Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 22, 2013 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Chihaya is depressed? ;.;

Lol, oh the determination of Sumire..too bad her opponent isn't who she thought it'd be. Overall, I found the episode to be relaxing to watch. Yup, I think it should be alright for Chihaya soon imo. Practice makes perfect~
Stark700Feb 22, 2013 1:44 PM
Feb 22, 2013 10:11 AM
Aug 2012
poor Taichi…:(
Feb 22, 2013 12:27 PM

Sep 2012
A nice non match change of pace, loved the school band, Chihaya in a kimono is always a win in my books. Taichi needs to say something or do something! He has no chance anyways perhaps...
Feb 22, 2013 12:32 PM

Mar 2012
must be hard for Chihaya's Mum to have two daughters :P

Why!!! Why no Taichi!!! So sad (again) T.T
xxanimeeeFeb 22, 2013 1:00 PM
Feb 22, 2013 12:47 PM

Aug 2010
Hahaha...Kana 4th wall breaking XD
Poor Taichi...he has no chance it seems :(...Not that I don't like Arata. I like them both.
Glad that they're not forgetting about Shinobu and keep mentioning her again and again.

Really really can't wait for the tournament!!
Feb 22, 2013 1:56 PM
Jan 2012
Chihaya finally has her own hakama! She always looks so pretty in whatever she wears though!^^

Looks like they'll meet Arata soon again too!
Feb 22, 2013 2:18 PM

Aug 2011
Poor Taichi...................... :'(

Loved that break of the fourth wall.
Feb 22, 2013 2:25 PM
Apr 2012
Is it me or did Chihaya sound very different than normally? For some reason I barely couldn't recognize her voice in the beginning... Dunno if I'm just being weird here.

It was so sad when Hanano asked if there was anyone Chihaya liked and she immediately called Arata. I feel for you Taichi, buddy.
"A game is a game. Reality is reality. People who try to link them are the ones who can't tell the difference" -Katsuragi Keima
Feb 22, 2013 2:35 PM
Feb 2013
KuroHasu said:
Is it me or did Chihaya sound very different than normally? For some reason I barely couldn't recognize her voice in the beginning... Dunno if I'm just being weird here.

Yeah, I thought exactly the same.
Feb 22, 2013 2:45 PM

Jun 2012
For the first time we got a deeper look at her family through the mom and sister but was clumsily done in my opinion. Chitose's "problem" of not being sure if she's going to go into acting was introduced and resolved in this one episode. Maybe they'll bring it up again so we'll have to see. The introspection on the Mom was a little better. I was actually kind of surprised the Mom knew stuff about Chihaya's life such as her crappy grades or not filling out her survey.

This episode was pretty funny though, I really like when they show the characters thoughts as text with no dialogue at all but just their facial expressions. Kana's little fourth wall break got a chuckle out of me.

Thank god Taichi won his part of the team match last week, we're back again to Taichi having no luck in regards to his love life. Give the guy a break already X D
HybridMBLFeb 22, 2013 2:54 PM
Feb 22, 2013 3:45 PM

Jul 2009
damn when the band played them a song, and chihaya started tearing up, i teared up too.
what comes around really does goes around.
Feb 22, 2013 3:47 PM
Jan 2013
Darn, im starting to feel bad for Taichi now.

Chihaya's mom was hilarious to me, nice to see the family :)

It sucks though, the episode passed by and now i have to wait another week again.... ;.;
Feb 22, 2013 3:52 PM

Jul 2009
...i never noticed but chihaya's seiyuu sings the ending
mind = blown.
beautiful voice.
Feb 22, 2013 3:58 PM

Aug 2009
that was really sweet of the orchestra club T____T

Wow... we are already at the Nationals??? TIME IS FLYING BY

By the way, I am NOT giving up on Chihaya x Taichi!
The way Sumire asked the question of who you 'miss' and 'want to see' of course shes gonna say Arata! I dont think Chihaya still hasnt even thought of possibly DATING either of Taichi or Arata... but in my heart I hope that when the time comes, she will look at Taichi. The directors wouldnt torture us with his one sided love Q___Q.

DEAR DIRECTOR-SAN
You made it that Taichi is a character that always wins first place in everything, but the only times he cannot win first is Karuta, and Chihaya's heart... PLEASE GOD..just please make it so that he can win first in Chihaya's heart ;////;

Kurogashi said:
mind = blown.
beautiful voice.

