Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 9, 2021 3:12 PM

Apr 2017
Don't know how to feel about this.

On one hand, I appreciate that the author didn't shy away from depicting the bullying.

On the other, Shouko being depicted as the stoic and always smiling disabled person stereotype was...unrealistic, not to mention how her teachers and parents reacted. I can see the teachers being apathetic and not bothering with her, but her parents never thought that something was wrong until after the 8th pair of hearing aids was destroyed? Unless she was being neglected, I can't see how her parents wouldn't investigate after the 3rd one was destroyed (assuming the first 2 were accidents).

Interesting to see how fast the classmates turned on Ishida and blamed him for all the bullying, whereas previously they'd all had his back. Then again, the others didn't bully her as harshly as he did, so they may have been encouraging him to do what they were too cowardly (or smart) to do themselves. Even the teacher got in on it!

The ending was fine, I guess. Shouko was the bigger person, but I hated that Ishida put the onus on her for everyone "not being able to hear her voice".

The problem with this is, of course, that few bothered to listen and meet her halfway. But I can understand it; teens can be petty and cruel, and none of them knew how to behave around a deaf person i.e. speak slower and facing them for better lip reading, maybe even learn a few hand signs, write down complex words etc.

The bigger problem is, of course, that Shouko was put in a regular school despite the extent of her disability. She clearly needed other arrangements in order to study and better learn how to live with her disability, instead of being tossed in with people who didn't understand it and weren't willing to accommodate her either.

7/10. Good intent but lackluster execution.
Pande91Aug 9, 2021 3:15 PM
Jan 22, 2022 11:19 PM
Jul 2021
a1oner said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Apparently, the message the author was trying to convey was that it is NEVER the bullies' fault that their victims got (their feelings) hurt. Heck, in the end they needn't even apologize for whatsoever stuff they did, yet they expect to be forgiven!? :|

bruh, the author also said that there was zero romance in the story, I love her stories, but she needs to stop commenting on her stories šŸ˜­
Nov 26, 2022 1:59 AM
Apr 2022
It was a really good summary of the first half of the story. The quality of the manga visually was meh.
Dec 8, 2022 6:42 AM

Jan 2021
I never actually knew about this one shot so I've just read it now. It was pretty nice, I've always felt bad for Shoukos mum because she's always had troubles in her life and doesn't want to be the way she is but forces herself. Would be cool to have more stuff like this for a silent voice but it's too late for that
Jan 4, 2023 8:07 PM
Jan 2023
nice
asdDASASASS
Sep 10, 2023 8:18 PM

Jul 2021
i feel so bad for shouko nishimiya she deserves better

Nov 17, 2023 2:36 PM
Nov 2023
masterpiece, i love it
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Need help a really noob manga reader here

Ahao - Jan 25, 2015

6 by Ahao »»
Jan 26, 2015 11:05 AM

» Koe no Katachi ep1 coming next week

VioLink - Aug 1, 2013

5 by Valencia »»
Aug 16, 2013 2:31 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.