Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 16, 2014 6:24 AM

Sep 2011
And there goes my favorite character in this series. :(

Looking forward to season 2 nonetheless!
Apr 23, 2014 4:58 AM

Aug 2013
Wang Qi = a man among men.

I hate using the word epic but this show is truly epic.

9/10
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 23, 2014 5:29 PM

Jun 2012
Yep this show really reminds me of LotGH and golden age of berserk. I just wished there was more Zheng development; I want to know what kind of King he wants to be. Will he stay in his castle or will he act like a general and lead his men into battle. I'm personally hoping he becomes a tactful king who rivals Li Mu, that way Xin could be the general who leads the forces while Zheng comes up with the strategies. Hopefully Zheng at least gets more time next season, because I really like the Xin and Zheng interactions.

And boy was that a surprise. Teng is a damn beast! Also, even though I find it real touching that Xin will use Wang Qi's halberd when Xin grows up, I find it a little sad because personally I always found swords to be so much cooler than every other weapon so I wanted Xin to use a sword throughout his entire military career, but halberds and staves are more effective on horseback, unless your Teng, so I guess it makes sense to transfer over to a long weapon; although, I'm still hoping he'll keep Piao's sword for when he isn't on a horse.
May 22, 2014 12:46 PM

Mar 2009
manly tears... they have been shed~

love this from start to finish!
Jun 8, 2014 12:58 AM

Nov 2011
That was a good ending. I cared for Wang Qi as a character, and his prolonged death, albeit typically dramatic, was effective. His death augurs a sense of change throughout the kingdoms, making it a perfect transition to the second season. I felt Kingdom could have done much more if it went beyond the bounds of its target demographic. Xin never transcends the definitive battle shounen MC, including his growth, and the war strategy was facile, undermined by the focus on individuals. It felt like Dynasty Warriors: The Anime. I understand the necessity of Xin for the narrative, but I could have done with a lot less yelling and screaming. I may be overly critical since this was recommended to me under the pretense of large scale strategic battles. Overall, I liked the show, easily facilitated by my love for ancient Chinese (pseudo-)history and the adrenaline of battle shounen, but I felt it had much more potential, which I'm hoping the second season will tap into a bit more.
Jun 14, 2014 10:41 AM

Mar 2010
Excellent, I just would like some years put on xin and the king.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 28, 2014 2:40 PM

Sep 2009
Manly tears were shed for Ouki.
You can't help but cry with everybody else.
I didn't see this being a great anime after first episodes, and I had rough time adapting to the bad CGI,
but it closed with a climax, and the last ED theme was very deep and enchanting.

9/10
Sep 11, 2014 9:26 AM

Jul 2008
Ouki, why did they kill him off :(

Epic Anime 9/10
Oct 2, 2014 4:06 PM

Jul 2010
Paradox92 said:
Wong Qi kinda reminds me of WhiteBeard .you can't just kill him easily .you need a HUGE army to kill this man.

Same here, got huge whitebeard vibes from that man. RIP Wang Qi :(
Oct 13, 2014 1:16 AM

Jun 2013
General was truly a great man and, like he said himself, he was fortunate to die in battle while knowing there are still promising generals left to carry on AND the enemy could not get his body.

Truly great season!
9/10.
Dec 27, 2014 4:14 AM

Jan 2013
As this series progressed, Wang Qi became soo much more badass and ended up being the best character on this show. Gonna miss his awesome chuckle. Pretty underrated show imo. 8.5/10

Off to start season 2!
Jan 1, 2015 9:00 PM

Jun 2013
Decided to rewatch season 1 over the holidays and I have to say this last episode really packs an emotional punch, even though I knew what was coming. Wow. So well done.

Time to rewatch season 2 and rekindle hope that another season will be announced this year.
Jan 16, 2015 5:18 PM

Dec 2013
10/10. I can't believe this has been hidden from me for so long
Apr 10, 2015 4:56 AM
Mar 2015
im totally not regret watching this from start to end >.<
10/10

off for season 2
Apr 13, 2015 1:38 AM
Aug 2014
And so the feels from ep 36 goes further into my kokoro.

