Forum Settings
Forums

Director of Psycho-Pass Apologizes for Poor Quality of Episode 18

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 22, 2013 8:37 AM

May 2012
Why are people even comparing PP to Meguca or FZ? They're completely different genres.

Glad he said that, even if the episode wasn't unwatchable. PP is pretty hard to animate, compared to other animes, so I can even understand if, being put under pressure, they did a shitty job.
Feb 22, 2013 12:10 PM

Oct 2007
Yes, this episode was ugly but it didn't stop it from being one of the better in the series. Interactions between all characters were greater than ever before in PP.
Feb 22, 2013 12:37 PM

Oct 2007
Yvese said:
Why the hell are people talking about moe in this thread? If you hate it so much that you'd bring it up in a non-related anime/thread, go post about it in your blog.

Jeez.
Why would you say it's not-related? Moe elements were certainly hurt by poor quality of this episode . I want to see BD version
Feb 22, 2013 12:58 PM

Apr 2010
Well after watching it i feel that it wasn't THAT bad, just in some specific parts. Let's hope the next episodes have better animation

"Can you feel that hybrid rainbow?"
Feb 22, 2013 1:18 PM

Oct 2007
Voldomino said:
Why are people even comparing PP to Meguca or FZ? They're completely different genres.
Urobuchi created the plot of all three.

lobe said:
I would say Psycho Pass is the best currently airing anime.
I'd say it isn't even top5 of this or last season. I doubt you would like most of my recommendations though. Probably only Chihayafuru and maybe Mondaiji. Oh, and Space Brothers obviously.

I'm surprised at some people in this thread. It looks like you only noticed problems with quality recently while they were there since the beginning.
Feb 22, 2013 1:21 PM
Jul 2012
lobe said:

Aggred
Feb 22, 2013 2:07 PM

Mar 2012
rederoin said:
TheUnknownOne said:
rederoin said:

The Irony was that it did have Moe.
They only said that to appeal to people like you, a wise choice if it made them more money.
Say it doesn't have 'moe' and the 'moe'-haters will get interested in it, a genius idea if you think about it.

Um, no it didn't. Please don't kid yourself, moe isn't terrible because it's moe, moe is terrible because it conforms into a majority of which is simply cute girls doing cute things. It's about as fruitful as watching The Simpsons, except even less funny.

Yes it did, moe is a 'feeling' its a subjective.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=503103

Read this before talking.

Great episode, shit animations/art. Buts its good that we got a notice of it, hope they fixed it.

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Feb 22, 2013 2:26 PM

Oct 2007
Raven-san said:

You are the one who needs to read a little more than title of thread you linked. It was forbidden to use word "moe" during meeting, nothing more. It doesn't mean there's no moe in Psycho-Pass. Actually, anyone who knows definition of the term should know it's hard, if not outright impossible to NOT have moe elements in the series as "moe" is just a subjective feeling. What's more, if you look at Psycho-Pass, you'll notice there's plenty of moe elements in this show. They're especially noticeable in Ginoza, Kougami, Kagari and Akane.

I'd advise you to read the whole thread you linked, paying particular attention to posts written by jmal and symbv.
Feb 22, 2013 2:37 PM

Mar 2012
Progeusz said:
Raven-san said:

You are the one who needs to read a little more than title of thread you linked. It was forbidden to use word "moe" during meeting, nothing more. It doesn't mean there's no moe in Psycho-Pass. Actually, anyone who knows definition of the term should know it's hard, if not outright impossible to NOT have moe elements in the series as "moe" is just a subjective feeling. What's more, if you look at Psycho-Pass, you'll notice there's plenty of moe elements in this show. They're especially noticeable in Ginoza, Kougami, Kagari and Akane.

I'd advise you to read the whole thread you linked, paying particular attention to posts written by jmal and symbv.

Well I certainly dont see or feel this "moe" feeling you said when watching this. I dont like Akane as a character as well.

And here's another creepy face
skwok-ravenFeb 22, 2013 2:41 PM

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Feb 22, 2013 2:41 PM
Nov 2010
GoldenBRS said:
lobe said:

Aggred
You two must not be watching Shinsekai then.
Feb 22, 2013 2:52 PM

Mar 2012
jmal said:
Raven-san said:
Well I certainly dont see or feel this "moe" feeling you said when watching this.

Well, yeah exactly. That's just what they were saying: it's a subjective thing. Not everyone is going to feel it at the same time about the same things. So it's perfectly reasonable for something to not evoke a moe feeling from you, but to do so for someone else. There's nothing wrong with that.

