Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 20, 2013 7:38 AM

Jun 2012
Apparently, it is impossible to find the "that's a lie" scene from Higurashi's second episode that's not an English dub. Well, that was the only scene in Higurashi that truly creeped me out.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 20, 2013 8:00 AM

Jul 2012
The end of Berserk scared the crap out of me. I will not elaborate. Go watch the anime.
Feb 20, 2013 8:17 AM

Sep 2012
It's odd no one said yet that Boku no Pico has frightened them.
Feb 20, 2013 8:45 AM

Aug 2012
The only anime that's really made me frightened was episode three of this one series. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but it had this girl that basically became a supervillain and ripped a guy's spine straight out of him, but even then, it was more just gruesome than actually scary.

Aside from that, the visual novel Kara no Shoujo is legitimately scary. I mean, it's not only gruesome, but it makes you wicked paranoid.
Feb 20, 2013 8:47 AM

Jun 2012
Litrydow said:
It's odd no one said yet that Boku no Pico has frightened them.
It only frightened me because I got weirdest boner from it.

Feb 20, 2013 9:28 AM

Apr 2012
No media has "truly frightened me", probably because I watch in quite an abstract way and that would require a lot of identification of fictional events with reality. But I think anime does as well as anything else when it comes to providing "horror-type thrills". Highlights:

The early arcs of Higurashi do actually work quite well as horror, particularly the first, stuff like "why are you doing all the same things as Satoshi did?" or Rena outside Keiichi's house.

Scattered bits of Boogiepop Phantom

From the New World, frequently. Take, for example, the episode which ends up with Saki crossing a warning line thing in a boat. Ramps up the tension superbly.

There was one moment in Narutaru, where Hiroko's dragonet is jumping from roof to roof, not clear who it's going to murder next...

Shiki does an excellent job of making vampires back into proper monsters, not just well-worn tropes.

The relentless aggression of a few of the monsters in Blood-C is rather effective.

And even little Denou Coil, by dint of sheer quality manages to sneak under the radar a couple of times and tempt you into its ghost story aesthetics without raising defences. Almost Doctor Who-like.
Feb 20, 2013 9:35 AM

Dec 2011
Nope.
Feb 20, 2013 10:49 AM

Sep 2012
Monster, sometimes. And Welcome to the NHK!, but that's for a completely different reason. There are some episodes of certain anime I found disturbing, but they belonged to series that were not scary or trying to be scary overall.
Feb 20, 2013 10:53 AM
Jul 2018
logopolis said:

Scattered bits of Boogiepop Phantom

Man was Episode 4 so good.
Feb 20, 2013 11:09 AM

Sep 2012
Holybaptiser said:
Apparently, it is impossible to find the "that's a lie" scene from Higurashi's second episode that's not an English dub. Well, that was the only scene in Higurashi that truly creeped me out.

This one?
Feb 20, 2013 11:35 AM

Jun 2012
Jauregui said:
Holybaptiser said:

This one?
Yeah, that one. What an odd way to name a video =/

Edit - Just realized it is the Japanese word for 'liar.'
HolybaptiserFeb 20, 2013 11:38 AM

Feb 20, 2013 11:40 AM
Feb 2012
Ain't going to lie, but Shuffle... ._.
Feb 20, 2013 12:30 PM

Jan 2013
Lindle said:
Well, at any rate: Mononoke is fantastic. Though the scariest part is the last 3 episodes of Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror, which is what Mononoke originated from.

So yeah. There's at least one more answer.

Yeah it looks really good, just added it to my plan to watch list.
I don't have a signature.
Feb 20, 2013 12:34 PM

Oct 2012
There is this one Anime I used to watch as a kid, it was probably a movie. Anyways there was this one really frightening female character who lived underwater, she was the villain and had jewels all over her buddy.
Feb 20, 2013 12:36 PM
Jul 2012
MarineSlate said:
Ain't going to lie, but Shuffle... ._.

Feb 20, 2013 1:17 PM

Oct 2012
Nope. Never.

"Why did he have to surrender, what is more in the outside world, huh, sumptuousness, freedom? Nowhere in the world are you going to find them fools! Fools!" -USSR president, Future War 198X-nen
Feb 20, 2013 1:29 PM

Sep 2012
Not really scared... but Another had a few scenes that were really tense.