Good for him for passing on the torch. The fighting animation was a bit of turn off at first, but the story really intrigued me. Wonder what's in store in season 2.

9/10 Wow completely spent my weekend watching this.
derprumeApr 13, 2015 2:21 AM
Apr 20, 2015 1:35 AM

Nov 2013
Who knew an anime with such a shitty start could become so good?

This anime was addicting. I finished it in a mere 4 days and am planning to watch season 2 as soon as it gets a bluray release.

Great anime. The animation was shit and the CG models, while they got better, were still a bit of an eyesore so I cannot give this anime a 9 but it is still absolutely worth watching.

8.5/10

Jun 17, 2015 4:25 AM

Dec 2013
Wow, what a great end to this series. Hou Ken staying alive laft a bit of a bad taste in my mouth but Ou Kii's death scene was so powerful.
It was a great ride. Fantastic music, likeable characters, great story for an action anime and that lovely Chinese setting. The only downsides for me was that CGI (sometimes) and Chinese names with different Japanese pronouncation, though the second one is more of a hurdle than a real downside.
AizixJun 17, 2015 4:37 AM
Jul 2, 2015 2:57 PM

Nov 2013
Unbelievable. One of the greatest anime I have seen. 10/10. So glad there is a season 2 and a manga. Most anime don't even compare to this. Just... thank you for existing.
Aug 6, 2015 12:42 AM
Mar 2009
The character of Wang Qi brought this anime from a 7 to a 10/10 imo. His character had the most depth, and I'll admit like many others I shed some man tears as well. With him pretty much out of season 2 it's going to be next to impossible for s2 to be as good as s1
Oct 11, 2015 6:36 AM

Jun 2009
Is that one of the best death scenes ever? I think so.
Dec 11, 2015 8:46 AM

Jun 2009
This show was really good, goes to show that great content can easily make you overlook awkward animation.

Although I feel like they focused a bit too much on the battlefield part, I would've liked some more plot development. But the final two episodes were amazing, Ou Ki was a man amongst men, what an epic way to go out.

I will wait a bit until I start with season two, but I already look forward to it.
Jan 6, 2016 9:23 PM

Sep 2008
Can someone tell me the name of the OST track that starts when Xin opens his eyes on the horse?
Mar 13, 2016 6:02 PM

Sep 2015
Wang Qi...
My god, what a great character. THIS, ladies and gentlemans, it's how you properly develop unique characters.
He has absolutely everything: depth, motives, niche personality portraits, AMAZING voice acting, you name it... It's remarkable how he incomparably stood out so freaking much in this story.
Wang Qi, you're definitely one of my favorite characters.

10/10 Being that Sun Tzu's "Art of War" is one of my most cherished books, this is just my type of anime.

Beautiful. BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2016 7:06 AM

Jul 2014
OMG Wang Qi... he really died. Ughhhhhh T_T I kinda felt that would happen but still, I was hoping some kind of miracle would happen. I wanted to see more of him and have him be around for Xin's growth for a while. *cries a river of blood*

But... I'm really happy I decided to watch this anime, and so glad I didn't drop it like I planned to after watching the first few episodes (the damned CG!!!)... gonna head on over to S2 now. I hope it's as great as this season.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Aug 15, 2016 12:29 PM
Dec 2014
It's an action anime so don't tell me animation don't matter as long as the story and character are goods.
Yes the story is good but animation killed the epicness and affect the characters charisma.
7/10 to me.
Nov 3, 2016 10:40 PM

Mar 2012
Some things that bugged me other than the CG would be:

- The amount of times they stood still talking while surrounded but the enemies didn't attack them.

- Enemies would have an overwhelming advantage but would give up/retreat after their general got killed (unless there was some sort of rule back then, if you have a 10-1 advantage and the enemy is surrounded I highly doubt a competent army would've stopped engaging even if the general died).

