Forum Settings
Forums

am i the only one dissapointed on how gaming has changed

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Feb 21, 2013 5:46 AM

I'm a fan of older games too. They imparted a greater sense of adventure. No games are truly linear, but they should give the illusion of non-linearity. I blame the change when the shift to 3D made it impractical to make huge open-world maps. Some of you will point to sandbox games, but you don't get it...
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

Feb 21, 2013 5:49 AM
otaking
GreenCourage said:
gaming nowadays holds your hands and tells you where to go step by step.

Ocarina of Time? Here go to this castle. That's it. You're in a vast field, and they never informed you if you didn't make it during day time you wouldn't be able to get in and that kid stalfos would appear & attack you.

Also playing CoD competitively doesn't stand close to competitive Melee, or Speedrunning a game in my opinion.

or Playing a fighter ay pro level lik battle bowl[ evo is joke to me ]
cod can enver be hard core cause games thAT DO not require a strategic mind are nor hard core
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Feb 21, 2013 6:23 AM
hazerddex said:
-gaming difficulty and the definition of hardcore
megaman zero was hardcore highly challenging and brutal but strangely fun.
fear and shogo had really well though out a.i posing a challenge for player.
Now every ones calling games like COD hardcore O_o did i miss something because last i checked that was a rather easy game. games like lost planet 2 that was difficult and fun gets flack for having a good difficulty.

-more expensive for less stuff and planned dlc
example: COD BF3 are both $60 and both have stuff they planned for dlc instead of things they though of adding after the game was out for a while, like with the fear expiation packs or age of empires 2.

while games like gantlet dark legacy where rather cheep if memory serves me right i got mine for $40 OR $45 but it had hours of game play.

-color pallete
many modern games have this problem its like gray dusty tan mostly dull colors meh.

- unimaginative gameplay
skyrm suffers from this
playing this game i feel like my character just picked up a random sword and just swings it around no fineness no skill (except for the finisher attacks)
you can't even climb the dragons. shadow of the colossus came out before this game and you could climb the bosses.

maybe im getting old :|
thoughts?

Reminds me of Gin-San's Wizardry Generation to Polygon gen.

Feb 21, 2013 12:02 PM

The previously mentioned DLC (especially the on-disc types) is among some of the things that annoy me about 'modern' gaming. I know some of it is good and can extend the life of a game, but a lot of times to me, it feels like content was purposely withheld in order to be released at a later date as DLC. I miss the games where we had to actually earn that bonus content by completing challenges within the game, instead of having to buy it. God of War is a good example. In the first two you unlocked costumes by beating the game on other difficulties, and completing challenges. In the third, you have to buy almost all of them. In Asura's Wrath, you have to buy the "true" ending as DLC.

We also now have things like DRM and copy locked game saves, which I also find quite irritating.

Feb 21, 2013 1:07 PM

DateYutaka said:
GreenCourage said:
gaming nowadays holds your hands and tells you where to go step by step.

Ocarina of Time? Here go to this castle. That's it. You're in a vast field, and they never informed you if you didn't make it during day time you wouldn't be able to get in and that kid stalfos would appear & attack you.

Also playing CoD competitively doesn't stand close to competitive Melee, or Speedrunning a game in my opinion.

or Playing a fighter ay pro level lik battle bowl[ evo is joke to me ]
cod can enver be hard core cause games thAT DO not require a strategic mind are nor hard core

How can you say playing cod doesnt require a strategic mind? sure playing against all the 10 year olds doesnt really. but when you step into the competitive side of things you have to use strategy, guessing you have never played a shooter competitively?
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?

Feb 22, 2013 7:35 AM

I never played it, but you might be interested in playing Fortune Summoners, as I've heard that it's really difficult. Some people say that it's harder than Dark Souls.

Oh, and Demonophobia (a free adventure/horror game) was a nightmare to play for me. Good luck getting through that without a walkthrough.

Feb 22, 2013 10:20 AM
Dead Rising 2
Prince of Persia games

... what else?

Feb 24, 2013 2:55 AM

if you are looking for a difficult game try super street fighter iv, ive recently started playing it and i found it to be very challenging, complex, and strategic. best of all it rewards skill.

Feb 24, 2013 8:38 PM

I honestly think things are merging, theres lest options and games are more like movies than games now.

I prefer 90s action rpgs

but I love the last story among other games like that. Illussions of gaia on the snes, and some rail shooters.