True enough. Everyone has their own opinions/feelings to the show.

Feb 22, 2013 6:33 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Clean Up
Moe is not the subject of this discussion and the argument about it has been cleaned up.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Feb 22, 2013 8:10 PM

Aug 2011
Wasn't even that bad. It's a damn good show regardless and the fact that the director apologized personally is very respectable.
Feb 22, 2013 8:39 PM

Sep 2012
Yeah, i thought i'd noticed someting wrong with the animation in this one...
Feb 22, 2013 8:41 PM

Jul 2011
Yikes, he wasn't kidding that lip movement...kinda made me feel nostalgic though. It was like i was watching a dubbed Bruce Lee film.
Feb 22, 2013 9:25 PM
Feb 2013
Candor said:
lobe said:

But for what I have offered to me right now.. I would say Psycho Pass is the best currently airing anime. I mean what else do I have to turn too? Magi?(although I do find myself entertained by this), Naruto(hell no..), One Piece(like once a month I can stand this), that show about the psychics or whatever(I watch it sometimes its kinda interesting a little bit)..There is really nothing else out there currently that appeals to my interests.
Do yourself a favor and start watching Space Brothers and Hunter x Hunter (2011). HxH is being animated by Madhouse, so the animation is pretty amazing so far (67 eps till now, consistent animation quality). Add to that a great source material..
Space Brothers is more mature without any school setting or teenagers, but it's still SoL and comedy, and pretty amazing at that.

Those are the 2 best anime that are airing currently, for me at least.

OT:
Good thing I put it on-hold before knowing that it's gonna have bad animation. (though I think it'd be acceptable if the plot of the episode is interesting)

Btw, do we have to wait for the BDs or is it gonna air soon with better animation? Any news of that yet?

I watch the Space Brothers anime.

I dont like the reboot of HxH because of how kiddy the show is. Also I just generally dont like the characters. If you go and watch the original series it was much darker. I actually liked the original version better.
Feb 22, 2013 9:32 PM
Feb 2013
Progeusz said:
Voldomino said:
Urobuchi created the plot of all three.

lobe said:
I'd say it isn't even top5 of this or last season. I doubt you would like most of my recommendations though. Probably only Chihayafuru and maybe Mondaiji. Oh, and Space Brothers obviously.

I'm surprised at some people in this thread. It looks like you only noticed problems with quality recently while they were there since the beginning.

First two hell no. But I do like and watch space brothers. I just lose interest in it after a while and then pick it up again after a few weeks. Also the quality has been OK for most of series I mean what do you guys expect? Perfection? Most of the earlier quality issues were so minor that you wouldn't even notice them unless you already knew they were there or were searching desperately for quality issues to pick at.

This recent episode is the only exception where it literally looks half finished.
Feb 22, 2013 11:55 PM

Jun 2011
VioLink said:
Shaduge said:
there is always a poor quality in the eps, it's called akane

Hahaha no.

Agreed :3
Feb 23, 2013 4:15 AM

Oct 2011
how considerate :)
Feb 23, 2013 7:39 AM
Oct 2011
lobe said:
Candor said:
lobe said:

But for what I have offered to me right now.. I would say Psycho Pass is the best currently airing anime. I mean what else do I have to turn too? Magi?(although I do find myself entertained by this), Naruto(hell no..), One Piece(like once a month I can stand this), that show about the psychics or whatever(I watch it sometimes its kinda interesting a little bit)..There is really nothing else out there currently that appeals to my interests.
Do yourself a favor and start watching Space Brothers and Hunter x Hunter (2011). HxH is being animated by Madhouse, so the animation is pretty amazing so far (67 eps till now, consistent animation quality). Add to that a great source material..
Space Brothers is more mature without any school setting or teenagers, but it's still SoL and comedy, and pretty amazing at that.

Those are the 2 best anime that are airing currently, for me at least.

OT:
Good thing I put it on-hold before knowing that it's gonna have bad animation. (though I think it'd be acceptable if the plot of the episode is interesting)

Btw, do we have to wait for the BDs or is it gonna air soon with better animation? Any news of that yet?

I watch the Space Brothers anime.

I dont like the reboot of HxH because of how kiddy the show is. Also I just generally dont like the characters. If you go and watch the original series it was much darker. I actually liked the original version better.
Dunno if you're still watching the series, but if you aren't and you're still one of those "Oh it's too kiddy and colorful, 1999 is better because it's darker", then you're missing a lot. Yorkshin 2012 literally blew Yorkshin 1999 out of the water, not to mention that the Chimera Ant arc will be animated.
Candor123Feb 23, 2013 7:43 AM
Feb 23, 2013 7:50 AM

Apr 2010
lobe said:

The only thing "Darker" is the color palette.