- Pang Nuan, Pang Nuan, Pang Nuan. Rankai was a more interesting character and that says something. Just a bland OP character that's there for the sake of being a wall for the MC to climb/final boss.

- MC being able to kill professional assassins even though all the practice he had was just from mock battles with another kid. Had it been a soldier alright, since not all are well experienced fighters, but an assassin?

- Derps like when for some reason they had to open the gate before killing the enemy back at the castle/rebellion arc or sending Xin to Sheng's side during delicate discussions with the mountain people.

- They went overboard with the censorship. It's a violent manga but I'm assuming since it has a lot of Shounen qualities they wanted to get some younger viewers to watch it because more views = more money. People are more likely to get killed by wind from a swung weapon than the weapon itself in this show lol.

- There was also the OST being somewhat bad at times (though it was mostly around the first few episodes). One of the tracks sounded like something out of Zelda whenever you opened a chest and they played it during some serious parts of the show xD

Best parts about the show were the setting and Wang Qi. Now that's a good character. Introduced as what seemed to be an antagonist, then neutral and then it became obvious he was an ally once he talked with Zheng. He was strong, intelligent, charismatic, entertaining, had a great backstory annnnnddddd then they kill him off. This is why we can't have nice things.
Mar 5, 2017 8:42 AM

Jan 2010
After a shaky beginning, once the army mechanics started flowing in, Kingdom became one hell of an anime to be reckoned with. I understand that the manga was probably better in terms of art, tone, and pacing, but to be able to see full-sized armies in animation, I have to give Kingdom credit for pulling off all that it did on a TV series' budget. Amazing stuff.
Mar 7, 2017 7:15 PM

Mar 2008
Shocked said:
After a shaky beginning, once the army mechanics started flowing in, Kingdom became one hell of an anime to be reckoned with. I understand that the manga was probably better in terms of art, tone, and pacing, but to be able to see full-sized armies in animation, I have to give Kingdom credit for pulling off all that it did on a TV series' budget. Amazing stuff.

Precisely. I personally found a whole added level of fondness and immersion with the anime that I'll always be grateful for.

In comparison, a few establishing panels just can't quite convey the same sense of scale and 'life' of the battlefield as the meandering camera, grandiose narrator, and clamouring sounds. The manga does undisputedly have the clear advantage with its immediacy in action - something the anime-on-a-budget often had to draw out. But while clunky, I think the copious CGI use allowed Pierrot to bring a dynamic to the show that would have otherwise been quite crippled without. All in all, a welcome departure from the manga where parts felt almost more historical battle-documentary than the wars of anime.

It's a contrast which shows in S2 where you'll see a dialling down of CG in favour of more traditional pans, close-ups and action sakuga. Many seem to prefer the latter for its 'better animation', but I found it somewhat an unfortunate change. In the end, it does boil down to the common gains and losses of adaptation; though perhaps it's worth noting that Kingdom's manga art starts out quite rough as well.

But as for impact, I found the manga hard pushed to evoke the emotional clout and stirring rise when Koyama's lordly Ouki talks macho-general and serves Houken with the backing of that glorious soundtrack. Just to die for.
Sep 8, 2017 3:51 AM

Oct 2012
Awww they killed the best character
That was sad :(

I was expecting Pang Nuan to died as well
I guess that won't happening anytime soon
"Signature removed"
Nov 2, 2017 2:52 AM
Mar 2017
ouki nooo you were my favorite gay
---------------------------

RESPECT!

---------------------------

The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Dec 9, 2017 6:09 AM

Jun 2011
So freakin epic! Ouki is by far my favorite character of the season, it's unfortunate that Hou Ken is such a little bitch to stab someone when they're down while claiming to be the chosen one, total b move.

Long final arc of the season but it was epic, though with moments of disappointment. After knowing what Hou Ken could do at full power, it's even more transparent that Hi Shin unit survived Hou Ken with some BS plot armor, and that reflects on Hou Ken poorly.