Feb 24, 2013 8:42 PM

The opinion displayed in this thread is so ridiculous.

Every 5 years gamers pretend the games made 5 years earlier were so much better and harder than newer games.

Its the same with music, movies, and books.

Just because you feel nostalgia for the games you played as a kid, does not mean gaming is going downhill.

Feb 24, 2013 8:48 PM

Ugh you're right. Nothing should ever change ever. Because it will always be worse. We need to go back to old style gaming.

Feb 24, 2013 8:54 PM

Tachii said:
Whether it's good or bad, the top gaming companies are streamlining most of their games to fit a more casual audience. This is a trend and a logical one at that in terms of business sense.

I also believe much of the old games' difficulty is often due to overlooked game mechanics or inability to utilize the limited resources given.

But hard games still exist. Indie games have been on the rise lately and like said already, you need to know where to look.

I prefer not to use the word hardcore. It's an arbitrary label that creates all sort of senseless conflict among gamers over a word.

Yup, it's an evolving genre, and in terms of age it has just hit puberty. So right now people are trying to figure out where to take it, does more casual work, or more artsy, or maybe dark and grim? And ultimately it's up to the people to decide what happens in the future by what they buy.
On my way to become the most passable anime watcher!

Feb 24, 2013 9:02 PM

This thread has a hidden agenda.

Its just the OP trying to seem like an OG gamer by letting everyone know how old he is.

Feb 26, 2013 3:59 PM

Solvite said:
This thread has a hidden agenda.

Its just the OP trying to seem like an OG gamer by letting everyone know how old he is.

what?
any way got my hands on touhou (so good :D)
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

Feb 26, 2013 5:51 PM

hazerddex said:
megaman zero was hardcore highly challenging and brutal but strangely fun.
fear and shogo had really well though out a.i posing a challenge for player.
Now every ones calling games like COD hardcore O_o did i miss something because last i checked that was a rather easy game. games like lost planet 2 that was difficult and fun gets flack for having a good difficulty.

-color pallete
many modern games have this problem its like gray dusty tan mostly dull colors meh.

I don't have a signature.

Feb 27, 2013 7:46 AM

Solvite said:

Every 5 years gamers pretend the games made 5 years earlier were so much better and harder than newer games.

It's not nostalgia it's overexposure, I've played well over a 1000 different games and everything looks boring and uninspired, if I'd started my very first video game this generation I'd think Cod was the best thing ever.
That said, you can't deny that most shooters this generation are brain dead and that most AAA sequels lose game play value.

Feb 28, 2013 11:40 AM

hazerddex said:

Try out the most difficult mode in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and then say that again.
Chaos mode in Tales of Graces f isn't really easy either.
.................................................................................

Feb 28, 2013 2:41 PM

Solvite said:

Its the same with music, movies, and books.

Just because you feel nostalgia for the games you played as a kid, does not mean gaming is going downhill.

People definitely do that, but i must say that games are easier now. not ALL of them of course, there are still some pretty hard ones out there but in the past there were more difficult games (more as in the number of) although mainly because of the format of older games, such as one set of lives to finish the entire game and/or clunky terrible controls. i only die on RE 1 because of the clunky controls >.< i kinda like them though for some reason...

I wouldn't say it was going down hill. it's just that it's been a lot of the same stuff since going to 3d, having said that 2d games were pretty much just clones with different skins. but still, that aside, i can find frickin plenty of new games to play. i still go back and play games that i missed though and for replays :)

EDIT: now i actually think about it, there is more variation these days than the older 2D generations, MUCH more. I don't get all the hate on new games >.> THEY FOCUS ON GRAPHICS TOO MUCH, yeah because they didn't focus on the graphics a lot for 2d games did they...

For the industry as a whole very few games see profit now though, due to insanely high production costs, it is bad in that way.
Modified by jimbob1141, Feb 28, 2013 2:46 PM

Feb 28, 2013 2:56 PM

Gaming is good it is just society all following each other like sheep onto one game.

In modern gaming industry the target audiences are aimed at less intelligent people who only care for graphics and kill to death ratio.

These same people call games such as Final Fantasy shit and boring because it had a plot that they just cannot understand.

Feb 28, 2013 3:02 PM

Juddu said:
Gaming is good it is just society all following each other like sheep onto one game.

In modern gaming industry the target audiences are aimed at less intelligent people who only care for graphics and kill to death ratio.