Kind of like "Crap I hope my favorite character won't die! Who's it gonna be??"
Feb 20, 2013 1:40 PM

Sep 2012
A full anime has never frightened me, but the Twins arc from Black Lagoon creeped me out extremely and a lot just made me feel uncomfortable watching it.
This pretty much sums it up.
FuzzyPeachManFeb 20, 2013 2:16 PM
Feb 20, 2013 2:18 PM

Feb 2013
No, I haven't watched anything yet that I'd say frightened me, but there was one experience that unnerved me quite a bit. Watching End of Evangelion for the first time, late at night while I was completely alone in the house.

That imagery man...I didn't sleep that well that night... xD
Feb 20, 2013 2:22 PM

Feb 2012
When I was a kid I would assume many anime were able to scare me, but since I started streaming I have never been scared by an anime.
Feb 20, 2013 3:12 PM

Nov 2012
Another
When that girl died from having an umbrella go threw her neck, I threw out every umbrella in my house.
Feb 20, 2013 4:39 PM

Apr 2012
billy00 said:
Another
When that girl died from having an umbrella go threw her neck, I threw out every umbrella in my house.

I remember that. Another was the only somewhat frighting anime I've seen so far
Feb 20, 2013 4:52 PM

Jan 2013
When I was young, I watched a HIgurashi scene. I was frightened.

But now when I watch it, it makes me feel sad, really sad.

Feb 20, 2013 5:03 PM

Feb 2010
hell girl the way people acted in that is frightening because there are real people who do just as horrible things and get away with it
ghost hunt blood stained labyrinth nuff said
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 20, 2013 5:22 PM

Oct 2012
no an anime has never scared me
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 20, 2013 5:25 PM

Mar 2012
No. I don't get scared at media, whether it be anime, TV shows, or movies.
Feb 20, 2013 6:17 PM

Jan 2013
I still haven't watched any of the most quoted shows in this thread (Higurashi, Another, Ghost Hunt...), but considering my tiny list I can say that I found some things kinda creepy. Such as Shadow Yuuko in Tasogare Otome x Amnesia (but I liked it way more in the manga rather), the Steins;Gate messages (as someone already said) and also Yuuko's monologue in the sixth episode of Ef - a Tale of Melodies. That one was disturbing actually, more than creepy.

Nothing has literally scared me so far, anyway.
I'm a self-taught composer, and here you can find the tracks I've composed so far:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kiusdexra

https://soundcloud.com/marko-poskurica

A single click on each one of them would make me really happy!

If you want to make any comment or critic, do it on my profile or as a comment on youtube / soundcloud!
Feb 20, 2013 6:29 PM

Jun 2009
While there's no anime that truly frighten me, I do fear for character's life occasionally.

An episode of Aria The Natural really stood out to me.

Another example is definitely Ghost Hunt
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2013 6:31 PM

Jan 2013
Shuffle made me run out of the room and sit in a hot bath for like an hour shaking.

Not because I was scared, but because they NAILED bipolar stalker sociopathic behavior.

Edit:

Also Another = The Ring

Higurashi = Saw 2 with good writing like Saw 1.
SolviteWoTaberuFeb 20, 2013 6:42 PM
Feb 20, 2013 6:41 PM

Jun 2009
Solvite said:
Higurashi = Saw 2

I think you have a pretty fucked perception of Higurashi, man.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 20, 2013 6:42 PM

Sep 2012
Solvite said:
Also Another = Final Destination
Fixed.
Feb 20, 2013 6:42 PM

Jan 2013
Red_Keys said:
Solvite said:
Fixed.

Nevermind you are right.
Feb 20, 2013 6:43 PM
Jul 2012
Red_Keys said:
Solvite said:
Fixed.

Perfect.
Feb 20, 2013 6:46 PM

Jun 2012
I always shed a single concentrated tear when I see people badmouth Higurashi.

Feb 20, 2013 6:48 PM
Jul 2012
Holybaptiser said:

I cry my eyes out. Maybe as bad as when solvite watched afterstory
Feb 20, 2013 6:51 PM

Jan 2013
Holybaptiser said:

I'm not intending to bad mouth it.

I was going more for the STYLE of the horror, not the quality of the shows.

Another is like the Ring because its slow and action happens really fast out of nowhere, in an attempt to catch you off guard.

Higurashi is like Saw for me because it plays on your inherent fears by making you see how horrifying it would be to be in a situation where what happens is mostly out of your control.
Feb 20, 2013 6:53 PM

Oct 2012
Finish season one of Higurashi and see season two already...

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Feb 20, 2013 6:56 PM

Jan 2013
Tavor said:
Finish season one of Higurashi and see season two already...

I'm 12 episodes in, but I have to take a break after every arc and allow my brain to not get enraged hearing the festival story again.