Something I noticed earlier is that how in the world could their wounds heal so quickly, Hou Ken took many slashes/stabs in the past 24 hours and he still looked fresh while Ouki died of blood loss, forreal? Shin also survived Hou Ken's attack like it's nothing.. rip Ouki dying to plot and history.

Lots of parallel to the Marineford war in One Piece as well with this arc, change of era, inheritance of will, and both baddest men died to little bitches.

Hoping to see Shin getting stronger in season 2, not the asspull in the middle of a war but actually getting stronger pre-war and getting prepared for the war. Hoping to see less of whatever Hi Shin unit did earlier too, leaving their duty (well not really, but you know what I mean) to spectate the Ouki vs Hou Ken fight, and also less of "general vs general and soldiers gonna just stand around watching :lolza:"

edit: i wonder how can an arrow pierce through Ouki's armor, because weren't those armors made to protect them from weaker attacks? I'd assume those armors would provide some sort of defense for Ouki, but apparently not.. yeah I still feel like Ouki lost to plot and history.

edit: there's probably enough "nani" in the series to make a 20 minutes long compilation
ToG25thBaamDec 9, 2017 6:45 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 21, 2019 5:05 AM

Feb 2013
OMG, when I started this anime and saw the type of quality it had, I mean the animation I thought it will never move me one bit, but I was wrong!
RIP QI, you are the greatest general that ever lived!!!
Jun 23, 2019 3:02 AM

Jul 2015
Will never forget Wang Qi, one of the most badass characters of this series :'(

Feb 4, 2020 6:57 AM
Jul 2018
damn Wang's death scene was really hits me hard.. that scene alone enough to worth watching this whole show tbh. He really stole the whole show for me so far but now the whole show will feel empty without him tho..

Anyway about the whole show: first almost 21 episodes were truly beyond awful and gets solid 3/10. I don't think even high quality studios couldn't had saved the first 2/3th of the show given lot of plotting logic issues and plot armors here and there.

Then afterwards its just felt like many of the issues disappeared and especially when Wang got more highlight. Other characters kinda started to be likable except for Diao as her entire existence of this show boils me so mad red. The overall expositions could had been better and there were tons of plot holes too in the battles.

Anyway there were few quality moments especially towards the end that made me glad sticking with this show in the long run despite so terrible start.
Feb 17, 2020 1:46 PM

Aug 2013
I have to say, I almost cried during Wang Qi's death scene. He ended up being my second favorite character after Qiang. His death scene just hit me hard.

The CGI was a turn off for me and it took a while for me to get used to it but everything else was okay. I love listening to the OP.

Overall, a 7/10 for this show. Now I just need to finish off season 2 before the start of the third season.

Feb 21, 2020 11:51 AM

Jan 2012
just rewatched it after 8 years
what a masterpiece and again the tears didnt stop flowing q____q

Feb 3, 2021 4:43 PM
May 2019
Great episode for the final of the season 1
8/10
Jun 27, 2021 10:26 PM

Feb 2021
The Strange Bird got epic death fitting of a great general.
One of the most epic deaths I have seen in anime reminds me of White Beards.
Both die standing and usher in a new era and both use the same type of weapon to.
XIn is moving up and I hope, Li Dio or whatever her name is will reveal she is a girl soon.
Nov 11, 2021 7:22 PM

Jul 2020
Animation this animation that yes it really bothered me. Yes I got used to it after a while. The last episode just keeps this show in a promising direction. I'll definetely get to S2 sometime in the future or just go to the manga because this is a poor adaption imo.
Dec 13, 2021 7:02 PM

Apr 2017
Despite the animation from the first eps this anime is truly amazing , the death of wang qi remind me to shirohige 9/10 for this eps
Moe is Love ! Moe is Life !
Jan 18, 2022 7:19 AM

Dec 2007
wow, first time a death of such good character had such impact for me, but this one made perfect sense with wang qi giving shin his "sword".
i'm furious with the fact that after all this pang nuan still alive, he got so much wounds lol. but i see it as way for futurist shin revenge lol.
i'm little surprised shin is only 300 general, i would except 500 or something, oh well.

