer G245Hbmid
Case: Lian-Li PC-V2010
Input Device: Logitech G15 Keyboard, Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500

I have plenty of other computers but this is my main rig.
Apr 28, 2013 2:14 PM

Jan 2013
elevenletters said:
GnomeChompski said:
elevenletters said:
GnomeChompski said:

Have you had any problems with microstuttering? If so, how often? Just curious as I've been thinking of going the SLI route. Probably not anytime soon but still...

----------

The micro stuttering happens when you hit the TDP limit. I've not had any on my system, although ive got the voltages on dynamic so then system can take/use what ever it needs

I thought microstuttering happened when the cards fail to synchronize properly?

Hm, i've not heard it happening because of that. Would be more of a blame to the motherboard setup though. Example, 1 single card runs at x16, and 2 at 2x x8. but at 3 thats where you could possibly get stuttering as it has to do x8/x8/x4 (on a single CPU motherboard)
Apr 28, 2013 3:08 PM

Apr 2011
i7-3770k OC to 4.6 gz
Poor man's water cooling Corsair h80
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
GTX560 SLI OC to 903mhz
Corsair Vengence 16GB RAM 1600Mhz
PSU Corsair AX850 gold
120GB SSD
1TB WD Black
5.5TB green HDD (Why so much? For anime of course!)
NZXT Switch 810 white case
23" Asus LCD Moniter
22" random Dell LCD Moniter
+ crap ton of green LED fans
Apr 28, 2013 3:15 PM

Jan 2013
elevenletters said:
GnomeChompski said:
elevenletters said:
GnomeChompski said:
elevenletters said:
GnomeChompski said:

----------

I thought microstuttering happened when the cards fail to synchronize properly?

Hm, i've not heard it happening because of that. Would be more of a blame to the motherboard setup though. Example, 1 single card runs at x16, and 2 at 2x x8. but at 3 thats where you could possibly get stuttering as it has to do x8/x8/x4 (on a single CPU motherboard)

Did a little googling and it seems like it's not just one particular thing that causes it. It can be bad drivers, the game itself, or just the cards aren't ideal to be run in SLI/Crossfire. So I might hold off on buying another card, instead I'll just upgrade to a single card when the time comes.

"but at 3 thats where you could possibly get stuttering"
"...results show evidence of micro stuttering across two GPUs, but the problem substantially resolves itself when they add a third card." (link)
I don't know, I'm just getting more confused. Seems like too much of a hassle to me.

It depends, it could be link limitations causing the stuttering, again, it's dependant on the system.

Add: this also says what i said about the PCI bus being the problem.
"The general theory is that micro stuttering occurs because video cards are forced to share data across the relatively slow PCI-Express bus instead of between their own high-bandwidth connections."

For my system! Ordering some nice Red LED's to put in the bottom half of the case, and i'm thinking about modding the side panel and taking out the intake grill (theirs no fan on it, cpu cooler is that big) and putting in plastic so i can look at my pretty system.
GnomesenpaiApr 28, 2013 3:29 PM
Apr 29, 2013 3:49 AM

Feb 2013
Fishi said:

Of course!
Apr 29, 2013 5:36 AM

Oct 2012
sippychao said:
Fishi said:

Of course!
If you keep it all :P
Apr 29, 2013 7:00 AM

Feb 2013
mallobaude said:
sippychao said:
Fishi said:

Of course!

I do, I almost filled up my new 1tb drive I got for Christmas lol.
It is actually taking forever to get all the funds for my new pc, but everything should be here near the end of may!
Apr 29, 2013 8:14 PM

Oct 2012
sippychao said:
mallobaude said:
sippychao said:
Fishi said:

Of course!

It is actually taking forever to get all the funds for my new pc, but everything should be here near the end of may!

Dang dude, I always delete it unless it was like amazing stuff. Then again I have fibre so redownloading is no biggy :P
Apr 30, 2013 1:15 AM

Feb 2013
mallobaude said:
sippychao said:
mallobaude said:
sippychao said:
Fishi said:

Of course!