OH MY GODDDDD!!!!!!!!!! I couldnt even recognize it! I love the ed and have eagerly been waiting for a full version. Wow! My mind is blown! >////<
ImNotLulexiaaFeb 22, 2013 4:09 PM
Feb 22, 2013 4:04 PM

Jul 2009
^
ikr
she did the first season ending too ;_;
Feb 22, 2013 4:34 PM

Oct 2011
As much as I like Taichi, I find Chihaya and Arata make a better couple. There's just a chemistry between them that I love.

On that note. I really really miss Arata. =/ I feel like he needs to show up for good for the season to be perfect. Right now it's near perfect.
Feb 22, 2013 4:46 PM
Feb 2012
when taichi saw chihaya on the phone with arata... damn that mustve hurt
Feb 22, 2013 5:15 PM

Jan 2012
Well, not much action but it was enjoyable. Still no progress on the romance part though. I liked the band part too.

Feb 22, 2013 5:37 PM

Aug 2012
Kurogashi said:
mind = blown.
beautiful voice.

She does quite a bit of singing in Tari Tari as well. Damn good voice.
Feb 22, 2013 5:51 PM

Aug 2011
Taichi's Thoughts; Goodbye my almost lover, goodbye my hopeless dreams. Chihaya, you just broke my heart! T^T
Do not feed the trolls! They bite ;D
Feb 22, 2013 5:55 PM

Aug 2008
I was so moved by the orchestra club that I shed a tear, but I was going to cry at Taichi's scene!

Seutsgu-senseiii! Stop torturing Taichi!! T____T
Feb 22, 2013 6:06 PM
Jan 2013
Kurini said:
I was so moved by the orchestra club that I shed a tear, but I was going to cry at Taichi's scene!

Seutsgu-senseiii! Stop torturing Taichi!! T____T

The writer seems to antagonized with Taichi's character. What's the point of showing him in love with Chihaya if the whole thing is unrequited? If Chihaya belongs to Arata that's fine, writer-san should stop making it too damn hard for us Taichi fans. And stop showing us scenes where Taichi can see Chihaya making phone calls to Arata. It's a torture! I figure maybe Suetsugu-san had an unrequited love for a character like Taichi so it's some sort of revenge by creating this really wholesome and likable guy but forbidding him to win in the things that matters most to him. That sounds stupid, but that's the only way I could vent all of these frustrations. My apologies.
Feb 22, 2013 6:11 PM

Apr 2009
Oh wow, Taichi's suffering is never going to end...
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Feb 22, 2013 6:19 PM

Dec 2012
This is starting to get tedious...
gonna let it pile up i guess
Feb 22, 2013 6:27 PM

Jul 2011
Patpat, Taichi. I feel so bad for you. I don't really want any romance in this series though. I like Arata, but I don't want ChihayaxArata.

This anime is magical, I tell you. Big grin on my face with how Chihaya, as well as the Karuta club, affects everyone around them.

I loved the little humorous parts! Splendid, splendid.
MirorinFeb 22, 2013 6:31 PM
Feb 22, 2013 7:16 PM
Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Oh wow, Taichi's suffering is never going to end...
Yeah, he'll have to live his life being friendzoned by Chihaya.
Feb 22, 2013 7:16 PM
Feb 2011
Taichi is learning throughout his ordeals. Life never seems to cease throwing hurdles at him but I strongly believe that is precisely what will make him a man of steel and the payoff of major victories (personal or otherwise) much more satisfying.
Feb 22, 2013 7:24 PM

Jun 2008
:( Taichi
Feb 22, 2013 7:55 PM

Oct 2012
I love Chihayafuru!!! I have never yelled the word "Noooooo!" more at the end of an episode than for this series. I do feel sorry for Taichi, buttttt dont you feel that if he told Chihaya how he felt about her while she still focusing on becoming queen, that it would be too much of a distraction? I mean Chihaya's focus is solely for becoming queen and mastering karata, I think that if something like that were thrown into the mix it would be too much of a distraction. Taichi just needs to keep his head up and realize that Chihaya might not be ready until she realizes there is more outside of karata. Cant wait for nationals! (Hoping they dont break it up into too many episodes.)
Feb 22, 2013 8:55 PM

May 2011
chinvincible said:
Kurini said:

The writer seems to antagonized with Taichi's character. What's the point of showing him in love with Chihaya if the whole thing is unrequited?