Feb 23, 2013 9:36 AM

Jun 2012
nah,it was awesome,makishima is a genious
lol
Feb 23, 2013 3:04 PM

Nov 2011
I read the news on the site of reference in Italian, but for completeness I want express my opinion here since I read first on MAL. Tsk! Apologize too easy with a simple tweet, they had to make amends by sending someone from the production to be devoured by the angry comments of users via a press conference.
Feb 23, 2013 8:04 PM

Jan 2010
At 10:42 for Commie-sub, Ginoza teleported forward.

This episode quality is so bad that I was laughing the whole time
Feb 24, 2013 3:00 AM

Jan 2010
This crappy animation reminds me of Shinsekai Yori and Deadman Wonderland, though they had a pretty earthquaky reason to explain the flaws in Deadman (despite the fact that the show itself was a piece of poo).

Anyway, look forward to ep19.
hate capital letters.
deal with it.
Feb 24, 2013 10:18 AM

Feb 2009
Even if ep. 18 had bad artwork this show is still the best right now.
Feb 24, 2013 8:26 PM

Jul 2010
did notice something wrong this episode. and episode 17 as well in regards to their faces. but its gonna be fixed in the DB anyway

Feb 24, 2013 10:56 PM

Nov 2012
supermegasonic said:
did notice something wrong this episode. and episode 17 as well in regards to their faces. but its gonna be fixed in the DB anyway

forgive my ignorance, but what's a DB? (DVD/Bluray?)

By "incomplete" did they mean there was plot missing or just the derpy animation? The animation was noticeably sub par in eps 17-18...
Feb 24, 2013 11:15 PM

Nov 2007
SleepyBear said:
supermegasonic said:

By "incomplete" did they mean there was plot missing or just the derpy animation? The animation was noticeably sub par in eps 17-18...

He probably means BD (Blu-Ray Disc) instead of DB.

I would assume "incomplete" means that they cut corners in the animation due to possible time constraints or budget constraints, just to get the episode out in time of the airing on Friday morning. The result is the inconsistencies in animation during ep17 and more so in ep18.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Feb 24, 2013 11:23 PM

Mar 2012
He should have apologized for the poor quality of the whole show.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Feb 24, 2013 11:25 PM

Sep 2012
Post-Josh said:
He should have apologized for the poor quality of the whole show.
Why not for the "poor quality" of the whole anime industry, which I guess is what you really want?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Feb 24, 2013 11:27 PM

Mar 2012
Haha, what?
LoneWolf said:
Feb 24, 2013 11:30 PM

Sep 2012
Post-Josh said:
Haha, what?
If this show has poor quality, may I ask what do you think of the quality of other shows this season or in the recent seasons?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Feb 24, 2013 11:37 PM

Mar 2012
Well I didn't read the OP until just now, so I didn't know it was about animation quality, lol. It does have pretty great animation, from what I recall.
LoneWolf said:
Feb 25, 2013 11:36 AM

Jul 2010
Ejc said:
SleepyBear said:
supermegasonic said:

He probably means BD (Blu-Ray Disc) instead of DB.

I would assume "incomplete" means that they cut corners in the animation due to possible time constraints or budget constraints, just to get the episode out in time of the airing on Friday morning. The result is the inconsistencies in animation during ep17 and more so in ep18.

crap, sorry, i meant BD, thats you would write in referring to Blu-ray/DVD.

symbv said:
Post-Josh said:
Haha, what?
If this show has poor quality, may I ask what do you think of the quality of other shows this season or in the recent seasons?

better to ask this in another thread, i can guarantee nothing good will come out of this here

Feb 25, 2013 7:01 PM

Jul 2010
No wonder it looked like that ,I thought it was the YouTube channel.
Apology accepted
Feb 26, 2013 9:32 PM

Sep 2008
The one thing I don't understand is why are the production staffs have so much time on changing the opening and ending scene and yet so little time to fix on the episode 18?
Feb 26, 2013 10:10 PM

Apr 2011
ShoutaAzuma said:
The one thing I don't understand is why are the production staffs have so much time on changing the opening and ending scene and yet so little time to fix on the episode 18?

Because that would just make too much sense
Feb 27, 2013 7:13 AM
Jun 2009
ShoutaAzuma said:

They usually have different people working on different parts of the show, hence the unit director. Sometimes it really is just a matter of poor scheduling and quality control.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by AwNoodles »»
12 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 3 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
3 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.