Forum Settings
Forums

Its Over! Crunchyroll is doomed! Fare thee well.

New
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 26, 2013 11:20 PM

Feb 2013
Noooooo I just really got into Crunchyroll
Feb 26, 2013 11:21 PM

Jun 2007
Sounds way better than CR, and also like the income will actually be providing something worthwhile to the industry.

So, as a legal option, I think it's a better one than what we've got currently. In terms of fansubbing it's not gonna change anything, given the fact is every fansub group just steals and rewrites the scripts from official streams - that won't change, it'll just make them use this site to rip from instead of CR.

Though, whether it'd actually go anywhere or not, I don't know. Nico Nico tried anime simulcasts with english subs and it pretty much flopped in a few months because CR is just already so well known to big numbers.
Feb 26, 2013 11:22 PM

Jan 2009
its about time IMHO, a CrunchyRoll like website is badly needed by Japan for them to directly profit from the internet, at last Japan is catching up to the internet business world

P.S. i want to post this news a while ago but good thing somebody already posted it
Feb 26, 2013 11:26 PM
Aug 2011
Japan is basically just cutting out the middleman.
They may even hire some of CR translators, probably.
Feb 26, 2013 11:32 PM
Mar 2011
this is very much needed for things not licensed for free legal streaming on nico nico [ ie stuff licensed by nico nico]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 27, 2013 12:03 AM
Sep 2012
>CR DEATH FINALLY
>5 days later.
>CR to merge with the new site
>facepalms everywhere.
Feb 27, 2013 12:06 AM

Oct 2012
It's about time. If they do this right, they could revive the industry. Foreign audience will finally be seen.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 27, 2013 12:14 AM

Aug 2012
A competitor to region-blocked CrunchyRoll?

Hell yeah, I'm all for it.
Feb 27, 2013 12:14 AM

Sep 2012
I'm really excited for this. Hopefully this will help the anime industry make more profits than usual.
Feb 27, 2013 12:17 AM

Oct 2009
Shoot, Sunrise, Toei, and Aniplex!
500 titles. Not bad, I hope they bring the best.
Would subscribe.

Does it mean that the newest seasons is going to be streamed live also?
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Feb 27, 2013 12:17 AM

Mar 2012
More profit = hopefully more quality anime made.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 27, 2013 12:23 AM

Oct 2012
500 titles legal streaming? Not bayd.
will go for it.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Feb 27, 2013 12:27 AM
Aug 2011
azzuRe said:
Would subscribe.

It says so in the article. Might even stream sooner than CR did.

NeoAnkara said:

What if shitty shounen and moeshit gains the most views etc , wouldn't that result in less quality anime.
Feb 27, 2013 12:29 AM

Mar 2012
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
NeoAnkara said:

What if shitty shounen and moeshit gains the most views etc , wouldn't that result in less quality anime.
Quality over quantity. As long as good stuff is being made you can cast aside bad stuff.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 27, 2013 12:29 AM

Oct 2012
i dont understand the big deal about this arent there a lot of streaming sites on the internet already that offer more anime streaming
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 27, 2013 12:32 AM

Sep 2012
beavis2323 said:
i dont understand the big deal about this arent there a lot of streaming sites on the internet already that offer more anime streaming

This is legal anime streaming that isn't region locked.
Only other competitors are Cruncyroll and Funimation's youtube channel.
Feb 27, 2013 12:35 AM

Aug 2012
beavis2323 said:
Because most if not all of them are illegal and don't offer HD streaming.

And the legal companies that do offer it kinda suck (don't have all titles, not available in many countries, etc.).

...Or what Raikov said.
Feb 27, 2013 12:42 AM

Oct 2012
MellowJello said:
beavis2323 said:

And the legal companies that do offer it kinda suck (don't have all titles, not available in many countries, etc.).

...Or what Raikov said.

but most of them had more anime on their websites and is hd that important
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 27, 2013 12:44 AM

Aug 2012
beavis2323 said:
MellowJello said:
beavis2323 said:

...Or what Raikov said.

Why do you think most people here torrent?

HD is that important.

Plus, if we support something like this then eventually it'll have more anime than those streaming sites.
Feb 27, 2013 12:44 AM

Sep 2012
beavis2323 said:
MellowJello said:
beavis2323 said:

...Or what Raikov said.

HD is actually very important to many people.
Myself included.

EDIT: Ninja'd by 4 seconds :(
Feb 27, 2013 12:46 AM
Sep 2012
beavis2323 said:

Enjoy your 240p quality anime.
Feb 27, 2013 1:02 AM

Dec 2011
This doesn't mean that CR is dead, at least not unless the idea catches on and everyone starts doing this.