These same people call games such as Final Fantasy shit and boring because it had a plot that they just cannot understand.

come on now realistically, final fantasy isn't hard to understand AT ALL. they are just closed minded fools i say! plus they gotta look cool by not playing nerd games right?

Feb 28, 2013 3:22 PM

COD and those games are expensive because they can get away with it,
too many people are purchasing their titles and therefore they have no reason whatsoever to stop milking this product until sales starts to dip. It's all about the money sir.

Difference between back then and now is that in those days games were made by gamers for gamers.
Their largest priority nowadays is of course, money.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And you can't really compare games such as Skyrim to SoC, to start off with;
Skyrim is more of a ''make your own story'' type of RPG while SoC is a much more linear and more of a puzzel game actually, with RPG-elements implemented into it.
You didn't win SoC by waving around your sword like a maniac mashing X until they dropped, you won it by solving the question of what ''pattern'' that specific colossus would have. Once you knew this, there were hardly any more ''hardcore'' material left to it since the tough part was to solve that question, not to execute the plan.

And in the end, this all comes down to my first statement anyway, with all the publishers pushing the developers for deadlines and telling them how to make their products more ''appealing'' to the mainstream for high sales purposes, why would they then go for a new, risky but original idea over an already fully popular one? That is much more likely to be an success with the ''mainstream''.
Modified by Amadyeus, Feb 28, 2013 3:41 PM

Feb 28, 2013 3:44 PM

Amadyeus said:
COD and those games are expensive because they can get away with it,
too many people are purchasing their titles and therefore they have no reason whatsoever to stop milking this product until sales starts to dip. It's all about the money sir.

Difference between back then and now is that in those days games were made by gamers for gamers.
Their largest priority nowadays is of course, money.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And you can't really compare games such as Skyrim to SoC, to start off with;
Skyrim is more of a ''make your own story'' type of RPG while SoC is a much more linear and more of a puzzel game actually, with RPG-elements implemented into it.
You didn't win SoC by waving around your sword like a maniac mashing X until they dropped, you won it by solving the question of what ''pattern'' that specific colossus would have. Once you knew this, there were hardly any more ''hardcore'' material left to it since the tough part was to solve that question, not to execute the plan.

And in the end, this all comes down to my first statement anyway, with all the publishers pushing the developers for deadlines and telling them how to make their products more ''appealing'' to the mainstream for high sales purposes, why would they then go for a new, risky but original idea over an already fully popular one? That is much more likely to be an success with the ''mainstream''.

Game production costs are way too high now to not be worrying about money, which is the problem. though i don't see much of a problem with the gaming industry other than games i would like to make huge profits don't and don't get sequels which may have been possible if they made more cash. :)

Feb 28, 2013 3:50 PM

Yeah, games are serious buisness now :P
Most PC developers prio to 2000 were basically small indie companies that came up with one huge successful idea and then turned into these massive juggernaughts that we know today.

I mean if I say, ''Silicon & Synapse'' most people would have no idea what I was talking about, but today everyone knows Blizzard by their current name. Same goes for more companies than just Blizzard, so when those early ''nostalgic'' titles were released that many of us grew up with, these people weren't much more than just small time indie developers.

Feb 28, 2013 3:57 PM

Either a game is Animal Crossing or it's shit.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh - Makes me sad to call myself Canadian.

Feb 28, 2013 4:04 PM

because releasing the same game with a new skin attracts spoilt kids

Feb 28, 2013 4:08 PM

Same shit, different color

Feb 28, 2013 11:46 PM
otaking
Romedbaumann said:
hazerddex said:

Try out the most difficult mode in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and then say that again.
Chaos mode in Tales of Graces f isn't really easy either.

agarest senki on hard or any statrgy rpg on hard

but then again i dislike th idea of rpg with difficultly sliders
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Feb 28, 2013 11:51 PM
otaking
i hate the way the tthere core of the bissunees has changed
ie what are called the biggest companies
at one time [ in japan any way the three were ]
falcom
Chunsoft
square
big thrre arcade makers
were
Capcom
snk
Sega
and we domunated the console market
but then again in pure sales we still do

Mar 3, 2013 2:45 PM

Oh I remember the good old days when I got owned by the first wolf on the road in Gothic 2, or died to some rats in Morrowind <3

Gaming changed because gamers changed. People that actually like a challenge are now a small niche while the casual gamers that just want fun on the spot are the big crowd. Thank Odin we still have indie developers that can make a proper game.