Edit: This is starting to look like i'm chatting, which is a bad habit of mine. I'll leave it at this.
Feb 20, 2013 7:29 PM

Oct 2010
I was so scared of Another that I would skip throughout the episodes beforehand to see if there were any death scenes.

I'm too scared to watch Psycho-Pass and Tokyo Revelations because I hear there's some really nasty stuff in them.

When I was younger, I covered my eyes at Byakuya's sakura slicing thing from Bleach.

You guys will laugh, but I covered my eyes in SAO during the

Feb 20, 2013 7:30 PM

Jan 2013
shirayuki75 said:
I was so scared of Another that I would skip throughout the episodes beforehand to see if there were any death scenes.

I'm too scared to watch Psycho-Pass and Tokyo Revelations because I hear there's some really nasty stuff in them.

When I was younger, I covered my eyes at Byakuya's sakura slicing thing from Bleach.

Well this thread will be useless soon.

The death scenes in Another are really REALLY horrifyingly well done I think, at least compared to most anime.
Feb 20, 2013 7:31 PM
Jul 2018
shirayuki75 said:

If you had to cover your eyes because of that, I would hate to see what would happen if you ever saw Shigurui.
Feb 20, 2013 8:40 PM

Feb 2010
to all though that say nothing frightens you i have one thing to say
GrimAtramentFeb 20, 2013 9:06 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 20, 2013 9:08 PM

Jul 2007
The first arc of Higurashi left me curled up in the fetal position when I first watched it when it came out. Before that, it was End of Evangelion, which wasn't so much frightening as disturbing. Very, very disturbing.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Feb 20, 2013 9:30 PM

Feb 2013
Berserker... everyone knows the episode i'm talking about
Feb 20, 2013 10:34 PM

Aug 2012
Lindle said:
I'm beginning to wonder if anybody has actually seen any horror anime that isn't Higurashi. Not counting stuff like Hellsing or HOTD which is supposed to be fun and gory, not scary.

Honestly.. I mean, Mononoke is pretty frickin' scary.
Feb 20, 2013 10:36 PM

Aug 2012
Lindle said:
zbignew said:
I've been terrified while I was watching Highschool of the dead... The lack of plot terrified me, not to mention the character development.

And this is what would happen were we in the same room just now:

We would play basketball? :D Or is that a highfive?
WankyMcCuntfaceFeb 21, 2013 5:38 AM
You best be joking, nigger.
Feb 20, 2013 10:37 PM
Jul 2018
I don't really know how people consider Higurashi scary at all.

All the story arcs start out with some crappy harem slice of life scenarios with painfully, almost comically cliche'd (but not just any cliche, annoying, fanservice oriented fetish harem cliches) characters and then it moves into its attempt at horror, which might be mildly successful at first, but how many times can the boggle eyed dementia and laughter creep you out? It never pulls anything scarier.
Feb 20, 2013 10:38 PM

Aug 2012
gregfields said:
Berserker... everyone knows the episode i'm talking about

I think you mean Berserk, and if so I totally agree.
I do think the manga is a bit more appealing, however.. (in its unappealing way)
Feb 20, 2013 10:40 PM

Aug 2012
Neane1993 said:

All the story arcs start out with some crappy harem slice of life scenarios with painfully, almost comically cliche'd (but not just any cliche, annoying, fanservice oriented fetish harem cliches) characters and then it moves into its attempt at horror, which might be mildly successful at first, but how many times can the boggle eyed dementia and laughter creep you out? It never pulls anything scarier.

I've yet to watch any Higurashi, but it seems you've hit my thoughts on how it would turn out spot on. It just seems like more of a 'shock' series which lacks any true depth or substance.. Like Lindle said, go for Ayakashi or Mononoke for some true classic japanese horror.
Feb 20, 2013 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
UnusDominus said:
Neane1993 said:

I've yet to watch any Higurashi, but it seems you've hit my thoughts on how it would turn out spot on. It just seems like more of a 'shock' series which lacks any true depth or substance..

Death Note, Code Geass, Elfen Lied, Higurashi, Guilty Crown and Deadman Wonderland...all series that only rely upon simple Shock moments in order to impress the viewer, but "Shock moments" and a bit of blood and implied do not justify bad story-telling, but teens seem to like this kind of stuff.

Anyway, I agree with you that Mononoke is pretty much required viewing for anyone who claims to be a "fan of horror anime".
removed-userFeb 20, 2013 10:59 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

78 by MedK001 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 8 hours ago

33 by Nirinbo »»
5 minutes ago

» Can Anime Elves Become Overweight ?

tchitchouan - Yesterday

12 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
18 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

72 by ChouunShiryuu »»
23 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

55 by Pokitaru »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.