the only thing bothered me along this superb series is the animation, and i'm not talking about CGI but even without that, it just didn't fitted for me to the anime theme, it supposed to be little more serious but it had the shounen non-serious animation 'till the end. little peek on s2 animation i saw it got fixed, but as for the 1st season it made me lower the score.
what i did love and makes this series actually, is the vibes part. it started with a lot and maybe too much with shounen vibes, but as the story progressed it became better and better, and now is full seinen fledge story lol.
shin had progressed with it all the same, becoming more and more likeable the more the story continued, and didn't made shounen hero style after the coup arc, but had it's own limitations and is growing on his own well. wang qi is maybe the best character here, but shin just have so much where to develop.
8/10
Apr 30, 2022 9:47 AM

May 2020
rip wang yi you shall never be forgotten

this was an amazing season
would have been a 10/10 but it's a 9/10 just cause of the animation

wang yi is such a goated character

Aug 18, 2022 5:44 AM
Dec 2019
10/10 very good very nice
Oct 27, 2022 12:12 AM

Dec 2018
i started off with serious reservations as to the show and the early episodes, but now they have been more than assuaged. I'm hooked. And shin isn't as punchable anymore, though I kept thinking he was too weak physically. Guess that's going to change too.
Oct 29, 2022 1:24 AM

Jul 2013
Goddamn. I knew it was coming but goddamn. That's an awesome fucking death though honestly, ala Edward Newgate aka Whitebeard. Fucking badass. But really though? Fucking Zhao did all of this just to kill one general? I mean yeah sure he's worth 50 cities blah blah but ever thought of sending an assassin? Saving you all this trouble? Lol I feel like these states really just like waging wars against each other. Anyway I am so glad I started watching this show this late. There's now a season 4 and it only gets better from here!

May 16, 2023 4:47 PM

May 2021
Despite the animation starting awful the show kept getting better
Inhales oxygen
Oct 9, 2023 10:31 AM

Aug 2019
EP38 was absolutely amazing!
Oct 21, 2023 6:47 AM

Dec 2012
I don't get why people praise this anime. It was pretty bad in my opinion... Don't get me wrong, I started reading the manga in 2013 and really enjoyed it. I tried watching the anime in 2018, but the animation was horrible, so I dropped it, until now.

It's obvious how bad the CGI is, but even the non-CGI animation is so low quality. Much of the plot was blatantly forced and meaningless. The character development is significantly worse than the manga. The comedy is also lacking; I might be misremembering, but I remember the source material being funnier. One of the best parts about the manga was the fighting scenes, which feel so flat and boring in the anime. I think it's more than just the poor animation, the studio failed to transfer the "soul" of the story when transitioning medias.

I'm not sure if I'll bother trying the second season, although it's supposed to get better. I can't sit through another mediocre adaptation to an amazing story, like with this season. Overall, this was an average, slightly sub-par anime, which I would put solidly at 5/10.
"When life gives you lemons, make orange juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it."
Jan 24, 4:42 AM

Sep 2018
In spite of it's obvious flaws, it's been a while since I've been so gripped watching a journey such as this one. A rather fantastical battle shounen (yeah yeah, it's deemed a seinen, I got it) at it's most enthralling, I raced through these 38 episodes.

RIP Ou Ki as well, sad to see the best character of the season leave us so soon. 9/10.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kingdom Episode 20 Discussion

KiraYoshikage - Oct 15, 2012

27 by Zedz_c »»
Apr 17, 6:53 AM

» Sub who uses the japanese names

L1ncoln86 - Feb 6, 2023

9 by ErwinsArm »»
Apr 13, 1:02 PM

» Should I start this??

Wildbergerrrr - Mar 25

22 by Justp94 »»
Apr 2, 6:47 PM

Poll: » how is the dub for this

Homura24 - Apr 24, 2022

5 by Justp94 »»
Mar 26, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Kingdom Episode 26 Discussion

SilentTruth - Nov 27, 2012

22 by acilanelit »»
Mar 16, 12:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.