I'm interested in this though. Does it actually say anywhere that this isn't region locked? Can someone link me to where it does if so? Because several people on here seem to be claiming that it isn't.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 27, 2013 1:16 AM
Sep 2012
^ Why would Aniplex and co. who owns the site region lock their own content??
Feb 27, 2013 1:22 AM

Jan 2012
I don't care about HD quality.... But it is nice to support the industry directly.... I'll have to add this subscription to my current Funimation subscription. I was going to resub to CR but I'm going to wait to see how this turns out before deciding anything indefinitely.
Feb 27, 2013 2:40 AM

Jun 2007
SirDrRoger said:
This sounds too good to be true. I wonder how they're gonna screw it up?
Probably with poorly-edited semi-translations from native Japanese speakers who learned English under the wonderful "teach to the entrance exams" Japanese education system. Toei's subs for the original Pretty Cure series are a prime example.
Feb 27, 2013 2:44 AM

Dec 2012
This is great news, and I doubt it will kill Crunchyroll. At any rate competition is always a good thing, and if this new service is any good, then Crunchyroll will have to step their game up.

What this means is that we'll get better streaming services, with better prices and/or better quality. Very good new indeed.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Feb 27, 2013 2:45 AM

Jan 2012
Zalis said:
SirDrRoger said:
This sounds too good to be true. I wonder how they're gonna screw it up?
Probably with poorly-edited semi-translations from native Japanese speakers who learned English under the wonderful "teach to the entrance exams" Japanese education system. Toei's subs for the original Pretty Cure series are a prime example.

How does Crunchyroll get their subs? Their subs are pretty good in terms of quality, I imagine they would employ the same tactics?
Feb 27, 2013 3:35 AM
May 2009
Feb 27, 2013 3:38 AM

Dec 2012
shintai88 said:
People actually stream anime, wasting their bandwidth?

Very few countries have limited bandwidth these days.
Feb 27, 2013 3:41 AM

Dec 2012
Jovoo said:
shintai88 said:

Yea even i live in a third world country and have unlimited bandwidth.
Feb 27, 2013 3:52 AM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
Jovoo said:
shintai88 said:

Same here.
Feb 27, 2013 4:05 AM

Sep 2007
Good riddance.

I'll even subscribe if they don't region lock it like Crunchy did.
Feb 27, 2013 4:18 AM
May 2010
Jovoo said:
tsudecimo said:
Jovoo said:
shintai88 said:

Same here.

Mine is limited(Australia) but at 1TB the limits fairly meaningless unless I want to dl 30 bluray series a month..

Also, on topic, this seems interesting. I am all for a way to throw money directly at the Japanese industry instead of the western version of it. Assuming this provides me a reasonable way of doing so.
miereneronaileFeb 27, 2013 4:24 AM
Worships Asparagus.
Feb 27, 2013 4:33 AM
May 2009
miereneronaile said:
Jovoo said:
tsudecimo said:
Jovoo said:
shintai88 said:

Same here.

Mine is limited(Australia) but at 1TB the limits fairly meaningless unless I want to dl 30 bluray series a month..

Also, on topic, this seems interesting. I am all for a way to throw money directly at the Japanese industry instead of the western version of it. Assuming this provides me a reasonable way of doing so.

True as it maybe for some. But what I meant was I don't want to be streaming, stuff, whilst causing lag to any games I am playing online.

Plus streaming means, i have to re stream anything I want to rewatch. which is kinda pointless when you can just download a better quality copy. And not have to restream or google to find that episode or movie again.

It would be better if they just sold Digital copies at heavily discounted prices. I'm sure they can use some kind of smart encryption.
Feb 27, 2013 4:41 AM

Oct 2009
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
azzuRe said:
Would subscribe.

It says so in the article. Might even stream sooner than CR did.

Sweet! I hope they add that on screen chat text feature like Nico while live streaming! lol.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Feb 27, 2013 4:46 AM
May 2010
shintai88 said:
miereneronaile said:
Jovoo said:
tsudecimo said:
Jovoo said:
shintai88 said:

Same here.

True as it maybe for some. But what I meant was I don't want to be streaming, stuff, whilst causing lag to any games I am playing online.

Plus streaming means, i have to re stream anything I want to rewatch. which is kinda pointless when you can just download a better quality copy. And not have to restream or google to find that episode or movie again.

It would be better if they just sold Digital copies at heavily discounted prices. I'm sure they can use some kind of smart encryption.