Partially because I like sad things, but this line in particular I can't quite agree with. I like that his feeling stay despite him knowing Chihaya might also feel something for Arata. It shows a certain strength of character in him not pushing her to decide. And I believe that it is because of his feelings in the first place that he has managed to change himself as a person. Chasing his passion for kurata as well instead of being knocked over by whatever his mother wanted.
Feb 22, 2013 8:58 PM

Jan 2010
Another great episode. Lots of juicy bits… When Kana joined in with Sumire with the 'no rivals' comment. Or Sumire's 'You never know what could happen' and the Empress' shouted response. Or Kana's comment on the meaning of impassionate vs. frenzied. Or Sumire being dragged off by the bear to be eaten.

Then there was Chihaya's awkward offer to let the band use the second floor, inadvertently raising the Empress' to great heights before dropping her again with her karma justification.

The scene in the Oe clothing shoppe was probably the highlight for me though. Chihaya's mother seems to be seeing everything come together for her. Such a simple scene but it was rich with emotion.

It's interesting to see how they are gradually getting noticed and appreciated, after their long walk in the karuta desert.
Feb 22, 2013 9:17 PM

Jan 2010
chinvincible said:
The writer seems to antagonized with Taichi's character. What's the point of showing him in love with Chihaya if the whole thing is unrequited?
fiore777 said:
Partially because I like sad things, but this line in particular I can't quite agree with. I like that his feeling stay despite him knowing Chihaya might also feel something for Arata. It shows a certain strength of character in him not pushing her to decide. And I believe that it is because of his feelings in the first place that he has managed to change himself as a person. Chasing his passion for kurata as well instead of being knocked over by whatever his mother wanted.

I've been mulling this over for a while but after last week's episode, I think that Taichi should forget about Chihaya romantically and just go out and run the table. Whether at school, the karuta society, at their big matches or just walking down the street, romantic opportunities abound for him and he'd be better off partaking of them. The only time that Chihaya has seemingly noticed him is when she feels denied by him. Either when she discovered that he had a girlfriend, one with an appalling sense of familiarity, or when he wouldn't let her in his room. But as long as he's been his normal, decent self, he has been invisible and has suffered. All of his constraints are self-imposed. He needs to break free of his shackles.

Regarding Arata… Chihaya still sees him as the god of Karuta. And she will continue to do so until she achieves her karuta dream… to play him at the Nationals. Until then, he's mostly a literary device, a catalyst, a looming presence casting his shadow over both Chihaya and Taichi. I'm curious to see what she will do, and what Taichi will do, once she's put this event behind her.
MockmanFeb 22, 2013 9:21 PM
Feb 23, 2013 3:08 AM
Dec 2012
The prologue was so serious I was worried about her, but the episode was rather lighthearted.

chinvincible said:
What's the point of showing him in love with Chihaya if the whole thing is unrequited?

Perhaps the point is your life is not always going the way that you desire. Sumire is attreacted to Taichi, he is attracted to Chihaya, and she is interested in Arata. That's life.
Feb 23, 2013 3:33 AM

Jan 2012
Everyone being extra nice on this episode.

Karuta Nationals 2!
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Feb 23, 2013 3:47 AM

Jan 2012
Lol funny episode ;p

And poor Taichi...
Feb 23, 2013 4:10 AM

May 2012
FUCK YOU ARATA, FUCK YOU!!!
Feb 23, 2013 6:18 AM
Jan 2012
Love triangles break my heart, they really do. It's one of the reasons why even though I liked Macross Frontier and watched the last 8 eps in a row, It left a bad aftertaste in my mouth. Then of course, I always tend to root for the coupling that doesn't win!

I prefer Arata to Taichi, athough I love how developed Taichi's character is. This anime is so good that I tear up almost every episode (very rare for me), and sometimes a part of me wishes that it didn't have a love triangle. Fortunately, they seriously underplay it, which is what saves me.

Either way, the first season was one of my top 20 anime, this season is skyrocketing it to one of my top 5 for sure, if it keeps going like this. I always save the episode of Chihayafuru to watch last because I know I'll feel its reverberations for long after I've finished the ep.
Feb 23, 2013 6:28 AM

Jun 2008
Being Taichi really is suffering.
The guy obviously sees that she has a fan-girl attitude towards Arata while she never seems that excited about him and that hurts like hell.
Also confessing his feelings will be pointless since her mind is full of Karuta and also he will only make her life harder by making her think such things and lose her focus. He doesn't want to be blamed or be the reason she fails conquering her karuta goals.
Feb 23, 2013 6:39 AM

Jan 2008
Chihaya thinks of Arata when alone at night...mmmmm, I'm salivating at the thought of more Chihaya x Arata. Ok with Chihaya x Shinobu as well...since she was her first thought.