Dang dude, I always delete it unless it was like amazing stuff. Then again I have fibre so redownloading is no biggy :P

Should get glass fibre in my city this year, will probably get it because my dad's work pays for our internet :)
Apr 30, 2013 11:24 AM

Jan 2013
On the topic of storage, i'm current planning out a new home server, initial idea is 3x3TB drives for data and 3x3TB for backups and a 64GB SSD for OS. Looking along the lines of minimal energy usage. so i'm going with an i3 T series and i've got a 700W 80+ Gold PSU for it.
Apr 30, 2013 2:04 PM

Feb 2013
GnomeChompski said:
On the topic of storage, i'm current planning out a new home server, initial idea is 3x3TB drives for data and 3x3TB for backups and a 64GB SSD for OS. Looking along the lines of minimal energy usage. so i'm going with an i3 T series and i've got a 700W 80+ Gold PSU for it.

Sounds sweet, and expensive!
Apr 30, 2013 2:22 PM

Jan 2013
sippychao said:
GnomeChompski said:

Sounds sweet, and expensive!

It's going to be, but it's needed. My current home server is almost full and the SATA controller is slowly failing.
Apr 30, 2013 5:50 PM
Aug 2010
I have a file server build in progress as well to house my ever expanding digital media collection.

I only have 8 bays connected to the motherboard at the moment, need to get another raid card to connect the other 16. Not in rush to get the second raid card as it is going to take me a while to get enough hard drives to fill in all the bays.

Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCM-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 3.2GHz
RAM: 4 x 4GB ECC 1333MHz DDR3 ram (KVR1333D3E9S/4GEC)
Graphics card: Onboard
Soundcard: Onboard
Hard Drives: WD 320GB, 24 x Hard drives (Future)
PSU: Corsair HX750
Case: Norco RPC-4224
Raid Cards: LSI SAS 9211-8i
May 1, 2013 6:21 AM

Jan 2013
darren42 said:
I have a file server build in progress as well to house my ever expanding digital media collection.

I only have 8 bays connected to the motherboard at the moment, need to get another raid card to connect the other 16. Not in rush to get the second raid card as it is going to take me a while to get enough hard drives to fill in all the bays.

Did you buy a base server and then add other bits yourself? I know that supermicro boards are brill (my dedi has one)
May 1, 2013 6:56 AM

Jun 2012
darren42 said:

You know ubuntu has specific releases for servers right?

Debian stable (wheezy is finally getting released in a few days) or centOS are also really good server distros, just as food for thought.
May 1, 2013 2:25 PM

Jan 2013
Caze said:
Debian stable (wheezy is finally getting released in a few days) or centOS are also really good server distros, just as food for thought.

Balls to upgrading from Squeeze, i bet Wheezy will still have tonnes of bugs compared to Squeeze.
May 1, 2013 7:51 PM

Jan 2013
Fishi said:

There is this thing called a external hard drive...
I don't have a signature.
May 1, 2013 9:08 PM

Jun 2012
ixsetf said:
Fishi said:

Because using external hard drives in a desktop computer opposed to traditional 3.5" hard drives for long term storage of data is ridiculous, counter-productive, and more expensive?

I know some people have cases with 3.5" external drive bays that connect through SATA, but you don't put actual external hard drives in there. (I still think the amount of people who actually need this feature because they have people bringing them full size HDDs all the time for whatever reason is incredibly small)

Anyway point being that those aren't really bad, but if you're talking about the actual small externals using USB, they are blown away by traditional 3.5" drives connected to SATAII/III, and can't compare performance or stability wise. If you're talking about those giant clunky enclosed ones, I don't even understand the point if you have a desktop.
May 2, 2013 1:10 AM

Jan 2013
Caze said:
ixsetf said:
Fishi said:

Because using external hard drives in a desktop computer opposed to traditional 3.5" hard drives for long term storage of data is ridiculous, counter-productive, and more expensive?