I mostly play RPGs and it saddens me to compare games from my childhood with the garbage that comes out today and is taken as "roleplaying". I want a new generation of Fallout, Planescape Torment, I want back games like Might and Magic or Wizardry (genre that has been dead for too long).
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Mar 3, 2013 8:08 PM

This is the reason I generally stay with games released before 2004. Also, competitive multiplayer has pretty much died - I don't think they are even doing Quake tournaments for money anymore :(

Mar 3, 2013 8:18 PM

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was one of the best first person shooter games ever made.

Don't blame Call of Duty or even the creators of Call of Duty for what it has become.

The two guys that created the first Call of Duty (possibly THE best first person shooter ever made after Goldeneye) wanted to make Modern Warfare 3 into a new game and not repackage the same game anymore, so Activision spread false rumors that they were talking to EA and fired them, stealing their entire IP.

And lol at the competitive multiplayer is dead comment. Should I link you to some Starcraft 2 tournaments?

Mar 3, 2013 9:30 PM

Here is the thing, first off I don't play many "new" games, and the ones I do are like indie most of the time. Some I did, I played skyrim it was kinda cool, I saw it more as just fun to mess around in, Difficultly felt like a problem, when you turn the difficultly up its not really harder... You are just going to have to use more potions and shit...

Difficulty wise I think games should be Like Super Monkey Ball for the gamecube.
This game is super simple just guide the monkey to the goal. There is no jump button or any bullshit. When it gets harder its unique content, not just some bullshit like you take more damage like in most fps difficultly increases. It is such a simple concept, but so much fun. It eases you in the game great for casuals, beginner is easy and I mean realllly easy, anybody can just jump right in and play, then after you play for awhile you move on to expert, expert isn't really that hard, if you use continues over and over again, but guess what to unlock master you gotta beat it with no continues, This is pretty hard, for a long time I didn't even know that mode existed.... It just feels like everyone tries to make shit way complicated and call it "hard" and its more hard cause you gotta remember all of this bullshit. Or the games who just scale up stats or health and damage and call it "hard" It is stupid.

Oh yeah you wanna be competitive, lets play leagues... why even bother playing that game, its just all of this bullshit you gotta learn, and the best part about it is when you get the hang of it, they change everything. You gotta be obsessed with the game to be good at it, even if you are really good you'll just end up a mere gold at best. Being competitive isn't hard either... I win half my game about in leagues after the elo system kicks me in the right place. There is no way I can win 100% so that is dumb, I like goals where I cannot obtain them right away but after playing for a while I can obtain all of them or some of them. Like beating Zelda II I know I can do it, I am almost to the end... I say this cause you can be competitive at anything, I am sure the person complaining can't beat their favorite game faster than the world record holder. Hell I just did mario 64 (16 stars and beat the game) in under 30 mins, far from competitive but still fun to do as a challenge.

Games today feel like the just let you win without barely trying at all. Or it just feels like a cheap challenge. Too bad monkeyball sucks now, and most games that get tons of money poured in them are easy or cheaply Challenging. Morrowind wasn't hard but at least there wasn't a huge fucking arrow pointing to where to go. I had to read the text and figure it out at worst, I would have to look it up in a guide. They don't even let you try to figure it out anymore.

Mar 3, 2013 9:31 PM

Buy Don't Starve.

You are welcome.

Mar 4, 2013 3:55 AM

Barktooth said:
This is the reason I generally stay with games released before 2004. Also, competitive multiplayer has pretty much died - I don't think they are even doing Quake tournaments for money anymore :(

Are you being serious? competitive multiplayer is at an all time high...

Mar 23, 2013 2:47 PM

I hate the way the gaming industry has changed, for pretty much all the reasons given in the OP. However, I've been pretty happy with many of the games Nintendo has been putting out recently, it seems like they've finally stopped ignoring their hardcore audience with games like Paper Mario Sticker Star, Fire Emblem: Awakening , and New Super Mario Bros. U, these games all have unreal difficulty levels, imaginative gameplay, and bright vivid and varied color palettes. Hell they even added a hard mode on Pokemon Black and White 2 for veteran players.

Mar 23, 2013 3:08 PM

maybe cause ive grown up that my view on gaming has change or my taste has just changed over the years, I have been disappointed with certain genres but i have accepted how the gaming universe has evolved into what it is today.

Mar 23, 2013 3:15 PM

The only thing I'm dissapointed in is the lack of innovative gameplay concepts (aka, revolutionary genres and sub-genres)
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds

Pages (2) « 1 [2]