Yea, I do not stream either if I can avoid it. I far prefer high quality when possible, and downloading is better than streaming for me because I love re watching my favorite shows. I just wanted to mention that even having capped downloads does not make streaming chew to much quota.
Worships Asparagus.
Feb 27, 2013 5:15 AM
May 2009
miereneronaile said:
shintai88 said:
miereneronaile said:
Jovoo said:
tsudecimo said:
Jovoo said:
shintai88 said:

Same here.

Yea, I do not stream either if I can avoid it. I far prefer high quality when possible, and downloading is better than streaming for me because I love re watching my favorite shows. I just wanted to mention that even having capped downloads does not make streaming chew to much quota.

True. But it can be annoying if the internet stops, and you have to restart the router, and have to wait for the streaming to start all over again, and buffer and load all the way from the start again to the point you were watching. (this depends on who you streaming from of course)

The other is I noticed streaming movies, does cause some lag to the gameplay.

But Downloading will always be better, Because you don't need to have constant access to the internet in order to watch or rewatch something. Which means portability and Accessibility. The only thing you would need is a power socket.
Feb 27, 2013 5:21 AM
May 2010
shintai88 said:
miereneronaile said:
shintai88 said:
miereneronaile said:
Jovoo said:
tsudecimo said:
Jovoo said:
shintai88 said:

Same here.

True. But it can be annoying if the internet stops, and you have to restart the router, and have to wait for the streaming to start all over again, and buffer and load all the way from the start again to the point you were watching. (this depends on who you streaming from of course)

The other is I noticed streaming movies, does cause some lag to the gameplay.

But Downloading will always be better, Because you don't need to have constant access to the internet in order to watch or rewatch something. Which means portability and Accessibility. The only thing you would need is a power socket.

Yea, dling is better. Especially since for me I watch anime on my laptop(which does not have a net connection most of the time since I need a 50 meter ethernet cable to get a net connection because I am a long way from the modem) so I play games whilst watching DLed anime on the laptop. Streaming sucks for me, because I simply can not do it this way.
Worships Asparagus.
Feb 27, 2013 5:23 AM

May 2008
Thanks a ton for sharing, but that title completely missed the target, and it’s really misleading the awesome bit of news here. Besides, it’s not even correct, competition ≠ demise.

Anyway, it's about damn time! Hopefully we won't have to worry too much about this stupid, stubborn, languid, and antediluvian industry much longer (I could call it many more names, but I’ll stop here). With this, they seem to be getting smarter. I hope this is just the first step. And I really hope they do well here. I know for sure I’ll be subscribing – even though I know I’ll never use it – simply to pay something back for all this hard work I’m downloading. Fully pledged.

Can we sticky this news or something? It’d be awesome if every anime site could advertise this (barring competitors, of course). As well, it’d be nice if Toonami / Adult Swim / whatever they have here these days could advertise, but of course they probably won’t.

Boy am I excited. Completely made my day.
Feb 27, 2013 5:26 AM

Jan 2008
LF> Ps3 App.
Feb 27, 2013 5:27 AM
May 2010
FauxAzn said:

antediluvian.

Thankyou for introducing me to this word. I am going to steal this for every day conversation and enjoy laughing at everyone I know have NFI what it means.

On topic, I agree that it would be cool if this became stickied or some thing similar to make it more well known. Anything to encourage this.
Worships Asparagus.
Feb 27, 2013 6:03 AM

May 2012
This sounds awesome! Hopefully it's available globally and can be streamed on my PS3!

I dont see how this means the death of Crunchyroll. Just means they have to up their game to stay in business.
Feb 27, 2013 6:39 AM
Sep 2012
More competition isn't a bad thing. I am interested as to who will do the subbing.
Feb 27, 2013 6:45 AM

Jul 2008
What a way to cut out the middle man.
Feb 27, 2013 7:07 AM

Apr 2011
If this isn't gonna be region-locked, then I'm (most probably) switching to streaming. If there is a legal way available, for so many titles at that, then I am more than happy to switch to those means.
Feb 27, 2013 7:42 AM

Jun 2012
Dont care, will still use torrents.
Feb 27, 2013 7:43 AM
Dec 2012
Very interested in seeing how good it will be. If it's going to be good then I'll be happy to support.
Feb 27, 2013 8:43 AM
Dec 2011
I hope this is not region locker like cr
Feb 27, 2013 8:52 AM

Dec 2011
Just because this new streaming thing is coming out doesn't mean crunchyroll is doomed. For example we don't know how well their translation will be and such. Hence my expectation of this will be a bit low.
MitsukiHimekaFeb 27, 2013 9:04 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

36 by Archean-Return »»
47 seconds ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - 2 hours ago

10 by Ahiru89 »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

23 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

89 by LordSozin »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 5 hours ago

16 by jestyn »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.