I know some people have cases with 3.5" external drive bays that connect through SATA, but you don't put actual external hard drives in there. (I still think the amount of people who actually need this feature because they have people bringing them full size HDDs all the time for whatever reason is incredibly small)

Anyway point being that those aren't really bad, but if you're talking about the actual small externals using USB, they are blown away by traditional 3.5" drives connected to SATAII/III, and can't compare performance or stability wise. If you're talking about those giant clunky enclosed ones, I don't even understand the point if you have a desktop.

This. I have 7TB total storage internally in my current home server. If i was going to get any form of external drives they'd be eSATA's as you still get the speeds of using internal SATA.
May 2, 2013 3:05 PM

Jan 2013
Caze said:
ixsetf said:
Fishi said:

I guess you have a point, but bigger hard drives do tend to fail more often, and having them externally makes them easier to replace.

That said you do have a point, and it's probably something that you could manage either way depending on your goals.
I don't have a signature.
May 3, 2013 8:47 PM

Jan 2009
Mainboard : ASRock M3A770DE
Chipset : AMD RD770
Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 40 @ 3000MHz
Physical Memory : 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD1500HLFS-01G6U1 ATA Device (150GB)
Monitor Type : Hewlett Packard HP S2031 - 20 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 5.9 on 7.9

May 5, 2013 3:05 AM
Aug 2010
Caze said:
You know ubuntu has specific releases for servers right?

I haven't really used Linux very much so I went with the distro that I was most comfortable with. I spent a year learning basic C programming with ubuntu.
May 5, 2013 3:27 AM

Jan 2012
CPU: [Intel] 2500k @ 4.3Ghz
GPU: MSI GTX580 1.5GB Lightning Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB @ 1600Mhz
Monitor: Samsung S23A700D [LED] [120Hz]
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX
Power Supply: Antec 750W
Case: Corsair Carbide 500r [White]
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Keyboard: Ducky DK9008 Shine II (Cherry Blue)
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013
May 17, 2013 8:55 PM

Mar 2013
Processor: AMD Phenom ii x2 560 Black Edition 3.30ghz Dual Core
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 430 1GB
RAM:4GB 1333MHZ
Motherboard:Emaxx iCafe MCP61D3
Sound Card:Realtek High Definition Audio
Monitor:LG Flatron e1941 60HZ
May 19, 2013 1:58 AM
Jul 2018
No pictures since its at home

Intel Xeon E3-1245 v2 (4C/8T 3.4-3.8GHz)
8GB DDR3-1600
AsRock B75 Pro3
Intel HD Graphics P4000
1TB Barracuda
BP430
Dell U2312HM

Not a gamer, so I chose the xeon and integrated graphics for stability.
May 24, 2013 2:23 AM

Jan 2013
edwd2 said:

8GB DDR3-1600
AsRock B75 Pro3
Intel HD Graphics P4000
1TB Barracuda
BP430
Dell U2312HM

Not a gamer and you chose a Xeon chip? :P
May 24, 2013 4:59 AM

Jun 2011
GnomeChompski said:
edwd2 said:

8GB DDR3-1600
AsRock B75 Pro3
Intel HD Graphics P4000
1TB Barracuda
BP430
Dell U2312HM

Well Xeon's are usually meant for servers and workstations.
May 24, 2013 3:06 PM

Feb 2013
Ambient_ said:
GnomeChompski said:
edwd2 said:

8GB DDR3-1600
AsRock B75 Pro3
Intel HD Graphics P4000
1TB Barracuda
BP430
Dell U2312HM

Well Xeon's are usually meant for servers and workstations.

And they are great at their job as well!
May 24, 2013 3:51 PM

Mar 2013
Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3
8GB DDR3 @ 800MHz
ASUS P8P67 Motherboard
x2 AMD Radeon HD 6800
1TB Hitachi
Jun 3, 2013 7:10 AM

Jan 2013
Still deciding on upgrading my CPU to an i7. Part of me wants to. Part of me wants to save money :c Halp!
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

51 by juanlqr »»
3 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - 6 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
6 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Yesterday

4 by _Nette_ »»
6 hours ago

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
10 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
Yesterday, 2:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.