Yup, I'm a shipper.
Feb 23, 2013 6:40 AM
Dec 2012
Monad said:
The guy obviously sees that she has a fan-girl attitude towards Arata while she never seems that excited about him and that hurts like hell.
Also confessing his feelings will be pointless since her mind is full of Karuta and also he will only make her life harder by making her think such things and lose her focus. He doesn't want to be blamed or be the reason she fails conquering her karuta goals.

If he beats Arata in karuta, maybe he will win her heart?
Feb 23, 2013 8:44 AM

Jun 2009
It was really nice of Chihaya's mom to buy her a hakama lol too bad they don't really have anything saved up >.>

The whole "we are into the second season" part was funny
And the band playing the school song to cheer for the karuta club was beautiful T-T

Poor Taichi :(
Feb 23, 2013 9:57 AM
Jun 2009
GOD DAMN IT ANIME WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME
my poor baby Taichi :<
Feb 23, 2013 3:40 PM

Mar 2012
There's always a "poor Taichi" moment in every episode, isn't there? D:
This episode deviated from the usual competition and practice episodes, but they managed to deal with so many things in one episode. I loved everything from the exploration of the relationship between Chihaya and her mom to the moment where the karuta club received support from the band club. Chihayafuru always delivers.
Feb 23, 2013 4:24 PM

Feb 2008
TAAAAICHI :( my poor bby. ♥

Well, I think Chihaya is like with that with Arata because she doesn't see him on a daily basis like she does with Taichi. Arata IS far away, after all.. ;n;

Maybe if she was with Arata and Taichi was far away, she'd be like that with him too. Thinking about how he's doing, wanting to see him and wanting to talk to him...

/is obviously a Taichi fan. @_@;

& plus Chihaya is probably just taking Taichi's presence for granted too, since he's always there.

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, give it a thousand reasons to smile. =]
Feb 23, 2013 7:08 PM

Feb 2011
A great episode, especially the last part of the episode ( I'm shipping for Arata x Chihaya hands down and hopefully they're see each other again). ^_^
Feb 23, 2013 8:00 PM
Jan 2013
I really like how this episode took some time to recoop and get the team back on solid ground after than loss. It was really inspiring to see all the people supporting them, from the Empress, to Chihaya's mom, to even the school band. This sentiment is a major part of what I love behind this show: the sincerity.

The part with Chihaya's mom was especially awesome because we rarely see an active mother-daughter relationship in anime where the mother is neither terrible nor perfect, but just trying to help out her children the best that she can with some mistakes.

Also, I like how we got to know more about the name of the show; it reminds us of the beauty behind the poems in karuta and the literary base of the show. Its nice to see a bit of symbolism and such; depth is appreciated in such matters.

In regards to Taichi, I would like to see some actual communication between him and Chihaya again; we've been getting too many longing glances lately while he has been ignored by her. I really like their interactions and would like to see some development again.
Feb 23, 2013 9:44 PM

Nov 2008
I hate it when it keeps ending with Taichi feeling sad.

And I have to say that the way that girl asked that question it seemed like the obvious answer was Arata since she doesn't see him at all. Taichi is there all the time so she can't really miss him or anything.

I want Taichi to be with Chihaya!
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Feb 23, 2013 9:51 PM

Mar 2011
Monad said:

Feb 23, 2013 10:14 PM

May 2010
AlexTheRiot said:
Kurogashi said:
mind = blown.
beautiful voice.

She does quite a bit of singing in Tari Tari as well. Damn good voice.

Wow,so she sings that beautiful song.
Feb 23, 2013 10:31 PM

Jul 2011
Edefrem said:
Monad said:

Naruto v2...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2013

138 by bassyey »»
Mar 16, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2013

160 by fathandz »»
Feb 17, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2013

136 by fathandz »»
Feb 15, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2013

181 by fathandz »»
Feb 11, 3:38 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 10, 2013

110 by fathandz »»
Feb 7, 9:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.